Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

streaming

All of a sudden we somehow are using more streaming data beyond the 1 terrabyte monthly limit for last month, and 2/3 of the limit at the half way mark this month. We haven't been watching that many movies, one or two a week max. I phone Xfinity guy in Guadalajara and he couldn't figure out why. We have four devices on our network. Don't why we're using so much data all of a sudden. Any suggestions?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: streaming

Any chance you are using an online drive like Google Drive or Amazon S3?  Or maybe an online backup system like Backblaze?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

You've used 90% of your data this month

I received an e-mail with the above subject line. Thanks for notifying me. I wish I had been notified earlier. I set alerts on my account so that next time that will be the case. I managed to figure out what was eating all the data and have shut it down. I think this has happened before, but it's been a while so I don't know if I've already used up my 2 courtesy months. If I have, would you please consider making an exception for this month as well, since this was a completely accidental thing and I have fixed the problem?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: You've used 90% of your data this month

@atariguy wrote:

I received an e-mail with the above subject line. Thanks for notifying me. I wish I had been notified earlier. I set alerts on my account so that next time that will be the case. I managed to figure out what was eating all the data and have shut it down. I think this has happened before, but it's been a while so I don't know if I've already used up my 2 courtesy months. If I have, would you please consider making an exception for this month as well, since this was a completely accidental thing and I have fixed the problem?

This is a user-to-user forum.  

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

adding... If I recall, if you get charged (3rd month in year) there are no more courtesy months, ever.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

@atariguy wrote:

Can you tell us what was eating up the data? Ive also just come across this.. Only halfway through the month and I've used over 1TB somehow. Ive been watching the meter the past couple days and somehow I've still used 200 GB without downloading any programs. Mostly just online gaming and youtube watching in my house. The only thing that changed this month was a new backup service I was using, "O-Drive", so I dont know if that was the problem, but I have stopped it from running.

Anyone know there if there is a free network monitor tool that I can use to analyze my network and see which devices are using a lot of bandwidth and possibly get notifications?

Contributor

The only thing that changed this month was a new backup service I was using, "O-Drive", so I dont know if that was the problem, but I have stopped it from running.

An online backup solution is going to be uploading all your data to there servers which is going to eat into your data usage.  Your first backup in particular is going to use a lot of data as it needs to upload everything selected for backup. Once your first backup is finished it's data usage should drop considerable as then it would only have to upload changes you make.  You could check your settings and see if it has a way to limit it's usage.

As far as monitoring your network for usage, you'd have to have a router with that feature as the router is the only thing that can see the entire network and all your usage.  Any software solution you find would only be able to monitor the single computer it's installed on.

New Poster

@RobertWy

Yeah, I know. But they used to have employees monitoring that would take care of things for you, and this was a much less painful way than going the normal customer service route. I guess they've quit doing that. Smiley Sad

Silver Problem Solver

@atariguy wrote:

@RobertWy

Yeah, I know. But they used to have employees monitoring that would take care of things for you, and this was a much less painful way than going the normal customer service route. I guess they've quit doing that. Smiley Sad

You will find red-letter Comcast employees in this forum.  

Contributor

I called in to get the unlimited plan added to my account since last month there was $120 overages added. I figure $50 is less then that. When I called I was told it was on sale for $25/mo for 12 months and I jumped right on it!
New Poster

Data usage

We have been talking to customer support several times without any success 

we have had Comcast xfinity for 6 years. We recently cancelled cable and went to internet only. We use Hulu live tv and a roku premier. 

‘We watch about 6 hours of tv combined per day, mostly news.  We watch maybe 2-3 movies a week and a couple other shows like madam secretary and the handmaiden on Hulu. We have been getting notices that we use more data than 99% of Comcast customers, Comcast stating that the average customer uses about 120 GBB per month. We were at 999gb last night, almost to the 1T limit before additional charges. So we turned our tv off, and our iPads. Our phones are not on Wifi at all. Our data for the month of June would be set fresh at 1024gb (1T) the next morning. We logged onto our account first thing in the morning, before turning on tv etc.  We already showed 9gb of use, while we slept, with no devices urned on. We phoned customer support , who transferred us to security. They agreed something was wrong but couldn’t figure out what.  Only suggestion was to change our secure password.  While on the phone, we checked usage again...we were using over 1gb of data by the time the call ended. So, by extension, we could use over 300gb of data a month without ever using our iPads or turning on a tv.  Anyone have any idea what’s going on?

