Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Regular Contributor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

This issue was on our local news again today, October 7th on WSBTV, Atlanta. You can view the story on their Facebook page. Clark Howard did the report and was also surprised to find out their process for notifying customers.

If your useage surpasses the cap, you'll get a letter explaining your useage along with the consequences should you go over this cap. Unfortunately, most Comcast users are not aware of Comcast creating caps on Internet useage. Comcast claims to have sent this information to its users via email. We have yet to find this email.

I'm currently one of users living in Atlanta, a test market and this is the first I'm hearing of it. I know I'm dying to find an alternative to Comcast.

Comcast claims the reason for this change is how we use our Internet service. Spefically the amount of streaming and useage of services like Hulu and Netflix, along with other services not provided by Comcast.

In the end, Clark Howards recommendation, drop Comcast especially since they are calling this a test in certain cities before they consider rolling it out all over the country. The reality is that its not a test, it's an opportunity for Comcast to fine tune their process in determining current useage and how it should be billed then it's going to roll out countrywide.

Why is the same cap used for everyone regardless of what type Internet service you've chosen, like blast or extreme ect? That makes no sense, you should be allowed useage based on what service you pay for. Like cell plans used to be, if we don't reach the cap amount, will that unused amount roll onto the next month? It should, why pay the same for a service you use less of than those that use more than allowed?

Atlanta is also the test market for the Google Internet service. Thank god, we will have an option that's better than Comcast and with no caps on useage.

It's very much like cell phone providers when you bought a plan with so many minutes allowed, if you went over those minutes, you were billed a certain amount for every minute over your contract. Now most cell providers offer unlimited useage. My cell provider offer a service that would allow me to use my phone as a as a network, perhaps that might be an option. We will see.

I wonder what they're going to do when their customers have choices and drop Comcast? That will be a hard lesson to learn, it's not like they will be able to get those customers back.
Expert

Re: Low data cap for highest tier internet makes no sense

@glennbob wrote:

If you are unhappy about the data caps "trial", you are far better off filing a complaint with the FCC than complaining to Comcast.

Now that Net Neutrality is in place, the FCC has new authority to look at unfair billing practices and other things that ISPs do to restrict or limit internet access.

Day to day usage of the internet actually consumes very little data, typically less than 20GB a month. The data hog for ISPs is streaming content, particularly video. This is why usage limits are anti-competitive, because they punish the consumer directly for using a competitor's service. Comcast/NBC Universal is losing TV customers and is attempting to create a new revenue stream to make up for the losses. So if you do follow glennbob's advice and file an FCC complaint, make sure to include the words "anti-competitive".

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

While I'm glad the issue is finally being covered here in Atlanta by WSB and Clark Howard we've had the cap for 2 years now, seems odd it took them so long to notice the horrible anti consumer practice going on. Hopefully media pressure will at least allow us in the ATL to have the option to pay $30 a month for unlimited like South Fla does.

Also Clark should point out that dropping Comcast is not an option here for many in Altanta. My choices at my home are Comcast caps and a 105MBPS connection or ATT and a 12-18MBPS connection which is not even be classified as braodband anymore by the FCC.

Contributor

I live in east Tennessee where Comcast currently has a data cap, which we didn't seem to have several years ago.  I have the Blast internet package, an up to date gaming computer, laptop, and an iphone.  Pretty standard stuff for a gamer now days.  I also enjoy watching live streams on twitch.tv.  In fact, I've actually replaced most of my regular television watching with watching live streams.  For me, they're more entertaining and you have the option to interact with the broadcasters, as well as other viewers.

Here's where I get to my point.  If I watch twitch.tv for several hours every night, I BLOW THROUGH my 300 GB data cap in a little less than 2 weeks.  Now mind you, I watch on the highest quality setting they offer, but as far as I know that is no different than watching a YouTube video in 1080p60fps (which I do very often as well), or watching a digital HD movie, or whatever you call them.

