Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Regular Visitor

Re: Data Usage Soaring

Same issue, same response. Turned in tv boxes (4), purchased personal modem/router...now, even streaming 4 hours per day usage is @ 300 - 350 GB per month...down from 800+
Expert

Re: X1 Data Usage

@Thrashthecap wrote:

My XFi app was telling me our "household" profile was using 80% of our internet data (and we go over the cap every month so that's a lot of data). At first I thought someone was piggybacking but higher security and password changes didn't alter it. I finally unplugged the wireless X1 box (even though it had been turned off and no one had used it for days because it's always been frustratingly glitchy) and the high usage stopped. Everything I saw on the internet claimed the box doesn't count against our data unless we're watching an app like Netflix, but if I unplug it the high usage device disappears, if I plug it back in the device data skyrockets even if we don't turn the box on. I assigned the device hogging all the data it's own profile and paused it and that makes the box stop working so I know the device using up so much data is the wireless X1 box. I've left it unplugged for weeks and the data stays down, then plugged it back in (but didn't use it) and had the profile start using all the data again.

where are you seeing the 'high data' count? the wireless set top box can stream 24/7 on numbered (linear) channels, on-demand, etc and the bytes used do not count toward your CAP (if you have a CAP). this traffic is zero-rated meaning since it is all Comcast in-house traffic it isn't counted. (the router will see the traffic itself). the Xfinity my Account app (internet tab) will show your countable traffic.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Is anyone's data usage through the roof all of a sudden?

My data usage more than doubled this month & my typical activity hasn't changed.  Is anyone else having this problem?  If so, what was the root cause?

My wifi is password protected and I even changed my password just in case.  My network diagnostics says the only devices running on it are mine and my previous average maxed out at 18gb/day.  

Currently it's running at over 50gb/day and I'm not doing anything different.  I'm not even sure how to sustain that much data usage as one person, even when texting while streaming live sports...

Xfinity said, [too quickly] that nothing has changed on their side..... This isn't cool.

Regular Contributor

Re: Is anyone's data usage through the roof all of a sudden?

MathewHMN,

Scroll up for lots of ways to use lots of data.  Since you mention streaming specifically, numbers I've seen for 4K streaming vary from 3.5GB/hour all the way to 19GB/hour.  One of the problems of guessing streaming numbers is that it depends on what kind of display and streaming device you have, the service you're using and even the program you're watching.  (ie: sports uses a lot more bits than the mostly static image of a newscaster.)  Many streaming boxes/systems do have some way to find out or control how much data they are using.

But there are plenty of ways to use data besides streaming - even stuff you may not even be aware of like malware.  Also, in this thread are various cases of people using various software like on-line disk/backup programs that were well-behaved for years and then started consuming massive data.

Unfortunately we all tend to take for granted that the stuff we have is what everyone else has, but really you probably have all kinds of different stuff than I do.  Just the other day I was trying to help a guy out with his phone and every 30 seconds or so some video advertisement took over the phone for 30 seconds.  That wasn't even what he wanted help with - he thought all phones did that! Not only was it annoying but all that bandwidth for those spamvertisements was coming out of his data plan.

Expert

@MathewHMN wrote:

My data usage more than doubled this month & my typical activity hasn't changed.  Is anyone else having this problem?  If so, what was the root cause?

My wifi is password protected and I even changed my password just in case.  My network diagnostics says the only devices running on it are mine and my previous average maxed out at 18gb/day.  

Currently it's running at over 50gb/day and I'm not doing anything different.  I'm not even sure how to sustain that much data usage as one person, even when texting while streaming live sports...

