Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Highlighted
New Poster

1TB cap means no more cloud backup?

1TB cap here in Chicago has come. Looks like cloud backup for me is out the window... sigh... what are people doing instead? I really really don't want to have to reasearch NAS/server stuff ...

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: 1TB cap means no more cloud backup?

I'm also in Chicago and thought they weren't allowed to put a cap on data....did I misread this somewhere? I was also told by a higher level tech that the free xfinity wifi hotspots around the city use data from modems in the area. I don't know how accurate that is but had the xfinity hotspot feature  turned off on my modem. 

Im not a huge data user besides watching Netflix movies and/or streaming movies from my computer to TV to watch. My data usage went skyrocket the past 2 months according to Comcast. I find it absolutely impossible to have used that much data. I don't even use close to 1gb of data on my iPhone per month.

Comcast is pulling more BS when they can't even get their services to work smoothly/correctly. They should put more focus on customer service and loyalty. Me and 10 other units in my condo bldg are on the verge of switching. It's not worth the constant headache. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Wait, using the X1 TV app "in-home" counts against my data usage?

Highlighted
Contributor

@bruistopher wrote:

If by app your referring to your phone or tablet.......then yes ......you'd be steaming (using data on wifi)

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Now that is absolutely ridiculous! I hope they make that VERY clear in commercials, advertisements and when signing up new customers. Comcast has an app that requires one to use wifi to stream shows. They even brag about the app in commercials when comparing their service to competitors. Then, Comcast puts a cap on data and starts to charge if you go over that cap. You get charged for using their app to see how much data you currently have used. You get charged to "pay" your bill  using their app. You get charged to see if there's an outage in your area. Basically, you get charged to do anything related to Comcast including using their "amazing" one of a kind apps. In a world where mostly everything is streamed and uses wifi, Comcast decides to once again take advantage and add on another fee.  Families that have multiple TV's, multiple devices to back up to the cloud and kids streaming all sorts of shows are not going to tolerate this. This is going to backfire.  Many people stay with Comcast because they don't feel like doing the work to transfer to another service. This is going to be the push people need to make the change. Question:  If people connect to a Comcast wifi hotspot from home will they get charged anything?
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Site crashed
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage Does the functionality enabled by X1 Cloud DVR count against the XFINITY Internet data usage threshold?

@Dragrazor wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:

If by app your referring to your phone or tablet.......then yes ......you'd be steaming (using data on wifi)

Thanks for the reply. But on the X1 Cloud DVR faqs page it says the following:

Does the functionality enabled by X1 Cloud DVR count against the XFINITY Internet data usage threshold?

Downloading and/or streaming DVR recordings, live TV or XFINITY On Demand content will not count against your Internet data usage threshold if you are connected to your in-home XFINITY network. However, if you chosse to stream or download DVR recordings outside of the home, this may count against data usage threshold.

So why is it that when I'm streaming my DVR recordings outside of the home and use my cell phone network does it count against in-home XFINITY network?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage Does the functionality enabled by X1 Cloud DVR count against the XFINITY Internet data usage threshold?

@bruistopher wrote:

@Dragrazor wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:

Does the functionality enabled by X1 Cloud DVR count against the XFINITY Internet data usage threshold?

Downloading and/or streaming DVR recordings, live TV or XFINITY On Demand content will not count against your Internet data usage threshold if you are connected to your in-home XFINITY network. However, if you chosse to stream or download DVR recordings outside of the home, this may count against data usage threshold.

So why is it that when I'm streaming my DVR recordings outside of the home and use my cell phone network does it count against in-home XFINITY network?

we were told here that in-house use of the TV app counts but a public release and my experience (since 1TB change) seems to say no it is not charged 'in home'. If you are using xfinitywifi or XFINITY wifi in or out of your home it probably does count. If you are at a hotel for example and using their wifi then the data is 'paid' by the hotel and no charge to you from comcast.

cell network will charge you as per their rules. T-mobile has many services that don't count toward useage (comcast appears not to be in that group). To be free with T-mobile the provider (comcast) agrees to honor the lower speed stream requests that would be free.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben

Thanks. I found something strangely odd. I have the Triple Play package with (TV, Internet & Phone). I recently added or connected an Apple "Airport Time Capsule" to my Xfinity modem via Ethernet for backup purposes. I noticed that the Time Capsule acts like an router and makes a WiFi network itself. So I've connected all my devices i.e. iPhone, iPad, Mac to the Time Capsule WiFi network.

