Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Frequent Visitor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

What I would like clarified is what all is considered DATA. I mean I have a rough idea but would like to see it in print here. Defined if you will. I do not like to assume anything. So far glancing at this thread I see everyting from Netflix to downloading pitures or other things. But if I am to monitor myself and my families data usage I would like it defined clearly.

Chief

Frequent Visitor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

As the comcast commercial against ATT & Direct TV goes Limbs, Weather, etc. my cable drops off every now and then on a bright sun shinny day for up to 5 minutes. Tech came out and checked my system out and replace one part but it continues to do this. Lost it for one day once but they compensated me for it.

With no disprepect to all the hard working people at Comcast, I do not buy the soft sell for this DATA usage thing. They say that due to new inovation and such that they have to do this. When in fact it smacks of corparate haveing to figure a way to generate more revenue ofr their stock holders.

Now if this opinion is to disparing then I suspect this post will go away quickly. But it sure will not help with customer relations if that is even a concern.

Chief

Expert

@ChiefRedCloud wrote:

What I would like clarified is what all is considered DATA. I mean I have a rough idea but would like to see it in print here. Defined if you will. I do not like to assume anything. So far glancing at this thread I see everyting from Netflix to downloading pitures or other things. But if I am to monitor myself and my families data usage I would like it defined clearly.

Chief

While not the answer you are looking for, you can estimate your data usage using the calculator here:  http://datacalculator.comcast.net/index.html

This gives some basic idea of what is considered usage...

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I just downloaded/installed an excellent program that helps tracks where, what and how much data is being transferred as well as it's bandwidth. It's called GlassWire, and even in the last three hours of surfing I incurred 64.7 MB just by viewing web pages that use Hypertext...Which includes every page as HyperTextMarkupLanguage is how the Internet is primarily based upon...

So yeah, a simple 9 hour surfing session could rack up at least 192 mb of data, and this is not even considering video or hard data downloaded to your HDD, so just think of surfing with a 75mbs+ connection, and you'll begin to see why there's a marked concern over these data caps and the threat they represent towards the average monthly household budget in such a sluggish economy, that just might get worse...

Frequent Visitor

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

I'm with you! I'm calling tomorrrow. Just had another run in with their customer don't care rep in billing. Let's just say she was a female canine!!!!

New Poster

Re: 300gb Internet Cap

I think it is silly to start charging customer if we went over the usage of 300 data.  All internet providers should be unlimited and now we have to pay up for more data?  That should go to the cell phone companies not the internet provider.  We use the intenet for our daily use. .  

New Poster

What's Up With the 300GB Limit???

I recently moved and to my surpriise, I got an email from Xfinity that I was nearing a 300GB limit on my internet usage!  I came from an area where Xfinity had no limit.  Are there any customer protest groups I should join???  I gave me a "deal" on a triple play bundle, raised my speed to 125 mbps but now, I have to pay $10 per 50 gb over.  I don't care if I have a grace period of 3 months.  Our family uses a LOT of streaming services.

New Poster

Data Cap

Why has Comcast imposed a 300GB data limit?  When I signed a two year agrrement this was not part of the agrrement.  This seems like a great opportunity for a Class Action Lawsuite against Comcast.  We need some competition here.  COME ON GOOGLE FIBER!!!!! 

New Poster

So, this might be a dumb question...but how do I check my data usage? I'm not seeing the option anywhere on my Xfinity account (mobile or desktop version), and it doesn't appear on my bill.
Thanks
Frequent Visitor

Supposedly under Account Management, there is a meter plugin, but typical COMCAST doesn't always work.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

Byt the way they filter the names. More content filtering by the big bad "C".

Frequent Visitor

Nope. I dont give up.

Frequent Visitor

Screw it. I'll just hack the modem or change it.

Frequent Visitor

matter of opinion and what you watch COmcast on Demand or Netflix. At least on Netflix, the British movies close the door and you don't have to hurriedly turn off the TV when a kid walks into the room or keep trying to fast forward through it to get to a story line. TV is turning into flith.

Frequent Visitor

matter of opinion and what you watch At least on NF, the British movies close the door and you don't have to hurriedly turn off the TV when a kid walks into the room or keep trying to fast forward through it to get to a story line. TV is turning into flith.