Xfinity said, [too quickly] that nothing has changed on their side..... This isn't cool.

are you speaking of your usage shown on the Xfinity My Account app (internet tab)?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Usage overage

@XfinityI have dealt with 8 customer service representatives in the last 5 days trying to understand why my data usage tripled in the month of March. My data usage in December 2018, January 2019 and February 2019 where all consistent. Then on March 28th I received an alert that my March data usage was at 90%, my account ended up being over for March. I must point out we have not added any new devices to our network and we were away for 10 days during the month of March. I have asked Xfinity to provide me with a detail report of my usage for the months of January and February so that I can analyze and determine what is causing the spike in usage. I have been told that the January and February data are no longer available and all they can do is provide me with steps to monitor and control my data usage or suggest that I up my plan to unlimited data going forward. As a customer I have a real problem with this, if I cannot see a detail report of my usage how can I trust that my usage charges are correct. I would like this issue escalated and would like to see the details around the usage for my account so that I can determine the detail cause for the spike in usage. I cannot fix or adjust something I cannot see. You cannot all of a sudden start tracking a higher data usage when you will not show the detail data usage from the previous months. Your company is refusing to provide detail usage data for an account.
Expert

Re: Usage overage

You post has been merged with this thread, please review it for ideas and methods for monitoring your usage.

New Poster

High Data Usage

I am having a hard time believing that in the past 10 days I have used >600GB of data usage - Can one of the comcast moderators comment so we can look into this. 

Thank You

New Poster

Re: Data Usage

@Astrolopithicus wrote:

My data went sky high after we bought an Apple TV with Direct TV built in. Unless you double-click the "TV" button on the Apple TV remote then swipe away the Direct TV app it will continue to run in the background, even if the TV is off. I suspect their menu system is a data pig. Mine uses up to 35GB per day unless the app is closed. Personally, I think it's a bit of a scam to increase revenue. How can Comcast not know this huge data hog is a major culprit for overcharges? The people on the Comcast help desk, seem oblivious. Maybe you have a similar situation going on.

So Comcast is suppose to notify you every time you connect a device that might run in the background, even if it's not their product?  Should they come over and monitor your network, pointing out bandwidth hogs?  Should they have Valve Inc, give them access to users accounts so they can then call clients like me up and say 'Hey Fool, Steam is auto-updating all your games, you should turn that off since you have 1500+ games on your account.  Some of those patches are pretty darn big!'  How can Comcast not know auto-updating gaming clients are a major culprit for overcharges?  How can they not hold my hand and remind me every month?  Or if I leave Amazon running after I fall asleep on high quality?  Where is Comcast hiding when that happens?   Shouldn't they realize at 3AM the average Joe probably isn't really watching a 4th episode of [insert 45+ minute per episode series here] and wake him up so he can stop the unwatched streaming?

New Poster

Re: 1TB is not sufficient these days. We need at least 2TB!

@Abner055 wrote:

For Christmas I decided to give myself a Nest Hello Door Bell and three inside cameras. The cameras are 1080P HD resolution. Nest states that each camera could use up to 300 GB a month.

So there goes my 1TB limit. As of this morning I'm already up to 1138GB.

when I bought the cameras I updated to the extreme Blast which give 20 MBPS upload instead of only 10 and also improves the download to I think 250 MBPS for an extra $10 a month.

Prior to the cameras I have never gone over. 

The extreme package should increase the limit to 2TB.

The next package xFinity offers is Unlimited for an extra $50 a Month. I dont need unlimited. I only need 2TB. and I would be happy to play $20 for extreme blast if it aslo raised the limits from 1TB to 2TB.

If Comcast doesnt offer a 2TB package with the extreme plan, i might as well cancel extreme and have the seciruty cameras upload at 720 in which case they only use about 120 GB a month.

Come on Comcast/xFinity 1TB these days is too low and forcing unlimited as the only option for $50 a months is extremes. Give us a 2TB package!!

So set motion detection on your cameras.  Or get a business account.  Or save to a NAS.  Why you would stream 3 1080p cameras 24/7 to cloud storage is... anyone's guess.  How much is that cloud storage costing you?  

New Poster

@Stenar wrote:

I fully believe Comcast is fudging the numbers to force people to pay for extra GBs (that they're not really even using). Around 3-4 months ago, my internet usage suddenly doubled. Nothing new was added to our network. Our viewing habits did not change. We don't have any neighbors leaching our internet. This is extremely fishy.

A long time ago, Comcast disabled my account.  The reason was 'bandwidth leak'.  A tech came out and looked at the connections outside the house, did some typing on his laptop, and the next day my account was turned back on.