New Poster

Does Local streaming count toward 1TB

Does any local streaming count towards the 1TB limit?  For example a computer connected to the newtork and other wifi devices steaming movies and music from it through iTunes Home Sharing.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Does Local streaming count toward 1TB

If it doesn't cross the modem out on to open internet, it doesn't count.

New Poster

ok, thank you.  I wanted to double check since my usage seemed high already for today and i've mainly been watching Home Videos on the shared library.

Silver Problem Solver

@fanmail wrote:

Does any local streaming count towards the 1TB limit?  For example a computer connected to the newtork and other wifi devices steaming movies and music from it through iTunes Home Sharing.

Does this help?

Diamond Problem Solver

I don't see any reference there for any local LAN to LAN network data transfers.

Official Employee

Re: Data usage

Whidbeydan, I would recommend reaching out to CSA (customer security assurance) team regarding your data inconsistencies. They are also the team to reach in regards to data usage concerns/disputes. They can be reached here for that: 

1-877-807-6581

Regular Visitor

Data Caps - Home Internet?

What are the data caps for home internet usage, and can I get notifications when I cross some threshhold?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Data Caps - Home Internet?

@markp99 wrote:

What are the data caps for home internet usage, and can I get notifications when I cross some threshhold?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-is-the-terabyte-data-usage-plan

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-find-area

Regular Visitor

I am in New Hampshire, not in the list of Terabyte plan states.  Does this imply UNLIMITED data?

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Mexico
  • Western Ohio
  • Oregon
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Southwest Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-find-area

Gold Problem Solver

@markp99 wrote: ... Does this imply UNLIMITED data? ...

Comcast's stance is that if you don't pay for Unlimited data, you don't have Unlimited data. But as a practical matter, "unlimited" and "no data plan" mean the same thing. Note that they reserve the right to apply a Data Plan to areas that do not currently have one whenever they wish.

In the past, in areas where a plan was not in effect, the Usage Meter page had a note that actually read something like "Enforcement of the data consumption threshold is currently suspended". Apparently they have since decided that was too clear, so now we have the "No, you don't have unlimited data. You just don't have a data plan" silliness.

Anyhow, enjoy while you can!

Regular Visitor

Thanks Bruce,

I guess that's how I read it too:  "No Plan" = "Unlimited".  Any throttling to be concerned about?

I barely crossed 1TB last month, but saw no overage charge on my statement.

/Mark

Gold Problem Solver

@markp99 wrote: ... Any throttling to be concerned about? ...

Posters often accuse them of that, but I'm not aware of any hard evidence to back up their claim.

Forgot to point you to Comcast's direct answer to your original question: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-do-i-have-unlimited-plan-if-not-in-market-with-t.... So many words, so little meaning . . .

New Poster

Re: Data Usage I'm not Using

Hi Had the same issue 6-19 said I went over the 1TB limit? 

I looked at my ASUS Trafic analyzer and it says only used 244.87gb. That is my average.  Everything goes through that router. Wifi Lan connections there is no way for other usages. I called Comcast and they said they would open a ticket and look into the security, They said they would get back to me in 3-5 days. 

How can you fight something like this when my data and their data is different. 

I have one courtesy month left now but am worried how I can fight this. 

I hope this additional info helps someone else. 

Brian 

Frequent Visitor

Couple words of advise. I was going to cancle due to hitting my second month of going over and making sure that the 3 people in my home try to limit their data ussage. watching things in 480 unless it was on the 120" projector, turning off auto play on youtube when falling asleep, yes that was an issue. and even using more phone data.  still could not stay under. but we have 3 PS4's an Xbox one, Switch, Wii U, plus we are huge computer gamers. so our data is gone when downloading games all the time.

anyways, when I called in to cancel my TV service and drop to Internet only and then i was going to pay for the unlimited, 99.99 for extreme 300, $50 for unlimited, then i was going to get youtube TV which offers live locals in my area so it works for me, and we need USA. that is $40. so 190 before tax which was want i was already paying for Internet and TV. so when i explained my problem with the cancellation department, they switch my package to another package that keep everything EXACTLY the same that i have right now. AND $10 cheaper a month, with unlimited data included for 12 more months, then it's $25, but I will be calling in and threaten to cancel again at that point.  but my point is they gave me want i wanted and then more.  

Also I must be one of the few people that have the exact opposite issue with Comcast data meter.  They do not see everything I do. I own my modem, Netgear CM1000, and router nighthawk X10.  They always show less data then my router. I have been keeping a log of what my router says and comparing it to what Comcast says every month. I always use more then they say.  

comcast says.JPG
Router says.JPG
Frequent Visitor

after posting that, i just caught something. Does Comcast not count upload traffic???  The numbers seam to match if i only look at the download numbers.

