Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

Re: Data Usage

I have had the same issue.  Since July, since that is as far back as the data usage shows, I have not reached anywhere near the 1TB of data that Comcast indicates is included with the package we have.  (At no time was I told that there was a Data Usage limit).  November and December I have all of a sudden gone over my usage.  Nothing has change in the amount of streaming and internet we use.  This doesn't seem right.  I have talked to Tech Support and they are no help.

New Poster

Re: Data Usage Soaring

We are having the same issue.  With no resolution.  

New Poster

That doesn't make a difference.  There is nothing running in the back ground.  It sounds like everyone started having this problem around the same time.

Frequent Visitor

No, no "errant software" running in the background, no viruses.  I've had several conversations with Level 1, 2 and 3 support people, all with no resolution.  I've moved to xFi which relieves the problem of exceeding data limits but does not solve the problem of excessive data usage. 

Last night, for instance, while I was asleep, my Macbook was in sleep mode, my iPhone was not in use and with no background updates occurring, I consumed 44 GB of data.  Using the Comcast data usage estimator, that usage represents more than 24 hours of streaming music, almost 48 hours of gaming, an hour of Netflix HD. How does that happen *overnight*?

I do have an iPhone XS Max which has had some complaints of too much data usage but I shut background updating and location services to virtually every app off. Yet still Xfinity records enormous uses of data.  I am at a complete loss on how this is happening. Luckily, an Xfinity hardware upgrade has at least taken the financial penalty (aside from the extra $10/month for xFi service) off the table.

Regular Contributor

Check this thread for many ways that have been found (so far) to use lots of data as well as techniques to help track it down.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Terabyte-Internet-Data-Usage/td-p/2741624

Also, as noted there, the Comcast meter is not real-time, so when you go to sleep, and check it when you wake up, you may not be metering (just) the time period that you think you are metering.  As for streaming - it is possible (easy even) to consume 44GB in 8 hours with a 4K device left streaming (and this does come up on streaming device forums that people ASSUME their streaming boxes stop streaming when they turn the TV off - but they often don't).  But it may well not be streaming, too.

New Poster

But if the streaming device is still running after the tv is turned off, that is not a new development.  I have been streaming for almost two years and there hasn't been any  change is devices or usage in that time.  It has just been since November and December.  If you read their literature about 1T of data 21 hours of TV a day.  We work, unless my dogs are watching TV, there is something wrong.  I don't think it is apps running in the background.  Because the apps would have been running in the background over the last two years.

Regular Contributor

Don't get hung up on streaming - it may not be that at all.  On the other hand, don't use Comcast's  "generic" numbers for streaming either.  Eg: I just goggled up something that says the Netflix's highest quality level streams at more than 11GB.hour.  Some people, for example, buy a 4K TV and don't realize that their streams just automatically upgraded to the resolution of the TV.  As for running the same apps in the background - apps change all the time.  In the terabyte thread, you'll see people who were happily running Amazon drive, or Back Blaze, until they just started consuming massive data for no obvious reason.  These are just examples.  As another example, our usage went up in November as well.  And it went up in November of last year.  However, I expect it to go down like it did last spring when the weather got nice.

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate the response but these are all just wild guesses. Additionally, they have at their core an assumption that customers are unaware of what our devices are doing. Another assumption that the age of the data provided is unknown and the guide Xfinity provides for data usage is unreliable.

Whatever else the responses indicate, they indicate that the guidance and data information provided by Xfinity is unreliable and is of no use when diagnosing the source of data consumption. Yet the fault for the issue, politely hinted, is with the customer and not with the unreliable and unusuable information provided to the customer by Xfinity.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response and the  link to the thread. However, the thread just repeats what is available elsewhere and refers to data sources already identified as either unreliable or unhelpful. The thread also includes a sales pitch for the unlimited data plan, which seems to be a solution benefitng Xfinity more than the customer.

