Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

data usage

how do i check my data usage for my account on line ?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: data usage


susanwestcott wrote: how do i check my data usage for my account on line ?

Try "https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/". If you have the "new" version of My Account, it'll be on "https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices".

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast say I've used 900gb in 2 weeks, my router say I've used 500gb in 30 days. Who's gonna wi


@BruceW wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

RobertWy wrote: ... I use my iPhone Xfinity My Account app ... to check my usage every day ... It has always agreed whenever I check my Comcast Account usage.

What is the point of comparing your Comcast reported usage to your Comcast reported usage? What does that accomplish?


Good question.  I am verifying the validity of both sources.  If they don't agree, then I have an issue that may need to be addressed,


Surely you realize that agreement between those numbers tells you nothing about whether the usage reported is accurate? You are, ultimately, comparing one number to itself?


I'm pretty sure those numbers will tell me when I am getting close to getting a surcharge for going over my cap.

 

That is what I am trying to monitor.  I have family members who do a LOT of streaming and I need to watch for this.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast say I've used 900gb in 2 weeks, my router say I've used 500gb in 30 days. Who's gonna wi


@RobertWy wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

RobertWy wrote: ... I use my iPhone Xfinity My Account app ... to check my usage every day ... It has always agreed whenever I check my Comcast Account usage.

What is the point of comparing your Comcast reported usage to your Comcast reported usage? What does that accomplish?


Good question.  I am verifying the validity of both sources.  If they don't agree, then I have an issue that may need to be addressed,


Surely you realize that agreement between those numbers tells you nothing about whether the usage reported is accurate? You are, ultimately, comparing one number to itself?


I'm pretty sure those numbers will tell me when I am getting close to getting a surcharge for going over my cap.

 

That is what I am trying to monitor.  I have family members who do a LOT of streaming and I need to watch for this.


That's fine, but the post you originally replied to (by locngoc, ‎12-16-2016, 06:43 PM) asked how one could verify the accuracy of the usage Comcast reports. Your "check the number they report in two different places" advice does not accomplish that.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast say I've used 900gb in 2 weeks, my router say I've used 500gb in 30 days. Who's gonna wi


@BruceW wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

RobertWy wrote: ... I use my iPhone Xfinity My Account app ... to check my usage every day ... It has always agreed whenever I check my Comcast Account usage.

What is the point of comparing your Comcast reported usage to your Comcast reported usage? What does that accomplish?


Good question.  I am verifying the validity of both sources.  If they don't agree, then I have an issue that may need to be addressed,


Surely you realize that agreement between those numbers tells you nothing about whether the usage reported is accurate? You are, ultimately, comparing one number to itself?


I'm pretty sure those numbers will tell me when I am getting close to getting a surcharge for going over my cap.

 

That is what I am trying to monitor.  I have family members who do a LOT of streaming and I need to watch for this.


That's fine, but the post you originally replied to (by locngoc, ‎12-16-2016, 06:43 PM) asked how one could verify the accuracy of the usage Comcast reports. Your "check the number they report in two different places" advice does not accomplish that.


My mistake.  Point taken.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast say I've used 900gb in 2 weeks, my router say I've used 500gb in 30 days. Who's gonna wi

This is closer to MY frustration..

 

I have Nest cameras, a video door bell, cloud-enabled thermostat and deadbolt - and THREE TEENAGERS!

I have limited the one that was leaving YouTube running all night, but:

a) the interface on this abymsal router is slow and painful.. setting time-based filters is complicated, and you cannot set a time limit "from 9pm to 7am" (crosses days), nor can you set limits for more than one time window per IP. [I have on other routers]

b) most of the connected devices listed are "Unknown", so now I have to go track down 50+ mac addresses to see what they are.

c) reporting is weak, so you can't really see "top talkers" or bandwidth by day/week/month without seting up this kind of control, which, as I said, is painful

 

Fundamentally - I see this as corporate greed, and the only recourse we have is to vote with our feet... Being able to change our contract on a whim is just fundamentally unethical, and asking me to give over another $600/year so I can get back to the service I was sold is offensive.

