Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Did you check to see if you're an xfinity hotspot? 

Expert

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


stephgc wrote:

Did you check to see if you're an xfinity hotspot? 


That consumption is not *normally* supposed to count towards the hotspot host's usage. It supposed to count only towards the customer that is accessing the hotspot's usage because they log in with their own creds.

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


EG wrote:

stephgc wrote:

Did you check to see if you're an xfinity hotspot? 


That consumption is not *normally* supposed to count towards the hotspot host's usage. It supposed to count only towards the customer that is accessing the hotspot's usage because they log in with their own creds.


That's what they say but it doesn't work that way in practice. Comcast has nothing set up to measure data usage that finely. I've gone up one side and down the other over it. Not only does it count against us, it bogs our connection down to a crawl.

 

See, this is where the "only fair" part comes in when I asked why I have the same data cap as somebody on the lowest priced plan. Say somebody 'buys' that lowest 9.95 plan but can get better speeds piggy backing onto me. I'm still trying to figure how it's fair that they can siphon my bandwidth and speed while I'm paying the big bucks.

 

This uppage to a TB probably isn't going to do much for anybody in practical terms since most of the data is eaten up via normal web surfing with all it's advertising and so forth. My one game I play might use up 70MB on a day when I'm on for a long time (that's megabytes, not gigabytes or terrabytes). The rest is you tube, advertising videos, and the like. and Comcast is very bad about doing that on their own sites. I can use a couple of gigs before I ever get off the main Comcast page. Given that a terrabyte is roughly a 1000 gigabytes it won't take long to blow through those depending on individual surfing habits. And that's not even considering the so-called power users. I work from home. I'm not chancing running out of data. 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


stephgc wrote:

EG wrote:

stephgc wrote:

Did you check to see if you're an xfinity hotspot? 


That consumption is not *normally* supposed to count towards the hotspot host's usage. It supposed to count only towards the customer that is accessing the hotspot's usage because they log in with their own creds.


That's what they say but it doesn't work that way in practice. Comcast has nothing set up to measure data usage that finely. I've gone up one side and down the other over it. Not only does it count against us, it bogs our connection down to a crawl.

 

See, this is where the "only fair" part comes in when I asked why I have the same data cap as somebody on the lowest priced plan. Say somebody 'buys' that lowest 9.95 plan but can get better speeds piggy backing onto me. I'm still trying to figure how it's fair that they can siphon my bandwidth and speed while I'm paying the big bucks.

 

This uppage to a TB probably isn't going to do much for anybody in practical terms since most of the data is eaten up via normal web surfing with all it's advertising and so forth. My one game I play might use up 70MB on a day when I'm on for a long time (that's megabytes, not gigabytes or terrabytes). The rest is you tube, advertising videos, and the like. and Comcast is very bad about doing that on their own sites. I can use a couple of gigs before I ever get off the main Comcast page. Given that a terrabyte is roughly a 1000 gigabytes it won't take long to blow through those depending on individual surfing habits. And that's not even considering the so-called power users. I work from home. I'm not chancing running out of data. 


Your comment doesn't fly.  A users on any speed lower than 25m doesn't get xfinitywifi as part of their service, so that eliminates anyone paying 9.95.  When a user connects to a xfinitywifi hotspot, either a strand mounted wifi, a business wifi or a home xfinitywifi, they do not get the same speeds as the home subscriber gets on their speed tier.  It's more like 10 - 25 down and dependent on the distance from the gateway.  So if a xfinitywifi subscriber with minimun of 25 speeds will not get faster speeds connecting to someone's xfinitywifi.

Expert

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


stephgc wrote:


That's what they say but it doesn't work that way in practice. Comcast has nothing set up to measure data usage that finely. I've gone up one side and down the other over it. Not only does it count against us, it bogs our connection down to a crawl.


Can you present any technical proof of that ? Without it, it's just an opinion..

 

It is a separate dedicated bandwidth allotment from the CMTS via the VLAN method.

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


stephgc wrote:

Did you check to see if you're an xfinity hotspot? 


