Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

Re: Data Cap

I actualy was posting a similar thread as you did. I also am miffed in regards to the data "Cap".

I was NEVER informed of this. never did I hear in direct or slinky we will get you wrap around talk this would happen. I stream video and game, as my wife also streams netflix.

Unlike the OP of this I will change providers and not cancel my netflix and Amazon prime accounts.

Fairpoint, Time Warner, GWI, I had never seen anything in regards to a data plan. Never seen a throttle of my service etc.

I have a Data plan on my phone. NOT my home net service.

Frequent Visitor

I never came close to the data cap until I installed the "new, faster, better modem".  Once I did that, we started hitting our caps.

When I contacted support they said they couldnt' give me a day that things started to jump.  They can only give me what my usage is right now.  

If I am being "metered" I should be able to see what the historical metered usage is over the course of time to help troubleshoot.  Even the water company can do this.

Is there an application that anyone uses to monitor their data?  (Aside from the "daily balance" comcast one?)

New Poster

I think you're on to something...I'm experiencing the exact same thing!  I've had the service for over two years with no potential overages. Frankly I didn't even realize there was a data cap here in Memphis. I received a new modem/dual band router around 8/1 and for the first time, I received a message from Comcast saying that I'd used 90% of my cap in 19 days.  I called yesterday and the reps (2 different ones) essentially ignored my implication that the new modem is somehow linked to my spike in usuage.  I'm seriously considering returning it and getting a single band modem and reverting back to my previous set-up.

New Poster

300GB Usage Cap

Hello

My name is Chris and I have a 300GB usage cap on my Comcast internet service. I would like to mention that I have [Blast!]; I guess that's what it's called. Anyways, I have two desktop computers, A Wii U, A tablet, two iPhones, and a Macbook. My lady and I are always playing online games, or streaming from Netflix, HboGo, Youtube, etc. We prefer to watch our videos in 1080p because we pay for the quality internet speed (and I just clocked the speedtest from the ISP at 75-80mbps) and it's great!

But we are getting text messages from Comcast warning us of the 300GB cap. We haven't hit the cap yet, but according to this 'usage meter' we are at 90%. I have been benge watching X-files in the evenings after work and last night, it took me 32min to finish 12min of an episode. I had time in between the LONG PAUSES to search on my phone (I turned the wifi off) to read about what is going on here.

I have read that there is no stability or engineering reason why there is a 300GB cap in my area. I read that 'it just is'. I have also read comments from friends of mine how they have 1.5TB caps in their areas across the nation and they generally run up 800GB a month. They do this because they do the same thing I do, except they have children who also run devices and stream learning videos, and movies all the time.

So this 300GB cap, is really bothering me. It seems that we pay for the quality internet speed, only to reach this 300GB threshold faster. The wife asks, "Well should we change it to slower internet package?" ---Well no because then our internet would be bad, all the time.

I have read all about how there is a 300GB cap in my area [and I live in Jackson, MS] and I'm not sure why it exists. I have spoken with coworkers and they state they also share the same issue.

Coworker[s]: "Yeah, we usually hit the cap on the 20th of the month, and then have to just suffer the last 10 days. The kids get unhappy, but I usually find a reason to ground them so the wife and I can watch out nightly episode of Game of Thrones on HBOgo, until the end of the month". When I heard that, it was amazing.

Given the modern day and age in which multiple family members carry devices, or just have them laying around the house; I cannot understand a cap this low at all. I feel like it's pretty insane to offer such high internet speed----yet cap it so low. A cap so low, but not just that....I am not sure why it exists at all. There are no stability issues on the ISP end, and if you were to tell me there were, I don't believe it.

One more thing; When I get these text message warnings saying I'm close to my 300gb cap, (I am at 90%) My internet speed has been reduced. This means that the fast internet speed that I am paying for, is not. This seems unreasonable because I'm being punished for laying on the couch and watching movies and tv shows on netflix and HboGO (and I'm paying for that....I'm actually paying for the HBO GO through Comcast HBO package).

