Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Highlighted
New Poster

Data Usage Calculators

Who else has had experience where the data usage doesn't match what the calculators say it should be?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Here is how to beat Comcast at its own game..

This new strategy only benefits one person, Comcast.

I pay for a higher tier of service (extreme) yet I have the same cap as someone sitting on the lowest tier. I do not get a break on cost for unlimited service, i do not gain any benefit other than speed, which just pushes me over my cap that much faster.

Netflix 4k content eats about 20-24 gb of data and hour. Amazon eats about 22-28. So if we say on average you use about 24gb of data for 4k that means in about 42hrs of watching tv I would use up my entire 1tb of allotment. Now in a household like mine (which isn't uncommon) where you have 2 4k smart tv's that sometimes are both streaming... that cap can be gone in only 21 hrs! This is not something outrageous or unheard of... this is an average home with 4k tvs.

Comcast states that the average person only used 60gb or 6% of the allotment per month... yet I have never seen any raw data to support this from them.. on the other hand you can google it and see that while that might be true for people that are 60+ it isn't the average for this generation or even for current usage.

Comcast has stated they are putting this limit in place to be "fair."  So that some people aren't getting to use way more than others... yet if I only consume 2% of my limit will I recieve a credit? No, i won't.

While this hardly fixes the issue. I feel that extreme tiers should either A. Get a much higher limit. B. Get unlimited data for free  C. Get the unlimited data cost reduced to 10 bucks.

I also feel the ultra tier should get the same treatment to a lesser degree.

If you want to be "fair" then associate your limits with a speed plan. Now things just got simpler! You want more speed? Well you will need more data then!  Now you don't have people purchasing an extreme plan then being hit with a 50+ penalty for using it.

The problem is comcast will not do this, because they make more money with this system. They can sit back and charge us for those higher speeds, then charge us penalties for using them or if we want to unlock those speeds for unlimited usage we can shell over another 1200 bucks a year!

I do not know why the FCC hasn't put a halt to this corrupt practice yet, but I feel it will be a change we see in the next 5 years.

Highlighted
Contributor

while I totally agree with what you said (as well as the previous post), what we'll see in the next 5 years is the same data cap- but by then it will impact the majority of their 'customers' (are we technically customers when we dont have a choice?). Streaming will be even more prevelant, as well as higher resolution video. 

That said, there are more microwave/line of site providers popping up (wireless). That's the only place competition can occur. They can't monopolize the air.

Highlighted
Contributor

that's it exactly. As a massive last mile provider, are we supposed to believe comcast is buying data on a per user basis? of course not. they pay a static fee as they always have. And a TB of data cost them essentially nothing.

They're recouping loses from slowing subscribers, penalizing people who only pay for internet while simultaneously planning for the future when the majority of their users will go through a TB of data.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

The last 3 months my usage has been below 40gb per month. Now it is up to 1614gb by Nov 21. Called Comast support and was asked me to run virus scans and change my WiFi password.  I think it worked because it has'nt gone up in two days.

I believe now that they are limiting data computer savvy people are stealing from others, never had a problem before.

Highlighted
New Poster

data usage

How do I get to the data usage monitor

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: data usage

Try https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/

If you have the "new" version of My Account, it'll be on "https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices".

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Agreed sir or ma'am. These cockroaches dont care about the individual's story. Its all about how much they can fleece from us and get away with it. Well hopefully it can only be so much before they cross that "free market" line and into down right criminality. That day will come soon, rest assured.  All the big ones fall sooner or later.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Data Caps in Relation to FCC Net Neutrality Regulations?

The Rules FCC-1524

Adopted on February 26, 2015, the FCC's Open Internet rules are designed to protect free expression and innovation on the Internet and promote investment in the nation's broadband networks. The Open Internet rules are grounded in the strongest possible legal foundation by relying on multiple sources of authority, including: Title II of the Communications Act and Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. As part of this decision, the Commission also refrains (or "forbears") from enforcing provisions of Title II that are not relevant to modern broadband service. Together Title II and Section 706 support clear rules of the road, providing the certainty needed for innovators and investors, and the competitive choices and freedom demanded by consumers.

The Open Internet rules went into effect on June 12, 2015. They are ensuring consumers and businesses have access to a fast, fair, and open Internet.

The new rules apply to both fixed and mobile broadband service. This approach recognizes advances in technology and the growing significance of mobile broadband Internet access in recent years. These rules will protect consumers no matter how they access the Internet, whether on a desktop computer or a mobile device.

