Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Official Employee

Re: Complain about Data Cap

Hello stopoverchargin,

Due to the nature of your concerns, I have forwarded your e-mail to our Customer Security Assurance department. They will look over the issue and will be contacting you in 24-72 hours. If you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach back out to us.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@stopoverchargin wrote:

I just filed a complaint with the FCC about the unreasonable rate increase of 50%.

There is an open thread on this topic here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Comcast-Usage-Plans-Data-Caps/td-p/2493702/jump-to/fir...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

That would mean using the search feature
Contributor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Lets argue data limits. cuase data limits is whats stopping things. doesnt matter how fast u get to ur limit or not. its the fact that households reach said limits regarless of price and time taken to reach limit.

U wanna argue price fine. I spend 300 bucks a month. Whys my limit the same as the average joe whom spends 100 bucks a month? 

anyways. thats not why im posting today.

Called comcast. Was asking about the unlimited data program the have. At least I though they have. Its 2:46 PM now. FIrst thing the lady ask me is. *SIR are you useing netflix?* I respond. Whats netflix have to do with it? THey respond. *Becuase it uses data* I responds. Netflix shouldnt have anything to do with. They use data, Hulu uses data. Even the streaming site that comcast offers to its cstomers uses data. hmmm*

Guess im cuaght in Comcast marketing crossfire of trying to crush other companies and useing those compaines as an escape goat for why my data gets burned. Personaly. Im a gamer. I game. BUt I have a house hold of five rooms with service not to mention, laptops, tablets, cell phones, pcs, ect. all connected to one gatway. Everything combined burns its fair share. We are in the data age right? Guess some CEO didnt get the memo. But the only responds is. *WEll Sir. Netflix will burn your data up.* Ok. Well. WHEN. and I mean WHEN. I. I mean I. Watch TV. I mainly stream from Comcasts Xfinity site. She didnt have anything to say about that. SHe was more focused on Netflix.

Moving on. So she gives me a number to call 877-807-6581  Says they are only open untill 2PM. Great. Its 2:50PM now. What a way to blow me off when I called them out. So I will call them Friday BEFORE 2PM and see what they have to say. (Note. This number is suppose to be about no data cap plan thats faster then the X1 program.) Being skeptical here. They are prob gonna give me some reason of why they dont want to give me this plan and would preffer there control of what I GET to do or what they will ALLOW me to do.

I do find it funny that. In just about every city google said they where gonna come to. Comcast now has a TEST MARKET setup in. Go Figure. 

Lets do some math. Average User spends what. 175 bucks a month. Nashville has a population of about 658,602. Lets say halve that is with comcast. leaves 329,301. Lets call those comcast peeps. so that times 175 bucks equals 57,627,675 BUCKS. They are makeing ALOT of money off of screwing us around. Thats each month also. One would think one could afford no data caps. BUT If a free internet service comes in an offers a better service then what one charges. Then they loose a whole city. There goes those millions. 

THERE IS NO EXCUSSE. Our wallets are being milked (I had a better word for this. But they wont let me post it). FCC will NOT do anything about it as long as comcast doesnt go nation wide with this soo called test market thats been ongoing for years.

The only responds will be given when this company wallet takes a sudden drop in revenue. THen and only then will the share holder actualy do somthing. Likely. They sale and cut there losses.

<Violates forum guidelines:http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379>

You just gotta follow the money. That will tell you everything.

<Edited for violating forum guidelines :http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379> You will not get it. By offering them more money. Thats no different the the junk theory. (Feed a person junk. They say thats good. Ill pay for more. <------ pretty stupid. Cough McDonalds.)

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

I believe at this time the unlimited 30.00 a month is in trial in FLA and may not be available to all markets at least right now. Be nice if a official comcast employee could comment on this..  

Contributor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

So I dropped my extreme and go with a lower plan, pay $30 more for unlimited and still come out aheadSmiley Happy
Frequent Visitor

This is unfair.

Why does Florida get the option for unlimited data?

Why I am stuck with 300 GB and no other options?  I would be willing to pay 30$ more for unlimited.  I am sick of tracking how much data I use, especially since the usage meter doesn't work half the time and there is no objective way to track how much data is being used.

Another complaint sent off the FTC.  

Regular Contributor

People are free to vote with their feet and wallet, but I get a huge chuckle out of people announcing they will "go to U-Verse" because of the Comcast cap.