Silver Problem Solver

@jclevenger87 wrote:

after posting that, i just caught something. Does Comcast not count upload traffic???  The numbers seam to match if i only look at the download numbers.

I don't see any mention of upload.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan

Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

@jclevenger87 wrote: ... Does Comcast not count upload traffic??? ...

I don't see any mention of upload. ...

Look again. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan says:

All data usage delivered over your home Xfinity Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.
Silver Problem Solver

Thank you, Bruce.  Word search failed.

Diamond Problem Solver

@jclevenger87 wrote:

Does Comcast not count upload traffic???  

Yes. Any and all traffic that crosses the modem to / from the open internet is counted.

Contributor

@jclevenger87 wrote:

Also I must be one of the few people that have the exact opposite issue with Comcast data meter.  They do not see everything I do. I own my modem, Netgear CM1000, and router nighthawk X10.  They always show less data then my router. I have been keeping a log of what my router says and comparing it to what Comcast says every month. I always use more then they say.  

Comcast's meter is based on the UTC timezone, so if you want your router's numbers to match more accurately you need to ensure it also uses the UTC timezone, otherwise there may be several hours difference between when you and comcast start metering each month.

I've setup my router to use UTC and it's number track pretty close to what comcast reports. 

data usage.png

The above is my router to comcast comparison.  The difference is typically less than 100MB, which is insignificant in the big picture.  I'd read somewhere a long time ago that the tv.xfinity.com service was zero-rated and doesn't count, so the difference may just be my usage of that.  I can't find any definitive evidence of that now though, just some contradictory FAQ statements (one says it counts, one says it doesn't).

Will Xfinity Stream package use data from my Xfinity Internet monthly data usage allowance?
No, Xfinity Stream package is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's cable system, not over the Internet. Therefore, Xfinity Stream package data usage will not be counted towards your Xfinity Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming that is included with your Xfinity Stream package subscription, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and would count towards any usage thresholds that might apply.

vs

What counts towards my data plan?

... For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through www.xfinity.com/stream and Xfinity apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage.

Gold Problem Solver

@Kicken wrote: ... contradictory FAQ statements (one says it counts, one says it doesn't). ...

Then-employee CCLoriHC "explained" this in http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Charges-for-use/m-p/3007824#M8658 by torturing the phrases "Internet-based" and "managed network".

Why Comcast has not clarified the conflicting support articles on this, I cannot imagine. They could do it in a few minutes, and it would save hours and hours of customer confusion and anguish.

Regular Visitor

I experienced the same.  My monthly use went from 300-400 per month to exceeding the 1TB limit in one month.  I got an updated Xfininty modem/router to use Xfi.  I've changed all passwords, have rebuilt the network from scratch, identied every device on the network, etc.  As with many others, I'm not new to IT or network management.  I would buy a third party router and install different management software (to view traffic by device), but it doesn't matter.  It appears that Comcast is only acknowledging their own meters.  Until Xfi provide device level metering, with meaningful data, they hold all the cards.  If the goal was to force me to spend another $50 for unlimited, they won.  I've spent way too much troubleshooting, resetting credentials, locking down the network, turning devices off, etc., to only still see the meter running at an umbelievable speed.  It's not real.  No changes from the months when we were consuming half the data.  I live in the SF Bay area (east bay) and unfortunately Comcast is my only high speed option.  Unbelievable given where I live.  Can't wait for someone to really disrupt this space.

Expert

for X1, the DVR and XG2 have their own modem that your router would not measure. when watching 'internet' apps on any X1 equipment your data is being used. (netflix, youtube, etc)

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Contributor

What's the point of data caps?

it's really bad I can't do what I want with them.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: What's the point of data caps?

What is it you want to do?

Expert

Re: What's the point of data caps?

The point, according to Comcast, is to prevent a handful of users from hogging all the bandwidth from their neighbors. Whether or not you agree with it is a different issue entirely. Cat LOL

If you really need more than 1 TB/month on a regular basis, you can always pay an additional $50/month to lift the cap. 

