Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Data caps? is this the late 90's!?!?!?!?!? Reprehensible! I am exploring options for alternative services, and will happily pay ETF's to get away from this company. It's only a matter of time before I turn in my router etc...

New Poster

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

I am very upset and will look for alternatives.  My contract was for unlimited access and now I am part of some trial that is only in some areas.   

Silver Problem Solver

@mjean02 wrote:

I am very upset and will look for alternatives.  My contract was for unlimited access and now I am part of some trial that is only in some areas.   

The fact is though that Comcast has never been "unlimited". In areas that don't have the trial caps, the old 250GB cap is merely suspended.

Contributor

Paraniod wrote:

The fact is though that Comcast has never been "unlimited". In areas that don't have the trial caps, the old 250GB cap is merely suspended.

While the Comcast contracts said there was a 250gb limit, their course of conduct for the 6 years I've faithfully paid them never included an overage fee. And my internet usage hasn't changed, I've always used more than that. Thus, we had unlimited internet until they decided recently to increase our contact price $360 a year to keep the same thing we have had for years. 

Silver Problem Solver

I understand what you are saying, still remains that in non-trial areas the cap is suspended, so you wouldn't have been charged for going over before the cap was imposed. Believe me, I'm no fan of the cap. I do hope they reconsider, but I doubt it.

New Poster

300gb limit aka thieves

I've had my service for 2 months almost reached my data limit last month and I did reach it this month I'm sorry comcast this is garbage it's like belonging to a gym that makes you pay extra if you work out more than once a week. 300gb is horrible all I did was play some video games and stream shows. Your worthless internet wouldn't stream hd half the time. I heard comcast is getting in the restaurant business you have to pay for your meal and then pay 10$ every 20mins you sit there eating. also x1 blows it always is freezing up while fast forwarding. Directv is the best with ATT internet I never reached a limit on usage I'm disappointed I switched.
Contributor

Re: 300gb limit aka thieves

Check this out .....when AT&T went from unlimited data on their cell phones, their established customers were not imposed caps......caps were for new customers, unless their established customers made changes to their plans....(this was round 2010 n my sister still has her unlimited date)! 

My family grew n I had to make changes n wound up sharing 3.0 GB's a month with my wife. Which included roll over data.......we've never gone over, since we're on wifi mostly everywhere now a days.....

Well a week ago I get a test from AT&T that their doubling our monthly data allowance to 6.0 GB's a month......as a thank you!?

Sweet.......proof that caps are just $ makers...

i recsll when I bought my firdt cell phone, my plan included like 15 minutes of talk time (circa 95').......n like $0.20 per minute extra! Lol

Contributor

@Paraniod wrote:

I understand what you are saying, still remains that in non-trial areas the cap is suspended, so you wouldn't have been charged for going over before the cap was imposed. Believe me, I'm no fan of the cap. I do hope they reconsider, but I doubt it.

I've never been charged an overage in 6 years, while they said there was a cap, they never charged for going over it nor throttled me like AT&T did with my unlimited data plan.  If you don't charge for overage in six years you don't have a capped system.  

They decided to unilaterally increase my contract price by $360 a year.  Which I hope the FCC gets involved, they are a monopoly in my area so they should not have the ability to unilaterally increase my contract price.  We have no choice nor anywhere else to get our high speed data.

Frequent Visitor

We're sure to have a lot more company here soon as the "trial' for data caps expands to more markets on December 1st... all in the spirit of fairness, of course.

Wonder if anyone at Comcast bothered to weigh the short term benefit of a little extra revenue against the long term destruction of brand loyalty.

Were "fairness" a genuine issue, wouldn't the caps be symmetrical with speed tiers? 

Its almost as if Comcast is striving to alienate their current user base...

Contributor

When you are a monopoly you can do what you want, unless your "governing body", in this case the FCC, decides to intervene. Comcast is within their express rights to modify their contract price, and we are expressly able to cancel the contract if they do this.

But...where else can we go.  Nobody else offers such high speed data. It's a monopoly.  Either pay the $360 or go back to DSL speeds and say goodbye to YouTube and every other streaming service.

Given the FCC's poor handling of AT&T throttling their unlimited data customers until they had to give it up (like me) I'm not holding out much hope, but I still filed a complaint with them.  Perhaps if the FCC gets enough complaints about the unilateral contract pricing change Comcast is doing they will take action this time.

Instructions on how to file your FCC complaint here:

http://stopthecap.com/2015/05/12/source-fcc-will-get-serious-about-data-caps-if-comcast-moves-to-imp...

New Poster

A data cap? Really?