 

Sadly - as Comcast has weeded out a good bit of the competition, the options are pretty limited. The next fasted vendor in my area is CenturyLink, but the site says they max out at 40Mb, and now that Comcast has set the cadence for bad behavior, I suspect they may throttle too (or change my contract after they get me in bed). 

 

But fundamentally - what is the point of good bandwidth if you can't use it ("We can go fast for 15 days, then everyone has to stop using the Internet!")? Many people have pointed out that UHD content is in the 7GB per hour range, and even HD content is ~4GB per hour. Bandwidth ludites who feel "any old amount of bandwidth is good enough for me" seems like an attitude from a bygone era. I signed up, and am paying for ~150Mb of unlimited Internet. FULL STOP.

 

Thanks for bringing back "the bad old days" of metered Internet, Comcast... I can only hope there is enough backlash from this that the idiots who decided this was a good idea have to reconsider, or at the very least, lose their jobs. This is just wrong.

New Poster

Why is it only certain States that Are being limited to 1024GB a month?

Hello everyone,

 

Does anyone know the real reason why Xfinity has started to limit the amount of internet that one can use in a certain state that provides their internet because I live in California and I do not understand why limit the internet usage here if there are millions of people living here and why not do the same to New York.

Regular Contributor

Re: Why is it only certain States that Are being limited to 1024GB a month?

One word- Competition.
Do you have access to another high speed internet provider other than Comcast?

The internet usage fees and 1Tb Cap are a money grab by Comcast.
New Poster

Re: Why is it only certain States that Are being limited to 1024GB a month?

Honestly I think this is a bunch of bull and have talked to their response team. The only answer I got was "oh you don't use more than 300GB you'll be fine." I work in IT and at times download large files. The 250 down was really nice but I don't have anyone else in my area (google fiber skipped my neighborhood sadly.) I've already filed a complaint with the BBB, FTC, FCC, and just filed a complaint with the attorney general. Not that it will resolve the issue but the more complaints they get the more paperwork the management has to do. If enough people complain and make management do paperwork the more likely this stupid greed practice will go away. 

 

So TLDR:

Contact the Better Business Bureau and complain in Philladelphia (corporate offices)

Contact the FTC and FCC

Contact your states Attorney General.

 

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Why is it only certain States that Are being limited to 1024GB a month?

I use about 450gb per month, now mysteriously, I have used 638gb in 20 days this month. I'll wait for a response from Comcast.

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Just got the flyer on my doorstep yesterday, munincipal fiber is available. 250gb speeds @ $30 less a month with NO CONTRACT, and a 2TB data cap. Comcast, honest question, why should I stay?

 

 

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

EVERYONE needs to file a complaint with the fcc.

 

Comcast locked my pricing in January 2016.  I did not have a limit on usage.  Now in December I get a warning that my data usage is over one TB.  This is bait and switch.  I contacted customer service 5 times today.  The first guy just disconnected me.  The Internet service department just kept reiterating that I need to pay 50$ more a month for unlimited usage.  I told him about the agreement but the guy who was obviously not from the U.S. was hammering me to sell me an unlimited package.  Finally ended up in sales with a lady that wanted to put me on hold again.  COMCAST I AM NOT PAYING YOUR FEE UNTIL OUR AGREEMENT IS UP.  And at that time I am leaving your company.

 

Secondly, this is an attempt by comcast for you to choose thier cable over streaming services.  They are using thier internet company to leverage cable cutters.  Monopoly.

 

Third, the capping of data moves our society backward.  With 4k on the horizon, gaming a multibillion dollar industry and internet usage at an all time high, monopolies for charging extra for data should not exist.

 

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Keep in mind, if we pay this $50 fee, next year it will be $100.00 and then??? Where will it stop!

Regular Contributor

Re: Why is it only certain States that Are being limited to 1024GB a month?


@Viper122 wrote:

I use about 450gb per month, now mysteriously, I have used 638gb in 20 days this month. I'll wait for a response from Comcast.


That's what I thought.

