Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Regular Visitor

Re: Comcast’s Terabyte Internet Experience

@H8Datacaps wrote:

@zoycan wrote:

@stephgc wrote:

This still doesn't explain why you even have data caps; or usage plans as you call them.

Whatever you may think and whatever motivation Comcast has for their policies, bandwidth isn't free. The large percentage of normal users shouldn't have to subsidize the heavy ones. If Customer A uses 50 GB and Customer B uses 300 GB, A is essentially paying part of B's bill, while B continues to complain that they should be able to use even more.

I disagree with your post sir and here is why.

Comcast requried me to sign a contract for 2 years at $230 a month which included unlimited data.  I've been on basically the same contract for 10 years, always unlimited data.  Over time the contracts go up in price so if you re-sign a 2 year contract you can get what they call "promotional" pricing - it should be called, under contract pricing.

Starting January 1 this year my data was no longer unlimted, it was in my case $90 more the the amount of data they said I use every month (600gb).  

The terms and conditions of the contract I signed dicate what happens when one or the other party changes the terms of the contract.  In this case, in black and white, Comcast has the right to change their services and pricing any time they like, and if they do, I the right to cancel the contract and leave them.

The problem is, there is no alternative to high speed data in my area.  Because they have a monopoly, they can completely change the contract at will, and I have no choice (except for going back to dial up or DSL speed which isn't a viable option).

So, either I go back to DSL speed or I accept the increased charge and complain to the FCC who is supposed to keep monopolies from abusing their power in this fashion.

The FCC did respond to my letter and asked Comcast what they are going to do about it.  Comcast said that tiered billing is an acceptable practice and they are going to do it.  They omitted the fact that I had contracted for unlimited internet and they changed the terms of my contract, and they also ommitted the fact that they have a monopoly on high speed data in my city so I have no alternative but to pay their increased price if I want high speed data.

Meanwhile, my mother who only uses 100gb a month didn't get a price break when they instituted the 300gb cap so they are not doing tiered pricing as they told the FCC.

Enough people like me complained, the FCC complaints were up 813% (from memory) from the prior year over this, so Comcast relented and increased the data cap to a realistic cap.

As you can see from Comcast's posts above, I'm just out the $150 increase they charged me for January - May 2016.  But I suppose I should be happy they went back to the contracted price in June and just shut up about it.

As data becomes more competitive (my neighorhood had fiber installed last month).. you'd think Comcast would think ahead a bit and not make policies that cause such tsuris for customers who have happily paid $230 a month for a decade, but I suppose they don't think this way.  I know when my contract is up and I have other options I will look very carefully again as they lost my customer loyalty with this horrible debaucle.  

16 years here. And it's gone from decent to bad to worse while the prices go higher. And the thing that Mr. zoycan doesn't understand is I have the same data cap paying $90 for extreme105 internet service as somebody paying $9.95 for basic service which makes his argument wrong on its face. They are not paying for my service. I'm paying for theirs. When I asked why we all had the same data "usage" plan I was told it was only fair and that I'm not paying for data, I'm paying for speed. Considering I only occasionally get the speed, I'm paying for something I can't realistically have. 

Competition has come to us here. Google fiber is in town and contract or no, as soon as I can, I'm getting away from Comcast. Google doesn't have data usage plans. 

And another thing Mr. zoycan doesn't really understand is that ISPs are the ones who provide the bandwidth/data usage for everyone. They get paid to keep their infrastructure running so data can move from one point to another. I once dreamed of building my own data center here. That dream turned to dust once I got a look at the poor infrastructure of this state due to the allowance of monopolies without accountability.

I believe I'll lease my servers from Texas until I retire. Texas doesn't have data usage plans imposed upon them. Fancy that.

Frequent Visitor

Why was the brand new just anounced terabyte cap folded into a discussion going back to 2014? how does that make any sense?

Administrator
Regular Visitor

Re: Suggested data caps and how to keep gamers from abusing the system

@OmegaStrain wrote:

Gamer Haters,

How can one single out gamers and they say they abuse the system? How do gamers abuse the system? Becuase gamers do what they pay for high end internet to do with? So If I am a gamer and I spend 300+ bucks a month for my internet since its the biggest package to support my needs of which comcast is falling short on. How is that abuse? Sounds like as a Gamer I am paying for my servie I ordered.

