Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

Re: 300gb Data Usage

HA...I just found out tonight as well when my internet came to a screaching halt.  I don't game but I do stream movies.  My challenge is I just got a new computer and my cloud backup is running all over and I have a TON of pics/music/videos/etc. 

ATT is 250 GB then $10 per 50GB but thinking about unlimited plan.  They just installed in our neighborhood so I'm checking options.  Can't get Time Warner here...

Good luck!

Frequent Visitor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

No judgement. Many of us in the same predicament. In Atlanta Comcast now offers unlimited data option add on to your plan for additional $35. So now we get to pay over $100 for 25 Mbps service whereas Google Fiber available inside city of Atlanta is $70 for one gigabit service and no data cap. Aren't we lucky!
New Poster

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Hello, I checked my data usage on October 21 and it said I only used 162/300GB. I even have that screenshoted and saved as I had a feeling comcast would pull something.

Now toda, October 23rd, I had a pop-up on my computer that says "You have used 292/300GB" and I went to the data usage and it shows that.

Nobody in my house downloaded any huge files the past 2 days. So, is Comcast artificially pumping up our usage to make us go over or what? It is impossible that I only use 162GB for 21 days and then used 130GB the past 2 days.

Regular Visitor

Does anyone have any thoughts on my question though?  Is it highly likely that I will go over?  I will probably cut netflix back to a minimum.

Frequent Visitor

Klaydabby,

You really wont know till you start looking at the usage meters online and desktop (sometimes they differ wildly!) how much you use. There is no granularity offered by Comcast on what service/location/domain that uses your data. It is frustrating and regardless of what Comcast says about "fairness", limited resources, etc., this is about replacing one revenue stream with another in a non-competitive playing field. They can do this so they will do this.

P.S. Yes, the faster the speed you pay for means that you may potentially hit the arbitrary limit faster, look up "catch-22" on the innerwebs, wait, don't, that will cause you to use more data.

Regular Visitor

Greattttt, and I just looked it up.  I was actually promised the Blast Pro 150mbps, so that's what I'm getting.  However, they tell me they can't downgrade my service til I've actually installed it.  They say you get the first month free.  

So I'm going to keep the 150, and do things like I normally do the first month.  If I go over they say they won't charge me the first month.  If I need to go down to Performance 50, or even switch to another ISP, I will Smiley Sad

Edit: I also hear that you can upgrade your account to a business account for a little extra a month, and completely avoid data caps.  So all in time I guess.

Frequent Visitor

If you stream just over 4 hours of Netflix HD a day, then you will be just over the 300 GB cap. Keep in mind this is only streaming Netflix, so adding in normal internet usage, updates, downloading apps on your phone, etc etc etc you'll use it up and go over very quickly.

Basically, to not go over, people will have to reduce their normal streaming habits and live as if we are on some sort of internet data shortage that we need to ration very carefully.

This is 2015 and we are arguing about data caps on the internet as if its the 90s and paying by the hour for AOL. Pretty soon Comcast will be mailing out "40 free hour" discs so we can finish binge watching our Netflix shows instead of paying for their crappy quality TV service.

Expert
Moved:

Post remove due to a deliberate forum language filter bypass violation.

New Poster

300gb cap....

Well i got a message about going over my "300gb" cap today.  Waiting to get my bill and if i get charged for something that I though was unlimited, I'm just gonna cancel my servise. I advise everyone else to do the same. I read up on the cap and saw that comcast wants 30 extra a month for removal of the cap.......some month's i may go over and some months i may not.  Looks like and en excuse to get more money for nothing from costomers.

New Poster

Re: 300gb cap....

Comcast has lost their mind. How can a service go from unlimited to 300gb. Not only do they have crappy customer service now they are freaking crooks. Back to the underwelming speeds of AT&T i go. This was Comcast last chance with me and they blew!!!! Way to inspire customer loyalty Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

I am stuck in a contract that I was sold that included unlimited internet.  Comcast decided they can change their side of the bargain and stop my unlimited internet and chage me for using it.  I went 500GB in sept, now since they added the cap that would cost me about $50 more.  I dont see how this is legal.  You cant just change one side of the contract.  If I try to exit the contract they say they will sue for the balance.  Lets just all CALL AND COMPLAIN EVERYDAY!  Who is with me?????   This will cost them way more than $10 per 50GB!  LETS ALL CALL OVER AND OVER AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS.  These people pay off the government into allowing them to break the contract.  So lets do pur part to SCREW THEM OVER!  I hate them and I will not take this lying down.  