So to avoid being charged an extra $60 a month for another 300 GB of data usage, I have to change up entertainment schedule.  For me, this is something I MYSELF should decide to do, not be foreced into doing in by my internet provider, to avoid extra charges on my bill (especially when other parts of the country have the same service and no data cap).  I specifically remember not having a data usage cap several years ago, and now that I do and I've found a website I enjoy watching content on, I have to limit my use of it.  Totally unacceptable in my opinion.

What is this, some kind of cell phone data plan thing?

Anyways, just wanted to express my disgust for charging extra for your internet usage when you go over some magical number.

Contributor

I finally made the switch to AT&T and Direct TV - my recorded speed in Dunwoody was 18 MBps definitely a drop from Comcast but I was happy to make the move now that I don't have to modify and monitor my own, my wife's, and daughter's internet consumption behavior and can use services like Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Steam and Carbonite without restriction - services that could easily cost me $600-$700 per month with Comcast (try backing up a 3 TB drive on Comcast!).  Comcast obviously has no concern for the impact to these companies and wants to throttle and stiffle any innovation.  The data usage fees is also going to cause major damage to the environment as companies shift back to package manufacturing and shipping for retail distribution.  I used to think that 4k Blu-Ray would be a complete dud but now with Comcast data caps it's going to be a big hit at Red Box in my neighborhood. 

Comcast definitely tried to make the cancellation process as difficult as possible - took me roughly a week to complete it.  I highly recommend using one the paid Comcast cancellation services that charge $5.  The fact that such services exist is obscene and yet Comcast does nothing about it. 

Comcast loves to liken this mobile data tiers, but the two are in no way analagous.  Everyone on mobile phones is on Wi-Fi 90% of the time either at home or at work - so unless you're in the boonies - you're not all that likely to use a lot of data.  Plus with carriers like T-Mobile, it is unlimited data for one price. If you exceed 5 GB they throttle down the speed but you can view webpages etc.  Also it's an opt in option to buy more data with T-Mobile rather than a metered charge like Comcast - completely different. 

In summary, data usage fees will lower home values / tax digest http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB11064341213388534269604581077972897822358 , put companies that offer online backup services / gaming services / large file storage and transport out of business, stifle innovation, cause throughly unnecessary damage to the environment via shifting consumer preferences back to retail, require severe modifications to you and your family's internet consumption monitoring and restrictions, and will likely result in most users choosing to watch SD or less quality video only.  Congrats Comcast - you've successfully ticked off governments, businesses, and consumers in one fell swoop!

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately, the FCC won't do anything for the consumer per my latest response from them.  I continue to complain to Comcast, as per FCC instructions, but Comcast is under the delusion that this IS NOT A PROBLEM!  Yep, that's what they said.  According to their metrics, most people don't ever meet the threshold.  If that is the case, why have a threshold at all?  My bill is ridiculous.  I've dropped cable so let's see if that does anything.  They have the monopoly where I live.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yep nothing comes from FCC/BBB/FTC complaints, you get a call where Comcast tell you to shove it and then a letter saying Comcast is great and data caps offer more choices for their customers.

Still it is about the only thing you can do as a consumer when a company abuses their monopoly

Regular Contributor

I've have several problems with my services as usual and Comcast offers no help or support. When I called 4 times this past week about the current issues, I asked for some specefics regarding this cap program, the Comcast Customer "Service" person claims to have no knowledge of caps.

Part of the issue is that they don't offer customer service, their never truthful and always offer excuses and options that never happen. They say they will have a tech call me as they are forwarding my issue to advanced tech support. I have yet to get a call back. Not that I expected Comcast to be honest, but it would really be great if I could actually use the options I pay for every month.

Clark Howards report on the news helped to bring the issue forward. Comcast does think it's a problem according to their statistics, of course they have no idea how their customers feel.

