Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

The billing Comcast is using is ridiculous. Comcast has the exculsive franchise for out community. Personally I am contacting our Mayor and City Council to allow other companies in the area. I am also contacting our state lawmakers to push for new laws regulating comcast and other internet providers. To me this is price fixing similar to prescription drugs.

Expert
Moved:

Post removed due to a deliberate forum language filter bypass violation.

Frequent Visitor

@Rocky3rd wrote:

So Comcast is offering an alternative to the data cap for just an extra $30-35...That's great news for those who need more than 300 GB a month

NO! That's horrible news. It's a money grab for what you already had. File a complaint to the FCC. They are ROBBING us!

Contributor

On top of that, Comcast can't 

1. provide accurate and consistent data usage

2. work with customers to resolve potential issue

3. explain the detail of data being logged

Contributor

@vshoang wrote:

On top of that, Comcast can't 

1. provide accurate and consistent data usage

2. work with customers to resolve potential issue

3. explain the detail of data being logged

Nor can they give you data older than three months old.  I spent over an hour with several different people at Comcast trying to get my data usage for the last year because I think their new security system is causing me to use 600 gb+ a month. 

Contributor

Wow! 600GB a month is a lot, but it is going to add up if Comcast counts your data usage 2 times.  That is exactly what I saw them doing after monitoring them for the last 3 weeks.

For the old data usage, you should be able to compare the last 3 months if you login to their desktop apps or website.  Though you can't find out much beside looking at those bars comparison.

Contributor

@vshoang wrote:

Wow! 600GB a month is a lot, but it is going to add up if Comcast counts your data usage 2 times.  That is exactly what I saw them doing after monitoring them for the last 3 weeks.

For the old data usage, you should be able to compare the last 3 months if you login to their desktop apps or website.  Though you can't find out much beside looking at those bars comparison.

It's been 600+ every month since I installed the security system.  We only stream one or two movies a month.  My 2 kids do watch YouTube like every kid for an hour or so every day but we use 300 GB in 10 days.  I don't believe that I'm really using all that but despite my hours on the phone Comcast cannot tell me what is using all that data.  

I truly wonder how many Comcast customers use less than 300 GB according to their gauges.

Frequent Visitor

My data usage went back to my normal low usage after I exchanged the modem,  turned off wifi on the Comcast modem and setup tight security on my wireless router.  Went from 102GB in first three days of this month to 1 to 2 GB per day since.

@H8Datacaps wrote:

@vshoang wrote:

It's been 600+ every month since I installed the security system.  We only stream one or two movies a month.  My 2 kids do watch YouTube like every kid for an hour or so every day but we use 300 GB in 10 days.  I don't believe that I'm really using all that but despite my hours on the phone Comcast cannot tell me what is using all that data.  

I truly wonder how many Comcast customers use less than 300 GB according to their gauges.

Contributor

Oldjetdriver could you link to how to turn off the wifi on the router?  I have good security on my apple extreme router.

Wait, I can't because the security system uses it.  

I think this security system must be using all the data.  

Contributor

My data usage started to go up last November from 61GB in October to 347GB for surfing the internet, watching little youtube and playing a few games on roblox.com during that time.  Though the usage data was not added up using the data calculator.

I noticed Comast changed their data collection method in November, and that was when the problem occurred for most customers.  You can shut down everything at night, and the data still accumulated by Comcast. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Frequent Visitor

Link to enable bridge mode and use your wireless router https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode/

@H8Datacaps wrote:

Oldjetdriver could you link to how to turn off the wifi on the router?  I have good security on my apple extreme router.

Wait, I can't because the security system uses it.  

I think this security system must be using all the data.  

Contributor

@Oldjetdriver wrote:

Link to enable bridge mode and use your wireless router https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode/

Oldjetdriver thank you so much for helping me.

NOTE - if anyone follows these instructions you'll need to set your router to enable DHCP and NAT.  I had been using the comcast device for my Router, and the Comcast device was providing my DHCP and Nat.  So when I switched it to Bridge mode, I had no internet.

Turning on DHCP and NAT on my Airport Extreme (under the network tab) got my connectivity back for all my devices.

Unfortunately, this is going to be too late for me.  My 3 month "Trial" is up this month so next month I either have to pay up or go back to DSL.