THey say they can do it because in every contract is says they can "CHANGE THE TERMS WHENEVER THEY WANT TO".  And we still are stuck in the contract even if they change the terms.  This is completely illegal but the government lets them do it.

CALL COMCAST AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE LIMITS EVERYDAY!  UNTIL THEY LET US OUT OF THE CONTRACT.

Frequent Visitor

CALL COMCAST EVERY DAY TO COMPLAIN, IF WE ALL DO THIS THEY WILL CHANGE THE POLICY

New Poster

This is compete rubbish! Comcast is enforcing something they were not explaining to customers at the time installation was done. They actually told me there was no limit. I asked at the time I increased my speed from 50 to 105 since I knew I was going to use more data. They lied to me. What makes me so mad is that the cap applies to all speeds. What the heck is that? How can you think a 300 gb is fine for a 25 mbps connection as well as a 105 mbps? Do the math Comcast! This  makes me sick on how messed up this is. I'm going to leave as soon as ATT has there new super high speed network going in Miami. At least they offer 1 tb of data and their fiber network will blow Comcast away. Shame on you Comcast. I really hope you reconsider this mistake and fire the person that thought about this. All you guys are doing is look greedy.

New Poster

They are not even allowing my reply to any post obviousy..  So i will try once again.

I am a senior citizen ( almost 70 ) and been with Comcast for nearly 18 years.  My original agreement was for unlimited service.   I have paid my bill on time all these years. Now they tell me I am allowed only 300 GB a month.   I live on social securiy.  The Internet is my only enjoyment in life, and Comcast is taking that away from me, and possibly many other older Americans.  This is so wrong !!

Frequent Visitor

For all of the new people who are just now figuring out how much we are being taken advantage of, read the last two pages of this forum, that's page 16 and 17 and you'll understand the situation from people who have come before you. Comcast isn't going to listen, they don't care, they're not going to change until they're ready to. FCC and FTC complaints don't make a difference, and calling 8 or 10 times a day is not going to make a difference. The only way to show them how unhappy you are is to leave and go to a competitor if you have one. Unfortunately in the Atlanta area I didn't have a broadband hi speed competitor in my northern suburb. I was able to recently add an unlimited option on for an additional $35 per month which means now I have the privilege to pay over $100 a month for 25mbps service with no cap, whereas those who will have Google Fiber will pay $70 a month to have one gigabit service and no caps.
Frequent Visitor

They willl charge you 150 to cancel your service.  Even though they are the one changing your service without your concent yet forcing you to honor your side of the contract.  This is like Darth Vader "Im altering my side of the bargain"

Bronze Problem Solver

I agree 100%. There are NO service reps that ever mention at sign up there are caps in certain areas and shorty it will be country wide. In fact they never mention caps at all even if you ask they say no its unlimited. And busting contracts should also be stopped, you cant change it why should they be able to change it. Comcast is in bed with the powers that be so dont expect any change until you vote with your wallet $$$$ thats all Xfinity cares about...  End of Rant !!!!   Thanks 

New Poster

yes same happened to me too.this company as crooked as it comes.unfortunately for me the area where i live there are no other providers,so this is what happens when u take the competition away.u would not think this kind of thing can happen to you in usa

Bronze Problem Solver

To be honest this kind of thing only happens in the USA..  

New Poster

I urge all those that are able to switch to a competing internet provider to do so.  It's the only way that Comcast will get the message that we are being abused by their monopolistic practices. 

Contributor

My earlier post was removed by Comcast cause a word I used was deamed "offensive"

Anyways, what I had said on that post was that when I called to inquire bout the cap, I was told that the cap was as of a few years ago, but Comcast only recently started to inforce it!

Really? A few years ago! Suuure....

I said that was BS n that my contract said unlimited .......he said he was just n employee n didn't make the decisions....

He sounded aggravated ......like maybe allot of costomers were complaining 

Contributor

305limitsucks, are you switching? When n to where?

Anyone know why Az's cap is 450?