Regarding options in Atlanta, no matter where you live you have options, I have only 2, Comcast or AT&T, as slow as the AT&T option is, I am going to have to change to AT&T. Someone mentioned costs to drop Comcast, Comcast offered to drop me as a customer when we were addressing the home phone service I've been paying for over a year and have yet to get home phone service. A customer service person was so angry with me claiming there were no notes on file, after 3 techs had been to my house and they tried to charge me for the visit, she finally said that I could just choose another option, there is no fee for terminating service as long as all the equipment is returned.

I would rather have a root canal vs AT&T's poor options.
Regular Contributor

I meant Comcast doesn't think there's a problem with caps, according to their statistics.
Sorry for the typo's.
Contributor

I'm on day 2 on AT&T - it's slower but I can live with it.  The tradeoff of not having to monitor and modify my consumption behavior was worth it.  I like you only had two options but my municipal governement recognizes how dire a problem this is with Google Fiber going in all the adjacent communities but ours.  Data usage fees have probably lopped off $10-15k off my home value and have generally made my town completely unattractive to knowledge workers. Thanks Comcast!

Regular Contributor

Atlanta is getting Google Fiber as well, so my area will have 3 options. Other parts of the city can use that dish network and I believe there's another similar. The dish itself is banned in my community.
We're excited about Google fiber coming soon.
Regular Contributor

I could not deal with ATT 12-18MBPS, I work from home alot and need to RDP into servers to do delcitate work with multiple connections at the same time etc and that speed wouldn't cut it. I haven't had that slow of a speed in about 10 years.

Plus technically the FCC classified broadband as a utlity and also stated braodband is considered 25MBPS and above. Since ATT cannot offer that to my area I factually only have a single choice for broadband internet to my house.

Contributor

I hear you mrobles38 - I'm guessing that if you were considering a move in Atlanta - Brookhaven and Sandy Springs would be high on your list and Dunwoody wouldn't make the cut even though all three have great schools, low crime, great housing etc. because Dunwoody only has data capped Comcast as an ISP. 

Contributor

AT&T is definitely not an ideal solution but there's absolutely no way I'm giving money to Comcast after what they've done to home values in my town and crippling innovation in general.  Swanlee - you must be ringing up the charges with your line of work.

Regular Contributor

It sucks and I have to be a dictator to my family about bandwidth, my only other option is to pay an extra $100-150 a month more than I am now for business class for the same speed I have now.

The lack of options they are giving ATL just totally ticks me off. I would be perfectly fine with paying an extra $30 a month for unlimited like comcast does in South Fla or having a higher data cap with higher speed tiers like they do in Tucson. That just really ticks me off, that just because I live in ATRL Comcast isn't giving me options they are giving other people

Contributor

Where I got absolutely crippled was that I have about 15-20 very large Microsoft Office files (think Powerpoint with tons of screenshots) open at all times as its necessary (albeit slightly crazy) in my line of work to jump between multiple docs.  Essentially - those Office files are constantly auto-saving and thus consuming data.  I let Microsoft know and they seemed concerned enough to pass my email around to more than a few individuals.  I don't think Comcast even remotely understands the ramifications of instituting data metering because now I look at checking in or out any of my large files from OneDrive as 50 cents here 50 cents there.  Point being I'm moving my files to a local drive which in essense defeats Microsoft entire go forward strategy with Office 2016.  Comcast really must hate Microsoft for some reason. 

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

I hate Comcast so much.  I have 3 people living in my house and we all use data.  Comcast is single-handedly ruining the experience of using the internet, and apparently for no real reason.

They are officially a monopoly in Atlanta right now where I live.  I can't wait until they get sued, they are the worst company in America.

Regular Contributor

My questions is how can comcast get away with this?

Comcast's own streaming services or TV streaming service they say does not count against the caps.

That violates net neutrality as comcast is treating their own streaming services differently than their competitors. The whole point of net neutrality is ISP's must treat all traffic the same.

New Poster

Just filed a complaint with the FCC. I don't expect anything to come of it and will probably pay the fee hike since Comcast has a monopoly in my area. The moment they don't though, I will be saying goodbye to Comcast and their services.

Bronze Problem Solver

@swanlee wrote:

My questions is how can comcast get away with this?