New Poster

usage meter show higher than modem/router

My router, the only one connected to the modem, shows a total (sent and received) of a little over 5Gb; yet, my usage meter shows more than 35Gb used over the same period. Why?

Expert

Re: usage meter show higher than modem/router


@msrice2 wrote:

My router, the only one connected to the modem, shows a total (sent and received) of a little over 5Gb; yet, my usage meter shows more than 35Gb used over the same period. Why?


Some things to think about:  

 

Do you have a SmartTV and is it connected to your home network if so, do you use any APPS in the TV?  Do you stream anything?  Are there any devices connected to your network that you do not recognize?

 

 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: usage meter show higher than modem/router

This is part of the problem - we are given none of the tools to tell what was used or by whom (like a "Top Talkers" report). Wouldnt this totally blow up if we find out THEIR bandwidth reporting is innacurate?? A WHOLE new level of unethical behavior! Go Comcast!!

 

Things to ask Comcast/Xfinity:

  1. When people use the "xfinity" wifi (that can't be turned off), does that count?
  2. Does bandwidth used by "On demand" content count?
  3. How could it not dawn on Comcast to give us a router that might allow us to have some control over any of this? (Hint: this is an contrivance to extract MORE money).

I echo all of the frustration and disgust I am reading in these forums. I was at my cap 20 days into the month. I don't even think the filter I created to limit my son is working!!!

 

I have already called CenturyLink, and I'll be contacting my legal services.

 

Regular Visitor

Obscene Jump in Home Network Data Usage

I got a notice this month that I had used 90% of my data from Xfinity (which seemed odd in the first place since I thought I had unlimited data). I logged on to my account to see what's going on, and I find that not only have I supposedly used 945GB of data this month (Dec), but apparently 2 months ago (Oct) I used 3814 (yes, that's right, almost 4T of data. That's absolutely absurd. Both my wife and I work during the day, so we're only home and awake for 3-4 hours at night. I don't have an Xbox or Playstation (which I've heard in other instances being a culprit for eating hundreds of GB... not thousands).  I do have 2 nest thermostats, 2 dropcams (both set on resolutions of 360, so not HD).  My kids are 3 and 5, so they're not downloading torrents or other shady stuff... just an hour or so of streaming Disney Jr or ABCMouse.com on a iPad each night.  I did also check the clients connected to my Apple Time Capsule and all wirelss clients looked legit.  

 

Looking at the 3 month history, it was October that had the absurd jump in data to 3,814 GB. The other months, Sept and Nov were 217 and 140GB, respectively, which seems high, but definitely more reasonable. Dec now has jumped to 945 GB to date. How can one possibly go from 217GB to 3814GB back to 140GB without any changes in typical usage!??  

 

Any thoughts or ideas?  

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 8.24.33 PM.png
Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Prior to Comcast adding Netflix access (I use a Roku for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon)
My data usage in the past 2-3 weeks since has DOUBLED from the past 3 months usage and I do NOT for a minute believe I have used that much data. Explain?
How about a data usage monitor that shows data usage per individual DEVICE?
Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

Re: Why is it only certain States that Are being limited to 1024GB a month?

Same here 😬
New Poster

Re: Obscene Jump in Home Network Data Usage

I've just experienced the same thing.  I check my data usage every morning and today found I'd gone from 800GB yesterday to over 1700GB.  Did nothing different while I was sleeping, but be offline.  Have no internet-of-things devices, just Rokus, a computer and tablet.  So far, I'm unlimited, though I expect the day will come when I won't be.  Not sure how to manage things if I magically increase my usage by 900GB in 24 hrs.  Something's fishy.

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Great the internet evolves and Comcast tries to figure out how to squeeze another penny out of customers!

 

My only concern here is, how can comcast change my services while I am under a PLG with you.  2 YEAR CONTRACT, that if I wanted to modify my services, i.e. - CANCEL, then I have to pay a cancellation fee.

 

From their terms & conditions - 8.  Comcast may rearrange, delete, add to or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Services.

 

Doesn't that line itself change this from an agreement between two people to... My name is comcast and I can do whatever the heck I want?!!?!