I just moved and got service a month ago. When i signed up i was chatting with an agent and had them walk me through ordering. At no point was a data cap mentioned, i looked back in the fine print and on my bill and dont see any reference to a data cap.

Now i get a warning message on my internet that i am close to my data useage cap... Comcast cannot be serious... I have had 3 different cable providers here in Knoxville and despite paying near the same bill at each for similar internet speeds Comcast is the ONLY one with the nerve to want to charge me additional fees for unlimited internet.

I called tonight and was told the department i needed was closed on Sunday but i am frustrated that i am paying the same as other companies charge for the same speed but i am now capped at 300 GB. If your useage department cannot lift the cap off my account i will be switching to a new service provider but i wanted to leave this here as feedback and a potential warning to others.

So far i am not pleased with comcast and especially with me not being told i would have some sort of cap. I would have chosen a different provider at that point.

New Poster

Re: A data cap? Really?

right on, man!  I got the same pop up for the first time ever tonight (been an unhappy customer for 3+ years, but no other game in my town so I suffer silently with the numerous outages and lousy customer service) and never heard ever before that there was a cap.  Please oh please oh please get some competition in my neighborhood!!!!!

Regular Visitor

Exactly the same thing happened to me tonight! 

The website blurb said a usage plan went into effect back on May 12 of this year but I don't recall seeing anything about it.

More than upset. Do not like the fact that I have no other options for internet service out here.

I don't consider either DSL or satellite as anything other that a joke.

And the Comcast internet is problematic.

I regularly have to reset my cable modem several times a week.

I cannot find any way to collect data usage stats on my account.

I think my 3 new win10 installs may have been the cause but I can't drill into the data.

New Poster

Comcast,

Don't you realize how many customers you've alienated with this cap on data?  Schools all over the country have kids doing homework online, so most families with school age children are forced to buy additional data.  Your internet service is already expensive, but to add another $35 on top just increases their desire to find an alternative.  Once there is an alternative, then you will lose customers in droves.

New Poster

300 gb trial cap

So I just got an email announcing a cap in south Louisiana on internet usage. Is this for real? comcast is not very well liked in this area and the news of a cap isn't helping. The only reason Comcast's email address isn't flooded is that no one can find the email address... And I called to complain but the poor Indian guy was clueless and had no idea what I was talking about... But he seemed to nice to yell at.

Since it says trial does this mean that it may not go into effect? Can I opt out?
I thought I was in a contract, can Comcast actually change the terms like this?

Honestly I would pay twice the price in paying now for Google Internet... Just to know I'm paying the same amount as everyone else and I don't feel like I need a shower after I would write them a check.

Seriously Comcast... Simple pricing and stop trying to screw your customers.
Tags (1)
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: 300 gb trial cap

Contributor

@Jim721 wrote:

FCC mocks comcast over data caps.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/FCC-Boss-Mocks-Comcast-Broadband-Caps-at-Industry-Prom-135792

Jim721 thanks for that post. Some joke.... the joke is all of us who had their contract price unilaterally raised by $360 a year and we are stuck with no where to go with the monopoly.

At least the FCC is aware of it.  Folks please keep writing letters to the FCC...it can't hurt.

http://stopthecap.com/2015/05/12/source-fcc-will-get-serious-about-data-caps-if-comcast-moves-to-imp...

Contributor

Who.....in Florida has been charged overage fees...?

Contributor

@Dragrazor wrote:

Who.....in Florida has been charged overage fees...?

I have not been charged for overage since becoming a customer 6 years ago when they came out with the fast internet. 

But it that is going to change in January when they change my contract and start charging overage fees unless I pay $360 more a year. 

Frequent Visitor

Check and make sure you are not providing Windows 10 updates to other users.  Windows 10 defaults to you doing that. 

Regular Contributor

I hear Congress is moving again on net neutrality, and I'm hopeful they outlaw this nonsense. If not, Comcast won't be profiting from me purchasing streaming media from them as it is too expensive. I don't do it now and I won't in the future. If I can't use Netflix, etc. I guess I will have to go without. Won't be rewarding Comcast for its avaricious move.

Bronze Problem Solver

New Poster

I have been a loyal Comcast customer for over 10 years. My wife and I are avid gamers, we love surfing the web and downloading anything that interests us, and with her family 3k miles away we upload tons of pictures and videos of our first born. This data cap is just another way to get more money. It has done nothing but actually limit us in our lifestyle and has seriously made me question sticking with them.