Sounded to me like they thought someone was stealing service by way of connecting to my service and that evidently skyrocketed my usage.  I never did get a concrete answer from them as to the actual problem or resolution.  They just 'fixed' it after I called asking why my service wasn't working.

Ever since I've never believed their usage statistics, not that I really did before that, either. 

We used over 2TB/month before the 1TB cap.  We ended 'alway-on/auto-play' streaming, set gaming clients to update games on a per played game basis rather than 'update at will', set default resolutions on streaming services lower than max (who needs 4K when listening to a Ted Talks?), limited downloading of games per 'actually going to play it, rather than, I might sometime'  and backed up the download rather than deleted even if thinking 'I'm never going to play this again'.  Combined we have thousands of games and many are high double digit GB downloads.  I have 4 TB of installed games, and that's nowhere near my entire library.  I could possibly cap just from auto-updates some months.  There are 2 other high usage gamers in this family.  

New Poster

Recent upgrade to 1000 mbps

So I recently upgraded from 200mbps to 1000mnps and I already have docis 3.1 modem. How long until the speeds kick in?
New Poster

I'm having Same issue. I've asked they provide a report on what device , what time, exactly how much. All they want me to do is pay. Nothing has change at home. Other than I have a XFi modem .
New Poster

I'm having the same issue. Specifically March 2019. I've asked for detailed report , what device, what time . How much per device. No answers from Xfinity
New Poster

Re: Recent upgrade to 1000 mbps

Same here.  I recently upgraded from 400 mbps to 1 GB.  Thus far, the speeds have actually been slower.  And yes, I have a DOCSIS 3.1 approved modem and have restarted everything numerous times.  Tech support can't give me a clear answer.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Recent upgrade to 1000 mbps

What speed tier does it say on the website statement?

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/billing/

Internet
Download as fast as 986 Mbps
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Itemized breakdown of Internet Usage

You claim I am almost at a terabyte of data usage for the current billing cycle. I would like a summary of where this data is coming from. In the same way the phone company can provide the calls placed, I would like to know how this data is being captured.

Expert

Re: Itemized breakdown of Internet Usage

@Habanagold wrote:

You claim I am almost at a terabyte of data usage for the current billing cycle. I would like a summary of where this data is coming from. In the same way the phone company can provide the calls placed, I would like to know how this data is being captured.

the data modem and set top box modems connect to a device that provides 'internet' access. the bytes that are counted in data are those that go outside of comcast's own server farms/network (TV go, web sites, streaming netflix, etc). 'in-house' data for streaming TV will be 'seen' by your local router but will not be counted when watching linear TV, recordigns, on-demand. any use of TVgo, TVgo on-demand, 3rd party apps like Netflix are all counted bytes. 

Expert

Re: Itemized breakdown of Internet Usage

@Habanagold wrote:

Comcast doesn't have monitoring software inside your network and it doesn't do deep packet inspection. Even if you knew where your modem or gateway was connecting to, more importantly, you'd still have to figure out which devices inside your network are using that data, and that's not something Comcast can do for you. 

Look over this thread to see tips on how to do this. 

Frequent Visitor

I have blown through the data cap twice in recent months, so I started watching traffic with GlassShark and Google Wifi.

The first month, I was legitimately using a lot of data (although not as much as Xfinity was claiming), when I dumbed-down some of my devices' settings, I saw a huge drop in usage using my local network tools, but Xfinity only showed a slight drop in data usage (fortunately just below the data cap).

Most of my volume was coming from:
- XBox updates: (we have 3 Xboxes and there is a bug that causes games to be completely re-downloaded when updates are pushed down to games that are installed on an external drive)
- Google Drive: I back up all my photos and videos to Google Drive and I had switched accounts, so I had to re-sync around 1TB of data (spanned across 2 months, luckily)
- Nest cameras: We have 3 nest cameras, and they were sending High Quality HD video to the server by default

I turned off automatic updates on the Xboxes, dumbed down the video and storage settings on the Nest cameras, and the big Google Drive sync eventually finished. This drastically cut my bandwidth usage (by 60% according to GlassShark and Google Wifi), but Xfinity data usage still showed me using only about 10% less bandwidth, and I routinely hit 850MB or more each month. There is simply no way that is possible, given our current usage levels.

