Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Frequent Visitor

Has Comcast created a "digital divide" with data cap "haves" and "have nots"?

If data plans are a "test" of "fair use", how are the disparities of its application explained as fair?

- differents cap sizes for different markets?

- different pricing for unlimited use?

- caps are a possible breach of existing service agreements?

- entering the third year of the "test"?

- most service areas have no cap at all?

"The markets that are currently testing usage plans are:

Nashville, Tennessee market: 300 GB per month and additional gigabytes in increments/blocks ( e.g., $10.00 per 50 GB ). 

Tucson, Arizona market: Economy Plus through Performance tiers receive 300 GB. Those customers subscribed to the Blast! Internet tier receive 350 GB; Extreme 50 customers receive 450 GB; Extreme 105 customers receive 600 GB. Additional gigabytes in increments/blocks of 50 GB for $10.00 each in the event the customer exceeds their included data amount. 

Huntsville and Mobile, Alabama; Atlanta, Augusta and Savannah, Georgia; Central Kentucky; Maine; Jackson, Mississippi; Knoxville and Memphis, Tennessee and Charleston, South Carolina: 300 GB per month and additional gigabytes in increments/blocks ( e.g., $10.00 per 50 GB ) Economy Plus customers have the option of enrolling in the Flexible-Data plan.

Fresno, California, Economy Plus customers also have the option of enrolling in the Flexible-Data plan.

- If you live outside of these markets you ARE NOT currently subject to a data plan."

Contributor

Re: Cap limits in Tucson

NiicS, I say neigh their goes!

Regular Visitor

Data caps

I find it very unusual for Comcast to have a trial period for data caps in Augusta Georgia for over 2 years now. Aren't trial period's usually a few months and not years.
Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

I have used Comcast for years. This company thinks it can do what it likes and the "paying" consumer will have to like it. We pay for the deadbeats that get everything free without working for it. If they think I'm going to pay them one cent for going over the 300GB limit, let it be heard, I will drop them so fast their heads will spin. GO AHEAD, MAKE MY DAY!

Frequent Visitor

I have personally confirmed that comcast counts local traffic towards your data usage. Some examples of local traffic include, cameras connected through your router and streamed through your pc via a local channel(confirmed), or gaming, or file sharing via lan connection (unconfirmed). 

I tested it today.

Contributor

Thy shouldn't charge data fees for using their own xfinity go app. That is what most shocks me.

Regular Visitor

Don't bother calling customer service. They are rude. They don't give a dam about their customers. 

They know they got you. There is no other option for high speed Internet. RIGHT NOW. The only way to get a response is to file a complaint with the BBB and also with the FCC. You will get a manager to call you up and feed you lies but  you get to complain. What really gets me is Comcast called about a month before the Data cap trial started and sold me on upgrading to Blast and also got me on OH you pay a little more and watch tv from any device you have. Great way to bait the customer then STAB THEM IN THE BACK!!!!!!!!! What a disgusting company comcast has become 

Frequent Visitor

if your in a contract they got you.  They pay off the government who allows them to make changes to your contract in the middle of it so there is no recourse except to scream loudly on facebook what a corrupt and evil company they are.  So please do.  I will write "Darth Vader Contract" and watch how many people agree with this company who changes the terms in the middle of the contract and covers themselves becuase ever contract they write says they can change their terms but not yours.  They are going down and I will help bring them to their knees.  Mabey an Anti Trust laswuit will get their attention.

