Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Contributor

Re: internet usage

@johns_1960 wrote:

I know that sometime recently you have put limits on internet data usage.

We are VERY UNHAPPY about this!!!

Have they actually put a limit on data usage?  How?

All that I have seen is that they are asking people who use way more than average to pay more than average.

Contributor

Re: internet usage limits

@swanlee wrote:

I pay for the 105 MBPS plan it is silly that I have the same cap as someone on the 6MBPS plan.

Why is that silly?

If I can stream Netflix at 6MBPS and watch 10 hours/week, why should I have a different limit than someone who has a 105MPBS plan, but also watches 10 hours/week of Netflix?

There are two things you are paying for:

-  How much data.

-  How quickly you can download data.

The person paying for the 105 plan is paying the premium because they have some need to download things quickly, that is unrelated to how much they download.

Contributor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Why is it the first thing that comes to peeps minds is. I'll give you more money to get more? If this is your mind set. Then please send me your extra money. I'll write up a few lines of *more* and send it to you.
There are peeps in other countries that get internet service 20 times better then the US and they spend halve as much. Which is why there are sooo many European web companies.

But not in America. Cuase big companies don't want you doing that stuff and making money off there service? Sounds like it.
How about telling big companies they don't get more moeny, we aren't going to be there slaves they can whip when they feel like and take back your control.
Unless you like being a wallet slave. Then go ahead and sign yourself away.

If Comcast cared about it. Something would have been done. They aren't going to care. They will never care regardless of the ad lies or employees whom feed you garbage becuase they are paid to feed you garbage and then everyone eats it and says YUM! I'm happy.

Y'all wanna hit Comcast where it hurts. Then hit there wallet. Everyone cancel at same time an cost them millions. Then they might start acting a little harder like they care.

Until then. We All Are Wallet Slaves to this company.
There new moto should be. Pay me. Shut up and be happy with what you are given.

Regular Contributor

Although I am not in any of these areas, is there a way to see how much data I have used every month?  I game for about 4 hours a day (more on weekends) and am wondering what data usage is.

Expert

@kjakubowsk wrote:

Although I am not in any of these areas, is there a way to see how much data I have used every month?  I game for about 4 hours a day (more on weekends) and am wondering what data usage is.

Yes.  Log into your acount online, goto https://customer.xfinity.com/MyServices/Internet.  You must be logged in for the above link to work.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

As soon as Google Fiber is available, I'm gone. They are laying it now so proably about a year.

New Poster

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

You say get the business class, but that's an extra $200 hit for the same speed of internet I currently have.  Why is it that my family of five can't get a higher data cap if I'm paying for the highest tier of bandwidth? I work from home for a medium sized business, my kids stream a lot of video from netflix and hulu, and now I'm having to consider removing those services if I want to keep my current internet plan.  This is a monopoly, there's no doubt, as AT&T doesn't even come close to offering the speeds that comcast does, but comcast tells me I should only use a small amount every month.  Our first month, we used our data limit halfway through, I then restricted everyone in my family to minimize our usage, and still used my limit by the 27th.  This is ridiculous.  Not to mention that I wasn't informed about this cap when I purchased the plan with a 2 year contract.  Very, very unhappy.

New Poster

data usage

How do you use 11GBs of data when your gone to work.  I change my password, changed my network key, and router password and turned off WiFi, so how?  I live in an apartment, is it possible someone split my cable outside and tap into the internet from my cable?  I don't think it is possible cause at the head end (comcast) they can read it. So where is the data leak?

Frequent Visitor

I tried to search this thread to no avail.

I am in Tucson and 4GB from the 300GB cap. I understand that I get 3 50GB freebies.

How does that work?

Is the 50GB just till the first of August so if I hit the cap and get the automatic 50GB it's USE it or LOSE it?

Thanks...

New Poster

Data Cap Warning - Nashville

I have been using the internet once in a while to watch netflix, and I have a roommate who does as well.  Just got a message telling me I am at 90% data cap?  That is not what I paid for when I signed up. 

If the cap isn't discarded, I will be switching my internet to google fiber.  

How stupid is it to lose customers over something so ridiculously petty? 

New Poster

Re: Data Cap Warning - Nashville

The usage meter is not accurate.  I track usage at the router level and the reflected meter shows much more data usage than what passes through the router.  Eventually more bad press and competing services (such as Google Fiber and municiple fiber options) will force data caps to go away or customers will leave.  The cost to provide internet is extremely low on an ongoing basis and the cost is decreasing -- not increasing contrary to marketing claims.

New Poster

My bill used to $89 a month I now pay $182 a month and this is the cheapest paln available for me. Now they want to charge more for internet usuage???? this seems like highway robbery. I dont support government intervention in private business but I would in this situation. No other options, I am being held hostage.