What I realized was that the when I was watching my DVR recordings in-home via X1 TV app on my iPhone and iPad. My data usage was sky rocketing. It never did that before when I was just connected to the default WiFi network on the Xfinity modem itself.

I even tested last night while watching DVR recordings via X1 TV app on my iPad just connecting to the Xfinity WiFi network. My data usage didn't move one bit when I checked this morning.

So I'm realizing that the Time Capsule is raising my data usage while viewing DVR recordings via X1 TV app and not the X1 TV app itself. Is their a reason why the Time Capsule that's connected to the Xfinity modem itself would contribute to rising data usages? In a sense it's like a router but do all routers do this or am a doing something wrong?

Also, I'm not in a data cap area. But I'm just mentally trying to be prepared in case it hits.

Thanks.

EDIT: I found the answer to ALL my questions 🙂

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

A terabyte is nothing to anybody who has a steam account, watches a lot of streaming video, or has multiple computers running at the same time in their home.  The "limited pipeline" model is actually a false model based on lies told by service providers in order to squeeze more money out of their customers.  Once the new net neutrality laws kick in, I hope that Comcast does the right thing by their customers and follow the utility service model set forth by the FCC.  

Highlighted
Contributor

@bruistopher wrote:

@Dragrazor wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:

My understanding is that it will not count against you IF your watching on the X1 Platform TV app........but once you start to "stream" to a mobile phone or tablet......it does count.....

i don't think Comcast has a wsy of knowing that your streaming from their app, (on your phone or tablet........as apposed to YouTube per say.....

Highlighted
Expert

@Dragrazor wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:

@Dragrazor wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:

My understanding is that it will not count against you IF your watching on the X1 Platform TV app........but once you start to "stream" to a mobile phone or tablet......it does count.....

i don't think Comcast has a wsy of knowing that your streaming from their app, (on your phone or tablet........as apposed to YouTube per say.....

trucking is measured on your ISP provided connections (IP address) whether wired or wireless, customer owned or leased. The system will charge you for app use on the x1 devices like pandora, too.

The announcement of streaming on any device in your home specifically says no data use is charged (live TV, on-deman, DVR playback). But if you use (if you have it on your device) the xfinity wifi access point or the XFINITY access point it will be charged. Comcast says they do not charge for downloading assets too so I'm guessing that means free to you if downloaded in home on your own internet connection, and paid for by some other method if you are in a hotel, hospital, or at work (data flow is no charge from comcast for that).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

I'm a new customer stuck in a 2 year contract that I didn't understand to be data capped. The company I was with previously doesn't have a data cap and I stupidly assumed that comcast didn't either.

1. I was very clear with the comcast rep that there are 10 people in my house, 9 of us are heavy internet users. It's a big house and I have a big extended family living here. Never once was I told that I might want to watch out for the data cap.

2. My wife is going to kill me. I switched us from AT&T because I thought comcast was giving us a better deal.

3. This is the 21st century for crying out loud, people have smartphones, computers and subscription services like hulu and netflix (we have both), nevermind cloud services. In my house alone there are 3 screens that run hulu/netflix, 2xboxs, 6 iphones and 7 computers plus 7 terabytes of cloud storage that I'm beginning to suspect is being double dipped by the data cap. One terabyte is not a lot anymore

4. How do I get out of this mess? I've been with comcast more than 30 days, I just received the data cap warning this morning... in my web browser, which was creepy.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... trucking is measured on your ISP provided connections (IP address) ...

What does "trucking" mean? "Usage"? "Data"? Sorry, I was never good at word puzzles.

