Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

Data usage

I am currently experiencing very high data usage. Very abnormal. I have basically not use my service today and for the first day of the month I have 28 GB of usage. Last month I almost got to 1 TB. Previous months I have been at 200 gb A month. Right now I disconnected my modem completely and turn Wi-Fi off on all my devices. I also disabled any hotspots. I’m going to see if any data is being used but even if it’s not it’s not normal that I use that much in a day when I basically didn’t do anything. Hopefully Comcast can resolve this issue so I don’t rack up data usage when I’m not using any. I’ve read other things on these boards and I’m not the only one this happened to so there must be a solution that’s convenient for me I would expect that much from infinity. Thank you
Contributor

Re: Data Usage Disparity

Sure you think Comcast is correct. You work for them. And calling any telephone number for Comcast is a joke. You can't understand them because they're in India or some other foreign 'burg. You people are crooks and there is no other word that best describes you. 

Regular Visitor

56GB in one day

Today is January 2. Second day into the new month. Check my usage in the morning when I got up.We are at 56GB ussage. With only being on the computer and watching a 48 inch TV. How is this possible. Every month we are real close to going over. We went over once already. Any ideas?

Contributor

Re: 56GB in one day

flyalaska wrote:

Today is January 2. Second day into the new month. Check my usage in the morning when I got up.We are at 56GB ussage. With only being on the computer and watching a 48 inch TV. How is this possible. Every month we are real close to going over. We went over once already. Any ideas?

Welcome to the club. I had similar activity in May, June, and July of 2017.  I decided to disconnect my equipment when not in use.  My activity was averaging 40 GB per day.  The suggested solutions to change the Wi-Fi password and check for viruses are helpful but inadequate.  I have been a customer since Comcast purchased ATT Broadband (over 15 years).  My usage has been out of sync since October 2016.  Comcast/Xfinity have determined that my problems are internal.  I thank Comcast/Xfinity that the service does work when I start it up.  The usage metering is where I have had issues for over 1 year now.  My only issue is that I remain a Comcast customer.  I take full resposibility for that choice.  AWB

Expert

internet access (toward the cap) includes watching Netflix, Youtube, etc and other internet apps on the X1 devices. The X1 devices use their own 'modem' to access the internet. If you have roku be sure to press the back button (<==) to end all app streaming. The xfinity roku app streaming doesn't count toward the cap, this is about youtube, netflix, etc.

New Poster

How to keep from reaching your data cap

Is it possible to have your services stop when you approach your data limit?

Regular Contributor

Re: How to keep from reaching your data cap

Not that I'm aware of.  That would mitigate the $10/50gb overage charges.  If you want to go unlimited there's a $50/mo option to add on.

Regular Visitor

Xfinity Live TV and Bandwidth Usage???

I thought I read a long time ago that live TV streamed via the Xfinity website or the xfinity app does not count towards bandwidth limits.  I can't find it now so I was hoping to get some clarification on this. 

Thanks.

Expert

Re: How to keep from reaching your data cap

kennethjrussell wrote:

Is it possible to have your services stop when you approach your data limit?

Some have mentioned just unplugging their router/gateway.

Regular Visitor

Are you certain the xfinity app on roku doesn't count towars the cap?  I use it and was asking this question the other day because it does seem to affect the usage when streaming live TV via the xfinity app on roku.

Is there any link you can show that states this?  I did read something along these lines ages ago but want to be certain.

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

JimmyTheTooth wrote: Are you certain the xfinity app on roku doesn't count towars the cap? ... Is there any link you can show that states this? ...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-on-roku-faqs says:

Live TV, XFINITY On Demand and Cloud DVR recordings will not count against your Internet data usage threshold if you are connected to your in-home XFINITY network. ... Usage of any other apps on Roku devices, including any TV Everywhere apps accessible with your XFINITY TV credentials, do use the Internet and will count against your XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plan.
Expert

JimmyTheTooth wrote:

Are you certain the xfinity app on roku doesn't count towars the cap?  I use it and was asking this question the other day because it does seem to affect the usage when streaming live TV via the xfinity app on roku.