New Poster

What I want to know is what's so special about Tuscon, Az - why do they get the increased month GB usage - if mine were increased from the 300gb it currently sits at to the 450GB they are getting I wouldnt have any complaints!  Hello ... EQUALITY FOR ALL - EVEN LOCATIONALLY CHALLENGED PLEASE - LOL - BUT SERIOUSLY, WTH?

Frequent Visitor

To answer my own question of above:

<edited to get to the point>

• chat id: a009ff6e-dd2b-43da-8ba5-bd64546baab2
  • Problem: Tell me EXACTLY how the data cap works. Specifically, when I use one of the 3 "free" 50GB allotments when I "exceed" the arbitrary 300GB monthly limit.%0A%0AThe 50GB is for how many days, if any, or is it good till I use it up?
  • xxxxxx > So, to be clear, if it is 10PM on Friday the 31st of July and I go over the 300GB and I use one of the 50GB allotments - and I use only 2GB of the 50GB, when it turns midnight the other 48GB is GONE, it does not "roll over" ?
  • Neeraj > Yes Bob. You are absolutely correct.

---------------------

So here is a good question, these caps have been in place for a year or two? I am sure they used data from LONGER than a year or two to get to "most of our customers come nowhere close to using 300GB per month" - I would bet a one month's COMCAST bill ($$$) that the distribution, mode, and average have changed dramatically in the last two or three years and 300GB is way low.

COMCAST tell us again how and when you decided 300GB was your magic number please?

New Poster

Dude my billing cycle apparently started on the 20th of July and by the 25th they called to say I reached my data limit of 300gb. Like how TF does that happen? Just got off the phone with a rep who said "oh, the data cap is just a trial. they should be completed in your area within the next 10 days and by your next billing cycle everything will go back to normal."

Lies. Lies everywhere. -_-

Contributor

OmegaStrain wrote:
Why is it the first thing that comes to peeps minds is. I'll give you more money to get more? If this is your mind set. 

There are peeps in other countries that get internet service 20 times better then the US and they spend halve as much. Which is why there are sooo many European web companies.

Uhhh, maybe because that is how it works for just about anything you buy from gas, to groceries, to electricity to waffles.

Yeah, all those soooo many European web companies like "Le Google"   "El Facebooko"  "d'Ebay"

"der Amazon".   Of the top 20 internet companies, only 1 is in Europe.

Contributor

Xfinity's new multi gig speed is here prepare yourself as you reach your data cap 4 times faster than normal so they can charge you eight times faster than normal
Expert

AFAIK the new 2 Gig fiber (FTTP) service does not have a data cap

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Theregular Regular Contributor

This guy must be an employee of Comcast.
Attempting to talk down posts against Comcast.
Wouldn't be the first time.

I wasn't reeeaaalllyy asking a question to get an answer. An to really answer. That's the American way. But if you just want to pick and prod my posts. That's fine. Idc.

Attack me instead of the major company screwing everyone except the regular. Comcast takes special care of him. Smiley Wink
Expert

Uhh. I didn't "attack" you.. Sorry you feel that way. I'm a fellow customer. Guess that you haven't been here long enough to know me or my reputation here.. I only try to help posters. I have no agenda... What I stated does not support them in any way... Just stating stuff as I know it to be. Their fiber offering is not DOCSIS based.

Contributor

Not you EG. Srry for misunderstanding.No offense intended.
Contributor

I was. Read the top of post
Contributor

NP Smiley Happy
New Poster

This Data cap is BS.  They are about to lose a customer.  Why is it that they are only doing it in certain areas?  Isn't that discrimination?  If they are going to do it, they should do it to ALL customers to make it fair.  Why aren't they?  Probably because they know the back lash would be horrible. 

Regular Contributor

The regular guy defending Comcast is pretty funny. Shill is a shill is a shill Look Comcast can do whatever they want the main problem here is a carefully crafted environment where general users don't have a choice in the market. Under a real free market scenario Comcast would impose caps and I would be able to move to a provider that offered services and pricing I'd find more acceptable. Well obviously that isn't the case here.

I can go with Comcast at 105MBPS or ATT which maxes out at 6MBPS in my area. Because of the new FCC classifications on internet speed I technically only have one choice for broadband internet in my area. No one else offers 25MBPS or above to my house. That is riduclous.

And if you notice the Markets where Comcast is imposing caps these are area's where they do not have any current direct regional compeition.