Xfinity shouldn't charge for overages unless they can give the type of detailed breakdown of usage by device and service that Google Wifi provides. 

Expert

@SoyIsMurder wrote:

I have blown through the data cap twice in recent months, so I started watching traffic with GlassShark and Google Wifi.

The first month, I was legitimately using a lot of data (although not as much as Xfinity was claiming), when I dumbed-down some of my devices' settings, I saw a huge drop in usage using my local network tools, but Xfinity only showed a slight drop in data usage (fortunately just below the data cap).

Most of my volume was coming from:
- XBox updates: (we have 3 Xboxes and there is a bug that causes games to be completely re-downloaded when updates are pushed down to games that are installed on an external drive)
- Google Drive: I back up all my photos and videos to Google Drive and I had switched accounts, so I had to re-sync around 1TB of data (spanned across 2 months, luckily)
- Nest cameras: We have 3 nest cameras, and they were sending High Quality HD video to the server by default

I turned off automatic updates on the Xboxes, dumbed down the video and storage settings on the Nest cameras, and the big Google Drive sync eventually finished. This drastically cut my bandwidth usage (by 60% according to GlassShark and Google Wifi), but Xfinity data usage still showed me using only about 10% less bandwidth, and I routinely hit 850MB or more each month. There is simply no way that is possible, given our current usage levels.

Xfinity shouldn't charge for overages unless they can give the type of detailed breakdown of usage by device and service that Google Wifi provides. 

are you counting the traffic that does not go through your router (from the set top boxes themselves)? they use countable data when using internet 'marked' apps. 

Frequent Visitor

"are you counting the traffic that does not go through your router (from the set top boxes themselves)? they use countable data when using internet 'marked' apps"

Thanks for the info! Definitely sounds like a possibility. I don't have visibility to the set top boxes, as far as I know. The Data Usage Page doesn't break down traffic by device.

What is an "internet 'marked' app"? I have watched Netflix through the set top once or twice, but  I really only use the set top boxes for watching TV. I do stream Xfinity on my phone, but I assume this is caught by my Google Wifi app.

Expert

@SoyIsMurder wrote:

"are you counting the traffic that does not go through your router (from the set top boxes themselves)? they use countable data when using internet 'marked' apps"

Thanks for the info! Definitely sounds like a possibility. I don't have visibility to the set top boxes, as far as I know. The Data Usage Page doesn't break down traffic by device.

What is an "internet 'marked' app"? I have watched Netflix through the set top once or twice, but  I really only use the set top boxes for watching TV. I do stream Xfinity on my phone, but I assume this is caught by my Google Wifi app.

use the voice command apps. look for a lighter colored area under each app where it says 'internet' as you move the 'cursor' to highlight the app. (light gray box with black letters 'internet').

New Poster

Data usage

I noticed that my family is using alot more data than what would be normal. Is there any way to find out what device is using the most data? e.g. cell phone, TV, vedio games

Expert

Re: Data usage

@Craig26 wrote:

I noticed that my family is using alot more data than what would be normal. Is there any way to find out what device is using the most data? e.g. cell phone, TV, vedio games

are you speaking of data showing as used on the myAccount app, internet tab?

New Poster

data usage

Something is very fishy here. For almost a year I had very little data usage and now one of my Macs at home that sits idle most of the time, no malware, no viruses is suddenly being reported as using ALL of my 1TB of data within the first four days of the month. 

New Poster

Re: High Data Usage

well i can,t wait until they connect att fiber up, they are digging up my front yard now. im tire if getting raked over the coals by comcast. they just started billing me 200$ overage a month for streaming and im not steaming more than i use to. this is carzy.

Expert

@boilerdog wrote:

well i can,t wait until they connect att fiber up, they are digging up my front yard now. im tire if getting raked over the coals by comcast. they just started billing me 200$ overage a month for streaming and im not steaming more than i use to. this is carzy.

unlimited service  is said to be about $50 more per month. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: data usage

@mckaigg wrote:

Something is very fishy here. For almost a year I had very little data usage and now one of my Macs at home that sits idle most of the time, no malware, no viruses is suddenly being reported as using ALL of my 1TB of data within the first four days of the month. 

