Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Contributor

Re: Comcast Data Usage Meter, not even close to acurate

@EG wrote:
I trust facts...

Like the fact that we're now capped...........or the fact that thebaldchef's data has increased since the cap is being enforced..........? 👍🏻

Problem Solver

If you don't want to have the Hotspot enabled just turn it off.

Select "My Account"
Select "My Services"
Select "XFINITY Internet"
Select "Select Manage your home hotspot"
(  ) Enable my XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature.
(X) Disable my XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature.

Contributor

@MisterEd51 wrote:

If you don't want to have the Hotspot enabled just turn it off.

Select "My Account"
Select "My Services"
Select "XFINITY Internet"
Select "Select Manage your home hotspot"
(  ) Enable my XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature.
(X) Disable my XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature.

I thank you 👍🏻

New Poster

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

What a crock!  Three people in the house, two adults, one teenager and we have gone over each and every month since this BS started.   Netflix a couple of hours each night and email...WOW!!!  My son does game on weekends but using 450GB a month....something stinks.  Can't wait for this contract to come to an end.  

New Poster

Here here.  I second that one.

Contributor

@Socacom_2 wrote:

What a crock!  Three people in the house, two adults, one teenager and we have gone over each and every month since this BS started.   Netflix a couple of hours each night and email...WOW!!!  My son does game on weekends but using 450GB a month....something stinks.  Can't wait for this contract to come to an end.  

I think a 1 TB cap would be more reasonable........I don't usually go over, but why should you pay cause most folks use 300 GB

i use 8-9 GB's a day..........n that just me n the wife on our tablets n iPhone ..........

if we stream some Netflix, we're mindful that we keep the tablet/phone to a minimum......ridiculous 

Problem Solver

@Dragrazor wrote:

@Socacom_2 wrote:

I think a 1 TB cap would be more reasonable........I don't usually go over, but why should you pay cause most folks use 300 GB

i use 8-9 GB's a day..........n that just me n the wife on our tablets n iPhone ..........

if we stream some Netflix, we're mindful that we keep the tablet/phone to a minimum......ridiculous 

How many hours a day do you use Netflix and is it SD or HD? One HD movie could easily be 6GB.

Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream 
of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.

Contributor

@MisterEd51 wrote:

@Dragrazor wrote:

@Socacom_2 wrote:

How many hours a day do you use Netflix and is it SD or HD? One HD movie could easily be 6GB.

Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream 
of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.

I was streaming SD till recently.........Comcast sent me their new HD X1 platform set top box n am now viewing HD......Discovery channel, HBO, etc....

Next movie from Netflix will be HD.......so I'll see how much data that'll use.......

I try n limit my daily usage to 10 GB's (checking the Xfinity app on my tablet), but find it upsurd that it's 2016 n am worried bout overages.....

Reminds me of 1994 when I tracked my cell phone minutes ............

Like I said before, established customers should be grandfathered in n stay unlimited 

Place caps on new customers ....if need be....

Contributor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Comcast promises to have 1 gig speeds by the end of the year with the DOCSIS 3.1 modems they are testing. It will take no time at all with that speed to blow thru 300GB. What I disagree with is the cap is the same for all speed tiers. (have been saying it for years) If I pay extra for more speed I expect more bandwidth. It should be like the Tucson trials. For those who updated to Windows 10, have you noticed an increase in your bandwidth? Did you know that you help distribute Windows updates to other users? Just like a bit torrent client. Also your data is constantly being sent to MS. You can disable these settings for the most part.
Contributor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Mine reset 2 months ago edit: I thought I quoted the message this was referring to. It asked if the Courtesy 3 months reset.
Contributor

@CustomerJoe wrote:
Mine reset 2 months ago edit: I thought I quoted the message this was referring to. It asked if the Courtesy 3 months reset.

By reset, do you mean you received another 3 months? Like 3 month every yesr?

Expert
Moved:

Post Removed for bypassing the Language Filter. Do not post Profanity or use colorful abbreviations to mask its use.

