Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

data usage

I wish comcast have a way for us to find out which website is using the most data.

I went over my data limit and having a hard time tracking it down.

It could be a virus in my network or it could be one of the sites I visit

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Inaccurate Data Usage concern

@dudeinco wrote:

Ha!  Which brings us round robin to whether they get secretly charged for it or not.

I'm betting a class action will arise from this eventually.  All it takes is one aggressive virus, or proving their calculations are wrong, coupled by a few hundred thousand people getting charged $200 overage fees, and it will be a nation-wide catastrophe for Comcast.  But I'd bet they wouldn't care.  Being rated the #1 most hated company on the planet for the last decade hasn't changed their mind about their consistant necessity for securing that position.

The ONLY way you can change this is by imploring your local government to action.  Our state had the majority of the counties vote to remove the ban on municipal internet (overwhelmingly) over the past 5 or so years.  In 10 years, XFinity internet will be a third class citizen in this state.

And what is it really all about?  I get they want to kill their competition (Netflix, Vudu, etc.), but why?  I pay for their bundle, and I even pay for a premium channel.  I'm not attempting to "buck" their system, or get the same content for free...

That would take months if not years.  

I am still searching for an explanation other than Comcast's "meter' is broken for some reason.

Until then, the "broken meter" is the closest explanation.  And those who suspect they have a "broken menter" need to work wilth Comcast customer service.  We don't seem to have a solution for the issue in this forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

For that, I would recommend using YOUR OWN modem (can be purchased for ~$89), and a competent router (e.g. R7000), and logging your usage.  I could do this, as I own these, but I doubt it would shed light on the subject.  I'd bet the problem is more along the lines of XFinity routers, as they do all sorts of odd things (like share internet with neighbors and pedestrians).  

I may do it as an experiment anyhow, just to see.  If I do, I will report the findings back, but it would be hard to sync results perfectly with their monthly cycle (I'm sure there are delays).

However, if using the neighbor's wifi doesn't count against you, and you can confirm this, I may run some experiments on that as well to prove it out.  My guess, however, is if this is true, Comcast will patch it eventually...  

Contributor

However, if using the neighbor's wifi doesn't count against you, and you can confirm this, I may run some experiments on that as well to prove it out.  My guess, however, is if this is true, Comcast will patch it eventually...  

Using a nearby xfinitywifi to avoid usage charges does work, that's been proven by myself and others already.  What's still up in the air afaik is whether or not the xfinitywifi traffic is charged against the person hosting the hotspot.  That'd require working with someone or having two separate lines to find out I imagine. 

The best way to try and match up the data usage with their online meter is to set your router to the UTC timezone.  I just switched mine to that this month and so far it's pretty close, even with their possible delay.  Right now my meter is reading 471GB and comcast is reading 456GB.  I use anywhere between 55 and 75GB a day so the difference is within the potential margin of error due to delay.

However even when I was measuring in eastern time I was still pretty close by the end of the month, within 15GB usually, since the difference between eastern and UTC is only a few hours.

Contributor

Good to know.  I don't think my neighbors are savy enough (or wanting enough) to run the experiments with me, and I'm unsure which direction the signal is coming from.  I'd be hesitant to burn through GBs of data, using the signal, however, as I'm not in a hurry to screw over my neighbors.  

It is good to hear that their meter is relatively close (sans the question of "borrowing" data from neighbors).  I'd recommend to anyone having egregious usage to get their own equipment, or get a Comcast modem without WiFi...

But XFinity can still rot for implementing 1TB caps Smiley Happy

New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@dudeinco wrote:

And then they wonder why in our state, they implemented Gigabit service, but hardly any takers.  When you could perceivably eat through your allotment in 2 hours, what's the point?  

Here's some facts:  If you had 2Mbps and ran it constantly, you'd hit your cap.  So essentially, we are paying for 2Mbps, but able to use it up over a vastly shorter amount of time.

I have 2 live cams recording to the cloud on 24/7 and with all the streaming etc I rarely go over 300gb/month. 

There is another post, maybe in Terabyte Data Usage thread, that complained of extremely high usage and later posted that he found the had left his cam on 24/7 and with it off, his usage went back to normal. That does not match you usage report.

New Poster

data limit

How do I find the data limit on my Internet account?

Expert

Re: data limit

@jkxray wrote:

How do I find the data limit on my Internet account?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-plan/

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@mefs wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@dudeinco wrote:

And then they wonder why in our state, they implemented Gigabit service, but hardly any takers.  When you could perceivably eat through your allotment in 2 hours, what's the point?  

Here's some facts:  If you had 2Mbps and ran it constantly, you'd hit your cap.  So essentially, we are paying for 2Mbps, but able to use it up over a vastly shorter amount of time.

