Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

Re: Cause of sudden increase in data usage is unknown.

With the increase in the availability of the 4k videos 1T will be spent so much quickly than in the past
New Poster

Exactly.  Usage patterns are going to keep going up with 4k, larger games, more streaming, and do you think Comcast will adjust thier caps appropriately as time goes on, or just push people towards more expensive plans with unlimited data?  Whats worse, is that all their plans used to be unlimited in my area, so this is just a re-shuffle in hopes that consumers will just take it (for lack of knowledge or other options).  They are playing a long game here, and will likely end up winning unless enough people leave.

I'm lucky that I have an unlimited option in my area that is priced competitively with Comcast.  I did my part and left Comcast last month, I hope enough of you do that same (if you even can) and vote with your wallets. 

New Poster

high data usage

This month (February 2018) our internet data usage suddenly went through the roof. We had used our 1Tb limit by the middle of the month and it was continuing to go up quickly. Xfinity was adding 50Gb blocks every day at $10 each. Calls to tech support were no help. I installed the xfi app on my mobile and was able to determine that my Windows10 PC was the culprit. I shut it down and the usage stopped. After a little research, I turned it back on and checked data usage in Settings->Network and Internet->Data Usage->View usage details. At the top of the list - well over 1400Gb was Amazon Drive which I have been using for a couple of years. Has anyone else run into this or can someone explain why Amazon Drive would suddenly start using massive amounts of internet data? In the meantime, I have terminated the Amazon Drive process.

Contributor

Re: high data usage

I did a little searching and found that Amazon has a developer forum for this, but when people post consumer questions there, they tell them to contact Amazon support.  Nonetheless right on the first page of that forum, I see someone complaining that his Amazon drive is uploading all his files over and over and consuming 300GB per day. 

New Poster

Thanks for the reply, Strega7. I tried to search a bit more and found a post regarding "stuck syncing" of Amazon Drive which sounds like the issue I am having. Is that the post to which you are referring?

Contributor

The one I found was titled: "Amazon Drive uploading 4 and 5 copies of all files" but it's probably the same underlying bug.  It's just a few posts below the one you found.

New Poster

Thanks...

New Poster

Anyone else now bloated to 25,000+ GB xfinity data a month (@#$!!?), having spiked in January & February 2018 from an average of 156 GB per month?  No changes here re hardware, usage habits, number of family members (2), etc.  Xfinity Customer Security Assurance Center's reply after 1 1/2 months of scratching their head:  "...dunno know...."  Any helpful thoughts?

Frequent Visitor

First let me state that Comcast has a data cap of 1024 GB/month and Comcast charges $10 when you exceed your monthly data cap and sells you additional 50 GB blocks of data, not to exceed $200 in a billing month. 

From the Comcast Account Page:

"Going forward, if you exceed your data usage plan you will be charged $10.00 for each 50GB of additional data provided, but charges will not exceed $200 each month, no matter how much you use. Or you can purchase our Unlimited Data option for $50 additional a month."

When Comcast data caps were first introduced I asked Comcast why?  The answer I was given was that it allowed Comcast to better manage bandwidth to all of its customers and provide its customers a “better” internet experience.  However Comcast apparently doesn’t care about the “customer experience”, or how much bandwidth/data you use IF you pay them an additional $50/month.  These two facts seem to contradict each other.  I will allow you to draw your own conclusion.

I have suspected for some time now that Comcast was intentionally manipulating their data usage meter.  Last night I performed a simple experiment which showed that my suspicions were valid.  In the attached image you will see three Comcast data usage reports which were taken from my Comcast account webpage at 00:00, 01:00 and 10:30 CST on Feb 25th, 2018. 

At 00:00 CST, Feb 25th, 2018 the Comcast usage meter reported that I had 97 GB of data remaining for the month of Feb 2018.

At 01:00 CST, Feb 25th, 2018 the Comcast usage meter reported that I had 94 GB of data remaining for the month of Feb 2018.

After taking the 01:00 CST Comcast meter reading I unplugged the Comcast internet modem and went to bed.  Without power the internet modem was incapable of any further data usage.  In other words:  I and the Comcast modem were “offline”. 

On the morning of Feb 25th, 2018 at 10:30 I plugged the Comcast modem back into the wall socket and allowed it to finish its boot sequence.  After becoming operational I immediately took another usage meter reading from my Comcast account webpage.  The account webpage showed that I had used 8 GB of data while the Comcast modem was offline and without any power (86 GB remaining at 10:30 Feb 25th, 2018).