Regular Contributor

Well that's a long thread but my reading of it was quite different.  There are of course many people simply complaining - some apparently simply on principle, and that's fine.  However, I haven't seen any evidence that convinces even me that Comcast meter is generally unreliable. (And as another customer, it benefits me if the Comcast meter is proven to read too high.)    One exception - I believe there have been cases where the wrong modem was on an account - so technically the meter was still accurate - just metering the wrong people!

Now, the non-real-time nature of the meter is annoying.  But it can be worked around by using long time periods.

However, mixed in with the complaining and shock that data limits even exist, you will find quite a few posts from people who describe what their problems turned out to be and posts on how to find the issue.  Many people HAVE solved their high data use issues. 

And if you think the problem really isn't you, then you can use the same techniques to prove it, which is a lot better than just saying you think/hope it isn't.

The unlimited plan is just an option.   If you think it benefits Xfinity more, then obviously it is not for you.  (I don't use it either.)  On the other hand, at least one person in that thread preferred it to doing any testing to finding out where his data was going.  To each his own.

Anyway, I'm just trying to give you ideas.  If you don't like them, you can apply your own ideas.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry about thread length.  All borne of frustration over not finding a solution to the data issue.

My reaction to the problem of Xfinity's supplied tools is based on your comments. In your 1/17 2:48 PM post you advised, "don't use Comcast's  'generic' numbers for streaming".  As for the meter numbers, you inform us that " the Comcast meter is not real-time" in your 1/17 1:46 PM post.

I interpret those two cautions as a meter that provides no useful information to diagnose an issue - noted to me by an Xfinity tech as well in one of my calls to Xfinity - and a usage guide that may understimate some data usage by orders of magnitude.  If both of your judgments are accurate, Xfinity provides tools that are not useful or reliable and may even be characterized, if the commenter is in a bad mood, as misleading.

I appreciate your desire to help and the time you spend in the forums providing help. My previous post simply pointed out that despite the desire they have not moved me or the other posters on this thread closer to a resolution. I don't mean to be impolite, only direct in describing my experience. It's not that I am ignoring your suggestions, only saying that your suggestions posted in this thread do not resolve or help resolve our mutual predicament. 

New Poster

Data Plan 1TB doesn't match Netgear's "traffic meter" feature

Hello, I got an email stating "you've used 90% of your 1024 GB monthly data plan."  I was surprised since I haven't gotten this email in over a year.  I remember the last time I got close to over I turned on the "Traffic Meter" in my Netgear wired/wireless router (which is the only device connected to my cable modem).  The Netgear traffic meter says that in January I have used ~328GB, which is not even close to 1024GB.  Anyone see this?  I am wondering what is accounting for the difference?  Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Your last statement is pretty broad.  If you describe which suggestions (if any so far?) you have attempted and how they have failed you, someone might be able to provide more ideas.  No one out here in a forum knows what devices, users, uses, applications, malware etc. you may have going on at home, so if you're going to track data use, you will be doing most of the legwork.  Many culprits listed in the terabyte usage thread were things that I had previously never even heard of. 

I didn't mean to suggest that this is a trivial problem - it will take some effort to track down.  I think that's why some people just change to a different plan.  They feel it's just not worth their time.  If it's worth your time, then I believe you will be able to solve it. (Eventually.)

Regular Contributor

BTW, they give you two "courtesy months" of data overage without charge so you do have some time to figure out what's going on before you have to pay.

Frequent Visitor

I've gone through everything: no smart tv, nothing running on Apple TV, no evidence of hacking into my router, turned off location services for most iPhone apps, no extra devices attached to the router, no change in daily use of devices using the router.  

Tools available in Xfinity are inadequate to provide a diagnosis of the issue. Moving over to xFi and their more robust diagnostics to see if a solution to the issue can be found there. 

xFi is an additional almost $11/month but the unlimited data feature at least removes the threat of extra data charges.

Thanks for the exchange.