Regular Visitor

Re: Data Cap

I just wonder what data Comcast means by the new Data Plan. There are no guidelines for how one can manage data usage.  Their response was  to "use less data"!!! What does that mean?? There are no definitions of "data use" activities, so I assume anything I do online is using data.  What world are we living in?  I am considering dropping Comcast completely and subscribing to a dedicated internet company that doesn't deal in data charges such as what Comcast is doing.  I have been with Comcast ever since I moved to Tennessee.  I have their 3 bundle program: tv, internet, and phone.  Plus I subscribe to their monthly maintenance program.  

My first month into their new money making scheme and I am already having to pay extra even though I have done NOTHING any differently than I have been doing for years.  Only now, they want more money.  It is a lawsuit waiting for class action.  I am done with Comcast.  

Contributor

DATA. Means any information that travels to/from your location. If there is an electronic pulse. The meter increases. If you search for a web site, the meter increase, When your machines talk to other machines outside of your home. When you post in this thread, when you stream comcast TV shows, When you click refresh, any activity you do useing ur Comcast internet connection. As a matter of fact. Your computer/devices still talk online even when ur not useing it. 

If you dont want this to happen. Turn your PC off. Oh wait. Your comcast modem/router/gateway still talk even if there isnt any devices connected to it. So turn it off too. And guess what. Youll still see some data useage.

So any signals that come from and/or go to you is metered.

Ever look at the power useage meter on the side of your house? Turn all ur lights off. Cut the main breaker, and that meter still slowly turns.

So I reckon. any electron that moves is metered.

Ok. Gotta go pay my 300 dollar bill now so I can post this message. Have a good day everyone.

New Poster

Just went through the last month doing my normal activities which entail of downloading (legal) videogames, streaming from Netflix, Amazon, etc., streaming music, backing up pictures to the cloud, and watching TV and I am at 311GB.  So I looked to see what other ISPs I can go to and the answer is ZERO.  There are no other ISPs in my area. This is a monopoly at its finest.  Congratulations Comcast for winning biggest turd of the year.  This should be illegal especially if there's no other ISP you can switch to.

Frequent Visitor

I thought, so forgive me for doing that, this was still in it's "trial" stage here in Georgia. I guess not or I will see when I check my bill for this past month. Strange. Looking at my data usage for the last three months  I never went over 200 Gigs till this month and now I'm about 50 gigs over the 300. Yet as far as I can see noone in my family has done anything differantly than those other three months. Conspiracy? No. I just don't understand is all. We're all assuming that Comcast has a clear understanding of all this. But they haven't even figured out how to keep their NEW X-1 systems going without problems.

Sp like our government, we have no choice other than to take it or go some where else. I've recieved a lot of good help from Comcast personel and some not so good as well. I guess we're all just a little bit peeved at the added cost for what is obviously just a means to squeez more money out of us. I'll give this 300 data thing another month and then decide what I must do for me and my family.

Chief

Contributor

I was trying to upgrade to El Capitan yesterday, and it occurred to me that downloadin it on two machines would take up 12GB (the upgrade is about 6GB ) of my 300GB cap, and with my household averaging about 290GB a month, I can't upgrade without going over the cap. This is like being on dial-up. You're afraid to download anything too large because it impacts your internet experience. You would think in 2015, downloading large files over the internet wouldn't be so stressful.

Can not wait until Google Fiber is finally available here.

Frequent Visitor

A couple of questions to ask COMCAST each and every time you speak with CS/TS or file a complaint with the FCC/FTC:

1) What time period was used to determine that 300G (for us in Tucson...) was a most generous limit above which we would get charged? Was this data from 3 years ago that is clearly not representative of "most" users in October of 2015?

2) Why do we get charged for higher speeds when we have a data cap? We pay more for the privelege to exceed quicker with higher and more expensive speeds an arbitrary cap? How does that make any sense?

3) Why do the "tools" provided to check usage, desktop, and COMCAST site, differ wildly when checked within moments of each other?

4) Exactly when is the actual cut of date/time for your location? For me it is 7 hours before midnight on the last day of the month? How does that make any sense since I can't even know with certainty at that time what my exact usage is?

Shame Comcast, shame.

I am hopeful you will get regulated soon....

Frequent Visitor

Ok. This is where I got. After my "ugly" posts and calls to the U.S., I finally got the scoop that if you change to X1 service, which is faster and doesn't cost anything more, the 300GB limitation goes away. They also gave me a $30 discount on my bill.

I guess sometimes it pays to gripe. I'll let you know how it goes once I get the new wireless gateway and router and have to program it.

Mike

Frequent Visitor

Wait a sec, where are you located? I have X1 and still have a cap?

Bronze Problem Solver

What you were told is simply not true. 