I have 2 live cams recording to the cloud on 24/7 and with all the streaming etc I rarely go over 300gb/month. 

There is another post, maybe in Terabyte Data Usage thread, that complained of extremely high usage and later posted that he found the had left his cam on 24/7 and with it off, his usage went back to normal. That does not match you usage report.

I posted the frame rate and max stream rate, it is encoded in mpeg4 so much of the image is still since no motion, mpeg4 would not resend new frames until a change is detected even though it is live streamed.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

For the last several years all the services i subscribe to including comcast, have been pushing all this "High Deffinition" content, the TV's we use all have to HD and the quality is marginaly better on  the average 50 inch TV. Now that we have all upgraded and geared up with our equipment at considerable cost, comes the Data Cap. Give me back my old tube type TV, your HD is not worth the cost. 

I was able to keep my data usage down last month, but this month the Grandkids are all off on spring break, and thankfully they visit often. Now I am faced with this data cap issue, I need to watch it like a hawk to make sure I don't let the kids watch to much netflix. 

I think it's really crappy, dose Comcast really want their long time client's focusing on the amount of data they consume? Do Netflix and Amazon Prime, Hulu and even xfinity on demand want the average client to say, wow that new TV show really looks good and I can't wait to watch it, Or do they want us to say, I can't afford the data this month! 

Were 1 TB of data might have been an enormous amout a couple short years ago, it's not even close now. I would think that as the days pass, the list of Comcast clients with this terrible issue will multiply exponetialy. Data Cap's should not be allowed in area's where there is no alturnative for High Speed Internet. It's a strangle hold or a monopoly situation and I need to find out what can be done about it?

Expert

for the grand kids' months the extra is about $10 for extra 50 GB or $50 more for unlimited. 

Contributor

Which is a shameless cash grab...

https://www.extremetech.com/internet/237465-comcast-rolls-out-1tb-cap-to-more-markets-hit-with-2-3-m...

http://time.com/money/4150473/comcast-data-caps-fcc-complaints/

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4h70ah/comcast_raises_data_cap_to_1tb/?st=j3um00vd&sh=f...

More to the point:

https://www.freepress.net/sites/default/files/resources/Comcast%20New%20Caps%20Factsheet_FINAL.pdf

There is no solution, outside of pressing US Congress, and your local government to remove the stranglehold....  Or pay?  I highly recommend pushing your counties, cities, and states to start taking municipal broadband seriously.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Survey-Comcast-Remains-Americas-MostHated-Company-138694

The point:  Comcast is ethically indefensible, but they just don't care...  

As a background, some areas rolled out 300GB caps a few years back.  They were convinced that by enacting egregious caps, then expanding them, the country would thank them for their medieval mindset.  That's not quite how it worked out...

Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

for the grand kids' months the extra is about $10 for extra 50 GB or $50 more for unlimited. 

Rustyben, Thank you for the response. Do you yourself think it seams right that a long time (well over 20 years) client who has been paying full price for tripple play with ZERO discounts ever, is just asked to start paying more? Just once in 20 years I'd like to have been told that because your already a tripple play custmer you wont have to pay anything additional. But instead I get X1 boxes forced down my throat that have half the channels listed as free On_Demand but are really not free, you have to pay for the data!

I know it sounds like I am just venting, truth be told, I am really just an average guy who wants to watch what he wants to watch when he wants to watch it, I don't want to stare at a bandwidth gauge, I don't want to tell my family they can't play their new console game, or update the Windows 10 for the 4th time in two months, or watch one of the streaming packages that I pay hard earned money for but can no longer use. That's right, I pay Comcast for TV, Internet and Phone, I pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu, I buy Pay per veiw content,  How can it be possible that I am not already paying enough? Now I have to pay more, and when will it end? How long will it be before Comcast say's the New $50 unlimited package is not unlimited but capped at 2TB or 3?

Contributor

Don't sweat it. All of us are in the same boat, with the exception of Ben. I'm unsure what his vested interest in Comcast is, but I suspect there's something there. No one could be legitimately pleased, or accept this extortion, unless they were somehow close to the source.
Expert

@dudeinco wrote:
Don't sweat it. All of us are in the same boat, with the exception of Ben. I'm unsure what his vested interest in Comcast is, but I suspect there's something there. No one could be legitimately pleased, or accept this extortion, unless they were somehow close to the source.

with 32 years of retail experience, I know price and 'package sizes' change. Nature of the beast, capitalism and all. future of 'tv' is streaming and Comcast is moving toward it. I am glad they zero-rate all the internet traffic that is 'in-house' or I'd be over 20 TB / month. and Comcast doesn't charge a fee for delivering over the internet the video recordings to my cell phone. 