Are you using an offsite backup service like Amazon?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Re: Data usage

Hi, Craig26! Welcome to our community! Do you have your own modem od do you lease one from us? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Data getting used so quickly

Since April 1, 2019 my data use is ridiculous! I am doing nothing differently than previous months during which my highest use was 412GB and last month it was 1500GB. Tracking it this month it shows I am using an average of 5GB per hour and I'm not even streaming or downloading anthing. What changed that this is happening?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data getting used so quickly

@AngryUserToo wrote:

Since April 1, 2019 my data use is ridiculous! I am doing nothing differently than previous months during which my highest use was 412GB and last month it was 1500GB. Tracking it this month it shows I am using an average of 5GB per hour and I'm not even streaming or downloading anthing. What changed that this is happening?

Are you using a backup service?  Also, there have been reports of some devices doing large updates like the PS/4, etc.

New Poster

I don't know what a backup service is. Absolutely nothing changed about how I use my service from month to month. The only change is the rate at which it is being calculated as of April.
Regular Contributor

There are many ways to use lots of data.  Many are listed in the Terabyte usage thread though it's possible that you have discovered another one.  See the thread for ideas on how to track, isolate etc.  In the most simple sense, simply shutting a device off for a few days at a time can start to narrow it down.  (Or if you're really blasting through data - shut em all off and then start one at a time several days apart.) 

Of course, many operating systems have network monitoring tools that can make this faster. 

The Comcast meter says it may not show data used within the last 24 hours so you should do these tests over days to make sure the results make sense.

It could be something really simple, like a streaming device that keeps on streaming because it doesn't know the TV is off.  But only you know what devices and services you have.

Official Employee

Re: data usage

Hello mckaigg.  We welcome you to the Xfinity Forums and thank you for creating your first post. I can help get you pointed in the right direction, so we can get you help with researching your data usage concern. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name so I can assist you.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@AngryUserToo wrote:
I don't know what a backup service is. Absolutely nothing changed about how I use my service from month to month. The only change is the rate at which it is being calculated as of April.

You might have someone who connected to your home network and is streaming movies, etc. I would unplug your router and reset it. You might need to change your password. Have you checked your network for any unrecognized devices?

New Poster

That's when it all started when everyone dicided to turn the boxes in and start streaming, comcast decided to take unlimited away. Now any type of steaming will eat up you data use. So they offer unlimited for 50 your back to where you were before you turned the boxes in. Comcast will get paid no matter what you do. They just make adjustments to get paid. No more carriers for competition
Contributor

Also check your apps that you are using as it could be an app on a phone, laptop. or tablet that is the cause. It could be something as simple as a weather app reporting your position all the time. I turn off all location services unless it is needed and only on when the app is being used if posible. 

Back-up services include things like backing up your data to the cloud. Also saving or syncing you devices.  Watch out for things that send your data to the cloud such as photos to Amazon Photos. 

New Poster

It's just a way for you to pay 50 more a month which is what I had to do after paying 200 a month for 2 months (400)
New Poster

Exactly, as soon as something else comparable is offered, I’m gone.
Official Employee

Exactly, as soon as something else comparable is offered, I’m gone.

Tysthalan, We'd hate to lose you as a customer. Please let me know how I can help!

New Poster

Massive rogue data usage

So all of a sudden my net usage has blown through the roof. Got a warning two nights ago at midnight that we were at 80%, then another one at 6am the next morning saying that we were at 100%. Since then it has gobbled up another 75gb doing nothing that I can tell. Our normal monthly usage is less than 10gb. I downloaded the Xfi app, and all that tells me is that usage is climbing; it does not identify how much each device has actually used over a window of time.   In the last 24 hours, all we have done is watch a basketball game and a streamed tv show. 

So I paused everything and changed the network names and passwords, and it is STILL gobbling data. I even unplugged the modem last night from midnight to 8am, and woke up to find that it had used another 5gb, though I suspect that it takes the monitor some time to catch up to the usage, i.e., not real time.  I have reintroduced devices one at a time and I cannot discern any particular pattern. 

Theories? All I can think of is that the modem has gone rogue.  