Is there any link you can show that states this?  I did read something along these lines ages ago but want to be certain.

Thanks

I left the roku on streaming HD channel for a couple of days and my measured internet usage at Comcast site remained at normal levels.

Frequent Visitor

What are current Xfinity Internet data caps for PA/NJ users?

Hi. So this started out with me tonight merely as a simple curiousity when I saw I average 300gb data used per month. So that got me searching out comcast data caps saw that 16 or 18 states whatever it is get a 1TB monthly cap, EXCEPT NJ and PA is not included in that list. 

Since finding that information -- I can't find an "official" Comcast employee just plainly stating "Data caps in NJ are x, and in PA are x". I don't care about the other states I never visit/live in those states.

If comcast reads this --- lol....don't worry its nothing ominous I'm planning, there's no MASSIVE download party about to happen or anything...I merely want to know. It seems if 1TB is the current standard I've no fear of hitting that anytime soon.

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data Caps in Relation to FCC Net Neutrality Regulations?

Rustyben wrote:

Nuggy503 wrote:

The Rules FCC-1524

Adopted on February 26, 2015, the FCC's Open Internet rules are designed to protect free expression and innovation on the Internet and promote investment in the nation's broadband networks. The Open Internet rules are grounded in the strongest possible legal foundation by relying on multiple sources of authority, including: Title II of the Communications Act and Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. As part of this decision, the Commission also refrains (or "forbears") from enforcing provisions of Title II that are not relevant to modern broadband service. Together Title II and Section 706 support clear rules of the road, providing the certainty needed for innovators and investors, and the competitive choices and freedom demanded by consumers.

The Open Internet rules went into effect on June 12, 2015. They are ensuring consumers and businesses have access to a fast, fair, and open Internet.

The new rules apply to both fixed and mobile broadband service. This approach recognizes advances in technology and the growing significance of mobile broadband Internet access in recent years. These rules will protect consumers no matter how they access the Internet, whether on a desktop computer or a mobile device.

Bright Line Rules:

• No Blocking: broadband providers may not block access to legal content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
  • No Throttling: broadband providers may not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
  • No Paid Prioritization: broadband providers may not favor some lawful Internet traffic over other lawful traffic in exchange for consideration of any kind—in other words, no "fast lanes." This rule also bans ISPs from prioritizing content and services of their affiliates.

123. The no-throttling rule also addresses conduct that impairs or degrades content, applications, or services that might compete with a broadband provider’s affiliated content. For example, if a broadband provider and an unaffiliated entity both offered over-the-top applications, the no-throttling rule would prohibit broadband providers from constraining bandwidth for the competing over-the-top offering to prevent it from reaching the broadband provider’s end user in the same manner as the affiliated application.280  Page 52. FCC 15-24

So can someone from comcast explain how data caps are promoting anything in the above mentioned? Im just failing to see how data caps fall in line with these new FCC RULES? Some cable providers, not saying Comcast does, even have specific protocols about how to handle customers who bring up the net neutraility issue.

The rule you quote is unrelated to any CAP that a customer has on their account. You can buy a huge SUV but gasoline costs the same per gallon to fill the SUV as it does to fill a small economy car. Comcast provides different 'speed' tiers which your multiple concurrent users can use their share of your bigger pipe. The total that goes through your pipe is measured and that data that is not inside/from Comcast's internal managed network (example: cloud DVR streams) counts toward the Cap (if any). Customers like me in Cap areas can upgrade to unlimited data at optional, extra cost. for info, I have streaming to-cloud security cameras (2) running 24/7 and some IOT running all the time and stream a lot. Per my iPhone's xFinity My Account app i have used 165GB through the 25th. I note you said you have 4k through Netflix but you didn't mention that Netflix charges more for that level of service (you pay more than HD only customers). Did you write Netflix and complain that your increased consumption of data from them should be free, too?

All the above is illustrative and not in any way a statement against any other customer's thoughts/feelings/beliefs about Caps and speed tiers (mine is blast 75 at the moment).