Bright Line Rules:

• No Blocking: broadband providers may not block access to legal content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
  • No Throttling: broadband providers may not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
  • No Paid Prioritization: broadband providers may not favor some lawful Internet traffic over other lawful traffic in exchange for consideration of any kind—in other words, no "fast lanes." This rule also bans ISPs from prioritizing content and services of their affiliates.

123. The no-throttling rule also addresses conduct that impairs or degrades content, applications, or services that might compete with a broadband provider’s affiliated content. For example, if a broadband provider and an unaffiliated entity both offered over-the-top applications, the no-throttling rule would prohibit broadband providers from constraining bandwidth for the competing over-the-top offering to prevent it from reaching the broadband provider’s end user in the same manner as the affiliated application.280  Page 52. FCC 15-24

So can someone from comcast explain how data caps are promoting anything in the above mentioned? Im just failing to see how data caps fall in line with these new FCC RULES? Some cable providers, not saying Comcast does, even have specific protocols about how to handle customers who bring up the net neutraility issue.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Data Caps in Relation to FCC Net Neutrality Regulations?

@Nuggy503 wrote:

The Rules FCC-1524

Adopted on February 26, 2015, the FCC's Open Internet rules are designed to protect free expression and innovation on the Internet and promote investment in the nation's broadband networks. The Open Internet rules are grounded in the strongest possible legal foundation by relying on multiple sources of authority, including: Title II of the Communications Act and Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996. As part of this decision, the Commission also refrains (or "forbears") from enforcing provisions of Title II that are not relevant to modern broadband service. Together Title II and Section 706 support clear rules of the road, providing the certainty needed for innovators and investors, and the competitive choices and freedom demanded by consumers.

The Open Internet rules went into effect on June 12, 2015. They are ensuring consumers and businesses have access to a fast, fair, and open Internet.

The new rules apply to both fixed and mobile broadband service. This approach recognizes advances in technology and the growing significance of mobile broadband Internet access in recent years. These rules will protect consumers no matter how they access the Internet, whether on a desktop computer or a mobile device.

Bright Line Rules:

• No Blocking: broadband providers may not block access to legal content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
  • No Throttling: broadband providers may not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
  • No Paid Prioritization: broadband providers may not favor some lawful Internet traffic over other lawful traffic in exchange for consideration of any kind—in other words, no "fast lanes." This rule also bans ISPs from prioritizing content and services of their affiliates.

123. The no-throttling rule also addresses conduct that impairs or degrades content, applications, or services that might compete with a broadband provider’s affiliated content. For example, if a broadband provider and an unaffiliated entity both offered over-the-top applications, the no-throttling rule would prohibit broadband providers from constraining bandwidth for the competing over-the-top offering to prevent it from reaching the broadband provider’s end user in the same manner as the affiliated application.280  Page 52. FCC 15-24

So can someone from comcast explain how data caps are promoting anything in the above mentioned? Im just failing to see how data caps fall in line with these new FCC RULES? Some cable providers, not saying Comcast does, even have specific protocols about how to handle customers who bring up the net neutraility issue.

The rule you quote is unrelated to any CAP that a customer has on their account. You can buy a huge SUV but gasoline costs the same per gallon to fill the SUV as it does to fill a small economy car. Comcast provides different 'speed' tiers which your multiple concurrent users can use their share of your bigger pipe. The total that goes through your pipe is measured and that data that is not inside/from Comcast's internal managed network (example: cloud DVR streams) counts toward the Cap (if any). Customers like me in Cap areas can upgrade to unlimited data at optional, extra cost. for info, I have streaming to-cloud security cameras (2) running 24/7 and some IOT running all the time and stream a lot. Per my iPhone's xFinity My Account app i have used 165GB through the 25th. I note you said you have 4k through Netflix but you didn't mention that Netflix charges more for that level of service (you pay more than HD only customers). Did you write Netflix and complain that your increased consumption of data from them should be free, too?

All the above is illustrative and not in any way a statement against any other customer's thoughts/feelings/beliefs about Caps and speed tiers (mine is blast 75 at the moment).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I agree with Rustyben.

Legally speaking, Comcast does not throttle your speeds beyond a certain level of consumption. They merely debit your kidneys beyond the 1TB "cap".

