Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Contributor

Re: CALL FOR THE NEW PRICE IN YOUR SECOND MONTH OF COURTESY!!!!!!!

@H8Datacaps wrote:

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE

If you are going over the artifically low 300GB limit, YOU MUST CALL DURINIG YOUR LAST COURTESY MONTH TO START PAYING $30 MORE A MONTH.

I made the mistake of calling in January, which is the month that my "courtesy" period ran out and they WILL NOT put me on as of January 1.  So I am paying an extra $80 in January.

I went to the Comcast store to try and reduce my services - while they agreed that I can cancel my contract due to the price increase (which took some convincing and reading the language in the terms and conditions to them).  THEY TOLD ME THAT WHILE I COULD CANCEL MY CONTRACT, THEY WOULD STILL CHARGE THE EARLY TERMINATION FEES.  AND, THEY WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO REDUCE SERVICES TO OFFSET THE ADDITIONAL $30/MONTH FEE.

So, after two hours on the phone and a trip to Comcast, I have zero satisfaction.

ANYONE READING THIS, PLEASE MOVE THE $30 INCREASE DURING YOUR LAST MONTH OF "COURTESY" OR YOU WILL BE PAYING A HowLOT MORE THAN YOU BARGAINED FOR IN THE NEXT MONTH.

oh am I upset by Comcast and this new policy.  Why have a contract when they can raise the price and there's nothing you can do about it.

How much is your Comcast Bill each month...? Am at $215!

Contributor

$199 for anywhere DVR plus $38 for alarm somehow turns into $281 after all the taxes.

Now $310+ and I'm stuck, they won't let me downgrade.  

The minute I can transfer out I will.  They way they treat customers is abhorrent.  I've been paying them for 10 years and they will not let me reduce my services and pricing.  I was out of contract for 3 years when they roped me in last year with some "deal" they had on the alarm, it saved me $20 at the time.  Now they are going to raise it back up the $30.

New Poster

Hi everyone.  I think that we can all agree, the data caps are ridiculous and for most of us, we're trapped when it comes to choosing a provider.  Like many of you, I have small children and choose to use an AppleTv and or other similiar device rather than deal with cable.  This of course demands more bandwith.  Due to higher resolutions, not just of movies, but pictures and everything else, more tranfers of data are required.   

• Microsoft 365 now cloud based
  • Adobe Photoshop and other edit (now require cloud)
  • And many other services that were once local are no streaming

Since I am being billed for an overage, even if that overage is slight, why doesn't comcast charge back those who advertise, using my data without my consent. This can drastically add up, especially with high resolution feeds such as those on youtube.   The data cap in my opnion is simply unreasonable.  

Between HD and Ultra HD the data used would be 3-7GB per hour.  So let's focus on 5GB per hour.   This would mean that no more than 1.9 hours of streaming HD could be done per day.  This is suggesting that there is no internet browsing among users, no downloads for computer updates or those pesky advertising.  

It just drives me nuts to have to constanly watch my data to make sure I don't have unexpected fee's continually jack me up.  

My Rant for the evening

Expert
Moved:

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

POST REMOVED FOR VIOLATION OF FORUM POSTING GUIDELINES.  

CIRCUMVENTION OF LANGUAGE FILTERS.

POSTING AFTER BEING AUTO-WARNED.

Contributor

350 a month not including extra charges due to cap overages.

Note. Data is used even when useing xfinity services. Not just Netflix or hulu or whatever Comcast tried to redirect your attention to since they are competing against those companies. They just don't mention or try to avoid subject when you mention about xfinity useing your data.
Contributor

And how much data is used by my Comcast alarm with it's camera.... maybe that's why my bill is so high.

We can cry all we want.  There is NOTHING we can do about it, if we have a contract.  They will NOT budge an inch.  I wanted to give up HBO and Showtime or go to another cable plan...NO was my answer.  You signed up for this and you get this and pay for it or suffer super high early termination fees (which aren't listed in the terms and conditions, by the way).

If someone figures out a way for relief, I'd love to hear it.

Administrator
New Poster

how many gb of data do I have with my plan a month?

what are the GB per month limit on blast?

New Poster

Re: how many gb of data do I have with my plan a month?

300gb here in TN. I asked if I were on a faster plan, would my cap be increased. Answer was no. I would have the allocation.
Contributor

@H8Datacaps wrote:

$199 for anywhere DVR plus $38 for alarm somehow turns into $281 after all the taxes.