Regular Contributor

Yea the only way around the cap in my area of Atl is to go Business class which is 150-200 more a month for the same speeds I have now.

Frequent Visitor

I got the email yesterday about our 300 GB cap in South Florida. I'm pretty frustrated since that's not what I signed up to have, but whatever, it's Comcast..  I'll be cancelling my TV and home phone with them in a couple of months when my plan expires and then dropping my internet speed to fit a "need" rather than a "want". I'm not paying $30 more (for unlimited) just to have the same internet plan I've been playing for already.. I've checked with AT&T and for the same price I pay now the speed is a little bit slower, but I'll get 750 GB a month. I mean...4.4 hours of Netflix (HD) a day breaks the 300 GB cap. That's not even with normal internet usage.

It's amazing that a cap is being turned on and yet I'm asked to pay the same amount that I have been for unlimited and then being asked to pay MORE to continue the same plan I'm on now. It's also ironic that I get the "We're sorry. We can't load your internet usage meter right now." when I try to monitor my usage on the website.

Bronze Problem Solver

That's strange unless something is different in Fla AT&T has a lower cap then Comcast 250 GB a month. 

Frequent Visitor

I just did an online chat with AT&T and they have different caps for different plans. The 45 Mbps plan has the 750 GB cap.

Regular Contributor

From all reports ATT does not enforce their cap, never heard anyone getting cut off or charged more with ATT. To bad their service sucks in my area they top out at 12MBPS which isn't even tehcnically broadband anymore.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

That's a decent cap for that speed. Even though it is half the speed of what I'm getting now with Comcast I'd switch to ATT for a cap like that. ATT does not offer that kind of speed to my house though.

Frequent Visitor

I could be wrong and 300 GB could be just fine (which I highly doubt it is), but I'm more frustrated that I signed up with Comcast knowing there was no cap, and now that there is I'm still going to be charged the same price, not a cheaper rate due to a cap.

Frequent Visitor

I feel like we're a pretty average family of four, of course we stream Netflix and we do a little downloading although nothing approaching what i'd consider excessive (no torrents, for example, and no VoIP services) and I have gone over the limit every month since July. I'm already at 13gb for this month, so it's a pretty safe bet that I will go over again.

So here's the deal Comcast: If I wind up having to pay for data usage, I will switch back to AT&T. I don't care if it's slower. I don't care about your TV. I didn't sign up for a data cap and I refuse to stand by and accept it.

Just ask AT&T how throttling their "unlimited" cell data connections has worked out for them. 

Regular Visitor

Since this new data plan trial for Florida went into effect on October 1st, this morning (Oct 2nd), I decided to check my usage.  I am at 11 GB...in one day (no one is home today and no devices are in use, I assume that this is only for October 1st).  I looked back at my usage for the past 3 months (July 1-Sept 30) and my average for those 92 days was 5.86 GB per day

Nothing out of the ordinary was done yesterday (typical kids iPad streaming, no large Windows 10 / iOS updates, etc).  I find it very odd and extremely convenient that my usage on the day that this '"Trial" begins, my daily usage nearly doubled.

At this rate, I will exceed the 300GB before the end of the month and will be billed for the additional blocks of data (note: my highest usage during those 3 months was 202GB in August)

I will be closely monitoring this in October....

UPDATE:  As of October 4th, I am at 45 GB of usage (average 11.25 GB per day).  How is it possible that daily usage in October has doubled from the previous 3 months' average??  Is anyone else seeing similar results?

New Poster

New XFINITY "trial" data plans...

Dear Comcast Executives,

I have only just now read your latest proposal on how to revolutionize the method in which you choose to monetize the providing of Internet to your loyal customers, and, frankly, I am disgusted that you would even think to become like phone service providers (which I already despise) by putting an arbitrary limit and additional fees on your customers just to make a profit on something which has no good reason to limit in the first place. I am a computer engineer; I know how the Internet works, and "data usage" is not a real thing - bandwidth is, but that's something else, entirely. Data usage was invented by phone service companies in order to make money off of the uninformed masses, and now the rest of us are stuck with that model because there is no better alternative in sight. You even write in the letter: "The majority of XFINITY customers use less than 300 GB of data in a month, and therefore will not be affected by these changes," so, in essence, the only people who will now have to pay more are the people who actually use your service. If this doesn't affect most people anyway, why bother implementing this change? All it does is make people like myself, less inclined to continue using your service, and instead switch to a different ISP that doesn't put such silly restrictions on their customers. AT&T is starting to look better and better right about now, but where do I go once they start implementing this too, huh? I want no involvement in this "trial" and hope you discontinue this monopoly scheme immediately, or I will have no choice but to take my business elsewhere or to create new competition.

