Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Highlighted
New Poster

New Usage effective November 1st

I was trying to set up the usage notification via the email that was sent to all customers on October 7th.  I spent a bit of time, before contacting Customer Service, to see if I could set up the usage notification myself.  I wasn't able to do it on my own, so I called Customer Service.  After being on the phone with a tier 3 rep he had to transfer me to a tier 2 rep...only to find out that the notification will not be available until after November 1st.  The website and email do not have that information neither do the CS reps that are tier 3.  

Can't they put something in the email or post that information online before customers waste their valuable time trying to set up something that is almost a month away.  

...Long story short, don't bother setting up your alert until after November 1st!

Hope this was helpful~

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: New Usage effective November 1st

It's quite simple, really.

Don't pay them. Regardless of how much data you use, pay only your regular monthly bill and tell Comcast to pound sand. Data caps are are violation of Net Neutrality rules, as they are not related to "network management." You don't pay more for cable TV if you watch a lot of it, and you shouldn't (in my case, will not) pay more for your internet just because you use it a lot.

I'm sure the trigger-warning Nancy's will probably censor this post.

My new hobby will be to find ways to remove Comcast from my city and revoke their franchise agreement. I encourage everyone to file a complaint with the FCC - and DO NOT PAY for any "overages." No matter what.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Data cap???

Just received an email informing me that Comcast will be placing a data cap on my usage.  I know I probably won't go over the cap, but that's not the point.  I originally signed up for UNLIMITED internet use and I pay almost $80 per month for 25 Mbps service.  So how much will Comcast be cutting from my monthly bill for not providing the same service I signed up for?  Nothing, not a dime.  I'll admit, the service has been very reliable, but I've been receiving offers from WOW! for $40/month($50 with equipment) for 60 Mbps service with no data cap.  Looks like I'll be switching my service...and no, I do not work for WOW!...I'm just tired of being taken advantage of.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Data cap???

Evidently Comcast is going to enforce a hard cap of 1TB by have nation-wide outages. That's the karma train coming for you, Comcast. 

Highlighted
New Poster

data cap wth

if a data cap limit is coming why is the monthly usage not listed and easy to locate.

dont need the explanation of some users blah blah. if you dont know please dont waste our time.
Highlighted
Contributor
Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: data cap wth

I have been with Comcast for years now.  Lots of people have bashed them, but I was always happy with my internet and TV, speed was great and as advertised or even better.  On top of that I was even able to renew my 2 year contracts to get a better rate and save a little bit each month, which I just recently did again.

Now Comcast wants to implement a 1TB data cap?  I will not put up with that, even if my usage is well below the 1TB limit.   Data, and data usage, increases over time, sure 1TB is "more than enough for 99% of customers" right now, but soon it won't be, and then it will be too late to fight the data caps and Comcast's evil plan will have succeded.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: data cap wth

it's not more than 99% their users use less, that's a lie. But let's say it's true, since 99% use far less, then there would be no need for the cap- since there's no benefit to the 99% that use 'far less'. The fact of the matter is broadband pricing has only gone down, Comcast pays a static rate, yet they continue to increase it for their residential customers. pay far less=charge much more. The Comcast model. I would pay 3x more for internet from someone a comparable ISP that's not corrupt.
Highlighted
Contributor

I was reading about that- how do you go about finding the franchiser in your area? 

Your pound sand model is the one I decided to follow as well.I also suggest others do the same.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

When I signed up with comcast there was no data cap.  I did not agree to a data cap and wouldn't have started service if there was a cap.  Comcast has no method of email contact so I can dispute this change to my account.  This is garbage.  It's like moving into an 1200 square foot apartment with a lease and having the owner tell you to move into a 600 square foot apartment for the same price.  

Highlighted
Contributor

If you don't pay them they'll just send you bills, add fines, your account will go to collections, damage your credit rating, and they'll cut off your service.

There is NOTHING a consumer can do short of cancelling service and Comcast doesn't care because in most areas they have a monopoly. Just look at this thread, no one from Comcast has bothered to reply, I doubt they even read it.

Filing an FCC complaint is useless - they'll send you a generic email reposnse, then forward it to Comcast who'll give you a call, then FCC marks your complaint as 'resolved'. Its happened to many people. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Accessed account and receive message Data Usage Meter results are unavailable.