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

I am glad they zero-rate all the internet traffic that is 'in-house'

Comcast doesn't charge a fee for delivering over the internet the video recordings to my cell phone. 

1 - are you referring to using the public hotspot 'xfinitywifi' and where can I find proof of not being charged for use on that 

2 - and please clarify exactly what you are saying

Expert

@rdj64 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

Comcast doesn't charge a fee for delivering over the internet the video recordings to my cell phone. 

1 - are you referring to using the public hotspot 'xfinitywifi' and where can I find proof of not being charged for use on that 

on 1, it is data delivered from Comcast's server to my cell phone's (and tethered tablets) via T-Mobile (Comcast delivers the content data bytes charge free from them). T-Mobile is unlimited.

2. if that's not clear, I am at a loss to give more detail. I often do use xfinitywifi hotspots as they are available in many places we travel.

Contributor

"Capitalism" and "Free Enterprise" requires viable competition to be beneficial to society.  Having packages and offerings change is "normal," yes.  What is not normal is reducing service, and increasing prices, while overhead for those services continue to drop exponentially.  That is NOT competing, and can only happen in a monopolistic scenario.

And if you're curious why I would be so adament over their destruction (aside from their business practices being flat-out ethically reprehensible), I am a developer, and fully realize the implications of the actions that Comcast has unleashed on this country.  For decades, they have been holding us back in comparison to Europe with their lackluster speeds, and hesitation to upgrade their systems, and have been empowered by their regional government sanctioned monopolies.  Now that they are starting to gain traction on getting caught up with other first world cultures, they limit progress with bandwidth caps.  Comcast is stifling the advancement of this country, technologically, and have done so for decades.  They are afraid of progress, because they are afraid the future doesn't involve them.  They have opted to enact non-competitive practices, rather than compete, to ensure their placement moving forward (which mind you, this is a temporary solution that will ultimately lead to their demise in the future).

As a software engineer of 20+ years, I am FIRMLY, and WHOLE-HEARTEDLY against ANY corporation that seeks to inhibit the technological progress of the United States for their own personal, and selfish gain.  

Into the nitty gritty, and pointed out before (leaving out the political ramifications):  If you pay for 1Gbps, you don't pay for 1Gbps for two hours.  You paid for 1Gbps bandwidth on demand, for any purpose.  And as stated before, "bandwidth" is limited, data is not.  If they can't support their bandwidth allotted to the people (which is a lie, anyhow), then it sounds like they are overselling their infrastructure by offering higher speeds than they have the capabilities for.  That sounds like a THEM problem, not a ME problem (and if you investigate, it's really a NON-problem, as their "trials" of unlimited bandwidth proved beyond any reasonable doubt).

Back to the political:  If Comcast spent half the money they used lobbying to ensuring the quality of service, and enacting proper, and ethical decisions with their networks, this thread, and the outrage, wouldn't even exist.  But, don't count on that ever happening.  This greedy company is working hand in hand with the government (lobbying like a madman) to ensure that not only do they charge the user for their bandwidth, then charge them for the data they use (no, it's not "enough?"), but now they are even working on charging companies on different networks, to deliver their content to us, at the speeds promised to us in our agreements!!!  (The current FCC scandal - if they don't pay, we would get their content at lower speeds - e.g. "Fast lanes" and "Slow lanes")

This is probably the most ethically bankrupt, unabashedly brazen, and unapologetic company in America.

(with this much influence on the current state, and future, of the country ...for now...)

Expert

@dudeinco wrote:

"Capitalism" and "Free Enterprise" requires viable competition to be beneficial to society.  Having packages and offerings change is "normal," yes.  What is not normal is reducing service, and increasing prices, while overhead for those services continue to drop exponentially.  That is NOT competing, and can only happen in a monopolistic scenario.

And if you're curious why I would be so adament over their destruction (aside from their business practices being flat-out ethically reprehensible), I am a developer, and fully realize the implications of the actions that Comcast has unleashed on this country.  For decades, they have been holding us back in comparison to Europe with their lackluster speeds, and hesitation to upgrade their systems, and have been empowered by their regional government sanctioned monopolies.  Now that they are starting to gain traction on getting caught up with other first world cultures, they limit progress with bandwidth caps.  Comcast is stifling the advancement of this country, technologically, and have done so for decades.  They are afraid of progress, because they are afraid the future doesn't involve them.  They have opted to enact non-competitive practices, rather than compete, to ensure their placement moving forward (which mind you, this is a temporary solution that will ultimately lead to their demise in the future).