 

When I signed my contract with your company, I have an expectation of service from the agreement. 

 

I really feel like Comcast and any business in general, needs to be held to a higher set of standards.  If someone agrees to use your company for 2 years and locks themselves into a one side contract that seems a little unfair.  Comcast should have to keep their end up and provide services that were agreed upon when a customer commits and have to fulfill what was agreed upon until the end of the contract.

 

I hope a comcast rep is able to read this and pass it along with all of the other people complaining about their ridiculous data cap.

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

By the way, I did call in and get out of my contract with comcast because of this shadiness.  

 

I pushed until they said they would not charge me a cancellation fee.

 

I did have a double play with the works and now I just have internet (because I work from home and comcast is only one with legit speeds in my area) to get me through my day.  Because of this absurdity, I now to choose to give comcast as little as possible.  

 

Way to go comcast!

Expert
Moved:

DATA CAP NONSENSE!?

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Hello! I'm an extremely upset human being. Since being put on this 1TB Data Cap, my house-hold has managed to surpass it and we're now getting charged for using the Internet; just normal everyday Internet Usage. These Data Caps are so inhumane and appauling, that I'm shocked that we as a society have now come to this.

 

I have so many anaologies to this; and this is wrong on so many levels to do to people. This is not Cellular Service; you can't charge for the "Internet" as you do access to a Cellular Network with Data Metering.

1) We already pay an increased amount of Bandwidth. This was how Comcast could limit their pipe usage so everyone wasn't blazing around the internet for super cheap.

2) Now we're going to be foced to pay a 'Fee/Charge' for using too much data. Break it down; they're now charging us for using something in quantities, which has no literal quatifiable tangability. (This is highly illegal; it used to be called Price Gouging) #DataGouging

3) Life has been happy and just fine without any kind of Data Limits and there's no technicial reason that Comcast needs to limit people's data other than for their own greed. There's no "Data Shortage" out there.

 

Let's look at this...


A) You and I both wear the same shirt. However, because I wear the shirt more than you (every month)... I have to pay an extra charge every month to where I bought it.

We all drive the same roads. However, since I drive on the roads more than you drive on the roads, I have to pay an extra fee per mile because of this. We're both alloted only 100 Miles of Road Travel a month. If we go over 100 Miles on the road, we have to pay $10 per 50 Miles extra

 

Aside from how immoral and wrong it is to even place a "Cap" on the backbone of our technological society and exploit your uers... 1 TB of Data is too low of a Data Cap. As technology increases, so does their sizes and data rates. Video Games along have an average download size of 40GB and the major releases are generally up in the 80GB-120GB range. That's already ~10% of the 1TB Data Cap for a month in just one video game. Now imagine there's two kids in a house-hold that both digitally purchase the same game; that's nearly 20% of the cap gone.

Comcast is clearly making an extremely bold statement here. They attempt to push the "If you use more, you should pay more" mentality, however that just doesn't apply here as there's no tangible good.   

 

I refuse to believe that only 1% of Comcast Customers are hitting a 1TB Data Cap, and I demand that Comcast provides edivence and proof of this figure that isn't over 1 year old. You CANNOT base your PRESENT Data Cap off of figures and data from the PAST. They have to stay current with the ever developing industry. Here's some numbers now:

 

According to Netflix here is the amount of data you will use per hour:

  • 0.7 GB per hour for SD (Standard Definition)
  • 3 GB per hour for HD (High Definition)
  • 7 GB per hour for UHD (Ultra High Definition also known as 4K)

Wathing ONE EPISODE of the new Amazon Show "Grand Tour" in UHD will consume 7% of your monthly Data Cap. Any FAMILY will easily surpass this when you have kids in the house that watch the same videos/shows over and over again. So how would you combat this? Well, purchase Phyiscal Copies, one might say? However this is taking a major step backwards in our technological advancements. Comcast is exploiting our useage of Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, and other like services that use the Internet, as we move away from Cable. Anyone can see the big picture that's being painted over at Comcast HQ. They're telling us to use LESS INTERNET or else we're going to pay for it; literally.

