Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Frequent Visitor

I am willing to pay your 35 dollar ransom for unlimited data, I don't need TV service, give me an option, retentions unhelpful

I currently have TV and internet 75 Mbps for 69.99.  I don't care if that internet drops to 50 Mbps as we don't notice the difference from before.  We don't even WANT the TV but have it because they gave us a better deal last time we complained.  We do WANT the unlimited data that you are holding behind a 35 dollar ransom fee.  So we want internet + unlimited data and no TV, but to do this retentions was threatening to make us pay over a hundred dollars no matter what by upping our internet to 80 bucks alone for 25 Mbps which is so very clearly a scam based on the current "deal" I have.  I know you all can do better, you always find a way after we complain enough.  Someone in customer service here needs to get back to me and figure out what we can do here.  You want to keep me on as your cable TV subscriber?  Fine, give me a deal that works with the unlimited data for a similar amount too then.  Figure something out or I'm cancelling and going with slower DSL service.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data Usage Guide

So full of it you money grubbers.  Data caps, not usage plans, just data caps.  Doesn't matter if we can pay for going over, they're data caps.

New Poster

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Thats dumb why have Comcast on demand then.

New Poster

I don't know how that is possible. I have 3 kids and myself. My oldest does his schooling online and is a gamer. My daughter watches movies sometimes and occasionally surfs the web my youngest is always using the on demand watching tv shows while I surf the web a lot, and we are going to go way over this 300GB limit. For now the area I am in has no cap but I like many others will leave comcast after 20 years as a loyal customer the day I have to pay more.

New Poster

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

I have been an uninterrupted Comcast customer for 20 years. While I sit and watch them offer specials to new customers while loyal customers like myself get no breaks at all. I have 3 kids who all have a terminal genetic disease that restricts them from being able to do a lot of activities so they stream movies and game oh and my oldest does his schooling online. When Comcast starts this data limit in my town the first time I hit my data limit it will be my last day as a Comcast customer. Here Comcast charges me for 75mbps. While most of the time I am only running around 10mbps and it occasionally goes up to 28mbps. The technician says our area will not carry anywhere near those speeds that I am paying for but I get no break in price. When my cable was out for 4 days they said it would be reflected on my next bill and all they did was send me coupons for 2 free movie downloads. Some one else will come along and Comcast won't be able to continue with this nonsense I just hope when they do Comcast gets the same lack of loyalty it has shown its customers over the years. It is senseless decisions like this that in a few short years can put a very successful business like Comcast on its knees. I hope the share holders get smart and reign in that CEO of theirs.

Contributor

This is a $360 a year price increase.  Nothing more, nothing less.  We cannot control our usage as they don't give us the tools to see what is using data.  How much is the new alarm system and camera I'm paying $30/month for using?

The contract dictates recourse.  I've been a customer for 6+ years paying for the top bundled services, $230+ a month and never an internet overage.  I read my contract (I recently signed up for 2 years with the Comcast alarm) and it stated if Comcast changes the services or pricing in my contract, I have the right to cancel the contract.

Great.  So cancel my contract and go back to dial up.  With this monopoly we have no choice, either pay or go back to dial up (except I no longer have a analog line, that's switched to Xfinity as well) or very expensive cellular data.  

The FCC is supposed to protect consumers who are subject to a monopoly like we are.  After AT&T kicked all the unlimited data customers off (including me) by throttling, the FCC finally stepped in and fined them and the miniscule number of unlmited data customers left get to have their data unthrottled.  Great, too little, too late, as 99% of the unlimited customers changed plans to get rid of the throttled "unlimited" data.

I hope with enough public outcry we can either get the FCC to step up sooner and actually do something (he says peering through his rose colored glasses), or to convince Comcast, already one of the most hated companies, to repent.  Fat chance on either I'm afraid.  But like recent hunger strikes and other social unrest, sometimes public outcry can make a difference so let's keep posing our discontent with this new policy.

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Problem Solver

Re: I am willing to pay your 35 dollar ransom for unlimited data, I don't need TV service, give m...

Morrighan99,

To enroll in the Unlimited Data Option, you can call us at 1-877-807-6581. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to reach back out to us.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

"This is a $360 a year price increase.  Nothing more, nothing less."

Here in Atlanta, removing the data cap costs $420 a year!  How's that for "fairness'?

I don't think anyone would have a problem with data caps providing they were set rationally and priced appropriately... say 300Gb/mo for the lowest speed tier of service progressing up to 2Tb/mo for the 105, 150 and 250mbs levels.  This way the $10 per 50Gb and $30-$35 for unlimited might be more palatable with far less customer fury.

Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Fact: ATT did not have a data cap yet the Comcast sleaze balls tried to convince me they did. The bill was a fixed predictable amount. <br>Fact: Comcast sleaze balls like to tell you that the majority of customers are happy and don't use their limit. What they don't care about but should is they have an ever spreading rep as the worst ISP and they don't care. They don't care about customer feedback, loyalty none of that except maximizing profits at any cost. Cannot wait to move out of this property monopolized by these greedy idiots.
New Poster

Utility companies aren't allowed to charge you for utilities you don't use and the cab driver can't charge me mileage I didn't use. Comcast can't have it both ways. Either they charge a flat rate for everyone, or they charge data cap overage fees and start refunding people who aren't hitting that ceiling.

New Poster

The $360-$420 yearly increase for 'unlimited data' is the equivalence of extortion. Comcast is gradually expanding the program over smaller markets that Comcast has a monopoly over knowing full well there is no reasonable alternative. The facts are already out in the wild this has nothing to do with network congestion, but about limiting streaming usage of popular products like Netflix that are creating a generation of cord-cutters. Comcast will pay with their backwards thinking if they ever try expanding their ways in a large market like New York or Boston. We have choices here and we will drop your service at our earliest convenience. Fair warning. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast dont care if there is other providers in one area or the other. They are rolling caps out slowly to keep the yelping to a minimum instead of all at once.You can bet the whole comcast foot print will have caps one city state at a time. This is a fact we can only hope the FCC steps in and does something but that dont seem likely because having data caps i perfectly legal and comcast knows it.   

Frequent Visitor

The present Comcast CEO/management is clearly focused upon near term earnings per share at all costs, so suicidal marketing strategies are the rule of the day.

When the market begins to reject this strategy in ever increasing numbers there will be a new CEO/management whose focus will suddenly shift to brand loyalty and customer retention.

Comcast's board of directors and investors would be wise to shine a light on the road ahead and reconsider the company's current humpty-dumpty marketing strategy.

All the king's horses and all the king's men...

Frequent Visitor

The FCC responded that they were mere facilitators between consumers and ISP ( read into this that there are lobbyists paying off the FCC). They are yet another purchased government entity. Sad but true.
Frequent Visitor

The present Comcast CEO/management is clearly focused upon near term earnings per share at all costs, so suicidal marketing strategies are the rule of the day.

When the market begins to reject this strategy in ever increasing numbers there will be a new CEO/management whose focus will suddenly shift to brand loyalty and customer retention.

As soon as new, fair and better providers are available their market share will be non-existent. I'm also convinced there is collusion between ATT and Comcast to prevent competition. My property owner claims they have attempted to get ATT interested in bidding on their property portfolio but have generated zero interest. Hmmm.... Truth!
Frequent Visitor

Monopoly and collusion...I'm smelling federal level criminal activity and this is low on the priority scale
Contributor

It's Comcast's right to change their pricing and offering when they are offering a new contract, but it's not fair nor right for them to change the terms of the contract I just recently signed with them.  My only option is to cancel the contract, and there is no other high speed data offering in my area so I'm locked into their monopoly and they are unilaterally changing my contract and I have no realistic recourse.

That's just abuse of the concept of a contract.  They locked me into 2 years, they should be locked into the 2 years themselves.  If I try to change my contracted amount I pay them every month they charge me the full value of the contract.  They don't offer us the same courtesy, they just change the price, offer the same service we've always had, we have to live with it.

Contributor

True I  went  ahead an ordered the $35/mo more for unlimited Internet. When I try to watch Showtime, live, it constantly freezes. I got better viewing when I was on their 300 GB a mo. plan