I am an alpha tester for a few games and with that comes several patches a week. Some of the patches are 20GB and I have 2 systems to update. When they implemented this cap a few years back I hit it easily within a couple of weeks while working from home. I just hope they see the ere in their ways before making this mandatory and forcing it on everyone. At that point I will have no other option but to switch providers.

Contributor

SetJa do you have a choice in your area for high speed internet?  If so, you're lucky.  I, like most people, live in an area that is a high speed internet monopoly owned by Comcast.

Please fill out the FCC form, it's the only way I can see to prevent this unilateral contract change that Comcast is forcing on its loyal customers.  

Contributor

Comcast says if they are allowed by the FCC to purchase Time Warner they will do away with the data caps they never had but just started in my area two months ago.  

How's about doing away with data caps now????

https://charterresourcecenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/The-Charter-Story.pdf

"New Charter will advance Charter’s pro-customer and pro-broadband model and extend it to TWC’s and BHN’s customers, who will enjoy:

• Straightforward, nationally uniform pricing with no data caps, no usage based billing, no modem fees and no early termination fees."
Bronze Problem Solver

Contributor

All,

If your router is capable then I suggest  that you enable your router traffic meter to monitor the amount of data that you use.  This will help you to compare the usage against Comcast Data Usage Meter.

Without having your own traffic meter, Comcast can report inaccurate usage due to 1. programing change, 2. data collection process change, 3. wrong data manipulation etc..,

This is evidence in the TN area.  Comcast made a reporting change in the Data Usage Meter, and raised the amount of usage jump from 61GB monthly to 347GB monthly in my case.  How do I know the reporting change?  

If you do a 3 months data usage comparison on Comcast website then you will find out September, and October reported in two different categories.  But, there is only ONE category starting in November.

Like many of you already experience.  According to Comcast, my data usage jumped from 44GB in september, 61GB in October, 347GB in November and 130GB in the second week of December.  I even shut the cable modem off at night, and Comcast still shown there were 6GB to 10GB.  I spent a lot of time to research and monitoring my network usage base on the diagram provided by NetForecast aka Independent Auditor for Comcast.  I found out that Comcast reported 2 times the total data of my network usage.

I reported this case to their Quality & security Team yesterday, and they are currently research my case.  In the meantime, I continue to monitor and gather all of the evidence and proof to prepare for the next step.  Please feel free to contact me you experience similar issue, thanks.

Vincent & Vincent Group 

Bronze Problem Solver

Many people have already done this and comcast dont care.They go by what there meter says peroid and could care less about any monitoring or tracking the customer has done with routers or third party data counters. Expect your call and there research to yield you nothing. 

Contributor

VSChang thank you for the post.  What modem are you using to record traffic?  I don't think my apple router will do that.  

Contributor

Not familiar with Apple Router.  I have Netgear JNR3210

Contributor

They don't care, but we do care.  In this country, we can take them to court.  I am sure there are many law firms out there to take on your case if you have enough proof or evidence of wrong doing.

Bronze Problem Solver

You can NOT take comcast to court one on one. You agreed to this the moment you used there service your only options are arbitration or class action. Not sticking up for comcast here just pointing out the facts. 

Contributor

You are right!  All options are open.  Not sure if it applies to Fraudulence though

Contributor

Has anyone in Miami dade county (Florida), been charged data cap overage fees....yet?

New Poster

My data consumption is thru the roof

I have been observing that the data used shown on my account and  my data consumption are very different.

This month it has reached its limit. Only in 8 days, my account shows that I have consumed 101 GB data out of my 300 GB.

This is really frustrating and pathetic that there is no number given on site to speak and there is no way to measure what the hack is going on with my data.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

Please let me know if any other service provider in Collierville, TN. I tried with Time Warner and AT&T but no luck.

Thanks, 

Frequent Visitor

@vshoang wrote:

All,

If your router is capable then I suggest  that you enable your router traffic meter to monitor the amount of data that you use.  This will help you to compare the usage against Comcast Data Usage Meter.

Without having your own traffic meter, Comcast can report inaccurate usage due to 1. programing change, 2. data collection process change, 3. wrong data manipulation etc..,

This is evidence in the TN area.  Comcast made a reporting change in the Data Usage Meter, and raised the amount of usage jump from 61GB monthly to 347GB monthly in my case.  How do I know the reporting change?  

If you do a 3 months data usage comparison on Comcast website then you will find out September, and October reported in two different categories.  But, there is only ONE category starting in November.

Like many of you already experience.  According to Comcast, my data usage jumped from 44GB in september, 61GB in October, 347GB in November and 130GB in the second week of December.  I even shut the cable modem off at night, and Comcast still shown there were 6GB to 10GB.  I spent a lot of time to research and monitoring my network usage base on the diagram provided by NetForecast aka Independent Auditor for Comcast.  I found out that Comcast reported 2 times the total data of my network usage.