Contributor

@geek46 wrote:
Post Removed for bypassing the Language Filter. Do not post Profanity or use colorful abbreviations to mask its use.

Moved?

i can't view it!

image.png
Expert

Exactly... Neither can any of the public. That's what happens with these types of violations of the regulations...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@EG wrote:
Exactly... Neither can any of the public. That's what happens with these types of violations of the regulations...

Why not just say deleted then? Why moved? To a place no one can read it?

Expert

Uhhh the forum software inserts the "removed" term automatically. And it is in a place where no one can see it. Don't break the rules and it won't happen...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Where do you go to File a complaint about the trails going on that limit your data usage and then charge for additional usage.

Where do you go to file a complaint about the trials going on in different areas that restrict your data usage and then charge you an additional cost to continue using data once you reach a certain number? this must be stopped or we will all be paying for limited data usage.

New Poster

BEWARE your use of data is about to be limited unless you pay more money for it. Where do you file a complaint? FCC?

Your data is about to be limited, it s already in happening in differnt areas. Where do you file a complaint at?

Problem Solver

I live in Huntsville, Alabama. In our city Comcast has competition from AT&T U-verse and WOW. Even with that Comcast imposed a 300GB cap. Now things will heat up with even higher bar being drawn.

1. Last year Comcast quietly added Gigabit Pro as an option for residential customers.

2. A couple months ago AT&T anounced plans to offer GigaPower by the end of 2016

3. Today it was anounced that Google Fiber will be available starting mid 2017 with citywide coverage by 2020.

Some people might ask how did we overcome the obstacles when our city only has a population of 200,000. What really got things in motion was the city realizing that it was being left behind. Cities like Nashvile, Chatanooga and Atlanta either had gigabit internet or were soon to get it. A year ago the mayor anounced an initialtive to request bids by companies either to build or partner to build gigabit internet in Huntsville. Comcast responded by offering a very expensive option. That was followed by AT&T last December. The way we are getting Google Fiber ahead of a lot of other cities is simple.Huntsville's city owned utility company will build the fiber infrastructure and lease it to Google Fiber. It should be noted that the agreement is not exclusive. Other companies can also lease the fiber infrastructure and compete with Google Fiber. I guess that even means Comcast.

Maybe this will serve as a model for the rest of the United States. It is much more economical for one company or utility to build the very expensive fiber infrastructure and lease it out to competing media providers and ISPs. This way everone may be winners.

Frequent Visitor

I'm new customer just learned about data limits , feel like its hidden charges, I think we should be told before we sign a contract that they have limits !!! Shame on u for this xfinity!! I would not have signed up knowing this. GA resident, family of 4., one gamer, one smart HD TV, net flux,  just looked into this -it uses more data to watch the channels in HD ? Then raise the limits to fit a family because we are over our limits already and will be over them continuously. All these hidden fees and tricks are what made u loose so many customers before . I thought xfinity was an upfront company. I contacted Clark Howards consumer hotline to ask that they post this on the news- someone needs to let consumers know what is going on! I am also going to tweet it or try to I am new to all this but some of u know how to let consumers know so I ask that u do it would have saved me a two year contract.

Contributor

I agree and feel for you.  Comcast always price by speed not usage before and after data cap.  I think they should disclose it upfront when making the pitch.  As customers, we feel cheated! Like many of you in this forum, I wish there are more choices and competition in the market.  The government watch dog must be sleeping on this issue, I think.

Contributor

@ahhester wrote:

I'm new customer just learned about data limits , feel like its hidden charges, I think we should be told before we sign a contract that they have limits !!! Shame on u for this xfinity!! I would not have signed up knowing this. GA resident, family of 4., one gamer, one smart HD TV, net flux,  just looked into this -it uses more data to watch the channels in HD ? Then raise the limits to fit a family because we are over our limits already and will be over them continuously. All these hidden fees and tricks are what made u loose so many customers before . I thought xfinity was an upfront company. I contacted Clark Howards consumer hotline to ask that they post this on the news- someone needs to let consumers know what is going on! I am also going to tweet it or try to I am new to all this but some of u know how to let consumers know so I ask that u do it would have saved me a two year contract.