Guess what? U-Verse has a cap as well, and unless they've increased it, it's only 250GB.
Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Post removed due to a deliberate forum language filter circumvention violation. Please do not try to bypass the filter. thank you. Forum Guidelines (which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state Please Don't 2. Use Profanity Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

Administrator
Frequent Visitor

they are doing this to charge more 

that's all

if you pay the extra $30 a month for "unlimited" then all of a sudden your data usage goes back to normal.....

that is deceptive advertising and monoplizing the consumer

Frequent Visitor

OLGA YOLANDA: there are 3 devices listed as INTERNET devices. I only have ONE. the Motorola SB6183 modem. NOT the other two. I want them removd

OLGA YOLANDA: PAC PCRNG110R needs to be REMOVED

OLGA YOLANDA: MHOST DCX3200MR needs to be REMOVED

Kristian: Hi, Olga!

Kristian: I understand that you wanted to have the unlisted modem removed from your account. No worries, I can assist you here on our chat.

OLGA YOLANDA: yes, the PAC PCRNG110R and the MHOST DCX3200MR

OLGA YOLANDA: I do NOT have those, so I do NOT want them (if they are in use somewhere in the country) to affect my data cap

Kristian: Sure, Olga. I can do that for you.

Kristian: Can you please give me 3 - 4 minutes to check on this for you?

OLGA YOLANDA: I mean how did we use 219GB last month?

OLGA YOLANDA: ok

OLGA YOLANDA: our router does NOT match what the comcast "meter" says we used

OLGA YOLANDA: and out router is correct, your meter is NOT correct

Kristian: While waiting, I wanted to let you know about a new feature of our XFINITY Voice service - Readable Voicemail. It's the quick and easy way to check your voicemail. Readable Voicemail from XFINITY converts your XFINITY voicemail messages to text and lets you read them as email — anytime, anywhere. For more information, please visit xfinity.com/readablevoicemail

Kristian: Thank you for patiently waiting.

OLGA YOLANDA: .

Kristian: Olga, as per checking your account. I can see here that PAC PCRNG110R and MHOST DCX3200MR are cable box. They will not affect your data usage.

Kristian: Olga, as per checking your account. I can see here that PAC PCRNG110R and MHOST DCX3200MR are cable box. They will not affect your data usage.

Kristian: Thank you, Olga.

Kristian: Is there anything else I can assist you here on our chat?

OLGA YOLANDA: those are cable boxes so they will NOT affect our data cap AT ALL? Is this correct?

Kristian: Yes, Olga. That is correct.

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR IS THE CABLE BOXES MAKING YOUR DATA USAGE INCREASE

New Poster

I agree with those of you that say hitting their wallet is the only way to get their attention. So I encourage those of you that have AT&T, Verizon or any other option in your area to call their cancellation line at: 1-800-226-2278 and tell them you are leaving unless they do something about the stupid cap. Most often than not they'll go out of their way to accomodate you when you show them that you are willing to walk away. Even if you don't have any other option, call them and tell them how you feel about their practices, flood their call centers with angry calls, it would only take a minute and that will get their attention too. 

Uverse offers up to 45 mbps in my area for about $50 a month and even though they do have a 250 data cap is not currently being enforced. I dislike AT&T nearly as much as Comcast but if they don't do something about the cap I'll cancel asap. 

I will also be posting that cancellation number on facebook and all my other social media accounts to spread the word, I suggest you guys do the same. Comcast expects us to just accept their cap or pay a fee, we can't let them get away with it.  

Regular Contributor

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised at the tantrums people throw on the forum. I don't like caps any more than the next person, but they're a fact in the ISP space.

If you want to take your business elsewhere from Comcast, you have every right to do that. It's a somewhat free country still. We don't need to see proof or get involved in the back story.

From my perspective, there are lots of things in life that annoy me. The key to keeping sane is knowing which ones you can impact and are worth expending energy on.

Comcast has a 300GB cap.in my area. I don't like it but I can't change it, and the $10 or $20 that I might spend in overage charges in a month (and I normally come in under 300G isn't worth my the ruckus and energy. If I go over, I pay. It's a drop in the bucket compared to many other things...like the check I write on April 15 every year.

If it annoys you terribly, then choices exist. Just my possibly contrarian view.
Frequent Visitor

That's the problem for many of us, there are no options but att dsl or Comcast. I've had both. Att is slow, Comcast has a cap.
Contributor

Exactly. Comcast has a lock on high speed, for now. But, they are about to get hit in the wallet big time and I expect to see some changes in the Atlanta area when Google goes live. They are laying the fiber now and service will be available in the Atlanta metro area as well as basically the northeast quadrant within the perimeter. That's a lot of people. I, for one, will be getting it ASAP when it becomes available and will say good bye to Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

I am in the same situation here in Tucson.. Where I live I can choose either centurylink DSL which is horrible or Comcast. We cannot go without internet due to my children's school utilizing online tools. So we are stuck. And Comcast knows that. They don't care about the customer. The head of the company already said that the caps are all money driven to make up for television revenue they are losing. 