Now $310+ and I'm stuck, they won't let me downgrade.  

The minute I can transfer out I will.  They way they treat customers is abhorrent.  I've been paying them for 10 years and they will not let me reduce my services and pricing.  I was out of contract for 3 years when they roped me in last year with some "deal" they had on the alarm, it saved me $20 at the end of time.  Now they are going to raise it back up the $30.

Wow, I have Comcast triple play wth HBO n blast Internet .......originally the "deal" was only $149......plus taxes n fees......it's slowly creeped up to 207! N now as of two months ago $215!

That's almost what I pay for my car every month! Crazy ........n I wouldn't be upset had they not started with their caps BS!

Just last month I installed their new HD X1 box..........they'll prob start charging me more for the equipment rental, even though they claimed it was free....

Frequent Visitor

Data usage

There's message in my data usage enforcement of the 250GB data consumption thresholds currently suspended what does it mean is my data limited or unlimited please let me know
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data usage

It means that there is a data cap, but it's currently suspended for you. So it doesn't matter if you go over the limit for now. Comcast are trialing new data caps and they are gradually introducing them into more market areas.

See here for more info:

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials/

Frequent Visitor

How long it will be unlimited and I heard there's some areas that doesn't has cap
Silver Problem Solver

Your guess is as good as mine. They can implement it any time they please, the "trials" have been on going a few years now.and like I say gradually expanding. I'm sure they will stick it to us all eventually. (unless you are lucky enough to be in an area, that has real competition). They do have an unlimited option in some areas of the trial, where you pay $30 or $35 extra.
Frequent Visitor

For how long it's been going on the unlimited trials I called the customer sucerty assurance thay told me there's no data allowance in my erea I don't know if it's true
Silver Problem Solver

Your data limit is suspended, you can go over without charge. Nothing to worry about until they do bring in a cap for your area.

In certain trial areas that do have the cap enforced, there is an unlimited option, read about it here:

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/exp-unlimited-data

Frequent Visitor

When Comcast removed data cap of 250 GB and what is the data cap for all their plans now
Frequent Visitor

This Needs to End

Comcast has essentially devalued their service with this cap. There is absolutely no benefit to their customers, yet they believe they can sell us on "fairness". They believe that hindering costumers’ use of their product, or overcharging them for it, will bode well for them in the future. They believe that their deception is effective, that ultimately people will not see beyond their faint smoke of poor analogies and illogical reasoning. To be this delusional and corrupt is not a beneficial nature; it is corrosive. Comcast is not only cheating their competitors, they are cheating their customers and cheating themselves. Instead of improving the value of their service, they want to leech off others. They wish to not only become obsolete, but detested.

I challenge any Comcast employee, from forum mod to CEO, to objectively justify this practice. Address the public on why this is "fair". Explain to us how this actually benefits anyone other than Comcast. You've failed every attempt so far.

Otherwise, this needs to end.

Silver Problem Solver

Not sure what's so difficult to understand. Your data limit is suspended, you have no cap right now.

Click on the link in my first reply and do some reading.

Frequent Visitor

Data Caps - Advertising on Comcast

There are more and more streamed ads and I have to actively click them off. In fact, I have to keep the sound off because an ad usually pops up and blasts me out of my seat. 

Two questions regarding data caps:  

1.Do all of these ads count against the 300GB I am rationed?  

2. Why do some cities have data caps, but not all cities? Isn't that discrimination? What is the justification for charging Little Rock residents more for the same service? 

Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast has a real knack for alienating customers rather than keeping them. It is easier to keep a customer than find a new one. In their infinite wisom, Comcast have failed to notice that, in our neighborhood, we have at least two other ISPs and another on the way.

Data caps are certainly no way to keep this customer.

Next month after we ditch Comcast we shall have faster Internet service, more services (we shall actually have non-OTA TV again!!), lower costs, no data caps, and (best of all) no more Comcastic-harassment such as increased prices for fewer and fewer services. Check out your competition Comcast. Take a lesson.

Comcast tries to fix something that's broken by beating it with a sledgehammer. Yeah, that works.

