Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Frequent Visitor

Re: Why Is There A Data Cap?

@Chaset99 wrote:

This is a home internet service, not a mobile internet service. Why is there a data cap? It's been a few years since I've used Comcast and come to find out 3 months in that there is a 1 terabyte data cap? There was nothing obvious pointing the data cap when I signed up for the service, this is the first that I've heard of it. After looking into it, they seem to be spinning this data cap as a good service to their customers when it's literally adding a cap for no reason just to charge those people that go over the cap extra. You literally have to pay $50 more now for the same exact service they had before. They're basically like, "Good news! We've introduced a 1 terabyte data cap! 1 terabyte is a lot of data and *nobody uses that much! Power users, you're welcome for giving us an extra $50 a month without reason!

*nobody is used as a pronoun in this advertisement due to the fact that plenty of people use more than 1 terabyte of data a month."

Oddly enough after my rant last night, I unplugged my X1 box and only used a total of 3GB overnight to this point in time. Suspicious only beginst to describe my feelings.

Expert

@Gobuxfla wrote:

@Chaset99 wrote:

This is a home internet service, not a mobile internet service. Why is there a data cap? It's been a few years since I've used Comcast and come to find out 3 months in that there is a 1 terabyte data cap? There was nothing obvious pointing the data cap when I signed up for the service, this is the first that I've heard of it. After looking into it, they seem to be spinning this data cap as a good service to their customers when it's literally adding a cap for no reason just to charge those people that go over the cap extra. You literally have to pay $50 more now for the same exact service they had before. They're basically like, "Good news! We've introduced a 1 terabyte data cap! 1 terabyte is a lot of data and *nobody uses that much! Power users, you're welcome for giving us an extra $50 a month without reason!

*nobody is used as a pronoun in this advertisement due to the fact that plenty of people use more than 1 terabyte of data a month."

Oddly enough after my rant last night, I unplugged my X1 box and only used a total of 3GB overnight to this point in time. Suspicious only beginst to describe my feelings.

are you looking at the data counted by using the my account app, internet tab?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gobuxfla wrote:

@Chaset99 wrote:

Yes, because that is what Xfinity/Comcast said they are billing/warning us off of.

Expert

@Gobuxfla wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gobuxfla wrote:

@Chaset99 wrote:

Yes, because that is what Xfinity/Comcast said they are billing/warning us off of.

check the serial numbers of all the equipment (TV set top boxes) undr the TV tab of your set top box. do you have the same equipment shown?  are you in an apartment/condo with common building wiring of cable?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gobuxfla wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Gobuxfla wrote:

@Chaset99 wrote:

check the serial numbers of all the equipment (TV set top boxes) undr the TV tab of your set top box. do you have the same equipment shown?  are you in an apartment/condo with common building wiring of cable?

Yes the equipment and addresses are correct. No, it is not common wiring.

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

We used Frontiers comparable plan for years and never went over our data. We didn’t even realize there was a data limit until we switched to Comcast late last year. We have downsized our family, grown children moved out, nobody playing video games, etc.. and we continue to go over our “data limit” almost every month. Nobody mentioned an internet/TV data limit when we spoke with our salesman and signed up, we would not have changed services. We cannot wait until our contract with Comcast Xfinity is up. Not sure how we can be going over 1 Terabyte each month now. We will definitely be switching carrriers.

Expert

the data equipment in your home that can use 'data' that is countable:

Gateway/modems (assigned to your account)

X1 equipment that are assigned to your account.

that's it. no other equipment connects to the CMTS (cable modem Termination System (aka data supervisor). The CMTS counts data that is forwarded (sent/received) to the external internet (youtube for example) and does not count data that is routed to Comcast's own managed network/servers.  something, somewhere is using data. there have been many threads where a backup like backblaze, icloud, etc were found to be backing up entire systems repeatedly using up huge amounts of gigabytes.  Others have had gateways still assigned to their account  records but used by someone else. others in a close environment (apartments/condos) get their wifi 'taken' by someone using any number of social engineering (asking to use your iphone, entering their info in the address book then 'sharing' your wifi password information to other devices (approving the information). In other cases in a condo/apartment a simple POE filter was not installed and a neighbors X1 device connected to your DVR or XG2 and used data. There may need to be detective work used in figuring out the immediate situation, and that is why all the questions are asked to try to narrow down the problem. 