New Poster

i did mine on September 29 then on october 14 i was contacted by a comcast security supervisor regarding my complaint. pretty much the only thing he said was for me to pay 30.00 a month and give feedback of the trial. i said to throw away this trial because it aint going to work. still no alternative to this. miami is a monpoly and fpl is proof

Regular Visitor

When this data cap trial came out I was told it was only a for a certain areas and for a limited time. Well over a year later its still here. Just another lie from Comcast. When I signed up it was for Internet service. NOT A DATA PLAN!!!!!! Comcast is so hated in the Atlanta area you would be lucky to find one in ten people who are satisfied with their service. Cant wait for GOOGLE fiber so I can watch Comcast subscribers drop like a rock. 

I use to stand behind this company. I cant believe what they have turned into

Regular Visitor

Why isn't miami florida listed in the sticky were in the same boat as the other places. We have a 300gb limit as well now and its frustrating me beyond belief. 

Expert
Moved:

Regular Visitor

TheBoldEagle, yeah I can imagine.  It's not listed on their Sticky though.  It's actually listed here, http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-what-are-the-different-plans-launch...

Contributor

I agree. They really need to increase data usage for people that use subscription services such as Netflix. I am about to go over so I can't watch Netflix for the next 4 days which is ridiculous. I tend to binge watch like crazy on the weekends and sometimes even late at night.
New Poster

DATA USAGE CAP

We recently became Comcast customers when we moved and now have a 2-year contract.  I don't recall anything about a data cap for internet when we signed up for this contract at this set price.  I don't understand how they can just arbitrarily tack on extra charges and caps when those weren't the terms of the original agreement.  

My question is this -- does anyone recall being notified of this cap BEFORE they chose Comcast as their internet provider?  

New Poster

I can't switch because I HAVE NO ONE TO SWITCH TO!  This is what is driving me insane!  Trust me, I would gladdly take the early termination fee to give it to the man.  Anyone know how to contact Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Google, Microsoft, Apple, Sony, and any other company that's future is in the "cloud?"  Cause Comcast is getting ready to stop this cloud buisness.

Contributor

@donnalou I don't remember being told of it at any point.

Contributor

Tempestzxt, did they contact you my mail? As the FCC requires ...

Frequent Visitor

Re: DATA USAGE CAP

From what I was told, Comcast has always had a cap, but it has not been in effect for a long time. It may have not been common knowledge because we all thought we had "unlimited" data, when in reality they just didn't have the cap turned on in specific areas.

It's all BS.

Contributor

Gldooril, is that what Comcast rep. told you? Where had you hesrd such a thing?

Frequent Visitor

Yea, I've been told on the phone several times over the past few years that I've been a subscriber. They like to remind me of my high usage, usually around 500 GB, and I remind them that there is no cap, which they then tell me that there is but it's just "not in effect" in my area (until now). They've told me that for probably 5-6 years I think.

Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast has always had a Hard Cap of 250 Gb a month until May 2012 when they suspened it to try new options and these trials in certain areas. In the very near future all of comcasts internet subsciders will have data caps no way around it. What those caps will be in each market remains to be seen. For what it's worth with the old 250 GB a month cap comcast would simply kick you off there network for a period of one year there was no pay for extra.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how-comcast-is-now-handling-internet-data-usage-and-caps

Contributor

Jim, L had never heard of such a thing....

Contributor

Yes...see below

Contributor

@Klaydabby wrote:

Hey guys,

I have a really serious question about the service I recently ordered.  I got the Blast 105, along with some cable channels for a decent amount per/mo because I'm in an "xfinity community."

Long story short, I had NO idea there was a data limit.  Maybe I'm stupid but I never saw anything about a 300gb cap, until I saw a commercial for Time Warner saying it has ZERO limits to data.

So, I would say my usage is fairly heavy.  I play A LOT of games online, on my pc.  My girlfriend does aswell, so basically everything that I say I'm doing, add her in aswell for doing the exact same thing.

Netflix - I would say constantly, whenever we were at home at out old place we'd use it for background noise, of course this is an easy habit to break.  However, I'd say we'd still watch a heavy amount of it, somewhere in the 20-30 hour a week range.  Maybe more maybe less, I'm not sure I never honestly kept count between work.

Gaming - We game more than anything else.  I'm constantly playing some MMO, when not at work or out and about.  So I would place Casually playing MMOs as our highest occuring activity daily.  I'm talking about 4-5 hours a day maybe more. (Lazy days off, probably all day if not going to the beach or have plans).  Also keep in mind it's two people gaming as we usually play together.