I doubt it somewhat as that would cripple my bandwidth to a crawl, which did happen to me when I had a working laptop, the fact that my connection is meant to host a public wifi that counts against the bandwidth that I pay for would be downright diabolical were it confirmed, as it would absolutely become a standard practice that this company would take if it could get away with it!

 

They would literally empty your bank account if the could, which is why so many detest them like the legal La Cosa Nostra that they are!

 

Note my current usage...Quite a discrepancy...

The evil ones  vs Glasswire.JPG

 

Looks as though I'll have to unplug the modem itself when not in use, or when I leave the apt, and go to bed, as I am never connected when I game or work on my artwork anyways!

 

===================Unofficial sig==========================================================================

I would also suggest as a general rule that we should never take out our frustrations with this wretched company on those who have absolutely no control in the company, (Customer service/Tech support) as they already have to deal with the bulk of negative fallout due to their horrific company's anti-consumer executive departments wreaking havoc in this market...

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


EG wrote:

stephgc wrote:


That's what they say but it doesn't work that way in practice. Comcast has nothing set up to measure data usage that finely. I've gone up one side and down the other over it. Not only does it count against us, it bogs our connection down to a crawl.


Can you present any technical proof of that ? Without it, it's just an opinion..

 

It is a separate dedicated bandwidth allotment from the CMTS via the VLAN method.


Technical data? No, but the tech confirmed it when I raised holy you know what over it when I found out about it. I also have Glaswire on my computers and the data usage it shows is nowhere near the data Comcast claims is used. There is also Windows 10 with its own version of data used. It's closer to the Glasswire count than it is to the Comcast count. 

 

I don't know who you are but I don't believe you live where I live and probably are not even in an area where there is a data cap in the first place. 16+ years have I been a customer and though it could be bad before I got the xfinity stuff it is 10 times worse now. I feel like I'm paying more for a whole lot less.

 

Give me a believable reason for the discrepanies and maybe I'll think differently.

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

stephgc wrote:

EG wrote:

stephgc wrote:


That's what they say but it doesn't work that way in practice. Comcast has nothing set up to measure data usage that finely. I've gone up one side and down the other over it. Not only does it count against us, it bogs our connection down to a crawl.


Can you present any technical proof of that ? Without it, it's just an opinion..

 

It is a separate dedicated bandwidth allotment from the CMTS via the VLAN method.


Technical data? No, but the tech confirmed it when I raised holy you know what over it when I found out about it. I also have Glaswire on my computers and the data usage it shows is nowhere near the data Comcast claims is used. There is also Windows 10 with its own version of data used. It's closer to the Glasswire count than it is to the Comcast count. 

 

I don't know who you are but I don't believe you live where I live and probably are not even in an area where there is a data cap in the first place. 16+ years have I been a customer and though it could be bad before I got the xfinity stuff it is 10 times worse now. I feel like I'm paying more for a whole lot less.

 

Give me a believable reason for the discrepanies and maybe I'll think differently.


Here ya go...Oh wait, wrong proof, same result...

 

Well, I have none as there should not be any caps in the first place confirmed by these diabolical Mr.Evil villians here. It's as I said before, they would drain your bank account and sell your entire social security, employment, and medical history to the black market if they were able to legally get away with it...

 

===================Unofficial sig==========================================================================

I would also suggest as a general rule that we should never take out our frustrations with this wretched company on those who have absolutely no control in the company, (Customer service/Tech support) as they already have to deal with the bulk of negative fallout due to their horrific company's anti-consumer executive departments wreaking havoc in this market...

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


ComcastJessie wrote:

As the world changes and the Internet evolves, so do we. That’s why we are making a major change to our Internet data trials and moving to a terabyte data plan in ALL of our trial markets.    

 

In our trials, we have experimented with different offers, listened to feedback, and learned a lot. That is what we said we would do when we launched our trials four years ago – analyze and assess our customers' reaction to the data plans, including being open to increasing them over time. We have learned that our customers want the peace of mind to stream, surf, game, download, or do whatever they want online. So, we have created a new data plan that is so high that most of our customers will never have to think about how much data they use.

