Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Surpassing data usage limit

@kmoelhoff wrote:

Rustyben,

In my case, I don't have an X1 box or apps.  Just a router attached to a modem.

Are you using any streaming services?  I saw a post about an Amazon service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I am just at the start of this battle.  We received a message two nights ago that not only were we already over our 1 TB limit...we were over it by 280 gbs...on the 6th day of the month.  Starting doing some research and realized that this was the 3rd time we have been over since August.  We were over 2 TB in August...then it fell to 280 gbs in September.  We were at 1.6 TB in October and now the 1.28 TB in just 6 days.  The problem with this is that in May, June and July, when my son was home from college...spending almost every day streaming and online gaming, we were never over 800 gbs.  (500 in May, 650 in June and 800 in July).  The amount of data we use has plummetted since my son returned to college in August...but yet this is when the data has started to skyrocket.  There is clearly a problem.

My daughter and I do stream and I play some Call of Duty on the weekends...however, when you consider my daughter is hardly ever home and I might stream for an hour a day, the math isn't adding up.  By Xfinity's own numbers, 1 TB of date is 600-700 hours of HD video or 12,000 hours of online gaming.  There are 720 hours in a 30 day month.  This means to go just barely over 1 TB you would need to have a device streaming 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for 30 days.  

We just switched over to the xFi Modem around the first of November.  I would think this was the issue had the massive overages not shown up in August and October.  My wife went to drop off our old modem and had one of the guy there pull up our account.  He was shocked at the data usage he saw in just 7 days.  He said to be at, now, over 1.3 TBs we would need to be running a large company out of house.  He wanted us to run a spyware and malware check.  We have Norton on our computer and it runs scans every day.  However, I ran a full system scan along with Malwarebytes and one other one.  None of the 3 found any issues.  The guy said they would send someone out to help us start to investigate further if the scans didn't find anything.  So, I guess this is the next step.

I paused all devices last night, including the PC and still found "very high" network usage during the overnight hours on the PC this morning when I checked this morning.  All paused devices were still showing as paused.

I will update as we know more.  Clearly from all the posts on this forum this isn't a just an isolated problem.

New Poster

I think I have uncovered my problem.  I don't know if it will help anyone, but its definitely a place to look.  

I went into my network and internet settings.  Click on Ethernet and then clicked on my router.  Then clicked on "Set a data limit to help control data usage on this network."  On the Data Usage page that popped up, I found that my wifi usage for the last 30 days was < 1 MB, but my Ethernet usage was 3.192 TBs.  3.2 TBs...in 30 days!  WTH

So, I clicked on "View usage per app."  Then you have to select usage from...and change to Ethernet.  What I found was that my online backup, Backblaze, had used 3.1 TBs of this data.  I'm a photographer with a massive amount of old client data (pictures and video) on three separate 2 TBs external hard drives.  So, I actually have about 4.5 TBs of total information on those three drive and on my PC.  However, I have had Backblaze now for more than 3 years.  I would expect this amount of data use if I had just signed up and it was going through the inital backup.  However, there is NO REASON for there to be that much data use from this during a time when I have probably added 100 GBs of data to my computer.  

I have a ticket in with them (but I don't expect much remedy so I will probably be ending my relationship with them). 

Before you freak out on your excess data, started by running a malware scan (as they suggested), but then look at your online storage, if you have one.  None of the several Xfinity people we have spoken with on this issue even suggested this.

Regular Contributor

Yes, on-line backups have been identified in this thread multiple times as a source of this issue. As have on-line drives, bitTorrent, and oddball programs like a crypto wallet with a bug.  The problem for support people is that the programs that you can install on a PC or other device that could do this are virtually unlimited. (For example, I had never heard of yours.)  And I know from spending a little time doing support that the first thing 95% of users says is:  "I didn't do ANYTHING!... I haven't installed ANYTHING!... I haven't changed ANYTHING!"   So I think the support people just get used to suggesting a malware scan as it may catch something and doesn't imply that they think the user is lying.

