Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Data cap junk...

It doesn't matter if a router's logging function happens to be mislabeling events. It's still traffic nonetheless.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes... DDOSes that are not Comcast's problem, but yours to pay for!  This is evil genius level brilliant!  Yet another reason why we should love them.  If you can be charged for things beyond your control, that is, well, simply awesome!  (for them).

Look, you all have a few choices:

1.  Go with another provider that doesn't enact such archaic restrictions (or maybe even one that does, but actually cares about the circumstances - like finding bigfoot, I suppose)?  

2.  Kill the breaker to your house, and keep paying Comcast.  THIS FIXES EVERYTHING.  It's win/win.  Comcast gets to keep collecting their mad stacks for nothing, and you don't pay overage charges, right?

I'm hearing people disconnecting everything in their house to avoid overages?  Really?  This is what it's come to?  ... Then you get the snarky comment:  "I don't see why you don't just pay an extra $50 when you're already paying $200+ for their content?"

And 1TB limit for a gigabit connection is HILARIOUS, Comcast.  No, really...  

"You can use this connection for two whole hours at the speed promised, and we'll bill you monthly, or charge you for 'overages'."

Think about it... Seriously, sit and think.  They are charging you an insane amount for a gigabit connection, but you are allowed to actually use that speed for 2 HOURS before incurring overages.  And do you want to know why?  Because everyone would switch to the gigabit connection to avoid the overage charges.  But that's not what they want.  They want you to pay the $50, regardless of tier.  End of story - no if's, and's, or but's about it.  There it is in black and white.

That's the end game - they couldn't sell a $50 rate hike to customers, so they enacted caps to do it for them.  And just like magic, you get DDOSed the day they enact it, right? (Wow, that's a really weird coincidence!)

Anyone still defending this is a plant, plain and simple.  

...And anyone that can prove the malfeasance we all know is happening, should sue the pants off this company.

But at a minimum, please light up the following site:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Here's an interesting anecdote:   5 years ago, I had Comcast business @ 50Mbps for $50 per month.  Today, you can't even get 16MBps for that price.  When I had to move, they were shocked at the price I was paying (and took it away, of course).

Expert

@dudeinco wrote:

"You can use this connection for two whole hours at the speed promised, and we'll bill you monthly, or charge you for 'overages'."

Not neccesarily. For example, you can still use it for two hours and not go over 1 TB. That is just your speed. For example, if you initiate a 6 GB download, that's 6 gigs of usage no matter what tier you are on. The speed tier affects the speed of the download itself and the time for the download to complete. Believe me I don't like the limit one bit as much as the next fellow customer but I hope either the feds step in or the states to step in on thisand tell them this isnt right.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert

call 800-Comcast and select internet ask them to release your IP so you can get a new one. I'd note that ipv6 is much harder to DDoS. Changing your IP will remove 'DDoS' to you as the bots (if that what it is) won't know your new ip. you can go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ and screen capture your current IP so you will know that they actually did force a change in IP. (note that windows uses obfuscation of ipv6 and may 'change' the IP from the actual IP to one of the Ips in your provisioned range.

Highlighted
Contributor

@jweaver0312 wrote:

@dudeinco wrote:

Not neccesarily. For example, you can still use it for two hours and not go over 1 TB. That is just your speed. For example, if you initiate a 6 GB download, that's 6 gigs of usage no matter what tier you are on. The speed tier affects the speed of the download itself and the time for the download to complete. Believe me I don't like the limit one bit as much as the next fellow customer but I hope either the feds step in or the states to step in on thisand tell them this isnt right.

If you use the speed, at the actual speed advertised, for 2 hours consistently, you would be using 1TB of data.  That's my point.  Although, it's nice of them to give you this opportunity to do so, I suppose.   2 hours of unadulterated fun per month on the internet is good for something, right?  Maybe you can backup 1/3rd of a hard drive...

And unfortunately, our current feds are hard at work opening up even more shady opportunities for ISPs, but it's still worth pointing out your displeasure to them...

Highlighted
Expert

@dudeinco wrote:

@jweaver0312 wrote:

@dudeinco wrote:

If you use the speed, at the acutal speed advertised, for 2 hours consistently, you would be using 1TB of data.  That's my point.

You won't. See if this link does a better job of explaing it at the first section of it called "Bandwidth vs Speed" http://jpstm.blogspot.com/2011/08/difference-between-speed-vs.html

Also check here: http://www.cablemo.net/understanding-internet-speeds-and-data-usage/

Highlighted
Contributor

@jweaver0312 wrote:

@dudeinco wrote:

@jweaver0312 wrote:

@dudeinco wrote:

If you use the speed, at the acutal speed advertised, for 2 hours consistently, you would be using 1TB of data.  That's my point.

You won't. See if this link does a better job of explaing it at the first section of it called "Bandwidth vs Speed" http://jpstm.blogspot.com/2011/08/difference-between-speed-vs.html

I know the difference between bandwidth and speed - I'm a software engineer.  But on that note, using the full 1Gbps speed for 2 hours *consistently* means using 1TB of data.  I'm not saying one could do this without trying (or that this would be the norm), but this is not debatable.  They are related, in the sense that using 1Gbps requires a data stream at 1Gbps - if you data stream at 1Gbps for 2 hours consistently, you are using 1TB of data.

Imagine downloading your 3TB hard drive backup consistently at 1Gbps.  You would hit your cap in 2 hours.