Comcast rolls out 1TB cap, hit with $2.3 million FCC fine for unauthorized equipment charges

Frequent Visitor

Network Quota: Any way to see what APPS are using up the quota ?

I am running into the "quota problem", where most months I am using 1/3 of my quota and then some random month the quota usage goes over the limit.  Is there a way to see "network usage per Application."  Right now I can only see the total quota usage on the Comcast site, its not broken down by application.  I tired searching but did find a good app to do this.

Thanks in advance

Regular Visitor

That's strange because I ran a test with very light internet usage and the Roku live TV app running all day on an HD news channel and there was a noticable increase in the bandwidth usage. It was nearly 10 gigs. With normal usual it's below 1 gig so this is way above normal. i use my own modem not the one supplied by Xfinity. This shouldn't matter but who knows.
New Poster

Internet

How can I controlled my Internet when I rent my house. I don't want to exceed my plan?

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

internet access (toward the cap) includes watching Netflix, Youtube, etc and other internet apps on the X1 devices. The X1 devices use their own 'modem' to access the internet. If you have roku be sure to press the back button (<==) to end all app streaming. The xfinity roku app streaming doesn't count toward the cap, this is about youtube, netflix, etc.

In my case, those apps do not apply.  I don't use X1, netflix, Roku, or other Internet Apps on my 2003 Sony Wega TV.  So far, when I disconnect my switch, the usage does not increase.

AWB

Expert

iPhones and iPads and other devices have the option to use wifi instead of cellular.  I have found that if I use cellular for my devices, I go over my cellular limit.  Using wifi bumps up my Comcast data usage. 

Just trying to get a handle on my Comcast usage; how to keep from going over the 1TB limit; it costs more in a month than my cellular carries charges for going over their limit.

New Poster

Re: Cause of sudden increase in data usage is unknown.

I thought the same thing. I was fine now all of a sudden over and don't know what device is doing it. I am about to just cancel. I cannot afford overages
Problem Solver

My ASUS router (RT-AC68P) has the ability to monitor bandwidth usage throughout my network, including what devices are gobbling it up and even what apps are doing it. 

Also, IIRC, when I still had my TG3482G/XB6, I could use the xFi utility to check which people and which devices were using up bandwidth. (Note xFI requires a compatible Comcast gateway to work). 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
New Poster

Re: Data usage

I'm joining the ranks of all of you!  We just got a notice yesterday that we were going over our limit. Until now, I hadn't realized there was a data limit. We have added nothing new, we never play games over the internet, I'm not home during the week and yet for January 2018 (and this is only 1/20/18) we are over our 1T limit. I called customer service and they said they would check into it. That seems to be what they have told all of you. My usage was 124GB in October, 180GB November, 480GB December and 1099GB (so far) in January. That's an incredible jump! I've changed the wi-fi password and checked the devices associated with the account. Nothing seems out of order except the huge spike in usage that cannot be accounted for. According to the agent I would get 2 free "passes" to go over the allowed amount; however when I check my account online it says I will be charged $20 for the overage. I put a message on my NextDoor app and found 1 other person in the community who had this problem. Is there a solution other than paying Comcast more??

Regular Contributor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

We have not gone over 500gb in all the months we have been capped at 1000gb, nor did we ever before. This Christmas, our son received an Xbox Scorpio system, and a day or so later, I found our usage was around 900gb! He was downloading games from the internet and I told him to slow down and give it a rest. We barely scraped through without going over. Early January, our usage was back to normal, then suddenly around mid month we were around 500 gb. Then in one day, it showed over 150 used since the previous day. I just don't see how that's even possible. I've been streaming 1 to 4 movies a day and stopped that for several days. My son has not been downloading any more games to his console as he finished that.

Any advice appreciated. I don't want to spend every month worrying about exceeding data limits and can't afford to pay for unlimited.

