Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Regular Contributor

Re: data usage

If Comcast gave a credit of $10 for each 50GB under 1TB, then our monthly credit would exceed our monthly bill every month.   (Not that I would complain about that but I just don't see them offering such a deal.)

Frequent Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

The data usage monitor is a stupid tool.  Badly designed junk like most of Comcast is.  It only shows total usage.  NOBODY CARES ABOUT THAT.  Why can we not see which device is using it?

Contributor

I have ordered a Fingbox in the hope of actually figuring out how much data I am actually using and which device, if any, is using an inordinate amount.   Comcast has been inarticulate about how their monitor works and unwilling, so far,  to provide any breakdown of data usage beyond their online table function.  I have installed Glasswire and Fing and, so far, I do not see any device using am amount of data that would lead to the data use that Comcast says is occurring.

Frequent Visitor

Yep, fing and glasswire are not showing anything close to what comcast is showing. I finally bought a new router (xr450 nighthawk) and hopefully will be able to pinpoint what <edited for violating forum guidelines> is going on. I'm well into my 4th block of 50gb for this month.

New Poster

Data Usage Statistics

I understand that you have implemented and begun enforcing data usage limits on the accounts. I have no issue with that. I do have a concern that the xFi app only shows a percentage of usage. I am trying to see if the changes that I have made to my device setup have made a difference, but since you only show a percentage and not the actual amount of data used each day I can’t see if I have fixed my overage issue until next month. Are you planning on implementing an actual number for the amount of data used per day, or will I still be going on a best guess for the foreseeable future?
Frequent Visitor

I think you will be extremely dissapointed. While it may be a nice device, the XR450 seems to be running the OS from NetDuma. It is nice about showing bandwidth, but does not track total usage. We have a netduma router. It could use some more non-gaming related features. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Contributor

Re: Data Usage Statistics

I have asked for the details of data usage numerous times and have not received any answer beyond the percentages shown by xFi app and the total for the month shown as data usage.  I think the information being provided by Comcast is insufficient to allow customers to manage the data usage and the fees that accrue.  There is also the question as to why only regions with insufficient competition are being subjected to a few for "excess" data usage.  This looks like profiteering off something that is close to a monopoly. 

Expert

@smallblueplanet wrote:

I have ordered a Fingbox in the hope of actually figuring out how much data I am actually using and which device, if any, is using an inordinate amount.   Comcast has been inarticulate about how their monitor works and unwilling, so far,  to provide any breakdown of data usage beyond their online table function.  I have installed Glasswire and Fing and, so far, I do not see any device using am amount of data that would lead to the data use that Comcast says is occurring.

the fingbox looks very interesting. keep in mind that it will not count data usage by the X1 devices (like youtube or netflix app).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I am on second round of complaint with AG office and first round of complaint filed with FCC and persistence is starting to payoff.  I got a call from a comcast employee named Suzanne yesterday and she actually seemed to have read my complaint and attachments and was willing to engage about how the data usage is accruing.  Here is some of what I got from Suzanne:

1.  Yes, an inhouse/innetwork backup system used solely to backup data and computer images of the network computers may get counted as data usage if the backup program relies on any kind of internet function.  I use syncback to copy and store data on a 5 TB external drive that is connected here in my home.  I have an identical 5 TB external drive at the office (with CenturyLink service, not Comcast) and I switch these drives on a weekly basis so that each site has offsite storage of important data and backups.  I don't think these should count as "data usage" but Suzanne says maybe they do.  My computer shows 546 GB of data usage by SyncBack in the past 30 days. 

2.  Secondary large data users reported by my Win10 computer are Microsoft SMB and Microsoft Photos.  Those two report 167 GB and 55 GB respectively in past 30 days.  Again, I think this is simple file sharing in the household network, so I would think there is now way this should be counted as data usage pulled from Comcast.  Suzanne tells me again, that if any part of these transactions rely on internet in any way, then the whole data load may be counted as data usage by Comcast.

3.  Suzanne repeated the reports of other less helpful comcast employees that their data monitoring does not allow for any day to day data usage breakdown.  Even though their monitor operates on some kind of 24 hour clock, the monitor will not give a readout for data usage for each day of a billing cycle, it will only provide a cumulative total for the monthly billing period. 