New Poster

3 Months ago I upgraded my Comcast internet from 50mbps to 105mbps. During the upgrade I asked the representative if there were any data caps since with the higher speed I knew my data use would go up. I was told there was NO data cap. On September 2015 I was informed by email and paper mail that a 300gb data cap would begin to be enforced. This made me very angry because this was not told to me prior to the upgrade nor had I ever been informed of such policy in the past. This is wrong to take advantage of customers especially when they are offering such high data speeds. I have 6 people using my connection in my home and I cannot control usage. I am on a very tight budget and cannot afford to pay more. Comcast is slowly enforcing this city by city behind the backs of customers that are not aware of this eventually being enforced in their city soon. They are purposely not allowing a sufficient amount of data to take advantage of their customers. They are also are using manipulative methods by offering 3 months per year where I can go over the data cap at no charge and then begin charging on the 4th month in the attempt to quiet complaints and concerns knowing very well that they will end up paying one way or another and accepting there data cap. Another deceitful and manipulative act from Comcast was giving free data speed increases knowing very well that this would increase data use causing customers to reach the caps more frequently. Keep in mind that all of the trial areas that comcast has enforced the data caps are cities that have no addition competition for extreme data speeds, go figure. This needs to be addressed as soon as possible. I have asking the FTC, FCC and BBB to get involved and put a stop to this action that obviously only benefits Comcast and is taking advantage of their customer in deceitful methods. PEOPLE YOU NEED TO VOICE YOUR CONCERNS BY FLOODING ALL OF THEM WITH COMPLAINTS!

Regular Visitor

it's disgusting the charges Comcast gets away with!!.. I hate them too!!.. cannot believe the time and money this monopoly has stolen from NJ customers!!!.. I hate this company!! I hate the disgusting greed!!!
Contributor

Anyone know when this trial period ends?

Frequent Visitor

In Atlanta the "test" lasted two and a half years, give or take. I don't know what caused them to eventually provide an unlimited data option for an additional $35 per month, but perhaps it was due to significant pressure from the FTC and FCC due to complaints from this area. Who knows? Either way it's costing me an ADDITIONAL $420 per year for this option. Highway robbery!

I suspect they try to drop data caps on their customers one geographic area at a time to keep the chatter to the FCC and the FTC down, and to keep the caps there long enough that the customers eventually are begging to pay more just to have unlimited internet again.

Also, The FCC and FTC didn't seem to care that Comcast had a monopoly in my area in the northern suburbs of Atlanta. I can promise Comcast and everyone else that reads this that as soon as there is a reasonable alternative to Comcast I will drop them in a second. I hope they go down the tubes with the way they've treated their customers. I hope you will all drop this greedy money grubbing company as well. Vote with your wallet!
New Poster

Comcast Blast Internet Data Cap

The DataCap of 300GB from xfinity is ridiculous and misuse of their monopoly in the broward country. How can you put such a limit on the internet connection for which we pay you such a huge sum of money.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

The trial won't end, it is just a way for comcast to roll this out without being to obvious. ATL has been in the "trial" since 2013

Contributor

I got cc'd on a letter from Comcast to the FCC whereby they say Comcast is within their rights to have a metered data plan.

Well sure they are, but they completely ignored my point, which is they are UNILATERALLY CHANGING MY CONTRACT PRICE.  I pointed out in my rebuttal to the FCC that it is their mission to promote competition, and allowing a monopoly to unilaterally change contracted pricing is a direct contravention of their stated mission.

I also pointed out that their response to AT&T throttling unlimited cellular data customers was too little and way too late - by the time they did anything every customer had already quit the unlimited plan as the data speeds were way too slow.  Please don't make the same mistake twice, act on this now.

It would be good if everyone in this thread filed a FCC complaint, it forces Comcast to file their form letter and perhaps someone at the FCC will take notice.  Go here to do so.

http://stopthecap.com/2015/05/12/source-fcc-will-get-serious-about-data-caps-if-comcast-moves-to-imp...

Regular Visitor

The second it comes to my area either I drop TV to cover the costs of the extra $30 for unlimited broadband or move to Uverse but I am spoiled by the Extreme 105 I get now and do not want less speed.

Bronze Problem Solver

@bruce168681 wrote:

The second it comes to my area either I drop TV to cover the costs of the extra $30 for unlimited broadband or move to Uverse but I am spoiled by the Extreme 105 I get now and do not want less speed.

Keep in mind if you drop tv and have stand alone internet your bill for internet will raise by 15.00 a month. So if you keep stand alone internet and order the unlimited for 35.00 extra a month you just added 50.00 to your bill for the same internet service. 

Problem Solver

Comcast is rolling out a new internet tier called XI Gigabit Pro. It will be 2Gbps down and up. It will be $300/month with an installation fee of $500 and an activation fee of $500. They also say that "An XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plan may apply." You would think that customers that would pay that kind of money would have no data cap. I could see some customers htting the cap in a few days.

Frequent Visitor

If you're lucky enough to be in an area that allows you to drop TV service and still keep Extreme 105. Extreme 105 is locked behind a Triple Play pay wall in my area (which is the only reason why I have it). The fastest tier available in my area when you try to go stand alone is Blast (75Mbps).

New Poster

Recent 300GB limit. What alternatives?