Silver Problem Solver

@COArsenal1 wrote:

I think I have uncovered my problem.  I don't know if it will help anyone, but its definitely a place to look.  

I went into my network and internet settings.  Click on Ethernet and then clicked on my router.  Then clicked on "Set a data limit to help control data usage on this network."  On the Data Usage page that popped up, I found that my wifi usage for the last 30 days was < 1 MB, but my Ethernet usage was 3.192 TBs.  3.2 TBs...in 30 days!  WTH

So, I clicked on "View usage per app."  Then you have to select usage from...and change to Ethernet.  What I found was that my online backup, Backblaze, had used 3.1 TBs of this data.  I'm a photographer with a massive amount of old client data (pictures and video) on three separate 2 TBs external hard drives.  So, I actually have about 4.5 TBs of total information on those three drive and on my PC.  However, I have had Backblaze now for more than 3 years.  I would expect this amount of data use if I had just signed up and it was going through the inital backup.  However, there is NO REASON for there to be that much data use from this during a time when I have probably added 100 GBs of data to my computer.  

I have a ticket in with them (but I don't expect much remedy so I will probably be ending my relationship with them). 

Before you freak out on your excess data, started by running a malware scan (as they suggested), but then look at your online storage, if you have one.  None of the several Xfinity people we have spoken with on this issue even suggested this.

In January, I went over the cap and research showed that Backblaze was the issue.  If it happens again, I might try the ticket approach, but  I suspect there may be no recourse; I either cancel Backblaze or I pay for the overage.  I would be interested to hear from you about your ticket.

(edit: I haven't had an overage since then)

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

I am currently exchanging emails with the tech support at Backblaze.  It is interesting that he hasn't once even implied this couldn't be a problem on their end.  In fact, he has asked to see all the log files because he believes it will help him narrow down where the problem exists.  It is interesting that in trying to zip up all the log files to send to him, I discovered that one of the folders was 2.6 gbs large...and one of the files in there was 2.1 gbs large.  I had a message on my computer yesterday that stated I had not backed my drives since 10-19-18 (even though my account overview on Backblaze showed that 4 of my 5 drives had backed up the previous day and the 5th had backed up 2 days ago.  This massive file was created on 10-20-18.  Can't be a coincidence.  

I'll update you with what I learn.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Why am I constantly going over my data cap still after stopping downloading. $40 extra dollars?!

I called 888-565-4329 ... was on hold 20 minutes and they hung up without picking up.  Tried again...was on hold 45 minutes and gave up.

Yay Customer Service!!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Why am I constantly going over my data cap still after stopping downloading. $40 extra dollars?!

Comcast is reporting between 2x and 4x more traffic than my gateway is reporting.  Ive stopped all "internet apps" from the set top box, so something is amiss.

Regular Visitor

data overages

I have spent around 16 years with Comcast and once again I'm being charged for services I haven't used. I don't know when xfinity started charging for data but I am being charged hundreds of dollars for data that doesn't make any sense. I am a low income veteran who gets the $10 low income internet but recently I have charges almost $300. I should be paying $10 but I paid $97 last month and $85 this month and they are still saying I owe $288 and that's with $70 being taken off the bill. I chatted with Noel I think his name was on Oct.14 2018 and he said we could settle the issue by paying $85 and then the next month I would just pay $60 that's $50 for unlimited data and the $10 low income internet and he also gave me 1 month instant tv free and a $20 bill credit but when my service got disconnected after I had a payment set for automatic with drawl on the 1st. Why they disconnected me I don't know I guess to charge me the disconnect fee for not only internet but for tv service that I never used or wanted. I chatted again with another guy who couldn't help and he connected me with his upper management and after hours of wasted time chatting he just ended the chat in the middle of the chat. Unbelievable!! I just wanted to know why they are charging me 2 months prior for data overages when I question this they say they charge 1 month prior for data. So no one can tell me why my bills say 2 months prior. I have paid more then I believe I should have and this issue is only getting worse. if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. please help
Official Employee