<Edited for violating forum guidelines>

I have been watching the data usage of one home theater computer that streams a lot of netflix and hulu video, that computer and software are set to run HD, not ultra HD and the data usage reported by the browser programs used to stream video is in the range of 30 GB for past 30 days which is what I would expect and that kind of streaming does not seem likely to accumulate and push the household over the 1 TB data cap. The big data "usage" at this point appears to be in-network backups.

Lastly, I wonder if the way that Windows 10 updates removed the HomeGroup function has somehow increased the way that in-network traffic is experienced by Comcast? 

Highlighted
New Poster

I jumped onto the forums due to being woefully unable to figure out why, in this month of July 2018, I suddenly jumped from my household's usual 560ish GB of monthly data usage, to nearly hitting the 1024 GB data cap (I'm at 935 GB as of today).  Luckily the month is ending tomorrow morning, but this is still a bit insane.

I checked the data usage monitor only to find it gives a simplistic graph with a total used for the month (and not close to realtime), with no assistance at all regarding exactly what devices may be eating up more data this month than normal.  Is the data from streaming videos, is it downloads/uploads, are their malicious intruders on my home network using my home systems as their botnets?  I have no clue, and apparently XFinity doesn't care.

After reading through a ton of these threads, I see I'm not alone in believing this lackluster data usage monitor is a joke.  I'm afraid to call XFinity representatives after reading the endless amount of bad reports regarding their inability to track data.

I know, based on their policies regarding pirating information (i.e. torrenting packets get less allowance, etc.) over the years that they're not only capable, but already tracking what data goes over their wire; yet we can't be allowed to use the information they're tracking on us already in order to keep our data usage on track?  Or possibly worse, if our home networks have been attacked and we're now unknowingly providing our information systems' as resources for botnets?

It's all a bit ludicrous.

Hopefully someone here will find a solution so all of us stuck with XFinity due to location restrictions might have a better experience.

As it is right now, their simply showing a "total usage" arbitrarily, especially one that doubles the amount used when monthly patterns show much less total usage, seems like a way to trick customers who have no clue how to internet.  We live in a time where even the government must show information when requested, yet we can't see our own traffic information (which we supposedly accrued) even upon request from a company we pay over $100.00 a month to.  The lack of transparency is telling.

Expert

@JCP83 wrote:

I jumped onto the forums due to being woefully unable to figure out why, in this month of July 2018, I suddenly jumped from my household's usual 560ish GB of monthly data usage, to nearly hitting the 1024 GB data cap (I'm at 935 GB as of today).  Luckily the month is ending tomorrow morning, but this is still a bit insane.

I checked the data usage monitor only to find it gives a simplistic graph with a total used for the month (and not close to realtime), with no assistance at all regarding exactly what devices may be eating up more data this month than normal.  Is the data from streaming videos, is it downloads/uploads, are their malicious intruders on my home network using my home systems as their botnets?  I have no clue, and apparently XFinity doesn't care.

After reading through a ton of these threads, I see I'm not alone in believing this lackluster data usage monitor is a joke.  I'm afraid to call XFinity representatives after reading the endless amount of bad reports regarding their inability to track data.

I know, based on their policies regarding pirating information (i.e. torrenting packets get less allowance, etc.) over the years that they're not only capable, but already tracking what data goes over their wire; yet we can't be allowed to use the information they're tracking on us already in order to keep our data usage on track?  Or possibly worse, if our home networks have been attacked and we're now unknowingly providing our information systems' as resources for botnets?

It's all a bit ludicrous.

Hopefully someone here will find a solution so all of us stuck with XFinity due to location restrictions might have a better experience.

