Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data Cap - Streaming Xfinity TV Count Toward It?

@Paraniod wrote:

Also, I'm sure that a lot of people who use the X1 TV system, are unaware that the apps on there all count towards the cap too.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-internet-data-usage-details

According to this link it shouldn't as long as you're on your home network.....but it does!

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

(3rd paragraph up from the bottom)

Does the functionality enabled by X1 Cloud DVR count against the XFINITY Internet data usage threshold?
Downloading and/or streaming DVR recordings, live TV or XFINITY On Demand content will not count against your Internet data usage threshold if you are connected to your in-home XFINITY network. However, if you choose to stream or download DVR recordings outside of the home, this may count against your data usage threshold.

Expert

@mtdew332 wrote:

@Paraniod wrote:

Also, I'm sure that a lot of people who use the X1 TV system, are unaware that the apps on there all count towards the cap too.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-internet-data-usage-details

According to this link it shouldn't as long as you're on your home network.....but it does!

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

(3rd paragraph up from the bottom)

Does the functionality enabled by X1 Cloud DVR count against the XFINITY Internet data usage threshold?
Downloading and/or streaming DVR recordings, live TV or XFINITY On Demand content will not count against your Internet data usage threshold if you are connected to your in-home XFINITY network. However, if you choose to stream or download DVR recordings outside of the home, this may count against your data usage threshold. 

Perhaps you are confusing 'app' on an iphone (like Xfinity TV app) and apps on the X1 system (Xfinity button on remote >> Apps. The Xfinity Set top box apps do count toward your cap. the web page https://tv.xfinity.com/ for desk/laptops and use of smart devices with the Xfinity TV app do not count toward your cap usage when you are using your own home internet. If you are at home and connect to a wireless SSID of xfinitywifi the usage will count but when connected to your own home network the usage does not count. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... the web page https://tv.xfinity.com/ for desk/laptops and use of smart devices with the Xfinity TV app do not count toward your cap usage when you are using your own home internet. ...

And yet, https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-counts-towards-my-data-plan says:

... all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through http://xfinity.com/watch and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage.

"xfinity.com/watch" redirects to "tv.xfinity.com".

Expert
Expert
Moved:

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Expert
Moved:

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

The internet data usage meter is gone.  Is this another way for us to loose track of our usage and risk going over without actually knowing?  Where is that data meter?  

New Poster

ATT just installed a fiber network in my area.  they are offering 1gig service with unlimited data for $70/mon.  I am moving in 2 months and most likely will switch.  Take that Comcast.  

Also, Where is the data usage meter?

New Poster

You know, I've never been one to hate on the cable company.  Yeah, I grumbled but, I never forgot that my cable TV was a luxury; a non-necessity.  I knew that I could stop it any time I decided the costs were higher than what I wanted to pay.  As a result, I never put the cable company into that "axis of evil" that I've heard others do often.   But, the cable company now provides me with something that I consider critical, and that is my internet service.  It is vital not because of Netflix, iTunes, or Amazon prime but because of the myriad of other services we get from it.

Comcast, I am not necessarily against you implementing the 1 TB cap but I am VEHEMENTLY against the manner in which you have done so.  In fact, my entire household (typically ublivious of the costs) are now fully angry at you.   The reason is not because you would charge us to over a set limit, but because you do so capriciously.   In November we only used 259GB.  In January because everyone got shiny new devices for Christmas and needed to load them with data, we will probably end up paying $200 in overage costs before the month is out.   That is simply not fair.   If you told me that my service entitled me to 12 TB a year - I'd be fine with that (I realize others might not, but my household would be ok with that).  Because I know that we do average just under 1 TB a month.  And, if I ever thought we'd average more than 1 TB a month, you have given me a $50 premium offer to go unlimited.    But for me to average 750GB per month and for you to take payment when I go over 1 TB and offer nothing back when I go under is not fair.   At least do what my cellular company does and give me a rolling credit for last month's underage - but even that would come up short of what I feel should be in place.

I've read a few of the critical emails in this topic and I must say, I agree with most of what they say.   I think capping what eah household delivers is a reasonable approach (I don;t like it, but I can't sit here and say it is not a reasonable point of discussion).  But how you have chosen to implement this is wrong and it clearly is just a money grab and not a means for managing your network's bandwidth.   As such, my next steps will be in accordance.