Don't tweet to Comcast/Xfinty.......or add them to a tweet,cause as soon as such keywords as CAPS, DATA. INTENET, etc.....the Send button will disappear n you can't tweet...lol

i posted this a while back n the mod "moved" it (deleted).......not sure why as I ain't lieing 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data usage allowance

I was told by xfinity that u Get 3 free sets before they start charging u maybe that's what is happening to u . 

Contributor

yes I received another 3 months courtesy, I called today to get the unlimited internet. They transferred me to security internet dept. They guy there set it up. He told me that I was in courtesy this month (2 of 3) and wont be charged for any data used. I asked what if I go over the courtesy 50gb and he said it wont matter if I used 800gb I wont be charged. I asked 3 times as I thought once you used the 50gb they would use another courtesy or charge $10. He assured me I wont be charged for any. I still don't believe it but we'll see. Mississippi which is the poorest state in the union has to pay $35 for unlimited instead of $30. Makes no sense to me.
New Poster

Monthly Quota

My current monthly quota is 300 GB / month.  My average monthly usage is 172 GB (well under the quota).  In December, I went over by 8 GB and was assessed $10. (This was due to Microsoft secretly downloading their Windows 10 installation software on all the PC's in the building (5GB per PC).  Since I have to contract for one year should I not be allowed 300 GB x 12 (3.6 T as a quota for the year.

The monthly quota is unfair on a several levels; i.e. it is not applied to all users; we cannot control the advertisement and update traffic down to our PCs; and we are not credited for the bandwith we do not use.  I believe that the FCC should get involved and level the playing field for the monopolisitc entities that reach into our pockets.

New Poster

They happen to be the only "high-speed" service available in my neighborhood.  If you are a manopoly then you shouldn't be able to demand a cap.

Comcast recently had me replace my modum and part of the setup is a free access broadcast.  If someone uses this free access is that counted against my useage?

Bronze Problem Solver

@40thAlabama wrote:

They happen to be the only "high-speed" service available in my neighborhood.  If you are a manopoly then you shouldn't be able to demand a cap.

Comcast recently had me replace my modum and part of the setup is a free access broadcast.  If someone uses this free access is that counted against my useage?

NO the xfinity hot spots are not part of your monthly data usage unless you log into it and use it then yes. You can also disable the hotspot if you dont like the idea of others using your device to access the internet. 

Gold Problem Solver

40thAlabama, you can disable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature.

How to here, with pictures http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/How-to-disable-XFINITY-WiFi-hotspot-on-your...

(48th Alabama)

Frequent Visitor

Contributor

Re: Data Cap Charges

Thanks for wasting time and money to send me a stupid high dollar brochure, Very nice looking, heavy and Im sure wastn cheap. Awesome way of managing resources, oh wait. that was prob spit in a bucket for comcast.

Point being. If comcast can afford to spend that kind of money on a # of crappy booklets to sell me Bells and Whistle. Then comcast has the means to stop this rediculus data cap garbage.

Doesnt matter what one can do to prevent cap. It still accumulates even when ur not home and not useing the service. Only thing one could do to stop the cap is to stop useing the internet all together. I wont be doing this. 

What I will do though. Is switch to someone else. Someone else will be up and running very soon in nashville. I also find it very hilarious that comcast also wants to use the someone else internet service to provide comcast service through. Last I checked. Comcast got denied. Nice try though. Use someone elses internet means to sell your service and still charge ur garbage.

The only thing that might actually keep me with comcast when this other service comes out. Is if comcast gives me more speed without restrictions or caps and without charging my garbage to put it in. I dont think that will ever happen.

Yours Trully

One unhappy wallet

Contributor

@theultimatefan8 wrote:

i was just wondering what are the data cap charges if i go over 300GB? is it really just 10$ if i go over or will they be more charges like say if i hit 500GB or 600GB?

