Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Waiting for my internet food stamps to reset first of the month. I have a contract until Dec 2017 that says my rates won't change, but because of the data change I have to get anxiety every month and high blood pressure. Please send complaints tongue FCC.
New Poster

I'm sorry but this 1TB a month data usage is just ridculous!!! I've been with comcast for along time using the internet and have nver had any trouble with the use of data. But now we're being limited to 1TB a month. Also in the last two months I keep getting warning that i've used 90% of my data and it's crazy. Nothing in my house has changed everthing as far as usage is the same. Yes I have an Elderly father who is now bed ridden because of his legs and so he watches and streams a lot of netflix. The customer care service tell me that I have to change and reduce the resolution if I want to save. So you guys are telling us we can't stream our videos in HD too? I mean you've become no better then cell phone companies. Also if we want unlimited it's an additional $50 a month. I mean I'm already paying you guys $156.00 for internet, phone, TV and here the phone doesn't work I don't even have any of the good stuff like HBO or any of those movie channels. I mean all I have is just basic local and things like Lifetime, Disney, A&E, SyFy, and FreeForm. I mean come on you guys brag on how you're the best. Well act like it and offer us the best but at reasonable prices. Seriously in the last two months you keep sending me a warning that i've used 90% of my data. Well sorry I have a person who just likes to stream and have all our phones, tables, and computers conneted to the wifi. But to limit us is just outragous!!! 

New Poster

Data Usage

I have been recently downloading a myriad of different Operating Systems (Linux-Based) using utorrent. I understand that Comcast adopted a new policy awhile back regarding Data Caps. I understand it to be 1 TB/Month. Using ShaPlus I monitored my bandwidth and the results were surprising...

The meter said I downloaded a total of 200 GB when in fact the total size of all downloads were actually around 25 GB. I dont understand how this could be. I must be missing something. My wifi is password protected and I use a VPN. I have several devices in the house: Smart TV, Cell Phones, Tablets, and the meter doesnt fly even then like it does when utorrent is running.

Any thoughts?

New Poster

Re: Data usage

We are also having this issue. We got notifications in Oct, Nov and December that we were either reaching or over 1TB of data in our home. We can not even fathom that! My husband has an entire office of staff working 8-12 hours a day that doesn't use that much. Even if we streamed movies 24/7, we would not reach that amount.  I contacted Xfinity and I requested a detailed daily usage which they were not able to provide as we do not use their combined modem/router. We lease a modem from Xfinity but prefer to use our own router (Apple Airport Extreme with one extension Airport Express) to have more control over bandwidth. I am very perplexed at this and have not found resolve. I have run diagnostics on every computer in our home which we have the xfinity/comcast provided Norton software for anti-virus and have found no issues. I have also run MalwareBytes on each computer. In a household of 6 people we have several mobile devices including tablets and phones which connect to our wifi mainly in the evening hours. If anyone has advice I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data usage

For others reading this thread:

I have started using Netflix, which seems to have a big impact on my 1TB limit.

I have also started using Kodi, which also has a big impact on the limit.

Just an FYI.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: data usage

@Turnkeys wrote:

Good evening,

I'm looking for confirmation. Does one's data usage reset at the end of the month, ie: Jan 31st, or at the end of the individual billing cycle?

Also, is anyone having luck receiving alerts after having set them in the usage meter's "manage alerts" section? We haven't gone over our cap yet, but I'm also not receiving alerts at the set thresholds.

My alerts work as intended, though I do question how much data I use.

Frequent Visitor

Data Usage

Comcast/Xfinity implemented a 1 terabyte per month data usage limit on November 1, 2016, in my area. The reported data usage on my account has gone ridicuously high (from 52 GB for October 2016, to over 1600 GB for December 2016). We use Netflix, but don't stream many movies or series programs. We don't play online games. Comcast tells me that their equipment, and metering of data usage is accurate. I don't agree. Is anyone else suffering from this data usage fiasco??