Regular Contributor
Regular Visitor

I agree with you I have the latest equipment and the slowest connection either wi fi or hard wire I've had techs to the home numerous times but nothing changes they need to be held accountable for they're action but they just do what they please it needs to stop they don't lower my bill with this second rate internet service I don't like airing my dirty laundry but enough is enough just yesterday I wanted to thro computer and equipment in the rubbish can but that wouldn't have solved anything so in these contracts we sign Comcast needs to be held accountable for their poor service may we should look into what government agency gives them these company friendly contracts they have us sign maybe they would put our the consumer first not these phony commercials good luck my friend I'll keep watching the post hopefully strength is in numbers and solutions can be made but we need other customers with these problems to post their complaints sorry about punctuation but I hope this message is the start of something that would benefit we the consumer

Regular Contributor

300 GB data cap? i only use about 160 GB a month at best

Frequent Visitor

You can file a complaint with the FCC but it really does nothing. I filed one and all that happened was I got an email that said Comcast would contact me via mail but I actually got a phone call from their so called quality assurance department and the guy who called kept asking me what he could do to make me happy with my service. I said get rid of data caps. He asked me this 4 times and I answered 4 times. I then got an email from fcc that said my complaint was closed. They are going to get away with this because they are calling it a test. I have been in the test now for 2 years. Get ready USA this is going to be nationwide by the end of 2016.
Bronze Problem Solver

@Rocky3rd wrote:

300 GB data cap? i only use about 160 GB a month at best

Well lucky you, we use about 10-15 GB a day at my house sometimes more. 

Regular Contributor

If you have a large family, those who want to use service should be responsible and provide the extra $10 for the extra usage. If they are capable of using the internet they should be capable of cheaping in $10 a month

Bronze Problem Solver

@Rocky3rd wrote:

If you have a large family, those who want to use service should be responsible and provide the extra $10 for the extra usage. If they are capable of using the internet they should be capable of cheaping in $10 a month

Thats BS bro I pay almost 80.00 a month for my connection and I should be able to use it as I see fit. 

Regular Contributor

Is that how it works with your electric bill as well, or does your bill increase as your electic usage increases?

Have you ever tried to take a cab and tell the driver that you will pay him a flat rate of$40 no matter how far you need to get? What do you think that cab driver would say?

Bronze Problem Solver

@Rocky3rd wrote:

Is that how it works with your electric bill as well, or does your bill increase as your electic usage increases?

Have you ever tried to take a cab and tell the driver that you will pay him a flat rate of$40 no matter how far you need to get? What do you think that cab driver would say?

Does the utility company lie to people when they sign up for service ? When I signed up for Comcast HSI I asked straight up if there were any limitations or was the connection UNLIMITED I was told flat out is was unlimited there for I and many others were lied to. Comcast is not listed as a utility so your comparing apples and oranges. High end Comcast employees have already said caps are not about network congestion or about how much data a person uses its about maintaining lost revenue from cord cutters bottom line. I already pay 15.00 bucks more a month for having stand alone internet because I have no interest in any other crappy commercial filled service they offer and never will. 

Regular Visitor

Same here. Try living with 3 girls and see how far 300GB goes. Also I signed a contract for internet service. There is nothing in that contract about a data cap or a limit on how much I can use. Then comcast calls me up and sells me on upgrading to Blast plus and tells me how I can watch TV all I want on my computer. The very next month they started the data cap. Thats baiting your customers because they only offered this upgrade to customers that went over 300GB per month on average. That shows me how horrible this company is. The point is  I did not sign up for a data plan. 

Regular Contributor

Are you the only one in the family with an income? My dad made me pay rent starting age 16...I should have told him "That was not in the contract!" LOL...

The point being, those who have the ability to use your internet service should also be able to pay a misley $10 for additional GB....No pay No play

Regular Contributor

@Jim721 wrote:

Does the utility company lie to people when they sign up for service ?  

This is not about Comcast lying to the customers, it is about a change in policy. Kinda like when you work for a company and the initial stipulations (schedule, work attire, parking arrangements, hours)may always change based on company's need.

Bronze Problem Solver

Contributor

Comparing electric service to data usage is not the same. If you use less electric, you don't pay the same as using more. If I use 50 gigs one month and then 310 the next, I pay the same and have to pay for going over 300 gigs. Even cell phones are unlimited data. Some may throttle (mine hasn't yet) but there are no additional charges at least. They should at least let us use more data if we go under the previous months. 