New Poster

overgoing data

Hi

We got a mail saying we have gone over 1TB of data this month. I have checked everything and there is no way we could have used this much data. I looked at XFi and some devices show up some does not.  How can I trust the usage if this is not correct?

Official Employee

Re: overgoing data

Hi @VerisY

Welcome to the Xfinity Forums. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We can investigate this. If you feel your data usage is invalid, please contact our CSA (Customer Security Assurance) department at 1-877-807-6581. They will be able to investigate this further and provide more details. I hope this helps. Please let us know if there's anything more we can do for you in the future. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Data Usage - I don't believe I'm going over in my data.. want more info

I live in alone in a small apartment and I want waaaaaayyyyy more detailed information about what data / device(s) are in use apparently all day long, every day - causing me to go over the data limit and this current month will be the second 'grace' period month where I get the overage fee waived - I will hulk out if this ever happens and I'm expected to pay one dollar. 

There's ABSOLUTELY no way that one person in a small JUNIOR ONE BEDROOM - not even a standard one bedroom - is using that much data. The estimator and the usage "tool" are pretty much worthless. I guess it's better than nothing but I want detailed, granular information. That should be my right. Additionally, I have spoken to customer service (the first time this happened bc I was like...feeling similarly to how I'm feeling right now...) but he told me that my apple tv is constantly apparently doing stuff all day, every day. I have now adopted the daily habit of de-activating my apple tv every. single. day. when I leave for work as a sort of safety net but now I'm just very irritated and would like some ACTUAL answers. Both from xfinity and apple. 

<Edited>

Expert

Re: Data Usage - I don't believe I'm going over in my data.. want more info

@rddaftpunk wrote:

I live in alone in a small apartment and I want waaaaaayyyyy more detailed information about what data / device(s) are in use apparently all day long, every day - causing me to go over the data limit and this current month will be the second 'grace' period month where I get the overage fee waived - I will hulk out if this ever happens and I'm expected to pay one dollar. 

There's ABSOLUTELY no way that one person in a small JUNIOR ONE BEDROOM - not even a standard one bedroom - is using that much data. The estimator and the usage "tool" are pretty much worthless. I guess it's better than nothing but I want detailed, granular information. That should be my right. Additionally, I have spoken to customer service (the first time this happened bc I was like...feeling similarly to how I'm feeling right now...) but he told me that my apple tv is constantly apparently doing stuff all day, every day. I have now adopted the daily habit of de-activating my apple tv every. single. day. when I leave for work as a sort of safety net but now I'm just very irritated and would like some ACTUAL answers. Both from xfinity and apple. 

<Edited>

do you have a backup service similar to backblaze? there have been numerous posts where the issue turned out to be the backup program/provider having to do a new complete backup repeatedly.

New Poster

Re: Data usage

Data usage has jumped from 180gb a month to over the tb limit. Feel like I am being forced to pay 50.00 more unlimited pkg. No way I am using over a tb of data a month.
Expert

@dsmith438 wrote:
Data usage has jumped from 180gb a month to over the tb limit. Feel like I am being forced to pay 50.00 more unlimited pkg. No way I am using over a tb of data a month.

do you have a backup service similar to backblaze? there have been numerous posts where the issue turned out to be the backup program/provider having to do a new complete backup repeatedly.

Regular Visitor

Hello my data usage has been stuck for at least the last 3 days. In the my account app and thru the data usage webpage my internet usage is stuck at 623gb, i downloaded a 30gb game on friday and 20gb yesterday and neither is reflecting on my data usage. I have never gone over the 1tb cap because i was easily able to track my usage but i can't this month. Can this be looked into please thank you.