As it is right now, their simply showing a "total usage" arbitrarily, especially one that doubles the amount used when monthly patterns show much less total usage, seems like a way to trick customers who have no clue how to internet.  We live in a time where even the government must show information when requested, yet we can't see our own traffic information (which we supposedly accrued) even upon request from a company we pay over $100.00 a month to.  The lack of transparency is telling.

the use of internet data is much like your water or electricity bill, the provider gives you access, you control what is connected. any data for streaming in home that is done 'outside' of the linear channels in your subscription, the on-demand Comcast provided (as opposed to netflix or youtube as an example), or of watching recordings on your DVR on mobile devices or desk/laptop are done through the public internet and do count. The data can go through your data modem/gateway and through your X1 devices that access the internet (many of the apps say 'internet' on the app itself. The X1 data flows normally through their own set top box DOCSIS internal modem. The Xi5 does apparently use the Comcast supplied gateway/modem for internet access. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@JCP83 wrote:

As I pointed out earlier, for them to show you a breakdown of bit by bit use of internet bandwidth from individual devices on your network would necessarily entail that you provide them with access to your internal network and individual devices on it.  Basically, "big brother" type monitoring of everything you have. 

Are you comfortable doing that, given that Comcast already has access to your internet habits and browsing history? 

I sure am not.  Which is why I use my own modem and router, and I use CloudFlare DNS instead of Comcast's. I doubt even Comcast would want to do that anyway, because it's going to put a major strain on their resources as well. 

Contributor

No, I do not want a more invasive monitor.  I have purchased a modem and separate router, installed software to monitor the network, have ordered a fingbox so that I can monitor for myself where the data is being used.  I do think that it might be reasonable for Comcast to be able to give a day by day total when their data usage charge is questioned.  Maybe that is also too invasive for you, but that function already exists in their monitoring system if you simply record the total data used each day at the same time.  So that level of data breakdown does not seem to change things very much.  It would allow a user/customer to identify days when data usage spiked.  That might be helpful in looking at which household members happened to be home on a certain day.  Does that seem reasonable?

Contributor

I have the same concerns that you have about my home network being compromised and hosting bots that are eating my data limits and annoying or injuring other folks around the world. 

As I posted somewhere earlier today:

I am on second round of complaint with AG office and first round of complaint filed with FCC and persistence is starting to payoff.  I got a call from a comcast employee named Suzanne yesterday and she actually seemed to have read my complaint and attachments and was willing to engage about how the data usage is accruing.  Here is some of what I got from Suzanne:

1.  Yes, an inhouse/innetwork backup system used solely to backup data and computer images of the network computers may get counted as data usage if the backup program relies on any kind of internet function.  I use syncback to copy and store data on a 5 TB external drive that is connected here in my home.  I have an identical 5 TB external drive at the office (with CenturyLink service, not Comcast) and I switch these drives on a weekly basis so that each site has offsite storage of important data and backups.  I don't think these should count as "data usage" but Suzanne says maybe they do.  My computer shows 546 GB of data usage by SyncBack in the past 30 days. 

2.  Secondary large data users reported by my Win10 computer are Microsoft SMB and Microsoft Photos.  Those two report 167 GB and 55 GB respectively in past 30 days.  Again, I think this is simple file sharing in the household network, so I would think there is now way this should be counted as data usage pulled from Comcast.  Suzanne tells me again, that if any part of these transactions rely on internet in any way, then the whole data load may be counted as data usage by Comcast.

3.  Suzanne repeated the reports of other less helpful comcast employees that their data monitoring does not allow for any day to day data usage breakdown.  Even though their monitor operates on some kind of 24 hour clock, the monitor will not give a readout for data usage for each day of a billing cycle, it will only provide a cumulative total for the monthly billing period. 

I am waiting for my fingbox to arrive so that I can get a better breakdown of data usage than Comcast is able to provide.  Based on what that shows, I will ask the AG office and/or the FCC to open an investigation as to whether Comcast is breaking rules and/or being deceptive in the way this data cap and overage charges is being handled. 

Suzanne was not knowledgable or involved with these forums and could not tell me why the information that she gave me was not being provided here.  Go figure. Suzanne was smart and responsive. 

New Poster

@darkangelic wrote:

@JCP83 wrote:

As I pointed out earlier, for them to show you a breakdown of bit by bit use of internet bandwidth from individual devices on your network would necessarily entail that you provide them with access to your internal network and individual devices on it.  Basically, "big brother" type monitoring of everything you have. 

Are you comfortable doing that, given that Comcast already has access to your internet habits and browsing history? 