New Poster

I understand what you are saying.  The question really is why since July (since that is as far back as the data usage graph shows) the data varies but exceeds during November and December.  Also, at no time was I informed by Comcast that there was a limit on data and what the charge would be for overages.  That is my major problem. I have also checked out the data usage estimator and over estimated and i am way according to that i should only use 760G a month. This was way over estimating as we work full time and we don’t have a 4 K tv or game.   Again I am talking 2 years we have been doing the same things.   I don’t have anything special with Comcast just Internet my own modem and router (which they don’t like).  Can anyone tell me if the data usage graphs have always been on the My Account?

Frequent Visitor

The data usage graph has been there since Comcast has been threatening data limits (several years now but I don't know precisely how long).  I note that AT&T user boards have the same sorts of complaints about Apple devices eating up data at unexpectedly high rates. 

The data usage analysis tools provided by Comcast are useless for anything other than tracking usage over fairly long periods of time (48 hours or so). You can't isolate usage to a particular day or over a fixed set of hours.

xFi does provide more useful analytical tools but there is a monthly charge.  More expensive but you do get unlimited data along with a new gateway that offers much faster download speeds, a stronger signal and more control over what devices are using the network.

Contributor

Consider to power off your cable modem when you go to sleep and see which devices and which programs unexpectedly start beeping or display error messages right away, or the next morning.    Powering off the cable modem for a few nights in a row while you sleep is also a nice way to test your theory that the unexpected data usage is occurring while you sleep, given the latency in the account usage-meter kindly provided by comcast.   

Aside from the 'power off modem' idea, there are many tools available to diagnose and find answer to your question.    One is called wireshark.      Also, modern router+wifi+hubs have "top talker" and other functionality to help you eyeball which devices are receiving or transmitting the mystery packets.   If your router does not have such functionality you might want to consider upgrading to one that does, along with possibly taking ownership of your home network and devices.   (Consider to separate the cable-modem and wifi-router-hub into two separate boxes both owned not rented, if you have not done so already.)   Fwiw, my recent moto router has the "top talker" and other meter/counter screens that will show the chatty devices.    Once the chatty device is identified, other methods can be used to identify the type of traffic in case you need to go further.    If the chatty device is your streaming TV device, there you will have the answer you seek.  If the offending device is a windows PC, you can use task-manager in admin mode and sort the output by xmitted or received packets, and the offending process may be at the top, or maybe a DLL that is "masquerading" for the owning process.        

New Poster

My data went sky high after we bought an Apple TV with Direct TV built in. Unless you double-click the "TV" button on the Apple TV remote then swipe away the Direct TV app it will continue to run in the background, even if the TV is off. I suspect their menu system is a data pig. Mine uses up to 35GB per day unless the app is closed. Personally, I think it's a bit of a scam to increase revenue. How can Comcast not know this huge data hog is a major culprit for overcharges? The people on the Comcast help desk, seem oblivious. Maybe you have a similar situation going on.

Silver Problem Solver

@Astrolopithicus wrote:

My data went sky high after we bought an Apple TV with Direct TV built in. Unless you double-click the "TV" button on the Apple TV remote then swipe away the Direct TV app it will continue to run in the background, even if the TV is off. I suspect their menu system is a data pig. Mine uses up to 35GB per day unless the app is closed. Personally, I think it's a bit of a scam to increase revenue. How can Comcast not know this huge data hog is a major culprit for overcharges? The people on the Comcast help desk, seem oblivious. Maybe you have a similar situation going on.

You might want to post this in the Internet forum also; there are some threads about the 1TB limit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

internet data usage cap

Why is there now a cap on internet data usage? I thought that was done away with that.
Frequent Visitor

Re: internet data usage cap

Yeah, it is unbelievable that this day and age companies still treat Data like a limited resource. I’m paying for the speed of my connection not how much I transfer. I always like to compare this to Car rentals with “unlimited” miles. If you rent a vehicle and are told you are allowed to travel as far as you would like per day, but only up to 300 miles. Then either your car will not exceed 35mph for unlimted miles (throttling), OR you can pay an addition $50 to go as fast as you like (keeping it within speed limits of course) for as far you’d like. If you got this response from a car rental business you’d think they are crazy!
New Poster

1TB is not sufficient these days. We need at least 2TB!

