Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Rustyben wrote: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

yet another link no charge for 'internal' data from comcast.

It would be terribly nice if Comcast would adjust that page and/or the "what counts towards my data plan" page so that the two would be in agreement.  

There's nothing like consistency, and this is nothing like consistency.

Regular Contributor

Comcast should just step up and offer what AT&T is offering - FREE Unlimited Data for customers that subscribe to Tv & Internet.
Google Fiber is 10 miles down the road from my house. Comcast is offering Free Unlimited Data to it's customers in that market because they are scared of Google Fiber.
All you have to do is call up and ask or go to a service center. Comcast will not offer free unlimited data in my market since there is no competition. A Comcast service rep verified this for me.
Expert
Moved:

Contributor

It's interesting and fishy that my internet usage doubles once these caps are announced.  I was consistantly using less than 300 GB for a while.  My May usage was 294 GB for example.  In june, it jumped up to over 500 GB even though my family was out of town for a week. In July, we supposedly used over 600 GB.  We don't think we've been using our internet any more than we have in the past.  We still are quite a bit under the 1 TB limit but it's concerning that our usage has suddenly increased once caps are implemented.  

New Poster

I, like many I suspect, recieved an email today from Comcast / Xfinity regarding their impending Data Cap plan.  In my particular market, it is set to be at 1TB.  While that seems like an adequate amount of data for a one month period, I did not sign a contract for service with Xfinity agreeing to their terms of this agreement.  I would suspect that it could be considered Breech of Contract, as at the time of signing there was no provision in the contract for this nonsense.

The issue I have with the whole premise is that it has never been an issue before.  In fact, in their email they state that less than 1% of their customers use more than 1TB per month.  If that is true, then why do they need to set an arbitrary limit of 1TB and then threaten to charge extra per month for those that go over?  OH, NEVERMIND, I JUST ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION!!!  The whole premise is to gouge their customers, just like they are famous for doing!  If 99% of their customers truly use less than 1 TB - why charge extra for the 1% of the time there is an overage? 

I had thought that Xfinity had learned from the past and their questionable billing practices - that's why I came back as a customer.  This move only serves to drive customers away again....SMH

Contributor

@hookedonjeep wrote:

I, like many I suspect, recieved an email today from Comcast / Xfinity regarding their impending Data Cap plan.  In my particular market, it is set to be at 1TB.  While that seems like an adequate amount of data for a one month period, I did not sign a contract for service with Xfinity agreeing to their terms of this agreement.  I would suspect that it could be considered Breech of Contract, as at the time of signing there was no provision in the contract for this nonsense.

The issue I have with the whole premise is that it has never been an issue before.  In fact, in their email they state that less than 1% of their customers use more than 1TB per month.  If that is true, then why do they need to set an arbitrary limit of 1TB and then threaten to charge extra per month for those that go over?  OH, NEVERMIND, I JUST ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION!!!  The whole premise is to gouge their customers, just like they are famous for doing!  If 99% of their customers truly use less than 1 TB - why charge extra for the 1% of the time there is an overage? 

I had thought that Xfinity had learned from the past and their questionable billing practices - that's why I came back as a customer.  This move only serves to drive customers away again....SMH

Nothing will change until a customer/attorney takes them to court....in front of judge whose also a Comcast customer......

Then he'll make them change 

Frequent Visitor

I fail to understand how you can pretend that you are doing your customers a favor buy limiting their data usage period, I think that the truth may be more likely related to the fact that Comcast wants to totally monopolize the public viewing of movies etc... This way you can charge a lot more money for your subscription fees. I happen to enjoy Netflix and Amazon but now must question their use in the interest of not exceeding your NEWLY IMPOSED DATA CAP . I often use Netflix to get ultra high definition programming which you do not offer. I am sure that this uses double the data of 1080 programming. At the end of the day it's about money and your executives obviously think that that's is more important than customer loyalty. $10 for every additional 50 gigs up to a maximum of $200 or $50 dollars a month for unlimited whether you exceed the cap or not.  Like it really costs that much more money for that amount of data. I am already paying just south of $200 a month for your services, I guess that's not enough for you. Netflix can offer better quality programming for a fraction of the cost. Good job ticking your customers off by nickel and dimeing them to death.