I sure am not.  Which is why I use my own modem and router, and I use CloudFlare DNS instead of Comcast's. I doubt even Comcast would want to do that anyway, because it's going to put a major strain on their resources as well. 

They can, and do, already monitor all traffic leaving the router on their ISP.  I won't bother responding to the one who stated it's like water and electricity, since that's apples and oranges to data packets leaving your internal LAN and traveling out Comcast's WAN to the internet.

Supplying even that information, which they not only A. have, B. store, but C. provide to authorities when warranted, is not too much of a stretch to ask for.  It's your information.  You're the customer who (supposedly) used it, so why can't it be provided?  Yes, it won't give a "bit per device" look, but it would supply all traffic information to support somehow jumping nearly 500 GB extra in a month.

This isn't some odd request.  They have the data already.  They use said data against you, whether when you reach their cap, or when they deem your traffic violates their TOS.  In order to do the latter, they have to keep a record of it, or they would have nothing to use to validate their claims.

Even Facebook these days gives you a copy of all data you've shared on it over the years.  Asking for merely a report of traffic flow for a month they're charging you for said traffic flow is not at all asking too much.

Contributor

I think the analogy to a water bill is logical and appealing, but I don't think that is the way the Comcast monitor works.  It appears from what I was told by comcast employee Suzanne that in-house traffic for backups (like moving water from a sink to a bathtub in your analogy) that rely in any way on an internet function (checking for updates on the program?) will trigger data usage measurement of the in-house backup data.  If you are identified as an expert on these forums, I hope that you will look hard at the questions about the data usage and recognize that simple and logical analogies to a water bill may not be appropriate in this instance.

Frequent Visitor

I doubt the analogy of comparing Comcast to a utility works. If I don’t turn on my faucet my water bill would show zero. If I never connect any device to my router it should also show zero. I have serious doubts that it would. A largely useless comparison and sadly not much help to any of the rest of the forum readers.
Expert

@smallblueplanet wrote:

I think the analogy to a water bill is logical and appealing, but I don't think that is the way the Comcast monitor works.  It appears from what I was told by comcast employee Suzanne that in-house traffic for backups (like moving water from a sink to a bathtub in your analogy) that rely in any way on an internet function (checking for updates on the program?) will trigger data usage measurement of the in-house backup data.  If you are identified as an expert on these forums, I hope that you will look hard at the questions about the data usage and recognize that simple and logical analogies to a water bill may not be appropriate in this instance.

traffic between your local network is not routable and therefore never leaves the 'gateway'.  typically your home network is 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x since it does not leave your home via your gateway it isn't counted by Comcast. ditto 'intra-comcast' network like cloud DVR, on-demand, and linear channels as they are inside Comcast and do not leave comcast's "border routers". The X1 set top boxes that have internet access and use youtube, netflix, facebook, etc., all use countable bytes as they access data outside of Comcast aka the 'internet".

Frequent Visitor

I'm having a tough time finding a router that will measure usage by individual device. The $250 router I bought doesn't even have that function. Can anyone recommend one? As I'm currently into my 5th block of 'extra' 50gb for the month, cost isn't really a factor here. I want to figure where my hemmhorage point is.
Frequent Visitor

It is routable. Just routed within the lan. And nobody cares about that anyway. A router that measures usage by device is what most on here want. Network geek speak is useless.
Frequent Visitor

Please include the router brand and model. It would be useful to those seeking the same kind of device you are. How stupid is it that the xfi routers don’t. Comcast clearly does not care. Time for a new isp
Silver Problem Solver

@pickledpirate wrote:
It is routable. Just routed within the lan. And nobody cares about that anyway. A router that measures usage by device is what most on here want. Network geek speak is useless.

Not sure I understand; data router within the lan should not be counted; only Internet traffic is counted, from what I remember it saying.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

@pickledpirate wrote:
I doubt the analogy of comparing Comcast to a utility works. If I don’t turn on my faucet my water bill would show zero. If I never connect any device to my router it should also show zero. I have serious doubts that it would.

Why do you doubt it?  Or why rely on doubt or belief?  It seems like this would be an easy thing to check.  Turn off the router, wait a few days, check usage, leaving it off, wait a few more days and check it again.  if it keeps going up then something fishy is going on.