Re: data overages

Hello, scrwdagn  - 

Thank you for reaching out here on the forums, I'd be happy to clarify any questions you have regarding the 1TB Data Usage Plan. This link outlines how we charge for data overages when you're in an area with the 1TB Data Usage Plan. To take a look at the bill together, please send me a PM with your first and last name. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Well, Backblaze has admitted that my problem is "large scale corruption in the infrastructural files Backblaze uses to manages your backup. This is the cause of the file request as the software is attempting to correct these errors by checking each file individually against those already backed up."  However, the moron tech support dude then goes on to say that this is "probably" a result of my RAM being corrupted which is, in return, corrupting their programs files.  He wants me to uninstall Backblaze and do a fresh backup.  LOL!  In addition to su.cking up 3 TBs of data in the past 30 days, he wants me to do another 3 TBs to fixe the problem!  Ummm.....**** no!  Such a typical response from a big company like Backblaze to a problem.  I'm not surprised...I didn't expect any other result.  The problem with this is that my system is running great, I have none of the systoms of bad RAM, all my fairly RAM-intensive programs that I use like Photoshop and After Effects are running great, I have no issues doing any of the online gaming I do...AND the Memory Diagnostic Tool test failed to find any errors.

So, I'm done with Backblaze.  

The morale to my story is that if you are getting huge data overages that you know aren't a result of massive downloading, I wouldn't start be instantly blaming Xfinity.  I would start by checking your system to find out where the data is going (see my first post above), run a few malware scans and then check your online storage if you have one.

I would also like to suggest that people who are trying to help people get to the bottom of this stop brining up the streaming issue.  Its an issue, sure, but I would venture a guess that it is almost NEVER the result of a massive data overage.  You would need to have 4 people streaming 5 hours a day, every single day of the month, just to hit the 1 TB limit.  There might be a family out there doing that...but I would guess they are the VAST exception.  

Expert

@COArsenal1 wrote:

I would also like to suggest that people who are trying to help people get to the bottom of this stop brining up the streaming issue.  Its an issue, sure, but I would venture a guess that it is almost NEVER the result of a massive data overage.  You would need to have 4 people streaming 5 hours a day, every single day of the month, just to hit the 1 TB limit.  There might be a family out there doing that...but I would guess they are the VAST exception.  

I personally have brought up the issue of online backup services several times on this thread. 

The most common causes of overages we've found are(not necessarily in that order):

1. Torrenting or other heavy file downloading/uploading activity.

2. Malware 

3. Online backup services (Carbonite, Backblaze, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive)

4. Video viewing and uploading services like YouTube, Twitch, or XBox Live.

5. Heavy video streaming use (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video)

6. Failure to account for internet use on other platforms such as Xfinity Stream or  X1.

I would love to know the bandwidth statistics of each activity so we can make a Knowledge Base Article about it, but most people just post here to complain yet rarely if ever follow up on what exactly they've done to solve their issues (if they actually have). 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

My router reports 163GB of traffic so far this month.  Deep packet inspection gives me data on 78.4GB of that with the following breakdown:

• streaming media 33.6 GB
  • network protocols 18.2GB
  • file transfer 10.8 GB
  • web 7.3 GB
  • social network 2.2 GB
  • all other categories are in the MB range

In contrast, Comcast says I have used 447GB, between 2x and 3x what my router records.

Actions Im taking - Ive throttled Backblaze way back and stopped "streaming" Netflix to my set top box.  

Thanks to everyone in the forum for their constructive suggestions.