What I do as a gamer doesnt effect ur service...and If you think you are paying too much for your service and you dont think you use all that service. Downgrade.

I seriously dought comcast is punishing someone else due to anothers useage of the comcast service. If comcast adds any more cost to your bill its becuase comcast wants more money period.

Not becuase one audience is useing more then another. AS a matter of fact. If it wasnt for the higher demand in performace that is being pushed then those whom are complaining about gamers would be stuck using Dial Up Still. Having fun surfing your internet with 56K. What. to slow for you? Oh. Well then spend more money. Or become a settler and settle for your 56K.

Or better yet. put your energy forth to somthing constructive. Like for example. Move to bring google fiber to your area. Seems Google Fiber is offering a service better then comcast. thats faster then comcast that has NO Data Caps, and is much cheaper then comcast.. Oh and they even offer TV like comcast. WOW. How could this be.. Is your Gamer Hating mind blown?

You cant figure it you say? Well let me tell you. Comcast is Greedy, They dont care about you. They just care about your wallet. 

I just heard a comcast comercial saying Google Fiber is a lesser service then comcast and they wont let you stream TV. Not true. Such a lie. Google Fiber offers TV. https://fiber.storage.googleapis.com/channels/guide/nashville.pdf

past that link in your browser. Look at all the channels that is offered. 

Googles Best Service is 1,000mbs down and 1,000mbs up over 150 TV Channels included. How much you ask. about 130 bucks a month. WOW!

Comcast doesnt do this. Oh thats right there greedy capatilist that think you are a wallet slave to them.

lets see comcast package

125mbs down, 25mbs up, 100+ channels. about 250 bucks a month.

Doesnt matter what type of surfer or internet user you are. If you have internet and you use it. You are a user. Targeting other users is not right. One could almost say Racist.

Will this mean that Gamers will become the new sterotype? Thats just ignorance.

Well Yall. Thas my rant for today. Paid my 300 dollar bill today so I think that entitles me a right to me rant here.

I hope the information to a competitor to comcast is helpfull. Hopefully you are near or in a city that Google Fiber is being installed. If not. Dont worry. Im sure Google Fiber will become nation wide. Who knows. Maybe by then Comcast will realize. *Oh Snap. Better start giveing are customers some reall service and not just a taste of service before they start ripping each others heads off*

Good Gamin Yall.

Omega

I was with you until you called Comcast greedy capitalists. There's little to nothing capitalistic about Comcast. It wants to be state sponsored/goverment sponsored so it can dictate to its customers what the customers can and cannot have. 

Gaming doesn't take nearly the data usage that streaming video does. We've pushed it here. The one game I play barely does 50MBs a day. My grandson's games about the same or not much more. But one YouTube video can do one in without any trouble. Same with movies from anywhere. You stream a movie from Comcast even, you're using up your data allowance. 

Administrator
Administrator

@H8Datacaps

Sorry for the delayed response I wanted to ensure that I have the most accurate information. If you need to have that unlimited plan removed from your account now that we have the terabyte data plan you can do so at any time. Unlike adding the unlimited plan you do not need to provide CSA with any advanced notice. Meaning that if you have that unlimited plan and call CSA to have it removed it will be removed immediately. I would recommend that if you need the extra data you maintain that plan until June when the terabyte plan is to go into effect. 

@bjwilliamson

All markets except for Fresno will get the new terabyte data plan. We are working hard to provide this same option for our Fresno customers and know that we will keep you updated about any changes as more information comes in. 

As always if you have any further questions about data plans feel free to post it here or call CSA directly at 1-888-565-4329 or 1-877-807-6581. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast is working hard to provide the TB option to Fresno ? What is the difference in Fresno that makes it so hard to offer the same cap as the rest of the country ?? 

Contributor

As I understand it, there is essentially no data cap in Fresno. On the usage meter, it says that enforcement of the data cap has been suspended. To me, that means it's essentially unlimited.

Bronze Problem Solver

@mkrubsack wrote:

As I understand it, there is essentially no data cap in Fresno. On the usage meter, it says that enforcement of the data cap has been suspended. To me, that means it's essentially unlimited.