This is the argument cable companies have been trying to confuse their customers with (there is a real difference between bandwidth and speed), but it's a fallacy.  Your rate of transfer IS in direct correlation to data used in a given amount of time, and vice versa (assuming you actually take advantage of it).  Bandwidth is potential, and data is using that full potential. (and what good is "potential," if you don't use it?  I have a sports car, but I need to make sure it's parked 99% of the time, or drive it at 5Mph?)

No, you won't be just surfing the internet by yourself and hit that cap, but there are a million other ways you could (e.g. Allowing your steam library to update).

And let's face the fact - you are promised 1Gbps for a month (or so they'd like you to believe).  What you are actually given is 1Gbps for two hours.  Because, using that rate of speed at its max bandwidth (without interruption) will hit your cap.

So, the amount of content you can consume in a month is no different than that of someone operating on a [edit] ~3Mbps connection with a consistent stream, EXCEPT you can consume it (a lot) faster.  Theirs takes the month to consume - yours takes 2 hours.

Here's where you should be looking to see the reality:  

http://www.download-time.com/

1000Gb = 1TB, 30days x 24 hours = 720 hours.

@1TB @ 1Gbps = 02:23:09 (hh:mm:ss)

And all this means everyone's potential usage is the same as someone on a 3Mbps connection.  One is an artificial limit, the other is a real limit.  - Even though you *think* you are paying for a month of potential at the 1Gbps you signed up for, you are actually paying for ~2 hours of it....

So, in order to be (relatively) safe from their caps and overages, everyone should get no greater than a 10Mbps plan from *any* company.  Which, by Comcast's standards is "more internet than 99% of people need," right?  (Comcast - the time machine that puts tech back 5 years).  Makes you wonder when they got their 99% statistic, no?  Don't we live in the "cloud" age?

Highlighted
Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

call 800-Comcast and select internet ask them to release your IP so you can get a new one. I'd note that ipv6 is much harder to DDoS. Changing your IP will remove 'DDoS' to you as the bots (if that what it is) won't know your new ip. you can go to https://www.whatismyip.com/ and screen capture your current IP so you will know that they actually did force a change in IP. (note that windows uses obfuscation of ipv6 and may 'change' the IP from the actual IP to one of the Ips in your provisioned range.

Good luck getting a tier 1 phone or chat rep to do that... One might be able to get a rep from the Comcast Security Assurance Dept to do it but you may need more of a reason like getting heavily DDoS'd or something even more serious..

A faster way would be that if one is using a router that has a MAC address cloning feature to clone a different MAC addy in to it to force a change of one's WAN / public IP address.

And the effect won't last for very long anyway.

Highlighted
Contributor

My IP address has changed about 5-7 times over the months - no difference. Of course Im still being assigned to the same subnet. it's been n.n.n.80, n.n.n.170, n.n.n.69 etc.

After I get a new IP, I fix it static to see if I have better luck.  I don't .

Highlighted
Contributor

Comcast *Can* Tell Us Which Devices Are Using the Most Data

In looking at our Comcast bill today, I discovered a device we were being charged for but didn't have. The billing person at Comcast removed it from our list of devices and issued a credit for the 16 months we've been charged for it. During our convo, I mentioned our data overage issues, and from that discussion came the info I needed to be able to tell which devices on our network were using the most data. Every Comcast person I've spoken with since last Friday told me they had no way of knowing or telling us this. Here's where you can find the page. 

http://my.xfinity.com/

>Click on "My Account."

>Log in, if it asks you to. 

>Choose "Manage Settings."

>From the left column, choose "Internet."

>Under Common Solutions, choose "XFINITY xFi."

>Under Home Network Activity, choose "View All Devices."

From there, you can see active and inactive devices. You can rename them and assign them. 

As you click on each device, you'll see its activity for the past 24 hours, as well as for the past month. 

It took a billing person to finally show me what I've been asking for all this time. Obviously, he's smarter than their tech support people. 😉

Additional info:

Yesterday I hired an IT expert to come to our house and troubleshoot the data usage. He told me to delete the entire history in all my browser windows (I use Chrome, Firefox and Safari, in that order). I also emptied my download history and cached images and files. I was really hesitant to delete the browsing history, because I refer to that on an regular basis when I'm looking for something I've seen before. In addition to that, he deleted a ton of files from my husband's work pc. Everything he had us delete or empty had potential for being hacked. I'll be logging our daily data usage for the next month to see if we've solved the problem. An encouraging sign is that we've only used 1gb in the last 24 hours. I know Comcast's usage isn't real time, but I've been logging it daily. Every day since last Friday, we've used anywhere from 29gb to 85gb per day. 

I hope this info helps someone. 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@AWBolden wrote:

Again. Never had this problem before October 2016.  Usage averaged 50-125 GB per month using Performance Starter.  September 2016 before Blast! I had a high month at 150 GB.  I changed to Blast! in October 2016 and it shot up to 1.7 TB in November. Strange.

@EG wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Omigod!  I never considered a DDOS causing the excess usage people are experiencing.

How about ARP, DNS, DHCP, and other incidental background traffic. It's all counted...

It could be one of the above that started when your traffic spiked.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Rustben,

I can see your point to a degree, but as it stands they are still double dipping.

If you charge for the speed teir then this in effect is also a hard data cap. So if I am for instance paying for a 50mb line I can only download X amount of data in 30 days at full speed. If they are setting a data cap before charges then you should beable to consume that cap as fast as possible until you reach it or go over.

They are trying to turn this into a metered service, but are doing so in a heavily biased way. The second I consume more than 1TB I am slapped with penalty fee's, but how about all the months I was at 200gb? Am I seeing a 80% reduction in the internet portion of my bill? No, I am not. Do they allow me to roll over this unused data? Nope, can't do that either. What they will let me do is pay a $50 fee for unlimited data that means I am almost doubling what I pay for my internet connection.

