Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Expert

Re: Data Usage Rollover

@Jessler wrote:

Apparently using an acronym that uses the letters Bravo Sierra gets your message flagged for language...

Anyway, Xfinity really needs to adjust the way they are enforcing this data usage policy. If you are going to set a usage allotment, you need to roll my unused alloment for each month. Nine to ten months out of the year I generally run under the 1TB usage, sometimes well under. However, there are times that my household runs over that allotment and I do not believe it is appropriate to be charged for those instances if my average is well under. For example, during summer break when my kids are out of school or when I implement a new backup of my home data, my usage will go up. With that said, if you go back and look at my average usage, it will still be well under the sum of my alloted data usage. Maybe Xfinity needs to start crediting me for each month I go under the data to compensate me for the months that I do. Maybe I will come out ahead in that deal...

I'm not serious about expecting to be credited for my unused usage, but I do absolutely believe Xfinity needs to be doing rollover data if you are going to be charging extra for more data. Seems to me to be the fair thing to do for your customers...

as long as the month has not ended you can call and change to unlimited for the current month. then when don't need unlimited turn it off. the cap works as in 'up to 1 TB' not '1 TB' so there is no rollover.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Data Usage

For the past couple of weeks my data usage has been up but I haven't been using that much. Im the only one who uses the internet & I mostlt browse the internet or game online a couple hours a day. I dont stream netflix or anything else. My new billing cycle started yesterday and its showing I used 54gb in 2 days. How is that possible. Went to sleep last night it was at 33gb and woke up to 54gb. Nothing was running that even uses the internet so whats really going on. I need to know whats going on asap.

Expert

Re: Data Usage

@Neverfold219 wrote:

For the past couple of weeks my data usage has been up but I haven't been using that much. Im the only one who uses the internet & I mostlt browse the internet or game online a couple hours a day. I dont stream netflix or anything else. My new billing cycle started yesterday and its showing I used 54gb in 2 days. How is that possible. Went to sleep last night it was at 33gb and woke up to 54gb. Nothing was running that even uses the internet so whats really going on. I need to know whats going on asap.

do you have PCs that might use a cloud backup service like backblaze? do you have cloud storage for your phone that is backing up your phone?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

No I dont have any of that. The only things connected to my wifi is my laptop, ps4, and cellphone. These things arent on all the time so its not using data all the time

Expert

@Neverfold219 wrote:

No I dont have any of that. The only things connected to my wifi is my laptop, ps4, and cellphone. These things arent on all the time so its not using data all the time

the data hits our accounts in regular updates within 24 hours (always behind). using the stream apps on your X1 equipment uses internet data too, like youtube and netflix.

Frequent Visitor

I don't stream netflix or anything else. I go on youtube maybe twice a week. I rarely go over 100gb a month. So if im doing the same thing every month how did I use 55gb in 2 days. Its impossible. Me just browsing the internet & playing a game online for 2hrs is not gonna use up 55gbs. Lets be real..

Expert

@Neverfold219 wrote:

I don't stream netflix or anything else. I go on youtube maybe twice a week. I rarely go over 100gb a month. So if im doing the same thing every month how did I use 55gb in 2 days. Its impossible. Me just browsing the internet & playing a game online for 2hrs is not gonna use up 55gbs. Lets be real..

how is it today? (data probably from 08/31 to 8/2 shown on 8/3)

Frequent Visitor

Turned it off last night. Barely used it today now its at 82gb. So overnight it went up alomost 30gb without me using it. 

Regular Visitor

Re: Data Usage Rollover

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jessler wrote:

Apparently using an acronym that uses the letters Bravo Sierra gets your message flagged for language...