Contributor

Re: Data charge

Actually, if you don't use that 50gb, within that month, whatever is left over will be gone the next month....So you're really not paying for the overages as much as you're being nickled and dimed...
Contributor

That's what I wrote. You pay the same each month whether you use 50 gigs or 300. And you are paying for the overages if you go over 300 since the unused data doesn't roll over.

Regular Contributor

@superlisaj wrote:

Comparing electric service to data usage is not the same. If you use less electric, you don't pay the same as using more. If I use 50 gigs one month and then 310 the next, I pay the same and have to pay for going over 300 gigs. Even cell phones are unlimited data. Some may throttle (mine hasn't yet) but there are no additional charges at least. They should at least let us use more data if we go under the previous months. 

I understand, but remember a service provider can establish whatever policy they so choose, we all have the freedom to either stay with it or cancel. If I have a gym membership for $35 a month and the gym management decides to bump fees to $45 a month they can do that, and I have the choice to either start paying the new charges or go find another gym

Regular Contributor

Yep if comcast wants to charge for useage then charge for useage. Meaning if I have months where I only use 100GB my bill should be alot less than months I use 300GB. Comcast wants to go with a flat rate charging model and then make up a threshold to just charge you more. That is complete BS and anyone that defends that is either a comcast employee or just a corporate shill.

My electirc bill is not 110$ a month flat rate and then overage fee's based on useage. My electric bill is based solely on useage and can vary from $80-$300 because it is based completely on useage.

Comcast wants their cake of a flat rate model and eat it to with overage fee's based on useage.

Regular Contributor

You are misguided

In my area I have a choice of at least 2 dozen gym's I can be a member of. In my area I have a choice of only ONE ISP that can provided 25MBPS or over to my house. Part of the problem is Comcast is implementing these caps in area's where they have bought compeition and paid off local officials to make sure no one else can provide boradband service. 

That is the case for most people facing these caps, they have no real choice to go to another provider.

Regular Contributor

@swanlee wrote:

You are misguided

In my area I have a choice of at least 2 dozen gym's I can be a member of. In my area I have a choice of only ONE ISP that can provided 25MBPS or over to my house. Part of the problem is Comcast is implementing these caps in area's where they have bought compeition and paid off local officials to make sure no one else can provide boradband service. 

That is the case for most people facing these caps, they have no real choice to go to another provider.

I can relate, I was with another ISP before I came in need of HD streaming, which requires speed my previous ISP did not offer in my area for the reasons you just listed. Only Comcast offers high speed internet of more than 3 MBPs in my area. At that point I had a choice, stay with the same ISP and be stuck with 3 MBPs or switch to Comcast, and adhere to Comcast's policy and regulation, including possible changes in costs of service.

If Comcast has the monopoly of various regions then we ought to adhere to Comcast's policy. It is not like they are being super strict, 300 GB a month is plenty of usage available anyway, and if you need more then shell out the extra $$$, have you family members help with the bill, tell your kids to limit the time spent on the internet, budget your own time using the service...It can be doneSmiley Happy

Bronze Problem Solver

@Rocky3rd wrote:

@swanlee wrote:

You are misguided

I can relate, I was with another ISP before I came in need of HD streaming, which requires speed my previous ISP did not offer in my area for the reasons you just listed. Only Comcast offers high speed internet of more than 3 MBPs in my area. At that point I had a choice, stay with the same ISP and be stuck with 3 MBPs or switch to Comcast, and adhere to Comcast's policy and regulation, including possible changes in costs of service.

If Comcast has the monopoly of various regions then we ought to adhere to Comcast's policy. It is not like they are being super strict, 300 GB a month is plenty of usage available anyway, and if you need more then shell out the extra $$$, have you family members help with the bill, tell your kids to limit the time spent on the internet, budget your own time using the service...It can be doneSmiley Happy

Rocky3rd you are truly clueless.... It is painfully obvious you are new to Comcast and there ever changing games. One day you will wake from your dream and join reality. 