Expert

@Alexa916 wrote:

Hello my data usage has been stuck for at least the last 3 days. In the my account app and thru the data usage webpage my internet usage is stuck at 623gb, i downloaded a 30gb game on friday and 20gb yesterday and neither is reflecting on my data usage. I have never gone over the 1tb cap because i was easily able to track my usage but i can't this month. Can this be looked into please thank you.

go to this web page https://customer.xfinity.com/#/services/internet#usage and after logging in does it show how much you have left?

Regular Visitor

yes it does but please reread my post because thats not the problem, the problem is that it's not updating on that page or on the my account app. It's been like that since I noticed it 3 days ago. So it could have been possibly longer than that. Xfinity did do some maintenance about a week ago in my neighborhood so maybe that affected it but i can't keep under my cap without it updating.

Official Employee

Alexa916, appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your usage meter concerns. 

If you have questions related to the Data Usage Meter, please call us at 1-877-807-6581 and a service representative from the Customer Security Assurance Department will be able to help you.

The hours of our Customer Security Assurance Department are 6:00 AM to 2:00 AM ET, seven days a week.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Does data reset at 00:00 UTC or midnight my time?

Customer service tells me midnight my time, but I don't trust that answer because they fed me the wrong information before. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Does data reset at 00:00 UTC or midnight my time?

@sacuc123 wrote: Customer service tells me midnight my time ...

That's incorrect. Data usage (and the Usage Meter) resets on the last day of each month at 24:00 UTC. That's 7PM Eastern, 6PM Central, 5PM Mountain, and 4PM Pacific Standard time, and 8PM Eastern, 7PM Central, 6PM Mountain, and 5PM Pacific Daylight Saving time.

Expert

@BruceW wrote:

@sacuc123 wrote: Customer service tells me midnight my time ...

That's incorrect. Data usage (and the Usage Meter) resets on the last day of each month at 24:00 UTC. That's 7PM Eastern, 6PM Central, 5PM Mountain, and 4PM Pacific Standard time, and 8PM Eastern, 7PM Central, 6PM Mountain, and 5PM Pacific Daylight Saving time.

mine still shows 384gb at 9:15 central time.

Gold Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@BruceW wrote: ... Data usage (and the Usage Meter) resets ...

The Accuracy reports listed on https://www.netforecast.com/comcast-reports/ describe the reset timing, but I know of no source that tells us how long it takes after the reset for the updated information to be available to customers. Here in EDT land at 10:55PM, my meter does not yet show a reset either.

Gold Problem Solver

@BruceW wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@BruceW wrote: ... Data usage (and the Usage Meter) resets ...

... in EDT land at 10:55PM, my meter does not yet show a reset either.

But at 3AM EDT, the My Account / Devices page now shows "0GB used this month (August 01 - August 31)", and the Android My Account app shows "Your total data usage is / Less than 1GB / for Aug 1 - Aug 31".

ETA: Between approximately 1am and 3am EDT, the Android My Account app changed from "Your total data usage is ..." to "We can't access your usage information right now."

Contributor

Thousands of posts, not a single issue has been addressed by Comcast nor will it be. Meanwhile the ripoff of consumers, esp the less tech savvy ones, continues.

This is going to fall on deaf users, actually they will probably laughh at this, but at the bare minimum Comcast should -

- have no data caps or at least have realistic ones, 1TB is a joke these days

- give us accurate tools that don't lie about total usage and give detailed stats - this is not hard to do, and you better believe they have this data. A usage meter that inflates numbers, won't give details, and doesn't count 'last 24hrs', is a slap in the face.

- charge realistic prices for data. bandwidth is essentially free. Want some proof - any data you consume while using Xfinity services doesn't count towards usage

- bring xFi advantage to every market

The simple fact is anywhere they have competiton, Comcast is forced to offer much better service and pricing otherwise no one would choose them.

Expert

@Adent wrote:

Thousands of posts, not a single issue has been addressed by Comcast nor will it be. Meanwhile the ripoff of consumers, esp the less tech savvy ones, continues.