I reported this case to their Quality & security Team yesterday, and they are currently research my case.  In the meantime, I continue to monitor and gather all of the evidence and proof to prepare for the next step.  Please feel free to contact me you experience similar issue, thanks.

Vincent & Vincent Group 

I have a similiar problem.  Low usage of 30 to 50GB through September then 295GB in October while I was out of town the first two weeks, 350GB in November while out of town the last 10 days and 102GB the first three days of December.  Did exchange modems after that and usage has dropped to previous low levels. 

Tom

Contributor

Tom you are lucky you got a working unit.

I had to go to Comcast THREE times today to get a working cable box.  All three replacements were old junk that somebody had turned in and they slapped saran wrap on and gave out to other customers.  The first two didn't work (two different faults) finally the dented and old box they gave me for the third try did work.

Sorry for the diversion but add that to my complaint list about Comcast, first raise my contract price then, when I need service I get old junk that they didn't obviously test before giving to me.

I pay them $276 a month for this lousy service and we very seldom watch TV anymore.  I need to rethink this monthly bill when their increase to my contact triggers the contract exit clause.

Bronze Problem Solver

OOch your paying more for internet and tv then i do for gas, electric and phone service combined.  

Contributor

Hi Tom,

Do you mind sharing the type of modem that you have and had.  My modem is Motorola 6121, and the issue is quite interesting because the Data Usage Meter still reported 6GB to 10GB after I power it off at night.  if it is a modem then I am happy to give it a try.  I thank you for sharing the experience with us.  Btw, the data usage meter has not been refreshed since this morning.  I wonder how much they are going to deduct from my cap once it refresh later Smiley Happy

New Poster

Re: My data consumption is thru the roof

I am having the same issue.  We exceed it every month, and do not have a good way to know,manage or control this. There should be options for small vs. large households. We have gone over 30 to 60 dollars worth for the past several months.  there are four connected individuals in the home and with Roku and Netflicks we are out lots of money every month.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I have a modem from Comcast - Make & Model: Arris Interactive, L.L.C. TG862G  Phone and internet with four GB ports and wireless.  I have wireless turned off and only wired connection is to TP-Link GB wireless router.  Settings on router are as secure as I can mkes them. 

Tom

@vshoang wrote:

Hi Tom,

Do you mind sharing the type of modem that you have and had.  My modem is Motorola 6121, and the issue is quite interesting because the Data Usage Meter still reported 6GB to 10GB after I power it off at night.  if it is a modem then I am happy to give it a try.  I thank you for sharing the experience with us.  Btw, the data usage meter has not been refreshed since this morning.  I wonder how much they are going to deduct from my cap once it refresh later Smiley Happy

New Poster

Same here. Got the text saying we've used 151GB in 7 days (got notification early this morning) but we've watched less Netflix than normal this month. Now when I try to check data usage it says "Pending Update".

Contributor

Seems like Sling TV CEO agrees with what I have been saying all along....that Comcast data caps are how they are choking out their cable tv competition (Netflix, Hulu, Sling TV, etc). Comcast is such a monopoly!!!  I truly can't wait until Google expands into more markets. Here is the article: http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/sling-tv-ceo-blasts-comcast-data-caps/

Contributor

I got slap with similar number of GB usage, and I don't even watch netflix nor anything else.  If you have Traffic Meter on your router then turn it on.  You will discover that Comcast 2 times of your total usage from your router.  This lead me to believe that some part of their meter system is resending or retransmitting records.

Contributor

I look forward to that call! Although it won't do much as far as Comcast is concerned, it will be good therapy for me Smiley Wink

Bronze Problem Solver
Bronze Problem Solver

Contributor

Woohoo! The data meter is finally working for me after 3 months!!! Also my courtesy overages have reset. You have three monthly courtesy overages available. "According to Comcast, about 8% of its customers use more than 300 gigabytes per month." I feel so specialSmiley Happy
Contributor

My Comcast Data Usage Meter has been functioning properly in the last 2 days.  Basically, it is closely matched my total daily Traffic Meter from the router.  I guess the Quality and Security Team actually doing works upon receiving my report.  Let's see if this is going to hold up in the days, weeks and months ahead. 

Contributor

I just checked the Usage Meter website (I usually use the desktop app), and it says I have 600GB this month. Does anyone else notice this? Or is it only 600GB because it's the end of the year and I get my courtesy overages reset next month?