New Poster

Re: XFINITY xFi

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what the heck I am doing differently. I have been with xfinity for over 3 years and never received a message about going over my data plan. I didn’t even know I had one. Now I am either going over or close to it every month. I am furious!!! I can’t wait for my town to get the fiber optics in place. Right now we are stuck with only xfinity as an option.
Expert

@Jojolovebean75 wrote:
I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what the heck I am doing differently. I have been with xfinity for over 3 years and never received a message about going over my data plan. I didn’t even know I had one. Now I am either going over or close to it every month. I am furious!!! I can’t wait for my town to get the fiber optics in place. Right now we are stuck with only xfinity as an option.

do you use Backblaze or other off-site backup services?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I was actually using Backblaze when my data usage was ~400gb/month. Not using any remote backup now = "1200 gb." Alrighty then
Regular Visitor

High data usage

For the second month in a row I have received a high data usage notice. After checking my devices separately for data usage, it appears my Mac Air is using high amounts of data even though it is in sleep mode.  Why would this be happening? 

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gail

Frequent Visitor

it is now the twentieth of the month and comcast reeports ive used 636 GB and my router reports only 198 GB - 3x difference.

I tried calling the comcast service desk and they refuse to even acknowledge that there is a problem because I have my own (xfinity-approved) modem and not a comcast owned modem.

Expert

@WaldoMI wrote:

it is now the twentieth of the month and comcast reeports ive used 636 GB and my router reports only 198 GB - 3x difference.

I tried calling the comcast service desk and they refuse to even acknowledge that there is a problem because I have my own (xfinity-approved) modem and not a comcast owned modem.

your modem does not 'see' (and can't tally) data used by the X1 set top box apps.

Frequent Visitor

Right - and as I said in my earlier post, I have stopped using the set top box apps.  From what I have read, On Demand access to TV shows does not count as data usage, but I suppose that would be the next thing to cut out.

New Poster

Data usage crazy high

Hi.  Since 11 Nov data usage has skyrocketed from under 30gb per day to over 300gb daily. Nothing has changed with connected devices or usage.  Calls to support have not been useful other than confirming the date when usage increased and suggesting resetting both WiFi and xfinity account passwords - which has not helped.  XFi app doesn’t help either as connected devices are not showing any change in usage. 

Coerced into  to upgrading to unlimited plan for another $50 a month to stop internet speeds from being throttled. 

Any my idea how to get to bottom of what is going on?

New Poster

Re: Data usage crazy high

Funny. I could have written that.   Same month, same answers from support, etc.  This started when I cancelled cable TV.  Now I get an email last night that I am above to go over this month.  Only change is that hubby has been working out of town so one less person in the house.  I truly think this is an issue for an attorney as they are scamming their customers.  

Expert

@rangerwife81 wrote:

Funny. I could have written that.   Same month, same answers from support, etc.  This started when I cancelled cable TV.  Now I get an email last night that I am above to go over this month.  Only change is that hubby has been working out of town so one less person in the house.  I truly think this is an issue for an attorney as they are scamming their customers.  

The fact your husband is out of town means he is likely using the Internet more, not less. Also; if you dropped cable-tv are you watching tv only over the air with an antenna?

If you have been watching television on some device over the Internet then your usage would go up dramatically.

New Poster

He is working and using his phone; not our home wifi. We have been using Netflix for years so all your replies make no sense.
Contributor

I don’t stream anything. I’m barely home. I check social media on my phone and laptop.

I’ve been away from home for three days for Thanksgiving and in that time my usage went from 202GB to 223GB. I’m not home. It’s makes no sense that my usage would increase when I’m 600 miles away from home and there are no devices at my house currently connected to my network.
Frequent Visitor

Hey, ours (2 people, often gone, barely watch TV, etc) goes up when we're away WITH THE MODEM/ROUTER UNPLUGGED. Getting close to limit/end of month... great
Frequent Visitor

Something big changed in September - is that what others are seeing?