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
New Poster

High Data Usage

For the last few months my data usage has been high. We have changed nothing in the way we use it. While talking to an agent (one of many) he checked a day when all of our service was out for 14 hours (telephone, cable and Internet) because of a tree falling. During that 14 hours we miraculously used 60 GB's of data even though we had NO access. One night I checked the data before I went to bed and I had 81 GB's left. Checked my Email next morning and had notice that I had used 100% of allowed data. Called and agent said that we used over 200 GB's that night while we were all sleeping.  No one seems to know how this high data usage is happening. It's nothing we are doing. Our Wifi was not working at all at points, no service on a few days, etc. Yet we are still accountable for the high usage. There is so much more to the story but the above is more or less the gist of the matter. Something is not right and there is nothing I can do. There will be a point when I will be charged because of going over the 1024 GB monthly limit and I'm not even using the data nor is anyone in my home. I have an updated modem coming in a day or two and hopefully it will help the situation, otherwise I just don't know what will happen. I am at wits end. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: High Data Usage

@Theresa32346 wrote:

For the last few months my data usage has been high. We have changed nothing in the way we use it. While talking to an agent (one of many) he checked a day when all of our service was out for 14 hours (telephone, cable and Internet) because of a tree falling. During that 14 hours we miraculously used 60 GB's of data even though we had NO access. One night I checked the data before I went to bed and I had 81 GB's left. Checked my Email next morning and had notice that I had used 100% of allowed data. Called and agent said that we used over 200 GB's that night while we were all sleeping.  No one seems to know how this high data usage is happening. It's nothing we are doing. Our Wifi was not working at all at points, no service on a few days, etc. Yet we are still accountable for the high usage. There is so much more to the story but the above is more or less the gist of the matter. Something is not right and there is nothing I can do. There will be a point when I will be charged because of going over the 1024 GB monthly limit and I'm not even using the data nor is anyone in my home. I have an updated modem coming in a day or two and hopefully it will help the situation, otherwise I just don't know what will happen. I am at wits end. 

Are you using any kind of online backup service like AWS?  My usage went over 1TB in January because of mine (not AWS).

Regular Visitor

1T of data usage not enough?

Hi!

3 users watching Netflix/Prime/HBOGO an average of 4 hours a day. Estimates say 3 gig per hour.

3 X 4 = 12. 

12 X 3 = 36.

36 X 30days = 1080 gigs per month

And this is just estimate. More data consumed on weekends.  And of course there are device updates, online gaming, game updates (on X Box there was a 60 gig update a week or so ago), Windows updates, etc.

What can we do?  I can't find a higher data usage plan.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: 1T of data usage not enough?

@mrgeek wrote:

Hi!

3 users watching Netflix/Prime/HBOGO an average of 4 hours a day. Estimates say 3 gig per hour.

3 X 4 = 12. 

12 X 3 = 36.

36 X 30days = 1080 gigs per month

And this is just estimate. More data consumed on weekends.  And of course there are device updates, online gaming, game updates (on X Box there was a 60 gig update a week or so ago), Windows updates, etc.

What can we do?  I can't find a higher data usage plan.

Are you saying you can't sign up for the unlimited plan?  Did you call 1800comcast?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/exp-unlimited-data

Regular Visitor

Re: 1T of data usage not enough?

The bigger thing of concern is that usage doubled or tripled from one month to the next, with NO change is use. No network based backups. No unusual updates. No new applications. Unfortunately Comcast doesn’t or won’t provide device level analysis of bandwidth and it doesn’t appear that they are willing to acknowledge that this is unusual.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

This is the most anti-consumer scam I've ever seen in my life. I am so livid how you offer 2 courtesy months, but charged me for the 3rd one, which I was fine with, but since I did, you now won't renew my courtesy months, all so you can push your $50 unlimted. I am leaving comcast, and I'm going to spend the next year spreading the hate, and ruining your public image, cause the disaster that is my experience over last 1 year was worst than the last 30 years I've had with cable. All your little workers lied to me for months, all so that I would be stuck without courtesy months and be forced into $50 unlimted add-on like they did to my single-mother niece.

I put up with it, cause its my only option. However, Comcast employees constantly lied about the way this system works, and when my courtesy months didn't renew like they all said it would, after talking with several people in 1 day, all telling me different stories, finally talked to a manager or data cap, who could actually tell me. He didn't care how long I've been here, how badly I was treated, or that the guy who handed him the phone, spent 40 minutes lying to me trying to sell me the $50 unlimited. I've had the triple pay for like 15 years, yet despite having every movie package you still want to remove my courtesy months, you still want to give me a data cap, and you still want to pressure and push me into a $50 unlimited. Sorry, but I left Verizon for way less, and I'm willing to deal with shady sat people, rather than deal with comcast 1 more time. You even have the gall to charge me data for having the security system, which ate up 250gb a month.....and you have the freaking gall, to charge me data for using your own freaking app, watching your stupid TV and movie channels. Yet I'm in the 1% for going over 1TB, and you feel the need to severely punish me, both by charing me $30 for going over a 3rd time, but removing my courtesy months. If you would have just given me my 2 courtesy months back, I wouldn't be here....it is straw that broke camels back. You realize I went over in Nov and Dec, the two months family are in town.....