Highlighted
Expert

@boredoftheworld wrote:

I'm a new customer stuck in a 2 year contract that I didn't understand to be data capped. The company I was with previously doesn't have a data cap and I stupidly assumed that comcast didn't either.

1. I was very clear with the comcast rep that there are 10 people in my house, 9 of us are heavy internet users. It's a big house and I have a big extended family living here. Never once was I told that I might want to watch out for the data cap.

2. My wife is going to kill me. I switched us from AT&T because I thought comcast was giving us a better deal.

3. This is the 21st century for crying out loud, people have smartphones, computers and subscription services like hulu and netflix (we have both), nevermind cloud services. In my house alone there are 3 screens that run hulu/netflix, 2xboxs, 6 iphones and 7 computers plus 7 terabytes of cloud storage that I'm beginning to suspect is being double dipped by the data cap. One terabyte is not a lot anymore

4. How do I get out of this mess? I've been with comcast more than 30 days, I just received the data cap warning this morning... in my web browser, which was creepy.

contact billing and ask to have account terminated. ETF (early termination fees) have not been an issue at comcast in a while.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@boredoftheworld wrote:

You can't without either paying the early termination fees or taking the hit to your credit. I'd say the best option for you right now is probably doing what I did, pay the $35 extra per month for unlimited data. At some point, the early termination fees are negligibe and you can safely say goodbye to Comcast but right now they're pretty high since you're so new.

You won't be able to go back to AT&T because you terminated them. You'll have a cap when you go back. All new AT&T customers get the cap. If you had stayed with them you would have been grandfathered in.

I have a friend who uses AT&T and said I need to sign up with them but their deal isn't as good as it sounds when you're a new customer. I'm waiting for Google Fiber to hit this side of town. Then maybe I can stop paying Comcast's extortion fees.

Highlighted
New Poster

I thought the additional data plan was $50, not $35. If it's only $35 then my wife may not kill me as much after all, thanks.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@bruistopher wrote:

@Rustyben

Thanks. I found something strangely odd. I have the Triple Play package with (TV, Internet & Phone). I recently added or connected an Apple "Airport Time Capsule" to my Xfinity modem via Ethernet for backup purposes. I noticed that the Time Capsule acts like an router and makes a WiFi network itself. So I've connected all my devices i.e. iPhone, iPad, Mac to the Time Capsule WiFi network.

What I realized was that the when I was watching my DVR recordings in-home via X1 TV app on my iPhone and iPad. My data usage was sky rocketing. It never did that before when I was just connected to the default WiFi network on the Xfinity modem itself.

I even tested last night while watching DVR recordings via X1 TV app on my iPad just connecting to the Xfinity WiFi network. My data usage didn't move one bit when I checked this morning.

So I'm realizing that the Time Capsule is raising my data usage while viewing DVR recordings via X1 TV app and not the X1 TV app itself. Is their a reason why the Time Capsule that's connected to the Xfinity modem itself would contribute to rising data usages? In a sense it's like a router but do all routers do this or am a doing something wrong?

Also, I'm not in a data cap area. But I'm just mentally trying to be prepared in case it hits.

Thanks.

Because data flows both ways. Whether uploading or downloading, you're using data. As a consequence, when you're streaming a movie or show from Xfinity on your phone, you're still using data provided by Comcast. The movie is being downloaded via Comcast so, therefore, they can count the data usage against your account. The cell phone company also charges you because you're using their towers to pipe the data to your phone.

It's a double whammy I know. I download movies to my Kindle when I'm home to watch when I'm out. I don't want to deal with the double whammies. One is enough, isn't it?