May
05/01/2018 - 05/31/2018
494 GB 0 GB
June
06/01/2018 - 06/30/2018
598 GB 0 GB
July
07/01/2018 - 07/31/2018
284 GB 0 GB
August
08/01/2018 - 08/31/2018
380 GB 0 GB
September
09/01/2018 - 09/30/2018
998 GB 0 GB
October
10/01/2018 - 10/31/2018
975 GB 0 GB
November
11/01/2018 - 11/30/2018
729 GB 0 GB
Frequent Visitor

Yes indeed
4A6C2391-5042-45FE-BEB1-F418BFB7935F.png
Regular Contributor

Our September and October data is twice our May, June and July data.  However, I assume this is just due to being indoors much more.  Last year I remember December - Feb being 3 times the summer months.

Contributor

I wish one Comcast employee would answer this, but it seems every time people bring up data usage Comcast support just disappears. I assume they know exactly what it is and just don’t want to say.
Frequent Visitor

I spent 90 minutes on the phone with Comcast yesterday...everyone was very nice...but the only answer was to spend more money with Comcast - either buy unlimited data for an extra $50 or rent one of their XFi modems and let it prove my data numbers were different than theirs.

No one will escalate the issue.  No one will look into the number of people who had a huge increase starting in September. No one wil even consider the data from my router's DPI.

New Poster

The Cap

Woke up this morning to an email about hitting some sort of made up cap you put on my package. House of 2, 2 rokus, 1 gaming pc. And i'm about to hit my cap through regular usage???

1TB is not enough for the modern gamer, just one game can be 100GB or more. It's ridiculous you even have a cap on digital data like there's a chance you'll run out or something stupid like that.

This cap needs raised right now before I cancel and go back to free internet. Do not ever in your life email me about a cap again, and if you ever try to charge me extra I swear I will cancel your service.

Contributor

Re: The Cap

They'll charge you extra in a heartbeat. It's why the Data Cap is set so unrealistically low. 

You get 2 'passes' if you go over, but on the third one, they'll charge you a fee unless you buy up into their Unlimited Data plan for an extra fee. 

It's robbery. The whole system is set up for them to either A) Get fees or Get you to buy-up into the Unlimited Data.

Frequent Visitor

Hi, not sure if your data usage has been solved however, I had the same issues as you. It actually is the new XFI box. It needs a refresh signal sent from the XFI support department. I recently spent 5 hours on the phone trouble shutting this same issue. This is something that they know about but yet it seems they will only address it on an individual basis. Hope this helps.
Frequent Visitor

Current comcast customer with the same issue. Back in March of 2018 we changed out our dvr with the XFI box. Since then our data consumption has increased each month. Nothing changed with our household except my 2 boys went back to school in September and yet are data kept getting hire. After calling numerous times and spending hours and hours on the phone we finally figured out the trouble. The XFI box was pulling a hugh amount of data that it shouldn't have been. Once we figured that out I was connected to the XFI department to resolve the issue. All they needed to do was send a refresh signal to all the boxes. Since then the amount of data usage has decreased greatly. Hope this helps
Expert

There's extensive discussion on the terabyte data cap and how to manage it in this thread

New Poster

Putting a limit on internet usage.

It's pretty conspicuous that all of the sudden I'm going over my data limit. Do you think that has anything to do with the fact that when I first got my internet 5 years ago there was no limit? How is it ok that I signed up with no limit and now you're allowed to put a limit on it with out asking me if I want to change my plan. Now of course there is an up charge for no limit. I realize most people wont notice as they probably do not use the 1T, but we do and have always for the past 5 years. Very disappoint in your company. Trying to milk every penny out of a once loyal customer.
New Poster

I am investigating this issue as well. 

We have Xfinity internet service and nothing else. No cable tv or dvr. 

Yet we have exceeded or cap for the second time in three months, going up 40 to 60 gb a day.

I’ll be running a test when we go on vacation. I’m going to unplug the modem for 9 days a see how much data they think that I have used. And since I’ll be able to check while traveling I should at most see some usage as the report “catches up” to the point where the usage stops, but I have a feeling that it’s not going to stop. 

When I’m done with this test I’ll post my results. 

New Poster

@sabbott wrote:

I am investigating this issue as well. 