 

Let's look at the statement "Users that use more data should have to pay for it." I'm already paying a higher premium for Faster Download Speeds, so why do I have the same Data Cap as everyone else does across all your Internet Tiers? Please answer me that. If Joe is paying $50 and has 1 TB Data Cap, and I'm paying $80 but also have a 1 TB Data Cap, then your statement is already false. Please explain this to me. I'm already paying more than Joe for Internet, but we both have the same Data Cap; but per your own statements posted on your website, this shouldn't be the case! Why do I not have an increased Data Cap since I'm paying more? That's literally what Comcast's statement is... so if by their logical alone I should have an Incrased Data Cap on my Tier of service. 

 

I could go on and on about how inhumane this is... would someone please put their foot down on this already! This is just MIND BLOWING that it's even being allowed to happen. 

Expert
Expert

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


@Strikes12 wrote:

Hello! I'm an extremely upset human being. Since being put on this 1TB Data Cap, my house-hold has managed to surpass it and we're now getting charged for using the Internet; just normal everyday Internet Usage. These Data Caps are so inhumane and appauling, that I'm shocked that we as a society have now come to this.

 

I have so many anaologies to this; and this is wrong on so many levels to do to people. This is not Cellular Service; you can't charge for the "Internet" as you do access to a Cellular Network with Data Metering.

1) We already pay an increased amount of Bandwidth. This was how Comcast could limit their pipe usage so everyone wasn't blazing around the internet for super cheap.

2) Now we're going to be foced to pay a 'Fee/Charge' for using too much data. Break it down; they're now charging us for using something in quantities, which has no literal quatifiable tangability. (This is highly illegal; it used to be called Price Gouging) #DataGouging

3) Life has been happy and just fine without any kind of Data Limits and there's no technicial reason that Comcast needs to limit people's data other than for their own greed. There's no "Data Shortage" out there.

 

Let's look at this...


A) You and I both wear the same shirt. However, because I wear the shirt more than you (every month)... I have to pay an extra charge every month to where I bought it.

We all drive the same roads. However, since I drive on the roads more than you drive on the roads, I have to pay an extra fee per mile because of this. We're both alloted only 100 Miles of Road Travel a month. If we go over 100 Miles on the road, we have to pay $10 per 50 Miles extra

 

Aside from how immoral and wrong it is to even place a "Cap" on the backbone of our technological society and exploit your uers... 1 TB of Data is too low of a Data Cap. As technology increases, so does their sizes and data rates. Video Games along have an average download size of 40GB and the major releases are generally up in the 80GB-120GB range. That's already ~10% of the 1TB Data Cap for a month in just one video game. Now imagine there's two kids in a house-hold that both digitally purchase the same game; that's nearly 20% of the cap gone.

Comcast is clearly making an extremely bold statement here. They attempt to push the "If you use more, you should pay more" mentality, however that just doesn't apply here as there's no tangible good.   

 

I refuse to believe that only 1% of Comcast Customers are hitting a 1TB Data Cap, and I demand that Comcast provides edivence and proof of this figure that isn't over 1 year old. You CANNOT base your PRESENT Data Cap off of figures and data from the PAST. They have to stay current with the ever developing industry. Here's some numbers now:

 

According to Netflix here is the amount of data you will use per hour:

  • 0.7 GB per hour for SD (Standard Definition)
  • 3 GB per hour for HD (High Definition)
  • 7 GB per hour for UHD (Ultra High Definition also known as 4K)

Wathing ONE EPISODE of the new Amazon Show "Grand Tour" in UHD will consume 7% of your monthly Data Cap. Any FAMILY will easily surpass this when you have kids in the house that watch the same videos/shows over and over again. So how would you combat this? Well, purchase Phyiscal Copies, one might say? However this is taking a major step backwards in our technological advancements. Comcast is exploiting our useage of Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, and other like services that use the Internet, as we move away from Cable. Anyone can see the big picture that's being painted over at Comcast HQ. They're telling us to use LESS INTERNET or else we're going to pay for it; literally.