I use, according to Comcast, 600 GB a month and I didn't know to call during my last "free" month (December) to ask for the "unlimited price increase".  So they charged me $90 in data overage charges in January despite me calling in early January.  They said I needed to call a month in advance.

This was not stated on the wrtten notice they send me alerting me to the $30 monthly price increase after the "trial period".

I called 5 times and spent hours on the phone with 8 agents to finally get the $90 data overage taken off my bill.  Took two weeks of people promising they would get back to me, and then not, until I finally got a great rep on the phone today who took empathy on me and promised she would see this through for me and call me back... two hours later got a notice that I was getting $90 credit on my bill.

So yes, do not doubt - they will charge you $10 for every 50 gb you go over.  And it adds up.

Bronze Problem Solver

@theultimatefan8 wrote:

i was just wondering what are the data cap charges if i go over 300GB? is it really just 10$ if i go over or will they be more charges like say if i hit 500GB or 600GB?

It's 10.00 extra for each 50 GB block you go over. If your cap is 300 GB a month and you use 500 GB then you pay 40.00 dollars extra and so on. Some capped markets allow you to pay an extra 30.00 to 35.00 dollars a month to have unlimited data. You are also allowed to exceed the cap three times before they start charging the extra fees. Hope this helps you understand. 

Frequent Visitor

Yes 10.00 per 50 gb for now they say ,but they also probably won't have to tell u if they increase that price either. They FCC hasn't done anything and won't because they list it as a trial and claim to have looked into studies that show most households stay under 300 gb, which ones ? A family of 4,normal size?  We're new customers and just learned 3 weeks ago about the caps, I wish they were required to tell people about the caps before they have u in a two year contract. Good luck to u !! Were looking into other companies but so far ive only found windstream is in our area. They have a monopoly for now but it will soon change and I won't forget this about them ,I will switch as soon as we can find someone comparible. Oh we use about 600 GB per month also one gamer in family and a smart TV with net flux already march 3rd and the speeds just fly they say 50 GB it just gets faster

Contributor

Hi all,

I'm quite clueless about all the data I'm using, and maybe someone can direct me to a site that can explain it, or explain in plain english for me.

I have two computers in my apt, 1 HDDVR box and Cable w/HBO triple play, and Extreme 'net. Ever since I received word that we no longer have unlimited and there's a 300gbcap, then $10 for anything over 50gb AFTER the three 'free' 50gb chunks, I'm constantly over the limit!

All I do is YouTube 2-4 hrs a day, download a few things a week, and watch 2-3 movies a week, usually I try to watch in SD.

My roomate uses my wifi for her phone, and she's on it, and the computer, my data usage meter says her computer is barely at 5gb while mine is over 150 because of my biling schedule, and going over constantly. How much GB could my roomate be using on her cell, and computer. I never thought to charge her to use my 'net, because I didn't have a reason to before the cap.  

I'm on a fixed income, and this bill I get is already too much, any advice is appreciated.

Why does comcast tell me it would cost the same or more to downgrade my service from triple to double, as I never use the phone, just got it because of the special they were running when I moved in several yrs ago.

Contributor

@Anthony19701 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm quite clueless about all the data I'm using, and maybe someone can direct me to a site that can explain it, or explain in plain english for me.

I have two computers in my apt, 1 HDDVR box and Cable w/HBO triple play, and Extreme 'net. Ever since I received word that we no longer have unlimited and there's a 300gbcap, then $10 for anything over 50gb AFTER the three 'free' 50gb chunks, I'm constantly over the limit!

All I do is YouTube 2-4 hrs a day, download a few things a week, and watch 2-3 movies a week, usually I try to watch in SD.

My roomate uses my wifi for her phone, and she's on it, and the computer, my data usage meter says her computer is barely at 5gb while mine is over 150 because of my biling schedule, and going over constantly. How much GB could my roomate be using on her cell, and computer. I never thought to charge her to use my 'net, because I didn't have a reason to before the cap.  

I'm on a fixed income, and this bill I get is already too much, any advice is appreciated.

Why does comcast tell me it would cost the same or more to downgrade my service from triple to double, as I never use the phone, just got it because of the special they were running when I moved in several yrs ago.