We have Xfinity internet service and nothing else. No cable tv or dvr. 

Yet we have exceeded or cap for the second time in three months, going up 40 to 60 gb a day.

I’ll be running a test when we go on vacation. I’m going to unplug the modem for 9 days a see how much data they think that I have used. And since I’ll be able to check while traveling I should at most see some usage as the report “catches up” to the point where the usage stops, but I have a feeling that it’s not going to stop. 

When I’m done with this test I’ll post my results. 

Forgot to mention that we don’t use YouTube or Netflix nor do we do any internet gaming so before anyone says to check those be aware we don’t even have them. 

New Poster

Wow, I did not realize that others are also concerned with this newly imposed “data plan” rip-off. I signed up for unlimited internet and out of the blue, Comcast comes up with this money making scheme. As one individual indicated, you would have to watch at least 20 hours of HD streaming a day to get close to using 1TB, which is nearly impossible. I plan to make an official complaint to the BBB. This will probably not help, but will make me feel better. If things do not change, I will be changing my internet service to another vendor.

New Poster

Data usage

My data usage has increased alot since September causing me to end up paying more for overages......even when I pause all devices data is still being used.....My household has not changed as far as phones ,game consoles ,tablets or laptop usage......HELP
New Poster

That's insane! Did you ever find out what's going on?

New Poster

Mine doubled in those months as well, the difference between us is nothing changed for me. I'm an indoors person, and an active gamer. There is no reason my usage should have doubled just because it's cold outside .....

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

The cap has got to go, this is unacceptable. You will pay for this.

New Poster

Hi,

How did they found out that XF1 box was problematic ?

Thanks

Michal

Frequent Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

1. The post says, "Enrollment and cancellation go into effect on the first day of the subsequent calendar month."

2. On http://dataplan.xfinity.com/unlimited/, it says, "Enrollment goes into effect immediately and applies to the calendar month in which you make the change."

Which policy is in effect today: 1 or 2?

Thanks.

New Poster

Re: Data usage

How much data do i have to use?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data usage

@Ryanchall wrote:
How much data do i have to use?

Have you read the 1 Terabyte articles?

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan

Highlighted
Contributor

4K Streaming Chews Through Paltry 1TB Data Cap

Highly recommend reading this article with Cisco's annual study backing the evidence. 

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/qvqzd5/your-4k-netflix-streaming-is-on-a-collision-course...

Why should we pay an extra $50 for Unlimited Data on a landbased service? To recoup Comcast for all the 'TV Package' cord cutters. 

I pay top dollar for Fiber in my home and I still only get 1TB. Do you know how easy it is to blow through 1TB when you're streaming 4K movies to multiple devices? 

The amount of data I use isn't hurting anyone; because it's not a tangible thing. The line is there, I pay for the service and the fiber can more than easily enough handle what I'm putting through it. so now I'm getting punished for using technology that I've paid for. 

Ugh. Someone get this information to John Oliver. 

Tags (3)
Contributor

@Allen999 wrote:

Wow, I did not realize that others are also concerned with this newly imposed “data plan” rip-off. I signed up for unlimited internet and out of the blue, Comcast comes up with this money making scheme. As one individual indicated, you would have to watch at least 20 hours of HD streaming a day to get close to using 1TB, which is nearly impossible. I plan to make an official complaint to the BBB. This will probably not help, but will make me feel better. If things do not change, I will be changing my internet service to another vendor.

It's because of 4K Video Streaming. 

A lot more channels and movies are releasing in 4K and eat up a TON more data. 

I'm 100% Comcast saw this coming and is ready to bathe in all the extra fees and 'Unlmited Data' sign-ups that they unethically took away from us all. This was their long-game. It's so obvious and with the FCC in their pocket, and our Government, nothing will be able to stop them. 

They work side-by-side with under Internet Providers as well, in the backrooms like AT&T. 

How do you tell? If you're looking to switch providers and they have the EXACT same plans... that's collusion, not competition.