There is no data cap for most of the country except certain markets in a few different states. Comcast Jessie said the TB cap will be for every one except Fresno just curious why. 

Visitor

data cap

do xfinity have a data cap in jacksonville florida 32254

Gold Problem Solver

Re: data cap

vaughn2527 wrote: do xfinity have a data cap in jacksonville florida 32254

If the list at http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials-find-area is accurate, no.

New Poster

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

June 1st Comcast is moving to a terabyte data plan in all of their trial markets. You can still get an unlimited plan but it goes from $35 a month to $50 a month. ITB should be plenty for most users. We average between 500GB and 600GB a month. Their article can be found here: http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/a-terabyte-internet-experience

Administrator
New Poster

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Purely a money making scam on Comcast part. They still think that they are the only game in town and they are not any longer with ATT u-verse.

Expert

@syzito1 wrote:

Purely a money making scam on Comcast part. They still think that they are the only game in town and they are not any longer with ATT u-verse.

explain how it is a scam to move from 250 gb or 300 gb all the way to 1,000 gb (bytes not bit) at no extra charge at all?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert
Moved:

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Visitor

@ComcastJessie

For those of us who still have courtesy charges left, what will occur with them on June 1st? Will they get rest to 3 again or will they be removed alltogether? Will we just keep the courtesy charges we have left?

Thank you.

Administrator

@OlgaB01

If you still have courtesy charges they are still available to you. They do not get reset to 3 again, if you have 2 remaining currently, you will have 2 remaining on June 1st. 

I hope that addresses your concerns. If you have any additional comments, questions, or concerns please don't hesitate to let us know.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

In my opinion it is an scam because when I was not in the unlimitted plan during the trial period of 3 months, I was using way more than 300GB and all of the suden when I went into unlimited, I am down to barely over 300. So this is what I believe it will happens if I cancell the unlimited plan. Miraculiously my data will increase to almost 1 TB and subsequently I will end up paying $50 a month for unlimited data. Does Comcast manipulates de data ?  I believe they do therefore, in a way ... it is an scam and they are not realizing that UVerse is moving pretty quick with their fiber optic which will be bringing higher speed to the comsumers. 

New Poster

Rustyben:

How do you think they are doing that?

By using the scammed money they got from the trial markets the last 4 years...they can triple the cap at "no charge". There's no free lunch.

Explain why the largest cities (LA / NYC) is not capped.

Expert

@The_Realist wrote:

Rustyben:

How do you think they are doing that?

By using the scammed money they got from the trial markets the last 4 years...they can triple the cap at "no charge". There's no free lunch.

Explain why the largest cities (LA / NYC) is not capped.

we were not in the 'test' area for a long time and it was said in the forums here that if you used more than the alloted 250gb/month repeatedly that someone from comcast would contact you and offer higher limit at extra cost. when they put us in the 'trial', they increased it from 250 to 300 and didn't charge more (at least to me). 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@zoycan wrote:
@stephgc wrote:

This still doesn't explain why you even have data caps; or usage plans as you call them.

Whatever you may think and whatever motivation Comcast has for their policies, bandwidth isn't free. The large percentage of normal users shouldn't have to subsidize the heavy ones. If Customer A uses 50 GB and Customer B uses 300 GB, A is essentially paying part of B's bill, while B continues to complain that they should be able to use even more.

If Comcast had rolled out its data caps nationwide, I might've agreed with you. But if customer B is in a no-cap zone, he doesn't have anything to complain about. He can use, say, 2 TB with no extra charge. And then who pays for it? The people complaining in this thread.

It's nice that they are raising the caps to 1 TB. (Though when we originally signed up data was unlimited...so we're upgrading to less, for free - yay!)

I'm not sure why our household data usage is close to 500 GB this month, as opposed to < 300 GB the previous 3 months. Haven't changed usage patterns. I don't even stream HD video since the caps began, considering that comes in at a $10, $20, or $30 monthly fee to Comcast. All the streaming video sites are forced to SD-only. The modem's wifi light never stops flickering wildly, even at midnight when everyone else's asleep. Xfinity wifi is disabled, and all we have are a few phones and kindles that don't see much more than occasional wifi use. I've whitelisted our MAC addresses and will be changing the wifi password (a strong one) in case it was compromised.