Ok, not lets look at how this cap works. Do I get more data when I pay a premium for a faster connection (that I need)? No, everyone gets the same cap. Do we have access to 3rd party information verifing the accuracy of their meter monthly? No, I doubt they have ever verified it again after their initial one.

Another thing that burns me is the fact they charge $50 for unlimited data, but don't cap the overage charges there. Instead they can hit you for up to $200 in overage fees. So this leads me to believe this is nothing but a money grab for Comcast. They do not even need to be competitive in most areas. They will always be the only cable provider in whatever region they are in and while DSL is getting slowly better it is still a slower connection that cable. So that leads us with fiber providers which are superior in every way, but unfortunately are slow to deploy. Comcast knows this, they know that the more coverage these providers get the more customers they will lose or the more competitive they will need to be. So now they are just grabbing up as much money as they can. I mean they are charging everyone $10 a month for a stupid HD technology fee.. in a country where probably 95% of the population has upgraded to atleast a HD tv. They nickel and dime their customers to death.

Comcast just released the fiber in my area. It is a 2/2gb line, but they also want $300/m and another $1000-1500 in installation fees. In comparison we have a company here called USI Fiber (https://fiber.usinternet.com/plans-and-prices/). For about the same ($298/m) I can get a full 10/10gb connection from them. A 1/1gb connection from them is only 69 bucks. For $99/m I can get a 2/2gb connection. So that is 1/3 of the cost for the same connection offered via comcast and without any installation fee's. This is why people are leaving and this is also why comcast is trying to grab up as much as it can before fiber becomes more common.

In the end all comcast is doing is actually slowing the development and accessibility of the internet. They are penalizing people who actually use their connection for things like 4k movies, Digital game downloads, etc...  If comcast wants to charge for data they fine, they should bill it like any other metered service. They will never do that though, because they they lose out on all the people that barely use a connection. They would rather charge us for speed teirs and then charge us again for actually using those increased speeds.

Highlighted
Expert

@Tgrable1 wrote:

Rustben,

I can see your point to a degree, but as it stands they are still double dipping.

If you charge for the speed teir then this in effect is also a hard data cap. So if I am for instance paying for a 50mb line I can only download X amount of data in 30 days at full speed. If they are setting a data cap before charges then you should beable to consume that cap as fast as possible until you reach it or go over.

They are trying to turn this into a metered service, but are doing so in a heavily biased way. The second I consume more than 1TB I am slapped with penalty fee's, but how about all the months I was at 200gb? Am I seeing a 80% reduction in the internet portion of my bill? No, I am not. Do they allow me to roll over this unused data? Nope, can't do that either. What they will let me do is pay a $50 fee for unlimited data that means I am almost doubling what I pay for my internet connection.

Ok, not lets look at how this cap works. Do I get more data when I pay a premium for a faster connection (that I need)? No, everyone gets the same cap. Do we have access to 3rd party information verifing the accuracy of their meter monthly? No, I doubt they have ever verified it again after their initial one.

Another thing that burns me is the fact they charge $50 for unlimited data, but don't cap the overage charges there. Instead they can hit you for up to $200 in overage fees. So this leads me to believe this is nothing but a money grab for Comcast. They do not even need to be competitive in most areas. They will always be the only cable provider in whatever region they are in and while DSL is getting slowly better it is still a slower connection that cable. So that leads us with fiber providers which are superior in every way, but unfortunately are slow to deploy. Comcast knows this, they know that the more coverage these providers get the more customers they will lose or the more competitive they will need to be. So now they are just grabbing up as much money as they can. I mean they are charging everyone $10 a month for a stupid HD technology fee.. in a country where probably 95% of the population has upgraded to atleast a HD tv. They nickel and dime their customers to death.

Comcast just released the fiber in my area. It is a 2/2gb line, but they also want $300/m and another $1000-1500 in installation fees. In comparison we have a company here called USI Fiber (https://fiber.usinternet.com/plans-and-prices/). For about the same ($298/m) I can get a full 10/10gb connection from them. A 1/1gb connection from them is only 69 bucks. For $99/m I can get a 2/2gb connection. So that is 1/3 of the cost for the same connection offered via comcast and without any installation fee's. This is why people are leaving and this is also why comcast is trying to grab up as much as it can before fiber becomes more common.

In the end all comcast is doing is actually slowing the development and accessibility of the internet. They are penalizing people who actually use their connection for things like 4k movies, Digital game downloads, etc...  If comcast wants to charge for data they fine, they should bill it like any other metered service. They will never do that though, because they they lose out on all the people that barely use a connection. They would rather charge us for speed teirs and then charge us again for actually using those increased speeds.

if you are going over your limit, you can call and change to unlimited 'then' and it includes the current month so there would be no overages. for higher usage customers (I run 200-250 per month with 2 cams streaming and storing in the cloud for both cameras) it seems pretty cheap to pay less than $2 day for unlimited.

Highlighted
New Poster

Data usage going over the limit

January through May, I have been averaging 700-800ish gb a month. These past two months (June and July) I've been going over 1171GB in June, and for July I am currently at 1033GB. For Myself, internet usage is the same for me. What do you guys think is the reason for the drastic increase ?
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Data usage going over the limit

LOL stop doing speed tests...

also anything like speed test or watching the xfinity app on roku counts against you.. what I dont understand it's not going out to the internet... thats comcast network. why does that count against us!

cap2.JPG
Highlighted
Contributor

if you are going over your limit, you can call and change to unlimited 'then' and it includes the current month so there would be no overages. for higher usage customers (I run 200-250 per month with 2 cams streaming and storing in the cloud for both cameras) it seems pretty cheap to pay less than $2 day for unlimited.