Frequent Visitor

Massive Bandwidth Usage

It is February 1st at 7:30am and my Internet Usage says that I have already used 27GB of data [almost 10% of my monthly]. I just woke up and nobody has been using the internet. This is an ongoing problem from last month in which we saw our bandwidth usage triple. I changed my password and spoke SEVEN times to Tech Support and Security Assurance combined!!!

Frequent Visitor

It is February 1st at 7:30am and my Internet Usage says that I have already used 27GB of data [almost 10% of my monthly]. I just woke up and nobody has been using the internet. This is an ongoing problem and I want this issue resolved. I changed my password and spoke SEVEN times to Tech Support and Security Assurance combined!!!

Contributor

Proof that comcast is crooked

I was logged in last night since around 8:00 PM till about 1:30 AM. At the time, my meter said I was upto 284gb for the month. So I had plenty of data left so I went at it. Started streaming some stuff on my laptop. To my amazement, I checked this morning and my January usage was still at 284gb but my Feb meter said 6GB!!! What??? As you con see from the the screenshots of BitMeter, I had on used up about 130MB after midnight.

Tags (3)
BitMeter.png
Crooks.png
Contributor

My data usage meter told me that I used 4GB out of 300GB on Feb. 1st, 2016 for shutting down all of my computers and router to go to bed at midnight.  Before going to bed, I took a snapshot of the comcast data usage meter showing "ZERO" usage.  Woke up this morning at 6:00 A.M EST, and log onto Comcast data usage meter to do a quick check.  It said I used 4GB between midnight and 6:00 A.M. EST when all computers routers were off.  Called the Comcast QSA team, and sent them the picture to prove that their application is incorrectly calculated data.  They were speechless, and agreed to escalate this issue to next level.

I think Comcast's application is very buggy, and the people who support it just go by what they have on the screen.  I urge everyone go through their data usage meter to insure accuracy.  Then file a FCC report with the subject line "Monopoly".  It is going to take time for the FCC to resolve this, but it will come up on a weekly round table meeting if we generate enough complains.  Like many of you, I do not have a liberty to leave Comcast since they are the only broadband provider in my zip code. 

Contributor

@Paraniod wrote:

Not sure what's so difficult to understand. Your data limit is suspended, you have no cap right now.

The caps have been suspended? 

Silver Problem Solver

@Dragrazor wrote:

@Paraniod wrote:

The caps have been suspended? 

No LOL!

I was actually replying to questions from Go4 in a seperate thread. However, the whole thread was moved over into this one.

Frequent Visitor

Second day of barely using internet and now it is at 76GB....No response from Comcast

Contributor

They SAY they're going to "escalate it" to get you off the phone but, did they ever call you back?
New Poster

Shame on you Xfinity - New Data Usage Cap

Shame on whomever made the decision to put a cap on data usage. We're relatively new customers who would've gone elsewhere had we known a data cap plan was in the works. Why not grandfather your existing customers into the unlimited plan?! No, your greed has decided to charge $1/day for unlimited data. In this day and age where data is needed for everything. SHAME ON YOU! We will be doing our research and going elsewhere. $30/month is basically $1/day which is too much for essential service. GREED WILL GET YOU! We will be researching for service elsewhere. Even if we're charged the same, the moral standard of knowing it upfront is enough to leave Xfinity. Shady!!!!!

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Comcast Data Usage Meter, not even close to acurate

I use dd-WRT router,  and everything connects through it (we do not use xfinitywifi either).

Since the 1st, Comcast reports 8GB used this month, where the router's meter, shows only around 2GB used. Every month Comcast always shows I used way more data than the router meter indicates was actually used.

Seems really shady. Perhaps it is being done on purpose (in anticipation of charging for exceeding the data caps)?

edit

within a span of 15 min, the comcast meter went from 8GB to 6GB of use this month. Whats the deal with that?

Capture.PNG

I will post a screenshot of what Comcast reports:

Capture.PNG

Frequent Visitor

Re: Comcast Data Usage Meter, not even close to acurate

deleted

Contributor

Very similar to mine

1. Comcast Data Usage Meter displayed at midnight 1/31/2016 with "NO USAGE" or monthly reset

2016-01-31 23_16_16-Usage Meter_cutoff.jpgCutoff time at Midnight

2. Comcast Data Usage Meter displayed 4GB data was used since midnight to 5:33 A.M.  During that time, I shutdown my computers and router.  Basically there was no activity at all.  You will see this on the third picture where I monitored it from my router.