Regular Contributor

I have been a Comcast customer only since Sept 23...Sure the initial stages of setting up service were kinda bumpy (had to replace the modem, tech support was not top notch)...But now I am finally getting great high speed internet service, I get steady connection at any time of the day and night, wife loves how flawless Netflix has gotten, and I am even getting $20 off a month for 12 months as a new customer.

300 GB offers me all the usage I need and then some, we can work on two PCs at the same time while HD streaming on our 120" projector screen...No I cant complain

Frequent Visitor

300 GB a month is plenty of usage available anyway, and if you need more then shell out the extra $$$, have you family members help with the bill, tell your kids to limit the time spent on the internet, budget your own time using the service...It can be doneSmiley Happy

In 2015 for a family household 300 GB is not a lot at all. Streaming music, movies, downloading apps, downloading console and PC games (many that are even upwards of 50 GB now), constant device updates, etc. It all eats up data very quickly for someone living in the modern age and taking advantage of what we all have available. If you stream 4K you're going to go through it even quicker. The issue is that the majority of us that are frustrated are the ones that had unlimited data until this cap reached our areas. Why should we have to pay more to have unlimited data now we've had it for years? It's what we signed up for. The right thing to do would have been to keep the unlimited data for those that already have it and use the 300 GB cap for new customers only. Then I'd have no reason to ever leave Comcast, but now they've given me a reason to leave. Comcast is doing this because of the amount of people switching completely to digital and streaming instead of using their TV service.

You'll love Comcast at first, but then you'll realize what a terrible company they are when you start having to interact with them and their customer service. Sadly, it's what we all have to deal with to get fast internet. Of course, it's better than your previous ISP, so..

btw, keep in mind about 4 hours of Netflix HD a day will make you go over your 300 GB a month. And that's nothing but Netflix.

Make sure you use your Data Usage Meter on the website to help you monitor what you're using day to day. Unfortunely, I haven't been able to access mine since Oct. 1 when the cap started for me. I've done the online chat 5 times and called 4 to find out why it's not working and how ironic it is that I now have to monitor my usage and yet have no way to. They told me over and over that the problem will be fixed, someone will call me back, and "not to worry", but no one has ever called back. It's been over a month. They just don't care.

Regular Contributor

Wow you are nuts Rocky

300Gb in todays world

5 Xbox one/PS4 digital games

3 4K HDR movies - MGO offers a DL service and the 4K HDR movies you DL to a hard drive and it ends up being around 100Gb for each movie

Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Sling etc HD quality streaming is 3-6GB per hour, 4K streaming can be up to 10GB an hour.

These are just 3 examples of legit services that are readily avilable in today's market that make 300Gb a month a farce and something that was more appropriate in the mid 2000's.

The world has changed and it's silly the comcast cap has not.

Regular Contributor

En

@gldoorii wrote:

btw, keep in mind about 4 hours of Netflix HD a day will make you go over your 300 GB a month. And that's nothing but Netflix.

We normally do about 1-2 hours of netflix a day, plus 1-2 hours of other HD streaming like Amazon Prime, UFC TV, and also use a lot of YouTube. We have two laptop computers and two cell phones also connected, and in use daily...so far the most we have used in a month is 150 GB, maybe 160 GB if I had an extra day off work...So it boggles my mind that you consider 300 GB a big limit.

Have you ever thought that maybe all the money that is going in the extra usage might also be used to improve technology? many complain that the modems provided are faulty, that the cable network needs improving...Perhaps your etxra $10 a month for going over 300 GB might have a purpose other than fill up the pockets of the big suits at Comcast.

The cost of life in general keeps going up, sorry to break the news to you

Regular Contributor

@shaydseme wrote:
Anyone see the leaked Comcast documents? I did. One of the /b/tards over on 4chan (who happens to be a Comcast employee) uploaded them. Comcast took down the thread, but they've made their way to reddit. If you know how to search, you can find them.

In short, there was never a data cap before now, and they are telling us there was a 250GB limit, and that this new 300GB limit is something of a gift, with a bonus 50GB. If you question them in any way over the phone, they'll just transfer you to the Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team.