I thought I read they won't make the unlimited retroactive. I hope I'm wrong. 

Highlighted
New Poster

first time this has ever happened to me in the 9 years ive been using comcast here.  Data pretty much doubled my usual avg for the month of july.  nothing has changed on my end, no abnormal connections, I dont get it. 😞

is this happening to more people then usual this month?

fdgdgd.jpg
Highlighted
Contributor

@busy345 wrote:

first time this has ever happened to me in the 9 years ive been using comcast here.  Data pretty much doubled my usual avg for the month of july.  nothing has changed on my end, no abnormal connections, I dont get it. 😞

is this happening to more people then usual this month?

If you read the past few pages of this thread, you'll see there are many of us. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

my data usage plan

i recieved a email saying i have went over my usage plan ,i have been using comcast for a few yrs ,i have never went over my usage plan ,i guess im just wondering how ?? 😞 i wont be charged a extra 10$ for each 50GB of data after that , i will find a new provider 😞 1024GB and i went over that ?? i need someone to explain how ??

Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same problem first time ever this month. I found my problem by looking at:

Data usage in Windows Settings>> Network & Internet>>Data usage(left hand side just above bottom line)>>View usage details (from the last 30 days).

This will shows the usage over Wifi over the past 30 days and points to the high data usage program. In my case, it was the streaming of the cameras i have been monitoring but never had such a big jump in usage in the past until July 2017.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Data Usage Question

So for the month of July 2017, I exceeded my data plan usage (1024GB). Prior to this never exceeded. My data usage has roughly been between 700GB-800GB a month. We recently (late June / early July) had Ring camera's installed around our home, 3 to be exact. We probably have the motion sensitivity at nearly high for each camera therefore it is recording 20 seconds of footage to the cloud often throughout the day. 

1) Does the cloud recording use a large amount of data? As an example maybe 20-30 20 second clips at 720p and 1 camera is 1080p, on a daily basis. 

2) When viewing these camera feeds from my mobile device outside of our network, does this use up our data? What about viewing the feeds when I'm at home? 

We stream Netflix / Amazon maybe a couple hours a day, maybe alot more on the weekend. My kids are on youtube probably throughout the day as well everyday. We have home automation stuff throughout the home, not sure if that eats up data. I'm just trying to figure out how we went over all of a sudden this month and I feel like it may be our security cameras. 

Any insight woudl be appreciated. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Data Usage Question

I can answer some of this generically, but specifics require specifics.  The answer to the question as to whether streaming video from cameras outside your home consumes data, the answer is yes.  The same answer applies to your cameras uploading captured segments to the cloud.  As for whether this would apply within your home, that depends on how the cameras operate.  If they always go through a cloud service, then the answer would always be yes (as is the case with my Arlo service).  If they are locally accessed (by internal IP address), then no.  *Generally speaking,* if you need to go to a public web address to access your feeds (with a login), it is always consuming data when you stream/view.

As to how much data they utilize, it really depends on the system, the stored format of the video file created, the streaming bitrate, the frames per second, and the resolution.  All of these are contributing factors to your overall data usage.  Whether this is significant or not, depends on the amount of use.  For me, my Arlo usually only captures my family and I off-guard a few times a month, in 30 second intervals.  It is statistically insignificant when analyzing data use.  For you, your mileage may vary.  If you keep them always on, and monitor 8 hours a day, you may end up adding a significant chunk to your monthly usage.  From the sounds of it, that is not likely.  

Think of the usage as being comparable to having two people in your house watching Netflix at the same time (assuming your cameras feed decent 720p/1080p).  It's likely a bit less, because usually camera streams are *usually* compressed a bit more (and on most cameras, there's a setting for this).  But, when you add your streaming to the uploads your system is doing, it is likely similar.  

If you can locate the framerate of your camera, and the format it uses, you can use a calculator like this to calculate your estimated usage:

https://www.digitalrebellion.com/webapps/videocalc

Basically, if you can measure in hours per day for recording, and viewing, you *could be* significantly adding to your usage.  If you can measure in minutes, and generally a few hours per week, you probably are not making much of a dent.

IOT was not prepared for internet technology to be set back a half-decade, but if you reign it in, you can still manage it.

The things that will absolutely kill you, however, are gaming systems - games downloading over the internet, gaming updates, streaming voice and video, recording - e.g. casts: regular podcasts/Twitch/etc. -, updates across multiple PCs, excessive 4K streaming (more than a few per week), and basically anything that is more modern, and frequently used.  For a gamer, on a Steam sale, you will burn through your cap just by downloading 20 AAA games (same applies for XBox, PS, etc - which also do regular updates as well).  And remember, that's not a concern for the day of the sale, that's a concern for the ENTIRE MONTH.  If it is *digital distribution* of large applications (Windows, Adobe, and Office comes to mind), or games (mostly AAA), then you can count on large chunks being taken out.   I guess XFinity wants us back in the age of DVD-based distribution (I also guess they can't manage their own networks, if they had to resort to such caps [lie]).  And obviously, if you're using any sort of peer to peer networking with this cap, STOP (I think the FCC, and MPAA killed this years ago anyhow, though).

..And forget cloud backups, if you are using it for anything significant.  If you have already established one, incremental updates won't hurt (unless it syncs your entire library to another PC), but if you're starting with something large (like a huge photo library), watch carefully, and pay attention to the size of your image library.  AND NEVER backup your PC to the cloud.  Until Comcast learns their archaic practice is ridiculously stupid, that will burn up your allotment in 1 day.