It is electronically impossible for the internet modem to use 8 GB of data while being unpowered!

Tampering with an automobile odometer is both a Federal and State of Alabama felony.  I assert that the “rolling forward” of data usage in the fraudulent manner that I have shown Comcast to be guilty of is NO different than the “rolling back” of an automobile odometer given that both felonious practices result in illicit financial gain by the perpetrator.

It is also my understanding that Comcast was fined $2.3 million by the FCC in 2016 for corrupt business practices and had agreed to end such corrupt business practices in a 5 year probation plan which is currently being monitored by the FCC.  While the practice of “rolling forward” data usage meters may not be specifically addressed in the FCC Comcast probation plan it is still unethical and corrupt! 

Simply stating that “Data used in the last 24 hours may not be displayed” DOES NOT GIVE COMCAST THE RIGHT TO MANIPULATE COMCAST CUSTOMER DATA METERS AND DEFRAUD ITS CUSTOMERS!

Comcast Usage Meter Manipulation.jpg
Contributor

Ftherrman: since Comcast says the meter display is not accurate below 24 hours and since your measurements were over less than half that time, I'm not sure that your results tell us anything.  If you shut it down for a few days, then checked, then shut it down for a few more days, then checked again, that would be more interesting.

GCSteele: scroll back in this thread for examples of many things that suddenly start consuming lots of data.  (Latest one - Amazon Drive - I didn't even know there was an Amazon drive which is an example of why it's hard to tell other people where their data is going.)  If you ask your electric company why you are using more electricity, they probably won't know either, but you can start a process of elimination or use some measuring tools.  Some of your devices may already have some tracking tools.  For others, you can probably download something.  Some routers can track this to varying levels of detail.

Expert

adding... the Xg2, Xg1 have their own modems. using youtube, netflix etc apps use your internet that is counted toward your CAP too. \

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

The terabyte should be increased for higher speeds, like Gigabit customers. I mean, we are paying more. With a gigabit and 4k videos, UHD there is huge increase in usage. 

New Poster

usage overages

I recently had some outlandish usage numbers, supposedly using over 1 TB of data in 19 days. Of course it is impossible for a casual user to use that much in that amount of time. Clearly something is wrong. How tdo I track down where these numbers are coming from?

And how to get Comcast to address the fact that something is amiss?

Expert

Re: usage overages

@Bridget5150 wrote:

I recently had some outlandish usage numbers, supposedly using over 1 TB of data in 19 days. Of course it is impossible for a casual user to use that much in that amount of time. Clearly something is wrong. How tdo I track down where these numbers are coming from?

And how to get Comcast to address the fact that something is amiss?

some reports have said there is a problem with a brand's phone/smart device picture backup service sending same pictures over and over (site bug not part of Comcast). any month you are over and month hasn't ended you can change to unlimited service and that month's overage won't be charged. (too late if after billing period). all usage goes through the data modem or the internet use of the set top box (utube, pandora, netflix, etc). 

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

Is the 1tb cap related to my bill?

During February I went over the data limit and I don't know if at the start of March my data cap will go back to normal.

Expert

Re: Is the 1tb cap related to my bill?

@mzeto wrote:

During February I went over the data limit and I don't know if at the start of March my data cap will go back to normal.

This customer's question was answered elsewhere.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Already used 90% of data 11 days into cycle?!!!

Are you kidding me? 90% in 11 days? Two months ago it shows I had 0GB usage. How does this give me any confidence that you're tracking my usage correctly?2018-03-11 16_30_27-XFINITY _ My Account _ EcoBill® Online Bill Pay.png

"99% of our customers don't come close to a terabyte per month" - so I am magically in that 1%?

"You can: 

• Stream between 600 and 700 hours of HD video"  - That works out to about 19 hrs/day & that's not happening in this house.
Expert

Re: Already used 90% of data 11 days into cycle?!!!

Make sure your Wi-Fi is secure and make sure to run virus/malware scans on every device. 