Expert

the 4k programming is sent in mpeg4 container that uses the same or less data rate of the 1080 mpeg3 stream. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

The problem is that Comcast charges to much for TV and as for the Internet service I have the top speed 200mbps for the about the same price as the HSD Performance 25 package but in certain parts of my state California doesn't have data caps but only in one city Fresno!!! But the same here with all of the streaming on 5 devices I don't use 300GB a month

Expert

If you ask me, there should be no data cap on a home broadband network. I understand for cellular to get them to provide data, but home broadband customers are alomst paying $100/month just for internet.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Given, that the Portland - Vancouver area was not on a data trial plan, are we at a 300 gb cap or is there no cap for data usage.  Currently I'm on Performance plus 25(?) and on my mobile app I see where I've used over 200 gb because I signed up for Netflix. It looks as though, basd on the meter, if I continue to view some programs on Netflix, I might go over 300 gb, so I really need to know asap where I stand.

Frequent Visitor

Data Usage Overages

Is there anyone that can help in all of Comcast?

I have had Comcast for years and on my 300G plan after 3-4 years of use with no overages we had an outage and that is when we received one of the new black stand on end modems. All of the sudden overages of 100-200G. No one in the house could explain it and I did the normal call support getting bounced around, reset this and reset that, change user name and PW on modem. We have done everything several times but still we had 100G of unexplained usage. It is just me and my wife and 4-10 hours any given day we are out of the house. My kids come to visit and stay a few weeks so I expect the usage to rise, it doesn't. It just stays at that same overage. So now comes the great 1000G. Ok June 2016 they said I used 473G, finally that might be right my 20 y/o was home from GATech and was on the internet every night with a flight simulator,  but well under 1000G.  And lo and behold July and August 2016 I am busting the 1000G plan by 150G. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!!!! My son went back to campus early August 2. I don't give a load of manure if you can give me $20 for a late tech. Unfortunately, I will call <Edited for violating forum guidelines: Flaming> one last time. I know if I call them again I'm going to tell some agent undeservedly what to do with their reset instructions and give me the mailing address for their boxes. Give me back a set of rabbit ears, a book of stamps, and a landline. What's ironic is that I am a service manager in the telecommunications field.  If I even heard a whisper that one of my customers was having this much trouble with my service I would bend over backwards to fix it and not bend the customer over. Fix my issues!

New Poster

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

Comcast's data usage differs from my actual data usage. Using total download and upload for each of the past three calendar months Comcast has inflated my usage by +8% in May, +25% in June, +9% in July and currently August is tracking at +13%, Data usage for all interfaces on my network are tracked. Can you please explain why Comcast is reporting my usage higher than it actually is?

Regular Visitor

Last months data overage being rolled over into this month but unused data doesn't?

I use a dd-wrt enabled router and have been tracking my data usage now since July. All of the data is accounted for and no devices are connected directly to my modem.

Last month (August 2016) I had 1,236 GB of download traffic and 48GB of upload traffic totaling 1,284 GB of WAN traffic. 

The my services tab for August currently show me using 1,144GB of total WAN traffic for a difference of 140GB of unaccounted traffic. 

This month (September 2016) I have 556 GB of download traffic and 29GB of upload traffic totalling 585GB. Currently my usage meter is showing 923GB of traffic on my WAN. That's 338GB of extra data coming from seemingly nowhere. 

My network is secured, my router is configured properly and I AM a professional technician that I can call to verify connectivity and security. 

I just received a warning I was near my limit and decided to double check my router to confirm. 

I have included a screenshot of my current usage up to today and a screenshot of the My Data Usage portion of "My Account", up to the minute. 

