Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

Re: Data Usage

My data went sky high after we bought an Apple TV with Direct TV built in. Unless you double-click the "TV" button on the Apple TV remote then swipe away the Direct TV app it will continue to run in the background, even if the TV is off. I suspect their menu system is a data pig. Mine uses up to 35GB per day unless the app is closed. Personally, I think it's a bit of a scam to increase revenue. How can Comcast not know this huge data hog is a major culprit for overcharges? The people on the Comcast help desk, seem oblivious. Maybe you have a similar situation going on.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data Usage

@Astrolopithicus wrote:

My data went sky high after we bought an Apple TV with Direct TV built in. Unless you double-click the "TV" button on the Apple TV remote then swipe away the Direct TV app it will continue to run in the background, even if the TV is off. I suspect their menu system is a data pig. Mine uses up to 35GB per day unless the app is closed. Personally, I think it's a bit of a scam to increase revenue. How can Comcast not know this huge data hog is a major culprit for overcharges? The people on the Comcast help desk, seem oblivious. Maybe you have a similar situation going on.

You might want to post this in the Internet forum also; there are some threads about the 1TB limit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

internet data usage cap

Why is there now a cap on internet data usage? I thought that was done away with that.
Frequent Visitor

Re: internet data usage cap

Yeah, it is unbelievable that this day and age companies still treat Data like a limited resource. I’m paying for the speed of my connection not how much I transfer. I always like to compare this to Car rentals with “unlimited” miles. If you rent a vehicle and are told you are allowed to travel as far as you would like per day, but only up to 300 miles. Then either your car will not exceed 35mph for unlimted miles (throttling), OR you can pay an addition $50 to go as fast as you like (keeping it within speed limits of course) for as far you’d like. If you got this response from a car rental business you’d think they are crazy!
New Poster

1TB is not sufficient these days. We need at least 2TB!

For Christmas I decided to give myself a Nest Hello Door Bell and three inside cameras. The cameras are 1080P HD resolution. Nest states that each camera could use up to 300 GB a month.

So there goes my 1TB limit. As of this morning I'm already up to 1138GB.

when I bought the cameras I updated to the extreme Blast which give 20 MBPS upload instead of only 10 and also improves the download to I think 250 MBPS for an extra $10 a month.

Prior to the cameras I have never gone over. 

The extreme package should increase the limit to 2TB.

The next package xFinity offers is Unlimited for an extra $50 a Month. I dont need unlimited. I only need 2TB. and I would be happy to play $20 for extreme blast if it aslo raised the limits from 1TB to 2TB.

If Comcast doesnt offer a 2TB package with the extreme plan, i might as well cancel extreme and have the seciruty cameras upload at 720 in which case they only use about 120 GB a month.

Come on Comcast/xFinity 1TB these days is too low and forcing unlimited as the only option for $50 a months is extremes. Give us a 2TB package!!

Silver Problem Solver

@Mumaliscious wrote:
Why is there now a cap on internet data usage? I thought that was done away with that.

Not an answer to why:

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/plans/

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@Mumaliscious wrote:

To keep you from switching away from cable to streaming for your only TV.  You can be exempt from the cap but it'll cost $50 extra which defeats the point of switching to streaming to save money.  If it were really about data use, Comcast wouldn't zero-rate their own cable streaming service (exempt from the data usage cap.)  Most ISPs have caps and zero-rate their own TV streaming service now to give themselves a competitive advantage.  Also, that cap was put in place before 4K streaming was really a thing.

New Poster

different usage between my router and comcast

My data usage has been a consistent 100 gigs more accordingly to Comcast than my router meter.  I have complain about this many times on the phone and nobody can tell me why.  So I am going to check tomorrow morning and find out if my usage starts at 100 gigs from the get-go.

Frequent Visitor

Average Data Usage for a Computer

I use my PC everyday and the usage on my PC is  reaching High and is using 51%. Is this normal?

Regular Contributor

Re: Average Data Usage for a Computer

I'm not sure what you mean by "high" and using 51%.  51% of a terabyte?  I would call half a terabyte a lot of data, but it all depends on what you're doing.  A PC can be functional with no network data use at all.  On the other hand, a PC is also capable of using whatever bandwidth you have at 100% capacity.  We use nowhere near half a terabyte a month. Again, it just depends on what you're doing with it.  (Or if you have malware, what the malware is doing with it!)

And is a PC the only thing you have?  A smart TV or a streaming gadget can use plenty of data too.  As can apps on cable TV boxes.

Frequent Visitor

Is my PC usage normal?

Screenshot (2).pngJust use it for twitter and team speak and some youtube

Expert

Re: Is my PC usage normal?

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin.

You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Is my PC usage normal?