I am asking for a reasonable person the shed some honest light on this issue, and/or fix this.

fear.png
Frequent Visitor

Re: 300GB Usage Cap

They won't...they are a monopoly using centers paid for by the tax payers.  Same here...i pay an extra $50 at least in data overage (also 300gb cap) and I'm especially during peak times I get usually 25 meg speed...i pay for 105....it's some setting I have set wrong is what they say.  They lie but they don't care...why care, we have no options.

New Poster

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

"Comcast is testing usage plans (AKA "data caps") in certain markets."

Clearly that is a fancy use of words that means: When you exceed your 300GB cap, you charge an extra $10 for every 50GB. On my Bill.

I didn't sign up for this test.

New Poster

An update:

So now it's Saturday and I'm on the internet. I am being fussed at by my wife about not being on the internet. So now this is causing problems with my marraige. Thank you comcast. I'd say the testing phase is over. You've made several customers in my area angry, and you've caused domestic issues in households. Way to go.

Frequent Visitor

Everyone on this thread should read this. It is a post about the FCC's feelings about the data cap from a site called stopthecap.com:

http://stopthecap.com/2015/05/12/source-fcc-will-get-serious-about-data-caps-if-comcast-moves-to-imp...

Frequent Visitor

the data usage meter has not updated since Friday August 21. I dont want to be nailed for overage charges. I am very good at keeping track of usage, but if it does not update how can i track. Get rid of the data cap comcast. 300 gb is not enough for the digital age of streaming.

Contributor

So I'm over my cap. Spend about 250-300 bucks a month for this service. I'm gonna end up paying for the so called extra data. But in the mean time. Comcast is throttling my internet to the point of abuse.

So. Attorney. Here I come. This criminal company needs to be penalized for there BS.

Contributor

My bill was like that. You can do what I did. I got a Comcast business account. Flat rate, no cap. It's $135 a month but that's less than the $250-300 a month I was paying with overages. Just set it up as a home office and I was done. 

Contributor

Hate the data caps myself. As more and more things move to digital downloads and digital streaming, this data cap gets more and more difficult to deal with. 

The new generation of game machines heavily push digital purchasing. 

Hulu/Netflix/Amazon/Sling/etc all have HD streaming that eats the bandwidth up

The caps do not actually promote lower prices or better plans as claimed. They merely provide a way to get more money from customers. 

Filed an FCC complaint on it. Hopefully, with Google Fiber coming to Atlanta the caps will be dropped in Atlanta. 

New Poster

Data caps need to be increased.

How much longer are we going to be subjected to this 300gb cap? I pay for faster speeds for what? So I can reach my cap faster? Techonology is changing and the data size of streaming media is getting higher. There at least needs to be a better option than paying overages.

New Poster

Re: Data caps need to be increased.

I didn't know my data was limited, sales guy fell to tell me about 300gb cap. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Data caps need to be increased.

im with everyone above, i pay 110 dollars a month for internet only to have the highest speeds available to me, this does not appear suspended on my end, i just have "courtesy months" left. got a call this morning. cspire is moving fiber into my neighborhood and some point will be going into construction phase. this data cap was the WORST idea this company ever thought up and will be their undoing as fiber comes around the big cities and puts them out of the internet buisiness. cspire is offering 1000mps and i currently get 100mps, which i have had absolutely excellent speeds from, every tv in my house can stream at once, however i have paid the intial pre registration fee and when they actually get to construction I will then pay the fee to lay the fiber from the street to my house if the data cap isnt permantly removed from the site, i dont even want it to show how much data i used, this is not something i should worry about for 110 internet service. after ive commited to them laying the fiber lines to me directly it will be too late i will have a contract with them and you know what, they are offering it for 80 bucks a month unlimited, 70 for me due to my having their wireless services. then it wil be goodbye comcast, i seriously cannot beleive they have not read all the complaints and reconsidered this, just keep making us mad and loyal customers will become ones who will jump ship when the competitors come in with better services. the only reason then to stay would be laziness on changing out equipment, and if all comcast wants to keep are the 3 and 6 mps user then they can have them. all of their top teir plans (users who know about bandwith and want to use it) will start fading away. this is the only issue i have had with the service and have complained about it repeatedly, i would probably stick around if not restrictions were on me and pay the 30 dollars a month i would save by switching just due to the 100% uptime i have had since moving to my new neighborhood, but im mad and on top of removing the cap i feel they need to send a very heartfelt apology email to all of their users for this nasty attitude. you may think your the best in town and can do as you please but that will be ending soon for me. infact my neighborhood is so mad about our internet options we are thinking about paying others pre registration fees just to get the ball rolling on it. i hope someone with control over this cares and actually reads this but something tells me they are getting fat and buying ferraris and dont care