It's all in the leaked documents that they are fighting very hard to keep you from seeing. This needs attention and publicity. It should be shoved in their face how awful they are, and they should be publicly humiliated for it.

So the cap was originally suppose dto be 250 GB instead of 300? And yet people keep complaining? I am paying less that $70 for quality internet service and I cant even get close to 200 GB a month unless I purposely skipped going to the office and sit home all day on the internet and stream 4k

Bronze Problem Solver

Rocky are you for real or just a Comcast recruited troll ? 

Regular Contributor

@Jim721 wrote:

Rocky are you for real or just a Comcast recruited troll ? 

To be honest, the initial steps into becoming a Comcast customer were a little rough. For the first week or so we experienced faulty wireless connection and a customer service team who seemed to know nothing but to "refresh the modem".

However my in-store experience was nothing but first class. We received great custmer service at our local center and I was given the exact make and model of modem that I wanted, no questions asked.

Once we hooked up the new modem, almost "magically" all issues were solved. My wife is still dumbfounded of how fast she can jump from one web site to another, and how flawless HD streaming is, no matter what time of the day or night.

You can eat out at McDonalds for just a few bucks or you can shell out the big $$$ and treat yourself and your family at a good restaurant, and make it a great experience...we all have a choice

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

My monthly data usage

This below is my monthly data usage for October...I am posting this to show that the 300 GB cap issued by Comcast is a fair deal. It's just me and my wife but we have our computer/s and Smart device pumping GBs all day long, HD streaming, including 4K UHD...
Mods if you have to merge this thread wit hthe main Mega Cap thread go ahead, I just wanted to post this individually to show people that you can enjoy great service while staying within the parameters established by Comcast

Data Usage from October 01, 2015 – October 31, 2015

Home Internet Usage

65GB of 300GB
50GB
100GB
150GB
200GB
250GB
65GB of 300GB
New Poster

Re: My monthly data usage

We need more competitors.. I hope that Google Fiber continue its expansion and start crashing Comcast in the markets where Comcast is present. I am happy for those Comcast clients that have not had any issues with this company, but me... I have had so many issues with them and believe me I had to spend so much time on the phone with them for them to fix issues that were related to their infrastructure, yet they try to charge me for checking and changing the connection inside my house, etc, etc.

Comcast is super expensive, is clear to me that Comcast is a good example of corporate greed. This move of adding caps is nothing more than protecting themselves from other competitors like Amazon, Netflix, Google in the TV streaming business. If you have not heard yet, just recently Comcast just became a company that has more Internet subscribers than Cable ones. This sound interesting, right? THis is where the market is going and wether Comcast like or not, taxing people is not goign to help their cause, as soon as there is an oportunity to leave Comcast clients will leave.   Welcome Google Fiber...

Bronze Problem Solver

What do you all think about this customer to comcast phone call. Classic !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1e8dPuRkl8

Problem Solver

In some markets that have the 300GB cap with $10 per 50GB overage Comcast is testing a new alternative. They will now offer customers the option of getting unlimited data usage again if they are willing to pay an extra $30 per month.

Comcast tests $30 fee that gets rid of internet data cap
http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/1/9241613/comcast-unlimited-data-option-test

New Poster

I want to thank Comcast/Xfinity for being clear on their abusive tactics.  I only found out about the Philly area 250gb data limit by digging through my account link.  THANK YOU so much for temporarily suspending the non-existant 250GB limit.  THANK YOU for being clear in making my transition to FIOS such an easy decision!!!  PS....  Does the part of my router band width you sell to other folks as Xfinity.com, count towards my data useage??  Does my use of Xfinity Hotspots count towards my data useage??  More surprises tocome, I guess. Seriously, you have a right to address data hogs on your system.  YOU HAVE an obligation to be trustworthy with loyal customers and let them know what's going on, instead of pulling one of your "Evil Empire" sneaky deals.  From a loyal (3 Home) Comcast (soon to be ex) user.  PSS  Have you guys ever even used the word "trust" or "good faith"

Bronze Problem Solver

Does the part of my router band width you sell to other folks as Xfinity.com, count towards my data useage??   NO

Does my use of Xfinity Hotspots count towards my data useage??   