Anyway, Xfinity really needs to adjust the way they are enforcing this data usage policy. If you are going to set a usage allotment, you need to roll my unused alloment for each month. Nine to ten months out of the year I generally run under the 1TB usage, sometimes well under. However, there are times that my household runs over that allotment and I do not believe it is appropriate to be charged for those instances if my average is well under. For example, during summer break when my kids are out of school or when I implement a new backup of my home data, my usage will go up. With that said, if you go back and look at my average usage, it will still be well under the sum of my alloted data usage. Maybe Xfinity needs to start crediting me for each month I go under the data to compensate me for the months that I do. Maybe I will come out ahead in that deal...

I'm not serious about expecting to be credited for my unused usage, but I do absolutely believe Xfinity needs to be doing rollover data if you are going to be charging extra for more data. Seems to me to be the fair thing to do for your customers...

as long as the month has not ended you can call and change to unlimited for the current month. then when don't need unlimited turn it off. the cap works as in 'up to 1 TB' not '1 TB' so there is no rollover.

You either missed or ignored the point entirely. I realize there is no rollover, and of course Xfinity would allow me to give them another $50/month until I remembered to cancel the unlimited plan. However, besides the month I ran my initial backup, it would have always been more cost effective to pay the 50GB increments.

The point was, Xfinity needs to adjust this policy and add rollover. There should not be any reason, besides the obvious they want to make more money, why a customer who is under their cap 9-10 months out of the year does not get any credit for their unused cap for the other 2-3 months they may go over. 

Contributor

If you log into your xfinity account you should be able to see which device is using the data.

https://internet.xfinity.com/devices  should show the list, clicking on each should show usage over time.

Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

If you log into your xfinity account you should be able to see which device is using the data.

https://internet.xfinity.com/devices  should show the list, clicking on each should show usage over time.

that is 'total' bytes per device handled by the xfi router. it does not 'uncount' or reduce data used that is not counted by the CMTS. for example, a Tablet/PC streams a linear channel or on-demand program and the router counts the data but the CMTS (think of it as a customer modem billing meter) does not count that internal data traffic toward the CAP.

Frequent Visitor

Data Usage Discrepancy

I'm logging all data passing through my internal network to the router.  The router itself has it's own logging capability.

As of right now, I've used exactly 126.620GB of data.  My internal logging and my router are in agreement on that.

If I look at your data usage page, it claims I've used 180GB of data.  That's a 30% disagreement. I've been tracking this for 3 months, and find our "disagreement" can vary quite a bit, but you always seem to overshoot what I can possibly be sending or receiving.

Looking at the Bonded channels, I'm not seeing a lot of correctables on any given link, so rebroadcasting packets or a failing channel connection isn't the problem.

What's is the expected overhead on your channels, and does that count towards my data cap?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data Usage Discrepancy

@flatlander3 wrote:

I'm logging all data passing through my internal network to the router.  The router itself has it's own logging capability.

As of right now, I've used exactly 126.620GB of data.  My internal logging and my router are in agreement on that.

If I look at your data usage page, it claims I've used 180GB of data.  That's a 30% disagreement. I've been tracking this for 3 months, and find our "disagreement" can vary quite a bit, but you always seem to overshoot what I can possibly be sending or receiving.

Looking at the Bonded channels, I'm not seeing a lot of correctables on any given link, so rebroadcasting packets or a failing channel connection isn't the problem.

What's is the expected overhead on your channels, and does that count towards my data cap?

Do you have any wifi devices that you can't log?  What tool are you using to capture usage?  I haven't found one yet.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I'm using an approved xfinity cable modem connected directly to a security appliance via cat6.

The rest of the internal network -- Wifi, Lan, DMZ connects to the security appliance.  There is no physical way a packet on the internal network can get to the internet, or be received without going through both the security appliance and the cable modem.

Both the cable modem and security appliance keep statistics.  The statics are rather detailed on the security appliance (port, protocol etc), but aggregate traffic counts agree with the traffic stats on the cable modem.

Only thing that's left is overhead from the connection itself.

Expert

@flatlander3 wrote:

I'm using an approved xfinity cable modem connected directly to a security appliance via cat6.