These folks deal with data usage inquires:

Customer Security Assurance 

• Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

large data useage

for the last year i was using 100 G per month consistantly.  starting in Dec. and Jan  i went over the 1T limit.  in Feb i was just under the 1T so not charged.  in March after only 12 days i have used 537 GB of data.  my computer consultant thinks it is drop box (only using 1/4 of the total data), and comcast said to get the XB6 modum which they say will tell you where you are using your data.  i use Bitdefender for anti virus and maleware bytes also.  they seem to work together.

i have searched hard for a program that would allow someone from the outside to get into my computer and my data.  

i do not play any games or download 4K tv programs.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your reply Nerdburg. I posted here because I don't have time to sit on the phone for long periods of time like I have in the past. I would  like to hear their explanation of the 0 GB usage for January though. Let's see...dropped phone, cable; it looks like next will have to be the internet.

Silver Problem Solver

@stish wrote:

Thank you for your reply Nerdburg. I posted here because I don't have time to sit on the phone for long periods of time like I have in the past. I would  like to hear their explanation of the 0 GB usage for January though. Let's see...dropped phone, cable; it looks like next will have to be the internet.

I went over 1TB in one month.  It appears there may be an issue with Amazon and other offline resource suppliers like backups, etc.  Search this thread for amazon.

Frequent Visitor

I've searched my devices & I'm not finding any backup devices. My phone is the only device I see a backup, but I have unlimited data through my provider so I never connect through comcast at home.

I find it odd that noone has addressed the unreliability of Comcast's tracking of data usage & that noone can explain why I had 0 usage in January.

Frequent Visitor

Well good luck with finding a solution or even finding anyone at Comcast who cares or anyone anywhere else as far as that goes.  I have had this issue more than once and have talked with every VP of Customer Service and had discussions with Security Dept and even filed a complaint with the FCC and nothing happened at all.  We turn our PCs off at night, are only casual users, seldom if ever stream movies or shows via the internet, and I check that stupid comcast usage meter every morning just where I can catch 'false readings'.  Today when I logged in I had apparently used 196 GB yesterday.  196 GB in 24 hours?  Seriously?

And of course when you post something to the forum you will get all these "experts who are not employed by Comcast" assuring you that is has something to do with your equipment or telling you to call security because obviously someone is stealing your bandwidth. But never will Comcast or these 'experts who are not employed by Comcast' admit that Comcast is at fault.  Do all the people think we are stupid and don't know how to monitor our usage outside of the useless Comcast Usage Meter? 

If you can find a way to get anyone to really listen and take appropriate action, please let me know.  My only recommendation is to leave Comcast as quickly as you can and pay your money to a reputable company.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your reply amaasing. I also noticed how those non-employee experts avoiding answering & directed the blame towards me. Oh well, as I posted earlier, I dropped phone & cable so I guess the internet is next.

Expert

@amaasing wrote:

.  Today when I logged in I had apparently used 196 GB yesterday.  196 GB in 24 hours?  Seriously

Are you using a Comcast supplied modem? If you log into your account and look under "Devices" do you see any equipment there other than your current equipment?

Regular Visitor

Detailed data usage

We just blew through the terabyte limit in less than half a month. Is there a way we can get a detailed breakdown of what's eating the data? All Xfinity provides is total usage. I would like to know how much each device is consuming. Any suggestions out there? 

Expert

Re: Detailed data usage

@polieolie wrote:

We just blew through the terabyte limit in less than half a month. Is there a way we can get a detailed breakdown of what's eating the data? All Xfinity provides is total usage. I would like to know how much each device is consuming. Any suggestions out there? 

There isn't any way to do that with Comcast supplied equipment. I use a traffic analyzer on my router (Asus RTAC68U) which breaks usage down by device and/or application. I probably wouldn't be comfortable enabling that type of software on a Comcast device due to privacy concerns. 

Contributor

When do the 2 courtesy months reset? I used 2 last year, the data cap started in Oct/Nov 2016, and it still says "2 out of 2 courtesy months used". The Comcast help is deliberatley misleading, they told me the 2 months are only given one time and tried to get me to pay $50 extra. 

Comcast won't tell you how the data is being used or why, the usage meter is deliberately overestimating, and they won't reset the 2 months. Can an official CSR clarify these things?

Expert

@Adent wrote:

When do the 2 courtesy months reset? I used 2 last year, the data cap started in Oct/Nov 2016, and it still says "2 out of 2 courtesy months used". The Comcast help is deliberatley misleading, they told me the 2 months are only given one time and tried to get me to pay $50 extra. 

The courtesy months are on a rolling 12 month period. So whenever 12 months go by w/o using a courtesy month, you'll get the two months back. BUT there is no way to track back 12 months, so you'll have to keep track on your own. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Adent wrote: When do the 2 courtesy months reset? ...