New in this forum, tried to post of this post but was unable to.

Xfinity / Comcast is the only cable provider in South Florida, we get the service via Comcast Cable, the only other internet provider available is AT&T and is relatively very slow. 

I received the letter myself, and shortly after a text on my cell advising me that my data has reached its limits. When I called customer service I was told that this was a change in policy and that after January I will be charged for data overage above 300gb. I asked if I could cancel my subscription and was told that I was under contract for two years. 

SO.......... this is the way I see things.            

XFinity out of the blues decided to change the contract and will begin charging me more on a monthly service, when this happens I will call an attorney and sue Xfinity for breach of contract, since I was enjoying UNLIMITED DATA SINCE THE BEGINING OF THE CONTRACT.

I also place a complaint in the FCC stating the same, XFinity has breached the contract it has with me.

I encourage all users affected by this "Policy change" to do the same, 1st file a complaint with FCC, then "AFTER THE FIRST DATA OVERAGE CHARGE" contact an attorney and SUE XFINITY for breach of contract.

Ps. Make sure your legal sue includes but is not limited to, time loss, attorney and any other fees / charge encountered.

Xfinity is a monopoly especially here in South Florida where there is no other cable provider, AT&T offers Internet but- 1. Is not Cable, 2 . Speed is limited-, so we can’t just not buy their service, or move to a competitor.

This will make them think twice before IMPOSING on its clients a “NEW POLICY” that will only benefit their stock holders.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Recent 300GB limit. What alternatives?

When you signed up with comcast and used there service you automatically agreeded you can not one on one sue them for any reason you must settle your issue through arbitration. Basically customers can NOT sue comcast in a court of law. Crazy but true... Your only hope would be a class action law suit. 

Silver Problem Solver

@MisterEd51 wrote:

Comcast is rolling out a new internet tier called XI Gigabit Pro. It will be 2Gbps down and up. It will be $300/month with an installation fee of $500 and an activation fee of $500. They also say that "An XFINITY Internet Data Usage Plan may apply." You would think that customers that would pay that kind of money would have no data cap. I could see some customers htting the cap in a few days.

Having read several posts about the new Gigabit Pro service. I can assure you that there is no cap on that service right now. The wording "An Xfinity Internet Data Usage Plan may apply" is still there, but I would think that would be a mistake. Or perhaps left on there to cover themselves should one apply in the future. Which is to me pretty unthinkable, considering the price paid.

New Poster

Internet Metering

I signed up for Xfinity unlimited internet service 8 months ago for streaming, I cut the cable and $130 monthly from my bill.  

Now, Comcast wants to charge me $360 extra per year for the same service I have now.  Comcast is losing approx 20,000 cable TV subscribers per quarter, they need to make up the loss revenue by metering. Unfortunately, they are the only internet provider in the Miami Lakes area today. Google fiber is not availble yet, does anyone have any ideas.. AT&T U-Verse not available either..

New Poster

Re: Excessive Data Usage

I recently was out of town (no internet usage) for almost 30 days crossing two months.  Three days after coming back into town I received a 90% of allocation (300G usage notification.  I was having download speed issues with my 105 MBPS plan and scheduled a service appointment.  I insisted that the comcast provided and installed high speed modem/router be replaced to mitigate / isolate the problem.  Usage had jumped from roughly 4-5GB per day average over the last few months to over 50GB per day with no changes to my network, installed devices (except for the high speed modem sent by Comcast) or usage and virtually no streaming downloads. 

The problem DOES NOT appear to be resolved with the new modem.  Usage is still in excess of 25 GB per day with no change in usage.  Individual devices (computers, laptops, tablet, and phones) are showing usage at a fraction of what is being accounted for by Comcast!

Any recommendations on how to define what is happening?  My end or comcast?  Which device?  Have recently added Windows 10 to two computers?  All devices are protected by Norton.

Regular Visitor

Iwant to thank you and everybody else for replying to my question but whats happening to me and i just relized this is i have a high school and an office bldg right by my house so i am noy sure but mon through fri my internet sucks come the weekend and netflix and my computers work alright so its no coincidence that those 5 days im getting poor wi fi and can someone tell what a wi fi  gateway charge of 10 dollars a month is ill be calling to find out and why im getting 2nd rate connectivity something not right here thanks for anyone ones input on this subject and if i start getting charged this data cap it's bye bye comcast it's touch and go right now the only reason i havent left is i want to make sure the SCHOOL AND OFFICE BUILDING HAVE COMCAST!