I'd like to see a breakdown of data usage on the modem, per client computer, per website, per day. The current usage meter app is nearly useless; it doesn't give customers any tools to show which computers/websites are using the most bandwidth, so that we will know which things to cut back on. Hey, here's a thought. Actually give us some way to see how the charges accumulate before hitting us with them.

What are these fees paying for, I wonder. Customer service is worse than useless. Engrish script-readers. If the modem fails 10 times in a single morning, that's because it's doing a firmware "up-a-date." "Sir, it's up-a-dating." I tell them over and over and over again that this is not normal and I want to report an outage in the area. No go. "Sir, sir ... (long pause) ... the lights blink because it's doing an "up-a-date." They try something and it works fine until a few minutes after I get off the phone with them. An, must be another firmware "up-a-date." Xfinity phone app says no outages reported in the area. Now I know why they call it Blast! Happened off and on for 2 weeks until it was fixed. Guess another customer managed to establish communication with the company... Tin cans and a string, most likely.

Maybe they could afford phone support reps if they hit e.g. New York, LA, etc. with 100 GB caps? Would be fun to watch the fireworks, at least. I think "selected test areas" is corporate-speak for "we found some people who wouldn't collectively scream like banshees all over social media if their bill was $20 higher next month." Perhaps I'm becoming cynical.

People think 300 GB caps are bad? I remember DirectWAY, long ago. Broadband service, it was called. You were lucky if https sites would even load (before a 15 or 30 second timeout). Latency? > 2200 ms. Only way performance met or exceeded dialup was if the site/service used http, where they had some proprietary proxy. So technically you could stream audio, video, and browse websites. The catch? 250 MB monthly data cap. Yes, megabytes. Exceed that and speeds slowed down to a fraction of dialup. Also had to deal with equipment failures, and it failed everytime it rained. When the contract was up, we upgraded to dialup, and yes it really did feel faster. Cost was about 1/3 that of DirecWAY. Broadband, what a joke!

New Poster

Wow, data usage went from 458 GB last night to 505 GB this afternoon, with most of the household either just doing light browsing or not being anywhere near their computers (e.g. not at home, yard work, cleaning). Who knows, maybe posting this message will take another 10 GB of data?

I looked around my account page and still couldn't find an option to get a breakdown of where the bandwidth is being used - which client computers, which sites, how much per day. Data usage is nowhere to be found in the modem's status/configuration interface. All we get is one number (the total) and no way to understand who/what is contributing to it and to what degree.

Hopefully they aren't including local network traffic by mistake.

Highlighted
Contributor

@nps2011 wrote:

Wow, data usage went from 458 GB last night to 505 GB this afternoon, with most of the household either just doing light browsing or not being anywhere near their computers (e.g. not at home, yard work, cleaning). Who knows, maybe posting this message will take another 10 GB of data?

I looked around my account page and still couldn't find an option to get a breakdown of where the bandwidth is being used - which client computers, which sites, how much per day. Data usage is nowhere to be found in the modem's status/configuration interface. All we get is one number (the total) and no way to understand who/what is contributing to it and to what degree.

Download and install glassware, (Google it) it's a firewall/usage monitoring program that shows every IP address, HTML document, packet and file that is downloaded and used with your bandwidth...Everything that Comcast would never show you.

The good news is that we now have our data cap increased to one TB (1024 gb) from the measly 300gb, so at 75mbps it takes only 2-3 weeks to burn through as most web pages are at least 2 MB of data, and THAT'S pages like this, never mind Imgur which you can rack up 10 -12mbs!

I had to downgrade to a $50+$10 modem with a 10 mbps connection, plus the $35 "unlimited plan" which milked me out of $95-per month, vs $79+$10 modem 75mbps connection which comes out to $90, so I just paid more, for less! (Majority of most modern corperation's creed) I do not believe for a second that it was a company decision alone, my guess it had to be due to pressure from the deluge of complaints to the FCC!