As you can tell, I'm just as sour as you are about the data caps, but Comcast is operating within the FCC guidelines. Arguably not within FTC guidelines for monopolistic pricing practices in the Chicago metropolitan area on gigabit service, but that's a separate matter entirely. Though I'm sure they have plenty of reasons for their pricing practice which provides more competitive pricing in areas of ATT Gigabit Internet service.

At the end of the day, Comcast shovels out boat loads of cash to a wide variety of white-shoe law firms that make sure they obey the letter of the law.

Highlighted
Contributor

Bandwidth Usage meter is useless and overestimates usage

The usage meter was supposed to help people monitor their usage, but its so bad :-

- the usage reported is much higher than what you actually use. Comcast is counting the packet overhead etc which is total bs

- 'may not reflect last 24 hours', so there's no way to tell what you actually used if you are near the limit

- 'detailed usage' is a joke, the could easily provide daily/hour;y breakdowns but it just lists the same figure under your modem, so what's the point?

The 1TB data cap is just a tactic to get more moeny for free from users without providing anything extra. So this is not really surprising. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Hello:

On November 23, 2016 3:39 AM I received an alert from Xfinity that out data usage was at 90% of the 1 Terabyte limit.

August 23 2016 X1 platform was added and used only for watching TV, not streaming (no netflix or other internet features used). Data has gone up steadily since then:

August 2016: 165 GB

September 2016: 659 GB

October 2016: 1175 GB

November: now exceeded 1 TB

11-25-2016 called customer solutions and spoke with Brent (8FA) from solutions. He said that we would need 15 gamers running 24/7 to use this much data up and must be a problem. Brent transferred from me to Roland in security; then Jellene in security level 2 in Dominican Republic.   When we hen we ked to be transferred to US she hung up on us! Brent apologized and said these were subcontractors that they could not control. (over 1 hour on phone)

8 PM: Brent called back and advised was escalating to security level 2.

11-26-2016:

I called tech support at 1:13 PM. US rep transferred me to Manila, then

transferred me to Jake in Dominican Republic who said "X1 box definitely the problem"

escalated to next level - they will call w/in 2-3 days.

I spent 12 hours 11-26-2016 checking and confirming the legitimacy of every single device MAC address, and changing our internet access passwords on all devices. No unauthorized devices were found. There is no evidence that any device is using data in our home, as we are family of 3, both parents work and one child in school all day.   Only one computer on during day and not active. Scanned all computers for viruses with Defender, Norton, Spybot and Malwarebytes and all clean.

11-26-2016: Watched one movie from Xfinity ON DEMAND (Neighbors 2) and added 20 GB to our usage, as received message at 9:39 PM that we went over the 1 TB limit.

From internet forums appears others are having similar problems and I repeated this experiment with similar results:   http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Re-Sudden-Change-in-Data-Usage/td-p/2465589.

Please look into this as we loyal paying customers with excellent credit and do not want to incur data charges for something we are not using. If this persists we will be forced to cancel our service and use another provider.

Yours truly,

Dr. Klausner

Highlighted
Contributor

Actually, I think i could be related.

Because by putting in place these caps they are hurting our ability to use outside streaming services. I mean we can physically use them, but we risk high overage rates since those services eat up our bandwidth allowance while their own streaming services are free.

So I can see this going either way tbh. The caps hurt 3rd party sites who sell streaming television, expecially those with 4k content.

Highlighted
New Poster

"In our trials, we have experimented with different offers, listened to feedback, and learned a lot."

What a joke. The only thing you learned is how to punish people smart enough to dump cable. ESPN's viewership is dropping rappidly and people are wondering why they are paying for sports channels they don't want to watch while Comcast tells them to their face that bundling is a better media deal. Never mind the fact that cable was originally established as an ad-free subscription.

Now Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and dozens of other video streaming websites and services are giving viewers all the specific shows they want to watch usually ad free. No wonder people are switching to internet-only homes. Comcast is fully capable of meeting the ever increasing demand for high-speed internet service. Your own VP of Engineering even said that datacaps were technically unnecessary. Internet is a utility, charge by the gigabyte same as electrical companies chargy by the kilowat and you won't need to implement unnecessary caps.

Highlighted
New Poster

Limited data

Had no idea xfinity was limiting data there should be some way to look up how much data is being used.if there is I can't find it.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Limited data

I am leaving Comcast for CenturyLink after nearly 20 years with Comcast. This terabyte limit for Business customers is unrealistic to say the least. I have exceeded the limit by the 27th of this month. I'm an IT and regularly send huge files to clients and receive them as well. CenturyLink also now has 1GB speed in my area. Will be paying the same with NO stupid caps, 800mb faster speed, and hopefully more reliable service. So long guys. Was fun while it lasted!