Comcast's own streaming services or TV streaming service they say does not count against the caps.

That violates net neutrality as comcast is treating their own streaming services differently than their competitors. The whole point of net neutrality is ISP's must treat all traffic the same.

Things like Video on Demand streaming from your TV set top box do not go against your cap but streaming any online content from comcast on computers and phones and tablets DO count against your caps. Basically anything that passes through your modem counts towards your monthly cap. 

Contributor

Being Throttled right now. Man Mad

Contributor

My town councilman just emailed me to tell that Comcast starting Nov 1 will be offering an unlimited plan for an additional $35 per month in the Atlanta area.  Hey Comcast - if you think I'm going to pay $120 a month for you to run a utility wire to my home at 1/10 the speed of Google Fiber for $70 - well I'd love to meet the braintrust behind that decision.   BTW you already lost me last week because Comcast didn't even have the foresight to offer an unlimited plan.  Forget that - I use a 1TB a month - or approximately $140 in overage fees.  Much happier, albeit with a slower connection, with $40 unlimited service with AT&T. 

Contributor

and to think that Comcast kept advising people in Atlanta to move to Business class at 2-4x the price while along intending on introducing an unlimited option for $35.  The gall of this company knows no bounds...  don't take my word for it - look in this very forum!

Frequent Visitor

Not true. Their streaming TV counts against you too.

Regular Contributor

Just signed up for unlimted data here in Atlanta, I hate paying 35$ more a month but am more than happy to get rid of this 2 year curse. I'm very thankfull this nightmare is over.

Frequent Visitor

Who did you speak with you in Atlanta market because I'm on the phone with them now they said they don't offer it.
Frequent Visitor

I just contacted the Comcast security assurance department at 1-866-947-8572 and was able to sign up for the $35 unlimited internet data option on top of my plan that I already have in the Atlanta area. Thank goodness!
Bronze Problem Solver

@Scalpel99 wrote:
I just contacted the Comcast security assurance department at 1-866-947-8572 and was able to sign up for the $35 unlimited internet data option on top of my plan that I already have in the Atlanta area. Thank goodness!

Thats about the same price as paying for Limited basic Tv service plus renting a set top box. Ugg 

Frequent Visitor

By the way the unlimited data plan won't kick in until November 1st and when I originally called the sales department, they didn't know anything about this new plan. They transferred me to billing who then said the security insurance department is the one that adds on the unlimited data option.
New Poster

I just signed up with a new Triple Play plan last week and had to agree to a 2 year agreement. Today I get a notice that I'm already at 90% of my 300 GB cap for internet. Never have I had this cap before, no person ever told me about it and the sales person that sold me on that plan never stated that although I'm paying extra for the 105 Extreme Internet AND paying extra for HD, that I have a 300 GB cap on my internet. I read through the 2 year agreement for the services I'm paying for and no where in that agreement does it state that I have a cap on my internet. So how can they legally do this???? So now I have to pay an additional $30/mo putting my bill over $200/mo in order to not have an internet cap, or pay an early cancellation fee to now get out of this agreement? Sounds like entrapment to me. This is NOT cool.

New Poster

And not to forget, that Comcast keeps a portion of your wireless services on YOUR wireless router for any other comcast customer to use. So I wonder if THAT portion that another comcast person may use goes against your data usage and then you have to pay for it???? That's a BIG problem!!!!! I see a HUGE window for people to jump on other's connections and data steal. If you don't believe me, check on your available networks. You'll see one that has no password. Then do some research, you'll see that comcast does this to all their internet customers.

Bronze Problem Solver

@alhoyt wrote:

And not to forget, that Comcast keeps a portion of your wireless services on YOUR wireless router for any other comcast customer to use. So I wonder if THAT portion that another comcast person may use goes against your data usage and then you have to pay for it???? That's a BIG problem!!!!! I see a HUGE window for people to jump on other's connections and data steal. If you don't believe me, check on your available networks. You'll see one that has no password. Then do some research, you'll see that comcast does this to all their internet customers.