Yes if your the one using the hot spot. 

Frequent Visitor

It's difficult not see the data caps as anything more than a way to extract more money from it's customer base. If it's about fairness as they claim then why lock away your high tier internet services behind Triple pay to play walls? Why am I unable to get the Extreme tier as a stand alone service or at least only require one other service, but instead you must have 3 services bundled.

If that doesn't sound like a way to prevent cord cutting then I don't know what is...

Even with data cap overages or unlimited plan, I'd drop TV and Phone in a heart beat and stick with streaming-only. It's about stunting the growth of potential rivals to their TV/Video revenue.

New Poster

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.h

there are other ways around the cap than upgrading to business class. you can DROP comcast and get satellite, verizon, or something else. even no internet at all. why give them more money for screwing us all over? 

New Poster

bandwidth cap vs blast

i just want to voice my complete disgust with bandwidth caps. i don't understand how you can justify any of it. what's the point in paying for blast internet with incredible amazing speeds that just suck your bandwidth dry in a matter of days. if you stream a major sport and add netflix on top of that and take advantage of the blast speeds to stream in high quality, your bandwidht is SCREWED. i currently have blast and i don't really understand why i am paying for speeds that i can only utilize for about a week before i have to shut everything down. complete and utter bs. looking for an alternative service provider. can't tollerate this much longer.

New Poster

Re: bandwidth cap vs blast

hahaha now think all those people who have those new wifi xfinity routers that anybody can have access too. Now watch people's data cap go over so easily! Way to go Comtrash! Must be angry still about how the FCC and the people screwed you guys over with those new rules in place. I wonder now if this is even legal? I have the Blast account and does it even affect me?

Contributor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

This has been confirmed..The data caps have nothing to do with congestion, save for the "congestion" that's blocking total market dominance.

Also, we as customers are not powerless to stop this abuse on our wallets! Take your fight to the FCC!

As I've said many, many times before, the ONLY good thing about my experience with this company are with it's employees! Specifically their customer service including every department from on-site/field techs (Not the sub-contracted) up until you reach Marketing and middle/upper management/Execs!

The thing that gets me is when people spew their toxic bile on folks who have no decision on how/what/which policies are enacted with this budding/borderline monopoly, (Ask yourself, if you're willing to help the person who just gave you a brutal verbal beating..) if you want to vent, direct your anger towards the monkey suits and leave customer service/aft mentioned depts out of it, as the souless monkey-suits are the ones who have a stake in bilking the customer's bank accounts dry by using underhanded marketing tactics such as this.

And if you want to cite operational costs, don't...

As that's already a given, just ask the countless other ISPs that DON'T charge a DATA CAP in order to operate! Seriously, are you telling me the largest ISP in the nation is so strapped for cash that they need to nickle and dime for extra **"operational costs" when their competitors do just fine without them...(As much as one when squeezed out of certain metro districts/markets) 

**No, the fact is it costs a LOT of money in order to dominate the market while trying to build a monopoly loophole as lawyer's and lobbying for local/state/congressional lay-a-bouts don't come cheap...

New Poster

Canceling my service if this garbage comes here.

Regular Contributor

So Comcast is offering an alternative to the data cap for just an extra $30-35...That's great news for those who need more than 300 GB a month

Regular Visitor

Not Pleased With the Data Cap?? You can register your displeasure Here!

I am in hopes that I am able to float this boat here.

Each month that I approach my 300 GB data limit I bring my usage to a halt to protest the data cap! I have never exceeded the limit. We can also protest the cap with the link below.

https:\\www.change.org/p/comcast-remove-300gb-data-cap-limit-from-all-internet-plans?recruiter=423044550&utm...