 

We know that data plans can be confusing, and we want to keep this simple. So here’s what’s happening:

 

  • All of the data plans in our trial markets will move from a 300 gigabyte data plan to a terabyte by June 1st, regardless of the speed. 
  • For the very tiny portion of our customer super users (less than 1 percent of our customer base) who want more than a terabyte, they can sign up for an unlimited plan for an additional $50 a month, or they have the option to purchase additional buckets of 50 gigabytes of data for $10 each.
  • We’ll continue to provide easy access to a data usage meter for all of our customers.

We’ve always said that we’d look carefully at the feedback from our trials, continue to evolve our offers, and listen to our customers. We’re currently evaluating our plans to roll this out in other markets, we’ll keep listening – and we'll be open to making further changes in the future to deliver the best high-speed data service to our customers. Feel free to post any questions, comments, or concerns on this thread and if you are wanting more information go here: http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/a-terabyte-internet-experience


SO THE CAP IS NOW 1000 GB?

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


NoChoice2k15 wrote:
stephgc wrote:

EG wrote:

stephgc wrote:


That's what they say but it doesn't work that way in practice. Comcast has nothing set up to measure data usage that finely. I've gone up one side and down the other over it. Not only does it count against us, it bogs our connection down to a crawl.


Can you present any technical proof of that ? Without it, it's just an opinion..

 

It is a separate dedicated bandwidth allotment from the CMTS via the VLAN method.


Technical data? No, but the tech confirmed it when I raised holy you know what over it when I found out about it. I also have Glaswire on my computers and the data usage it shows is nowhere near the data Comcast claims is used. There is also Windows 10 with its own version of data used. It's closer to the Glasswire count than it is to the Comcast count. 

 

I don't know who you are but I don't believe you live where I live and probably are not even in an area where there is a data cap in the first place. 16+ years have I been a customer and though it could be bad before I got the xfinity stuff it is 10 times worse now. I feel like I'm paying more for a whole lot less.

 

Give me a believable reason for the discrepanies and maybe I'll think differently.


Here ya go...Oh wait, wrong proof, same result...

 

Well, I have none as there should not be any caps in the first place confirmed by these diabolical Mr.Evil villians here. It's as I said before, they would drain your bank account and sell your entire social security, employment, and medical history to the black market if they were able to legally get away with it...

 

===================Unofficial sig==========================================================================

I would also suggest as a general rule that we should never take out our frustrations with this wretched company on those who have absolutely no control in the company, (Customer service/Tech support) as they already have to deal with the bulk of negative fallout due to their horrific company's anti-consumer executive departments wreaking havoc in this market...


This was not directed at you, Mr. No Choice. It was directed at the fellow/lady who stated that the data for the hangers on did not count against us. I don't believe the person who made the statement knows what it's like to be in a place where there are virtual monopolies for a commodity. 

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Well Comcast sticks it to me to the bitter end. Even after being a customer for 10 years paying $260+ a month for everything they offer, I'm moving out of state and they don't service my new state. Doesn't matter, they are sticking me with $300+ early termination fees. The Comcast store where I turned in my equipment said there was NOTHING they could do about that.

I'm going to call and see if I can get any relief.

First This company raises my contracted price $30/ month for the same service I've always had, thus breaching the contact. Then, when I try to cancel the contract because I'm moving out of state they say I'm breaching and want to change me $300 in early term fees.

This is one LOUSY way to treat a guy who's faithfully paid $260 a month for 10 years. Good thing for them they are a monopoly because nobody would deal with such rip off policies.
Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


H8Datacaps wrote:
Well Comcast sticks it to me to the bitter end. Even after being a customer for 10 years paying $260+ a month for everything they offer, I'm moving out of state and they don't service my new state. Doesn't matter, they are sticking me with $300+ early termination fees. The Comcast store where I turned in my equipment said there was NOTHING they could do about that.

I'm going to call and see if I can get any relief.