2016-02-02 18_47_18-2016-02-01 05_33_56-Comcast _ 4GB_inactivity.jpgComcast charged me 4GB during the time that my computers and routers were turned off

3. Here is my router monitoring data usage.  It is connected directly to the Cable modem.  The total usage during the shutdown time was 0.  16.95KB is the traffic for log on to Comcast web site to check the meter.

2016-02-01 05_34_54-MyhomeDataUsageMonitor.jpgMy router shown no traffic during the shutdown time. I wonder how and where Comcast got the 4GB from

Frequent Visitor

Data usage 250

What is xfinty mean by saying 250 gb third suspended
Frequent Visitor

Feb 1st: 27GB

Feb 2nd: 76GB

Feb 3rd: 208GB!!!!

And I'm not even home all day long...

Contributor

May be Comcast, added up the previous total 2 days and times 2 to give you the total for a third day.  Your fourth day may look approximately like this (27+76+208)*2.  What a shame!, Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

Data usage allowance

I have masge in data usage that says enforcement of 250 data usage consumption threshold is currently suspended what does that even mean
Contributor

Comcast needs to set realistic caps...like 1000GB or 1TB?
Frequent Visitor

Plot thickens.  Yesterday we had no internet or cable all day or night due to an area outage. And still my usage jumped up to 234GB

Contributor

I fully agree, but this is what Comcast reported to the FCC

"The FCC has previously recognized that usage-based pricing for Internet service is a legitimate billing practice that may benefit consumers by offering them more choices over a greater range of service options. Comcast and other Internet service providers are trialing usage-based billing approaches in response to evolving consumer data usage patterns and online activities.1 Comcast is trialing an innovative usage-based billing approach that relieves lighter end users from paying the same price as heavier end users, while enabling those heavier end users to continue using as much data as they want without being subjected to a hard cap; Comcast’s data usage plan trials are not intended or designed to manage congestion on its network.
The vast majority of XFINITY Internet customers use less than 300 GB of data per month and, in fact, the median monthly data usage by XFINITY Internet customers over the last six months was 40 GB.2 Most customers should therefore see no increase in their monthly service fees under Comcast’s usage-based billing policy. This pro-consumer policy helps to ensure that Comcast’s customers are treated fairly, such that those customers who choose to use more, can pay more to do so, and that customers who choose to use less, pay less.
Additionally, In June 2015, a report analyzing Comcast’s methods to obtain accurate data readings was published by NetForecast—an independent auditor of ISP data usage meters. This report supports the accuracy of Comcast’s data usage meter within plus or minus (+/-) 1% over the course of a month."

What a deception that was!

Contributor

@vshoang wrote:

"The FCC has previously recognized that usage-based pricing for Internet service is a legitimate billing practice that may benefit consumers by offering them more choices over a greater range of service options. Comcast and other Internet service providers are trialing usage-based billing approaches in response to evolving consumer data usage patterns and online activities.1 Comcast is trialing an innovative usage-based billing approach that relieves lighter end users from paying the same price as heavier end users, while enabling those heavier end users to continue using as much data as they want without being subjected to a hard cap; Comcast’s data usage plan trials are not intended or designed to manage congestion on its network.
The vast majority of XFINITY Internet customers use less than 300 GB of data per month and, in fact, the median monthly data usage by XFINITY Internet customers over the last six months was 40 GB.2 Most customers should therefore see no increase in their monthly service fees under Comcast’s usage-based billing policy. This pro-consumer policy helps to ensure that Comcast’s customers are treated fairly, such that those customers who choose to use more, can pay more to do so, and that customers who choose to use less, pay less.
Additionally, In June 2015, a report analyzing Comcast’s methods to obtain accurate data readings was published by NetForecast—an independent auditor of ISP data usage meters. This report supports the accuracy of Comcast’s data usage meter within plus or minus (+/-) 1% over the course of a month."

What a deception that was!

Yes and it's not like my mother who uses only a little data got a discount on her bill.  I responded in kind to the FCC guy.  Crickets.

No, this is just charging us a premium because they are a monopoly and they can.

Contributor

@vshoang wrote:

What a deception that was!p

Perhsos the majority don't have teenagers in their household ..........

we don't normally go over, but during summer vacation when the kids are home streaming Netflix n surfing the net on their tablets.......we used 1. 483......for that month! 