Silver Problem Solver

@Theglen1 wrote:

The internet data usage meter is gone.  Is this another way for us to loose track of our usage and risk going over without actually knowing?  Where is that data meter?  

Try this:

https://dataplan.xfinity.com/

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. Keep checking back. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Cause of sudden increase in data usage is unknown.

My data usage for Oct was 544gb, for Nov 456gb, then Jan 1 1061gb.  I have called xfinity every day, talked to so many people trying to solve problem over the phone, finally had a tech come to the house yesterday, and he was so confused he called another tech in the area and quess what that tech was in our area for the same exact reason.  He then started calling supervisors and heads of this or that and no one can figure out why since Jan 1 my usage was at 431gb by the time he got here and the night before when I went to bed it was at 372gb. Now at 6:53pm pacific time it is 696gb.  At this rate by the end of the month I will have double my cap of 1024 by at least 3times.  I have done the remove hot spots changed my wifi home name and password.    So lets see if the head guy we talked to in Colo yesterday can have his people run down what the heck is going on.  Saw posted in youtube someone else with this problem went to another provider.    If I find out anything helpful from the upper upper techs I will post it. 

New Poster

Do both tiers of Gigabit service have no data cap?  Or is it only the Gigabit Pro?

XI Gigabit (1000 Mbps)
XI Gigabit Pro (2000 Mbps)

Expert

You were replied to here;

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Gigabit-Internet/m-p/2853990/highlight/true#M249119

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Cause of sudden increase in data usage is unknown

I posted a couple days ago re: above,  I had been on the phone for over 3days with comcast, had a tech come to the house, no one could figure out over in data usage, tech called his supv, called upper big wigs, two of them,  was told would look into it and get back to me in 48-72 hrs.  Well that was over 90hrs ago.  I am really getting ______ off.  Will be looking at other internet options and guess my next climb up the data usage hill is going to be the FCC.

Frequent Visitor

Cause of sudden increase in data usage is unknown

I will try posting this again.  For some reason did not post a few min.ago.

After spending over 3 days on the phone with comcast, a service tech came to the house on Sun 1/8/17.  He could not figure out the reason for outrageous sudden increase in data usage.  from 01/01/17 to 01/08/17 usage was at 628GB.   Duh just me and my grown son at the house.  Nothing going on, no excess computers, game thingys or anything else.   Tech called his supv,  then called up the line, then called up the line again and again.  Was finally told would check everything out and call back in 48-72 hours,  well that was over 90 hours ago.  Have heard nothing, even called one of the up line guys and left a message, have heard nada.

Needless to say I am more than a little        off. 

will now be checking out other internet provider options as well as checking with the FCC about this issue and other complaints of same.

Regular Visitor

Re: Data Caps in Relation to FCC Net Neutrality Regulations?

first i know can pay $50 more to get get the service allready pay for,which drives bills to 149.95 a month for just internet .
a few problems with that first that not what i signed up for .i signed up for bandwidth not data. to stay under your bandwidth cap you have to no more than 5Mb/s service .They need to need to be honest with poeple and tell them .
next there memo about all this has been leaked and they admit this is pure 100% profit motive nothing to due with bandwidth issues .there network can handle 100 terabytes per seconds, this is nothing but taking advantage of the fact that there a monoply in most cities.plus they havent upgrade the hardware in my city in 30 years .the speed increase have been done via software compression.with the new Docsis standard that coming the can make it 10x faster and never spend a dime.
next we all know this going to get worst now as incoming FCC hate any rules on ISP's,
we towards rank at the bottom in the world in affordable internet
unlimited plans
1 G/s japen $9.99
1 G/s Korea $12.99
1 Gig/s finland,sweden.france,netherlands.poland.germany $14.99
100 Mps iceland,belgium.austria $19.99
75 Mpbs COMCAST usa $149,99
1gig/s Google usa $69.99

So please dont act like Comcast is doing me a favor by giving me 1tera without giving you more money. than try to just heavy users how about we call it what it is poeple that dont want to be beholden to comcast for tv