===================Unofficial sig==========================================================================

I would also suggest as a general rule that we should never take out our frustrations with this wretched company on those who have absolutely no control in the company, (Customer service/Tech support) as they already have to deal with the bulk of negative fallout due to their horrific company's anti-consumer executive departments wreaking havoc in this market...

Contributor

@ComcastJessie wrote:

@H8Datacaps

Sorry for the delayed response I wanted to ensure that I have the most accurate information. If you need to have that unlimited plan removed from your account now that we have the terabyte data plan you can do so at any time. Unlike adding the unlimited plan you do not need to provide CSA with any advanced notice. Meaning that if you have that unlimited plan and call CSA to have it removed it will be removed immediately. I would recommend that if you need the extra data you maintain that plan until June when the terabyte plan is to go into effect. 

@bjwilliamson

All markets except for Fresno will get the new terabyte data plan. We are working hard to provide this same option for our Fresno customers and know that we will keep you updated about any changes as more information comes in. 

As always if you have any further questions about data plans feel free to post it here or call CSA directly at 1-888-565-4329 or 1-877-807-6581. 

You're under the incorrect assumption that this is a simple process...

I had to literally call this number 12 TIMES in order to correctly add unlimited service to my account; you know, an honest company would simply be able to add/delete service online *(Cough-cough-AMAZON-cough-cough)* without having to resort to having the customer contact a call center with underpaid employees in a less developed nation...

1-888-565-4329 1-877-807-6581 1-877-863-3167 are the same number, that take you to the same place! 

===================Unofficial sig==========================================================================

I would also suggest as a general rule that we should never take out our frustrations with this wretched company on those who have absolutely no control in the company, (Customer service/Tech support) as they already have to deal with the bulk of negative fallout due to their horrific company's anti-consumer executive departments wreaking havoc in this market...

Contributor

I was already billed on advance for June when I called in May so I ended up paying an extra month.

They said they cannot back date the cancellation of the unlimited charge it is for the next billing period. Which for all of us means we paid an extra month we didn't need to in June.

Yet another money grab.
Regular Contributor

@H8Datacaps wrote:
I was already billed on advance for June when I called in May so I ended up paying an extra month.

They said they cannot back date the cancellation of the unlimited charge it is for the next billing period. Which for all of us means we paid an extra month we didn't need to in June.

Yet another money grab.

They are incorrect.  Call back and cancel.  Can be done same day, and you are refunded for any service you did not use.

|----------------------------------------------------|
I am a simple customer, my posts are my own experiences and opinions.
Current Starter Double Play Customer with Blast Pro Upgrade.
New Poster

Internet Data Cap

I live in Buford GA and have read about Comcast's increase of the data cap from 300Gb to 1Tb. When will this happen?

Thanks.

New Poster

@NoChoice2k15 wrote:

@nps2011 wrote:

Download and install glassware, (Google it) it's a firewall/usage monitoring program that shows every IP address, HTML document, packet and file that is downloaded and used with your bandwidth...Everything that Comcast would never show you.

The good news is that we now have our data cap increased to one TB (1024 gb) from the measly 300gb, so at 75mbps it takes only 2-3 weeks to burn through as most web pages are at least 2 MB of data, and THAT'S pages like this, never mind Imgur which you can rack up 10 -12mbs!

I had to downgrade to a $50+$10 modem with a 10 mbps connection, plus the $35 "unlimited plan" which milked me out of $95-per month, vs $79+$10 modem 75mbps connection which comes out to $90, so I just paid more, for less! (Majority of most modern corperation's creed) I do not believe for a second that it was a company decision alone, my guess it had to be due to pressure from the deluge of complaints to the FCC!

When everyone turned in for the night our data usage was 505 GB. Now it's 536 GB. That's 31 GB overnight with the computers OFF, and total usage is now ~ 200% of what it was the three previous months.

Xfinity data usage through the roof.png

Wow, maybe it would be more straightforward if they rewrote their "you're over your limit" popup to simply say "We're currently experiencing executive difficulties. Please switch to another ISP, or move to an area where our arbitrary data usage rules don't apply."

Thanks for the advice about GlassWire, it's a nifty program. Looks like I'll have to install it on multiple clients though.