It all depends on how long she's on it n what she's doing .....texting, on Facebook, on Instagram, steaming music or movies erc

just ask her to pay the overage? Explain that it's no longer unlimited..l

New Poster

I hear a lot of bleating sheeple. Vote with your wallets:

I just told the family that, come this baloney in my area, we are done with comcast and to get used to the idea of no internet until an alternative is found. The point being that we will not be able to use the service for what it is meant for in this household with out incurring significant increase in cost. I'm already paying over a benny a month and will not pay more to have what I already have. Most (if not all) of the internet - as a service - is a convenience not a necessity. As for emails and important communication I have my phone. So do you.

Contributor

Comcast definitely needs to adjust either their cap levels or their pricing if they are going to have usage caps.  I get 1TB usage from my webhost for $10/month with $0.02/GB overage fees (so $1/50GB ), there's no reason I shouldn't be able to get similar from comcast.  I don't necessarily expect this cheap of pricing from comcast, but their current numbers are way off reasonable.

Luckly this doesn't affect me yet, but Comcast can be sure that if it does come here and the caps/prices are still at these levels I will be going elsewhere.  Century link has recently been through here upgrading their equipment and trying to switch people over to their service.  Other alternatives exist as well.

Contributor

BE SURE AND CALL DURING YOUR "FREE" MONTH OF OVERAGE TO SUBMIT TO THE $30 ADDITIONAL FEE.

I didn't call until my "trial" period was over and they said I needed to call a month in advance it was too late for the month we were in, they would not "backdate" it.  I said it sure would be nice if you told us this, not made it a surprise.

I got charged $90 additional for that month.  A customer for 10 years with everything, phone, all cable channels, security I was not pleased.

I spend about 4 hours on the phone with 6 different people (the first batch promised to call me back in 4 days (!) but never did, called a week later went through 3 people, got a call back, went through 2 people, finally the last woman I spoke with was kind and actually did speak to someone and get me the $90 credit.

I had to fight a long time for it.  Be sure and call prior to your "trial" period ending.

Frequent Visitor

Who are u with , I'm looking for another option hopefully quickly,thanks

New Poster

Watching videos in local network (like Plex) counts as data usage (Data cap)

I have many videos on my laptop I've downloaded in the past from iTunes. I'm using Plex in order to watch them on other devices I have (Roku tv, Tablets, etc.). I've noticed that even though I'm not downloading any new videos from the internet, my data usage is really really high which can only be explained if Comcast is counting data which is being transferred on my local network as part of the data usage.

This is absurd! Data on local network is data I've already consumed and should not be counted as part of the data usage, even if it goes through the router. The data is basically moved from one computer of mine to another and no "internet" connection is involved. I'm considering buying an external router in order to over come this problem but I'm not sure it will actually solve it. I tried to read about this annoying problem in Plex forums but could not find a valid solution. Did anyone managed to solve this problem?

New Poster

I have many videos on my laptop I've downloaded in the past from iTunes. I'm using Plex in order to watch them on other devices I have (Roku tv, Tablets, etc.). I've noticed that even though I'm not downloading any new videos from the internet, my data usage is really really high which can only be explained if Comcast is counting data which is being transferred on my local network as part of the data usage.

This is absurd! Data on local network is data I've already consumed and should not be counted as part of the data usage, even if it goes through the router. The data is basically moved from one computer of mine to another and no "internet" connection is involved. I'm considering buying an external router in order to over come this problem but I'm not sure it will actually solve it. I tried to read about this annoying problem in Plex forums but could not find a valid solution. Did anyone managed to solve this problem?

New Poster

GB per month allowed

How many GB /month are allowed?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Suggested data caps and how to keep gamers from abusing the system

Agree there should be a higher cap (for those who have such).  There needs to be a balance between the majority of people who stream more than ever and the gamers who HEAVILY abuse the system and use as much as 10TB or even more in some cases per month.