New Poster

Limited mega bite usage

Who is happy about Comcast Exfinity's continued avertising about making things faster, more acceptable, blah, blah, blah, while restricting the total # of giga bites you can use in a month. If you ask me, they are a monopoly that continues to offer less for a higher cost.

Regular Visitor

Re: Limited mega bite usage

I knew this was coming to my area and eventually nationwide, once content provider began to offer streaming services and packages Comcast would enforce the data cap, not for technical reason (over usage or abuse) but for profits. Comcast understand that the future lies on streaming services, and their almost require Cable TV service is a dying dinosaur, so to keep you in the loop you either pay more for data usage or subscribe to higher tier service. In my area there're only 2 choices Comcast or AT&T, so basically no competition (I'm screw either way).

Why can they offer a $10 per 100GB with a minimum of $30/300GB package and $0.10 per 1GB there after, I don't need their crappy cable TV service, I mostly watch Hulu/Netflix and my local HDTV channels with a HTPC and tuner.

Already filed a complaint with the FCC but I doubt that it would make much difference, forget about our politician they represent the big corporations like Comcast. We're living on a country where most people respond like cattle in situation like this one, eventually everyone will be paying much more for the same quality service, then Comcast will come out with another trick to milk the cow.

Regular Visitor

Re: Limited mega bite usage

Just wanted to make sure everybody knows that Comcast's own v.p. of Interent services admitted there was no technical reason for the 300 GB cap. He said it is a business decision. http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/08/comcast-vp-300gb-data-cap-is-business-policy-not-technical-n.... It is just a revenue grab.

Regular Contributor

Yep it is completely unfair FLA can pay 30$ a month for unlimited or Tucson bets a 600gb cap for the extreme speed tier. I also filed my second FTC complaint due to this. I just want the same option other comcast customers get.

Regular Contributor

The problem is I can't vote with my wallet. I obsivouly cannot sell my house and move my family because of this and in my area my only choice besides comcast is ATT DSL which maxes out at 12mbps in my area which not even technicqlly broad band.

Frequent Visitor

Does anyone know if using an xfinity wifi hot spot count towards *my* data usage? It's not my home network, but you can only access it with a comcast username and password. I would think not but knowing how comcast treats their customers I would not be surprised.

Contributor

SkyhawkDriver,

Not so much a "tantrum" as a promise to switch to another company as soon as something even close comes into play in my area. Currently there is no realistic choice.

These "tantrums" hopefully show Comcast how many people are not happy with their business decision and encourage them to make a change. I personally think this is worth my time and energy to spend a couple minutes to make my voice heard to see if others will also add their voice. I have read several news articles where Comcast has admitted they know many customers are not happy about the cap so I think the "tantrums" may be having an impact. For me a cap is not the problem as much as the level of the cap being very unrealistic in this day and age.

Also I find it interesting that you find it worth "expending energy" to tell people they are throwing "tantrums." Do you think you can change them? Is it worth your "energy" to do so? I think you have a better chance at influencing Comcast! Hopefully you won't find responding to my reply worth your "ruckus and energy."

@SkyhawkDriver wrote:
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised at the tantrums people throw on the forum. I don't like caps any more than the next person, but they're a fact in the ISP space.

If you want to take your business elsewhere from Comcast, you have every right to do that. It's a somewhat free country still. We don't need to see proof or get involved in the back story.

From my perspective, there are lots of things in life that annoy me. The key to keeping sane is knowing which ones you can impact and are worth expending energy on.

Comcast has a 300GB cap.in my area. I don't like it but I can't change it, and the $10 or $20 that I might spend in overage charges in a month (and I normally come in under 300G isn't worth my the ruckus and energy. If I go over, I pay. It's a drop in the bucket compared to many other things...like the check I write on April 15 every year.

If it annoys you terribly, then choices exist. Just my possibly contrarian view.

Diamond Problem Solver

@jetset516 wrote:

Does anyone know if using an xfinity wifi hot spot count towards *my* data usage? It's not my home network, but you can only access it with a comcast username and password. I would think not but knowing how comcast treats their customers I would not be surprised.

Yes using xfinitywifi hotspots goes against your data usage, if your on a capped area or a suspended cap area.  Otherwise users would be using xfinitywifi to bypass the usage charges.

Frequent Visitor

I dont think that is accurate. When I managed a human on support last week I was told to help bypass some of the cap pain that I can try having devices connect to the xfinitywifi at my home.