See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-plan, especially "Courtesy Months" on https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-exceed-usage:

... If you use more than a terabyte two times or less in a 12-month period, your courtesy month balance will reset to two at the end of these 12 months. However, if you use more than a terabyte three times in a 12-month period, no more courtesy months will be given. ...
New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Can i ask how you get 1 precent when 47 pages of people complain and tens of thousands to the fcc? :

• For the very tiny portion of our customer super users (less than 1 percent of our customer base) who want more than a terabyte, they can sign up for an unlimited plan for an additional $50 a month, or they have the option to purchase additional buckets of 50 gigabytes of data for $10 each.

I mean i know you have to make your money because lets face it no one is going to be using a tv to watch cable in 2030 and everyone is going to be streaming from an isp but seriusly . 100+ $ for internet a month is a bit much dont ya think comcast? 

just saying 

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Based on something I googled, Comcast has over 22 million internet subscribers.  If we assume every post in this thread is from a unique person which has run into the limit, then that would still only be about 0.01% of their customers.  And even that number is hugely inflated because some people are posting multiple times (some many times), some are responses to questions, etc.  Tens of thousands doesn't add up to 1% of that number either.  A couple of hundreds of thousands would do it.  So, I have no idea what the number actually is, but I don't think you've disproven their "less than 1%" claim.

Regular Visitor

Pirated Data

I believe Some of my data has been pirated. Bringing me close to my data limit. What are the best ways of protecting myself. I've already paused all devices that I didn't recognize, and a router that I didn't own was removed from my wifi by customer service. Thank You

Frequent Visitor

Data Usage I'm not Using

Since Comcast is either unwilling or unable to help I thought I'd ask the community at large this question.

Since December I have been having data usage spikes, where large amounts of data are being mysteriously used. In December, when this first started, I secured my modem and require permission to access my wifi from any device. After talking with Customer Security Assurance, and having a 2200GB usage in December, the month of January was back to my normal usage range of 300-600GB. Then all of a sudden in February data usage jumped again to just under 1TB, and this month it is set to be just under or break the 1TB mark again.

So the question is, has anyone else had this happen and what did you do to fix it? I tried contacting Customer Security Assurance but they have not responded for the last week. I tried contacting regular customer support and they directed me to Customer Security Assurance again.

Contributor

Re: Data Usage I'm not Using

Do you have a strong password on your WiFi?
Someone could be stealing your bandwidth.
Frequent Visitor

Good question. Back in December when this issue started, I used a random password generator that used alpha numeric and symbols. Even after I changed the password, and set the requirement that devices be approved to access the wifi, there was still a fairly large spike in data usage. But for the month of January it went back to my regular usage. Then it jumped up again last month. So if someone is pirating, they are getting through my router password to give themselves access and then removing their device every time.

Expert

@Isstredwick wrote:

Since Comcast is either unwilling or unable to help I thought I'd ask the community at large this question.

Since December I have been having data usage spikes, where large amounts of data are being mysteriously used. In December, when this first started, I secured my modem and require permission to access my wifi from any device. After talking with Customer Security Assurance, and having a 2200GB usage in December, the month of January was back to my normal usage range of 300-600GB. Then all of a sudden in February data usage jumped again to just under 1TB, and this month it is set to be just under or break the 1TB mark again.

So the question is, has anyone else had this happen and what did you do to fix it? I tried contacting Customer Security Assurance but they have not responded for the last week. I tried contacting regular customer support and they directed me to Customer Security Assurance again.

You never mentioned how many people or devices are using your home Internet. Many newer phones, etc., are updating apps , gps, used on each device. Anyone doing streaming video will increase usage many times.

Frequent Visitor

So we have 2 xbox ones, 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, and 3 tablets. There are 4 of us who use internet, but only 2 of us who use it regularly. We have a couple of streaming services that we don't use very often. As I said I know what we use on average, and we are going well beyond it with data usage spikes that have no reason to be there. I could understand using 5-10GB a day with what we run, but I've had 40-70GB spikes and back in December there was almost a 200GB spike in a single day.

Contributor

I would start by looking at each device and figuring out how you monitor data/network use on each.  Then keep track for a while and next time you get a spike, it should show up on one of them.  Or if not, then perhaps you do have some kind of pirate problem. Also if the individual stats don't add up to anywhere near the aggregate amount, then that's another sign of pirating or perhaps you have some device that you are overlooking.   Some people don't realize that streaming via Comcast cable boxes counts, for example.  Of course you have to allow for the fact that the Comcast meter doesn't update in real time so you won't get exact matches.