This is going to fall on deaf users, actually they will probably laughh at this, but at the bare minimum Comcast should -

- have no data caps or at least have realistic ones, 1TB is a joke these days

- give us accurate tools that don't lie about total usage and give detailed stats - this is not hard to do, and you better believe they have this data. A usage meter that inflates numbers, won't give details, and doesn't count 'last 24hrs', is a slap in the face.

- charge realistic prices for data. bandwidth is essentially free. Want some proof - any data you consume while using Xfinity services doesn't count towards usage

- bring xFi advantage to every market

The simple fact is anywhere they have competiton, Comcast is forced to offer much better service and pricing otherwise no one would choose them.

CAP was 300 GB so 1000 is a super bump in the number. to test put 5 phones/roku/tablets/PCs on the stream app/website all streaming a lived numbered (linear) channel and let it run overnight. check your measured usage on the page (not the router as it will see all the traffic). you will see what I saw, nothing counted. easy test for first day.

New Poster

I do not. 

It's ok -- I'm just going to have to learn how to access and view this stuff myself and one day -- probably a year or so....? because i do have a job and other responsibilities in life so becoming a network admin and learning how to analyze my router and traffic and figure out all this tech stuff takes me longer than I'd like. I don't expect xfinity/comcast to do anything helpful. I'm not that stupid. Consumer protections are a joke - if they even exist.

Thanks for nothing!

New Poster

How can I programmatically Get my monthly Usage?

I want to write a small program that checks my comcast monthly usage and warns me if I'm on track to go over my bandwidth cap. How can I access this information through a REST service or some other way?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: How can I programmatically Get my monthly Usage?

@pkellner wrote: ... can I access this information through a REST service or some other way?

I know of no simple way to do this. Do the notifications described by https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-will-i-be-alerted-data-usage help? I don't see them in My Account, but my state ( PA ) is not under the 1 TB data plan.

Regular Visitor

Data Overage that wasn't caused by me.

Blizzard entertainment had two issues that caused game data to be downloaded every time I logged in. I didn't use the data, Blizzard's downloader did. I shouldn't be penalized for something over which I had zero control. I would greatly appreciate it if you wouldn't charge me for things I had no control over. You can see in my last 30+ years of history that I never had an overage before the last two months.

Screenshot of Blizzard admitting it was their issue.blizzarddownloaderoverage2.png

New Poster

Data Usage accuracy

So I am worried about the accuracy of this Comcast Data usage.  My setup is I have a SB cable modem, and an ASUS Router. So all internet traffic goes through the router (wifi and ethernet), and good thing with this router is that it has a network traffice monitoring system. I started monitoring my data usage because, as you can see from the attached screenshot, for the month of  May, I almost hit the cap, June is OK since we were out of the country mostly, although, its still weird that it shows I used 400+GB when we were out of town from June 10 to June30, and then on July I finally did exceed the cap. And now, for this half month of August, it shows I am already at 421 GB,  but on my router, it shows that I am only at 227 GB usage (upload/download). That is a huge gap!! I understand that sometimes, if I watch some shows on cable, it uses the internet and it counts against my cap, but I dont think I used 200+ GB for that.

Can someone from Comcast explain this? 

Edit: For some reason, I cannot upload the screenshot in here. Here is the link to it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sz2fCKywXwpipj1G7

Expert

Re: Data Usage accuracy

@huzzl3r wrote:

So I am worried about the accuracy of this Comcast Data usage.  My setup is I have a SB cable modem, and an ASUS Router. So all internet traffic goes through the router (wifi and ethernet), and good thing with this router is that it has a network traffice monitoring system. I started monitoring my data usage because, as you can see from the attached screenshot, for the month of  May, I almost hit the cap, June is OK since we were out of the country mostly, although, its still weird that it shows I used 400+GB when we were out of town from June 10 to June30, and then on July I finally did exceed the cap. And now, for this half month of August, it shows I am already at 421 GB,  but on my router, it shows that I am only at 227 GB usage (upload/download). That is a huge gap!! I understand that sometimes, if I watch some shows on cable, it uses the internet and it counts against my cap, but I dont think I used 200+ GB for that.