The rest of the internal network -- Wifi, Lan, DMZ connects to the security appliance.  There is no physical way a packet on the internal network can get to the internet, or be received without going through both the security appliance and the cable modem.

Both the cable modem and security appliance keep statistics.  The statics are rather detailed on the security appliance (port, protocol etc), but aggregate traffic counts agree with the traffic stats on the cable modem.

Only thing that's left is overhead from the connection itself.

you can unplug your modem completely and use only the internet apps like youtube and netflix on your X1 devices and use data. playing 4k video especially quickly uses up data. that data does not go through your own (or comcast's router if rented) router but goes thru the 'modem' in the hub DVR or XG2.

Frequent Visitor

Erm.....

You're proposing I unplug the cable modem?  Sure.  Cutting off my internet access completely would solve the problem.  I'm not sure how that would work with youtube.  So would canceling Xfinity and getting a DSL line. 

I can also do it with celluar I suppose, but generally, that's going to cost quite a bit and your data caps will be 4G or so running a hot spot.

No.  I have no X1 devices.  I don't have Xfinity TV or phone service.  I'm paying for Internet only.

As far as what I'm using for monitoring software and for anyone else looking to monitor the situation themselves  and you don't have access to commercial cisco/other firewall appliance gear, you can get pretty close with a FreeBSD box and a dual 1GB network card. 

Install FreeBSD or OpenBSD on a spare PC.  Doesn't have to be anything special, although if you want to capture and log all network traffic, horsepower never hurts.  Doing that CPU intensive, not so much memory or disk intensive but 2+G's of memory helps.  Freebsd (dot) org.  There's plenty of documentation on how to do it.

There are dozens of network monitoring solutions you can install.  Simple:  vnstat, iftop, mrtg, darkstat, just look at the daily logs for usage......(lots more).  More horse power? Try ng_netflow.

Use OpenBSD's PF for the Natd (bridge between the internal and external network), firewall and traffic shaping.  You're going to have to read up on PF a bit if you want to do bandwidth throttling and other advanced uses, but you should be able to get a decent firewall and network setup properly with the documentation online.  Goes like this:

Internal network ----> FreeBSD box network port 2 --->  Freebsd box Network port 1 ---> Xfinity cable modem. 

Put your wifi router on your internal network.  Yes, don't use the one on the cable router/modem.  Now you have two firewalls.  The cable box modem that will  probably be exploted by some zero day hack someday with firmware that is unmaintained, and an actual firewall you control the software for.

My original question was to try to figure out what a 1TB data cap actually was.  700GB of actual data because the line burns 30% in the background?  Less?

Fine.  I'd call that deceptive advertizing, and fraud if they're billing for overages, but whatever.  I can create adaptive traffic shaping rules that will throttle my internet connection based on previous use/current usage.

What should I be using for an actual target?

New Poster

Wifi/Data

I have Verizon which gives me wifi and data.  I cancelled my tv and phone with Comcast at the end of March, and now just have a modem for wifi.  I did get Hulu.  How can I possibly go over data usage with Comcast?  Especially when two of my daughters, and Hulu viewers, left for college 3 weeks ago.  Never went over data with Comcast until 2 viewers left the hosue and use their college wifi.  How is this possible at all?

Contributor

Re: Wifi/Data

If you sign in at https://internet.xfinity.com/ you should be able to see your network and the devices tab will show what is connected - clicking on each will show their usage.   If you don't recognize something, maybe a neighbor is connecting and using your data.

Gold Problem Solver

@lesmikesell wrote: If you sign in at https://internet.xfinity.com/ you should be able to see your network and the devices tab will show what is connected ...

Note: that page is only available to customers using xFi. Non-xFi users are redirected to https://internet.xfinity.com/not-eligible which prompts them to "Upgrade for This Experience" and links to https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/.

Frequent Visitor

This

@flatlander3 wrote:

Erm.....