As a software engineer of 20+ years, I am FIRMLY, and WHOLE-HEARTEDLY against ANY corporation that seeks to inhibit the technological progress of the United States for their own personal, and selfish gain.  

Into the nitty gritty, and pointed out before (leaving out the political ramifications):  If you pay for 1Gbps, you don't pay for 1Gbps for two hours.  You paid for 1Gbps bandwidth on demand, for any purpose.  And as stated before, "bandwidth" is limited, data is not.  If they can't support their bandwidth allotted to the people (which is a lie, anyhow), then it sounds like they are overselling their infrastructure by offering higher speeds than they have the capabilities for.  That sounds like a THEM problem, not a ME problem (and if you investigate, it's really a NON-problem, as their "trials" of unlimited bandwidth proved beyond any reasonable doubt).

Back to the political:  If Comcast spent half the money they used lobbying to ensuring the quality of service, and enacting proper, and ethical decisions with their networks, this thread, and the outrage, wouldn't even exist.  But, don't count on that ever happening.  This greedy company is working hand in hand with the government (lobbying like a madman) to ensure that not only do they charge the user for their bandwidth, then charge them for the data they use (no, it's not "enough?"), but now they are even working on charging companies on different networks, to deliver their content to us, at the speeds promised to us in our agreements!!!  (The current FCC scandal - if they don't pay, we would get their content at lower speeds - e.g. "Fast lanes" and "Slow lanes")

This is probably the most ethically bankrupt, unabashedly brazen, and unapologetic company in America.

(with this much influence on the current state, and future, of the country ...for now...)

Wired and fiber 'cable' TV services has almost universally been a government-regulated entity and usually monopolistic due to the capital equipment and plant that must be installed and maintained to provide the services. Capitalistic in this case refers to that investment and maintenance for the income that residents pay on a voluntary basis. Anyone is free to speak to their local governmental body. As a customer like you, I was very sad to see the ability to record a program that would include any time available in the buffer, in the loss of true frame-by-frame, the inability to use outboard storage, the 'swap' with buffers on all tuners still running, picture-in-picture with 2 live channels, and probably more. I feel 'our' pain as TiVo keeps enforcing their patents that cause removal of DVR recording and trick-play features. But that is business and law. As the patents expire perhaps Comcast will add the features back. Last I read Tivo's patents related to DVR features expire during this year and 2018. Time will tell. (I subscribe to 'TiVo' on Google news and get hundreds of articles and links a week). Re: speeds, I'm stuck in the 'blast' of 75mb down while others are twice that or more. I do realize based on DSL reports that Comcast is moving toward an IP network (away from QAM used for linear TV channels) and DOCSIS 3.1 equipment upgrades of the network. This is a major expense as well as changing from mpeg2 to mpeg4 for coding to reduce network traffic. The requirements for data for the UHD/4k/8k is a tremendous task and Comcast seems to be sparing no expense to provide for the future. You stated that bandwidth is unlimited I'm guessing you just mis-spoke. All data pipes are limited in that just so much data can flow through a 'pipe'. The selling of that pipe capacity is what the various speed tiers of service is all about (speed and quantity). This is no different from a car company having engine size options or gas tank size. I was glad to move to 1000 GB cap from a 300 GB cap on my purchased service level. I would have no problem paying more if I exceed the caps (after 2 free month courtesy extensions of data over 1 T or converting to unlimited for $50/month or whatever the current rate is for that unlimited service. I recently moved from AT&T mobile to T-mobile to get unlimited and no fees per account/line for just the reasons you listed at the beginning of your post. MSO's don't normally work in a competitive environment due to the major facility expense. I'll let your last two paragraphs go without comment as they are all 'your opinion'.

Contributor

1.  When your bill is over $200 per month already, and you have to fight every couple of months with them, just to keep it there... $50 addtional per month, just to get the bandwidth promised to begin with, is neither reasonable, nor ethical.

2.  I stated bandwidth was limited, and data is unlimited.  This is a factual statement.  And you making excuses for the company, when it has already been proven that they are just enacting predatory pricing, due to their monopolistic status, and not due to actual necessity, is not helping your argument that Comcast is just your friendly "business as usual" company.

3.  My last paragraph is "arguably" my opinion (although nationwide polls tend to favor that "opinion").  The second to the last, is not.

4.  They played you well.  They put the ultimate strangle on you (300GB cap), then loosened your leash a little, so you would appreciate their "generous gift."  I was not conditioned the same.

It's all BS anyhow.  Our neighboring city gets 1Gbps municipal internet with no caps, and they have the promise there will never be one (as there will never need to be one, according to the city).  This internet, and promise, is all for the price of $70 per month.  So, excuse me if I don't shed tears for Comcast, and their hefty, multi-billion dollar company, that can't handle a fraction of the service that a "smaller" city can on their own...