For Christmas I decided to give myself a Nest Hello Door Bell and three inside cameras. The cameras are 1080P HD resolution. Nest states that each camera could use up to 300 GB a month.

So there goes my 1TB limit. As of this morning I'm already up to 1138GB.

when I bought the cameras I updated to the extreme Blast which give 20 MBPS upload instead of only 10 and also improves the download to I think 250 MBPS for an extra $10 a month.

Prior to the cameras I have never gone over. 

The extreme package should increase the limit to 2TB.

The next package xFinity offers is Unlimited for an extra $50 a Month. I dont need unlimited. I only need 2TB. and I would be happy to play $20 for extreme blast if it aslo raised the limits from 1TB to 2TB.

If Comcast doesnt offer a 2TB package with the extreme plan, i might as well cancel extreme and have the seciruty cameras upload at 720 in which case they only use about 120 GB a month.

Come on Comcast/xFinity 1TB these days is too low and forcing unlimited as the only option for $50 a months is extremes. Give us a 2TB package!!

Silver Problem Solver

@Mumaliscious wrote:
Why is there now a cap on internet data usage? I thought that was done away with that.

Not an answer to why:

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/plans/

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

@Mumaliscious wrote:

To keep you from switching away from cable to streaming for your only TV.  You can be exempt from the cap but it'll cost $50 extra which defeats the point of switching to streaming to save money.  If it were really about data use, Comcast wouldn't zero-rate their own cable streaming service (exempt from the data usage cap.)  Most ISPs have caps and zero-rate their own TV streaming service now to give themselves a competitive advantage.  Also, that cap was put in place before 4K streaming was really a thing.

New Poster

different usage between my router and comcast

My data usage has been a consistent 100 gigs more accordingly to Comcast than my router meter.  I have complain about this many times on the phone and nobody can tell me why.  So I am going to check tomorrow morning and find out if my usage starts at 100 gigs from the get-go.

Frequent Visitor

Average Data Usage for a Computer

I use my PC everyday and the usage on my PC is  reaching High and is using 51%. Is this normal?

Regular Contributor

Re: Average Data Usage for a Computer

I'm not sure what you mean by "high" and using 51%.  51% of a terabyte?  I would call half a terabyte a lot of data, but it all depends on what you're doing.  A PC can be functional with no network data use at all.  On the other hand, a PC is also capable of using whatever bandwidth you have at 100% capacity.  We use nowhere near half a terabyte a month. Again, it just depends on what you're doing with it.  (Or if you have malware, what the malware is doing with it!)

And is a PC the only thing you have?  A smart TV or a streaming gadget can use plenty of data too.  As can apps on cable TV boxes.

Frequent Visitor

Is my PC usage normal?

Screenshot (2).pngJust use it for twitter and team speak and some youtube

Expert

Re: Is my PC usage normal?

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin.

You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Is my PC usage normal?

New Poster

1 terabyte data cap is a joke!

With 4K streaming now a common thing, it is easy to blow through a terabyte of data per month. I’ve only been with Xfinity now for 2 months and went over both months. So much for less than 1% of users going over. The data cap should be more than a terabyte. Heck, Every single Frontier plan is unlimited data. Had anyone told me about the data cap before signing up with xfinity, I never would have done it.
New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

This is a joke. I have gone over both months I’ve been with Xfinity. I even asked about unlimited data yesterday with someone and was told I can’t even have it. Every Frontier internet plan includes unlimited data. Xfinity either needs to switch to this or expand the data cap. With 4K streaming very common now, it’s eady to use a terabyte of dats in a month no problem. Had I been told there was a dats cap, I never would have signed up with xfinity. I guess the person that helped me in the store conveniently forgot to tell me there was a data cap.
Regular Contributor

@FJL1987 wrote:
This is a joke. I have gone over both months I’ve been with Xfinity. I even asked about unlimited data yesterday with someone and was told I can’t even have it. Every Frontier internet plan includes unlimited data. Xfinity either needs to switch to this or expand the data cap. With 4K streaming very common now, it’s eady to use a terabyte of dats in a month no problem. Had I been told there was a dats cap, I never would have signed up with xfinity. I guess the person that helped me in the store conveniently forgot to tell me there was a data cap.