First This company raises my contracted price $30/ month for the same service I've always had, thus breaching the contact. Then, when I try to cancel the contract because I'm moving out of state they say I'm breaching and want to change me $300 in early term fees.

This is one LOUSY way to treat a guy who's faithfully paid $260 a month for 10 years. Good thing for them they are a monopoly because nobody would deal with such rip off policies.

Go to the first post on this thread......Comcast advices 1 terabyte cap now 

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

I'm confused about this nonsense. Google fiber has no cap but Comcast does? Is this because Comcast has inferior infrastructure? Doesn't make a lot of sense to go with Comcast and worry about limits and poor infrastructure issues.
Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


Dragrazor wrote:

H8Datacaps wrote:
Well Comcast sticks it to me to the bitter end. Even after being a customer for 10 years paying $260+ a month for everything they offer, I'm moving out of state and they don't service my new state. Doesn't matter, they are sticking me with $300+ early termination fees. The Comcast store where I turned in my equipment said there was NOTHING they could do about that.

I'm going to call and see if I can get any relief.

First This company raises my contracted price $30/ month for the same service I've always had, thus breaching the contact. Then, when I try to cancel the contract because I'm moving out of state they say I'm breaching and want to change me $300 in early term fees.

This is one LOUSY way to treat a guy who's faithfully paid $260 a month for 10 years. Good thing for them they are a monopoly because nobody would deal with such rip off policies.

Go to the first post on this thread......Comcast advices 1 terabyte cap now 


I'm aware they did away with the 300 G cap after 6 months.  

 

However, for 6 months they stuck me with a 300 g cap and an extra $30/month, thus breaching my contract by changing my contracted price for the exact same service I was always getting for 10 years.  Now, when I move out of state, they are making ME pay for breaching the contract after they breached it 6 months ago.  So the contracts are only for Comcast, not the end user - it's a one way contract (which isn't a contract).

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


Ckval wrote:
I'm confused about this nonsense. Google fiber has no cap but Comcast does? Is this because Comcast has inferior infrastructure? Doesn't make a lot of sense to go with Comcast and worry about limits and poor infrastructure issues.

The caps are only in places where Comcast has a virtual monopoly, like where I live. Google fiber is just getting started here but as soon as it's available in my area of town, early termination or not, it will be bye-bye Comcast. 

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


stephgc wrote:

Ckval wrote:
I'm confused about this nonsense. Google fiber has no cap but Comcast does? Is this because Comcast has inferior infrastructure? Doesn't make a lot of sense to go with Comcast and worry about limits and poor infrastructure issues.

The caps are only in places where Comcast has a virtual monopoly, like where I live. Google fiber is just getting started here but as soon as it's available in my area of town, early termination or not, it will be bye-bye Comcast. 


Am with you.......Comcast could have kept their established customers unlimited n imposed there caps for new customers.......like AT&T mobility did yesrs ago to their cellular customers 

shame on you Comcast 

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


H8Datacaps wrote:

Dragrazor wrote:

H8Datacaps wrote:
Well Comcast sticks it to me to the bitter end. Even after being a customer for 10 years paying $260+ a month for everything they offer, I'm moving out of state and they don't service my new state. Doesn't matter, they are sticking me with $300+ early termination fees. The Comcast store where I turned in my equipment said there was NOTHING they could do about that.

I'm going to call and see if I can get any relief.

First This company raises my contracted price $30/ month for the same service I've always had, thus breaching the contact. Then, when I try to cancel the contract because I'm moving out of state they say I'm breaching and want to change me $300 in early term fees.

This is one LOUSY way to treat a guy who's faithfully paid $260 a month for 10 years. Good thing for them they are a monopoly because nobody would deal with such rip off policies.

Go to the first post on this thread......Comcast advices 1 terabyte cap now 


I'm aware they did away with the 300 G cap after 6 months.  

 

However, for 6 months they stuck me with a 300 g cap and an extra $30/month, thus breaching my contract by changing my contracted price for the exact same service I was always getting for 10 years.  Now, when I move out of state, they are making ME pay for breaching the contract after they breached it 6 months ago.  So the contracts are only for Comcast, not the end user - it's a one way contract (which isn't a contract).


