Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Contributor

Re: data overages

@OutlawStar wrote:

Mine doubled in those months as well, the difference between us is nothing changed for me. I'm an indoors person, and an active gamer. There is no reason my usage should have doubled just because it's cold outside .....

Do you watch any 4K Content? Because any 4K Movies/Shows you watch will eat that data up fast. 

Expert

Re: 4K Streaming Chews Through Paltry 1TB Data Cap

@Strikes12 wrote:

I pay top dollar for Fiber in my home and I still only get 1TB.   

FWIW, if you have the Gigabit Pro (fiber based / FTTH) 2 gigabit speed tier, there is no data limit. Only the Gigabit (coax based DOCSIS 3.1) 1 gigabit speed tier has the data limit in some areas.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Data Usage

You are still saying that with the loss of 1 son that played xbox and the rest staying the same, ( I always kept track prior to the  1TB kicking in, when things were unlimited, not enforced) we used no more than 640 GB every month. So your math is (640GB- 1 son-1 xbox-1 phone = over 1 TB ) ?????

New Poster

Re: Data usage

Mine did the same thing! I jumped from 463 to 895 in one month without changing the way we did anything. Now it’s the 3rd day of Dec and I’ve use 66GBs of data. We’re a two person household and no one was home one of the three days so everything was paused!
New Poster

Xfinity reporting wrong data usage

I was using my own Motorola Surfboard modem connected to a Unifi USG router.  The USG router is connected to a switch and 100% of my traffic goes through the USG.  2 ½ months ago I started running into, and then over, my 1T monthly data usage.  The controller for the USG provides detailed data for my activity and there was no way I was even coming close to my data cap.  By my esitmates I was averaging less than 10gb per day versus the 30-50 per day being reported by Xfinity.  I called to explain something is wrong on their end but kept getting forwarded to an overseas data security group who will only repeat thay there must be a problem on my end.  On one of my many calls I was fortunate to get a representative based in the USA named Josh who pointed out that if I were using the Xfinity XFI modem/router, then Xfinity could identify for themselves which one of my devices was causing the issue.  The XFI modem router is rental only for about $10 per month.  I decided to try it as I could always return the rental.  

The results were astounding.  I connected to XFI and kept my downstream setup intact.  Low and behold all of a suddent my data usage being reported to Xfinity went down to below 6gb for the first two days!  It would appear Xfinity is forcing me to rent the XFI device otherwise there is no remedy to the over-reporting of data usage.  This reminds me of what Volswagen did  when it concocted a scheme to have diesel emmissions reduced whenever one of their cars was connected to a state emissions testing system.  

For those of you using your own modem with data unexplainably high, you too may need to pay the $10 monthly tax to rent the XFI in order to remedy the problem.

New Poster

Re: Data Usage Increasing by More Than I'm Actually Using.

Did you replace your modem?  I had the problem with overage and it took a month and half to figure it out.  I replaced my modem, sold the old one.  The old one was still on my account and the new owner was somehow able to use it under my account.  Get Xfinity to check out the mac address of your modem and if there are more than one set up on the account.  Have them delete any that you are not using.

New Poster

Re: Surpassing data usage limit

I had the same problem after switching modems.  Finally figured it out.  I sold my old modem but it was still on my account and I got charged for it's usage.  Have them check how many modems are on your account.  Verify the MAC address.  Delete any old ones.

Silver Problem Solver

@mrdmd wrote:

I had the same problem after switching modems.  Finally figured it out.  I sold my old modem but it was still on my account and I got charged for it's usage.  Have them check how many modems are on your account.  Verify the MAC address.  Delete any old ones.

I sure hope there aren't other cases out there like yours; it would explain why they have this issue.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

fyi...my old Comcast modem is not on my account, hasnt been there for months.  

...and I dont do any 4K streaming - I have no devices that would support it.

BTW Today is December 5th - Comcast says I have used 169 GB in 4+ days.  My router says I have used 36.7 GB since the beginning of December - I have used no set top box apps (like Netflix).

New Poster

I would have them delete out your current modem and add it again.  I never thought my modem was still on the account until we reviewed the MAC addresses.  My usage was going up about 2gb per hour.  Usage stopped after they deleted my old modem.   I just hope it does not start up again.