I'm not sure why.  You need to call again and get someone who knows how to add it.  It clearly states "After using these 2 courtesy months, if you exceed the plan you will be charged $10 for each 50GB of additional data provided, but charges will not exceed $200 each month, no matter how much you use."

Also. here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/exp-unlimited-data

"If you enroll in the Unlimited Data Option, you will pay a flat fee of $50 per month regardless of how much data you actually use."

So there is a specific stated billing policy for overages and unlimited allocation.

New Poster

Data Usage Exceeding 1TB

We have been told we have gone over 1tb of data for January and February and will now be charged when it happens again.  We are a household of 3, who work during the day, so there is no way we are using this much data each month.  I am now looking at our usage in the portal, and 5 days into March we are already up to 194gb.  At this rate, we will again go over the 1tb limit.  Comcast cannot tell me what is using all of this data!  Shouldn't they have to prove this?  Even though I know there is no way we are using this, if they could prove it, I would consider upgrading to unlimited.  I am stuck in a contract and don't have many options.

Regular Contributor

Re: Data Usage Exceeding 1TB

Do you stream any TV on a Fire, AppleTV, or Roku? If so, make sure to exit streaming services and retirn to the home screen or even unplug the to troubleshoot. Secondly, change your wifi password in case someone has figured out how to use yours.<br>Video game machines can use a ton of data for game updates if you have any.<br><br>Maybe lost what devices you have in your house and we can make suggestions.<br><br>Yes, Comcast knows most of what you’ve been doing as they monitor it, but they won’t share that with you.
Expert

Re: Data Usage Exceeding 1TB

@TaylorH wrote:
Do you stream any TV on a Fire, AppleTV, or Roku? If so, make sure to exit streaming services and retirn to the home screen or even unplug the to troubleshoot. Secondly, change your wifi password in case someone has figured out how to use yours.<br>Video game machines can use a ton of data for game updates if you have any.<br><br>Maybe lost what devices you have in your house and we can make suggestions.<br><br>Yes, Comcast knows most of what you’ve been doing as they monitor it, but they won’t share that with you.

any cloud backup services also use the internet. some users are using a service to backup their iphones (photos/videos) and desk/laptop. the streaming using the Roku and the xfinity stream beta channel (like an app) will use 'in the house' data but bytes are not counted by Comcast since it is internal to comcast (as opposed to TVgo channels on smart devices and desk/laptops. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Data Usage

I've had Xfinity for 5 days and I've hit the Terabyte limit......any suggestions on what to check?  

Expert

@kerrycosta wrote:

I've had Xfinity for 5 days and I've hit the Terabyte limit......any suggestions on what to check?  

see the post just before your post. do you have your own modem/gateway/wifi router or have a comcast router/gateway?

Silver Problem Solver

@kerrycosta wrote:

Did you check what your account says?

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/services/internet (Monthly Data Usage) 

Expert

@kerrycosta wrote:

You just replied on an ongoing post with absolutely no information for anyone to help you.

How many people and devices are being used on your network?

How many devices used to game or view 4K?

Is you network set up with a strong password and protected from being hacked? This might be the case.

Frequent Visitor

Re: 1TB is not sufficient these days. We need at least 2TB!

1)  I would argue that 2 TB isn't enough either.  Our data usage for February was 2191 GB (about 2.14 T.  We're already at 443 GB for March according to my Xfinity phone app. 