Comcast should really be providing bandwidth monitoring services on the modem. Y'know, so we can see what they're charging us for. If I have a question about an item on my auto mechanic's bill, he'll walk over to the vehicle with me, show me what was going on (e.g. worn parts, some problem that developed) and explain what it would have affected and why it was repaired/replaced. Transparency...

Expert

@nps2011 wrote:

@NoChoice2k15 wrote:

@nps2011 wrote:

When everyone turned in for the night our data usage was 505 GB. Now it's 536 GB. That's 31 GB overnight with the computers OFF, and total usage is now ~ 200% of what it was the three previous months.

Wow, maybe it would be more straightforward if they rewrote their "you're over your limit" popup to simply say "We're currently experiencing executive difficulties. Please switch to another ISP, or move to an area where our arbitrary data usage rules don't apply."

Thanks for the advice about GlassWire, it's a nifty program. Looks like I'll have to install it on multiple clients though.

Comcast should really be providing bandwidth monitoring services on the modem. Y'know, so we can see what they're charging us for. If I have a question about an item on my auto mechanic's bill, he'll walk over to the vehicle with me, show me what was going on (e.g. worn parts, some problem that developed) and explain what it would have affected and why it was repaired/replaced. Transparency...

my router has a traffic meter that provides stats for total usage by current day, week, month. Did you check to see if your router has that feature?

New Poster

FINALLY! Comcast is thinking of their customer's instead of how to make an extra buck$$$
I work from home and I am stuck in a contract which prevents me from upgrading to the Comcast business plan that has been recommended by friends that also work from home. We easily cap over 300GB a month and this 1TB of data will finally stop the overage charges we were facing for over a year now. Can't believe I'm saying this... but THANK YOU Comcast!

Contributor

@nmcenery wrote:

FINALLY! Comcast is thinking of their customer's instead of how to make an extra buck$$$
I work from home and I am stuck in a contract which prevents me from upgrading to the Comcast business plan that has been recommended by friends that also work from home. We easily cap over 300GB a month and this 1TB of data will finally stop the overage charges we were facing for over a year now. Can't believe I'm saying this... but THANK YOU Comcast!

I love your optimism, however, I suspect it's more to do with FCC pressure than good will, (Also, they might very well have something sinister up their sleeves that we have yet to see come to fruition as they are still a company not to be fully trusted, so I am still wary...) as this company's track record is downright hostile towards the very people keeping it in business, but admittedly, it would be nice to be proven wrong about this!

Contributor

@ComcastJohnF wrote:

FYI - Customers who have purchased unlimited data will be able to stay on their current unlimited plan through 2016.

I would like to cancel my unlimited, and upgrade to 75mbps/1tb capped from my current plan of 10mbps/unlimited, or would I have to still pay the $35 unlimited for june?

'Cause the "comcast way" would be to allow for an immediate and instantanious $80 75mbps upgrade, yet wait for an entire billing cycle to cancel the $35 unlimited plan, meaning  an $80+$35=$115 charge until the Unlimited plan goes through...Unless I'm mistaken...

Thanks in advance for any insight on the matter...

Contributor

@NoChoice2k15 wrote:

@ComcastJohnF wrote:

FYI - Customers who have purchased unlimited data will be able to stay on their current unlimited plan through 2016.

I would like to cancel my unlimited, and upgrade to 75mbps/1tb capped from my current plan of 10mbps/unlimited, or would I have to still pay the $35 unlimited for june?

'Cause the "comcast way" would be to allow for an immediate and instantanious $80 75mbps upgrade, yet wait for an entire billing cycle to cancel the $35 unlimited plan, meaning  an $80+$35=$115 charge until the Unlimited plan goes through...Unless I'm mistaken...

You already paid $35 for June.  You pay a month in advance.

Frequent Visitor

Data Limit Is About To Be A Thing Of The Past For Me

My neighboorhood has just been approved for cspire 1000gps unlimited internet, they are starting construction and customers can start signing up for access, i am pleased with my extreme 105 speed, but the bandwidth packages are just not acceptable, i used to have unlimited access years ago. Last chance for Comcast to remove this policy and give me unlimited again or ill take the lower cost and faster speed and just deal with it and pay the 200 somthing dollars to have them lay the fiber to my house and the hassle of changing equipment!