PS. My Xbox eats 1TB for breakfast. 1 game can be 100gb, and Game Pass gives me 100+ games for $10 a month, downloading the 20 I want will kill 1TB. 1 season of TV in HDR 4K is 100gb, there is 3 4KTV's in this house with devices who do 4K video. The kid's eat watching YouTube, Music, etc. eats up data like no other.

PSS I haven't even gone over this month, nor will I and don't owe any money, but I'm still extremely mad about all the lying and promises, the treatment of a customer since 1983, and how sadistic your tactics are to make me pay $50 more on top of the 200-250 I already pay. Customers like me, should be exempt from losing courtesy months, we should be exempt from being charged for going over 10-137gbs of data, and we should be exempt from being capped. Want me to use your products.....how about this....I'm gonna cancel everything when the fiber line comes in, which will be here soon enough, til then, I'll "spend every freaking day counting my data" .

Tags (1)
Contributor

Courtesy months only return after 12 months of no overages. Good luck with satellite internet though. 

@susans36
New Poster

How am I using so much data?

I recently installed two Nest cameras, which seem to have pushed me over the 1TB data cap for 2 of the last 3 months somehow.

Comcast claims that 99% of families will never reach the limit, but my experience suggests that is a lie, or they are padding the usage numbers.

Even before I added the cameras, I was hovering around 500GB/month. We stream music for maybe an hour or two a day, watch a few Netflix/Amazon shows per week, and my kids watch YouTube on their phones for a 1-2 hours per day.

I roll my Wifi password fairly regularly, so I doubt the neighbors are freeloading. Before Comcast introduced the caps, We were routinely using less than 200GB per month. How convenient that our spike in usage corresponded with this costly data cap that "nobody should realistically hit". If my family's usage is "extreme", I am thinking that there are lots of people being equally cheated.

Is there any independent verification of Xfinity data metrics? I have seen several articles suggesting that their measurements are guesswork (or worse). Has anyone else had a similar experience?

When I asked, Comcast claimed that they could not give me any information about the specific nature of the data usage (Netflix, Nest, YouTube, etc.). They obviously track this data, so why are they reluctant to share it?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/tales-from-comcasts-data-cap-nation-can-the-m...

New Poster

Why is Xfinity exaggerating my data usage?

I checked my Google Wifi usage data for the past 60 days, and it showed that I had used around 149GB (141GB download + 8GB upload).

I have two computers connected by a wired ethernet connection. My kids use one of these to watch YouTube videos for up to two hours per day. At most, this would add another 100GB per month.

Somehow, I have violated my data cap for two of the past three months. This is obviously impossible. What is wrong with Comcast's measurement system?

New Poster

I wouldn't mind the cap if the data was accurate, or Comcast could provide some proof of the data usage. A chart proves nothing. I have exceeded the data cap two of the last three months, and my family are not exceptionally heavy users.

My Google Wifi claims I have downloaded 148GB in the past 60 days and uploaded 9GB. My wired activity is even lower (base upon how we stream).

Somehow Comcast "measured" over 1TB of activity, and they can't (won't) tell me which sites I am supposedly getting all this data from. My best guess is they are combining data from my entire neighborhood (or something similar), which is why they refuse to prove their measurements are valid.

Gold Problem Solver

@Cydeweyz wrote: Courtesy months only return after 12 months of no overages. ...

Note that once you exceed the limit a third time in 12 months, courtesy months never return. See the "What will happen if I use more than a terabyte in a month?" link on https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan:

... if you use more than a terabyte three times in a 12-month period, no more courtesy months will be given.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: How am I using so much data?

@SoyIsMurder wrote: ... Is there any independent verification of Xfinity data metrics? ...

See any of the Comast usage meter verificaton reports on https://www.netforecast.com/audit-reports/.

New Poster

data usage

Is it possible to see data usage by device?  I can't figure out why our data usage was about a third more than it usually is this month.  Also, when did the terabyte of data go into effect?  I was not aware that there was a limit on data.  I'm ready to leave comcast anyway.  I can't believe they dropped the Big 10 Network!