In case anyone is wondering why my data is high, I have a home lab for my studies, over 1.5TB of games in my Steam profile, many separate MMO RPG game installations, and two other people using data besides myself in my household (My spouse and my 5 year old child). All their devices are going through the same network.

Before posting anything too vague or directing me to a technician, please bear in mind I hold many certifications in IT. The numbers here just don't seem to add up and it seems as though some of last months overage is being applied to this month. 

It should be noted that I did not request this be merged without asking to a thread where it can remain obscure and off search engines. Very poor etiquette and doesn't allow for a specific discussion relating to the usage counter or on how many people are affected by the same issue. That was very rude.   

usage - Copy.jpg
usage2 - Copy.png
Frequent Visitor

Re: Last months data overage being rolled over into this month but unused data doesn't?

Too bad I can't sell you some of mine... 

1Capture.JPG

Must be all that SPEEEED! Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

Does any cable provider charge you more if you watch excessive TV? Bandwidth is not the issue. How much data is moving over the wire is not affecting cable pro videos infrastructure.

We allowed them to charge us for cable TV. That was acceptable because or had no commercials in the beginning. But when commercials came. .. bill never did. It's happening again.

With all the java, flash, streaming ads, ... content rich pages out there, I'm technically only accessing a fraction of the megabytes pushed to me.
New Poster

Clearly I thought I was asking a new question and not rep...

Clearly I thought I was asking a new question and not replying to someone. Oops. My apologies.

Tags (3)
Highlighted
New Poster

Is the data cap in my area currently being enforced?

I'm in the southern Massachusetts area and I noticed that when I first used to check my data usage it said that it was currently not being enforced or that it was currently suspended. However, I went to go and check tonight, I just started watching the Big Brother Live Feeds and that apparently uses up a lot of data, and I noticed that it did NOT say that the data cap was currently suspended.

I started a chat with a Comcast worker and they told me that my area, after me providing my address to them, currently had a suspended data cap and that I would not get charged if I went over my limit but that I WOULD be contacted if the usage was 'excessive.'

So my question: Is this true? Will I actually NOT be charged if I go over my 250 GB cap even though I don't see any sign of it saying suspended? 

Follow up question: If I shouldn't get charged what should I do if I do end up getting charged?

I just want to be able to stream a few live feed sessions and maybe sign up for Netflix? There are so many commercials for the Xfinity TV app and I really want to try it out but I know that as soon as I watch about five episodes I'll have used half of my supposed cap.

Any help would be great.

Tags (3)
New Poster

Basically I see this as: "Hey guys we are losing alot of money from people going to Live Stream TV services." (aka PS Vue, Sling etc.) "How can we make our money back!?" Then they came to the conclusion to cap Data OR charge you the same amount of money it cost you getting TV service from them into a nice new 'Unlimited Data Plan' @ an extra $50/month, while they just secrectly put you on a 'Capped Trial Plan' without even notifying you.  I just recently cancelled my TV Service from Comcast because 1.) They charge to much for their aweful channel selections they provide, and 2.) PS Vue offers more channel Selections for less. I've only had Vue for 18 days and i'm already @ 980GB / 1024 GB Terabyte Plan. I've looked at my previous months and I only used <150GB month before I switched to Vue. So you can tell why they are doing this. They got tired of everyone leaving them and their monopoly grasp on TV Services is diminishing, so they got to find ways to still make you bend over.

Regular Visitor

What Cities in Alabama have the 1 Terrabyte limit?

Is The Shoals area(Alabama) included in the 1 Terrabyte limit for internet useage?  Curious, as I have asked this question before to Customer Service without getting an answer. I knew we were a test area for limiting or capping internet usage for some time. Then I thought I read in the newspaper where it was lifted and raised to 1 terrabyte.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: What Cities in Alabama have the 1 Terrabyte limit?

New Poster

Data Limit

I just received an email saying that I will be moved to a data limit plan. This not only infuriates me, but I also feel insulted by the excuses given. Is there a specific number I can call to discuss this change.
New Poster

this is BS.  any limit on data usage is a clear violation of Net Neutrality.  on fixed-line networks, ISPs do NOT incur significantly higher costs due to more data use, and data caps do NOT help lower congestion.  there is NO legitimate purpose for DATA CAPS.  