BTW, when my bill from the water company shot up, it was because my water main broke, so even with water it's not always as simple as turning the faucet off. 

Frequent Visitor

Exactly right as I understand it. But it is routed just not out the door. I think a lot of people on here know that. I could be wrong. What everyone wants is a good answer and so far there hasn’t been one
Frequent Visitor

Sorry about the water main. Hate when that happens. When the gaming pc goes off for its first year of college, I can test that idea. A day or so without internet would kill some people. But I have thought about trying just such a test.
Regular Contributor

If the person who can’t go a day without internet was the one paying for it, then the problem might solve itself!  Smiley Happy

Contributor

strega - if you search through the forum you will find people who say they have unplugged the router, turned off the computers and the data usage continues.  If you think this problem is simple, maybe you have not experienced the problem or read carefully from folks who are trying to figure out where the data is going and how/where it is being tallied. 

I have turned off SMB, microsoft photos and a resident backup program that are identified as large data users by my computer and I have reset the data counter on my computer.  Too soon to know if that is going to make a difference. 

Contributor

Robert said: "data router within the lan should not be counted; only Internet traffic is counted, from what I remember it saying."

Robert, what you are saying does not fit with what I was told yesterday by Comcast employee Suzanne.  Suzanne was quite clear that lan traffic that relys in any way upon an internet connection (updates?  records of local backup activity) will cause the Comcast monitor to count the entire backup data load as if it was data being pulled down or pushed up from the internet.   Private message me if you want Suzanne's direct number and extension.  It is not helpful to have a person identified as an expert state things here that are probably wrong or misleading. 

Contributor

I ordered a fingbox, but it has not arrived yet.  The sales pitch on the fingbox indicates it will definitely do the kind of specific, detailed measurement of data that you are seeking.  I purchased an Arris SB6193 and an Arris SBR-ac1750 router that are supposed to allow for the kind of monitoring and control that I think will be needed to figure out what is going on with this ridiculous data usage problem. 

Contributor

Comcast employee/tech Suzanne was not as certain that local network backups would not be counted.  Suzanne suggested that I test each local file-sharing and backup program on this home network by unplugging the coax feed to the cable modem.  If the program or backup still works completely, then she believes the data would not be counted, but if there is any connection to internet function as a part of the program, then Suzanne told me she believed the data load would be counted in its entirety. 

Expert

@JCP83 wrote:

@darkangelic wrote:

@JCP83 wrote:

They can, and do, already monitor all traffic leaving the router on their ISP.  I won't bother responding to the one who stated it's like water and electricity, since that's apples and oranges to data packets leaving your internal LAN and traveling out Comcast's WAN to the internet.

Supplying even that information, which they not only A. have, B. store, but C. provide to authorities when warranted, is not too much of a stretch to ask for.  It's your information.  You're the customer who (supposedly) used it, so why can't it be provided?  Yes, it won't give a "bit per device" look, but it would supply all traffic information to support somehow jumping nearly 500 GB extra in a month.

This isn't some odd request.  They have the data already.  They use said data against you, whether when you reach their cap, or when they deem your traffic violates their TOS.  In order to do the latter, they have to keep a record of it, or they would have nothing to use to validate their claims.

Even Facebook these days gives you a copy of all data you've shared on it over the years.  Asking for merely a report of traffic flow for a month they're charging you for said traffic flow is not at all asking too much.

That's not the same thing. Comcast knows how much data is going into and out of your router or gateway, that was never in question. The problem I have is when people want Comcast to be able to monitor what device inside your network uses how much data, because that would entail monitoring inside your LAN. There's no way I, nor most people I know, would consent to that kind of monitoring.

Expert

@smallblueplanet wrote:

No, I do not want a more invasive monitor.  I have purchased a modem and separate router, installed software to monitor the network, have ordered a fingbox so that I can monitor for myself where the data is being used.  I do think that it might be reasonable for Comcast to be able to give a day by day total when their data usage charge is questioned.  Maybe that is also too invasive for you, but that function already exists in their monitoring system if you simply record the total data used each day at the same time.  So that level of data breakdown does not seem to change things very much.  It would allow a user/customer to identify days when data usage spiked.  That might be helpful in looking at which household members happened to be home on a certain day.  Does that seem reasonable?