Contributor

@H8Datacaps wrote:

@vshoang wrote:

It's like the Iran deal.......they get to monitor n inspect themselves 

New Poster

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

I've monitored my usage for months.   I usually average between 25-30 GB per month prior to September.   In September, something changed.   Beginning mid-Sept, my usage jumped over 100 GB in one day.   I checked my usage on Dec 10, 2015 and I had used 7 GB for the first 10 days.   That evening I also noticed that there was internet interruption in my area.   I was able to check email and local news.  Looked at nothing else.   On Dec 11th, I checked my usage and I had used 150 GB since the previous day.   I have everything turned off at night.   I'm not doing any iCloud backup on any devices and I checked my router to see if anyone else might be connected and it was only my devices.    There is no way I used 150 GB in one night from 7:00 - 10:00 pm.   Two days later, I've used another 80 GB and again, I've only checked email, local news, and Amazon.   I very seldom stream videos.    I called and they told me to change my firewall password, which I had already done.   They said maybe someone in the house is using more.  My wife is the only other person and she has not.  They said that maybe it was a virus.   I told them I was using an iPad only.  They were absolutely no help at all.  They said I had 3 courtesy months, so what was the problem.  I told them I did not want to use the courtesy months if the usage is not my fault.    We haven't changed any online practices, yet my data usage goes up 10-fold over the last 3 months.   Some thing is wrong and Comcast offers no help at all resolving the problem.   If it is not fixed soon, I'm going to change providers.  

Contributor

Your situation is very similar to mine.  The difference is that mine started to creep up in November instead of Sept.  Take a few minute and file a complaint at the FCC.  You may not receive an immediate resolution, but it will create a impact in the long run.............

Contributor

@Oldjetdriver wrote:

I too have an apple router........n a regular modem, (non wifi), would this do anything to lower my usage? Cause I figured I'd have to turn it on?

Bronze Problem Solver

This article is a must read if you think Comcast is accurately measuring data you use. 

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/12/comcast-admits-data-cap-meter-blunder-charges-wrong-customer...

New Poster

I agreed to stay with Comcast for two years.  They agreed not to raise my bill.  A year in I was hit with this data limit.  I did not know one party could unilaterally change the agreement or I would have decided to lower the payment because I rarely use either the cableTV service or the phone.  Also, how is it that if I watch The Nightly Show on cable TV I am not charged but if I watch it on Hulu it contributes to my 300 Gb usage?  This seems to me less of a problem of high usage causing problems as it is a scheme to pull back in the dwindling cable TV market.  I of course, will be moving on to another provider at the end of this year.

Contributor

@Leepierce wrote:

I agreed to stay with Comcast for two years.  They agreed not to raise my bill.  A year in I was hit with this data limit.  I did not know one party could unilaterally change the agreement or I would have decided to lower the payment because I rarely use either the cableTV service or the phone.  Also, how is it that if I watch The Nightly Show on cable TV I am not charged but if I watch it on Hulu it contributes to my 300 Gb usage?  This seems to me less of a problem of high usage causing problems as it is a scheme to pull back in the dwindling cable TV market.  I of course, will be moving on to another provider at the end of this year.

Your contract with Comcast says they CAN change their offerings or their pricing. Your sole remedy in that case is that you can void your contract.

That remedy is a hollow victory since there is nowhere else you can obtain high speed internet in most areas, like mine.

Contributor

I guess we are not alone.  The story is too familiar on this forum as well.

New Poster

12/2015 Is Data Usage overstated?

I am in my first month of date with comcast and can't believe that we used 300 GB in 2 1/2 weeks with 40 GB in a 36hr period.  I've found the following two articles that say I'm not alone.  I spend HOURS the last two days following all the steps from Comcast tech support.  Even wiping and restoring three computers, running Norton, as well as chaning the wifi password. 

Then I find these articles (from the past couple weeks). 

If I can't fix this can I get out of my Comcast contract?
http://news.yahoo.com/yet-another-problem-comcast-data-caps-customers-no-133150744.html

http://www.extremetech.com/internet/219638-customer-fcc-complaints-signal-huge-problems-with-comcast...

Contributor

Re: 12/2015 Is Data Usage overstated?