DATA CAPS are obviously a money grab; it's greed, pure and simple.

i invite everyone to file a complaint with the FCC.  https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

New Poster

Well, it is also a breach of contract. My agreement with Comcast did not mention any caps, but today I have been informed that I will be charged extra if I use over 1 terabyte.  I guess I can switch to another provider. I don't have to honor my contract any longer...  

Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [profanity]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Regular Visitor

So confused?  Charge some customers more is making this fair?  Where is the savings side?  Who pays less now to offset the higher end users?  If that was happening I would see this as fair.  I read the whole thing and dont see the offset besides comcast profit?  I pay extra for the higher speed bandwith currently.  It costs about 0.02 cents per gig of bandwidth to send to a customer, shame on Comcast.  Kick me in the back and call it a gift.  This cost is less than the cost to send electricity to my router that powers their "free" wi-fi for "No Me" users, can I just decide to charge them for that service I provide them.  Using Comcasts own logic I should be able to bill them back at a massive profit like how people with solar panels get paid by electrical supplier.  They need to be careful as they have a monopoly in markets like my own. Comcast is horrible in both customer service and policy.  Just charge more like everyone else, and dont be greedy going for the 50 dollars.  The average user will easily be in the gigabyte per month in 10 years.  Everything accesses my wi-fi as I get more and more things.  My phone, printer, even my car, my 5 tablets in the household.   This is simply a way to make more profits, I just hate being talked to like I am stupid.    

New Poster

Terabyte cap? What a bunch of nonsense. Does Comcast expect me to believe they're running out of bandwidth? Stupid me, here I thought I was paying for speed...

Expert
Moved:

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Regular Contributor

Interesting that a data cap would be announced just at the time we're about to have a Netflix app and Cloud DVR added to the X1.

$200 a month limit to overage charge limit on the 1 TB plan, $50 a month for unlimitage usage plan. Seriously? 'Hoping people will sign up for unlimited so they won't risk a possible up to $200 overage charge? Comcast, are you intentionally trying to get people to look for other providers?

All I know is the 2 year agreement I just signed does not have a data cap in it, nor was I informed at the time I agreed there could or might be one. I'll have to discuss that with Customer Loyalty tomorrow while I'm getting an answer to why I'm being charged for a second outlet when the plan I agreed to had it included.

It's also time to start looking at FiOS again.

New Poster

The best part about this joke of a "service" to us is how they mention "Our philosophy is those who use more should pay more and those who use less should pay less"

THERE

IS

NO

OPTION

TO

PAY

LESS

Only an option to pay MORE.  I am switching as soon as something faster than 40mbp is available in my area.

Contributor

The worst part of the Comcast PR Nonsese is the 'stats' they continually repeat, knowing full well they're lies. It's actually documetned. 

Data caps are a way of recouping loses from cordcutters that stream exclusivley. The whole less than 5% use more than 75G/month is utter nonsense and completley made up (google it).

Also as someone who works the telecom, connectivity space, I know that data cost you less than a penny per terabyte. It wouldnt be so disgusting if you didnt continutally patronize your users, call them "trial areas" when we knew you'd roll them out to everyone and spin this as some type of favor yo're doing for it's customers. Your charging a 10,000% markup on something as a pure revenue generator and one more  way to take more money from your excisting customer base, instead of innovating. Please note, these data caps are non exisent in the few areas where there's fiber compeition. Not only are there no data caps, those people pay less for gigabyte speed than the monoplized areas do for 100 Mb/down.

Treating your customers like idiots and an open piggy bank is why you're the most hated company in America. If you came out and said, 'we're robbing you because we can', It would seriously be easier to stomach.