The difference between your TiVo box, and Comcast, is that your TiVo isn't a modern necessity, but your internet is.  Your ability to skip commercials, or the manner in which you do so, is a far cry from your ability to telecomute, communicate, protect, and entertain, your family.  You can also ditch TiVo, and go with a different box.  And... TiVo isn't a monopoly, incorporating non-competitive practices.  Comcast is all of the above.

At the end of the day, on the topic at hand, I'd state Comcast is practicing false advertising.  They advertised I could purchase 1Gbps of bandwidth, billed per month, for that bandwidth, but what they are really selling is 2 hours @ 1Gbps with a mountain of surchages, or a $50 monthly fee, if I exceed that.

I know you are trying hard, but you cannot justify Comcast's actions.  No one can.  Studies have been done, the people have spoken, and the simple fact is that their actions are indefensible.  Yes, I am one of the people that is pushing the agenda to push them out in my city (I bet you're shocked).  I voted, and I will continue to support my city in removing this cancer from our society.

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@rdj64 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

on 1, it is data delivered from Comcast's server to my cell phone's (and tethered tablets) via T-Mobile (Comcast delivers the content data bytes charge free from them). T-Mobile is unlimited.

2. if that's not clear, I am at a loss to give more detail. I often do use xfinitywifi hotspots as they are available in many places we travel.

what the heck does this have to do with the Xfinity data use cap then? you are happy that T-Mobile is unlimited so you can watch video's on your phone for free....ooookkkk

I really don't understand what your motivation is in this thread, you have the ridiculous "I don't work for Comcast" disclaimer signature, but you are clearly being compensated in some way to come into these threads and offer what you think is a calming voice of reason, and golly gee how lucky we all are that Comcast allows us to pay them.

there are two real concerns in this thread and no one has offered any answers, other than working with comcast tech over the phone. And I know first hand that is an exercise in futility. NO ONE can answer why my data jumped 3x from March to April. 

the other issue is there is no way of deciphering what device is using this increased three fold data. I have 14-15 devices on our home network but have no way of knowing where this increase came from. As of June 3 I had used over 250 GB, today I show having used 406 GB. In March I used 530, Jan and Feb were less than 500.

I just am failing to see your personal antedotes of your home use and thinly veiled defense of Comcast does anyhting other than increase the ire of customers who feel they are being ripped off

Expert

@rdj64 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@rdj64 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

what the heck does this have to do with the Xfinity data use cap then? you are happy that T-Mobile is unlimited so you can watch video's on your phone for free....ooookkkk

I really don't understand what your motivation is in this thread, you have the ridiculous "I don't work for Comcast" disclaimer signature, but you are clearly being compensated in some way to come into these threads and offer what you think is a calming voice of reason, and golly gee how lucky we all are that Comcast allows us to pay them.

there are two real concerns in this thread and no one has offered any answers, other than working with comcast tech over the phone. And I know first hand that is an exercise in futility. NO ONE can answer why my data jumped 3x from March to April. 

the other issue is there is no way of deciphering what device is using this increased three fold data. I have 14-15 devices on our home network but have no way of knowing where this increase came from. As of June 3 I had used over 250 GB, today I show having used 406 GB. In March I used 530, Jan and Feb were less than 500.

I just am failing to see your personal antedotes of your home use and thinly veiled defense of Comcast does anyhting other than increase the ire of customers who feel they are being ripped off

I answered your numbered questions in a just previous post. That's the reason for the reply. to your question, no. I am happy comcast does not charge for delivering content at hotels or xfinitywifi hotspots or to my cell connected device at no charge not counting the bytes in my data bucket. I am not compensated and "I calls them as I sees them". If you want a 'me too' chorus you won't find that here. Comcast provides excellent customer service to the customers here when they are needed. You are free to rant keeping in mind the language used as per the guidelines. 

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@rdj64 wrote:

I answered your numbered questions in a just previous post. That's the reason for the reply. to your question, no. I am happy comcast does not charge for delivering content at hotels or xfinitywifi hotspots or to my cell connected device at no charge not counting the bytes in my data bucket. I am not compensated and "I calls them as I sees them". If you want a 'me too' chorus you won't find that here. Comcast provides excellent customer service to the customers here when they are needed. You are free to rant keeping in mind the language used as per the guidelines. 

wow...I don't think I could make my point any clearer than you just did in your reply. Enjoy that free xfinitywifi at your next hotel stay!