You're proposing I unplug the cable modem?  Sure.  Cutting off my internet access completely would solve the problem.  I'm not sure how that would work with youtube.  So would canceling Xfinity and getting a DSL line. 

My original question was to try to figure out what a 1TB data cap actually was.  700GB of actual data because the line burns 30% in the background?  Less?

Fine.  I'd call that deceptive advertizing, and fraud if they're billing for overages, but whatever.  I can create adaptive traffic shaping rules that will throttle my internet connection based on previous use/current usage.

What should I be using for an actual target?

Thanks for the laugh, your response to the person who clearly didn't read your post made my day.  I've got a similar setup as you, though I'm using Untangle for my appliance.  I haven't bothered logging data usage in forever - once the Comcast mafia said we went over the cap the second or third time, I cancelled everything except Internet and pay the $50 extra a month.  Cable service is AT&T TV Now (grandfathered to the DirecTV Now "Live a Little" package w/HBO) & Amazon Prime, Phone is through Ooma (cheaper, and gives me a second line for my office). 

Why pay the $50 extra a month?  Until Rainier Connect finishes the fiber install in our neighborhood, it's our only option.  According to the website, my data usage for August was 3229 GB, July was 3396, and June was a paltry 2533.  Yep, we've got the dreaded "teenager" syndrome x4 - plus, I work from home 2-3 days of the week. 

I'm wondering.... depending on how well your security appliance is filtering, could the discrepancy be the adds/unsolicited "autoplay" videos that the appliance is blocking?  Although that should show up on the modem, before the appliance filters it.  *scratches head*

Guess I should do like they said and unplug my modem and let WiFi do the job... too bad everything's wired and running through my switch.

Frequent Visitor

Autoplay vids?  Naaa, I'm not doing that sort of filtering or domain filtering/net nanny type of stuff so they'll blow right through to the natd client.  I'll leave silly net filtering to the corp guys.  I just run adblock and no-script on the clients.

This does seem to be a pretty widespread problem though with many people and inexplicable bandwidth usage issues.  Do you suppose SYN flood attacks or passive port scans from botnets count as traffic on your account?

Cable modem would block it (with firewall on).  My appliance wouldn't see it. 

Is comcast recording that as inbound traffic and billing people overages for it?

Contributor

@BruceW wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote: If you sign in at https://internet.xfinity.com/ you should be able to see your network and the devices tab will show what is connected ...

Note: that page is only available to customers using xFi. Non-xFi users are redirected to https://internet.xfinity.com/not-eligible which prompts them to "Upgrade for This Experience" and links to https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/xfinity-xfi-overview/.

They have cleverly hidden that from people who do have xFi.  If I click your non-eligible link it redirects me right back to the internet.xfinity.com page.   I didn't realize it was optional - or regional or whatever it is that keeps others from having it.

New Poster

Data usage?

All of the sudden my data usage has skyrocketed. Last month I had 980 gb. I just checked and at 10 days I have 270 gb used. That would mean 27gb a day. From what I read that would be like streaming 20 hours a day. I live alone and usually have it on for maybe 4 hours max in evening. Is it possible they have wrong readings? I'm already at what normal usuage would be in a month. I cant see anything that has changed.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data usage?

Same thing with mine. 10 days in and already at 357gb. I barely go over 100gb a month so I know something is wrong. I even turn off my modem while Im at work and it still goes up 10 to 15gb. How can that be when the modem is off and nobody is using it.

New Poster

Xfinity showing extremely high data usage but do not stream

Normally my data usage has always been below 100 GB. I do not stream shows. I prefer watching them on X1 platform. and I do not like Youtube. Anyhow, I logged on to my account  I was shocked to see my data usage with in the last 10 days spike to almost 500GB!.  I called Comcast and was transferred to their Computer Security Assurance department. The guy accent was so bad and I could not make out half of what he was talking about. I swear that this guy was reading a script.   