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Bandwidth Usage meter is useless and overestimates usage

My separate thread about the usage meter was deleted and converted into a post in this thread, why ??? 

Its an important issue since this is the only way to monitor usage. 

I have now verified multiple times using my router logs as well as other programs that the Comcast meter is very innacurate and grossly overestimates your usage. Is anyone senior from Comcast reading these forums? I actually feel sorry when trying to call CSR and complain because they are not the ones making these decisions, they are just low paid workers who have to deal with angry customers. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I have a contract and it seems that since there was an update to the contract and I have not consented to the new agreement the old is no longer valid. So I should be free to leave without penalty it seems.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Bandwidth Usage meter is useless and overestimates usage

I've also started monitoring with router logs as well as it seems very odd that my data usage has jumped from an average under 500GB/month to just over a terabyte in the month that they start this usage cap in our area.  Very odd indeed.  

Highlighted
Expert

@mark2smith wrote:

I have a contract and it seems that since there was an update to the contract and I have not consented to the new agreement the old is no longer valid. So I should be free to leave without penalty it seems.

It doesn't work that way.  Your contract is for your bundled services, not for any cap which is imposed. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Looking for more detailed data monitor

The first month of the 1 TB limit on our account found us over our limit with 6 days to go in the month. The detailed usage on comcasts website is lacking in detail showing only a picture of our modem/router and our gbs that we've used. I'm still reeling over how we could possibly come close to 1TB with only 2 of us in the household. We stream netflix for maybe 2 - 3 hours total. Our windows 10 laptop did have a data usage meter that said icloud photos app used 934 gb out of 947 gb but not sure how that would be possible since I only have a 200gb icloud acct. Any insights here would be most welcome. 

Does anyone know of a reliable usage meter (that doesn't cost an arm & a leg) that would detail how/where our data is being used?

Thanks a bunch

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Looking for more detailed data monitor

The usage meter is full of lies and it overinflates its numbers for exactly this reason. Even if you use other tools to track your usage it doesn't matter because the numbers will never match.

If they wanted they could easily provide daily/hourly stats on the usage meter as well as provide a smartphone widget/app to track this. Instead they count 1.5x the actual usage, won't provide details, hijack browser traffic to show popups

Highlighted
Expert

@Adent wrote:

The usage meter is full of lies and it overinflates its numbers for exactly this reason. Even if you use other tools to track your usage it doesn't matter because the numbers will never match.

If they wanted they could easily provide daily/hourly stats on the usage meter as well as provide a smartphone widget/app to track this. Instead they count 1.5x the actual usage, won't provide details, hijack browser traffic to show popups

the Xfinity MyAccount app shows the current usage under the internet tab in the menu.

Highlighted
New Poster

Complaining to Comcast is useless. Until we can get a decent wireless solution (which Google is making significant headway on) we are stuck with this horrible company that is gouging us under the monopoly they have on our data options. I am opening a complaint with my state's attorney general. I know that Comcast is already on his radar for their past shady, corrupt, actions. And this "data cap" is just that. There are many problems with the way this was rolled out, and I know Bob will be looking at this closely.

Highlighted
New Poster

caps won't last five years. As they will either outlaw them or too many people will switch to someone without a cap. Especially with how much 4k streaming will be used this year and how much internet has become a utility. Not a chance it even survives 2 more years at this rate.

This is just comcast being morons trying to figure out how to fill in profit loss from all the people leaving cable. And with the end of cable/satellite approaching us they're trying to make more on the internet, INSTEAD of doing somethign smart like what ATT/DirectTVnow has done with just creating an app and a live streaming package on AppleTV.  Comcast won't last much longer with a nation wide cap or they will remove it and follow DirectTVnow.

Highlighted
Expert

Not all Comcast areas have a cap.

Highlighted
Expert

F.Y.I.;

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-find-area

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

check again,comcast is capping most everywhere now.

Contributor

Data Usage is Zero

This morning when I checked my data usage it is indicationg that I have 0 of 0GB remianing. I checked it yesterday and only had used 41GB of the 1024GB (4%). I am hoping this is only a glitch. Can anyone elaborate?

Usage_Meter_20161205.jpg

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Data Usage is Zero

Hmmm..  There must be something wrong with the system, I just checked mine and got  :

"Data usage details are unavailable at this time."