Highlighted
New Poster

data usage

how can i keep track of my monthly data usage?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: data usage

@DRAGONcobb wrote:

how can i keep track of my monthly data usage?

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

So if you use over 1Tb xfinity is going to charge you extra. But anyone who would use that much data already pays extra because we pay for the faster speed internet. So maybe instead of trying to charge your customers extra to "protect" the 99% (yeah right), if you are that concerned then stop charging the monthly fee by speed and start charging by data. But I guess we don't really have to worry to much longer, pretty soon AT&T will have their GB network up & running in Jax and then you will see a huge drop in customers that you keep trying to overcharge for your services.

Highlighted
Contributor

Just a way for Xfinity to ripoff their customers even more for a service we are already paying for. Why put the limit at an extra $200 per month and not the $50 per month that you would have charged them ahead of time.  Should someone have to pay around possibly $400 for internet service?   Really?  Your speeds do not even come close to what you advertise by the tiers 90% of the time!

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Post removed due to a forum language filter bypass violation.

Highlighted
Contributor

what notification, regarding the cap? I think most of us got those

Highlighted
Contributor

whatever you do, dont ever use their equipment. it's such a scam.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage Overage?

I recieved the email informing me about the new cap on data. It also informed me that my average usage a month is 212 GB a month.  With that amount used we are way over the cap. We don't stream movies. I do have 2 gamers that I'll have to cut the cord on but I'm just wondering how much data is going out as Comcast uses me as a hot spot? That is the only way I can explain how my usage jumped 15 GB in 2 days with both the gamers gone.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage Overage?

@mjapplecolo wrote:
It also informed me that my average usage a month is 212 GB a month.  With that amount used we are way over the cap. .

The cap is a *terabyte* (1000 gigabytes).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Not what I signed up/agreed too when I switched from UVerse to Comcast. Making a change like this 2 months into a new contract is disrespectful at least. If I new this was going to happen, it would have effected my decision to switch, and likely will effect my decision to switch back when I live up to 'my' end of the agreement by keeping the service for 2 years. After that, I go shopping again for my phone, internet and TV service, specially if I start hitting the cap and have to pay more.

For those who are starting new service...or even contract free...sure....this make sense....but not for those who just started contract? Will you let me out of my contract and pay for any costs I might have switching back to UVerse? Probably not.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Ugh.  I have many people in my home (big family).  Two work from home and do a lot of file transfers.  We have many devices connected.  A lot of video\audio streaming.  Cloud usage (especially phoines uploading photos\videos).  We download a lot of things (PDFs, pictures, etc.). A lot of gaming.  So I take a look and we average currently 850GB of data usage.  A high of 967GB and and low of 637GB.  I never knew I was this high!  Ugh!  So I think I will be go over soon as the trend on my usage is upwards.  So I am not a happy camper.

Regular Contributor

Things that make you say hmmmmmmmmm

My usage in July was 873GB, August 997GB and then in September, when I had 2 kids go back to college and the other 3 out of the house at school 8-9 hours 5 days a week, my usage was 961GB. I called and they don't have a record of what my usage was prior to July.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Jim721 - The money grab is unacceptable.  In an increasingly digital age the data cap needs to increase AND it should increase with each tier of faster connection that is being paid for.

Highlighted
New Poster

Please help me understand how I can go from using 43GB of data the previous month, but this month I used over 1
TB of data doing the same exact things I did the previous month? EXACTLY THE SAME EVERYTHING!!! You guys have some serious nerve... it seems as if you rigged it now that you switched over to a data limit, and are inflating the numbers. Will probably switch to AT&T since they offer a cheaper unlimited plan, and your customer service is not helpful, or understandable AT ALL.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Comcast,

Remove the data cap from my account or I will be taking legal action against you. This is a violation of my service agreement, and I did not sign any modifications to my terms of service to allow this. This is also against Net Neutrality rules. I am tired of your illegal methods to entrap your customers into continuously paying more for repeatedly unstable service that is not as advertised. Either meet my demands or I will be switching to another service at YOUR expense.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Expert

@SugarD-x wrote:

Comcast,

Remove the data cap from my account or I will be taking legal action against you. This is a violation of my service agreement, and I did not sign any modifications to my terms of service to allow this. This is also against Net Neutrality rules. I am tired of your illegal methods to entrap your customers into continuously paying more for repeatedly unstable service that is not as advertised. Either meet my demands or I will be switching to another service at YOUR expense.