Contributor

Re: Xfinity showing extremely high data usage but do not stream

Just a thought:  Has anyone who is seeing more data usage installed devices like a ring doorbell or light that has a motion dector and uploads security footage?    Or added a smart speaker (echo, google, etc.)?   Or enabled icloud backups on an Apple device, or google photo or music backups? There are a lot of things that happen over the internet in the background these days.

New Poster

Data overage

We left for 13 day trip on August 28 and unplugged everything before we left. TV router roku everything.  Received a email on August 29 that we had used 90 percent of our data for the month.  Receved a second email on August 31st that we had used 100 per cent of our data for the month.  When I got home on Sept 10th I checked the usage meter at xfinity and it said 1 GB had been used in September. How is this possible?  Who is using this data with everything turned off?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data overage

@Cutthecord2018 wrote:
We left for 13 day trip on August 28 and unplugged everything before we left. TV router roku everything.  Received a email on August 29 that we had used 90 percent of our data for the month.  Receved a second email on August 31st that we had used 100 per cent of our data for the month.  When I got home on Sept 10th I checked the usage meter at xfinity and it said 1 GB had been used in September. How is this possible?  Who is using this data with everything turned off?

Are you signed up for any remote backup like https://aws.amazon.com/backup/?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

How is it possible with everything in your house off except for the router?

A botnet attack on the IP address of your router.  If you have the ability to ping your external ip address, or if there are any open ports on your router, there is an open attack vector.  Got a friend with a Linux box?  Have them portscan your IP with a tool like nmap.  Some sites run online nmap scanners too.  You can search for those, put in your IP address and try it yourself.  Launch it with a web page.

(Do Not Port Scan Someone Elses Gear without Permission....that's bad JuJu)

If it's an xfinity owned router, and you can reboot your router from the account management web page, you've got a security problem built right in!!  How neat!!

SYN flood attacks are common.  They are also easily throttled and should be on Xfinity's networks, but I suspect they are not.

A SYN flood is when remote machine establishes a TCP  connection to your security hole, it will reply, then the remote machine requests again.  With sufficient bandwidth on the remote machine, it can cause denial of service (DoS).

Xfinity is probably just adding to your bill as inbound data, and would account for you using up your data cap when nothing else could possibly be using data.

Frequent Visitor

More and more people are experiencing this issue. We had the same overage when went away. Comcast predictably difers to their "independant" monitoring service.  Can't wait to cut the cord myself. This is clear abuse with no recourse. Can't believe no ones started a class action yet.

Frequent Visitor

Funny how I switched to a mesh system and everything from dl to ul improved exponentially. It's also arrested the data flood Comcast happily charges me for. You sound like you know what your talking about? Maybe you could get to the bottom of this for us? Comcast wont, and charge us for overages without any answer as to why. You'd think with so many customers going over that they would be able to investigate the increased data use. Or does it behoove them to have countless thousands of their customers computers slaved to bot nets for crypto mining?

Contributor

If you have any network issues that drop packets - like bad wifi connections, TCP/IP fixes it by retransmitting from the source.   Which is going to count as data usage.

Silver Problem Solver

@Markeydusod wrote:

Funny how I switched to a mesh system and everything from dl to ul improved exponentially. It's also arrested the data flood Comcast happily charges me for. You sound like you know what your talking about? Maybe you could get to the bottom of this for us? Comcast wont, and charge us for overages without any answer as to why. You'd think with so many customers going over that they would be able to investigate the increased data use. Or does it behoove them to have countless thousands of their customers computers slaved to bot nets for crypto mining?

That's interesting; I have the mesh Orbi for my wifi connected to my XB6 but I can't be certain that my overage ended when I installed it.

New Poster

Data usage

I used to have unlimited. 2 people moved out and were using under the 1tb. So I canceled the unlimited, but now 2 less people and the same internet habits we are supposedly using 1248 go data. How can that be right. Is xfinity doing something with the data so they get $50 free money from me for the unlimited plan?
New Poster

Re: Data usage

Are you using your own equipment (modem and router, or a combination of the two), or comcast's?