New Poster

Monthly data usage has increased by 1000% (ten times) and I am being threatened with overage charges

I have an unlimited data plan with Comcast. Usage historically has been about 200GB/month. In November it went up to 2075GB and in the first 2 days of December it is almost 300GB. (all passwords were changed in mid November and we were away for the last week. ) Nothing has changed - no new apps/streaming services, etc.

I talked with Customer Service and they could not help. A tech came out in mid November and had no suggestions. So I am using about 150GB/day. I spend about 1 hr/day doing emails, reading news , etc.  

Any ideas how to sort this mess out?? Thanks

Regular Visitor

Same happened to me!
Official Employee

Re: Monthly data usage has increased by 1000% (ten times) and I am being threatened with overage ...

Hello, I would like to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name exactly as it's listed on the billing statement? To send a private message click on my name, then click "Send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Silver Problem Solver

@WaldoMI wrote:

fyi...my old Comcast modem is not on my account, hasnt been there for months.  

...and I dont do any 4K streaming - I have no devices that would support it.

BTW Today is December 5th - Comcast says I have used 169 GB in 4+ days.  My router says I have used 36.7 GB since the beginning of December - I have used no set top box apps (like Netflix).

Just curious; which router do you have?  Do you have any devices that DON'T connect through your router?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

There's a long discussion thread over here where people have described various culprits they've discovered and how to deal with them. 

The most common things we've found are:

1. Online backup services (Carbonite, Backblaze, Amazon Web Services, One Drive, Google Drive)
  2. Malware (rogue software installs, viruses and trojans, hacking tools, browser addons, cryptomining)
  3. Torrenting (BIttorrent and related apps)
  4. Online video streaming and uploading (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, Xfinity Stream)
  5. Game consoles (XBox Live, Twitch)
  6. X1 Cable Box streaming (any internet app on the X1 platform counts)

Since nobody has exactly the same hardware and network configuration, people are just going to have to monitor their usage and troubleshoot individually. 

Some good tools to have:

1. Network Traffic monitoring apps such as Wireshark and GlassWire.
  2. Xfinity xFi
  3. Individual router bandwidth monitoring applications if you have a personal router.
  4. For Windows 10 users, the OS has built in Usage Monitoring and Metering. 
  5. Malware scanning tools like Norton Secuity Online, which is free to Comcast customers.
  6. Remove any browser extensions you don't use, and keep a close eye on those you do. 
  7. Update your software regularly. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I have an all UniFi network from Ubiquiti

Frequent Visitor

and everything connects through my router/gateway except the Xfinity Set Top Box.

Frequent Visitor

Been there. Done that. (And no tee shirt)

No set top box apps used. Backups throttled

Point is router sees all traffic and categorizes it by DPI. I know exactly how much data I use streaming and backup and social media. And the total is 1/2 to 1/5 what Comcast reports.

But Comcast refuses to investigate unless you pay for their xfi modem. Only other solution is to pay for unlimited data. Bottom line is “pay more”
Expert

@WaldoMI wrote:
Been there. Done that. (And no tee shirt)

No set top box apps used. Backups throttled

Point is router sees all traffic and categorizes it by DPI. I know exactly how much data I use streaming and backup and social media. And the total is 1/2 to 1/5 what Comcast reports.

But Comcast refuses to investigate unless you pay for their xfi modem. Only other solution is to pay for unlimited data. Bottom line is “pay more”

router does not see traffic used by internet apps on the X1 equipment. watching Netflix for example.

Frequent Visitor

Not using set top box apps like Netflix. Like I said...been there, done that
Contributor

WaldoMI:  I saw where you said you have a UniFi network from Ubiquiti.

I searched for: ubiquiti router traffic meter vs comcast

… and found a thread on dslreports where a guy's Ubiquiti router is reporting much less data than Xfinity.  Eventually he installs a different monitoring app and reports: "Just checked SNMP logging and it seems to be agreeing with Xfinity. So DPI is just broken." And another person responds: "DPI has been reported to on/off broken in various ways for years. Some firmware releases reportedly improved the accuracy, as did turning off smart queues, and rebuilding the database (to remove corruption)."

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32171322-Xfinity-bandwidth-metering-vs-router-metering-difference

You might want to refer to that thread for ideas.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I’ll check it out
Frequent Visitor

One possible solution from the UniFi forums is to turn of regular "speed tests" that UniFi controller performs.  Im trying that now and will check back in a few days to see if it solves the disparity in data total reporting.

New Poster

Check these links...