Frequent Visitor

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

This was supposed to be a reply to the user who commented about the banks overdraft fees and the law stepping in. not sure why it went to the bottom with no quotes

you know what the banks did to get around this, they made it hard for the companies like verisign and the like to make a connection and get approved, i would have 2 grand in the bank and frequently, like as in a couple times a week i would have to get the vendor to try the card several times to get it to work.

I called the bank and they said if you didnt opt in, they would not authorize any expenditure on your account without a connection to the bank verifying your balance, ha didnt they always do this for debit cards. well they exploited a loophole and i eventually had to sign up, it seems everytime the law tries to step in and make a company fall in line and stop acting in an unethical manner, they find a way around it.

Frequent Visitor

Re: busniess class account

I have just turned on the data monitor on my nighthawk r8000 this is the only way data can get in and out of my modem as it has no internal wifi and i dont have tv services, next month i will compare and see what the results are

New Poster

data cap in New Jersey

Hello everyone,

I just got Comcast as it is the only provider in the area I just moved to. the customer service rep told me I am subject to the 300 GB data cap. Upon researching xfinity website, and trying to google New Jersey Data Cap, I was not able to find any source that says there is a data cap in the NJ area. The xfinity website has no information on it except for the areas it mentions in its FAQs.

Yet I gave this info to the customer service rep, he says all residential are subject to 300 GB cap. Is this true? I don't think he is saying the truth. Even the disclaimer has no such information under plan details.

Any insight will be helpful.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: data cap in New Jersey

The old 250 GB limit was suspended sometime ago in most areas, however there are trial areas where limits do exist. (NJ has no limit, for now).

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials/

(You should keep in mind though, that caps of some description, could be re-imposed at any time).

Contributor

CatKnipND wrote:

My bill was like that. You can do what I did. I got a Comcast business account. Flat rate, no cap. It's $135 a month but that's less than the $250-300 a month I was paying with overages. Just set it up as a home office and I was done. 

Yea. IF you live in an area they ALLOW Bus. accounts. BUT IF. You live in a residential zone they dont allow. Then this option doesnt work. (

Contributor

I do live in a residential area and had no problem getting the business account. With people telecommuting these days, lots of people with home offices.

Contributor

Re: data cap in New Jersey

I've been in this "Trial" for 2 years now, to still call it a trial is complete BS, I think the trial has been long enough now, either stop the trial or launch it acorss the srtates and prepare for the backlash. Right now they are just targeting area's where they have no compeititon cause they know we can't do anything.

Also Comcast changed the whole 3 months grace period deal. Now it seems you only get 3 grace months forever when the trial first launched it was you would get a trial month back 12 months after you used that trial month. At first I thought it was 3 months a year then when that did not pan out I had to talk to at least a dozen people to get a straight answer. So if you used a grace period month in Sept. of 2014 you would get that month back in Sept. of 2015. But that doesn't work either and they have removed any language that says that.

So basically you are going to eventually pay overages unless you are a 90 year old that lives alone that barely uses the internet.

Since the Trial started we have 4K streaming available on Netflix, MGO, Amazon prime that can go as high as 10GB an hour, we have PS4 and Xbox One digital games that average around 40GB per game, in general basic internet surfing uses more bandwidth as images increase in size and quality.