Yesterday I had approx. 6 GB usage.     

ciao, bj

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I Dont care what that rule says. i pay for a fixed speed not amount of data so your gas story doesnt apply. 1 terabyte cap = 4mb/sec . i  pay for 75 Mbps that = 22.8 TB per month.
we use little over 1 terabyte every 9 days .i have 5 teenage kids plus wife and i work differnet shifts .(we are cord cutters which this data cap is actual about.) we have at minium one hd stream going in house 24/7 sometimes on a saturday there maybe 3 hd streams going. 2 music streams and a few games being played. That we i paid for 75 Mbps so i can saturate if need. there cost if i use every bit of bandwidth is same if i use none. they make around 62.00 a month profit on just me according to there 3rd quater/2016 sec filling they made 1.4 BILLION on 4.1 billion income a 14.2% increase in profits. and there stock threw the roof now becuse they asume FCC going away as far as internet goes.we will really in really bad shape than. How is it in korea,japen,sweden to name a few they get 1 gig up/down for $35 a month and make money. They should be forced to break internet off into seperate independant company.

Highlighted
New Poster

data useage

The data usage page is a slight improvement-better than nothing but not by much.  Why does the screen have a disclaimer that the previous 24 hours may not be available-hogwash.  You know right up to the second what I've used.  Why can't you share it?  And when I click on 'details'?  What a joke.  You call that a detail?  I call detail when I can see my useage minute by minute or hour by hour or over a custom specified date range in a graph.

Come on.  Get with the program.

Highlighted
Expert

@6thstreetfisher wrote:

I Dont care what that rule says. i pay for a fixed speed not amount of data so your gas story doesnt apply. 1 terabyte cap = 4mb/sec . i  pay for 75 Mbps that = 22.8 TB per month.
we use little over 1 terabyte every 9 days .i have 5 teenage kids plus wife and i work differnet shifts .(we are cord cutters which this data cap is actual about.) we have at minium one hd stream going in house 24/7 sometimes on a saturday there maybe 3 hd streams going. 2 music streams and a few games being played. That we i paid for 75 Mbps so i can saturate if need. there cost if i use every bit of bandwidth is same if i use none. they make around 62.00 a month profit on just me according to there 3rd quater/2016 sec filling they made 1.4 BILLION on 4.1 billion income a 14.2% increase in profits. and there stock threw the roof now becuse they asume FCC going away as far as internet goes.we will really in really bad shape than. How is it in korea,japen,sweden to name a few they get 1 gig up/down for $35 a month and make money. They should be forced to break internet off into seperate independant company.

the unlimited plan is available for heavy users and removes worry of how much data is consumed.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I never used over about 488GB a month. Now 11 days in, it says that I'm at 403GB. I will be going over this month. Suspicious to say the least.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Viper122 wrote:

I never used over about 488GB a month. Now 11 days in, it says that I'm at 403GB. I will be going over this month. Suspicious to say the least.

I have been using a lot of Chromecast streaming, which is pushing my TB limit.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Expert

@Viper122 wrote:

You may have someone using the X1 app TVGO channels TVGO on-demand. both cound count for all usage even in your home.

Highlighted
New Poster

Internet Data Usage

Interesting that NOBODY ever disclosed the fact that Comcast/Xfinity has placed a cap on Internet usage. When I ordered my service, and spoke to 2 different people, neither one ever disclosed the fact that I would only be given X amount of data usage before being charged...  

Poor business tactics and  customer service.  Very disappointed and very tempted to cancel my contract 

Highlighted
New Poster

I'd like someone to explain how, in a house that has had zero changes to persons, habits, etc, my data usage has gone up 30% in the last 3 months, and how this month not even 1/2 through the month, I'm almost at the 1tb limit.   I have been monitoring the last couple days, and with my router UNPLUGGED I had 2gb of data since yesterday.  I'm thinking something ain't right here?  12 days, almost a TB.  

overage on xfinituy.PNG
Highlighted
New Poster

Let me correct that - I unplugged my MODEM. Not my router.  My moden now disconnected means either my X1 box is doing it, or nothing.  X1 box is NOT showing any changes, yet according to XFinity I have 2gb of data since I unplugged the modem.  This isn't possible.  HD Netflix is about 3gb per hour.  that means every 8 hours would be 24gb.  72 per day.  Full time, non stop streaming of HD video.  That means that EVERY DAY this month, non stop, I'd have to be streaming Netflix HD on at least one TV.  That just isn't happening and hasn't been.  8 hours a day/night of sleep.  8 hours a day/night at work. I could see 10gb a day, maybe 20gb a day TOTAL usage.  