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Removed for profanity / language filter bypass violation.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I wish our unlimited was 35, here in the Rockford area where its rolling out August 1st its $50. I just recieved the official letter stating I use on average 1.8TB. Which is completely false even compared to what they show I have used online on my account. So there is a ton of padding and lying going on with this sytsem. We have 3 tv's hooked up and two computers. My wife and I only stream video after work at 5pm until around 10, so maybe 5 hours a day. According to their "calculator" you can stream 700 hours of HD tv with our data cap. Thats almost a full month of 24 hours of streaming, yet we use it 5 hours a day and I'm over?!? I play some online games which doesnt utilize much data at all. I really hope the FCC cracks down on this hard. I just started shutting my modem completely off at night and will be tracking how much data is being used during those hours where NOTHING can be connected. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@boredoftheworld wrote:

I thought the additional data plan was $50, not $35. If it's only $35 then my wife may not kill me as much after all, thanks.

It might be, now. Sorry about that. When I signed up for the unlimited in May this year, it was $35. I didn't know they changed that since. I'd still recomment gong for the unlimited. If you had signed up for Comcast in May or any other month prior to June, you would have been capped at 300GB.

There are only 3 people here. Out of the 3 my grandson uses the most with YouTube though we do stream movies once in a while, too. I game but my gaming doesn't take a lot. Neither does grandson's. But streaming movies is outrageous and it's twice or three times as bad when you're streaming HD or 4K. Technology is evolving constantly at a rapid rate but most of the things we use to access that technology don't evolve fast enough to keep up with the demand.

Also, you might want to get a program called Glasswire to help monitor usage if you don't want to get the unlimited upgrade. 

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Post removed for quoting another poster's post containing a profanity violation.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

boredoftheworld wrote: I thought the additional data plan was $50, ...

It was $30 or $35, but as of June 1 it jumped to $50 unless you were already signed up with the Unlimited option. See http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-are-the-different-plans-launch...

Highlighted
Contributor

@stephgc wrote:

@boredoftheworld wrote:

You can't without either paying the early termination fees or taking the hit to your credit. I'd say the best option for you right now is probably doing what I did, pay the $35 extra per month for unlimited data. At some point, the early termination fees are negligibe and you can safely say goodbye to Comcast but right now they're pretty high since you're so new.

You won't be able to go back to AT&T because you terminated them. You'll have a cap when you go back. All new AT&T customers get the cap. If you had stayed with them you would have been grandfathered in.

I have a friend who uses AT&T and said I need to sign up with them but their deal isn't as good as it sounds when you're a new customer. I'm waiting for Google Fiber to hit this side of town. Then maybe I can stop paying Comcast's extortion fees.

FYI I posted a nice respose to this n I even included a link, but Comcast censor dept. deleted it........n you see all those "moved" posts........ask your self where'd they go.......n why?

by the was Comcast censors........am retired n have all day to be on here.......so if you keep deleting.......ill keep posting 

Highlighted
Expert

It's not "censoring". You violated the forum guidelines. Further violations will be removed.

The reasons for removal were posted...

Highlighted
Expert

@BruceW wrote:

Rustyben wrote: ... trucking is measured on your ISP provided connections (IP address) ...

What does "trucking" mean? "Usage"? "Data"? Sorry, I was never good at word puzzles.

I didn't notice that question was to me BruceW. trucking is who pays the fee for carrying the data (hotel wifi data is paid by the hotel for example, sam's club wifi is paid by Sams, etc.

useage is consumed data bytes used by your internet connected devices. Data is the finite information characters transmitted over teh internet or stored on devices, usually measured in size of the data as in KB (kilobyte) or MB (megabyte).

Highlighted
Expert

@stephgc wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:

@Rustyben

Thanks.

Because data flows both ways. Whether uploading or downloading, you're using data. As a consequence, when you're streaming a movie or show from Xfinity on your phone, you're still using data provided by Comcast. The movie is being downloaded via Comcast so, therefore, they can count the data usage against your account. The cell phone company also charges you because you're using their towers to pipe the data to your phone.

It's a double whammy I know. I download movies to my Kindle when I'm home to watch when I'm out. I don't want to deal with the double whammies. One is enough, isn't it?

comcast only charges for what it delivers on its own network at the 'termination' point (like your home). If you use your cellphone to watch TVgo xfinity app, comcast does not count that data toward our cap if you are on your local coffe shop's wifi. Any use while logged in to an SSID of xfinitywifi or XFINITY will be charged to your data bucket.