Oh and forget about asking if you live in the trial area data cap area(which I do in Memphis) about the Unlimited data option, you are directed to call a number, it turns out it is Comcast Security department, I listened to all the option and finally said all other questions, talking to the person I said I wanted to switch to the Unlimted option, he pulls up my account and says I see you have only used such and such amount and the most you have used in a month in 151. He mentioned that we still had the 3 month fee waves if we went over so I should use those before getting the Ultimated data option(come back and they would add it). I said so basically I can't get unless I show I'm going over, he told me he was trying to save me money. You can say you are willing to pay the $30 or $35 a month to have unlimited data but unless you have went over the $300, you can't get it.

New Poster

I would like to opt out of this test to see how much they can excise from my wallet. <br><br>This is <expletive deleted>. When you have three teens independently streaming Netflix non-stop, this is nothing more than added punishment for having teenagers. <br><br>Time to price out U-Verse....
Contributor

@JayOLR wrote:
I would like to opt out of this test to see how much they can excise from my wallet. <br><br>This is <expletive deleted>. When you have three teens independently streaming Netflix non-stop, this is nothing more than added punishment for having teenagers. <br><br>Time to price out U-Verse....

You think the teens are bad now, start making them buffer their netflix and YouTube.  That's what will happen with U-Verse DSL....

New Poster

DATA USAGE LIMIT IS A SCAM!!!!!!!

What a great SCAM Comcast/Xfinity is running.  I just moved my service from AT&T to Comcast back in October 2015.  We switched because Xfinity offers 75 mbps compared to our AT&T u-verse that we could only get about 15 mbps.  I went out a purchased a wonderful new router for a little more than $200.  In November our service was great, and we used about 700 gigs of Data.  We stream a bunch of movies and shows.  Now Comcast has but a limit of 300 gigs of Data usage.  My option is to pay an additional $35 per month to get unlimited gigs.  This is not how my service was when I switched.  THIS IS A SCAM!!!!! This company is "testing" this policy in my market.  I DON'T LIKE BEING SCAMMED!!!!!

I'm hearing this:

"Comcast is testing your market to see if we can EXTORT more money out of our customers.  If you don't voice your opinion or cancel your service, than maybe we can extort more markets and ROB other customers as well."

SO LONG COMCAST, NOW HEAR THIS:  I'm leaving Comcast, and I'm going to voice my opinion, I'm going to tell everyone I know.  I'll post this on Facebook, and try to warn other people of how Comcast ROBS people of money.  I'm not a fan of being extorted out of money!!!!!!!!

New Poster

I'm leaving xfinity soon, this is bull, I'd rather have dial up than have to deal with a stupid usage overcharge. I'm not paying my next Comcast bill, screw Comcast.
Contributor

Well great news for me... AT&T just came to my subdivision with their GigaPower service...buh bye Comcast!!

Hopefully AT&T, Google, and others will continue to roll out higher speed service and keep this monopoly in check. Comcast does not seem to think good will has anything to do with their bottom line. They are wrong! The way they have handled this datacap test has left a very poor taste in my mouth. So much so that if you gave me the choice between high speed with comcast and slower speed with someone else, I would choose the slower speed. Well that is no longer an issue!  I have AT&T GigaPower coming on Monday at the same price I pay Comcast (not even counting the couple of datacap overages I experience every month) for only 1/25th of the speed. Not only that but AT&T's datacap is reasonable at 1 TB compared to Comcasts stupid 350GB cap.

Frequent Visitor

We averaged ~410GB monthly usage on Extreme 105 broadband.  The caps went into effect.  November was 729GB.  December is already at 746GB.  

We have NO new devices operating, no new usage comparatively.  No unexpected devices are connected to our WiFi.  

This is total fraud.

New Poster

got my first overage alert as a random popup this weekend... i had no idea there was any kind of  limit... that can't be legal...  anyway, i go online and says my usage meter is not available so not only is there some limit i was never informed of, i have no way of seeing what my usage is...  tried to call and was on phone for 30 min with 2 people i could not understand and got zero answers

Contributor

Well folks....AT&T just left my house after installing their GigaPower fiber service. Ran speed tests on both wireless and ethernet and got 250Mbps on wireless (up and down) and I got 940Mbps on ethernet (up and down). Install was super fast and the techs were knowledgeable and nice. I will be contacting Comcast in the next few days to cancel...