Thank you.

No, it's not.  Net Neutrality only pertains to throttling your services.  Comcast won't be throttling, but if you go over 1 TB of data you can expect to pay more, or you can pay an extra $50 a month for no limit.

As far as any service agreement, Comcast's TOS states plainly it can change the terms of service at any time.

We may change our prices, fees, the Service(s) and/or the terms and conditions of this Agreement in the future. Unless this Agreement or applicable law specifies otherwise, we will give you thirty (30) days prior notice of any significant change to this Agreement. If you find the change unacceptable, you have the right to cancel your Service(s). However, if you continue to receive Service(s) after the end of the notice period (the “Effective Date”) of the change, you will be considered to have accepted the changes. You may not modify this Agreement by making any typed, handwritten, or any other changes to it for any purpose.

http://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement.html

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Post Removed per Forum Guidelines. Your inserted pic contained your IP Address & the MAC Address of your modem (personal identifying information)

Highlighted
New Poster

Data usage

Anybody know how I can find out where all my data is being used. I just went over the terabyte cap and I have no idea how this could happen. No one home most of day and only light browsing during some evenings. A few Netflix moviesduring the month  but not many.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Data usage

I do not know of a place specifically that will tell what is using data in the sense is it streaming music, uploading files, etc. but below are some thoughts on things you can do to monitor your overall data usage.

At this page, https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-is-the-terabyte-data-usage-pl... under the Available Tools heading is some information on how to check your data usage.  Using these tools, in combination with tracking what you are doing on the internet for a given time period might help narrow down what is using the data.

Information on this page, https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-will-i-be-alerted-data-usage will help you setup alert notifications so that you can be made aware ahead of time that you are reaching the data cap limit.  

Hope this information helps you investigate your situation and find out what is going on.

Highlighted
New Poster

It’s obvious that Comcast has an agenda against large families and wants to do what it can to make sure few of their children grow up to become successful.

Sure they give 1,024gb to a household, but they don't make any adjustments for the number of customers in that house. A house with 2 parents and 8children will each only have 100gb to use, a totally unreasonable number when you consider windows updates alone might use that in one moth. With this, we can reasonably expect some less well off parents to restrict their children from doing research and online homework, which could lower their grades and lower their life prospects.

Comcast is against large families and dislikes when children become educated.

They say less than 99% of their customers use more than 1tb/month. They don't say anything about the number of households that use more than 1tb/month.

\s

But really, if you want to end this, when you write to your congress reps about this, point out how it has a larger negative effect on families and children in school... politicians always defend families.

PS. Why are we not suprised that this is happening right before 4k video? Sure they can say 700hrs of HD video (total to a household?) per month right now. In 6months when netflix starts doing 4k... 200hrs?

Highlighted
New Poster

This is such an absurd thing for Comcast to implement. The email says "Our data plans are based on a principle of fairness. Those who use more Internet data, pay more. And those who use less Internet data, pay less. If you believe you will need more than one terabyte of data, we offer an Unlimited Data option." 

This cap has nothing to do with fairness. It's another excuse for Comcast to take more money from their customers. I have no issue with people paying for what they use, but for this to be fair, prices should go down for those that don't use as much data. Instead, people are getting charged the same amount of money for internet speeds that never reach the actual speed of the service offered, while the 1% of customers that use more than 1TB are just getting ripped off by your scheme. After my contract period ends, I will definitely move away from Comcast before you guys implement more "fair" policies that just keeps hurting the consumers while you continue to reap more profit without ever improving your infrastructure.

Highlighted
New Poster

@ppipat wrote:

This is such an absurd thing for Comcast to implement. The email says "Our data plans are based on a principle of fairness. Those who use more Internet data, pay more. And those who use less Internet data, pay less. If you believe you will need more than one terabyte of data, we offer an Unlimited Data option." 