Highlighted
New Poster

I think Comcast data usage issues just started to surface recently probably due to some changes Comcast has made couple with higher quality streaming video from sources that resulted in more data consumed by us.

I would look at your own high frequency usage data per system to see if anything stands out and throttle back if you can.

Highlighted
Expert

@regdawg1 wrote:

So for the month of July 2017, I exceeded my data plan usage (1024GB). Prior to this never exceeded. My data usage has roughly been between 700GB-800GB a month. We recently (late June / early July) had Ring camera's installed around our home, 3 to be exact. We probably have the motion sensitivity at nearly high for each camera therefore it is recording 20 seconds of footage to the cloud often throughout the day. 

1) Does the cloud recording use a large amount of data? As an example maybe 20-30 20 second clips at 720p and 1 camera is 1080p, on a daily basis. 

2) When viewing these camera feeds from my mobile device outside of our network, does this use up our data? What about viewing the feeds when I'm at home? 

We stream Netflix / Amazon maybe a couple hours a day, maybe alot more on the weekend. My kids are on youtube probably throughout the day as well everyday. We have home automation stuff throughout the home, not sure if that eats up data. I'm just trying to figure out how we went over all of a sudden this month and I feel like it may be our security cameras. 

I have 2 ipods streaming to cloud 24/7 using app manything and stream a lot in the home. my usage is almost always under 300 GB. I have many memo's and wireless t'stats and 2 chrome devices that use data too. 

note that you can change at any time to unlimited and there will be no overage charges for that month.

Highlighted
Contributor

@TibbieMom wrote:

I thought I read they won't make the unlimited retroactive. I hope I'm wrong. 

They won't make it retroactive if you are past your billing cycle.  You have to upgrade DURING the billing cycle.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@regdawg1 wrote:

I have 2 ipods streaming to cloud 24/7 using app manything and stream a lot in the home. my usage is almost always under 300 GB. I have many memo's and wireless t'stats and 2 chrome devices that use data too. 

note that you can change at any time to unlimited and there will be no overage charges for that month.

@After reading alot of the posts on here I think I'm in the same situation  with the spike of data usage. As I said in my initial post, I averaged 700-800GB a month from January to June. I have 20 +/- devices in my home from tablets, PCs, TVs, home automation devices, etc. I had the Arlo security camera's (5 cameras being recorded to the cloud) before I this month I switch to the Ring security camera's (3 being recorded to cloud). In my initial post I thought it could possibly be my camera's but now I'm doubting it because I previously had 5 security cameras when I was averaging the 700-800GB a month. So something definitely has changed @ Comcast. 

I'm using a NETGEAR R6300v2 with my comcast modem in bridgemode. Anyone know if the NETGEAR router has a place where it can tell you what devices connected to it is using data and how much? 

Highlighted
Contributor

I have an R7000, but I assume they are roughly the same firmware.

From your administration:

Advanced Tab -> Advanced Setup -> Traffic Meter -> Enable Traffic Meter - but this won't give you by device.

Advanced Tab -> Administration -> Attached Devices - Will show you what has a DHCP address supplied by your router.

Highlighted
Expert

adding... and the router will show all traffic even zero-rated streaming (for example live TV streamed to an ipad that compcast does not charge for the data stream).

FWIW my iphones have unlimited data (T-'brand') and I watch some of the TVgo stuff and data used that was does not seem to count since not on my home network.

anyone use iphone's calling over wifi? wonder if that uses much data?

Highlighted
New Poster

According to my windows data usage, it mostly all stems from Chrome. (907gb)  The only thing I can think that would cause that is always having twitch streams open.  Although my twitch usage in July has not been any different then the past few years, so I dont know why my data usage would double now.

Using their data estimator (https://dataplan.xfinity.com/estimator/) it comes out to exactly what ive been avging for years now.  It's on their end, they've changed something...

Highlighted
New Poster

If your usage has been constant and always on, and by Comcast “opens the gate” or double up your speed, I think it’s possible that your data usage would double.  

Highlighted
Expert

@dudeinco wrote:

I can answer some of this generically, but specifics require specifics.  The answer to the question as to whether streaming video from cameras outside your home consumes data, the answer is yes.  The same answer applies to your cameras uploading captured segments to the cloud.  As for whether this would apply within your home, that depends on how the cameras operate.  If they always go through a cloud service, then the answer would always be yes (as is the case with my Arlo service).  If they are locally accessed (by internal IP address), then no.  *Generally speaking,* if you need to go to a public web address to access your feeds (with a login), it is always consuming data when you stream/view.

<snip>

i'd add here only that the Manything app uses mpeg-4 so on a static picture there is not much to upload until motion happens and then it is pretty efficient. mpeg-4 is now superceded by the much more highly efficient HEVC (mpeg5(infomal) actually mpeg-H) that has astonishingly low bit rates .

only my 2 cams both video qualitysettings are set to (limitation of bandwidth) : "High: 20fps, 500k" which means even if it is the maximum detail change the stream is limited to that level per each camera.

Highlighted
New Poster

Data Usage Out of Control

My data usage was 250GB in April, 400GB in May, 461 in June, and 985GB in July.  I was gone on vacation for 2 weeks in July.  What the heck is going on? 

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Data Usage Out of Control

I think a big part of the problem is that comcast is now metering their service, but noone is actually verifying the accuracy of that meter. They have one third party they paid to come in and do it and then comcast released that information.