Regular Contributor

Re: Internet Metering

ATT U-verse only offers 3 MGBs of internet speed

Regular Contributor

Quick update

It's been just over a month for me on Comcast Blast! Internet Plan.

Everything has been working wonderfully. I get 88 MGBs download speed on average. Internet never goes down. We watch Netflix and other streaming programs flawlessly, laptop computers and mobile devices all wireless connected without a glitch.

The data cap might be a concern in the future, so far we managed to end up the month with about 267GB of usage. On the days that I dont work I notice a net increase in data usage for obvious reasons, but not a concern yet.

We both a brand new Home Theater projector and we get to enjoy streaming of a 120" screen, with 5.1 Dolby receiver/speakers that will make you never miss going to the movie theater.

I hear many customers complain about Comcast gettimng greedy and abusing their territorial monopoly, and I am willing to help. If tehre is a petition we can sign or anything else I can do to help less fortunate customers on a tight budget and with large families, please let me know

New Poster

As a family on the XFinity Extreme plan , I find the MaxData (it's not a cap! lmao)  & means of reporting usage over-use (It's not a data cap! ) nostalgic and quaint; like an old quilt that you have that your Grandma made way back when. It's so 1990's retro! I have seen the hard-hats and line-digging occuring on the infrastructure that is presently still monopolized by our beloved Comcast and have an anticipatory,excitedly tingly feeling about the last two words I depart with on this cold , November morning; GoogleFiber

Contributor

Comcast isn't trying to hide the fact they are now going to usage billing from the FCC, they point out the FCC approves this billing plan.  They neglect to point out to the FCC that our contracts have never had usage fees and now they are changing the contracts and applying usage fees.  Whether the FCC follows up on this unilateral conract change remains to be seen.  

Regular Visitor

Re: Quick update

thanks i'm like you brand new home i built, 50 inch 4k 3d tv but like i said mon through fri my speeds go down and wifi connection gets lost i don't have caps yet but ill also sign

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

Contributor

Question .......am under the impression that Comcast will pardon the first 4 times you go over their 300GB cap....I.e. you won't be charged.....

However, I read somewhere on this forum, someone say that they'll pardon you on 4 occasions........yearly! 

Unless I ünderstood incorrectly , Every year the customer will be aloud to go over 4 times?

Which way is it?

Btw, can someone school me on the way to reply to specific post.....directly?

Iv'e seen some do it, where the post their replying to is in quotes....

Thanks in advance 

Problem Solver

@Dragrazor wrote:

Question .......am under the impression that Comcast will pardon the first 4 times you go over their 300GB cap....I.e. you won't be charged.....

However, I read somewhere on this forum, someone say that they'll pardon you on 4 occasions........yearly! 

Unless I ünderstood incorrectly , Every year the customer will be aloud to go over 4 times?

Which way is it?

Btw, can someone school me on the way to reply to specific post.....directly?

Iv'e seen some do it, where the post their replying to is in quotes....

Thanks in advance 

The first information I saw was for overages in a 12 month period. I don't see it worded that way any more so I assume that once you have used up your courtesy overage months you will not get any more ever. BTW, you are only given 3 overages without penality. Starting with the 4th time you will be charged $10 per 50GB over the cap.

From the data usage plan Q&A
"In order for our customers to get accustomed to the new data usage plan, we are implementing a three-month courtesy program. That means you will only be subject to overage charges if you exceed the data usage plan amount for a fourth time."

Note to insert quoted message

1. click on Reply button next to message

2. when in text edit box click on Quote button

Diamond Problem Solver

@Rocky3rd wrote:

Rocky continues to post wrong info, U-Verse can be up to 45 down in many locations.

Contributor

@MisterEd51 wrote:

@Dragrazor wrote:

Question .......am under the impression that Comcast 

The first information I saw was for overages in a 12 month period. I don't see it worded that way any more so I assume that once you have used up your courtesy overage months you will not get any more ever. BTW, you are only given 3 overages without penality. Starting with the 4th time you will be charged $10 per 50GB over the cap.

From the data usage plan Q&A
"In order for our customers to get accustomed to the new data usage plan, we are implementing a three-month courtesy program. That means you will only be subject to overage charges if you exceed the data usage plan amount for a fourth time."

Note to insert quoted message

1. click on Reply button next to message

2. when in text edit box click on Quote button

Mr, thank you, I  guess someone was mistaken when they posted that other info.

N thanks for the instructions on the quotes.......now I can respond more efficiently n directly 

Expert

@Rocky3rd wrote:

What's an "MGB" ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!