Edit: For some reason, I cannot upload the screenshot in here. Here is the link to it:

your x1 set top boxes can use internet via any hub (set top box) and that data does not go through your SB gateway to be counted. (youtube, netfilx app, etc)

New Poster

Re: Data Usage accuracy

@Rustyben wrote:

@huzzl3r wrote:

your x1 set top boxes can use internet via any hub (set top box) and that data does not go through your SB gateway to be counted. (youtube, netfilx app, etc)

As I mentioned:

"I understand that sometimes, if I watch some shows on cable, it uses the internet and it counts against my cap, but I dont think I used 200+ GB for that."

Frequent Visitor

Re: Exceeding Limited Data

The last 3 months, I have been exceeding my data limit by quite a bit.  This has never happened in the many years I have been using Comast (Xfinity). It was always very low.  How can I control this?  (I have spoken with Comcast techs, but no answers.)  Thank you. 

Silver Problem Solver

@orchard13 wrote:

The last 3 months, I have been exceeding my data limit by quite a bit.  This has never happened in the many years I have been using Comast (Xfinity). It was always very low.  How can I control this?  (I have spoken with Comcast techs, but no answers.)  Thank you. 

There are a few possible causes; 1-have you recently signed up for a remote site backup 2-have you spent a lot of time on Internet apps such as Netflix, YouTube, etc?

Any chance you have a family member (son,etc) who spends a lot of time playing games online, etc?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

RobertWY,
Thanks for your response. I don’t use Netflix. I haven’t watched any movies. I am the only one using a computer. I do have an iPhone and two TV’s with boxes for recording.
Frequent Visitor

RobertWY,
One more thing. I have used 90% of my 1024 GB already this month and went way over the last three months. Prior too that time I was using 200 and 300 GB per month. I am not doing anything different now. Makes no sense. Thanks again for your speedy response!!
Expert

@orchard13 wrote:
RobertWY,
One more thing. I have used 90% of my 1024 GB already this month and went way over the last three months. Prior too that time I was using 200 and 300 GB per month. I am not doing anything different now. Makes no sense. Thanks again for your speedy response!!

do you have a 3rd party computer files backup service like Backblaze?

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben,

Thanks a lot for your response.  No, I do not have a back-up plan.

orchard13

Expert

@orchard13 wrote:

Rustyben,

Thanks a lot for your response.  No, I do not have a back-up plan.

orchard13

you might want to change your wifi password to see if your use falls. is there anyone useing the 'internet' apps on your X1 set top boxes (like netflix)?

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben,

Yesterday I received a Comcast email saying I am now at 100% data usage.  So frustrating.  I did change my wifi password about two weeks ago.  Should I change it again?  There is no one using the internet on the set top boxes.

Thanks very much  for your help!

orchard13

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Data Usage

I have been dealing with this same issue for over a year.  After, changing passwords, turning off all devices at night, replacing our modem/router twice, had several service calls for a tech to come out to check our lines nothing had changed.  We then went back to the standard cable box since this issue started after we went to the x1 box. Amazingly  our data usage dropped down by 70%..

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Data Usage

Iczy22,

Thanks for the answer.  Glad your usage is better now.  I've had X1 for quite a while, so this change in usage didn't start with it.  Good suggestion, though. I love my computer, but am about ready to quit using it! Not really, just wish I could figure out this problem.

orchard13

New Poster

Specific Data Usage

Hello, 

I would like to know how I see my specific data usage. I have had internet service for the past three years with Xfinity and never went over. I decided to up my speed by one level and now I have gone over the past two months without doing anything different in my daily routine. Something does not seem right. Any tips or ideas would help.

Expert

@orchard13 wrote:

Rustyben,

Yesterday I received a Comcast email saying I am now at 100% data usage.  So frustrating.  I did change my wifi password about two weeks ago.  Should I change it again?  There is no one using the internet on the set top boxes.