Contributor

Correct. they're a last mile provider and essentially pay a static cost for data. This is no more than taking advantage of areas where they've monopolized (and colluded in the ones they haven't. This constant PR nonsense they keep repeating is insulting. that coupled with the fact, it's on record from a comcast exec that the caps are nothing more than generating additional revenue from the customers that have no options.<br>I would pay a ISP double, to get half the speed that conkast provides. The day someone fights hard enough and your lobbying money doesn't guarantee your monopoly will happen eventually. I dream of the mass exodus.
Expert
Moved:

Post removed due to a forum language filter bypass violation...

Contributor

Comcast knows 99% of us have no choice due to the market monopolies they have.

Costs for ISPs are going down, yet the bills for customers go up. Any wonder this comes right when Netflix is being added to X1 boxes. A fair use data cap (if such a thing can be called fair) would be at least 5-10TB these days. By their own admission they are not incurring any costs for this bandwidth. 

The $5 creidt for those using <5GB A MONTH is the ultimate insult - even on dialup someone visiting a few web pages or checking email is going to go over that !!

Are there any alternatives? Short of everyone cancelling their service and living without Internet + tv, I don't think there's anything we can do?

Contributor

So are you telling us the streams from A&E and Disney App is included with the 1tb limit... ? Are you kidding me..

Contributor

For the third time, since you insist on removing my posts, I don't agree to this change, and you'll never get a dime from me regarding any "overages."

Consumerist has a nice article on your money-grabbing excuses.

https://consumerist.com/2016/10/07/comcast-expands-data-caps-to-another-23-markets-starting-nov-1/

I've filed a complaint with the FCC, and I'm eagerly awaiting the next franchise renewal meeting with my city council regarding your ability to operate in my town. Nothing would make me happier than to see your business crumble.

New Poster

I am pretty upset about this as the new TB plan is starting in my area next month.  I signed a contract 3 months ago for a specific plan and then the plan is changed on me.  Regardless of whether I hit the TB or not, the access to data usage was still paid for every month.  CC now billing for additional data usage by creating a TB tier that triggers an additional fee when crossed is far from customer friendly.  Regardless of what a consumer's data usage is, you are taking away something that was being paid for, but billing the same amount.  Even when the cell phone industry did this they grandfathered in all of the existing customers and only implemented on new agreements.  And they offered better financial options for people to change to the limited data plans that the companies wanted everyone to go to.

No, this is not the world or internet evolving, this is about a company raising profitability by sticking it to your customer base, Comcast.  Your statement below says that you carefully listen to your customers - well there is a big difference between having to carefully listen to your customers and actually hearing them.  

Called customer service and the guy kindly told me there was nothing I could do - it is what it is and Comcast reserves the right to alter the contract in its terms and conditions of the contract.  He told me that since I am under contract I am stuck until the contract expires - then I can decide if I want to stay.  He did say I could call the retention department and try and talk them into letting me break my contract early, but there are "no guarantees".  So in other words, if I don't like it, tough luck.  And if I try to leave, chances are I will have to pay.

And unlike many on here, I was actually extremely happy with the service until this change.  I do not want to find a different provider, I just want what I signed a contract to purchase.  For a company to hold its customers hostage and threaten promise to charge more money if they overstep the newly imposed limit is probably the worst customer care move I have seen in years.  

Disgruntled to say the least.

New Poster

Data Caps

I am disgusted by your data cap policy. It is anticompetitive, unfair, damaging to the internet and your companies reputation. The justification is a farce and this is nothing but greed and a money grab. On top of that, you are charging me $20 a month more for this 'feature'. It is abhorrent behavior for Comast to have a regulated monopoly and abuse that privilege in this way. 

Expert
Moved:

SCAM!! New Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan??!!

New Poster

Re: SCAM!! New Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan??!!

This is completely unacceptable. Even the cellular oligarchy allowed unlimited data plans to be grand-fathered in. I never agreed to a change of this magnitude to my contract and as soon as there is a direct ISP competitor in my neighborhood, I will cancelling all services with Comcast for good. Can't wait till Google Fiber takes you out at the knees!

New Poster

Adding a Data Cap is a rate change!