Not really. If I wanted a more precise accounting of what devices use how much data over a 24 hour span, my ASUS RT-AC88U can do that for me using the built in Traffic Monitor.  I can also set a Bandwidth Limit on any device that's suspect using the router's Parental Control feature. It even has an AI Protection feature that warns me of unusual traffic from a device that might signal malware infection, or if there's been intrusion attempts into my LAN.

I can also set my alerts in My Account to warn me if I've hit 50% of my cap, or some other threshold.

I have an XBox One S, two Macs, two PCs, a Smart TV, two Apple TVs, four iOS devices, all get regular use, and I have NEVER gone over 700 GB in one month, even when both my kids and their friends were home for an extended period of time, soaking up my bandwidth.  

It's really not that hard to maintain control of your LAN. 

Regular Contributor

@smallblueplanet wrote:

strega - if you search through the forum you will find people who say they have unplugged the router, turned off the computers and the data usage continues.  If you think this problem is simple, maybe you have not experienced the problem

I've seen quite a few cases where people said that, but then someone pointed out that they had done their test over less than 24 hours (where the meter doesn't claim to be meaningful) or someone asked if they were aware that their data use included apps on their cable box, and in nearly every case I have read, the poster simply didn't respond.  Thus I tend to assume that they simply realized their mistaken assumptions. 

However, if anyone has specifically tested for these things, I'd like to hear about it. I also recall one person saying Comcast had someone else's modem, or an old re-sold modem on their account.  That's why I think you should do the test.  If the router and cable boxes are off, and the data continues to pile up over days - not hours - then something fishy is going on and I think Comcast would be interested in that.  On the other hand, if the data stops when your home is disconnected, then it's probably stuff in your home an Comcast is way less likely to be interested.

Frequent Visitor

Finally a probable useful answer. An expensive router clearly, but if it has the level of detail and features mentioned it sounds like a deal. Please share screen prints of the software, or a pdf manual if you can. I might replace my 2 routers (one a netduma) with that one. Thx
Frequent Visitor

Well, maybe not. The asus router doesn’t seem any different from other routers. Bandwidth limits and parental controls. Most likely the reason you never go over 700gb is that you are throttling your own internet not Comcast. That can work, but basically shared sacrifice. But thanks for sharing the info. It helps.
Expert

@smallblueplanet wrote:

Robert said: "data router within the lan should not be counted; only Internet traffic is counted, from what I remember it saying."

Robert, what you are saying does not fit with what I was told yesterday by Comcast employee Suzanne.  Suzanne was quite clear that lan traffic that relys in any way upon an internet connection (updates?  records of local backup activity) will cause the Comcast monitor to count the entire backup data load as if it was data being pulled down or pushed up from the internet.   Private message me if you want Suzanne's direct number and extension.  It is not helpful to have a person identified as an expert state things here that are probably wrong or misleading. 

we get charged by bytes that transit outside of Comcast (like TVgo streaming even in home). your local LAN is handled by the switch in your router or modem/gateway.  

Expert

@smallblueplanet wrote:

I ordered a fingbox, but it has not arrived yet.  The sales pitch on the fingbox indicates it will definitely do the kind of specific, detailed measurement of data that you are seeking.  I purchased an Arris SB6193 and an Arris SBR-ac1750 router that are supposed to allow for the kind of monitoring and control that I think will be needed to figure out what is going on with this ridiculous data usage problem. 

I have considered the fingbox but so far not pulled the trigger. It does say it counts traffic of devices but not sure if it can tell which is 'free' and which is outside internet traffic. one limitation though is the fingbox only can count activity on that subnet (router). The X1 set top boxes that have their own DOCSIS modem also count but the fingbox won't be able to see their traffic. the usage web page from over a year ago broke out 'charged' internet data by x1 set top box and the modem/gateway. If you have subnetted your /60 the usage would not count other than the subnet that the fingbox is currently installed. With two security manything cameras (both are ipods) running 24/7 /365 was 256 GB for the month.