Well now their charging $50 for the unlimited offer..........

I only go over 1 terabyte once a year when my stepdaughter is home from school........but it's like almost 2 terabytes, so at $10 per 50 GB's am looking at $200 for something that was free a yesr ago 

 

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

 


Dragrazor wrote:

stephgc wrote:

Ckval wrote:
I'm confused about this nonsense. Google fiber has no cap but Comcast does? Is this because Comcast has inferior infrastructure? Doesn't make a lot of sense to go with Comcast and worry about limits and poor infrastructure issues.

The caps are only in places where Comcast has a virtual monopoly, like where I live. Google fiber is just getting started here but as soon as it's available in my area of town, early termination or not, it will be bye-bye Comcast. 


Am with you.......Comcast could have kept their established customers unlimited n imposed there caps for new customers.......like AT&T mobility did yesrs ago to their cellular customers 

shame on you Comcast 


I think they're stuck in a vicious cycle that their head honchos don't know how to get out of. They have to drum up new business but they also have to turn a profit. Can't do both in this economy with sticking it to the established customers, aka Us. It has been their practice for many years now.

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

While I applaud Comcast for increasing the data limit, I feel like something extremely fishy is already going on.  In the last 4 months, our data usage was 278, 220 and 354 GB respectively.  Comcast changed the limit to 1024 GB per month and we are already at 314 GB this month on the 14th, including being gone for 5 days on vacation?  So I am to believe that we used over what we usually use all month in 9 days of usage?  I am sorry if I am being skeptical, but what I see is an artificial change by Comcast in this situation.  I predict our usage "percentage" of our cap will likely end up about the same as the previous months where we typically "used" 60-80% of our cap and had a couple months where we were accused of using over our cap.  I can definitively say we have used nowhere near our 314 GB of reported use this month.  This is terribly disconcerting to me as a customer!

Expert

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


EcnarM wrote:

While I applaud Comcast for increasing the data limit, I feel like something extremely fishy is already going on.  In the last 4 months, our data usage was 278, 220 and 354 GB respectively.  Comcast changed the limit to 1024 GB per month and we are already at 314 GB this month on the 14th, including being gone for 5 days on vacation?  So I am to believe that we used over what we usually use all month in 9 days of usage?  I am sorry if I am being skeptical, but what I see is an artificial change by Comcast in this situation.  I predict our usage "percentage" of our cap will likely end up about the same as the previous months where we typically "used" 60-80% of our cap and had a couple months where we were accused of using over our cap.  I can definitively say we have used nowhere near our 314 GB of reported use this month.  This is terribly disconcerting to me as a customer!


my experience at the 1/2 way (nearly) point of the month is usage is lower than previous 2 months. I have used less of the x1 app in home this month since learning that it counted toward the cap.

 

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

.

.

Comcast says 24GB so far this month.

 

Glasswire says 12GB.

 

No big deal for me .  .  . most GB's I've ever used in a month is 52.

 

It would take me a year & a half to go thru 1024GB's.

 

Geez, I remember just 4 years ago, my cap with Cricket was 7.5 GB's a month!

 

 

 

                                        PegLegGuy

 

                        

Contributor

Comcast has changed thier download amount :))

FOR INFO


AS of June 1, 2016, they have changed the Internet Data usage. How much we were allowed to download.

 

My data usage states:

 

On June 1, we increased your data usage plan to 1 terabyte a month. As part of this plan change, you now have two courtesy months to exceed a terabyte of usage without charge. After using these two months, if you exceed a terabyte you will be charged $10.00 for each 50GB of additional data provided, but charges will not exceed $200 each month, no matter how much you use.

 

NOW we can actually use Netflic and Amazon Prime to actually watch free stuff as we should, as the old 300 GB limit was not large enough to actually use those services.

 

To check yours go to MY Account then Services then Internet.

Then on the right side it lists your Internet Plan and shows your Home Internet data usage.

 

Hope this helps everyone.