Expert

Re: Data Usage

@wgstrike3 wrote:

Comcast/Xfinity implemented a 1 terabyte per month data usage limit on November 1, 2016, in my area. The reported data usage on my account has gone ridicuously high (from 52 GB for October 2016, to over 1600 GB for December 2016). We use Netflix, but don't stream many movies or series programs. We don't play online games. Comcast tells me that their equipment, and metering of data usage is accurate. I don't agree. Is anyone else suffering from this data usage fiasco??

did you look at the usage meter on your account? there is a link below the 'current month' that will break out the usage by the MAC ID. do you show more than your home equipment there?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I have looked at the data usage meter, but I would like to be able to see what the downloads/uploads consist of. All it shows is GB usage through my modem. We haven't changed anything and in October Comcast said my average monthly usage was 90 GB. Comcast (CSA) said my equipment was working properly (75% downloads), but at 1600 GB I would like to know how that happened. I think someone must has been "hacking" into my WiFi. I found out yesterday that when the technician installed our new modem in July 2016, he set it up as a "hotspot". The modem I installed yesterday has the hotspot turned off. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pay for the extra data usage even though I notified Comcast that I couldn't figure out what was causing the big spike in usage. Is there another device (like the electric meter on my house) that I could attach to see specifiecs?

Regular Visitor

I know in Michigan all the Company's are doing data usage for internet now.  Comcast, ATT, etc

Frequent Visitor

My usage for Nov 2016 was 456GB, then Dec jumped to 1061GB, Jan it went up to 1983GB.  So yes lots of people are having the same problem.  I made calls to Comcast the whole month of Jan, spoke to so many different people all the way up the chain.   From what they ALL tell me is:  it is our fault the way we use internet and netflix.  Even got a new modem intalled on Jan 29th.  Usage on it thru 01/31/17 was 448GB.  Imagine that.

Only problem is this household has not changed the way it uses internet, Netflix in over 5years.  One change my granddaughter and her girlfriend moved out Nov 1st.  So actually less people using.    

New Poster

Funny, I am having the same issues. We have used between 400-650 GB for 3 years. In the time period I had 2 sons playing xbox non-stop. They watched Netflix  religiously. All our phones are hooked up through the wifi and we played game on them or we went to Facebook on them or on the home computer. Now, suddenly since they kicked in the 1TB limit, we have went over it twice. We have been minus one son for one year so we have less usage even. How in the world can that be? If it was an odometer on a car, I would swear the odometer has been tampered with!

Regular Visitor

The issue isn't with how much you are using.  The issue is that you are paying for a 75Mb connection.  At full speed you would use 1TB in less than 2 days.

Frequent Visitor

Where do I find that information.  And why have I not exceeded 1024GB before Dec 2016?  I've been with Comcast since March 2009, when I moved to NorCal from SoCal.

Frequent Visitor

BYW what do you mean full speed.

Frequent Visitor

But still that's 1000 MB to get to a GB.... and 1000 GB to get to a TB. Everyone says a TB is a heck-of-a-lot of data. I've had Blast Pro and high speed for quite a while. The issue is that they said I was averaging 90 GB a month. For October I only had 52 GB. Then all of a sudden in December I had1606 GB. Something smells fishy in Comcast Data Land. I haven't been able to see my data usage for February yet. It says it's "not available". Maybe it's because the Comcast techs are sending "code" to my modem to record 2x, 3x, or even 4x my actual usage. I just don't trust them. 

New Poster

Mine shows two listed. My arris modem, then if I do a mac OUI search of the unknown one, it says it is arris too.  Last month it used 404 GB, month before 589 GB while the arris listed only 239 GB..

What gives with 2 modems listed?

Thanks

Expert

@danzigrules wrote:

Mine shows two listed. My arris modem, then if I do a mac OUI search of the unknown one, it says it is arris too.  Last month it used 404 GB, month before 589 GB while the arris listed only 239 GB..