But their meter doesn't show you diddly.  They know what traffic and where, they know the overhead packets and routing protocol packets which are theirs to deal with just for having the service.

There is something very suspcious about this.

Highlighted
Expert

Usage of xfinitywifi hotspots can count too toward your cap. Did you try changing all your account passwords that have access to the network as a login name/pass ?

Highlighted
Administrator

@ChampaignCowboy

Just so you know all data usage delivered over your home XFINITY Internet service, both downloaded and uploaded, is counted towards your data plan, regardless of the source.

For example, all Internet-based video streaming and download services, including Internet-delivered programming available through http://xfinity.com/watch and XFINITY apps, is included in the calculation of monthly usage. XFINITY TV and XFINITY Voice services that are not delivered over the Internet and are not received by you using your XFINITY Internet service do not count.

If you believe the meter to be inaccurate or there may be some type of breech, we recommend that you contact our Customer Security Assurance Department. They are available 6:00 AM - 2:00 AM ET, seven days a week, and can be reached at 1-877-807-6581.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Thing is, X1 TV devices have apps like "Netflix" which traverse the open internet. (they want you to use it). The data can and will be added to the monthly allowance of internet use. Pay them $50 a month for unlimited and you'll be fine. 🙂 (get used to it)

Highlighted
New Poster

Ok - so I just received that nasty email from Comcast about exceeded the cap. Unbelievable and unethical business practices of something which would not be tolerated anywhere else in the world. I wish we were like Europe where we had anywhere form 6-8 different ISP's who compete as it should be for internet access.

I have been having major computer issues and on my 3d motherboard this month and after having to redownload all my Steam and Origin games with every install I've hit the Comcast max. Anyone had any luck talking to Customer service? I figure it's useless to try since the so called "company" has no repercussions for terrible customer service.

-Kat

Highlighted
Administrator

@meerkat154

If you received a letter from us about data usage and would like to discuss it further, that must be done with our Customer Security Assurance team. They are the only team that can help work with you to reduce usage, discuss usage related questions, or help identify and eliminate any possible threats. Or, if you would like, they are also the team to discuss and/or add our unlimited data plan. They will provide you with the help you are looking for. 

You can contact them at 1-877-807-6581, they are available 6:00 AM - 2:00 AM ET, seven days a week.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast say I've used 900gb in 2 weeks, my router say I've used 500gb in 30 days. Who's gonna win?

I got an alert today about having only 91gb left for the rest of dec. So I checked my router bandwidth monitor and it seems I've only used about 300gb in the last 2 weeks. What's going on with comcast? How are they monitoring this? Obviously, I trust my router more than comcast. 

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast say I've used 900gb in 2 weeks, my router say I've used 500gb in 30 days. Who's gonna wi

@locngoc wrote:

I got an alert today about having only 91gb left for the rest of dec. So I checked my router bandwidth monitor and it seems I've only used about 300gb in the last 2 weeks. What's going on with comcast? How are they monitoring this? Obviously, I trust my router more than comcast. 

I use my iPhone Xfinity My Account app (bottom of the Xfinity Internet option) to check my usage every day because I have family members who use streaming services.  I don't want to get surprised to find out I am running out of usage prematurely.

It has always agreed whenever I check my Comcast Account usage.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast say I've used 900gb in 2 weeks, my router say I've used 500gb in 30 days. Who's gonna wi

RobertWy wrote: ... I use my iPhone Xfinity My Account app ... to check my usage every day ... It has always agreed whenever I check my Comcast Account usage.

What is the point of comparing your Comcast reported usage to your Comcast reported usage? What does that accomplish?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@BruceW wrote:

RobertWy wrote: ... I use my iPhone Xfinity My Account app ... to check my usage every day ... It has always agreed whenever I check my Comcast Account usage.

What is the point of comparing your Comcast reported usage to your Comcast reported usage? What does that accomplish?

Good question.  I am verifying the validity of both sources.  If they don't agree, then I have an issue that may need to be addressed,

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

@BruceW wrote:

Good question.  I am verifying the validity of both sources.  If they don't agree, then I have an issue that may need to be addressed,

Surely you realize that agreement between those numbers tells you nothing about whether the usage reported is accurate? You are, ultimately, comparing one number to itself?