This cap has nothing to do with fairness. It's another excuse for Comcast to take more money from their customers. I have no issue with people paying for what they use, but for this to be fair, prices should go down for those that don't use as much data. Instead, people are getting charged the same amount of money for internet speeds that never reach the actual speed of the service offered, while the 1% of customers that use more than 1TB are just getting ripped off by your scheme. After my contract period ends, I will definitely move away from Comcast before you guys implement more "fair" policies that just keeps hurting the consumers while you continue to reap more profit without ever improving your infrastructure.

If you are in an area where this was implemented on November 1, 2016, you can get out of your contract right now with no fees. Acording to http://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement.html They have to give "thirty (30) days prior notice of any significant change". Comcast made the mistake of sending out the e-mails and letters about the new change on or after October 6th. This puts them in breach of the contract. If you call and point it out they will let you out of it.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Data Usage

Hi,

Through the news I learned there is now a 1 TB data cap enforced in my area. So, I use my employer's Wi-Fi to download my 4K movies. Yet, I am wondering if the Data Usage meter works https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter/ . I checked today and it says less than 1 GB used in November even though I watched YouTube videos for a while. I also checked the previous months, and it shows I used less than 1 GB. How can I trust this meter? It's obviously not working but Comcast will charge me anyway once I reach the 1 TB cap?!

My usage after watching hours of YouTube videos, witchcraft or the meter is not working...My usage after watching hours of YouTube videos, witchcraft or the meter is not working...

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

New 1TB data caps implemented Nov 1, 2016

1) As content becomes more data intensive in conjunction with the each 12 to 18 month performance increase a users data consumption will naturally increase. How often will this limitation be raised to reflect the increased data demands?

2) I have two teenagers whose usage is inconsistent and unpredictable. Comcast's current data usage view does not reflect real-time consumption and even goes so far as to warn users that the last 24 hours may/may not be included. This is similar to providing a car without an accelerator or brake. When can clients expect Comcast to provide real-time data usage metrics ideally delivered to the owners system tray and additional individual account based administration tools to enable users to administer this new limitation?

Highlighted
New Poster

First off the fact that I have a data limit on my home internet is completly insane. Secondly I don't trust comcasts readings of my data usage. In the month of October according to my account I used 604 gb of data for the whole month and now all of a sudden in LESS than 8 days I've used 1 TERABYTE!!! I'm calling a whole ship load of manure on that one. Comcast I cannot find the words to describe how much I hate your service and how much I loath the fact that you are the only provider in my area that provides fast internet.

Highlighted
New Poster

Data caps are a mistake.  I have been a Comcast customer for over 15 years and if Comcast continues with the data caps I will leave as soon as I can find other options.  I am low income and have a disabled wife and autistic son who's line to the outside world is the internet. Comcast is already squeezing me for plenty of cash.  I feel this idea of data caps are bad business and will become an access barrier for lower income people. This is nothing more than a cash grab by the company.  Corporations need to stop thinking of nothing of profits or you will find yourself out of work.  People are sick of the corporate greed.  I have no problem paying for a service, but when I am have been paying for unlimited access and you go and change that without my consent I feel that you have violated the bond between customer and company. Until Comcast changes the policy I will continue to speak out against the company.  I have a platform which listened to in over 10 countries world wide and in over 100 cities in the US.  I will not be silent on this issue.       

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

would it be possible for those of us that are on MUCH higher speed tiers to have an increased data cap like other cable companies use?  Example, I am on the Extreme 350 and since I am a power user 1TB is easy to hit. I was going to get the new D3.1  1Gb plan but that is still capped to 1TB.  so after learning that from the team that called me i canceled the order and said no thank you I will not go to a 1Gbps speed where i can hit my cap in just a couple of days.  Can someone in the upper levels of comcast look into this and maybe give people on 350 or 550 and even 1gig, maybe give them a 2TB limit instead. yes it is still a cap, but more suitable for their speed tiers.  

thank you for reading.

Highlighted
New Poster

I already dumped your tv and phone. Just waiting for USI to run fiber through my street (only a few blocks away) so I can dump your internet as well. I don't think you people have even 1 happy customer. New technologies and horrible customer service will run your service to the ground. Hope its sooner than later.