Come on guys, with all the streaming and stuff on the net, you need to get with the program and stop metering our usage. I am looking forward to not having to watch my usage or looking at the end of the month and realize i have extra data i payed for and download all i want so it doesnt get wasted...

Frequent Visitor

other services now encroaching on your territory, cspire is offering 1000gps for our neighborhood in june to july timeframe, i welcome the change, just saw this after posting a gripe about the data limit. i seriously hope you decide to keep this 1tb allowance in place, i dont want to be sorry for keeping the service just to see the "trial" change again.

Expert

Re: Data Limit Is About To Be A Thing Of The Past For Me

@AshTray900 wrote:

My neighboorhood has just been approved for cspire 1000gps unlimited internet, they are starting construction and customers can start signing up for access, i am pleased with my extreme 105 speed, but the bandwidth packages are just not acceptable, i used to have unlimited access years ago. Last chance for Comcast to remove this policy and give me unlimited again or ill take the lower cost and faster speed and just deal with it and pay the 200 somthing dollars to have them lay the fiber to my house and the hassle of changing equipment!

Come on guys, with all the streaming and stuff on the net, you need to get with the program and stop metering our usage. I am looking forward to not having to watch my usage or looking at the end of the month and realize i have extra data i payed for and download all i want so it doesnt get wasted...

you probably typo'd meaning 1000 mbps rate. You'll have to revert to a non-x1 entertainment system too. no cloud DVR no streaming access to the many togo channels.

Contributor

@H8Datacaps wrote:

@NoChoice2k15 wrote:

@ComcastJohnF wrote:

You already paid $35 for June.  You pay a month in advance.

Thanks, I am overly suspicious towards this company, so most of this is caution rather than ignorance on my part! Yes, I just got off the phone with CS and they made the transition quite painless, which is why my sig is so accurate, and a great rule of thumb...

Just too bad corperate is too busy trying to empty your pockets at every turn, as this stinking extra $35 charge just to recieve the same internet as the rest of the non-south eastern US proves these scum are no better than criminals, the only difference is how much our rotten congress/Senate are willing to be paid off!...

Contributor

Re: Data Limit Is About To Be A Thing Of The Past For Me

@AshTray900 wrote:

What state are you living in? I'm eager to know as I am in the process of leaving mine!

Contributor

Someone said..from Comcast, on here, that we could wait until June 1st (when the tera-date took effect) to drop our unlimited plan for $35 and that it would happen rigth away.... Well when I called I still had to pay the $35 extra for June and wait unti July 1st for the unlimited to drop from my bill. Given wrong info again...sigh.

Contributor

According to someone on here from Comcast we could wait until June 1st, if we had thr unlimited plan, and call in to cancel and that would happen rigth away. Not so...since I laready paid for the June bill in advanve it wont be until July 1st whne that unlimited will be dropped. Sigh

Contributor

^^^ same here. They got an extra month out of me also.
Contributor

@ComcastJessie wrote:

As the world changes and the Internet evolves, so do we. That’s why we are making a major change to our Internet data trials and moving to a terabyte data plan in ALL of our trial markets.    

In our trials, we have experimented with different offers, listened to feedback, and learned a lot. That is what we said we would do when we launched our trials four years ago – analyze and assess our customers' reaction to the data plans, including being open to increasing them over time. We have learned that our customers want the peace of mind to stream, surf, game, download, or do whatever they want online. So, we have created a new data plan that is so high that most of our customers will never have to think about how much data they use.

We know that data plans can be confusing, and we want to keep this simple. So here’s what’s happening:

• All of the data plans in our trial markets will move from a 300 gigabyte data plan to a terabyte by June 1st, regardless of the speed. 
  • For the very tiny portion of our customer super users (less than 1 percent of our customer base) who want more than a terabyte, they can sign up for an unlimited plan for an additional $50 a month, or they have the option to purchase additional buckets of 50 gigabytes of data for $10 each.
  • We’ll continue to provide easy access to a data usage meter for all of our customers.