Regular Contributor

Re: Massive rogue data usage

Yes, the website says the meter may not include data used for the last 24 hours so my rule of thumb is: shut down device(s) for 24+ hours, read usage, leave them off for another 24+ hours, read usage.  Since you suspect the modem, I would start there.  If that's not it, add (or eliminate) devices one at a time with the same kind of monitoring as above. 

Please let us know what it is/was.  Also check the terabyte usage thread for many examples of data consumers including backup/on-line drive services with bugs.

Silver Problem Solver

@dcw94945 wrote:

So all of a sudden my net usage has blown through the roof. Got a warning two nights ago at midnight that we were at 80%, then another one at 6am the next morning saying that we were at 100%. Since then it has gobbled up another 75gb doing nothing that I can tell. Our normal monthly usage is less than 10gb. I downloaded the Xfi app, and all that tells me is that usage is climbing; it does not identify how much each device has actually used over a window of time.   In the last 24 hours, all we have done is watch a basketball game and a streamed tv show. 

So I paused everything and changed the network names and passwords, and it is STILL gobbling data. I even unplugged the modem last night from midnight to 8am, and woke up to find that it had used another 5gb, though I suspect that it takes the monitor some time to catch up to the usage, i.e., not real time.  I have reintroduced devices one at a time and I cannot discern any particular pattern. 

Theories? All I can think of is that the modem has gone rogue.  

I found out that my backup service (Backblaze)  had a service outage and came on and uploaded a ton of data which caused me to go over the 1TB limit.

Frequent Visitor

I am in the same boat as you. I have talked to so many Xfinity reps including their supposed data security team. I even had a technician to my house. No one seems to have any real answers other than pointing me to the $50.00 a month unlimited data. I am retired and was trying to cut the cord by paying for the $70. terabyte plan. I have tried everything including pausing device, adding Norton, turning TV down to 1080. According to Xfinity to use 1 Terabyte of data you would have to watch 4K video 20 hours a day. I wish Xfinity would be more helpful. The meter on the XFi app doesn’t seem very accurate. We left town for 3 days but we’re still using data. I am at my witts end!!!!!!
Official Employee

kvb968, thanks for posting your concerns! That is troubling to hear that your data is being used while you're not home. Was the CSA team able to create an investigation for you? I see Ally is working with you in PM. 

Frequent Visitor

Yes, the one tech from India gave me this work order number, ih51321554, but nothing was done. In March I talked for 30 Montes to a tech named Lucas who was very helpful and assured me he could help. He told me he would monitor my usage and call me at the end of March, even going so far to say, he was marking it on his calendar and was this time of day good to call. Needless to say, I never heard from him. I am retired so I don’t want to pay the extra $50. a month for unlimited data. That is why I cut the cord, to reduce monthly costs!
Official Employee

kvb968, understood. Thanks for providing the background here. Please reply to Ally's response in private message. We will need to confirm your account info before our team can reach out to the customer security assurance team for next steps/followup. 

Ken

Official Employee

dcw94945, that usage does sound pretty peculiar. I would recommend reaching out to our customer security assurance team. They'll open an investigation. They can be reached here: 1-877-807-6581

New Poster

I have called the customer security folks twice. This is what I’m instructed to do.  Run a virus scan. Done. No viruses.  Rename the networks and change passwords. Done.  No change. Turn off devices and turn them back on one at a time. Done. No change. Turn off the modem completely. Done. It still leaked 9gb over night.  

The second time time I told the guy that the modem was new in the last two weeks and suggested that it might be defective.  He argued with me about whether or not it was really “new,” and when I told him that’s what the  Comcast installer told me, he said I had no way of knowing and that I was “just guessing.” I hung on the obnoxious useless twit. 

Between 5:16 pm on May 23 and 12:35 pm on May 24, the xFi app showed usage going from 1239gb to 1332gb. That’s 97gb when, for all but about 5 hours of that time, the house was asleep or empty with family at school and work. During that 5 hours, we watched two TV shows.  In the three prior months, we used 5gb, 1gb and 9gb. We have never exceeded 10gb since Comcast started limiting. 

This is YOU Comcast, not us. So what are YOU going to do bout it?