Bronze Problem Solver

@itgl72 wrote:

I dont think that is accurate. When I managed a human on support last week I was told to help bypass some of the cap pain that I can try having devices connect to the xfinitywifi at my home.

Who ever you spoke to in support was wrong as already said using any xfinity hot spot DOES count against the account holders usage data. 

Frequent Visitor

I guess I'll just call to find out. I can see where it would count but then again the hotspot signal is VERY....SLOOOWWW... I mean, we're supposed to be on 75mb/sec (of course it's not even near that, *maybe* 55mb) and the wifi is in the 4-5mb/sec range. It's also a very weak signal, even when you're on top of it. Not that it matters, but part of how they're justifying this huge rate hike is that they just increased our speed "at no cost".

Bronze Problem Solver

You dont have to bother calling the rep probably wont know anyway. I can tell you with certainty it does count towards your monthly cap.  Bottom line.. 

Frequent Visitor

This would be an even bigger shocker if they force people to carry the xfinitywifi hotspots connected to their devices AND THEN ON TOP OF THAT, take away from their CAP. I turned mine off, which anyone can do. But out of curiosity, would love to have this confirmed or not. It doesnt help the situation that the cap is wrong. 

Bronze Problem Solver

It only counts to the person that logs into the hotspot not the person or device that provides it. In other words if someone logs on to your hotspot it goes against there data usage not yours. Another example if you gave a friend or family member your user name and password for your comcast account and they loged into a hotspot anyware in the country it would go against your monthy usage. 

New Poster

BTW Comcast does monitor these forums and you guys can bet your butts they are listening. I wrote a very detailed reply to Mr. SkyhawkDriver's comment, explaining to him how these data caps are completely unnecessary from a technical standpoint, the fact that data caps are nonexistent on most industrialized nations and how Comcast's monopolistic practices actually affects the quality of the service they offer us, etc, etc.

The language on the post was appropriate and the information provided was 100% accurate. I was allowed to post my comment but less than 12 hours later it was removed without any explanation or warning.

So not only do they rip us off on a recurrent basis but they are also adding censoship to a very long list of offenses. 

Frequent Visitor

It's very very easy and fast to submit a complaint to FCC and another to the FTC for unfair business practices, re no discount for capped customers vs non-capped, test markets in areas where they have a monopoly and we have no other broadband alternatives.
Frequent Visitor

"BTW Comcast does monitor these forums and you guys can bet your butts they are listening. I wrote a very detailed reply to Mr. SkyhawkDriver's comment, explaining to him how these data caps are completely unnecessary from a technical standpoint, the fact that data caps are nonexistent on most industrialized nations and how Comcast's monopolistic practices actually affects the quality of the service they offer us, etc, etc.

The language on the post was appropriate and the information provided was 100% accurate. I was allowed to post my comment but less than 12 hours later it was removed without any explanation or warning.

So not only do they rip us off on a recurrent basis but they are also adding censoship to a very long list of offenses. "

THAT is absolutely disgusting. Though not surprising knowing their business tactics.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity wifi usage?

If Comcast unsuspends the broadband cap, we will find another internet provider, and will recommend the new internet provider to all of our customers. We already pay enough, and the plans are already capped at a max bandwith throughput. Charging for more bandwidth is nickle and diming and we won't tolerate it.

Frequent Visitor

Actually the 105mbps plan is now 350gb limit in tucson (which we had since blast was 30mbps down in 2013) as it is now the blast tier (even though other areas get 150mbps for blast). The extreme tier had the 650gb data cap but after arguing at the customer service center why they could not upgrade me to the extreme tier but rather I would need to get a business line instead which does not carry a data cap in the first place. They really need to update these caps to the real current day usage and make the 1TB-2TB if they want to target network abusers. Heck since 8/21/2015 I have not even been able to check our usage as it is currently not functioning but I was able to receive the e-mail stating that we were at 100% in the morning of 8/30/2015, meaning we are getting a $10 carge or two on our next bill.

New Poster

This is monopolistic behavior.  They are trying to prevent users from accessing alternate programming like Netflix and Youtube.  The FTC should investigate. 

I cannot find anything on their webpage where they disclose the 300 GB limit.  When I called to complain, they said it was described on their webpage.  After holding for five minutes I was told the representative couldn't find it either.

I will switch when my "grace period" ends.

Contributor

I have been trying to check Data Usage for weeks now and it has not been working.
New Poster

Data Caps

Anybody have any idea when Google Fiber is coming to Mobile, AL??   I'm so sick of hitting my data limits in the middle of the month.   This is BS!!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data Caps

I filed a complaint with the fcc about the 300 gb data limit and today i received a call from comcast about why I am having a problem with the data cap. I told him that it is way to low for 2015. From the impression that i got from this gentleman data caps are here to stay comcast has no plans to remove them.