New Poster

data usage and cap

So, read about the new data cap thing, don't really mind it as 1tb is rather large and i don't think i'm reaching that limit. however my household does use a rather large amount of data so i wanted to check to see what kind of data we used. went to check this https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter. that link btw took me 10 mins to find because it's buried under devices in your account. normally i wouldn't care but if you're switching to capped data plans you should make that on the home page, or at least easier to find. anyways my main problem is finding how much data i'm actually using. when i go to that usage meter it says for the past 3 months I've used less than 1gb of data which i know for a fact is not true. I'm wondering if they are not recording it correctly, or if something is wrong on my end, or if the data inst being tracked yet. i wouldn't mind but i don't want to be hit with a large bill without knowing that its coming.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: data usage and cap

FYI, Comcast has a My Accout app for iOS and Android that displays usage.  Much easier than using the web page.

I seriously doubt Comcast would not be counting your Internet usage correctly.

Is it possible that your usage doesn't always go through your Comcast Internet connection?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

Blobberd wrote: ... it says for the past 3 months I've used less than 1gb of data ...

For problems with the meter see http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/do-not-see-usage-meter/.

Gold Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote: FYI, Comcast has a My Accout app for iOS and Android that displays usage.  ...

For those with a smartphone or tablet, yes. Not everyone has one you know.

... Much easier than using the web page. ...

A matter of opinion, don't you think?

... I seriously doubt Comcast would not be counting your Internet usage correctly. ...

This has happened to me twice, in January 2014, and again in January 2015. Each time I had to call in, and it took them a week or two to fix it. It happens.

Silver Problem Solver

@BruceW wrote:

... I seriously doubt Comcast would not be counting your Internet usage correctly. ...

This has happened to me twice, in January 2014, and again in January 2015. Each time I had to call in, and it took them a week or two to fix it. It happens.

How does that happen?  Did anyone explain why to you?  And how did you know?

Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

RobertWy wrote: ... I seriously doubt Comcast would not be counting your Internet usage correctly. ...

How does that happen?  Did anyone explain why to you?  And how did you know?

(Fixed improper quoting)

Robert, you worry me sometimes.   Smiley Sad

How does it happen? It happens because Comcast is too greedy to spend the money required to operate its systems in a competent manner.

Did any one explain why it happened? Of course not, see previous sentence.

How did I know the meter was broken? Because weeks into the month, and using the Internet the way I usually do, the meter still read 0.

If you fill up your gas tank, then drive 500 miles, and the fuel gauge still reads "Full", wouldn't you suspect that the reading might not be accurate?

Frequent Visitor

So are you saying it is me doing something strang?

OK let's see:

Oct 2016 my GB usage was: 544GB  (also got notice on Oct 7, effective Nov 1, 2016 usage up to 1T

Nov 2016 my GB usage was: 456BG (now according to comcast that was Nov1 thru Nov 30)

Dec 2016 my GB usage was: 1061GB.   WOW that is more than double of Nov.

Did nothing out of the ordinary during Dec.

By Jan 5, 2017 my usage was already up to 316GB   (OOPS) what was I doing???

As of 3:30pm pacific time today my usage is up to: 801GB.   My goodness I must be using every device in my town thru my computer plus maybe the next town over.

So DO YOU have any constructive idea why I'm going thru usage so fast.  At this rate by Jan 31 I will be somewhere aroung 1602GB.

New Poster

Major data usage spike over 3 months...anyone else experience?

We are a family of 5 and with the 1TB data cap we use to hit about roughly 300-450gb/month with yotube/netflix streaming and a couple online gamers. Recently though over the last 3 months our data usage somehow spike to over the 1TB limit and as of 1/16/2017 we've used 986GBs. Our modem was "upgraded" about 2 or 3 months ago as of 1/16/2017 and a new router about 1 month ago. I've run numerous bot/virus/walware scans and have checked each PC ands phones monthly WiFi usage and it does not add up. Called Comcast and was transfered 4 times before finally hanging up with no help given. Anyone else happen to have similar problems? Should I try exchaning modems or maybe call a tech out for an accurate reading? Really dont want to be charged extra if this is on Comcast. Thanks. 

Tags (1)
Expert

@bobbij42 wrote:

So are you saying it is me doing something strang?