What gives with 2 modems listed?

Thanks

If you have the X1 platform, your X1 box can also have usage associated with it by accessing any of the APPS within the X1 platform  ( FB, Netflix, etc ) and most likely you are seeing the MAC Address of the X1 box's usage.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

SMELLS really fishy.

around Jan 1st get notice from Comcast, my Dec usage was 1061.  Contacted Comcast on 01/05/2017 around 9am pacific time, my usage then was already 181GB,  by the end of the day 5pm pacific time was up to 316GB.  So on 01/19/2017 called and signed up for unlimited data at extra $50.00 month, at that time my usage was at 1163GB.  Now notice on 01/05 at 5pm it was 316GB, now one month later 02/05 at 5pm it is at 82GB, that is a difference of 234GB and not a darn thing has changed. 

So talk about smelling fishy, this really does.

New Poster

I have had comcast cast since they purchased Storer Cable back in 1980. The account is from 1972 and I promise I will Jump ship the FIRST time I get charged 2 times for internet service.

Charge me for data usage or charge me for internet. I WILL NOT PAY 2 TIMES FOR THE SAME SERVICE!!!!

I supposed 250 bucks every month isnt enough you greedy people. I pay for premium cable T/V and pay for premium intenet and refuse to pay 1 penny for something I already pay a decent price for

New Poster

Monitoring and controlling data download costs

I recently signed up for Digital TV services.  I've had Xfinity internet service for a few years, but agreed to upgrade my speed and add baasic channels.  My concern is with hidden costs of streaming and downloading that I was never concerned about with the internet service.  I am very unfamiliar with how the cost for streaming data works, how many GB I should expect to use if I decide to stream movies (i.e., a 2 hour movie), and what the costs are if I exceed my data limit.  What are some other "gotchas" I need to be aware of?

Also, I've had a problem finding what my new data limits are.  Can someone please offer advice to the inexperienced? 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Monitoring and controlling data download costs

KJ1967 wrote: ... I've had a problem finding what my new data limits are. ...

Please see https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-plan

New Poster

Monthly usage chart

Thanks for the monthly usage meter, but what would be really useful is a burndown chart with a linear projection to see if you are on track for the month or headed towards blowing the 1 terrabyte limit. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Monthly usage chart

@heidilovett wrote:

Thanks for the monthly usage meter, but what would be really useful is a burndown chart with a linear projection to see if you are on track for the month or headed towards blowing the 1 terrabyte limit. 

Simple Math;

Today is 8th day of 28. I've used 230GB  (230/8)*28 or (28*230)/8 = 805GB this month

Expert

Re: Monthly usage chart

@lewisr13 wrote:

@heidilovett wrote:

Simple Math;

Today is 8th day of 28. I've used 230GB  (230/8)*28 or (28*230)/8 = 805GB this month

using any browser except chrome, go to https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ and select the 'detail' link under the usage meter. Do you see one MAC address that has most of the usage? does it match your modem's address? 

New Poster

This is absolute garbage. Why does there need to be a data limit? You're not using cell phone towers. Even cell phone companies are now moving to unlimited data. This just makes no sense at all. 

Frequent Visitor

Exactly!!!!  I have 2 kids who watch things on youtube and xbox 1 and we are going over about 50gb to 100gb per month the last 2 months now!!!!!  I am very luck to have been given 2 courtesy months; so it's like having roll over minutes!  But I think it's unfair!  Because, it wasn't like this before!  Plus, they are going to charge you 10 extra!  Thank god that I do have those courtesy months like I said, or my life would have been messed up!  They are just wanting more money; because they are realizing that people are starting to use other products with their Internet; like Roku, Kodi, Apple TV, etc etc.  Well if Cable tv and having all 3 wasn't so freaking expensive like 200 or more dollars we wouldn't even consider other options!!!!!  I love comcast don't get me wrong!  I just hate the prices!!  So now, all I pay is 40.00 for internet!  I got rid of home phone and tv!

Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Did you even count when you open a web page or browser?  or download a song?  lmao I know it stinks; they are adding all of that up, trust me!!  Every time you play a youtube video those 1kbs add up really quick!  I hate it too trust me on that!

New Poster

data usage

How am I using data.

Silver Problem Solver

Courtesy of Google:

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/faq/

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I am unsure as to what all this is , When I signed up for Comcast I got the Unlimited internet and phone at a set price.. Is it no longer unliniter . I always pay 30 more to have fasterinter net. I get about 240 down and 12 up. I do not have comcast tv I have Direct tv and No it is not connect to the internet. I have a ps4 not connected to the internet I have no paid video website or anything like that. We have 5 computers that can be wireless or wired Most of the time wired a Tablet that Only connect to do updates my husband take to work . We have never even went half over the allowed cap that ya'll added aftyer I have had a account for years with you.. But ya'll keep updating my speed to  more and more is this to get me to go over my cap? I have also had my internet and Phone go out three times this month No warning . The new updated site no longer tells us how log it will be out.Yet I still have to pay for the down time? I do not understand this at all . I always pay my bill. When you going to start giving us money back for all the time we lose not having internet.. Paula

unlimited internet

Expert

@paulanjaybo wrote:

I am unsure as to what all this is , When I signed up for Comcast I got the Unlimited internet and phone at a set price.. Is it no longer unliniter . I always pay 30 more to have fasterinter net. I get about 240 down and 12 up. I do not have comcast tv I have Direct tv and No it is not connect to the internet. I have a ps4 not connected to the internet I have no paid video website or anything like that. We have 5 computers that can be wireless or wired Most of the time wired a Tablet that Only connect to do updates my husband take to work . We have never even went half over the allowed cap that ya'll added aftyer I have had a account for years with you.. But ya'll keep updating my speed to  more and more is this to get me to go over my cap? I have also had my internet and Phone go out three times this month No warning . The new updated site no longer tells us how log it will be out.Yet I still have to pay for the down time? I do not understand this at all . I always pay my bill. When you going to start giving us money back for all the time we lose not having internet.. Paula

unlimited internet

Hi, another customer here. When you have a service outage, you can contact 800-Comcast and select customer service and ask for credit of $20 the first time in a month. Any other outage in same billing period they can credit you for the time down in days. 800-Comcast customer service can explain more fully.

If you continue to have the service interruptions call same number and select technical support. 

New Poster

Internet Data Usage

Is it possible to find out how much data is being used by each device connected to it? My roommates have been exceeding the 1TB limit and want to know who's causing the main problem.

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Internet Data Usage

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/

You will have to choose the "View detailed usage" and then compare MAC addresses to your devices.

Highlighted
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/

You will have to choose the "View detailed usage" and then compare MAC addresses to your devices.

Again.... That won't reveal individual / multiple devices that are connected to a gateway device / router .They will all be under the same MAC.

Expert

adding...

google fing for windows or mac

using an android or iOS smart device? search for Fing App.

All free and you can see each device connected at the time, and have ability to name the device for future use of Fing so you can know who and what device is connected to your network.

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... Fing App ... so you can know who and what device is connected to your network.

Useful, but won't show the data usage of devices.

ETA: Would a Fingbox allow monitoring of data usage of endpoint devices? Is it available yet?

New Poster

how much data do all comcast customers get

i just want to know if the cap on data is 1tb for all comcast internet plans, and if there is a charge after 1tb.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: how much data do all comcast customers get

Expert

Re: how much data do all comcast customers get

Not all customers are subject to the data plans (yet). If you are, it $10 per 50GB over 1TB. Or you can get unlimited data for an additional $50 month. See: https://dataplan.xfinity.com/

New Poster

internet useage?

can you go over on internet useage?