New Poster

band width and usage limits

We have family members that use netflixs in there rooms or amazon video. Now I am told we have a limit on usage. 1028 is the cap. we hit 800 in the first 2 weeks. so no more late movies on those apps.

what a shame.  the VALUE of this service just went way down. Am I the only one that did not know this?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: band width and usage limits

@ebb0ts wrote:

We have family members that use netflixs in there rooms or amazon video. Now I am told we have a limit on usage. 1028 is the cap. we hit 800 in the first 2 weeks. so no more late movies on those apps.

what a shame.  the VALUE of this service just went way down. Am I the only one that did not know this?

I received an email about the change in policy.  I don't think everyone did.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Contributor

@dudeinco wrote:

Rustyben is also a strong defender of Comcast's new policy of the degradation of TV display resolution to 720p over in the X1 forum.  There's no way he doesn't have an alterior motive in his posts.

Silver Problem Solver

@jth182 wrote:

@dudeinco wrote:

Rustyben is also a strong defender of Comcast's new policy of the degradation of TV display resolution to 720p over in the X1 forum.  There's no way he doesn't have an alterior motive in his posts.

I strongly disagree; Rusty is only trying to help people here.

Expert

how about an actual explanation with demonstration deomonstration.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvh0iH2xSg

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

how about an actual explanation with deomonstration.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avvh0iH2xSg

Shouldn't this be on a video page, what does it have to with our data usage. 

Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@jth182 wrote:

@dudeinco wrote:

You may be right, as I don't know personally...  I find the majority of his posts I have read to be defensive damage control of Comcast's poor choices, degredation of service, and shady business practices.

Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

@jth182 wrote:

@dudeinco wrote:

Then again... you do carry his signature line...  The plot thickens...  You, at a minimum, have relations to Rusty that would present a conflict of interest in your opinion of what he is doing here.   Dun dun dunnnnn...  lol.

So, if you guys want to play (or are) the shills, I have a few pro-tips:

1.  Don't mimic signatures, then defend each other.  That makes seeing through the ruse too easy.

2.  Consider sock puppets.  Sock puppets allow you to back yourself up, and hit each other up with 'kudos,' while the community is none the wiser.  Change your speach patterns as well, and look for unique wording you commonly use, and avoid it.  (like this: '...' could give you away).

3.  Don't always defend.  Talk down the individuals, while seemingly being on their side.  Much like a hostage negotiator, you have to gain trust.  Validate their concerns, then gradually talk down their position.

4.  Have a good backstory, and make it believable (this is important!).  The more tears you can gain from the public, the more support you can gain for the indefensible position.

5.  Ban people like me (if you can) who are too adamant about fighting the indefensible positions.  As a certain despicable document once stated (paraphrased):  'Propaganda is intended for the masses, not the intellectuals/individuals.'

I'm all good with shills arguing that Enron was justified, and the likes, but you want to make it entertaining, and a challenge, for your intended audience.  I personally enjoy arguing a good indefensible position in the morning.  It's the second best thing to Folgers for waking up.   ...and like McDonald's, I'm loving it.  

Where I have the problem is when it is no longer a challenge, because the ruse is too thinly veiled.  It just loses all intellectual integrity, and that degrades the entertainment value.

Expert

fwiw.. we don't set the signature

Frequent Visitor

It feel's like the information in this thread is falling on deaf ears. Is there any place where a client of Comcast can voice his oppinion other than this one giant thread that "the other 90%" of people who don't have the cap can easily avoid? Some place where an actual representitive from the company might happen read it? 

Gathered together in a large group of my family members for the holiday weekend Happy Fathers Day, It's clear to see that in the more populated area's of the country where Google is avalible and multiple ISP's there are still plenty of people who love the service they get from Comcast, never heard of a data Cap, and don't have to pay extra.  So I understand it's important for Comcast to charge everyone the same, even the clients who have tripple play (Like me) have to pay the extra $50 a month in the same area, how is it fair that Comcast client's who happen to have a choice of other ISP's do not have to pay the Extra Blue collar fee? 

Expert

@ekym wrote:

It feel's like the information in this thread is falling on deaf ears. Is there any place where a client of Comcast can voice his oppinion other than this one giant thread that "the other 90%" of people who don't have the cap can easily avoid? Some place where an actual representitive from the company might happen read it? 

Gathered together in a large group of my family members for the holiday weekend Happy Fathers Day, It's clear to see that in the more populated area's of the country where Google is avalible and multiple ISP's there are still plenty of people who love the service they get from Comcast, never heard of a data Cap, and don't have to pay extra.  So I understand it's important for Comcast to charge everyone the same, even the clients who have tripple play (Like me) have to pay the extra $50 a month in the same area, how is it fair that Comcast client's who happen to have a choice of other ISP's do not have to pay the Extra Blue collar fee? 