Please don't punish your most faithful customers for using a service that you provided to begin with, and instead take the money we are already more than willing to give (and have already given) you and just make a better service for everyone, so that there is no "need" to limit the heavy users in the first place. If you really are that desparate for cash, which I know you are not, just raise the cost of everybody's data plan. If you want to continue getting more money from people like myself, do not crucify us for using your service more often than someone who probably doesn't even know how to use a computer anyway. I am already paying more to have faster speed, so why should I now also have to pay even more on top of that, just because I then actually use it?

So, from the bottom of my heart, I say this to you: fire whoever thought up this dumb scheme to rob your customers of their hard-earned wages, and instead make your customers glad they are giving money to you and not to your competetors. You catch more flies with honey, so they say. Whether or not you realize this - and you obviously do - you have a monopoly in a lot of areas. Please think like rational humans and not like greedy animals; what you are trying to do will ruin the sanctity of the Internet.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Human Being

New Poster

Re: New XFINITY "trial" data plans...

I am in Florida, Miami to be specific. not only did I get the email at 5:00 pm on the day this CAP was starting, I had a hard time accessing my usage meter at that time.
Nevertheless I was able to get to it and saw that I had used 4 gigs of Data.
Today I took the day of today 10/2. To do some work at home. Streamed 2 movies and browsed the internet. (Email, Pay bills etc).  and checked my usage again at 5:00 pm. I had used 7 gigs.. ?????

The day before I streamed multiple episodes from Amazon, watched couple of Netflix Movies and even worked from home connected to my office via Webtop RDP for about 9 hours.. and my total was 4 gigs only.....

Do I believe this is a scheme to make more money ? yes; Do I believe now their data metering tools will Err on their favor.. of course I Do..
I can't trust a company that changes the TOS of a contract; and still force you to pay ETFs if you want to terminate. ALl the talk about the "the fine print on the contract allows us to implement polocies to enhance our service " is just  BS. Any good lawyer will have a field day with them.
I am sad that I recommended Comcast to several family members recently; and now they are all stuck with a company that has a higher desire for profits that for customer satisfaction.
you want to better your service ? Don't change your TOS in the middl eof the contract; don't play your customers for fulls, stopy the free WIFI out of peoples Routers.. which uses more bandwith.. Ask your customers if they prefer same price, unlimited data , or data CAP so you can maintain your WIFI and try to recover your cable TV profits been lost to streaming...
and yeah.. already contacted my Congressman and FCC.. Ready now to open a Blog dedicated for this. not to mention Social Media and PodCasts planned by my and several of my friends...
good luck Comcast.. you should de-regulate your cable business from your internet business...
I can hear the cash register at ATT ringing with all the folks leaving your guys and going to them...

short Sided Management.. always kills the good companies...  and you wonder why we can't compete globally...

New Poster

$854.54 for 1,137GB...

Frequent Visitor

I'm pretty sure the reason they are doing this is to see how it effects "cord cutters" and the amount of streaming we/they do. If I have to start limiting the amount of content that I stream per day with Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc, then it's supposed to make their TV service look better and cheaper than paying overage fees. Of course, we can all get TV somewhere else as well, so I'm it's a bit mind boggling if that's the reason.

Frequent Visitor

So check this out..

I was frustrated that I couldn't access my data usage meter and decided to start a chat session with customer service. I spoke with "Mary" and I was told "this is because of the suspension placed on your account since you have reach the 3 times allowable data usage overage"...  I asked why my account was placed under a suspension and how did I exceed a 300 GB limit if the cap started October 1 and I was told that "You have give the cap because for the past three month you exceeded the data usage on your account"..  Apparently I have went over 300 GB the past 3 months and because of that I have lost access to monitor my own data usage and must call "the CSA team on this number 1-877-807-6581" every time I want to check my usage.

So, because I was under the impression there was no cap before October 1 (since I was never notified of one), received an email specifically stating that the cap did not start until October 1, and I exceeded the 300 GB cap 3 times, I have been placed under a suspension, have lost access to my data usage meter, and when I asked why my internet speed is rarely over 30 Mbps (when I pay for 100), she would not answer me and kept referring me to talk to CSA.

This is BS.

Contributor

As one Comcast customer to another facing data caps / overage charges, I'd advise the following path to ensuring quick usage charge waivers and resolution.