 

Let's look at the statement "Users that use more data should have to pay for it." I'm already paying a higher premium for Faster Download Speeds, so why do I have the same Data Cap as everyone else does across all your Internet Tiers? Please answer me that. If Joe is paying $50 and has 1 TB Data Cap, and I'm paying $80 but also have a 1 TB Data Cap, then your statement is already false. Please explain this to me. I'm already paying more than Joe for Internet, but we both have the same Data Cap; but per your own statements posted on your website, this shouldn't be the case! Why do I not have an increased Data Cap since I'm paying more? That's literally what Comcast's statement is... so if by their logical alone I should have an Incrased Data Cap on my Tier of service. 

 

I could go on and on about how inhumane this is... would someone please put their foot down on this already! This is just MIND BLOWING that it's even being allowed to happen. 


in this thread see message number 1546 that gives procedure for you to follow.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert
Moved:

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

GB data cap

I think the data cap plan is ridiculous. I've been a comcast customer for over 20 years, and charging more for your service is not very customer service oriented. 

New Poster

Re: Comcast say I've used 900gb in 2 weeks, my router say I've used 500gb in 30 days. Who's gonna wi

I don't understand how we went from using 334 gb in September to 1028 in December. When I was with AT&T Uverse we averaged 400 a month. Something seems very wrong here. We don't know what could account for this huge difference in data usage. I agree that they should not be able to make this change in the middle of my contract. Pay an extra $50 a month for unlimited??? That is outrageous and not possible for me. This is awful.

Regular Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Two questions:

When/How is the data usage updated? Been on a week including two 1Gb downloads and it still shows no data usage

 

When is the data usage reset? First of month or billing cycle?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


dbvirago2 wrote: ... When/How is the data usage updated? ... When is the data usage reset? ...

Please see http://www.netforecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/NFR5120_Fourth_Comcast_Meter_Accuracy_Validati...

 

The Usage Meter resets on the last day of each month at 24:00 UTC, which is 7PM Eastern Standard Time (6PM CST, 5PM MST, 4PM PST).

New Poster

Videos being cancelled for download by xifinity

I paid for the unlimmitted usage of internet. Within the last hour, I reached 125% of my total data? And now no videos will play from any site.

 

Unbelievable.

Contributor

How would 1 TB a month policy affect heavy Steam users?

 Comcast recently imposed a limitation of 1 TB per month in Oregon. If you go over 1 TB, you will be charged 10 dollars per 50 GB. Steam has many thousand games which you must download them first. 

 

 How would that affect Steam users which like to restore their hard drive with Acronis True Image and re download massive games from Steam? 

 

 That was why I waited until end of this month to do massive legal downloads from Steam which I now only have 45 GB left. I used around 500 GB today to download games because I restored my hard drive (doing cleaning up before 2017). 

 

 And on a different subject, when I am done with the contract, I will get rid of cable and just use HSI maybe Frontier, but I don't need cable and know why? Because we are being tackled with broadcast fees which are increasing few pennies each month. And I will go Frontier because it has true unlimited downloads.

 

Thanks, THartmann9374

Contributor

Re: How would 1 TB a month policy affect heavy Steam users?

Already exceeded 1 TB on the last day of this month and already used one courtesy. I think that should be waived because of last day and December is a long month, longer than most months.

 

 We are thinking about changing to Frontier after our contract are up. We are not doing anything illegal, but just downloading big Steam games. 

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


@Strikes12 wrote:

Hello! I'm an extremely upset human being. Since being put on this 1TB Data Cap, my house-hold has managed to surpass it and we're now getting charged for using the Internet; just normal everyday Internet Usage. These Data Caps are so inhumane and appauling, that I'm shocked that we as a society have now come to this.

 

I have so many anaologies to this; and this is wrong on so many levels to do to people. This is not Cellular Service; you can't charge for the "Internet" as you do access to a Cellular Network with Data Metering.

1) We already pay an increased amount of Bandwidth. This was how Comcast could limit their pipe usage so everyone wasn't blazing around the internet for super cheap.