The first post on this thread says the one TB limit is now in all of their markets.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@ekym wrote:

The first post on this thread says the one TB limit is now in all of their markets.

So my family members who just have Internet only from Comcast and stream everything do have the same extra fee, and are paying it or have never reached the Cap? 

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... The first post on this thread says the one TB limit is now in all of their markets.

No, it says the terabyte data plan is in effect in all trial markets, not all markets.

Frequent Visitor

@BruceW wrote:

Rustyben wrote: ... The first post on this thread says the one TB limit is now in all of their markets.

No, it says the terabyte data plan is in effect in all trial markets, not all markets.

It really sounds nice for them, they never have heard of this Data Cap, they just watch all the new shows on Netflix and Hulu, and slingbox, they are able to just buy the NFL streaming services and enjoy the games never having to wonder if they are going over the cap. 

Frequent Visitor

For all these years, when people would tell me to just ditch the cable TV part and stream everything, I would tell myself, no I have always paid for the TV with the tripple play, I'm watching  the shows and programming, even if I choose to stream the content rather then watch it over the Cable, I should still pay for the cable service because it is not right. All the while I'm thinking to myself, If I do the right thing and continue to pay for the services I'm using then when it comes down to it, Comcast will in turn do  the right thing, and charge those people who ditched the TV for streaming years ago the extra and I will be ahead of the game when they start charging extra to those people. 

I never would have thought it would be those of us who continued to pay the whole package even though they hardly ever watch anything live, from the cable, that would be the client's who are targeted with the extra fee. 

Contributor

@ekym wrote:

For all these years, when people would tell me to just ditch the cable TV part and stream everything, I would tell myself, no I have always paid for the TV with the tripple play, I'm watching  the shows and programming, even if I choose to stream the content rather then watch it over the Cable, I should still pay for the cable service because it is not right. All the while I'm thinking to myself, If I do the right thing and continue to pay for the services I'm using then when it comes down to it, Comcast will in turn do  the right thing, and charge those people who ditched the TV for streaming years ago the extra and I will be ahead of the game when they start charging extra to those people. 

I never would have thought it would be those of us who continued to pay the whole package even though they hardly ever watch anything live, from the cable, that would be the client's who are targeted with the extra fee. 

Amen to that.  They hosed their loyal fan base, while being noncompetitive. 

Silver Problem Solver

FYI,  as of today, 6/19/2017, my usage is at 351GB.  100% of that is used by my TG1682G gateway.  The 5 other MAC addresses show less than 1GB used.

That doesn't help me find which devices are using the monthly TB cap.

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

Frequent Visitor

@RobertWy wrote:

FYI,  as of today, 6/19/2017, my usage is at 351GB.  100% of that is used by my TG1682G gateway.  The 5 other MAC addresses show less than 1GB used.

I can clearly see it in my situation. The CAP gauge on the comcast accounts page is spot on. I am deffinatly using the data. The dd-wrt firmware in my router show's each device and what it's using. No argument from me about how much I am using. 

Now the I'm sure the TV programs I watch are adding up to the most of it, as I am also sure the comercial's and advertisments I get to watch are also counting towards my month data allowence. There is no way to tell on that. Double dipping there I'm sure is unintentional. 

Expert

@ekym wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

I can clearly see it in my situation. The CAP gauge on the comcast accounts page is spot on. I am deffinatly using the data. The dd-wrt firmware in my router show's each device and what it's using. No argument from me about how much I am using. 

Now the I'm sure the TV programs I watch are adding up to the most of it, as I am also sure the comercial's and advertisments I get to watch are also counting towards my month data allowence. There is no way to tell on that. Double dipping there I'm sure is unintentional.  

When using streaming devices are the users being careful to use the regular in home on-demand as opposed to the TV go versions? (since non-TVgo don't count toward the Cap)

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@ekym wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

When using streaming devices are the users being careful to use the regular in home on-demand as opposed to the TV go versions? (since non-TVgo don't count toward the Cap)

Ben, As the head of the household, I just wish that my family members are able to use any or all of the services that I pay monthly for, I don't want to train each person how to stay below the Data Cap. I want my family to go to work or school each day, and be able to say to thier friends or co-workers, our service provider is Comcast, they are great. I want my family to feel as if they can just enjoy the content that we pay for. It is rediculous to first pay for the service, make the family anouncment that we now have X1 service and Netflix, and Hulu, and what ever, but that we can't use any of the services because it will put us over the data cap. You can't update your computer to the new Creators Eddition service pack (4 G, you can't watch the 4K TV we just bought before the new rule, waist of money now. Your new XBOX console that we got you for christmas is a big data hog, so even though your grades are excellent in school, you can't download and play all those games, or watch all those youtube video game walkthoughs like your buddys do who don't have a cap. 