We have only gone over the 300 cap......once! N it was over by like 20 something GB's

If comcast would give it's customer roll over data like att mobility does, then most would be fine, as I have 20 to 30 GB's to spare most months (last month only had 5 GB's left over)

If I'd have roll ober I could build a reserve for when I do go over!

We pay for 300 weather we use them or not.......but we get billed for going over n not rewarded for staying under the 300! That's wrong!

Also when my cable is out, I can see the outage on the Xfinity MY ACCOUNT APP n see where Comcast is aware that the service is not working, yet they don't credit me! That's also wrong!

Last time my cable was out I called n requested a credit n was told it was automatically credited when it goes out..........do you think they credited my bill.......of coarse NOT!

Contributor

This is the line that caught me thinking what a bunch of Con artists

"Comcast is trialing an innovative usage-based billing approach that relieves lighter end users from paying the same price as heavier end users, while enabling those heavier end users to continue using as much data as they want without being subjected to a hard cap; Comcast’s data usage plan trials are not intended or designed to manage congestion on its network."

1. Comcast is not pricing their package by usage, they price by Performance like Blast, Extreme, Blas plus etc..

2. Comcast can always relieve lighter end users by implementing usage base pricing like the wireless companies.

3. 300GB is nothing nowaday.  A few hours of HD streaming or youtube videos will eat them up.  This happen to me when I have a few guests came to visit last week.  All they did were streaming netflix, and watching youtube video.  I saw 300GB disappeared in a blink of eyes.

I believe Comcast did it purposely to prevent wired cutters.

New Poster

We just need to give pressure to Google fiber to come to our locations if enough people show interest then they will come. I too am tired of the data cap.
New Poster

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

Exactly what has happened to me! Never gone over 175GB until this program started 3 months ago. Which luckily they excuse your overage for the first 3 months, but still very suspect if you ask me. And if you call to ask for help figuring out why your usage has gone up SO much SO suddenly, you, the "valued customer" are met with a "it must be something you are doing" attitude. The only solution they offer is to pay $10/month more for unlimited data. Thanks Comcast/Xfinity! My $257/month bill isn't enough to cover my data usage? Even though this data cap (aka data usage plan. HA! Liars, It's a cap. It's a CAP! Stop lying to your customers!) is horribly unethical and one of the slimiest business practices I've ever been the victim of, I had planned to keep Comcast/Xfinity (what IS this company called by the way?) when my family and I move next month so we don't have to pay $150 for early termination. So when I called yesterday to schedule our move I'm told Comcast/Xfinity doesn't service the area we're moving to. Ok, but what does that mean for that early termination fee? I ask. Oh that, you will have to pay that sir. It's in the contract. They say. You mean the one they got me to agree to over the phone? With a heavily accented associate that doesn't tell you all the details. I say. Yes, but you were sent a copy via email. They say. But that's after the deal was done. I said. Well I'm sorry sir, but you will have to pay $150 early termination fee. They said.

Doesn't seem legal to me. I had every intention of honoring my end of the contract, but because Comcast/Xfinity isn't available in the area I HAVE TO move to for work I'm penalized? It's Comcast/Xfinity's fault the contract is being terminated early, not mine! Not up to me which areas they service!

I have been a loyal customer for several years and I WOULD HAVE considered coming back to them should I ever move back to an area they service or if they were to get access to the area we're moving to, BUT NOT NOW! NOT EVER! Yet another customer lost for life. But what do they care? They will have replaced me with 50 new customers by the end of my rant anyway. Hopefully we will wake up and scream from the mountain tops...

COMCAST/XFINITY IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY THAT WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU EVERY WAY THEY CAN!! 

New Poster

YES! Same thing here in ATL. I changed my WiFi password and turned everything off overnight and still 50GB got used!!

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?!?

Contributor

@thebaldchef wrote:

YES! Same thing here in ATL. I changed my WiFi password and turned everything off overnight and still 50GB got used!!

HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?!?

Do you have a Comcast wifi router...? Maybe other customers are using it as a hotspot?

Not sure how those hotspots work? I have the apple air port wifi router, so no hotspot from me...

Expert

The public WiFi hotspot is a separate bandwidth.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@EG wrote:
The public WiFi hotspot is a separate bandwidth.

You trust Comcast .....do you? Lol

Expert

I trust facts...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!