2) Now we're going to be foced to pay a 'Fee/Charge' for using too much data. Break it down; they're now charging us for using something in quantities, which has no literal quatifiable tangability. (This is highly illegal; it used to be called Price Gouging) #DataGouging

3) Life has been happy and just fine without any kind of Data Limits and there's no technicial reason that Comcast needs to limit people's data other than for their own greed. There's no "Data Shortage" out there.

 

Let's look at this...


A) You and I both wear the same shirt. However, because I wear the shirt more than you (every month)... I have to pay an extra charge every month to where I bought it.

We all drive the same roads. However, since I drive on the roads more than you drive on the roads, I have to pay an extra fee per mile because of this. We're both alloted only 100 Miles of Road Travel a month. If we go over 100 Miles on the road, we have to pay $10 per 50 Miles extra

 

Aside from how immoral and wrong it is to even place a "Cap" on the backbone of our technological society and exploit your uers... 1 TB of Data is too low of a Data Cap. As technology increases, so does their sizes and data rates. Video Games along have an average download size of 40GB and the major releases are generally up in the 80GB-120GB range. That's already ~10% of the 1TB Data Cap for a month in just one video game. Now imagine there's two kids in a house-hold that both digitally purchase the same game; that's nearly 20% of the cap gone.

Comcast is clearly making an extremely bold statement here. They attempt to push the "If you use more, you should pay more" mentality, however that just doesn't apply here as there's no tangible good.   

 

I refuse to believe that only 1% of Comcast Customers are hitting a 1TB Data Cap, and I demand that Comcast provides edivence and proof of this figure that isn't over 1 year old. You CANNOT base your PRESENT Data Cap off of figures and data from the PAST. They have to stay current with the ever developing industry. Here's some numbers now:

 

According to Netflix here is the amount of data you will use per hour:

  • 0.7 GB per hour for SD (Standard Definition)
  • 3 GB per hour for HD (High Definition)
  • 7 GB per hour for UHD (Ultra High Definition also known as 4K)

Wathing ONE EPISODE of the new Amazon Show "Grand Tour" in UHD will consume 7% of your monthly Data Cap. Any FAMILY will easily surpass this when you have kids in the house that watch the same videos/shows over and over again. So how would you combat this? Well, purchase Phyiscal Copies, one might say? However this is taking a major step backwards in our technological advancements. Comcast is exploiting our useage of Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, and other like services that use the Internet, as we move away from Cable. Anyone can see the big picture that's being painted over at Comcast HQ. They're telling us to use LESS INTERNET or else we're going to pay for it; literally.

 

Let's look at the statement "Users that use more data should have to pay for it." I'm already paying a higher premium for Faster Download Speeds, so why do I have the same Data Cap as everyone else does across all your Internet Tiers? Please answer me that. If Joe is paying $50 and has 1 TB Data Cap, and I'm paying $80 but also have a 1 TB Data Cap, then your statement is already false. Please explain this to me. I'm already paying more than Joe for Internet, but we both have the same Data Cap; but per your own statements posted on your website, this shouldn't be the case! Why do I not have an increased Data Cap since I'm paying more? That's literally what Comcast's statement is... so if by their logical alone I should have an Incrased Data Cap on my Tier of service. 

 

I could go on and on about how inhumane this is... would someone please put their foot down on this already! This is just MIND BLOWING that it's even being allowed to happen. 



Although I couldn't agree more with your statement, the math on Netflix streaming is a bit off.  7GB per hour would only be .7%, so about 1% per hour for UHD streams (sorry to nitpick).  I am not siding with Comcast on this, I totally get where you're coming from and 1TB is not even close to enough. Comcast's claim to only 1% of their users exceeding this doesn't sound right.  If it is really only 1% why bother with the caps?  Comcast has a data estimator on their website that is flawed.  It does not allow for game downloads which as you know have become rather large these days, with three gamers in our household this adds up real quick.  I am now forced to micro-manage the use of the internet and come up with solutions to not hit this silly data cap.  I guess it's back to phyical media for movies and games. I'm pretty much stuck with Comcast in my area if I want decent internet speeds. I also think that $50 a month extra for unlimited is excessive.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Videos being cancelled for download by xifinity


@patrickdengler wrote:

I paid for the unlimmitted usage of internet. Within the last hour, I reached 125% of my total data? And now no videos will play from any site.