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@stephgc wrote:

@bruistopher wrote:

@Rustyben

Thanks.

comcast only charges for what it delivers on its own network at the 'termination' point (like your home). If you use your cellphone to watch TVgo xfinity app, comcast does not count that data toward our cap if you are on your local coffe shop's wifi. Any use while logged in to an SSID of xfinitywifi or XFINITY will be charged to your data bucket.

If you look up thread, you'll see where people have talked about the data usage counting both from the cell phone and Xfinity. 

Highlighted
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:
Any use while logged in to an SSID of xfinitywifi or XFINITY will be charged to your data bucket.

I have reason to suspect this is not true.  I need to wait for the next cycle to try and get any clear evidence though.

At one point this month we were having some issues with our service, but a near by xfinity wifi point seemed to be fine.  As such I connected to it for about a full day and while my local usage meter went up almost 25gig the online comcast meter didn't move at all.

When the usage resets next month I plan to do the same thing but for several days and see what happens then.

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
New Poster

Well this is just outrageous. $50 for unlimited data in this day and age? I checked with AT&T, if I go back they'll throw in their unlimited data (which is new apparently) for free (it's normally $30) for 2 years. I called customer "service" (which was evidentally in India) and spent 10 minutes trying to understand the person I was speaking to, finally I asked for a supervisor. He wasn't even interested in discussing this insanity. "That's the price of the unlimited data plan." I then said it would be cheaper for me to go back to AT&T and he repeated what he said earlier. I asked if there was any flexibility since I was a new customer and didn't know about this nonsense when I signed up and he repeated himself AGAIN! I said "well you're telling me it will be cheaper for me to go back to AT&T and he said "That's the price of the unlimited data plan" yet again... That's apparently all they teach them to say in English.

So... if I go through all the crud needed to throw out Comcast and bring AT&T back my wife will kill me, if I subscribe to this unlimited data plan she'll kill me when she finds out about it. Bottom line, I'm a dead man, thanks Comcast.

I'm also an loon, because we never once had a connection issue with AT&T (we've already had two outages with Comcast in the last 45 days), their customer service (which I rarely had to resort to) was able to speak intelligible English and we're only saving $25 a month since we switched to Comcast... if I get the unlimited data we'll be paying $25 more. HOORAY!

I'm taking my $200 a month and going back where I'm appreciated as a customer... unless my wife finds out lol.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@boredoftheworld wrote:

Well this is just outrageous. $50 for unlimited data in this day and age? I checked with AT&T, if I go back they'll throw in their unlimited data (which is new apparently) for free (it's normally $30) for 2 years. I called customer "service" (which was evidentally in India) and spent 10 minutes trying to understand the person I was speaking to, finally I asked for a supervisor. He wasn't even interested in discussing this insanity. "That's the price of the unlimited data plan." I then said it would be cheaper for me to go back to AT&T and he repeated what he said earlier. I asked if there was any flexibility since I was a new customer and didn't know about this nonsense when I signed up and he repeated himself AGAIN! I said "well you're telling me it will be cheaper for me to go back to AT&T and he said "That's the price of the unlimited data plan" yet again... That's apparently all they teach them to say in English.

So... if I go through all the crud needed to throw out Comcast and bring AT&T back my wife will kill me, if I subscribe to this unlimited data plan she'll kill me when she finds out about it. Bottom line, I'm a dead man, thanks Comcast.

I'm also an loon, because we never once had a connection issue with AT&T (we've already had two outages with Comcast in the last 45 days), their customer service (which I rarely had to resort to) was able to speak intelligible English and we're only saving $25 a month since we switched to Comcast... if I get the unlimited data we'll be paying $25 more. HOORAY!

I'm taking my $200 a month and going back where I'm appreciated as a customer... unless my wife finds out lol.

I can't go to AT&T but I believe Google Fiber doesn't have data caps. It here in the city but not in my area of it, yet.