We’ve always said that we’d look carefully at the feedback from our trials, continue to evolve our offers, and listen to our customers. We’re currently evaluating our plans to roll this out in other markets, we’ll keep listening – and we'll be open to making further changes in the future to deliver the best high-speed data service to our customers. Feel free to post any questions, comments, or concerns on this thread and if you are wanting more information go here: http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/a-terabyte-internet-experience

I just checked comcast's data usage meter...

COMCAST  DATA USAGE.jpg  

vs an actual usage meter...

,GLASSWIRE DATA USAGE.jpg

...And naturally it states that I'm already at 8 GB vs the actual 2 GB usage plus, glasswire is in real time, vs Comcast's 24 hour delay...(This is Comcast after all, don't expect an honest reading)

My guess is that the terabyte data cap increase is due to both comcast having their own steaming TV service and users wifi being used as a public central hub... (Both unconfirmed and simply speculation on my part though I don't trust this company's word, so...)

And this "TRIAL" is nothing more than a gauge for them to use the caps as a way to price gouge from subscribers located in local/state governments much more receptive to allowing such predatory business practices, as they definitely have guaranteed lobbyist support making reelection pretty much guaranteed and therefore lax laws and regulations for Comcast's (several years) "trial"...

It's amazing that the bulk of this company's customer base would dump them on the same day if they were to have a better choice in providers as at least 75-80% of their customer base have no other choice in ISPs otherwise they would not even exist...

The fact that this company only puts a financial burden on certain states hostile towards their constituant's best interest by allowing price gouging via a data cap while allowing other states unlimited data, shows that this company will use any legal measure in order to take advantage of their position for the detriment of their customer's best interest!

So it doesn't matter that they've increased the cap, as there shouldn't be a cap in the first place, as this info was already leaked and therefore confirms this company's intent towards their customers!

Expert

@NoChoice2k15 wrote:

COMCAST  DATA USAGE.jpg  

...And naturally it states that I'm already at 8 GB vs the actual 2 GB usage plus, glasswire is in real time, vs Comcast's 24 hour delay...(This is Comcast after all, don't expect an honest reading)

*****The Glasswire app only records the bandwidth usage of the computer that it is installed on. If you have other devices / clients on your home network that are also using bandwidth, Glasswire won't record it.*****

Contributor

After 4 years I can finally say Thank You to Comcast for finally raising the limit. When the cap was 300gb Comcast said only the top 1% use more then this. Now with the cap at 1tb Comcast says for the 1% super user that needs more they have an unlimited plan. I would think it would be less then 1%. The math does not add.
Regular Visitor

This information confirms my previous post in which I stated that when I was on the 300GB, for the 3 months trial I was going over by a lot and suddenly after I started paying for unlimitted, I was even reaching the 300 and this is exactly what I am affraid it will happens the day I cancell the unlimitted I bet anything that my usage will start hitting the if not going over the Terrabyte mark. I just looked at my bill and now we are getting hit with two new charges : Broadcast TV fee and Regional Sport fee(I am not suscribed to any sport package). I know these charges are not related to this topic but the point I am trying to make is that this company has to many shady practices that need to be addressed, it is a way to imposs a charge that will produce extra money for the company. I just checked my usage thruough Comcast meter and from midnight to right now my usage is 11GB, granted that the internet has not been used by any one in my house since every one was at work and I just turned the PC on in the last hour.  If we all contact the Attorney General of the different States and the Department of Agriculture (in florida they control Comcast), I believe that we will be able to obtain more results than the ones here. 

Contributor

@EG wrote:

@NoChoice2k15 wrote:

COMCAST  DATA USAGE.jpg  

*****The Glasswire app only records the bandwidth usage of the computer that it is installed on. If you have other devices / clients on your home network that are also using bandwidth, Glasswire won't record it.*****

Yep, and I don't have any apps save my computer, so this is a legit concern...

Expert

O/k then. Your word to God. As stated, it's not just apps on your computer, it's your entire home network / everything behind your router / gateway device if you have them.

Contributor

@EG wrote:
O/k then. Your word to God. As stated, it's not just apps on your computer, it's your entire home network / everything behind your router / gateway device if you have them.

The only thing on my home network is my PC and my router/gateway goes directly to my PC, as far as the built in wifi, I have no devices except my PC...What else is there?

Expert

Alrighty then there is nothing else.