This link will show you total data usage over the last four months. 

https://internet.xfinity.com/network/advanced-settings/networkusage 

This link will let you see details of usage for each device connected to your network.

https://internet.xfinity.com/devices  

Frequent Visitor

The "speed test" solutions seems to have worked - in the last two days, my router reports 10.9 GB of data used and xfinity reports 12 GB of data used.  This is much much closer than the 2x-5x differences I saw before turning off the regular (every 30 minute) speed test in the UniFi router.

Thanks to everyone on the fourm for their suggestions and support.  Hopefully the rest of December will turn out to be uneventful.

New Poster

Re: Data usage crazy high

I am currently having the same issue.
As far as the current month of December, my data usage is over 90% in 9 days.

Something is definitely not right.

Look for a solution as well.

Expert

@Skjellyfetti wrote:

Check these links...

This link will show you total data usage over the last four months. 

https://internet.xfinity.com/network/advanced-settings/networkusage 

This link will let you see details of usage for each device connected to your network.

https://internet.xfinity.com/devices  

Those links work only for people that lease the Comcast xFi gateways. Those with personal routers will have to use their own router's stats or other methods to keep track. 

New Poster

Xfinity data usage meter inaccurate

I was Xfinity Customer Since i was in the school. I opened a new account since April 2017. The average data usage is about 300Gb every month which is totally OK. But somehow since Aug 2018. The data usage is abnormal. Per their records. I used over 1TB monthly. Obviously  Xfinity data usage meter inaccurate. In these markets, users that cross the 1 terabyte limit face overage fees of $10 per each additional 50 GB consumed.

I am not sure how they collect my data usage information, i did some testing when no one at home. Dec 1 2018. (see below). No one at home until 7PM. I streamed 2 hour youtube and then i check the data meter, wow, can you believe i used 18GB data for 2 hours youtube. Do not tell me this is true.  I tried to call billing department to waive the penalty, they said this is policy to charge me.  I called technician to solve this issue. However, there are nothing they can do.  

OK. Well. I am done.  Let me just switch to ATT. $40.00 included Equipment. IT IS JUST SO HARD TO BE A LOYAL CUSTOMER.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

@rbezuide wrote:
I also can't wait for Google fiber etc to arrive!! Google and even U-verse fiber should jump on this with adds!!

Don't know about Google but anything AT&T [aka: u-verse] is ill-advised. If not service issues, then billing issues used up so many hours of my time every month on the phone, I considered invoicing them for schooling their reps. AT&T PTSD seems conditional to their terms of service. Comcast calls to inquire about their quality of service to me run a ratio of 4-to-1 to my contacting them over the last couple of years. As one among many N. Cali Camp Fire evacuee survivors, Comcast continues to bend over backwards to ensure they come through no matter where or what our circumstances are. All my AT&T serviced comrads are linking up with Comcast's free fire disaster hotspots because a month into our recovery, AT&T's services are still down.

Official Employee

Re: Data usage crazy high

Hi everyone. This link is a great resource for those who are not familiar with xFi: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-overview.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@Strikes12 wrote:

@OutlawStar wrote:

Do you watch any 4K Content? Because any 4K Movies/Shows you watch will eat that data up fast. 

One of us do [my set up's too out-dated or I would too]. You-Tube tends to skitter and drop, maybe due to low-end plan [internet essentials]. Or maybe something to do with the 5 extra "on-demand" hotspot riders discovered on my gateway's connected devices list while trying to figure out why internet performance all at once started degrading. DSLreports.com steered me to an interface page giving Xfinity customers option to enable/disable the hotspot feature. I just learned it only gives appearances of offering a consumer choice and short of a sledgehammer, the hotspot feature is always on no matter what you do.

Frequent Visitor

@pebo007 wrote:

@Strikes12 wrote:

@OutlawStar wrote:

"...short of a sledgehammer, the hotspot feature is always on no matter what you do."

Correction - the person telling me the enable/disable interface settings do nothing to disable the hotspot just clarified that it only applies to Comcast's security services which are "always on". The person advised that the interface settings DO work to disable the public hotspot feature on Xfinity-branded gateways, and can be found here:

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot

I set it to disable last night and thus far, still have "on-demand" hotspot customers listed as connected devices through my gateway. Takes 24 hours to have effect, so it says.

Expert
Moved:

Re: Data Usage Out of Control

Moved, unhelpful, language filter bypass, political. Please refer to forum guidelines.