The world has changed even since 2013 yet we have a 300GB cap that shouldn't have been acceptable in 2010.

Frequent Visitor

The data test started in 2012. End the test or increase data allowance for performance and above it should be over 1000 gb. The extreme plans should have no cap. The starter plans should have the 300 gb. Comcast come into 2015 and change. Streaming is the future.
Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast to offer alternative to monthly data caps and overage fees. 

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Now-Charges-Capped-Users-30-If-They-Want-Unlimited-Data-1...

Silver Problem Solver

Hmmm, not impressed! Jim.

Expert

Re: How do you feel about this ??

Jim721 wrote:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Now-Charges-Capped-Users-30-If-They-Want-Unlimited-Data-1...

Ouch!!!!  Lucky for me, while I am in Florida, my market has no cap currently  ( keeping everything crossed at this point!!!! )

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

A new way for comcast to suck money out of us. You do notice the data trials are only in areas where there are limited choices for internet service
Silver Problem Solver

Internetaz6 wrote:
A new way for comcast to suck money out of us. You do notice the data trials are only in areas where there are limited choices for internet service

I'm sure the intention is to stick it to us all eventually, I just think $30 is too much. They should raise the limit first and then charge say $10 for unlimited, if they must charge at all

Frequent Visitor

The only way they will raise the data allowance is if the fcc gets involved but Comcast is staying just under their radar. So things will continue as they are why would they stop or raise the data they are raking in the money.

Frequent Visitor

I feel like it's time to switch back to AT&T. We JUST got through dealing with two weeks of sporadic outages during their "upgrade" to faster lines to increase our speed "at no cost". Yeah, now I see the cost...And the "most families use under 300gb" is a crock. If this is the case why change to penalize those who are (my August usage was 715 gb so I doubt "most" are under 300).

You suck comcast. Enjoyed it while we were with you but buh-bye!

New Poster

Re: Comcast to offer alternative to data caps and overage fees...

Kiss my business goodbye!

I have had nothing but trouble with Comcast since I've had it.  Weekly outages, incompetant techs on the phone, etc.  

AT&T Uverse may not have speeds that are as fast as Comcast, but the service was reliable, and they didn't try to stab us in the back with ridiculous fees.

I know for a fact that my household uses more than 300gb per month.  Heck, my 15 year old probably consumes that much data just playing games.  Not to mention our VoIP phone service.

Hasta la vista, Comcast!

Regular Visitor

I've just got the email from Comcast. This is total BS. 

My my average data usage us about 420GB PER month so this represents a price increase of ~$30 per month. 

BTW it does apply to Florida!

We either need a petition, a good lawyer who'd like to work on a class action suit or a mass exodus to another ISP. 

New Poster

I've been a loyal Comcast customer for many years. Sad to say I am now looking for other internet options. Bad business choice Comcast. 

New Poster

NOT Happy at all about this change!  The rates keep going up and now they want to charge the "few" of us that go over 300GB an extra $30 per month???

That the majority do not use over 300GB is BS!!!

I have kids in school and htey need to use the Internet all the time.   Now I'm being penalized for that???

As another user said I guess it's time to go back to AT&T even if it may not be as fast at least they won't try and screw me with these kinds of fees...

New Poster

I agree wth you 100%  VERY BAD CHOICE ON THE PART OF COMCAST!!!

This WILL end up hurting them!

Bronze Problem Solver

Remember folks this is just an alternative you can still stick with paying an extra $10.00 a month for each 50GB block you go over. The article did not mention wether comcast is going to keep allowing customers to exceed there cap 3 times a year with no charge if you dont sign up for unlimited at $30.00 extra a month. 

New Poster

I switched to Comcast since they were offering faster speeds, unlimited data, and a slightly cheater payment.  When I signed up for service, I confirmed the data would be unlimited since we use Netflix.  Limiting the data seems like a way protect the "Cable Bundle" and hurt Netflix users.  300GB of data is too little.  Last month we used 474GB.  Since my other local cable provided still has unlimited data for $5 more than I am currently paying with Comcast, I will switch back if Comcast fails to cure this issue.  I am very disappointed.