We didn't have data caps when I first signed on with Comcast. Heck, they weren't even called Comcast, yet, at that point. I hear you about phoning customer service but even if you get someone you understand on the phone, you're not going to get good service. The service down happens a lot until tech has to come to your home to fix it. Likely have the modem misconfigured or the wrong modem or something else equally technical. I've heard just about everything in the past 16 years.

I doubt Comcast will have an offer I can live with after my contract is up. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm now officially back on the AT&T train, installation is next Thursday. It's going to cost me $100 less a month too (what with the unlimited data cost at Comcast). We won't have the fancy remote that we can talk to, and the internet speed is only 75mbps and they're gonna plant a dish in the backyard, but for $1200 a year I can live with that. I wish Comcast would have worked to keep me as a customer, I really liked the remote and the speed of the internet. I did NOT like the customer service (that was clearly outsourced to India) or the data cap.

AND my wife decided not to kill me after all, which is nice.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@boredoftheworld wrote:

I'm now officially back on the AT&T train, installation is next Thursday. It's going to cost me $100 less a month too (what with the unlimited data cost at Comcast). We won't have the fancy remote that we can talk to, and the internet speed is only 75mbps and they're gonna plant a dish in the backyard, but for $1200 a year I can live with that. I wish Comcast would have worked to keep me as a customer, I really liked the remote and the speed of the internet. I did NOT like the customer service (that was clearly outsourced to India) or the data cap.

AND my wife decided not to kill me after all, which is nice.

Glad the wife didn't kill you. Comcast can raise its speeds all they want but that doesn't mean everybody will be able to use that high speed anyway. You're only going to get the speeds that your equipment can handle. Some of us will, if we can make/break/rebuild our own computers but that's not everybody's idea of a good time, lol. I have yet to see a lan card with anything over 100mbps without having to buy it and install it yourself. Most wireless cards are even slower than that. So, the majority of the people will never achieve the speeds that Comcast offers. Your phones and tablets probably utilize the 2.4 ghz more than the 5.2 ghz.  You'll probably be fine with 75mbps.

Highlighted
New Poster

Well with 9 internet users in the house we smacked up against the 75mbps barrier regularly, so it's back to children shouting at each other for "using up all the internets". But I suppose I can live with it. Most of our phones/laptops/tablets/xbox/etc. use 5.2ghz but I have a $300 router from netgear that handles all that well. Thankfully my experience with Comcast was short and easily ended, for those of you stuck in monopoly regions I'm really sorry... that may explain why their customer service is unacceptable, they've got most of you by the um, er, throat.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@boredoftheworld wrote:

Well with 9 internet users in the house we smacked up against the 75mbps barrier regularly, so it's back to children shouting at each other for "using up all the internets". But I suppose I can live with it. Most of our phones/laptops/tablets/xbox/etc. use 5.2ghz but I have a $300 router from netgear that handles all that well. Thankfully my experience with Comcast was short and easily ended, for those of you stuck in monopoly regions I'm really sorry... that may explain why their customer service is unacceptable, they've got most of you by the um, er, throat.

That's gotta hurt. I need mine most for working from home so if there was a problem, everybody else would just have to suffer. But that's why I pay the extortion fee; so that problems like that don't happen anymore.

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I am switching back to AT&T and DirecTV because of Comcast's decision to implement this data usage nonsense. In Georgia Comcast is offering Free Unlimited data with TV/Internet bundles in markets where it competes with Google Fiber. I am 10 miles from the nearest Google Fiber market so I am stuck paying Comcast the $50 hostage fee for unlimited data. AT&T just sent me an offer for DirecTv Ultimate Package w/ 75Mbps Internet w/ Free Unlimited Data for $100 dollars less than my current Comcast Preferred TV/Blast Internet package. I really started to like Comcast, but as history has shown Comcast will always find a way to abuse and isolate their customers. AT&T is not much better, but they are the lesser of two evils when compared to Comcast.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