New Poster

Some people do not have the luxury of choosing another ISP.  Where I live it's either Comcast or Uverse.  Last time I checked Uverse in my area it was 1.5mbs down which is unacceptable.  And I might not even have the option of Uverse anymore cause supposedly my neighborhood block can only accommodate up to 6 Uverse homes.  So this notion of "walking away" doesn't necessarily apply to everyone.  If I had the option of going to another ISP that offered the same 300gb cap at the same price I would drop Comcast in a heart beat just based on the principle of them trying to squeeze money out of me.  But Comcast has me and others without alternatives by the balls.  This is  a classic case of abusive power because of a monopoly.  The government should get involved and control this abusive power.

Contributor

Data Usage We're sorry. We can't load your internet usage meter right now.
Contributor

so my question is will comcast still be using the excuse of bandwidth and network congeston being a problem when they roll out fiber?? or will people get 2gb symetric and blow the 300gb cap in 2 minutes

Expert

AFAIK, there is no datacap on the fiber (FTTP) system.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I'm sure this has been posted 100 times over here, but the 300GB limit/mo is ridiculous. It makes working from home impossible when you are in the Software industry. 

I purposely go into the office more days than I need to so I don't blow through the limit, yet I still do it on occassion or get darn close.

Can't wait for Google Fiber to finish installing in Atlanta!

Regular Contributor

Yea after my FCC complaint I got a call from one of their complaint departments. They listened to me complain but the only thing I got from them is maybe by the end of the year if Fla does well with the $30 unlimited buy back plan that option may come to Atl. I doubt it the way they move. I complained for about 30 mins about the complete lack of options in my area and how they treat different customer differently depending where they live. I said it was ridiculous how I'm in the 105 extreme tier yet have the same cap as a Grandma in the 6MBPS tier.

I would love to have the Tucson plan where higher speed tier's get higher caps or be able to pay $30 a month for unlimited like Fla can. I also expressed how silly the 300Gb cap was in a world where Xbox and PS4 digital games are 50GB per game and how 4K streaming and downloading as already hit. A service called MGO allows you to download full bandwidth 4K HDR movies to an encrypted hard drive attached to your TV. These movies are around 100GB a piece and until 4K blu ray hits are about the only option for viewing full bandwidth HDR 4K movies. So 2 movies and two games and your cap is done for the month.

We have had the same 300GB cap since 2013, the world is moving faster toward large digital games and 4K streaming, this amount of data is not realistic in 2015-2016

Frequent Visitor

My FCC complaint forced a Comcast rep call stating there was nothing they could do. No promises or suggestions of coming changes whatsoever. I agree with swanlee 100% regarding realistic data usage. 300gb cap is absurdly low. They know it. They don't care. They are just trying to figure out how to best gouge the market and what we are willing to withstand until we all give up and pay more. I hope they get some competition soon in the North Atlanta suburbs soon. I've been with Comcast for over 10 years as a loyal customer, but I will drop them as soon as there is reasonable competition in my area!
Regular Contributor

Yea I told the guy that called me that it was silly for their reps to act like these data caps are handed down from god and nothing could be done. I told him that was BS and Comcast made these caps, the cap rules are different for different regions so they can certainly adjust them for me.

He agreed that their was no outside party forcing the caps and they were strickly internally based polcies. I then grilled him more on wanting the option to pay $30 a month more to go back to unlimited data. I do not obviously want to pay more but 30$ for unlimited would be worth it for me just to not have to check the useage site everyday and be a bandwidth dictator to my family.

Right now going to business class to get rid of caps would be around 150-200$ mnore than I'm paying now for my cable package just to remove caps.

It is sad comcast has me in such a bind I literally want to give them more money to make this cap nightmare go away but they won't take it.

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Contributor

I find it incredible that any company can run in overt opposition towards their own customer's best interest to the point that 80% of them are willing to drop the company at any time once the opportunity presents itself, how is that a good position to be in as a company?!...

Point is, it would be a serious boon for this company to have the very people that they rely on for their bread and butter, able to trust and even jealously defend the company, (Due to enjoying the service provided and privileged as a customer) and you don't get that by sneaking hidden charges and imposing impossible to maintain data limits that the actual service is custom made to exploit.

And as for the folks who default to suggesting we pay for a business class level service, when we aren't even business class, is absurd, just as absurd as assuming that we have dozens of choices of service providers just because they are lucky enough to have them in their specific area/state...

I would hope that Comcast will take these complaints to heart and restructure their policy, as it is also in their best interest to do so.