• Use Comcast's chat support service rather than over the phone support to request a waiver. The chat support service is recordable and Comcast provides a transcript function as part of the chat support service.  It also allows you to avoid endless phone trees and direct the conversation without listening to interminable empathy and apology scripts.

• File a complaint with the FCC every month regarding data caps. Use the chat support service transcript as part of your documentation.  It took me 4 minutes to file.  Comcast must respond to every complaint filed.  Comcast, in most cases, will waive charges as opposed to carrying the costs of further engagement with the customer and FCC.

• Cc your municipal council and government on all correspondence.  Your hometown is interested in making itself attractive (and increase the local tax digest) to knowledge workers (aka heavy internet users).  If a neighboring town has better and unlimited internet options, it is likely to be a factor in housing purchases.  
New Poster

Well I just got my letter yesterday! Comcast put me on a data cap of 300GB and suggested I “upgrade” my internet to an unlimited plan for $30.00 more … LOL … I already pay $84.95 for the so called Blast+ and now my bill is likely to become $114.95 because I use internet across many devices and computers. They have been trying for the longest to bump my bill with TV and Alarm System and I kept telling them that I did not need any Cable Box because I am using Netflix, and alarm wise I am using ADT. Right after my negative answer Netflix started to be real bad and even my online gaming experience went real bad. I thought it was my router that was maybe obsolete so I invested in a $300 AC router + $200 AC Repeater only to realize Netflix is still terrible. Funny thing though, the internet is actually much faster everywhere else on the other devices. I called Comcast and told them that I do not see on my initial contract from 2008 that I would be put on a Data Plan and That I am not happy at all with this decision. The lady on the phone, a manager, told me to cancel my account and see how I’d like the internet with ATT, the only other solution where i live. I do believe this is pure abuse but what can I do? I already spent 76GB in 5 days so I will be charged more money unless I do pay more money as well to upgrade to the “unlimited” plan … whatever then …

Regular Contributor

As a user with a cap in ATL I would LOVE to be able to pay 30$ a month more for unlimited. I have ZERO choice here besides paying 150$ more a month for the same service moving to business class.

I filed an FCC complaint and the letter comcast sent me was a joke, they said these caps give users more of a choice which is BS, I have no choice but to act like a dictator about bandwidth in my house. No choice to pay 30$ a month for unlimited, no choice to have higher speed tiers have a higher cap, no choice to stream HD video on a regular basis.

Contributor

As a soon to be former Comcast customer in Atlanta, I also received my first overage charge for $100 (plus the $50 I already pay for internet 'service') this month.  I found the most effective way to deal with Comcast was to use their chat feature and then download the transcript. I was able to get the chat person to give me a $100 overage fee waiver. Then I filed a complaint with the FCC about data caps / net neutrality using the chat transcript as part of my documentation.  I also notified my Mayor and Town Council about the adverse effects of having monopolistic ISPs on home values which they seemed to readily understand. After all what millennial would want to move to Dunwoody when Sandy Springs has Google Fiber?  The whole process took me about 30 minutes end to end with most of it waiting on Comcast Chat to type replies to my questions.  I immediately signed up with super crappy AT&T U-verse for 15Mbs (top speed!) service for $39 a month and will cut off all Comcast services tomorrow after a few discussions with the Comcast ESLs about creditting me further for wasting my time.  I can't have data caps when I want to Netflix and chill so I'll sacrifice speed for no cap.  

Bronze Problem Solver

AT&T Uverse has a 250 GB a month data cap as well some say they are not actively enforcing it but that can and will change at any time. They also charge 10.00 for each additional 50 GB block you go over just like Comcast. Good Luck ! 

How much data is included in my AT&T Internet service?

Residential AT&T High Speed Internet service includes 150 gigabytes GB of data each billing period, and most residential AT&T U-verse High Speed Internet service (up to 75 Mbps) includes 250GB of data each billing period

If you exceed your data plan in any subsequent billing period, we'll provide you with an additional 50GB of data for $10. You'll be charged $10 for every incremental 50GB of usage beyond your plan.

Contributor

I was aware of this but luckily I recorded the sales call in which they said that they do not have data limits should I have to file a complaint with the FCC.  AT&T does not enforce data caps.  Google Fiber will be here before AT&T decides to flirt with data caps.  The idea of muncipal provided internet service doesn't seem like a dumb idea anymore.  Who's going to move to Ogden when Provo has Google Fiber?