This is exactly what I predicted if you look back at my post. Families with multiple devices, children etc will not stand for another additional fee. I looked at my data usage history, over the past 2 or 3 months and it shot up significantly. Something is not correct. I would advise everyone to turn off their hotspot on their gateway/router. The hotspot would count towards data usage and you aren't the one using the hotspot, random people are. How is Comcast going to know if you are streaming a tv show or movie on your ipad from its app vs. Netflix? Certain pieces of Comcast equipment use more data than others. Does one get charged for that data and if so, how does Comcast differentiate the different types of data. The bottom line is that they can't. Any device that uses data will count towards your total data usage. If you are having problem with a service and call up tech support, they may need to do some tests. That too will use data. I would love to see a breakdown according to actual device and data usage from Comcast. If they plan to put a cap only on certain things, I think they owe us that much. Until they are able to provide us that information, they need to go back to the drawing board.
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

... What does "trucking" mean? ...

... trucking is who pays the fee for carrying the data ..

Cite?

Highlighted
Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

Cite?

bruce, you mean define the word 'trucking' (carriage)?

Highlighted
Expert

@sperling3920 wrote:
This is exactly what I predicted if you look back at my post. Families with multiple devices, children etc will not stand for another additional fee. I looked at my data usage history, over the past 2 or 3 months and it shot up significantly. Something is not correct. I would advise everyone to turn off their hotspot on their gateway/router. The hotspot would count towards data usage and you aren't the one using the hotspot, random people are. How is Comcast going to know if you are streaming a tv show or movie on your ipad from its app vs. Netflix? Certain pieces of Comcast equipment use more data than others. Does one get charged for that data and if so, how does Comcast differentiate the different types of data. The bottom line is that they can't. Any device that uses data will count towards your total data usage. If you are having problem with a service and call up tech support, they may need to do some tests. That too will use data. I would love to see a breakdown according to actual device and data usage from Comcast. If they plan to put a cap only on certain things, I think they owe us that much. Until they are able to provide us that information, they need to go back to the drawing board.

your in-home (connected to your home wifi (not xfinity or xfinitywif) is zero-rated meaning useage is not counted at all for streaming, dvr playback, nor on-demand. zero-rated means does not count toward your bucket of monthly data bytes useage.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

Cite?

bruce, you mean define the word 'trucking' (carriage)?

"Cite?", as I have used it here, means "please cite an authoritative source for your claim that 'trucking' = 'who pays the fee for carrying the data' ". I can't find that usage after what seems to me a reasonable amount of searching ( https://www.google.com/search?q=trucking+data+fees and variations). Nearly all the hits involve, well, trucks.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... your in-home (connected to your home wifi (not xfinity or xfinitywif) is zero-rated ...

And yet, https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan says:

All data usage delivered over your home XFINITY Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.

But, to further confuse the issue, the page goes on to say:

... XFINITY TV and XFINITY Voice services that are not delivered over the Internet and are not received by you using your XFINITY Internet service do not count.
Highlighted
New Poster

So any traffic via the Comcast Router including Video adds and commercials infront of a news video from your home page that I do not want and slow the WiFi will be charged to me. If so I would be believe it is illegal.

Highlighted
Expert

@BruceW wrote:

Rustyben wrote: ... your in-home (connected to your home wifi (not xfinity or xfinitywif) is zero-rated ...

And yet, https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan says:

All data usage delivered over your home XFINITY Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.

But, to further confuse the issue, the page goes on to say:

... XFINITY TV and XFINITY Voice services that are not delivered over the Internet and are not received by you using your XFINITY Internet service do not count.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/stream-faqs

2nd to last paragraph. The paragraph explains that 'in house' (comcast plant) supplied data is not counted (term now is zero-rated) as this does not go through the internet to get to any device in your home. 

if you are at a hotel, comcast does not charge you to deliver to the hotel's wifi plant (for example) - note the hotel pays for your data traffic.

Highlighted
Expert

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

yet another link no charge for 'internal' data from comcast.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/stream-faqs ...

That FAQ appears to be specific to a their "Stream TV" product. It's by no means clear that those provisions also apply to customers with conventional TV and Internet service.