No you will not add up data from another customer using your Xfinity hotspot that data goes against the customer that signed into your hotspot. Anyway you should just disable the hotspot it serves no purpose for your home. 

Expert

The public WiFi hotspot data usage does not count towards the host's consumption.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Pardon the echo Jim. Didn't see your reply before I posted.

Bronze Problem Solver

@EG wrote:

Pardon the echo Jim. Didn't see your reply before I posted.

Never a issue !!!

Regular Contributor

here is the site which gives directions on signing up for unlimited data

1-877-807-6581

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/exp-unlimited-enroll

Contributor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

I have AT&T as my cellular provider n when I signed up with them in 08' it was unlimited DATA.......years later they went with caps as well, but only for new customers.......their current customers were "grandfathered" in n were allowed to stay with unlimited data..........

AT&T advised that if/when the customer decided to modify their plan, they would forfite the unlimited data n be placed in cap'ed plans...

i think that Comcast should also implement this policy for ther loyal costomers!

I'm in Miami Florida and after readying this thread, I feel fortunate to have been given the option to pay $30 for unlimited

i stream allot of Netflix and Amazon Prime everyday 

I'm roughly at 10 to 12 GB's daily.......n that's watching what I stream.........I've gone to 1,147!

comcast has up'ed my blast speed a few times this year n claim that I should have 70mps, but I get around 38-42 on speed test app....

New Poster

If Comcast is changing their policies that only helps their bottom line, the customer should be able to create new service level agreements (SLA) that provides them better services. I typically have 20+ hours of outages a month and Comcast does not reimburse me for lost internet connectivity. Customer service will argue that the outages are out of their control and no reimubursement is possible which is a comlete lie -- I live in a unique area of the US and other utilities provide specific details when any type of outage occurs -- Comcast doesn't have backup power to their equipment along the route to our area which is the main reason they have outages in our area almost everyday. Comcast needs to create a fair SLA that provides customers compensation when their services do not meet reasonable standards then you can start charging additional fees based on a magic usage number.

Frequent Visitor

I just signed up for the unlimited data option for $35 a month.  I usually go over the 300GB limit and paying another $35 to not have to worry about it is worth it to me.  I'm in Atlanta.

New Poster

There is no reason for this Data cap. It's an old infastructure as it is, and comcast is not by any means doing badly as far as financials are concerned, not to mention they also harvest your data. This is merely a new business strategy to take advantage of customers to make the company more money. Not to mention comcast has a monopoly in many areas. This is something the FCC will need to get involved with, this is horrible business practice and it needs to be stopped. In this day in age with 4k media becoming mainstream, 300gb is nothing. With the rise of Twitch streaming at mostly HD quality, this is a huge problem.

Contributor

Nothing will happen until an attorney takes notice n gets involved.....the FCC? Am sure Comcast has friends there....

New Poster

Data Limit???

I am having issues with the newly implemented limits placed on my account. I have the fastest internet offered in my area 150 Mbps and I have a limit now of 300GB a month. Does comcast know how quickly I can burn through that?

What's worst is every time I call support about the messages that I am getting on the 18th of the month because I have already burned through my limit with my kids watching all their online content, support keeps putting me back on the queue for the next person or dropping the line. No one wants to deal with it!

I can't wait for Google Fiber to get to my area so I not deal Comcast anymore.

Google Fiber: https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/3013418?hl=en

ISP's: https://gigaom.com/2012/10/01/data-caps-chart/

New Poster

Frequent Visitor

I made sure to go over the 300 GB cap this month to see what would happen and I received a phone call telling me I've went over and now I receive a popup from Comcast on my computer about every 30 seconds telling me I've went over as well. The popups never stop. I have to deal with them until the end of the month as they keep interupting my work. I chatted with support again this morning to confirm I will not be charged and they said that was correct. No charges until after this 3 month period.