 

Contributor

Comcast has changed thier download amount :))

I am posting here as I could not find any forum under the internet forum for this info.

 

Deleted as wrong forum sorry.

 

I tried to delete this post but could find no way to.

 

Could Comcast please post a sticky on the change they made to the internet usage as of June 1, 2016, so everyoone could know.

Expert

Re: Comcast has changed thier download amount :))

FWIW, this doesn't apply to everyone, yet.  It's only available to those areas that were on the 300GB trial.  Hopefully it will be available to everyone at some point in the near future.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Comcast has changed thier download amount :))


Harvey_Wabbit wrote: ... Could Comcast please post a sticky on the change they made to the internet usage as of June 1, 2016, so everyoone could know.

They did, under "Comcast Help and Support Forums / XFINITY Internet / Basic Internet Connectivity And Modem Help": http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Terabyte-Internet-Data-Usage/m-p/274162...

 

Also: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/common-questions-datapolicy

Regular Visitor

Re: Comcast has changed thier download amount :))


Harvey_Wabbit wrote:

FOR INFO


AS of June 1, 2016, they have changed the Internet Data usage. How much we were allowed to download.

 

My data usage states:

 

On June 1, we increased your data usage plan to 1 terabyte a month. As part of this plan change, you now have two courtesy months to exceed a terabyte of usage without charge. After using these two months, if you exceed a terabyte you will be charged $10.00 for each 50GB of additional data provided, but charges will not exceed $200 each month, no matter how much you use.

 

NOW we can actually use Netflic and Amazon Prime to actually watch free stuff as we should, as the old 300 GB limit was not large enough to actually use those services.

 

To check yours go to MY Account then Services then Internet.

Then on the right side it lists your Internet Plan and shows your Home Internet data usage.

 

Hope this helps everyone.

 


And, yet, just like clockwork, Comcast has gotten to the point of the month where I'm being throttled in spite of the fact that I didn't cancel the unlimited service. Every month, same bat time, same bat channel. 

 

Still waiting for Google Fiber...

Frequent Visitor

Data usage caps for Western Washington

Hi Everyone,

 

Comcast finally fixed my usage meter; it took a while, but it is done.

 

As such, I would like to know what is the official data usage cap (if any) for customers in Western Washington ?    Can a Comcast employee please respond here.

 

 

Thanks,
Brad Williamson.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


Rustyben wrote:

EcnarM wrote:

While I applaud Comcast for increasing the data limit, I feel like something extremely fishy is already going on.  In the last 4 months, our data usage was 278, 220 and 354 GB respectively.  Comcast changed the limit to 1024 GB per month and we are already at 314 GB this month on the 14th, including being gone for 5 days on vacation?  So I am to believe that we used over what we usually use all month in 9 days of usage?  I am sorry if I am being skeptical, but what I see is an artificial change by Comcast in this situation.  I predict our usage "percentage" of our cap will likely end up about the same as the previous months where we typically "used" 60-80% of our cap and had a couple months where we were accused of using over our cap.  I can definitively say we have used nowhere near our 314 GB of reported use this month.  This is terribly disconcerting to me as a customer!


my experience at the 1/2 way (nearly) point of the month is usage is lower than previous 2 months. I have used less of the x1 app in home this month since learning that it counted toward the cap.

 


My usage this month was about 3x too, seems off, I could see 2x, but yea, somethings amiss.

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Since they up'ed the cap to 1T, I haven't been woried this month......just checked the meter n am over the old cap with 2 days to go.......377G's! At least I won't be charged.......

Expert

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


Dragrazor wrote:

Since they up'ed the cap to 1T, I haven't been woried this month......just checked the meter n am over the old cap with 2 days to go.......377G's! At least I won't be charged.......


mine is at a record low, no changes that I recall. 

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

that's great for the trail markets. Guess the rest of us get nothing? ALL should be all markets, but then i'm a narrow minded customer.