New Poster

@darkangelic wrote:

@smallblueplanet wrote:

Not really. If I wanted a more precise accounting of what devices use how much data over a 24 hour span, my ASUS RT-AC88U can do that for me using the built in Traffic Monitor.  I can also set a Bandwidth Limit on any device that's suspect using the router's Parental Control feature. It even has an AI Protection feature that warns me of unusual traffic from a device that might signal malware infection, or if there's been intrusion attempts into my LAN.

I can also set my alerts in My Account to warn me if I've hit 50% of my cap, or some other threshold.

I have an XBox One S, two Macs, two PCs, a Smart TV, two Apple TVs, four iOS devices, all get regular use, and I have NEVER gone over 700 GB in one month, even when both my kids and their friends were home for an extended period of time, soaking up my bandwidth.  

It's really not that hard to maintain control of your LAN. 

First, to your reply that quoted me, you seemed to want to argue against what I'm asking for, while arguing a different topic.  I stated what I was asking for, and it in no way requires Comcast seeing into our LANs.

Second, to the post I just quoted, the point here is that many, myself included, have a lot less devices than what you just pointed out, possibly less users on our networks, yet we ARE going over 700 GB despite using the internet in the same fashion as you pointed out.  Thus our entire idea that something fishy is going on, at least in some areas.

Take for instance today.  Many of you may want to check your data usage for the month of August thus far.

We've been in August now for (in my case) 10 hours and 22 minutes, yet my data usage for my home LAN, of which isn't active due to sleep and work, is already at 3 GB.  So somehow, during the night, with a PC on sleep, TVs turned off, mobile phones inactive (I won't deny they may generate a few hundred MB at most if they're updating apps overnight, but 3 GB? Not realistic), etc., and the rest of the short amount of time today so far at work, 3 GB have been used in my home.

That's the simple point.  A question of how, a question of why, and a question of why won't Comcast assist in at least showing the data that's left my LAN through their ISP so I can figure out what's going on.

I'm not sure about your contention with my wanting an ISP to provide me the same information about myself they would happily provide to authorities, when it doesn't affect you negatively at all.

In any case, it would be amazing if they would be more receptive to assisting consumers in finding out where data leaks are taking place.  The fact that they won't just seems to point that they are truly hoping (if not manipulating the fake little "monitor" they provide us that shows only a graph) we go over our data caps and are forced to pay more.  It most certainly doesn't lend credence to their hoping more consumers use less data so that they can provide better bandwidth to more consumers in each area.

Contributor

Quite right!  I checked my Aug numbers around 9 am and I was at 11 GB for the month.  I am planning/hoping to remember to check that numbers every morning this month so that I can have a sense of whether the data use rises on weekends when more household members are home more hours per day, or if data use falls when some of the household members go on vacation and turn off devices. 

Any kind of specificity, detail, consistency that some of are seeking from Comcast with regard to the data cap and over-use does not have to involve a further loss of privacy for the customer. 

I have had broken pipes leaking water in the past here at home and the water company has sent folks out to help me find the leaks and fix them.  They have been helpful and quite specific about how the water use to my home is measured.  They offer devices to add to the plumbing fixtures to reduce usage and help me keep my water consumption and bill down.  I have a water meter installed on my property and if I turn the valve off, I get to see that the needle stops moving.  I can tell what is happening with my water usage.  This is not at all like looking at an online consumption graph that allows for zero interaction and is paired with customer service that is mixed, at best. 

So, if you like the utility analogy, fine.  Give me the kind of utility accountability and customer service I get from the water utility.  I would be thrilled.

Regular Contributor

@smallblueplanet wrote:

I have had broken pipes leaking water in the past here at home and the water company has sent folks out to help me find the leaks and fix them.

That's impressive.  Mine told me to call a plumber.  Likewise, when i had phone problems, they told me that they would send someone out, but if the problem was in my home, (and they claimed it probably was) then I would be paying for it.  I then explained that I had already isolated the house wiring and was calling them from the test jack on the NID outside the house. The response was: "Well you obviously know too much about this stuff", and they agreed that it was obviously their problem to solve.  It was fixed a few hours later without anyone even coming to the house. The more you know, the better support calls are likely to go. 