So, I'm not sure what level user you are, so I'm just going to break this down as if it's something you've never done before. I apologize if any of the information isn't new to you and you know what you're doing. I don't mean to sound condescending, I just want to make sure I'm being as easily understandable as possible just in case. Smiley Happy

If the issue isn't related to Comcast botching something up, which isn't outside the realm of possability, other things that can cause this are:

- Someone in your house who's using your network is using or used a TON of data and wasn't upfront/honest about it. (Or they just didn't know that what they were doing or downloading was really that data-heavy.)

- Some kind of malware or trojan on your computer
- A legitimate program that you or someone downloaded on one of your devices that is constantly sending and receiving large volumes of data (sometimes things like this can be disabled, other times it could be something nefarious built into a program like cryptojacking that tries to run in the background).

- Torrenting and filesharing on a P2P network. (Related tot he first point.)

- Your network password has been compromised and someone else nearby is using your internet for who knows what.

The first (and most simple) thing to try is changing your network's password. Go into the router via your internet browser. Type in the nav bar one of the following: 10.0.0.1 , 192.168.0.1 , or 192.168.1.1 . These, or a similar iteration using the first three sets of numbers with a different final number in the address, are the most common default IP addresses for home routers. (At least in the ones I've used or came across. Two others that are possible on Comcast routers are 192.168.100.1 and 10.1.10.1 .) If those don't work, do a google search for the default IP for a Comcast router. If you got the address right, you should get prompted for a username and password. The default username is typically "admin" or "Admin" for the overwhelming majority of routers out there, and if I recall Comcast doesn't let you change that if you're using their equipment. The password is either on the side of your router or set to a default such as "password" (which is common for most routers to actually get into the router). If you're using a 3rd party router, you can usually just google the default username and password for you particular router model if the ones mentioned don't work and there isn't anything physically on your router itself that says what the defaults are.

Once you're in the router, you should be able to access the wireless/WAN settings to change the password to your network. (You can change the network name too if you'd like, but the password is far more relevant.) Also, change the password to actually access the router itself. The second part will likely be in a different tab, usually under "advanced" or "administration". Be sure to include a captial letter, a number, and one special character. This also applies to the network password as well. (It doesn't have to be anything needlessly complex. Something like "MrPoopyButt1!" or "[yourFirstInitialLastNameWithACaptialLetter]1!" is perfectly fine.) Avoid single words or common last names as those are ridiculously easy to brute force into. On a side note, XKCD actually has a great comic strip on password security that's worthwhile and simplifies the "why" if you've never seen it before.

Next, since you're in the router, there's a couple of things that you can disable that can help mitigate possible malware and others from hijacking your network. (I forget whether or not both of these next two things are possible on Comcast's rental equipment, but they are on the majority of routers out there, so we'll treat it like they are.)

1. Look for something called "WPS". This is usually under the tab that deals with the wireless network, but results may vary. WPS, while convenient for some things (It's like a wireless quick connect most commonly used for printers, but can be used for other devices), is a pretty well known and easily cracked vulnerability. Disable it. (If you need to connect some device later on that wants you to use it, there's pretty much always an option to manually connect to a wireless network, and the process is pretty straightforward.)

2. Look for something called UPnP and disable it if it's on. Some types of malware/trojans/etc. can use this to bypass the network firewall. In most cases it's typically not needed for a home network. In the cases where something is utilizing UPnP and needs port forwarding, there's tons of tutorials available on how to do this. (It can look complex at first, but the reality is that it's actually pretty simple once you see what's going on.) If you suddenly start having problems with certain programs or devices, such as P2P or VoIP applications, you can either turn UPnP back on or go through a couple of steps within the router to get them working again. (Again, there's a bunch of online tutorials on how to do that if you want to elect to keep UPnP off.)