2)  The numbers on the webpage someone listed for "How much is a TB" are suspect to me.  Specifically, the 600-700 hours of HD video.  What is that based on?  Some providers and equipment manufacturers still consider 720p to be "HD" video.  Meanwhile, most streaming in our house is at 4k (2160p), which is substantially more data-dense.

3)  Teenagers.  'Nuff said.

4)  This really shouldn't surprise anyone, since the US isn't even in the top 100 countries for affordable broadband.  That is offset slightly by the recent move into the top 25 countries for average broadband speed - but usually only if you are in a "dense" market with that high-speed infrastructure.

With that in mind, we pay the $50 extra a month for unlimited data.  After the initial contract discounts (12-24 months), it was cheaper for us to cut the cord on TV / phone - but our situation is likely not the "norm" for most consumers (discounts from work benefits, etc). 

Regular Visitor

Re: Data usage

We had 4 TVs and Blast internet, data usage was running 700-800GB per month.  Went with internet only, and data usage is now @ 200-250 GB per month.  And that is streaming @ 6-8 hours per week...OTA for tv now.....

Contributor

It was just cheaper for me to get the xFi modem.

$28 a month for the modem and unlimited data vs $50 for unlimited data.

Regular Visitor

@kellysa111 

Is that $28 a month something that is offered as a standard option? If yes, is it tied down to a specific Speed plan?

I am scheduled to start service next week and the modem/gateway device for me will be charged at $11 a month.

Thanks.

@kellysa111 wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

@kellysa111 wrote:

What data plan do you have?  Is it xFi Advantage, by any chance?  It is not available in my market yet.

Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@kellysa111 wrote:

What data plan do you have?  Is it xFi Advantage, by any chance?  It is not available in my market yet.

I have the Gigabit. xFi advantage is on my bill now but I haven't gotten the new xb6 advance modem I got the TG1682G modem.

s that $28 a month something that is offered as a standard option? If yes, is it tied down to a specific Speed plan?

I am scheduled to start service next week and the modem/gateway device for me will be charged at $11 a month.

Thanks.

I am not sure if it's offered as standard. I got on chat and asked about the unlimited data for my Gigabit. They told me $55 per month and then they checked to see if I could get it cheaper and the xFi Advantage came up for $28/month with the modem included in the price.
Regular Visitor

@kellysa111 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@kellysa111 wrote:

I have the Gigabit. xFi advantage is on my bill now but I haven't gotten the new xb6 advance modem I got the TG1682G modem.

s that $28 a month something that is offered as a standard option? If yes, is it tied down to a specific Speed plan?

Thanks.

I am not sure if it's offered as standard. I got on chat and asked about the unlimited data for my Gigabit. They told me $55 per month and then they checked to see if I could get it cheaper and the xFi Advantage came up for $28/month with the modem included in the price.

Thanks for the response. I did not see that option when signing up on the website so not sure if it is available in my area.

My service is suppose to start next week so I will keep an eye on the usage and see if I can talk to them before the end of the service month. 28 dollars per month is a lot more palatable than 55. Or 11 + 50 if they decide to bill me full price for the gateway as well as Unlimited Data.

Silver Problem Solver

@akshtray wrote:

@kellysa111 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@kellysa111 wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks for the response. I did not see that option when signing up on the website so not sure if it is available in my area.

My service is suppose to start next week so I will keep an eye on the usage and see if I can talk to them before the end of the service month. 28 dollars per month is a lot more palatable than 55. Or 11 + 50 if they decide to bill me full price for the gateway as well as Unlimited Data.

I much prefer the XB6; it is Docsis 3.1 and has been rock-solid since I got it.  I do not use its wifi; I have a 1950 home with lots of hard wood walls so I got the Orbi and turned off the XB6 wifi.

New Poster

I fully believe Comcast is fudging the numbers to force people to pay for extra GBs (that they're not really even using). Around 3-4 months ago, my internet usage suddenly doubled. Nothing new was added to our network. Our viewing habits did not change. We don't have any neighbors leaching our internet. This is extremely fishy.