Highlighted
New Poster

Internet Data Limit

WHY THIS DATA LIMIT IS UNFAIR?

The whole point behind getting an internet to use at home was so I didn't have to stress about what type of internet I am using and worry about data limits and things like that. So now, not only do I need to monitor cell phone data, I have to monitor my Xfinity Home Internet Service which I have always been extremely happy with, but this really really ticks me off.

It always has to do with money. Some random blokes out there that are using multiple terabytes a month ruin it for everyone. Your little e-mail you sent out said it would be cheaper if we use less than a terabyte.  So is my bill going to be credited if I only use say 500GB.

I highly doubt it.

Bad move on your part

Highlighted
Contributor

See I have a big problem with these caps you keep trying to shove down our throats.

First you have never been able to supply an accurate meter. I am more inclined to trust my own router firmware that tracks my data usage and your numbers have always been significantly higher than my own (do a quick google on this to verify it happens for all users that actually monitor their own usage)

Second you are punishing people who get their content and media from other sources outside of comcast. You are now penalizing me for watching 4k content on amazon prime and/or netflix... yet you still after over a year of promising still do not have 4k content!!

Third you are double dipping. You not only charge me a rate for how fast I can consume my data, but now you also limited it and charge me an overage for using that higher speed you are selling me. Why are all speed teir caps the same? This one point to just straight greed. Charge for one or the other, but not both!

Lastly there is no need for these caps. Many of companies do not cap their users and are having zero issues. Comcast is just using these caps to bleed more money from it's customers. I would go as far as to say that most places that have comcast are limited to just ONE cable option and one dsl options. The problem is dsl is slow and outdated so it actually isn't an option for most.

So now we are forced to deal with these caps and ways of bleeding the customer until fiber networks become more popular and people have a real alternative to move to.

I recommend anyone that is not happy with this to file a complain with the FCC. I have and am still waiting for comcasts response (they are about 2 weeks past the 30 day limit they had)

Highlighted
Contributor

The cosy of bandwidth is going down, yet comcast is charing more and now punshing those that stream/ dont use cable and simultanously planning for the future. It may only affect 25% of your cutomers now, but 3 years from now it will affect more. Yet as a last mile provider comcast pays a static rate (roughly .01/TB). the world has changed, but comcast hasnt. "the worst company in America" found a way to actually treat it's customers worse (the ones that dont have another option which is most). Amazing what the prices look like in markets where Google is available.

The 300 gigs (this is comical) to 1 TB and presenting it as a favor to the customers is more insulting that anything.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

You're a MOD, whats the difference? Your anaology abot streaming and gaming (and comcast being better than Netflix) is laughable. You're a schill, dont pretend like you're some unbiased comcast user with thousands of responses. I hope you at least get paid for being a sheep. BAAAAA

Highlighted
New Poster

No..This is comcast being anticompetitive. have a family that uses sling? i think its time for the justice dept to look at breaking up coimcst into small cocmpanies like they did the bells

Highlighted
New Poster

Here is how to beat Comcast at its own game..

Buy the expensive service that isnt metered and put up antennas with a open wifi that can cover a entire apt complex. on the gateway router build a vpn tunnel to a service provider.. it will cost comcast a lot of money..

Highlighted
New Poster

Monthly Limited Data Download.

I just got an email from Comcast saying I have 1TB of data to down monthly. If it's going over it will be a penalty charge. I want to know how and where to monitor my data. Please help.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Monthly Limited Data Download.

@qu_thien1 wrote:

I just got an email from Comcast saying I have 1TB of data to down monthly. If it's going over it will be a penalty charge. I want to know how and where to monitor my data. Please help.

If you log into your account and go to MyServices you may see the new page for devices......   below the devices you will see Usage Overview..... click on View Data Usage and you will eventually reach the Usage Meter.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Here is how to beat Comcast at its own game..

A terabyte of data costs Comcast a fraction of a penny. Data for fixed line or home internet is extremely cheap. The data usage fees are simply a way for Comcast to make extra cash and penalize customers who stream video instead of purchasing TV service from Comcast. This is purely a money grab for markets where Comcast had no broadband competition.