Contributor

Wait until Google finishes laying the fiber in the Atlanta area...Comcast is going to be hurting since it's basically the whole northeast section inside the perimeter. I can hardly wait.

Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast to offer options with data caps !!

Paraniod wrote:

Hmmm, not impressed! Jim.

Sorry dont shoot the messenger..   Smiley Wink

New Poster

Cap limitations

why comcast count the streaming use? no telecommunications company do that

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Cap limitations

Another interesting ariticle about comcasts data caps and fees.. Comcast says there only being fair. 

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Charging-30-to-Avoid-Usage-Caps-is-Us-Being-Fair-134985

Regular Visitor

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Let's not argue over data limits, this is nothing to do with limits. It's a PRICE INCREASE PURE AND SIMPLE.

They recently increased the speeds in my area - nice - now they are going to increase the price.

Let's make a deal, take my speed back to what is was a few months ago and get rid of the caps - seems like a deal to me.

any thoughts?

Frequent Visitor

Good News! Your 50Mbps plan has been upped to 75Mbps at no extra charge! Bad News! We're adding your area to the "test" of a 300GB/mo data "cap" starting in October! (Broward County Florida)

??

And I can't get to the "usage meter" by any link I've located. I have no idea how much I use each month, but it surely cant be over 300GB, can it? Who knows.

I just got 17 days of non-functioning internet fixed and today I read now they will cap it or get more money from me.

??

Who ya gonna call?

Bronze Problem Solver

Yes unfortunately this is something all of us will be dealing with in the very near future.  

New Poster

Data caps have arrived in South Florida, luckily for us Comcast is not the only option down here and I will be dropping them and going back to Uverse. Can't wait till Google Fiber expands down here; I'm gonna enjoy watching Comcast and AT&T go down in flames. 

New Poster

Complain about Data Cap

I just filed a complaint with the FCC about the unreasonable rate increase of 50%.

Frequent Visitor

Posting this message will do nothing. Posting this message doesnt make me feel better. Comcast doesnt care. I will leave comcast at the first available opportunity. They will never read this and do anything. I hate you comcast decision makers. 

New Poster

Well it looks like I'm finally going to experience why everyone hates Comcast. Got an email the 300gb limit per month will start this October and Comcast's got me by the balls as I just signed a contract for another year a few month back. Thank you Comcast for finally showing your true colors and ehffing me with your monopolistic power. 

Contributor

Fla gets new cap but can buy back unlimited service for $30 a month

http://stopthecap.com/2015/09/01/comcast-introducing-usage-caps-in-florida-then-offers-30-option-to-...

I'm REALLY getting irritated with how Comcast treats their customers differently depending on where they live. I'm in the ATL area and we have been subjected to the 300GB "Trial" cap for almost 2 year now. regardless of your speed bundles and services you have a 300GB cap, 6MBPS or 105MBPS same cap for all. No wiggle room no options for different types of cap for high bandwidth plan no buyback option, no bandwidth roll over option for when I don't use the 300GB cap etc.

Nope just screw you give me more money. But yet now FLA gets the cap but they get an option for 30$ a month more for unlimited. In Tucson their cap increases with their plan so the 105GB plan has a 600Gb cap.

But here in the ATL where your options are Comcast or 12MBPS ATT DSL you get no choice no ability to get around this. I REALLY wish the Feds would step in and help us that are trapped in regional monopolies. DSL in my area caps out at 12MBPS which is not technically broadband. So where i live their is a monopoly on broadband service and Comcast makes sure and abuse me because of it.

Also spare me with the Comcast defense force, it will not fly with me. I just want the options they are offering other customers, I want a higher cap for a higher speed tier like in Tucson or the option to pay $30 more a month for unlimited like Fla.

Contributor

Well if your in Fla at least you can buy back your unlimited data program, here in the ATL we have ZERO options with this cap. no way around it and even the 105MBPS speed tier has the same cap as the 6MBPS tier.