 

Unbelievable.


Sounds like the unlimited cap applies to next month's usage.  I would call Comcast Billing.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert
Regular Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

The instructions are for the old site, which worked. The new one shows no data used and hasn't changed. 

 

Good to know it resets tonight. I better get downloading

 

ScreenHunter_02 Dec. 31 15.12.jpg

Expert
Moved:

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Contributor

1TB Data Cap Across ALL Plans??

Why does someone paying for the lower tier plan of Internet have the exact same data cap (1T that I would have with a $100+ Data Plan?? That means not all data is equal....

It's only logical, and fair, that if I'm going to be paying for a higher tier of internet service, that my Data Cap is higher to show for it! 

Not only is this completely exploitive to force us to pay twice for the same service... but also not to extend a higher cap for paying for a higher tier of service?! I've had 'Unlimited' data for decades; and now we're being charged an extra $50/mo for something we already had, for no good reason!! If you're going to impose a data cap; then you need to make it EXTREMELY HIGHER. But you're NOT because you're drooling over the new fees and damages you'll be collecting from people that go over and will be forced into this $50 increase in their monthly payments! 

 

FOR SHAME

 



New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

That is morally illegal. People have been payment a fixed amount for unlimited data in the old day. When they first implement the cap, they did not reduce the charge. Mathematically, they jet up the price infinity (that is why they rebrand as xfinity).

Also, they charge customer $10 for additional usage, if so, they need to reduce the service charge by $10 for not using the x amount of data.

Comcast is a theft in my mind.
Expert
Moved:

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Regular Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Stats started showing up. 

Contributor

Data Cap - Streaming Xfinity TV Count Toward It?

I was curious; if I'm streaming Xfinity TV on my PC/Tablet/Mobile Device at home... is that counting toward my Data Cap?

Expert

Re: Data Cap - Streaming Xfinity TV Count Toward It?


@Strikes12 wrote:

I was curious; if I'm streaming Xfinity TV on my PC/Tablet/Mobile Device at home... is that counting toward my Data Cap?


See if this link helps:  https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Data Cap - Streaming Xfinity TV Count Toward It?

It does answer the question. A rather horrible answer though.

So why is Xfinity promoting to me that I can do all these amazing things with Xfinity TV... where if I -DO- use these amazing features and services, I just get knee-capped in the end by the same company! 

TLDR: Yes, when we stream Xfinity TV through our mobile/pc/tablet devices, we're using our data cap. That's stupid. (to put it bluntly)

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data Cap - Streaming Xfinity TV Count Toward It?

Also, I'm sure that a lot of people who use the X1 TV system, are unaware that the apps on there all count towards the cap too.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-internet-data-usage-details

Visitor

Re: 1TB Data Cap Across ALL Plans??


@Strikes12 wrote:

Why does someone paying for the lower tier plan of Internet have the exact same data cap (1T that I would have with a $100+ Data Plan?? That means not all data is equal....

It's only logical, and fair, that if I'm going to be paying for a higher tier of internet service, that my Data Cap is higher to show for it! 

Not only is this completely exploitive to force us to pay twice for the same service... but also not to extend a higher cap for paying for a higher tier of service?! I've had 'Unlimited' data for decades; and now we're being charged an extra $50/mo for something we already had, for no good reason!! If you're going to impose a data cap; then you need to make it EXTREMELY HIGHER. But you're NOT because you're drooling over the new fees and damages you'll be collecting from people that go over and will be forced into this $50 increase in their monthly payments! 

 

FOR SHAME

 




 

 

Good point but knowing comcast and its greed I would worry they would say okay highest plan gets 1tb data cap and lowest plan gets 100gb data cap.

New Poster

Cause of sudden increase in data usage is unknown.

In the past 2 months I have suddenly exceeded my data usage plan.  I have no explanation for this.  How do I discover the source of this sudden increase?