OK let's see:

Oct 2016 my GB usage was: 544GB  (also got notice on Oct 7, effective Nov 1, 2016 usage up to 1T

Nov 2016 my GB usage was: 456BG (now according to comcast that was Nov1 thru Nov 30)

Dec 2016 my GB usage was: 1061GB.   WOW that is more than double of Nov.

Did nothing out of the ordinary during Dec.

By Jan 5, 2017 my usage was already up to 316GB   (OOPS) what was I doing???

As of 3:30pm pacific time today my usage is up to: 801GB.   My goodness I must be using every device in my town thru my computer plus maybe the next town over.

So DO YOU have any constructive idea why I'm going thru usage so fast.  At this rate by Jan 31 I will be somewhere aroung 1602GB.

when you go to https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/?pc=1 and look under your usage progress bar, do you see a link for detailed usage data? if so, click that and note that for each line the amount of internet used is shown.

on mine there are 5 lines one is my router with most of the usage. The others are all 4 of my X1 devices. you can see the MAC ID of each of your X1 set top boxes by viewing the set top diagnostic screen. From live TV, press and hold down the exit button for 3-4 seconds, then release and quickly press down down 2 --- when the white screen comes up, select "System" --> device addresses. the set top box eCM is the address that uses the internet and will show up in MAC address OIU search as Arris. Repeat that process on each of your set top boxes.

then on your modem use your interface page (mine is 192.168.0.100) and navigate to the address page. On my modem address page it is labelled "HFC MAC Address". 

as another customer I'm curious as to what you find on yours. If you copy back info in a reply only copy the first 3 number parts (6 numbers/letters) of the MAC ID so it is not personal identification.

Silver Problem Solver

I only had entries for this month.  My gateway (DPC3941T) use 141GB.  One of my Arris DVR's used 12GB.  My total so far is 156GB.

This is VERY handy.

Frequent Visitor

I too have 5 items.  4 of them all show less than 1GBused,  the 5th is my modem as of 9:30am pacific time it now reads 821GB used.  the mac address: 8c:04:ff (you asked for the first 3).  Since my message yesterday I have used an additional 39GB.

There have been NO changes in the way we use our computers, XBox1 or TV's, for over past 5years.  So this is so frustrating and puzzling.

Expert

@bobbij42 wrote:

I too have 5 items.  4 of them all show less than 1GBused,  the 5th is my modem as of 9:30am pacific time it now reads 821GB used.  the mac address: 8c:04:ff (you asked for the first 3).  Since my message yesterday I have used an additional 39GB.

There have been NO changes in the way we use our computers, XBox1 or TV's, for over past 5years.  So this is so frustrating and puzzling.

do you have a Comcast gateway with integrated router/switch? or do you have your own router?

How many internet devices are connected to your device via ethernet? what are the devices? 

if you have a smart device you can get app 'Fing" (similar to ping). you can then see all devices currently connected to your router by ip. Identify each device.

Frequent Visitor

I have the modem provided by comcast, 4 table top boxes for the tv's, 1 xbox1, my son has the xfinity app on his phone.  That is it.

BTW in the last 24hrs my GB usage increased by 64GB. 

How does that happen???

Frequent Visitor

Re: Major data usage spike over 3 months...anyone else experience?

Whats your location city/state?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Major data usage spike over 3 months...anyone else experience?

Roseville, Ca

Expert

@bobbij42 wrote:

I have the modem provided by comcast, 4 table top boxes for the tv's, 1 xbox1, my son has the xfinity app on his phone.  That is it.

How does that happen???

did you try the link at msg 1627 above? you can see the actual device(s) using your internet on your account.

Expert

@Rustyben wrote:

@bobbij42 wrote:

How does that happen???

did you try the link at msg 1627 above? you can see the actual device(s) using your internet on your account.

FWIW, it is not that detailed / granular for all of the network clients / devices that go through the gateway device / modem.

Frequent Visitor

OMG  How in the heck do you think I have been keeping track of my usage.  that link is to the "my data usage" page

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter

BTW since 8:30am pacific time this morning I have used 116GB, my date usage now reads: 1001GB

What the !!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Problem Solver

@bobbij42 wrote:

OMG  How in the heck do you think I have been keeping track of my usage.  that link is to the "my data usage" page

https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter

BTW since 8:30am pacific time this morning I have used 116GB, my date usage now reads: 1001GB

What the !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you expand the detail for the current month, it breaks usage down by MAC address, which can then be related to physical boxes.