We need a good independant company to come in and do some testing to find out how accurate this thing is. My network is running a WRT1900ACS router connected to a new docsis 3.1 modem I purchased. I am running custom firmware on my WRT that allows me to see all my network usage and even break it down by device.

I have noticed so far this month that my own monitoring software on my router is much different than that on comcasts page. My router is connected directly to the modem and everything has to hit my router to access the internet.. so why is it that the gap between what I have used according to comcast and what my router says it continually getting bigger?

I want to say at like 10 days in i was showing about 65 less gigs used on my router... by 20 days it was closer to 180gigs.. didn't check it before it reset at 30 though and I don't let it log for more than 30 days to conserve memory on my router.

So this means either my router is missing traffic (lots of it) which is highly unlikely or that some other outside source(like comcast) is sending me 200+ gigs of data each month that my router is blocking. It shows upload and download data amounts for each device and in total.. so if the data was getting through I would see it.

I have actually called comcast as of last night to ask about how they verify the meter is accurate. I was provided basically no solid information on this despite having the call escalated no less than 3 times! So if we are going to be metered and charged for that overage we have EVERY right to know it is accurate and the burden of proof is on comcast here. We need a way to have this metered policed and constantly checked for authenticity, because as it stands comcast has the most to gain by a inflated meter.

Highlighted
Contributor

great point... and why should xfinty streaming app on my roku tv (in beta) should count against us... its comcast's network it shouldn't go out to the internet.. its comcast's servers

Highlighted
Expert

@Tgrable1 wrote:

I think a big part of the problem is that comcast is now metering their service, but noone is actually verifying the accuracy of that meter. They have one third party they paid to come in and do it and then comcast released that information.

We need a good independant company to come in and do some testing to find out how accurate this thing is. My network is running a WRT1900ACS router connected to a new docsis 3.1 modem I purchased. I am running custom firmware on my WRT that allows me to see all my network usage and even break it down by device.

I have noticed so far this month that my own monitoring software on my router is much different than that on comcasts page. My router is connected directly to the modem and everything has to hit my router to access the internet.. so why is it that the gap between what I have used according to comcast and what my router says it continually getting bigger?

I want to say at like 10 days in i was showing about 65 less gigs used on my router... by 20 days it was closer to 180gigs.. didn't check it before it reset at 30 though and I don't let it log for more than 30 days to conserve memory on my router.

So this means either my router is missing traffic (lots of it) which is highly unlikely or that some other outside source(like comcast) is sending me 200+ gigs of data each month that my router is blocking. It shows upload and download data amounts for each device and in total.. so if the data was getting through I would see it.

I have actually called comcast as of last night to ask about how they verify the meter is accurate. I was provided basically no solid information on this despite having the call escalated no less than 3 times! So if we are going to be metered and charged for that overage we have EVERY right to know it is accurate and the burden of proof is on comcast here. We need a way to have this metered policed and constantly checked for authenticity, because as it stands comcast has the most to gain by a inflated meter.

each device (set top box) in the home also has a DOCSIS modem that can use apps (internet) and that usage is metered and charged too (for example Netflix).

Highlighted
Contributor

You are 100% correct, however noone in my house uses the X1 box for netflix. The main reason for this is it does not have 4k support and since that functionality is built in to my tv it is just more convenient to use it there.

So thank you for point that out, but unfortunately that is not what is causing the data usage discrepancies. I honestly just feel like the meter isn't very accurate or there is a lot of background data being counted to and from the modem that shouldn't be. I mean those are basically the only two options at this point and both of them are equally alarming.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Tgrable1 wrote:

You are 100% correct, however noone in my house uses the X1 box for netflix. The main reason for this is it does not have 4k support and since that functionality is built in to my tv it is just more convenient to use it there.

So thank you for point that out, but unfortunately that is not what is causing the data usage discrepancies. I honestly just feel like the meter isn't very accurate or there is a lot of background data being counted to and from the modem that shouldn't be. I mean those are basically the only two options at this point and both of them are equally alarming.

IF you are using Netflix with a network connection rather than with the X1 app, then the 4K traffic is probably being charged against your 1TB limit.  Does

Netflix web site have any kind of meter?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote: ... IF you are using Netflix with a network connection rather than with the X1 app, then the 4K traffic is probably being charged against your 1TB limit. ...

Netflix ALWAYS counts against the data limit, X1 or no X1.

From https://www.xfinity.com/netflix :

Netflix on X1 uses your Internet service and will count against any XFINITY data plan.

Highlighted
Contributor

Yes, Bruce is correct the data usage of netflix counts against your limit regardless of the source. Anything that is not either Comcast Phone or TV counts against your limit.

That being said I have been monitoring my usage with my routers firmware and I do see a descrepancy in what I am actually using vs what comcasts meter claims. It starts small, but by the end of the month it can be a 200 gig difference in what my actual usage is vs what comcast claims it is.

So like I have said the meter comcast is using is either faulty and reporting incorrect or inflated numbers.. or they are counting a lot of background noise that never actually enters my network. I honestly think it is time for an independant company to investigate the accuracy of their meter and report back. Imagine the backlash if we find out the numbers ARE being inflate or the meter isn't actually that accurate.. how many people have probably paid overage fees because of it?

Also why is the cap the same regardless of the connection speed? 

Why sell me a connection at say 250/mb that I can download full out for only about 9hrs 45min before I go over my cap?

I mean even a 25mb connection would go over the cap in 97hr 45min of full out usage.