As I would do it:

The cap would be at 1.25TBs (1,280GB ) per month.  Given how many websites now start video whether you ask to or not, that increase would easily accommodate all of that for most families of 4-5.

Overages would be as follows:

Up to 2TBs: Free the first six times you fall between 1.25 and 2TBs a month, $25 per 256 GB (.25 TB ) after that (you're allowed to go to 2TBs six times before you pay for over 1.25TB, this would not apply to this with super high-end broadband users who would have a 2TB limit).
Between 2-3TB: $40 per 256GB (.25TB ).you go over 2 TB
Between 3-4TB: $60 per 256GB (.25TB ) you go over 3 TB.
Over 4TB: $250 per 1TB you go over.4TB

That would make those who REALLY abuse the system pay through the nose (especially the high-end gamers who can consume as much as 10TBs or more a month in some cases) while those who are normal not pay anything extra and would be fair for all.

Frequent Visitor

Re: GB per month allowed

300gb then they will change u  $10.00 per each additional 50gb

They will give u three months of free overages if ur in a data cap area

Frequent Visitor

Re: GB per month allowed/Link to areas where that is the case.

Yes, but apparently that does not apply to anywhere in the northeast (New York, New Jersey, Connecticuit, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Massachussetts, etc.)  It seems to be more outside most (but not all) of the "big market" areas (especially in Comcast's home area of Philly and beyond).

This link is to the areas actually under a data cap according to Comcast's site.

Also, check your account number.  ONLY those account numbers listed according to their site are affected.

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

We have connected everything but one iPad mini to a nearby Xfinity hot spot, yet they continue to show us using over 10gb a day. No movies, no file downloads and no one home most of the day. I run a network monitor and know that no one is piggybacking or war driving me. Comcast is trying to get more $ from its customers by cheating, plain and simple, they are criminals.

Bronze Problem Solver

@RayDionne wrote:

We have connected everything but one iPad mini to a nearby Xfinity hot spot, yet they continue to show us using over 10gb a day. No movies, no file downloads and no one home most of the day. I run a network monitor and know that no one is piggybacking or war driving me. Comcast is trying to get more $ from its customers by cheating, plain and simple, they are criminals.

When you log into an xfinity hotspot it counts against your monthly data usage. Using a hotspot will not stop your data usage from going up unless your logged in using someone else's log in information. 

Contributor

@Jim721 wrote:

@RayDionne wrote:

When you log into an xfinity hotspot it counts against your monthly data usage. Using a hotspot will not stop your data usage from going up unless your logged in using someone else's log in information. 

YeAP, if your logged in with your account......it's deducted,,......lfrom your account 

Contributor

I haven't paid much attention to caps because we haven't been getting close to the caps. However, we are now streaming more movies, and video games are getting larger and larger to download (30-40 GB is not unusual for a video game these days). We've been hovering around 150-200 GB a month, but we are going to cut the cord on TV soon and go to streaming-only. We are testing it this month, and we are already at 150 GB and the month is only halfway over. I'm pretty sure our "suspended" cap used to be either 300 or 350 GB (I can't recall), but I notice it was lowered to 250 GB at some point. We are only two adults that watch TV from 6-11pm, and I play and download games, so we are probably well below what a full family would use, but it looks like with moderate streaming and game use, we are going to have to worry about that 250 GB cap in the future. They are setting the bar awfully low, considering 4k streaming and game streaming are picking up steam and video games are getting larger and more data-heavy. In a few years, 250 GB will be nothing. To boot, they've already mentioned that caps have nothing to do with infrastructure or network load, but they are merely creating an artificial limit so people will hit it and have to pay more. Due to the fact there is no competition for high speed internet in my city, there are no other options.
Bronze Problem Solver

250 GB was the old cap they had for years and if your in a suspended area now it will still reflect that number although it is suspended. That said when they do indeed cap your area it will likely be 300 GB a month like in most capped markets. And by today's standards is way to low I believe it should be at least 600 GB a month but I guess they won't make enough extra revenue doing that. I am also a very happy cord cutter and have no intentions on ever going back to endless commercials and reruns.