Thank you.
Expert

JeanF wrote:

I'm joining the ranks of all of you!  We just got a notice yesterday that we were going over our limit. Until now, I hadn't realized there was a data limit. We have added nothing new, we never play games over the internet, I'm not home during the week and yet for January 2018 (and this is only 1/20/18) we are over our 1T limit. I called customer service and they said they would check into it. That seems to be what they have told all of you. My usage was 124GB in October, 180GB November, 480GB December and 1099GB (so far) in January. That's an incredible jump! I've changed the wi-fi password and checked the devices associated with the account. Nothing seems out of order except the huge spike in usage that cannot be accounted for. According to the agent I would get 2 free "passes" to go over the allowed amount; however when I check my account online it says I will be charged $20 for the overage. I put a message on my NextDoor app and found 1 other person in the community who had this problem. Is there a solution other than paying Comcast more??

are you in a condo/apartment (common cabling, homeowners, etc providing cable? how many set top boxes do you have? have you checked your press-exit-5-seconds and hit down down 2 -- and navigate to MoCA and look at the 'grid' of MoCA connections. How many lines on the grid have data? Does the number of lines match your set top box? is yours a Comcast modem/gateway with wireless? have you changed the default password for wifi if Comcast unit from the one on the modem?

Expert

I went over my Sprint data plan so I changed my wifi devices to use wifi instead of cellular.  Now I'm rapidly approaching 1TB.  Fortunately, there are only two of us now that all our children have moved out.  I think the cellular data is less expensive than $50/mo for wifi.

New Poster

understanding data usage

I keep getting notices that I am using up my data but this has never happened to me before. I don't understand.  Why is this happening?  Why would it happen suddenly and not all along?

Contributor

That's basically the same thing that happened to me. All of a sudden I was over the 1TB limit from one month to the next. No way. We all know it's them and not us but the only way I see around it is telling Comcast to go to you know where. They wrote the book on scam artists and they're doing everything they can to squeeze another $$ out of every customer. The thing about it is, they know they're crooked as a snake and don't care. So far I'm staying well under the 1TB limit but, hey, we don'[t do anything hardly on the computer except a little YouTube. I went from 49GB in May of last year to 1101GB in June. Now you know that's practically impossible to do. That's the only month I've been over the 1TB limit which I didn't even know exiisted until it showed up on my bill. Numerous complaints and all I ever got was they'd check on it. Really just telling me to stick it up you know where. Anyway that's the way it is. I just hate to see a crook continue to get away with their unbelievable business practices.

New Poster

Hi.

I saw your post and wondered what you ended up doing. I have been having the EXACT same problem. I have gotten new modem/router, changed passwords, increased my firewall and in 4 days my day has increased 100G. We don’t game. I work 10hrs a day, my parents are 70 and basically watch old cable shows and play scrabble or listen to Pandora when mom is cooking so the fact that we hemorrhaging data doesn’t make sense. Can you tell me if or what you did to resolve it and how you got a tech to come out and run a diagnostic? ANY help you can give me would be so helpful thanks!
Expert

TNTx3 wrote:
Hi.

I saw your post and wondered what you ended up doing. I have been having the EXACT same problem. I have gotten new modem/router, changed passwords, increased my firewall and in 4 days my day has increased 100G. We don’t game. I work 10hrs a day, my parents are 70 and basically watch old cable shows and play scrabble or listen to Pandora when mom is cooking so the fact that we hemorrhaging data doesn’t make sense. Can you tell me if or what you did to resolve it and how you got a tech to come out and run a diagnostic? ANY help you can give me would be so helpful thanks!

are you in an apartment or condo? just thinking that maybe you are missing a POE (point of entry) filter and a unit is connected to your DVR/xg2 rather than their own and using your internet instead of their own.

New Poster

Hidden Cramming

This is a new method for comcast to add invisible charges. 

Most customers are seeing a 30% spike in data when nothing has changed on their end. I am mostly sure they are rounding up and adding invisible charges to your download cap, which in turn result in justified billing cramming. 