Bronze Problem Solver

@chriva wrote:

I was aware of this but luckily I recorded the sales call in which they said that they do not have data limits should I have to file a complaint with the FCC.  AT&T does not enforce data caps.  Google Fiber will be here before AT&T decides to flirt with data caps.  The idea of muncipal provided internet service doesn't seem like a dumb idea anymore.  Who's going to move to Ogden when Provo has Google Fiber?

Never believe what a service rep tells you.Comcast has never admitted to usage caps to anyone who has signed up for service dispite the fact many have asked the question i doubt AT&T would be any different. That said good luck with your new service personally i think data caps on residential accounts should be illegal with what they already charge for the service. 

Contributor

I'm guessing that David Cohen doesn't have a wife, children, multiple 4k TVs, Sonos, Nest, Security Cams, and of course he would never watch Netflix or Amazon.  The data cap is throughly unreasonable and disruptive to any persons internet experience that has any of the above.

"To be clear, we have no plans to announce a new data usage policy. In 2012, we suspended our 250 GB data cap in order to conduct a few pilot programs that were more customer friendly than a static cap. Since then, we’ve had no data caps for any of our customers anywhere in the country. We have been trialing a few flexible data consumption plans, including a plan that enables customers who wanted to use more data be given the option to pay more to do so, and a plan for those who use less data the option to save some money. We decided to implement these trials to learn what our customers’ reaction is to what we think are reasonable data consumption plans. We certainly have no interest in adopting any plans that our customers find unreasonable or disruptive to their Internet experience."
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/05/16/comcast-facing-backlash-walks-back-data-caps-comments/#3hOt...
Contributor

I refuse to give in to this abuse of customers by a relatively unregulated utility monopoly.  On principle alone, I'm moving to crappy $39  AT&T 12 Mbs service with unenforced caps.  If I didn't have that option or they start up with the caps I would go to satellite internet like exede that also has no data caps (or speed for that matter) but at least it has tons of competition and good customer service. Comcast is effectively ruining cities (and the United States in general) that have no other real broadband ISPs.  You'd think the municipal governments would realize that cost effective unlimited gigabit internet is more important than nearly any other factor in this day and age.  You'd think the US Federal Government would realize how crippling data caps are when compared to other 'world' powers that enjoy unlimited giga bit internet for less than $35-$40 per month like Latvia and South Korea.  Furthermore, Comcast is perpetuating the digital divide by enabling that only the rich 1TB a month consumers can freely access whatever they want while the poor must constrain their monthly data to 5GB (or 0.5% of the rich TB consumers) to receive the lowest rate - good luck watching a Nova show in HD kid - grainy 160p and unable to read text will suffice for you.  You'd think that Obama would be on top of this discrimination but I haven't seen any mention.   Would anyone move to Austin Texas if dial up or dsl was the only option?  Heck, no.  But now that Google Fiber is there along with 3 other high speed providers it's a very appealing place to live.   No one is going to want to come to Dunwoody Georgia when neighboring Sandy Springs and Brookhaven have unlimited giga bit Google Fiber while Dunwoody is held hostage by Comcast with data caps. Unfortunately our current mayor is either too dim to understand this or has failed to communicate any go forward plan on bringing in multiple unlimited high speed providers to ensure that are many alternatives to Comcast.  Luckily there is an election coming up.  We will quickly see which municipal governments have the foresight to understand the impact of data caps from monopoly ISPs and increase their tax digests and which ones don't have a clue.

Contributor

New Poster

So my area just 'opted-in' to the new data caps......lucky us!  Strangely though, I somehow used 88GB while my family was out of the country on vacation.  Maybe criminals have turned to breaking into people homes to avoid data overage charges!!

I turned on full logging of my activity so I have an accurate view of my data usage, not that it will make any difference once I hit their fictional cap because i'm sure it will be a case of "our numbers say this".  

Time to switch before that happens, really wish Google were in the area.

Regular Contributor

Re: XRE-03062 on recordings?

I was going to post that my DVR is finally operating correctly and nothing that was saved was lost when I heard Clark Howard on WSBTV Atlanta, our local news, talk about Comcast going start putting caps on data useage. Check out their Facebook page and watch the news report.

After you use a certain amount, you'll get a notice, the time you use as much, you'll be billed for the "excessive usage". OMG

It's being tested in a couple of states in the south including Atlanta and in a couple of other cities. The details are on WSBTV'so Facebook page.

Unreal, the article talks about Comcast concern for their Internet users that use the service to stream videos and TV programing.

How much money does Comcast have to make?