Sadly, my data usage meter still does not work and it's been 19 days. No chat or CSA support person has been able to figure out why it doesnt work and that I need to call or chat whenever I want to ask what my usage is.

New Poster

Comcast is being really greedy with all this bs. I have three kids and all they watch is YouTube Lego videos. And I'm also a online gamer not addicted but I play when I feel the need. Oct1-Oct19 2015 I've already used 235mb of data. This is definately not gonna work for me. If they wanted to do a data cap start it new where you do it with new customers your selling ur product to. Don't do it to customers that have been with you for how many years😠😠
Frequent Visitor

Exactly. That's the main reason my family still has AT&T for our cell phones. We are still grandfathered in with unlimited data. As soon as they remove people from that we will switch to a better company. If they were putting the cap on new customers, then I wouldn't ever be tempted to switch from Comcast. Putting the cap on those of us already paying a high price for internet is not going to make us want to stay. If anything, I'll cancel my Comcast services and lower my internet speed so that I can pay for unlimited data and not have it be more expensive that I have now.

Though, AT&T in my area has a 750 GB cap, so....

Contributor

There's no need for caps.....caps is just another way for companies to make $!

Banks have been doing it for years......with overdraft fee......insufficient funds fees......out of network ATM fees, etc!

I stayed with AT&T mobility cause they did the right thing n cap'ed new customers only

Comcast doesn't care about loyalty,,,,,,,n neither will I when I leave them...

As soon as the 3 month ride is over, I'm out!

It's the principle of the thing.....

Like my first boss always told me......hit'em were it hurts......in their pocket book!

i came from AT&T n I'll go back to AT&T! Soon.....!

Regular Visitor

300gb Data Usage

Hey guys,

I have a really serious question about the service I recently ordered.  I got the Blast 105, along with some cable channels for a decent amount per/mo because I'm in an "xfinity community."

Long story short, I had NO idea there was a data limit.  Maybe I'm stupid but I never saw anything about a 300gb cap, until I saw a commercial for Time Warner saying it has ZERO limits to data.

So, I would say my usage is fairly heavy.  I play A LOT of games online, on my pc.  My girlfriend does aswell, so basically everything that I say I'm doing, add her in aswell for doing the exact same thing.

Netflix - I would say constantly, whenever we were at home at out old place we'd use it for background noise, of course this is an easy habit to break.  However, I'd say we'd still watch a heavy amount of it, somewhere in the 20-30 hour a week range.  Maybe more maybe less, I'm not sure I never honestly kept count between work.

Gaming - We game more than anything else.  I'm constantly playing some MMO, when not at work or out and about.  So I would place Casually playing MMOs as our highest occuring activity daily.  I'm talking about 4-5 hours a day maybe more. (Lazy days off, probably all day if not going to the beach or have plans).  Also keep in mind it's two people gaming as we usually play together.

Youtube/twitch - This won't mostly be an issue, I don't watch much youtube, besides the occasional trailer.  I mainly would stream twitch from my cellphone with the LTE, which I will still probably use because I happen to still have the old Sprint unlimited plan.  However there are times that I actually do watch Twitch on my computer, like when there is a big tournament, or a news conference.  That kind of thing.

That's pretty much it.  As far as downloading goes we have everything large downloaded already such as the MMO's we play and such.  (20+gb downloads for the game.)  However, when i new game does come out (Fallout 4) I will download and install it on my Pc.

So tell me, now that you see how much of internet addicts we are, is 300gb anywhere NEAR enough for us?  I saw that we get sort of a grace period for about 3 months where they don't change me for overages.  However, if it's pretty evident that I'm going to exceed it, I'm going to try to find a better option.  

I originally wanted the Blast 105, but the faster speed seems like it would make me hit my 300gb even faster than I would just using the base Performance 50.

Tell me your opinions guys, do you think this is going to be an issue?  Also please no judging on how much of internet addicts and nerds we are.

Thanks in advance!

New Poster

Re: 300gb Data Usage

I intend on cutting their service as well. I don't mind DSL just so Comcast loses.