Keep in mind again, that the numbers quoted for August 1st (morning) are for less than 24 hours so they'll tell you that doesn't mean much due to the way the meter works. (ie some of that data may actually be from the day before - even though it hadn't appeared on the meter yet.)

The water meter that stops moving immediately is clearly better, but Comcast's slow to respond meter is the one we're stuck with at the moment, so validating it requires turning the valve off for a much longer time. My non-comcast router shows the data in real-time.  It agrees with Comcast pretty well (once you allow for the 24 hour chunkiness of the Comcast numbers).  However, unlike some, it doesn't break anything down by device.

Expert

I don't remember where I saw this but the reset happens around 8pm on the last day of the month (as if the rollover time is before midnight.

Gold Problem Solver

@@Rustyben wrote: ... the reset happens around 8pm on the last day of the month ...

A company called NetForcast audits the usage meter, and its Comcast Meter Accuracy reports posted at https://www.netforecast.com/audit-reports/ describe how it works. The meter resets at the end of the last day of each calendar month (UTC).

When Standard time is in effect, the reset happens at 7PM Eastern, 6PM Central, 5PM Mountain, and 4PM Pacific.

When Daylight Saving time is in effect, it's 8PM Eastern, 7PM Central, 6PM Mountain, and 5PM Pacific.

New Poster

bandwidth Usage Meter is inaccurate

I just want to say that the bandwidth usage meter they have posted seems to be very inaccurate ..

Silver Problem Solver

Re: bandwidth Usage Meter is inaccurate

@Enyxx wrote:

I just want to say that the bandwidth usage meter they have posted seems to be very inaccurate ..

And it is from 2017?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

If I read the audit report correctly, it is based upon 55 actual sites that are monitored for the audit.  That seems like a very small sample.  Also, the accuracy of the meter according to the report is 88 to 94% on that limited number of sites. 

The report says that what is counted for billing is:

"Count all subscriber-generated IP trafficacross the subscriber’s Internet access
line, including IP protocol management traffic and Ethernet framing"

Can anyone assure me that all LAN traffic in the home network does not cross into IP protocol management and ethernet framing?  

I am at 66 GB for August on the second day of the month.  Seems impossible to me, but maybe it's true. 

Contributor

small municipality with serious water problems and the city takes the customer service thing seriously, but the extent of their help with repair stops at the meter.  The workers are routinely willing to spend extra time around the property talking how to find the leaks on the owner side of the meter.

We are under the Federal gun for water quality in a local river.  The river is polluted by farming and industry throughout the watershed and gets too hot in the summer because the banks have been logged and the shade is gone.  Feds don't seem interested in looking hard at the big picture for the river when they can nail a couple of small municipalities that have water treatment outflows into same.  Nevermind that there is nothing that town residents can do about the farm and industy pollution or poorly constructed septic systems in the watershed, let's hold the city and its residents responsible to cool the river and reduce it's total biological oxygen demand.  Complicated situation that leads to a very congenial and cooperative relationship between city residents and the city water utility. 

Frequent Visitor

Hey smallblue. It might be time to unplug. All lan traffic would be ip. That is just a protocol. But only hits Comcast if it is routed out the door. And I do not know that they track outbound. My understanding would be inbound only. I could be wrong. Comcast is garbage and will never be clear on what they are counting.
Gold Problem Solver

@pickledpirate wrote: ... only hits Comcast if it is routed out the door. And I do not know that they track outbound. My understanding would be inbound only. ...

They count inbound (downstream) as well as outbound (upstream). https://3x3mlw452gntzo50k33juqo1-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/NFR5126_Comcast_2016_Met... says:

The CMTS [Cable Modem Termination System] counts downstream and upstream traffic for each subscriber cable modem it serves. Downstream traffic flows from the Internet to the subscriber, and upstream traffic flows from the subscriber to the Internet.
Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote: ... And it is from 2017?

What's wrong with 2017? NetForecast seem to publish reports about once a year, for the previous year. While it would be nice if they were more up-to-date, as long as the findings are that the meter is mostly accurate and the results consistent over time, what's wrong with that?

Frequent Visitor

Thx Bruce. That helps a lot. And explains a big part of my data usage. So streaming to Twitch would no doubt burn up a good chunk of our data. All the more reason to find a better ISP.