As it stands they want to charge me $10 per 50gig chunk after 1tb... yet all those months I am under do I see a credit back? Do they let me roll over that unused portion? Maybe the cap should be 6tb in a rolling 6 month period?

These caps are a step back in terms of access to technology.

• Penalizes digital purchases
  • Makes backing up of data to the cloud too costly
  • Makes streaming video/music less appealing
  • Makes 4k content harder to justify (with the huge amounts of data it consumes)
  • Makes people more stingy with letting friends/family on their connection even on a guest network

People should beable to pay a fixed rate and enjoy their connection without having to stress over data and babysit a data meter. You claim very few people consume this much data, but I have not seen any actual proof of that being true. I also know that with the release of more and more 4k content and digital games than ever.. this will only make data usage increase exponentialy.

Let me be brutally honest. If I had ANY other options for my bandwidth needs I would have jumped ship a long time ago. I am now getting close to that point with centurylink and USI bringing Fiber closer and closer to my doorstep. I am sick and tired of comcast's greedy practices. I mean just last month my bill went up 40 bucks because of their changing of tax, fees, and etc. A 40 dollar a month increase and my service is exactly the same. These are the type of price hikes and practices we have come to accept and expect from comcast. THAT is the problem.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Data Usage

Can you explain why higher speeds increase your usage?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Data Usage

@Rxn wrote:

Can you explain why higher speeds increase your usage?

In some cases (i.e Twitch, Netflix, etc), the option of "default quality" will increase your quality to match the available bandwidth, unless otherwise specified in the settings, resulting in higher usage, due to the higher speeds.

Which is why I said that if everyone wants to be safe, buy a 10MBps connection, unless you're willing to give Comcast their pound of flesh they're looking for (+$50.00).

Just plain evil...  But what are you going to do?  They have been the most hated company in America for the past decade, and what have they done about it?  Given people MORE reasons to hate them.  All I can say about that is:  Respect.  They are the pinnacle of "Thug Life."  And now they want us to give them our mobile business?  Not bloody likely...

Highlighted
Contributor

You claim very few people consume this much data, but I have not seen any actual proof of that being true.

I'm just one, hardly proof, but my highest ever usage  was 525g and a 6 month average works out around 225g-250g. Internet only, Netflix, Amozon Prime streaming and a OTA antenna. To me a TB is more than reasonable, but do not understand why a cap is even needed, if it is truly only 1% are "heavy/power users" then they should offer a plan specific to the 1%, not handcuff the 99%. Of course if they did that, it would end up making them a lot less money. In the end, as we all know, it is nothing more than a extra "fee" they can charge to make money.

OTH, do agree with why offer HS connections, 250d as example that can't be used at capacity for the full month.

@Tgrable1 wrote:

That being said I have been monitoring my usage with my routers firmware and I do see a descrepancy in what I am actually using vs what comcasts meter claims. It starts small, but by the end of the month it can be a 200 gig difference in what my actual usage is vs what comcast claims it is.

So like I have said the meter comcast is using is either faulty and reporting incorrect or inflated numbers.. or they are counting a lot of background noise that never actually enters my network. I honestly think it is time for an independant company to investigate the accuracy of their meter and report back. Imagine the backlash if we find out the numbers ARE being inflate or the meter isn't actually that accurate.. how many people have probably paid overage fees because of it?

I agree, but really it's going to take a class action lawsuit and years for anything to change, if then. Even then, if found to be doing wrong,  they will be hit with a couple 100 million fine, pay back pennies on the $'s they took in and keep the billions? they made of of it.  

But alas, my only competition in my area is HughesNet, offering a 25D/3U,a 50G soft cap, after exceeding that, your DL/UL cut in 1/2 for the rest of the month. Not a really good choice.

Highlighted
Contributor

You basically hit the nail on the head.

I guess I just want more data to support their claim that only 1% of people go over the 1tb cap. I know that amongst my friends most of us have problems with it.. so maybe we are all that 1%? That being said I want to know when this data was collected. 5 years ago? I just don't think they claim that most people use less than 250gigs is realistic as digital content has become even more popular and common place. This problem is only going to get worse as time goes on.. no better.

Also I would be less bothered by this cap if it was a equal exchange. Why not offer those that use less than 50% of their cap a $25 credit each month? I mean the limit ONLY benefits comcast. It isn't there to help them better their network or because they are having congestion problems. It is there as just another way for them to bleed customers. For example if I pay 40+ more a month for a faster connection why am I still having to pay another premium to actually use it without hitting my cap? The whole system is flawed.

One last thing to add to this post. I was just curious how much data I would consume if I was to use my connection full out for 8hrs a day for a month... that would come up to 25.5tb at 250mb download speed.

If I was to use my connection fully for 24/7 for a month I would consume around 80TB of data. So 1/80 = .0125 or  1.25% of what my connection is capable of.  So Comcast is selling me a connection speed that I can only use 1.25% of before I am penalized for it. How is that even legal?

Highlighted
Contributor

@Tgrable1 wrote:

You basically hit the nail on the head.

I guess I just want more data to support their claim that only 1% of people go over the 1tb cap. I know that amongst my friends most of us have problems with it.. so maybe we are all that 1%? That being said I want to know when this data was collected. 5 years ago? I just don't think they claim that most people use less than 250gigs is realistic as digital content has become even more popular and common place. This problem is only going to get worse as time goes on.. no better.

The 1% claim takes into account every account, by every individual, in their network.  It's still a questionable number, but you have to remember that many people still view the internet as a place to simply check their email, and connect their phone when they get home.  Some examples of this would be all of my 60+ year old relatives.  The "power users," as they would call them, are people that rely on the internet for their entertainment, gaming, work, streaming, and backups.