For kicks and giggles, once you're in the router, see if you can look for a list of attached devices in the interface. If you can, take a look at what devices are on your network. Some devices will have obscure names and some wont, so you may not recognize some (or most) of them. The idea here is to see if there's someone piggybacking on your connection. If you can positively identify a connection or MAC address that you know is not in your apartment, you can try to block that device. (Sometimes the option to block a device is in a different tab/menu alltogether labeled as access control or something similar.) This aside, you should still turn off WPS and UPnP anyway.

So this turned into a novel, but hopefully it helps. Smiley Happy

New Poster

So here's my situation. For some reason in less then 2 weeks I have already exceeded the terrabyte limit. I only use about 150-200 GB a month. Since Xfinity has not been helpful, I decided to disconnect my modem completely so I have no Internet access of any kind. Yet their system still shows I am still using about 18GB of data every 6 hours or so. The lady I spoke to at xfinity last night ask me if I have a hotspot or using Wi-Fi. I told her no and I tried to explain to her that my modem has been completely disconnected of all wires, of all power for over the last day. Still she did not understand what I was trying to say. How can I have Internet usage if my modem/router is not even connected up to anything.
Expert

@Engelgu wrote:
So here's my situation. For some reason in less then 2 weeks I have already exceeded the terrabyte limit. I only use about 150-200 GB a month. Since Xfinity has not been helpful, I decided to disconnect my modem completely so I have no Internet access of any kind. Yet their system still shows I am still using about 18GB of data every 6 hours or so. The lady I spoke to at xfinity last night ask me if I have a hotspot or using Wi-Fi. I told her no and I tried to explain to her that my modem has been completely disconnected of all wires, of all power for over the last day. Still she did not understand what I was trying to say. How can I have Internet usage if my modem/router is not even connected up to anything.

your set top boxes use your internet (but not via your modem/gateway) for things like netflix and youtube.

Contributor

Is it possible for a set-top box to not notice that your TV is turned off and keep playing from one of the streaming apps - assuming you used the TV's own remote or power switch instead of the X1 remote?

Frequent Visitor

Way Higher Monthly Data Usage

Hi,

2.5 days ago, i got notified I used 90% of 1TB. Yesterday, I got notifed 100% of 1TB limit.

Since yesterday, I disconnected all wired and wireless device (except one pc for monitoring) and kept monitoring my own router, NETGEAR C7100V.

Since I heard 24 hours windows needed, I compared since yesterday.

In my routher it says ~200MB traffic (both upload/download), but xFinity website says additional 30GB since yesterday.

I've been talking with xfinity agent/security/techinition on the phone, and they keep saying xfinity does not have any problem on their end, even though I argued there must be something based on the big difference of usage between my router and xfinity side... No suggestion/resolution/help.

I would say goodbye to xfinity unless I get some knowledgeable explanation/suggestion/help.

FYI, I'm computer consultant understanding networking/security on computer, and I've been using xfinity with no issue so far.

Could someone have similar issue, or any help on this?

Thanks in advance,

Expert

@lesmikesell wrote:

Is it possible for a set-top box to not notice that your TV is turned off and keep playing from one of the streaming apps - assuming you used the TV's own remote or power switch instead of the X1 remote?

yes (overnight reboot may stop the stream)

Expert

Re: Way Higher Monthly Data Usage

@cheolmin wrote:

Hi,

2.5 days ago, i got notified I used 90% of 1TB. Yesterday, I got notifed 100% of 1TB limit.

Since yesterday, I disconnected all wired and wireless device (except one pc for monitoring) and kept monitoring my own router, NETGEAR C7100V.

Since I heard 24 hours windows needed, I compared since yesterday.

In my routher it says ~200MB traffic (both upload/download), but xFinity website says additional 30GB since yesterday.

I've been talking with xfinity agent/security/techinition on the phone, and they keep saying xfinity does not have any problem on their end, even though I argued there must be something based on the big difference of usage between my router and xfinity side... No suggestion/resolution/help.