Frequent Visitor

Outrageous Data Usage

Before I had the Terabyte plan I had 500GB to work with. I was able to stretch that out for the whole month. At the start of getting the Terabyte plan I was only reaching half of the usage. Now it says I'm using 800-900GB. Not much has change in terms of usage or products that are on the Internet, and I even turn the Internet off from 12 am to 10 am in terms of wi-fi capable devices. So why all of sudden I'm barely under a Terabyte? I question how much data I'm actually using. And that detailed data usage chart does nothing to help me.

Regular Visitor

Re: Outrageous Data Usage

The data cap is not in effect for us yet in CT. I am good with networking and have friends who are in the data business. I had them monitor my connection using hardware for me just to get an accurate amount of usage. They did this for me 3 months in a row. The result is jaw dropping. Comcast's meter said around 425gb vs actual 101gb. All results were a big difference in their favor. I did this only to be ready if they implement the cap. Funny though,I was told the x-1 box data doesn't count but as the data sniffing tools show the x-1 box a data hog though different protocol. So be pro active and don't take answers without backup proof.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Outrageous Data Usage

Very Interesting!!! All along I've been saying that they're over-charging/over-accounting us on data usage. But when I enquire, they say their data recording are correct. Supposedly they are monitored/audited by a 3rd party. Well, I've worked with auditors before, and they will "look the other way", so they can keep the contract. As stated earlier, they sent me a letter in October 2016, notifying us of the new 1TB limit effective in November 2016, and saying that I averaged around 90 GB per month (Actually it was: Aug - 79 GB; Sept - 83 GB; Oct - 52 G. However, now that they're charging for the excess over 1TB I've had: Nov 2016 - 391 GB; Dec - 1606 GB; Jan - 1414 GB; and so far for February I'm at 844 GB. It's looks to me like they're padding the numbers so they can charge more. Also, if the FCC lets "net neutrality" go away, they can charge us all higher amounts for slower speeds!!

New Poster

Data-Cap Issues

We were told that we wouldn't have a data cap until the end of our next lease in May 2017, but apparently without an email, text, or Comcast notification we have been given a data-cap. To add further, the data-cap has already been reached once this month, and a "grace period" has been used to give us another 100GB for "free". Last night was at 20GB of the 100GB used, I wake up to find that 60GB has been used, so 40 overnight has just disappeared when I myself was the only person in the house with the computers off to make sure it wasn't being used. I honestly am upset and offended that I was told one thing, that a data-cap wouldn't show up until May, and then it was put on anyways. I am once again upset that I have been lied to, that people will just keep telling me anything I want to hear to get me off the phone, and it is insulting to me as a customer who has always paid their bill on time and has stayed loyal to the company.

I have tried talking to live chat, but it keeps saying "404 server not sound" and I have called twice this morning, only to be on hold for 30 minutes, and then the associate hangs up when they put me on hold to transfer me. So now I have to post here in public where maybe someone will get back to me.

Tags (2)
New Poster

Re: Data-Cap Issues

so not only did you ignore me, you moved my post into a dead forum where no mods will help me. I'm done with this internet service, you are awful people

Expert

Re: Data-Cap Issues

Sorry that you feel that way. Your post was moved to the appropriate existing topic for the subject matter as per the forum guidelines.

New Poster

1Terabyte Data limit

According to Comcast, our data usage for the 3 months before the cap, was around 600gb a month. Now that the cap was put in place, according to Comcast, we are using more than 1T a month.......... I have to say I find it very odd that we had doubled our data usage on the same month that the data limit was put in place.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: 1Terabyte Data limit

@Red815 wrote:
According to Comcast, our data usage for the 3 months before the cap, was around 600gb a month. Now that the cap was put in place, according to Comcast, we are using more than 1T a month.......... I have to say I find it very odd that we had doubled our data usage on the same month that the data limit was put in place.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I haven't seen that yet.

I have started using the X1 Netflix app and I am concerned that I will go over the cap if I use it too much.