New Poster

Bad Experience

I spent 4 hours on the phone today with comcast and got absolutly no where. I have been witht hem for 3 years and never used more than 40 gb of data. Now in the last 2 months I have used more than a terabyte. I put a ticket in May 2 and June 26 with still no resolution and no call back I have spoke with the security department multiple times. I just get passed around and around and no one can help me. Now I learn the they went from 3 to 2 waivers on the data cap and I have none left. I tried to cancel my service and they still can't even do that. I have att coming out next month to install uverse I am so upset. I have never dealt with such an incompetent company in my life

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


Anon795687 wrote:

that's great for the trail markets. Guess the rest of us get nothing? ALL should be all markets, but then i'm a narrow minded customer.

 

 

 

 

If you're not in a trial market you shouldn't have a cap at all. Having a cap isn't a bonus, it's punishment.


Problem Solver

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

I am in a trial market so my data cap went from 300GB to 1TB on June 1st.

 

I'm confused. Why are some people that are not in trial markets complaining? I thought that if you are not in a trial market you don't have a data cap. Am I missing something?

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

I don't think they understand what the cap and they think we are getting more than they are.



Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


stephgc wrote:

I don't think they understand what the cap and they think we are getting more than they are.




They must be confused ......while am glad that I/we were given 1TB of data, I still not the unlimited I/we had.....

I stand by what I've said all along ......n what I've commented to the FCC n Comcast .......the new caps should be for new customers..........established customers should remain unlimited........

As soon as another deal comes along am leaving Comcast.......even if it's a similar deal........I don't want to keep giving my money to a company that won't do the right thing........in the name of GREED ($)! 

 

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

I've still got a year on my contract. Once that's done, I'm thinking of moving to either Google fiber or ATT. I think ATT is putting on a cap, though, so I'm not sure about that. And those comcast ads about being faster than Google fiber. I really don't buy it. I'm supposed to have the speeds but only get them some of the time and often about 10 days before my buill is due I wind up being throttled, in spite of the fact that I pay for the unlimited data.

 

Greed gets a corporation only so far. As long as there is competition, they'll either have to adapt and treat their customers better or lose them. I've been a customer with them for 16 years since before they were called Comcast in this area. Seems like the last 10 I've been fighting with them all the time about one thing or another but I didn't have a viable option to just quit them. I believe there are some now.

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

This is a way of controlling bandwidth instead of the preferred ($) method the Gov said was illegal. 1st - I do not like all the video and commercials that play, even to see a news item, especially since I pay a monthly fee. 2nd I hope the commercial and non-requested videos do not count against the customer. Service and support has been very poor over the last couple years on a consistent basis. Part of which I believe is the new dual wifi modem, which they did not disclose the public wifi you power and they charge us for it (LOL). This move and the past poor service just makes it easier for me to go to ATT / Direct TV or some local providers which my neighbors really like.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Here in the Chicago area, we got mail today stating the 1T cap would go into effect on August 1. Lots of posts from around Chicagoland on the DSLReports forums.

Trial Terabyte Plan

Problem Solver

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

I will in the next couple years have the option of Google Fiber. I will have to make a decision then whether to go with them or stay with Comcast. I have been with Comcast over 15 years.

 

Most users will probably be satisfied with the new 1TB data cap for now. Will that be adequate in two years? Who knows. In a few years 4K may be the standard for streaming data. With demands like that some people will blow through the 1TB data cap in no time.

 

BTW, Comcast says that 99% of its users don't go over 1TB.

 

The FCC only approved the merger of Charter and Time Warner if they agreed to not impose data caps for the first seven years after the merger was finalized.

New Poster

Data

Some deals offer limited internet "data" such as "300GB/mo, and +$10 per add'l 150GB/mo."

 

With Comcast, how can I find out or monitor my amount of "data"?

Expert
New Poster

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

You are talking about fairness and consideration, things that in the old days of brick and mortar customer service were offered from human business people.  Computers cannot judge and show mercy that way.  Your data meter indicates your data usage, period.  So you are paying not only for what good comes to you, but also any misfortunes (like you pay to fix your own flat tire).  You are simply paying for what the data meter records, good and bad.  In other words, you don't get a rebate on gasoline for a trip in which you didn't make your destination, because of a flat tire.