I would say goodbye to xfinity unless I get some knowledgeable explanation/suggestion/help.

FYI, I'm computer consultant understanding networking/security on computer, and I've been using xfinity with no issue so far.

Could someone have similar issue, or any help on this?

Thanks in advance,

each hub (xg2, xg1) has a Docsis modem/gateway and that is how the internet apps work. You may have someone using the set top box internet (counts toward your CAP) for youtube, netflix, etc. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the information,

There is no set top box and my netgear gateway c7100v has only connection with cable (isp) without any splitter.  (only me and my wife exist in home, who don't do netflix ever, no youtube recently; also no cloud based backup)

What I assume is that no once can hijact from outside unless they physically split the wire, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I even disconnected cable from the gateway and now I don't have internet; I doubt it would help to narrow down the issue though. I will check the usage tomorrow from xfinity my data usage page...

Best Regards,

Contributor

If the cablemodem itself has wifi, the most likely thing would be a neighbor guessing the password but the connection should show up in the device listing.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for reply.

Yeap,

Indeed, I changed all the passwords to strong password and monitored logs and activities and there are no suspicisous...

Regards,

Regular Visitor

Still receiving data usage overage notices with Gigabit Pro

To quote https://dataplan.xfinity.com/, "The data usage plans do not apply to Comcast Business Internet customers, customers on non-upgradeable Bulk Internet agreements, and customers with Prepaid Internet, or to XFINITY Internet customers on our Gigabit Pro tier of service." [emphasis mine]
What's the deal?

Frequent Visitor

I disconnected cable itself from the gateway modem and i didn't use xfinity service for around 21 hours. 

xfinity says the usage is 1092GB (at 9/06AM today), so >20GB usage even though I didn't utilize any (1069G at 6/38PM yesterday)

frustrated... 

xfinitydatausage.png

Contributor

Having once spent a few days on the phone getting secondary accounts (email, etc.) from a previous/cancelled Comcast account reconnected to a renewed account at the same address that I thought would just continue as normal, I wonder if there isn't some mismatch between the devices that are reporting data usage for your account and the devices you actually have and the support people see in their view.

Regular Visitor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Thanks.  This explains a lot.  What I can't understand is why we were doing the same things for months and staying under 4oo GB.  on the terrabyte plan.  All of a sudden this month we are over the 1024 halfway thru Sept. ??  

Roger L Crego
New Poster

Data Usage not adding up.

Since I cannot find this defined anywhere else I am asking here hoping that someone may be able to clearify data usage to related to watchng anythting that is not live TV.

I have only had my service for 7 days and barely have done anything on the internet yet somehow is 7 days 384gigs of my 1TB data has already been used up. I have watched maybe a total of 15hrs of Netflix since getting the service installed and have been told that using NetFlix non-HD I should be able to view 21hrs a day each month with out exceeding my 1TB limit and if watching HD content on netflix 10hrs a day. So I am confused how its possible that in only 7 days of service almost half my data limit has been used.

So is it correct in saying that anything I watch ONDEMAND counts against my data usage even though I am paying a high premium already for TV  services?

Also based on Xfinitys own usage estimator at 10 hrs a day of streaming HD video for 30 days I would only use 510 gigs of data yet some how in 7 days I have almost used that much and I can assure you I have not watched netflix or anything for 10hrs a day. 

Also as you can see below your adding photos to post DOES NOT WORK either. So here is a link to the image on my onedrive. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjC1qsnTdJCfgd1YTd4pGAmSHzjDDA?e=DSOp7O

datauasge.png

New Poster

Re: Suddenly comcast showing my data usage has increased almost triple in Jan and Feb?

Did you ever find out why your data usage significantly increased?  I am going through that now with Comcast.  They are telling me that my data usage has tripled in September compared to our average usage and we have not changed or added anything that would account for this increase.  I contacted Comcast but they could not explain it.  They are researching it and  suppose to let me know.  Thanks.