Thanks very much  for your help!

orchard13

did you run the myAccount app on a smart device, TV tab and internet tab and check the number of devices (like 2 gateways?) to see if there is some old equipment still on your account but in use by someone else?

New Poster

We started experiencing excess data usuage after enabling xfinity hotspots in June. We began being charged for overage. After reading other complaints I'm convinced that Comcast is double dipping. When hotspots are enable, other people can use your data because you become a hotspot as well. 

I have now disable hotspots and we are back to what we were originally using for data. 

No wonder Comcast encourages using hotspots. It's extra money for them!!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Going over my network data when nothings changed

Just in the last couple months Im using my network data and Now just this month I'm using my network data when I pay by the gig I've gone over my gig a couple times due to being in the hospital. I'm always home so I use by the gig and i use wifi and now I'm using my network data and I cant figure out how this is possible I haven't used my tv or my phone any differently but now I'm gonna get charged for going over. Can anyone help me please
New Poster

Get Rid of Data Caps

Im a content creators for youtube on a limited income & these data caps are so stupid its so frustrating i cant stream as much as i want to on my channel cuz im afraid of my data allowence being used up so fast an its stupid xfinity does this they need to remove it. Theres no need for data caps i dont know why i pay so much money just to not be able to enjoy it fully cuz my data allowence would be used up. Having broadband Internet is suppose to be great cuz you get rid of data caps that cell providers use an you can use as much as you want. i hate when i talk to xfinity about it an they try to pressure me into getting on the unlimited plan with would make my bill over $180 its a joke. I think we should be able to use as much as we want cuz thats what having a internet ISP provider is for. I cant do high quality 1080p60 gaming streams like call of duty, division 2, etc cuz my data would be used up even 720p60 streams will eat it up.

Im already on a limited income but, these data caps just make my youtube life harder. becuase i have to limit my game streams & content uploads. Even having upto 40 is not enough sense i get granyness & pixelation i know my gaming pc is strong enough for 1080p60 streams so its prob the lack of upload i get with my package. I have everything landlined the only person thats on my network is myself. My mom has her own network from xfinity. I have my own cuz i need the bandwidth for the stuff i do & cant have everyone eating up my bandwidth when im streaming gameplay. So it cant be my network or not being landlined. all my ethernet cables are ether Cat6e or the newest one.

An also xfinity change your packages were it offers more upload speeds. its dumb i pay so much for download an get garbage upload. 40 is garbage for 1 Gigabit should be getting as least 100 MBPS Upload. or start offering internet packages for content creators that make content for Twitch, YouTube, Mixer, Etc.

Expert

Re: Get Rid of Data Caps

bigger packages (more and unlimited data) cost more just like gasoline and electricity and groceries and eating out. the add on of unlimited sounds like it would certainly remove anxiety for your activities and maybe monetization would rise as you upload more videos to cover or more than cover that unlimited service. 

New Poster

Data Usage

How do I manage my data usage? 

Expert

Re: Data Usage

@pjduffey wrote:

How do I manage my data usage? 

i use the xfinity myAccount app and check usage every day or two. (select internet tab)

Regular Visitor

Data Usage Rollover

Apparently using an acronym that uses the letters Bravo Sierra gets your message flagged for language...

Anyway, Xfinity really needs to adjust the way they are enforcing this data usage policy. If you are going to set a usage allotment, you need to roll my unused alloment for each month. Nine to ten months out of the year I generally run under the 1TB usage, sometimes well under. However, there are times that my household runs over that allotment and I do not believe it is appropriate to be charged for those instances if my average is well under. For example, during summer break when my kids are out of school or when I implement a new backup of my home data, my usage will go up. With that said, if you go back and look at my average usage, it will still be well under the sum of my alloted data usage. Maybe Xfinity needs to start crediting me for each month I go under the data to compensate me for the months that I do. Maybe I will come out ahead in that deal...

I'm not serious about expecting to be credited for my unused usage, but I do absolutely believe Xfinity needs to be doing rollover data if you are going to be charging extra for more data. Seems to me to be the fair thing to do for your customers...