AT&T was cheaper and their datacap is 1TB (much more reasonable than Comcast) and no install or equipment charges. Hopefully AT&T GigaPower will be coming to your neighborhood soon too!  Go to their website and check availability...

New Poster

Internet capping?

Why did Comcast cap the Internet usage for it's home users? I have called and asked the customer service (Comcast ) why. The answer I was gave. An I quote ( it was to improve the service and in that same phone call I was told that the average household Internet usage was 156 GB in my Area. Did he not realize we were getting 300 GB cap to me that not a increase of service that is a increase in money thing. Comcast you are very greedy for changing your services for the Internet I putting a cap on it and if you go over then you're penalized for WHAT MONEY. BY charging people if they go over is what the cell phone company started doing and now they're all starting to give unlimited Data now. This is why I think that they're doing it for besides money which I believe is the main reason, second is there are so many channels that are going to no this is why I think that they're doing it for besides money which I believe is the main reason, second is there are so many channels that are going to free web Watch or a channel app even HBO has a app that you can pay for to watch HBO. We also have all these new Internet ran boxes from Apple , Amazon , exc. and others you know them . Now this forces us to either pay them more money for their Internet use or Watch more of their cable. My question to all this is why did you really put a cap on your Internet usage an why doesn't Comcast allow unlimited Internet use if you also are paying for their cable service? I am now doing some research on other alternatives to the Internet and cable services I have found five Internet services that do not cap your usage and three of them provide cable. So I ask all of you Who also are with Comcast and if you do not see A legitimate reason for them putting a cap on the Internet use then I asked that you stand up and also find a new provider if not then please just donate your money to them for free.

Contributor

Congratulations!!! You are a winner!! You now have enabled the CEO and his co-horts to pay for their children's college funds, European trips and more!  We have more deals..er...whatever coming your way soon!~  Wait....Keep up the good work!

@derekcentrico wrote:

We averaged ~410GB monthly usage on Extreme 105 broadband.  The caps went into effect.  November was 729GB.  December is already at 746GB.  

We have NO new devices operating, no new usage comparatively.  No unexpected devices are connected to our WiFi.  

This is total fraud.

Contributor

Frequent Visitor

We just started the data cap here and surprisingly enough my first month in and I'm about to go over! Checked the last 3 months usage and barely even came close. Looking forward to seeing how I do in the next few months. We have no high speed alternative...

Frequent Visitor

Well for about a week now my data usage meter has shown the same thing. I am worried that i will get an overage charge because i went over but how do i monitor my usage if the usage meter never works. called comcast they had no answer either. Anyone else having this issue.

Regular Contributor

My data usage has skyrocketed in my 3rd month as a new Comcast customer. We use internet at the same rate all the time so why all of a sudden my data usage has increased by over 30%??

Contributor

You are not alone.  For the past 3 weeks, Comcast had suspended my data usage meter since I filed a complain with

1. Comcast

2. FCC

FCC actually escalated my complain to Comcast.  A Sr. technical engineer called me to find out where the discrepancy was/is.  It was an opportunity for me to lay all out at him.  He was quite nice and willing to listen to my case.  For now, my meter stop working, but I never stop monitoring usage from my end.  Who knows, Comcast may come back with bigger usage report!  I urge everyone file a FCC complain if you have data usage meter issue.  It is a way to let Comcast and the FCC know how bad this is.  Plus, you don't loose a dime by doing just that.

New Poster

How to stop Comcast limite usage rule

How can we stop / fight against Compast new usage limit rule?

There was not such a rule when I started the service. I don't agree with it.

FYI.

No you cannot fight

Stay under the limit

Change provider

If your answer is one of the above. Save it for yourself. Well I will change provider once Google is in my area.

Regular Contributor

@H8Datacaps wrote:

@vshoang wrote:

There is no way that you and your family are using that much actual GBs. I am now on the same boat...My hours of use are the same yet my recorded data usage is increasing for some strange reason. At this rate I will have no choice but to opt for the Unlimited plan and shell out the extra $30-35 a month

Bronze Problem Solver

@Rocky3rd wrote:

My data usage has skyrocketed in my 3rd month as a new Comcast customer. We use internet at the same rate all the time so why all of a sudden my data usage has increased by over 30%??