Youtube/twitch - This won't mostly be an issue, I don't watch much youtube, besides the occasional trailer.  I mainly would stream twitch from my cellphone with the LTE, which I will still probably use because I happen to still have the old Sprint unlimited plan.  However there are times that I actually do watch Twitch on my computer, like when there is a big tournament, or a news conference.  That kind of thing.

That's pretty much it.  As far as downloading goes we have everything large downloaded already such as the MMO's we play and such.  (20+gb downloads for the game.)  However, when i new game does come out (Fallout 4) I will download and install it on my Pc.

So tell me, now that you see how much of internet addicts we are, is 300gb anywhere NEAR enough for us?  I saw that we get sort of a grace period for about 3 months where they don't change me for overages.  However, if it's pretty evident that I'm going to exceed it, I'm going to try to find a better option.  

I originally wanted the Blast 105, but the faster speed seems like it would make me hit my 300gb even faster than I would just using the base Performance 50.

Tell me your opinions guys, do you think this is going to be an issue?  Also please no judging on how much of internet addicts and nerds we are.

Thanks in advance!

Yes....you might check to see if they will enable you to pay $30-35/mo more for Unlimited. if you live in the Atlanta area or in FL they now offer that. I broke down (and perhaps I will indeed go broke) and got the Unlimited Data plan for $35 more a month..ugh. Better safe than worrying about my data going over every month.

Contributor

@swanlee wrote:

Just signed up for unlimted data here in Atlanta, I hate paying 35$ more a month but am more than happy to get rid of this 2 year curse. I'm very thankfull this nightmare is over.

Yes..I broke down (and will be broke I am sure) too and plunged in with both feet to pay an extra $35/mo. Sigh. Well..at least I/we do not have to keep on looking at my/our usage meter or here online anymore.

Contributor

@Scalpel99 wrote:
By the way the unlimited data plan won't kick in until November 1st and when I originally called the sales department, they didn't know anything about this new plan. They transferred me to billing who then said the security insurance department is the one that adds on the unlimited data option.

Heh...when I called the Security Ins..ane Department in India the young lady told me to "hold on my meter"...I said pardon?..she repeated it..then I realized she meant "hold on a minute"..heh. Stupid me. Guess I may be Ins..ane for doing it..but...

Contributor

Am wondering if in a few years Comcast might go ahead n cancel the unlimited plan n cap that as well? I mean, apparently they do what they want anyways!

Frequent Visitor

We all know Comcast doesn't care about the user, which is why their customer service is complete BS. Sadly, a lot of people don't have anyone else to use, and those of us that do will get a sub par connection. Comcast is doing this "because they can" and people will have to pay it.

Contributor

I'll be leaving cause I don't want to be part of a company that doesn't do the right thing by its customers 

Contributor

They really need to stagger it. I will go over by about 10 gigs this month. It's not fair to have to pay the same for going over 10 gigs vs 100 or more. 

New Poster

Looking back I think it's unfair to implement these cap limits for people that are on contract.  That's my bigest gripe.  And that's why when my 2 year contract is over I will go to satellite TV.  I will still have to have Comcast for internet cause I have no other choice (unless some other ISP shows up in my area) but I will take my TV whatching habbits elsewhere. 

New Poster

Data charge

I'm now being charged an extra $10 for every additional 50gb of data over 300gb per month while customers in Arizona pay the same for 600gb! Holy Ripoff, Batman!

New Poster

Re: Data charge

The problem with data at the moment is that users can't see detail let alone manage their volumes.  If you have phones, for example, that automatically switch from network to wifi, you're using data.  

All the unwanted and unregulated mobile advertising on that device or a PS3 or anything is using data. If you watch a streaming show, you can't easily set the cache.  This is the Wild West and instead of learning, Comcast is charging us to be their beta customers. This is wrong; and Comcast device apps are no better - if you've tried the Comcast WiFi app on a wifi device you'll notice it kills both battery and data usage.

Frequent Visitor

Cap limits in Tucson

I have seen other comments how in Tucson we have a higher cap. That is only for the higher tier Internet packages that are over $100 per months. Is average person here in Tucson have the performance package which had the 300 cap. Which sucks. I have to be an Internet general and tell my kids to stop streaming music and Netflix so we don't go over and they are also using the Internet for school since schools are now digital based for the most part. And I am in any area where there is no other choice. Data caps suck.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Cap limits in Tucson

Will be interesting to see which goes first... the data caps or the Comcast executives who contrived this spectacular marketing failure.