Regular Contributor

Update: Our usage suddenly seems to reflect our actual usage and the numbers are not going up leaps and bounds. One thing I did as someone suggested was to shut off that "community" wifi Hotspot that is somehow supposed to provide "sharing" access to the community without affecting our usage. The next day things went back to normal. We live in a single family home so I don't think our problem had anything to do with being in a multi family apartment house situation.
New Poster

Hi Rustyben,

No we are in a house

New Poster

HI Renata,

Where is this "community Hotspot" I don't think I've ever seen it and I will try anything at this point. We are "using about 100GB a day

Expert

wrote:

HI Renata,

Where is this "community Hotspot" I don't think I've ever seen it and I will try anything at this point. We are "using about 100GB a day

That may be referrng to the xfinitywif SSID.  You can turn it off here:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot

New Poster

Thanks RobertWy. I will try this, but will this affect how my parents are able to watch programs on in another via Netflix or stream Pandora that sort of thing?

Regular Contributor

Hi, TNTx 3, Please see this page which will explain it better than I can. Thanks
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot
Expert

wrote:

Thanks RobertWy. I will try this, but will this affect how my parents are able to watch programs on in another via Netflix or stream Pandora that sort of thing?

Once the xfinitywifi SSID is turned off, any wifi device will have to use the SSID's that are provided by the Comcast router.

Expert
Moved:

personal information in post (email). Post Removed per Forum Guidelines. You can review these here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

New Poster

Data usage

How is it possible to use 800 GB of data in one day? 

New Poster

How much does it cost if you go over
Gold Problem Solver

SingleD wrote: How much does it cost if you go over

Please see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan, especially the "What will happen if I use more than a terabyte in a month?" link.

New Poster

Over charging for data useage

Unethical! I have had a ur with xfinity internet.I don't game,just watch some TV like I have for the 12 months. Now concatenation/xfinity is telling me I am going over. I work and my dog does not use any data so how in the world can I go over.This is all about the almighty dollar and squeezing out just a little. More!Disgusting! Shame in you xfinity/comcast!
New Poster

I am confused as to why Comcast would double our speeds and then hit us with 1 TB data cap...

Yay!

It's obvious anyone who is a power user is going to hit the cap every freeking month!

We have internet so fast and were just starting to enjoy it and then we hit our data cap... Where else can I log a complaint because this is super shady even for Comcast.

Expert

wrote:

I am confused as to why Comcast would double our speeds and then hit us with 1 TB data cap...

Yay!

It's obvious anyone who is a power user is going to hit the cap every freeking month!

We have internet so fast and were just starting to enjoy it and then we hit our data cap in the first month... Where else can I log a complaint because this is super shady even for Comcast.

i usually hit 250gb per month with 2 mpeg4 security cams streaming off-site 24/7 and watching a lot of netfix. 

New Poster

wrote:

wrote:

Yay!

We have internet so fast and were just starting to enjoy it and then we hit our data cap in the first month... Where else can I log a complaint because this is super shady even for Comcast.

i usually hit 250gb per month with 2 mpeg4 security cams streaming off-site 24/7 and watching a lot of netfix. 

Yea well PC games these days are 50, 60 even 70 GB a piece in some cases. 1TB is not enough for gaming if you have to reload your PC or what not.. I guess my only choice is to start backing up all the games to another drive so I dont hit the cap. Hard drives and SSD's are 1,2 even 4 TB now days so it's pretty lame to have such a small cap when we have almost 300 dollar a month contract.

I do however understand if someone was abusing it and downloading 24/7 but that's just not the case. IMO the cap should be more then 1TB but that wouldnt make Comcast anymore money so I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears but hey... gotta try!

Contributor

If Comcast has convinced you that it might be a good idea to back up terabytes of stuff rather than redownloading it routinely, then they probably count that as a success.

New Poster

data plan

what would cause an abnormal usuage of data on my plan

Expert

Re: data plan

wrote:

what would cause an abnormal usuage of data on my plan

I had that happen to me in the last three months; each month was larger than the last until I went over the 1TB limit.  My only guess is that Internet streaming is causing it.  It started after I got a 4K TV and started using the TV's apps for Youtube and Netlix, etc.

Expert
Moved:

Re: 1Terabyte Data limit

Expert
Moved:

Re: 1Terabyte Data limit