I was just informed that they will be adding a data cap on my internet account starting Nov 1st. I'm under contract, only 3 months in. How in the world do you not concider a data cap a rate change. I guess in stead of changing my rate they can add a cap and just add an additional rate if I go over a data cap? I'm under contract and my origanl rate should be honored. Adding an additional rate to my rate isn't honoring my origanal rate. I called and tried to turminate my contract since they are not honoring my orig rate and they said I would have to pay early cancelation fees? I did not agree to a data cap anywhere in my contract, isn't that what a contract is for?

New Poster

So how do you like the new data cap rollout?

So, how do you like the new data cap ?

Frequent Visitor

Internet Data Caps? Bye Bye Comcast

Don't fall for it folks, just b/c you are well below the 1TB cap today, Comcast knows that will not be the case.

4k digital content will soon be the new standard and your data usage is about to spike in a big way.  This data cap is being put in place so that they can charge you more down the road even though "usage habits" may not change at all.

Recall that cellular serivce providerd did the same thing just 5-6 years ago.  They implemented a 2GB data cap and told you that 99% of their customers didn't use more than that.  After implementing the cap, they launched their 4G networks and everyone's data usage spiked... and the cap was their waiting for them.

Don't fall for it.

I encourage Comcast internet customers to take their business elsehwere.  And tell them why you are leaving.

Might not make a difference in the end, but at leat you voiced your displeasure.  Hopefully their competion rises to the occasion!

New Poster

Here is my question:

Comcast and I "signed" a two year triple play contract in February.  No mention of data plan.  My signature was based on an understanding.  So do I not have a right to discontinue my service since Comcast, by asking more money, broke the contract.  Are they looking at a potential class action? 

Contributor

Does anyone from Comcast read these forums. I bet they are all laughing at us and already counting the millions in extra revenue they will generate. This is a perfect example of how a company rips off its customers and our govt of course is in bed with corporations.

The letter they send is esp insulting, trying to fool the less tech savvy into thinking that data caps are deserved, that those who use lots of data are 'stealing' and deserve to pay more, calling it 'fair use policy' when it should illegal. They are setting the stage for getting Americans used to the idea of data caps so when 4K is common (soon), they can increase their prices even mroe.

New Poster

Jumping in to voice my displeasure with a data cap. I may have averaged 193 GB over the last 3 months but I didn't have to check to see how much I was using. We used to stream everything but have since changed to the X1 box with a 2 year agreement and alarm system. Good question somebody brought up about this data cap possibly changing the terms of the agreement. So many companies raising prices or finding new ways to charge more fees as well as governments wanting more taxes. Sadly, my income is not going up to help me pay for these increases. I'm sure there are many more people in the same boat. Come on Comcast, are you hurting that bad?

New Poster

I am very displeased with this new attempt by Comcast to extort money from customers. I am a web developer, this means I work online. My wife works online, my children have online classes. Data usage limits coupled with speed limits would make work impossible without paying a huge fee either for overages or the "unlimited" plan. If Comcast didn't have a monopoly on high speed internet in the area this wouldn't happen.
New Poster

Your 1TB data cap

So now that you've decided to place a cap on data for PC usage (which I think is stupid for personal use), I decided to look at how much I use. I went to: https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet/UsageMeter?MAR=HOME_AX06.16 and saw that I use 34G of data so far. I was curious how much gaming took so I played for 30 minutes and it showed no increase. My wife tells me that it takes up to 24 hours for that to refresh. I then scrolled down to: Tools to help manage usage and it showed all zeros. Up top it has you login again so I did and it redirected me back to the page I was previously at and logged on to. So I clicked the manage link again and it took me back the page where I had to LOGIN AGAIN! You guys are making an endless loop where we can't break down our data usage and that does not provide the amount of transparency I like. Please fix this or I'll find someone else who isn't trying to squeeze penny's out of me.

Regular Visitor

Sorry Comcast, you do not get to charge for data over 1TB.  The state reps are reporting this is ilegal. 

New Poster