I am to just pay the $50 and give everyone who deserves internet access for school work or game play the service. Sure I could choke down the data to save the $50, but I'm not going to. Shouldn't have to. Should we start another mega thread to train all the comcast clients how to shave bytes? Is this really what the Internet is all about? Are we really supposed to learn how to save the service provider the few cents it costs them to provide the additional data to save ourself's $50 per month?

New Poster

This will be my one and only post on here. I only found this forum today. It has been interesting reading. Thanks everyone.

We are currently paying $260 a month for TV, internet, and four cable boxes. That is close to $3,000 a year. That's a lot of money to me.

So, our data use doubled in March from our average of 300GB+, and then it tripled in May to hit the 1TB limit. So far this month we are over 500GB with no hardware or software changes that I can determine. We don't download movies, no Netflix, no streaming except for a little bit of uTube, we have a couple of X-Boxes that don't get a lot of use and are usually shut down cold, and the Pads and PC's are usually off except for occasional use. No Skype, no Facetime, nothing.

We have been Comcast customers on their top tier plan for 14 years. We have cancelled it. All of it. We have found another Internet provider with no data cap who's download speeds are quoted as being the same as what we actually get now, but it doesn't really matter as we don't download, and we only ever really watch Fox News and the odd movie on TV. We have signed up for the $12 a month N_flix plan for giggles and Gilligans Island. 

All up we expect to save about $2,200 a year. I can lease a new Camry LE for less than that, and buy a WRX over ten years. 

Bye dudes. It has been real.

New Poster

2 Courtesy months to go over 1TB limit is only 2 50gb chunks?

I thought the courtesy months removed the limit and made that month unlimited bandwidth, so I asked in a live chat about it and the person said i'm supposed to get 2 courtesy 50gb overages the 1st of every month? I'm confused.

New Poster

Re: 2 Courtesy months to go over 1TB limit is only 2 50gb chunks?

So I was finally able to get a direct answer that a "courtesy month" does indeed apply unlimited bandwidth to your account for that month.

Frequent Visitor

@B_Doug wrote:

So I was finally able to get a direct answer that a "courtesy month" does indeed apply unlimited bandwidth to your account for that month.

Hello there!

So the 1 TB (1024 Gigabytes) data cap and its courtesy months can be a little confusing in some ways.

I will preface this with saying I am 99.5% sure about these details:
@for the first 2 individual months in a 12 month period your usage (upload and download) exceeds 1024 Gigabytes, you will receive a courtesy month for data overage. This means that you will still be billed for all data usage above 1TB at the aforementioned 50 Gigabyte @ $10/per bucket, up to an additional Terabyte, or $200 (You cannot be billed for overages exceeding $200 in a one month period). You'll also get an automatic credit for all of the overage charges you incurred on the same month. Whenever the system applies an automatic credit for data usage as such, that triggers the activation of one courtesy month. Details will show up on your bill / xFi / Data Usage Meter.

Let's say this happens again the next month (30 day billing cycle); or two months later, doesn't make a difference. Then you've activated your second courtesy month. 12 months after you activated your first courtesy month, you will once again have 1 courtesy month available (I believe, otherwise it may refer to fiscal months, which generally cycles between the 21st and 22nd of each month). The same follows with the second month.

The important thing about the courtesy months is that it gives you a financially safe way to determine, through your actual usage, whether or not you would benefit from the Unlimited Data option.

P.S. - Xfinitywifi hotspot usage does not count against your data cap.

Contributor

Let's say this happens again the next month (30 day billing cycle); or two months later, doesn't make a difference. Then you've activated your second courtesy month. 12 months after you activated your first courtesy month, you will once again have 1 courtesy month available (I believe, otherwise it may refer to fiscal months, which generally cycles between the 21st and 22nd of each month). The same follows with the second month.

The 12-month period begins at your first overage. It's also worth knowing that if you've used your two courtesy months and go over a third time, you lose your courtesy months permanently, they won't reset after 12 months. 

Expert

found 2 new 'features' about data (well, new to me) on new 176..02 06/16 version: Xfinity >> My Account >> Data usage gives a current usage for the account not that x1 set top box. Hopefully it will expand to be by 'name' (like "den" "master bedroom" "modem") and expand the display to include weekly/monthly lines and days left before reset. It does show average % of 1 TB used monthly (mine says 22%). Under Settings/Preferences/Notifications I found "Xfinity Internet" and it is ON (says Get Internet usage and security alerts).