What's the matter Rocky you singing a different tune now ? I thought you said comcasts caps were more then fair and you have no problem with it. 

Regular Contributor

YES, that is what I said and what I honestly believed...But when I start getting home and hardly used any internet in days, and yet my data usage meters are off the charts, then I have to wonder for obvious reasons..
It is still just my wife and myself in the household, and we always use internet att he same times and for the same lenghts of time...So that raises an obvious red flag

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Streaming device and data usage

Can the specific streaming device affect the data usage? For example, would using a Roku for 2 hours of streaming have a different impact on total data usage than using a Smart TV or Smart Bluray player

Regular Contributor

I bet if I stop streaming altogether for one month I will still be getting an alert for going over 300GB

Frequent Visitor

If there is going to be a charge for data usage, then it is only fair that Comcast verify the accuracy of how they measure it.

After all, wasn't it Comcast's CEO who explained these additional charges as being created to establish fairness?  Perhaps he would do well to expand the fairness theme as it relates to verifying the accuracy of the company's data usage measurement.  Otherwise, the company could arbitrarily charge whatever they wanted. 

If Comcast wishes to bill as a utility, wouldn't it be fair to regulate them as one?

Given the potentially enormous scope of this problem, I wonder why there is nothing forthcoming from the FCC and FTC on this... aren't they here to protect the consumer?

Regular Contributor

@NickS wrote:

If there is going to be a charge for data usage, then it is only fair that Comcast verify the accuracy of how they measure it.

After all, wasn't it Comcast's CEO who explained these additional charges as being created to establish fairness?  Perhaps he would do well to expand the fairness theme as it relates to verifying the accuracy of the company's data usage measurement.  Otherwise, the company could arbitrarily charge whatever they wanted. 

If Comcast wishes to bill as a utility, wouldn't it be fair to regulate them as one?

Given the potentially enormous scope of this problem, I wonder why there is nothing forthcoming from the FCC and FTC on this... aren't they here to protect the consumer?

Comcast > FCC/FTC

Contributor

I had the EXTREME pleasure of being able to call Comcast and cancel my service TODAY now that my AT&T GigaPower fiber is installed. The service representative asked me why I was cancelling (being a customer since 2006) and I politely told him because I was very unhappy about their unrealistic data caps and how they rolled them out in "test" markets. I told him I felt that Comcast was using monopolistic strategies to keep people from leaving cable TV for their streaming competition (Netflix, Hulu, SlingTV, etc). I told him that up until this past week I did not have a choice but as of this past week I did!  It was so freeing to tell him the deal I got with AT&T was so much better than what Comcast gives me (Gigabit speed and a reasonable 1TB data cap) and a cheaper price. He tried to offer me something else (much slower) and told me about the unlimited data option, however, AT&T was still cheaper and I told him that Comcast has left such a bad taste in my mouth that even if they could beat the offer by AT&T, I wouldn't stay with Comcast....

By the way, I also filed a complaint with the FCC (I told the Comcast Rep. that as well) and the FCC said I would receive a call from Comcast (which never happened). I encourage all of you to file a complaint if for any other reason than to let Comcast know you are serious and to make your voice known in an "official" capacity.

Folks...I know many of you are still trapped by the monopoly known as Comcast but keep the faith...other options are rolling out...

Frequent Visitor

Congratulations...  Enjoy your new service!

In the future, students in the nation's business schools will study Comcast's epic fertilization of competition within markets they formerly dominated.

Impressively stunning management strategic failure. 

Frequent Visitor

I had 102GB of data usage the first three days of December.  At that time I exchanged the modem/router.  I also started using MAC filtering on my router and turned off the comcast wireless.  Since then I have used 40GB of data.  I suspect that there was something wrong with the previous comcast equipment.

New Poster

Comcast is naive to think that 300GB is enough for its users.  I have 2 Macs, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 Apple TVs and an internet-connected TV in my household.  I average over 600GB in usage a month.  This is the way the connected household is going.  Don't let them fool you to believe that 5% of their customer base is using this amount of data.  It's the same argument the mobile carriers are using about data to make MONEY off of you without an acutal reason to do so.  They are greedy and will lose my business very quickly if caps ever hit my state.

I pray that the FCC shuts down this attempt at fleecing the consumer.  I will be filing a complaint and I encourage you all to do the same.