Their 99% claim is derived from the data gathered on users that would be content with an early 2000's AOL connection.  

Another thing that would be interesting to see is what year their statistic comes from.  Recent changes to entertainment, like 4k video, and the push to move all gaming, and applications, to digital distribution, as well as broadcasting becoming more common, really draws their numbers into question.  Within the next 5 years, I'd predict that, barring everyone keeping it low tech to placate caps, the 99% will be over the 1TB number.

And I think Comcast knows this, so they are getting ahead of it by implementing the $50 tier, which they are aiming for everyone to eventually be on this price hike.

Highlighted
Contributor

I just updated that post to do the math and it is actually more alarming than I thought it would be.

At 250mb download.. I can consume about 80TB in a month. So if you take that 80tb and divide it by the cap of 1tb you come to 1.25%.  That means I can only use 1.25% of my theoretical capacity of my connection each month without being penalized for it. That is so corrupt I don't even know where to begin.

So my 24/7 connection speed for a month if I did not want to go over my cap would be 3.125mb/s. Yet I am paying for a 250mb connection. 

Now that centurylink has removed their caps that means even their slower 25/mb connections are still a better option that comcast from a usage pespective. So while comcast does have faster speeds than DSL.. if you take into consideration the speed you would need to use for 24/7 usage to stay within your cap... they are FAR behind.

Highlighted
Contributor

@Tgrable1 wrote:

I just updated that post to do the math and it is actually more alarming than I thought it would be.

At 250mb download.. I can consume about 80TB in a month. So if you take that 80tb and divide it by the cap of 1tb you come to 1.25%.  That means I can only use 1.25% of my theoretical capacity of my connection each month without being penalized for it. That is so corrupt I don't even know where to begin.

So my 24/7 connection speed for a month if I did not want to go over my cap would be 3.125mb/s. Yet I am paying for a 250mb connection. 

Yep, and do the math on getting a pricey 1Gbps connection.  It's even more hilarious:  2 HOURS (~0.3% potential)

Highlighted
Contributor

Yet they claim they are the best VALUE around. Talk about highway robbery.

Highlighted
Contributor

It's all relative.  When you take my city that has two internet companies, and one of those being CenturyLink DSL (for all intents and purposes, is useless), they are the ONLY deal in town, thereby making them the "best value."  They can make these seemingly egregious claims, because there's no competition in many cities.  My state voted to remove the ban on municipal internet across nearly every city, but this should have been done 5 years ago (hindsight being 20/20, as they probably didn't expect Comcast to enact these sort of restrictions, and rate hikes).  There's a big push to remove Comcast across this state, but that's a tall order that takes at least 3-5 years to complete.

In the meantime, Comcast is making the powerplay to ensure they have their hayday, prior to being stomped into the ground. Expect to see offers for long term contracts, when competition looks like it will be a viable threat.

Also expect to see massive hikes in entertainment (TV) when that becomes more commonplace.  Because if they can't lock you into their internet service, they need to compensate those losses somehow.  As for DirectTV, and Dish, they will just follow the gravy train, instead of fiscally competing.

Highlighted
Expert

@jambat wrote:

great point... and why should xfinty streaming app on my roku tv (in beta) should count against us... its comcast's network it shouldn't go out to the internet.. its comcast's servers

in-home stream app on Roku is zero-rated (not counted). any use of the Roku for other streaming would count.

Highlighted
Contributor

@Tgrable1 wrote:

So like I have said the meter comcast is using is either faulty and reporting incorrect or inflated numbers.. or they are counting a lot of background noise that never actually enters my network.

I agree something seems to be fishy given the amount of people that seem to have sudden surges in traffic or differences in metering.  However if you are going to try and do your own metering to compare you need to be sure it's done in a way that's comparible.  Essentially that means metering the traffic that's seen at your routers WAN port regardless of whether or not it makes it through the firewall and to your actual devices.  Anything that crosses the modem is going to be counted by comcast so you need to do the same. 

My router's meter is setup that way and so far it's been pretty accurate to comcast's, usually slightly higher since comcast does zero-rate some of their traffic. 

And I think Comcast knows this, so they are getting ahead of it by implementing the $50 tier, which they are aiming for everyone to eventually be on this price hike.

Indeed, I'm sure that comcast is fully aware that far more than 1% will be over their caps in the next few years. After all, that figure is just for those who use less.  How many are in the 8-900GB range and would be pushed over the limit soon as more stuff goes digital? Quite a few I'd imagine (and they probably don't even know it).  Right now it's easy for a lot of people to just go *Meh, doesn't affect me* regarding the cap/fee, but they will be singing a different tune in a couple years.

I was one of those 8-900GB people, but I knew from the moment I heard comcast was even thinking of a cap I'd likely be forced to pay up.  After it went into effect I tried for a few months to babysit the meter and stay under but eventually just had to cave.  Between the number of people living here and the fact that I work from home and need the connection it's not pratical to babysit it and keep it under.  Adding online backups to my work pc is what finally pushed me over, and I'm not going not back up my stuff just to stay under a cap.

Now that I'm paying for unlimited I'm going to use it to the fullest extent I can. Might as well right?  So I've opened up my media server to a few extra people, host stuff on bittorrent (nothing illegal), run a bitcoin node, full online backups, stream HD, etc.  Hitting 2-2.5 TB regularly.  I've been keeping my eye out for any viable alternative here as well.  If/when one shows up I'll be jumping ship.  So far the only alternative is Century Link. I gave them a try for a month, their service is pitiful compare to comcast.