New Poster

Data Caps and SamKnows

Hello,

 

For a couple years now I have partisipated in the bandwidth study conducted by SamKnows.

 

I just recieved an email from Xfinity saying that next month my area will start tracking usage and charging customers more who go over their data limits.

 

Now based on my bandwidth usage it would appear that bandwidth generated by the SamKnows box is included in the data limits.

 

But I would like to confirm whether or not this is the case?

 

I imagine that Xfinity is also wanting customers who take part in the bandwidth study to disconnect their SamKnows devices to avoid these additional fees?

 

-Charles

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


MisterEd51 wrote:

 

Most users will probably be satisfied with the new 1TB data cap for now. Will that be adequate in two years? Who knows. In a few years 4K may be the standard for streaming data. With demands like that some people will blow through the 1TB data cap in no time.

 

BTW, Comcast says that 99% of its users don't go over 1TB.

 


That might be as I've only exceeded 1TB once......

But I woulda had to have paid for goin over.....I went ober 545 GB according to them .....that would been n extra $100!

if 99% of users use so little, then why worry bout caps?

Cause that's another way to make more $!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Data Caps and SamKnows


bigstar wrote: ... it would appear that bandwidth generated by the SamKnows box is included in the data limits. But I would like to confirm whether or not this is the case? ...

Under "What effect will this project have on my monthly download cap?",

https://www.measuringbroadbandamerica.com/fixed-broadband/fixed-broadband-faqs/ says:

 

The usage on a fixed broadband 10Mbps connection will be around 20GB/month, and will likely be around 60GB on a 50Mbps connection. The amount that’s downloaded is speed dependent (so a slower connection will use less traffic than a faster connection).

 

If you’re on a product with a low cap then we’d advise against signing up, or at least informing us beforehand so that we can apply a different testing profile (we can run smaller speed tests on a per-device basis if necessary).


There is also http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/SamKnows-White-Box/m-p/2587844#M293053 posted last year in which which a Comcast employee responds to a SamKnows/data cap question by linking to that same FAQ. It would have been nice if they had flatly stated "Yes, the data counts against your cap". They didn't, but that seems to me to be a reasonable conclusion.

New Poster

Re: Data Caps and SamKnows

Thank you for this information. I will contact them to see if they can update my test profile to run smaller speed tests, though ultimately I may just need to abandon the project.

 

I was able to pull up the SamKnows device bandwidth usage from my router and the device averages around 220-290 GB/month, this was much higher than I expected but atleast I found this out now and not later.

 

Regular Visitor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Wow, they move data caps into my area and according to Comcast I have exceeded 1.2tb the last two months. Everyone I know who has "cut the cord" and streams actually more than I do rarely hit 600gb. There is some def padding going on and there is no way to prove it that would actually help you win your case. We are stuck and with Comcast reporting WAY higher than is being used (So far in 6 days 300gb) they will force people to get the unlimited which will net them an extra 50 per month. FCC needs to get involved in this big time. I can max out their caculator with the amount of devices we have and all the sliders maxed and it doesnt hit 1tb, and those sliders are more than double if not triple what we actually do. 

New Poster

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

My Comcast experience has been generally good.  HOWEVER,  this "Terabyte Test" is a game changer.  If this becomes a permanent policy,  I will leave Comcast (even though I do not use this much data).  I have many clients who use Comcast on our recommendation,  and they WILL be affected.  If there is to be a limit,  Comcast has a raft of competitors and will no longer be our recommendation to clients.

Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage


StrategicGeek wrote:

My Comcast experience has been generally good.  HOWEVER,  this "Terabyte Test" is a game changer.  If this becomes a permanent policy,  I will leave Comcast (even though I do not use this much data).  I have many clients who use Comcast on our recommendation,  and they WILL be affected.  If there is to be a limit,  Comcast has a raft of competitors and will no longer be our recommendation to clients.


I'll be right behind you.......if Comcast don't care bout their established customers loyalty.......then neither will I...