Mine shows most of my usage is through my Comcast gateway and the rest is from one of my DVR's.

Expert

@RobertWy wrote:
If you expand the detail for the current month, it breaks usage down by MAC address, which can then be related to physical boxes.
FWIW, I'll repeat for the sake of clarity, it can't breakdown for the individual devices that are connected to a router / gateway. That usage will all fall under a single MAC address.

Frequent Visitor

I do all the time, usage shows up on mac address for my comcast gateway modem

have been doing this checking since the first of the month.

btw my data usage as of 8:10am has exceeded my 1024 it is at 1115gb

last night at 9:45pm it was at 1017gb

how about THAT

Expert

@bobbij42 wrote:

I do all the time, usage shows up on mac address for my comcast gateway modem

have been doing this checking since the first of the month.

btw my data usage as of 8:10am has exceeded my 1024 it is at 1115gb

last night at 9:45pm it was at 1017gb

how about THAT

does it show it is all from your router?

Frequent Visitor

I kind of thought so.

here's a little info you may or may not find interesting.

As of right now 9:38am pacific time my data usage is at 1136GB, last night at 9:45pm it was at 1017GB.

Now I was on the phone from 7am to 8:10am with Advance Repair Team and Customer Security Assurance tier 2 in Denver, Colo.

What I was told, was we stream Netflix and play video games too much.   OK.  Let's see,  yesterday I was told my data usage for June 2016 was less than 200GB then in Oct 2016 it went up to 544GB and in Nov 2016 it was at 456GB.  Now our 1TB cap went into effect Nov 1, 2016.  Our Netflix and gaming and internet habits have not changed since June 2016.  Same ol, same ol.  

But according to Comcast,  it is our fault by watching Netflix and gaming too much now. 

Will contacting FCC and local consumers affairs because this is just not right.

Comcast is the only reliable provider in my area so I will be adding the additional $50.00 month for unlimited data usage,  but this is also under protest.

Frequent Visitor

YES

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

I have the same problem you do. I already message the fcc about this a few days ago.

Frequent Visitor

Internet Usage

Is there any way of finding out what exactly is using so much from my monthly plan? Usually I only hit about half of my quota. November it was 579GB of 1024GB. But in December it was 855GB of 1024GB and Janurary so far is 936GB of 1024GB. 

New Poster

data usage

how do i know how much data i am currently using?

Gold Problem Solver
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: data usage

Good evening,

I'm looking for confirmation. Does one's data usage reset at the end of the month, ie: Jan 31st, or at the end of the individual billing cycle?

Also, is anyone having luck receiving alerts after having set them in the usage meter's "manage alerts" section? We haven't gone over our cap yet, but I'm also not receiving alerts at the set thresholds.

Silver Problem Solver

@Turnkeys wrote:

Good evening,

I'm looking for confirmation. Does one's data usage reset at the end of the month, ie: Jan 31st, or at the end of the individual billing cycle?

Also, is anyone having luck receiving alerts after having set them in the usage meter's "manage alerts" section? We haven't gone over our cap yet, but I'm also not receiving alerts at the set thresholds.

Mine appears to reset after the end of the month.

I've never gone over 400GB.

Gold Problem Solver

Turnkeys wrote: ... Does one's data usage reset at the end of the month, ie: Jan 31st, or at the end of the individual billing cycle? ...

The Usage Meter resets on the last day of each month at 24:00 UTC.
When Standard time is in effect, that's 7PM Eastern, 6PM Central, 5PM Mountain, and 4PM Pacific.
When Daylight Saving time is in effect, it's 8PM Eastern, 7PM Central, 6PM Mountain, and 5PM Pacific.

New Poster

Because of this "new Terabyte Internet Data Usage" Plan, I'm thinking of finding a new Internet provider in my area. I use it for school work, work and down time. I am very displeased that I now have the same issues that I have with my mobile phone bill that is another plan I intend changing very soon. I'm disappointed but not surprised the Xfinity would do this if they don't better themselves soon I'm leaving their services.