Also there are routers you can buy (Asus has one) that will display usage by device.  It should be the same as above, but would centralize it for easier monitoring.

Frequent Visitor

I have been monitoring usage very closely, thats why I know what I use on average. And if I'm being pirated they are pretty sophisticated since to use my wifi you need to have an approved device, which I can account for all approved devices.

I guess the general  consensus seems to be that I must be using the data. I'm not, but I guess my only real solution will be to switch providers so I don't end up paying for service I'm not using. I already lost one  of my two free months of going over and I will probably lose the other this month at the current rate of spikes.

Admin1

Re: Pirated Data

Hi tonymartianell5 -- The steps you've taken are a good way to help prevent anyone from using your data. We would also recommend contacting our Security Assurance team at 1-877-807-6581 for more tips and information for protecting yourself from data pirates. 

Expert

@Isstredwick wrote:

So we have 2 xbox ones, 2 laptops, 2 cell phones, and 3 tablets. There are 4 of us who use internet, but only 2 of us who use it regularly. We have a couple of streaming services that we don't use very often. As I said I know what we use on average, and we are going well beyond it with data usage spikes that have no reason to be there. I could understand using 5-10GB a day with what we run, but I've had 40-70GB spikes and back in December there was almost a 200GB spike in a single day.

have everyone turn off wifi on their phones for a couple of days. usage declined and no spikes?

New Poster

Overview says I will be charged $90 for going over even though I still had 2 "courtousy" months

So, I accidently blew over the 1TB limit today (I blame Steam and my recent FFXV LAN party). I wasn't worried since I still had two courtously months as of me checking about a week ago, and I never once went over the cap since the 1.5 years since they implemented it. But I log in today and check my usage and I no longer have a count of my remaining courtousy months, but a reminder of the additional $90 charge (based on using an additional 9 chunks of 50G, and no mention of my remaining courtousy months.

Screenshot_2018-03-24_23-29-42.png
Silver Problem Solver

@Isstredwick wrote:

In my case, I switched my iPhone to a cellular unlimited plan and changed all my iPhone apps to use cellular.  My data usage dropped by about 50%.

Coincidence?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Overview says I will be charged $90 for going over even though I still had 2 "courtousy&qu

@Comuser2007 wrote:

So, I accidently blew over the 1TB limit today (I blame Steam and my recent FFXV LAN party). I wasn't worried since I still had two courtously months as of me checking about a week ago, and I never once went over the cap since the 1.5 years since they implemented it. But I log in today and check my usage and I no longer have a count of my remaining courtousy months, but a reminder of the additional $90 charge (based on using an additional 9 chunks of 50G, and no mention of my remaining courtousy months.

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

"Courtesy Months

We’ll provide you with two courtesy months, so you will not be billed the first two times you exceed a terabyte while you are getting used to the new data usage plan. This means that you will only be subject to overage charges if you use more than a terabyte for a third time in a 12-month period. If you use more than a terabyte two times or less in a 12-month period, your courtesy month balance will reset to two at the end of these 12 months. However, if you use more than a terabyte three times in a 12-month period, no more courtesy months will be given."

Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@Isstredwick

In my case, I switched my iPhone to a cellular unlimited plan and changed all my iPhone apps to use cellular.  My data usage dropped by about 50%.

Coincidence?

You tell us. Does your increased cell data usage equal your Xfinity data drop usage?

Frequent Visitor

RobertWy, I'm glad you were able to do that, but it wouldn't work for me. My issue isn't phone data usage, though they are connected to our network. The overall issue is that despite closely monitoring my usage and cutting it back, there are unexplained data spikes. It's clear there is no solution to this, as the obvious solutions have already been played out. The only solution I see as being left is switching providers and testing Comcast's theory that it's on my end.

Contributor

You could put in your own router in to check the theory too if that's easier for you.

Frequent Visitor

@strega7 wrote:

You could put in your own router in to check the theory too if that's easier for you.

Like it might be the router that is the problem? It could be, but I would have to rent one from Comcast to check. I actually bought mine about 2 years ago.

Contributor

Oh - you have your own router?  Doesn't it have a traffic meter?  Whether that agrees or disagrees with Comcast would be really helpful in determining where the trouble is.