You got to be silly to think that Speed + Data amount aren't tied together. I can very easily run through my cap in a couple of days if I wanted to. Technically a 105MBPS connection can run through 300GB in less than 6 hrs. Yet this is the cap imposed on my plan for an entire month? If anything Comcast bumps speed to make users go over their cap quicker. but having a 105MBPS connection but stuck to 300GB is like having a Porche where you can drive as fast as you want but you crash into a brick wall every time after 10 miles.

It's obvious Comcast has worked very hard to corner the market, drive away competiion on a regional basis and paid off alot of polticians in the past to allow them to do this. All with the intent of squashing compeition that will allow them to take advantage of their customers cause they know the customer has no real choice in the matter.

I can choose between 6-8 different gas companies for natural gas, they actual provide a physcial prpoduct to my house. Why on Earth can't their be legite ISP competiion?

Contributor

I have not heard from Comcast regarding the FCC and the 30 days are past due. We are still in segregation here in the south for 2 years now. Comcast headquarters in PA has no such caps. For those installing Windows 10 and monitoring your bandwidth I suggest you read this. http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-uses-your-bandwidth-to-distribute-updates-d-1721091469
New Poster

Get this... I had 2 gigs left on my monthly data, so I unplugged my modem so I wouldn't go over.  5 hours later I get a call saying I've gone over on my 300 gig limit!  What the heck! man.  I realize there might be a delay, but jeeze people. 2 gigs is a lot, and I made my kids stay off ipads ALL day.  Try explaining that to a  year old....  I called comcast and talked to a person in India.  He was very nice, but I let my frustruations out... in a nice but firm way.  Seriously comcast.... this data limit thing is crud!  Why on earth would you even consider doing this when there are so many other options out there.  Don't you know that consumers riot?  Remember the netflix fiasco?  I suggest NOT setting limits on data.  Thanks for listening.  Have a great weekend.

Contributor

Re: Low data cap for highest tier internet makes no sense

So my cap restarted today at midnight. However, when I checked my usage at 8:30am this morning, I somehow had already used 13GB??? Everyone was asleep, and there wasn't anything downloading or uploading happening overnight.  I keep a watchful eye on my (secured with WPA2) network, so I know that there's not any rogue program (or userse) using bandwidth. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Silver Problem Solver

Problem is it works off UTC/GMT time...So that was, 5,6,or more hours before your time, plus actual usage could be delayed 24 hours. It doesn't happen at midnight.....Good luck though!

New Poster

I too am now the victim of the overage charges. Since I filed my executive complaint on 7/25, I've been contacted via email by no less than 5 people claiming to work for Tom Karinshak and claiming they're going to fix my problem. And my problem is, I want the detail of what’s causing the overage. I have a household of 4 adults and we all have multiple devices connected. We do stream some Netflix or YouTube and there is some gaming. When I ask the Security Assurance group for the data, I was told they don’t monitor the traffic. Maybe they should change their name to the No-security Assurance Dept. I can’t believe in this day and age with all the breaches and malicious attacks, an ISP claims it isn’t monitoring your traffic and can’t provide detail on your Internet usage.

I finally gave up and filed a complaint with the Georgia PSC. Doubt anything will come of it but who knows.

Frequent Visitor

Why there is a cap?

Camcast is the ONLY provider still impose a monthly data cap.  On the other side of my town, there is Charter Spectrum with faster speed (60Mbps), no data cap, and cheaper price ($30/mon).  Comcast on the other hand, giving people free HBO Go with Internet service.  However, HBO Go is what make people go over the data cap.  Come on Comcast, do away with the data cap.  It's 2015, people will use internet for streaming videos.  4K TV is becoming popular.  Netflix is offering so many 4K programing and they use up a lot more bandwidth.  No other providers are having data cap.  Please follow them.  If you keep doing this, you would only make people hate you and will jump to other provider once it's available to them.  Google Fiber is expending....

New Poster

I suggest that we all write a letter to Comcast demanding an itemized list of our internet usage.  I want to know exactly what is using all my bandwidth?  The way it is today they could easily pad the numbers to ensure that we all go over the data cap so they can make more money and we have no recourse becase we have no idea how we even reached the data cap in the first place.  Also, I wonder how much of our monthly traffic is actually generated by Comcast themselves to our routers?  Those bytes (kilo, mega, or giga) should not count against my cap since I did not request that data, but I bet you they are counting it against our cap.  The people that run Comcast are obviously a bunch of money grubbing lowlife scumbags that will only be stopped with a felony conviction or enough bad press to force them to "turn over a new leaf", at least in the public's eye.  We all know these people will be scumbags for the rest of their lives no matter what happens.  You can't change an adult person's nature, but a little prison time would go a long way in attempting to change them.  And I for one, hope that is exactly what they get for this blatant price gouging and anti-trust activity they have been pursuing for the last 2 years!

New Poster

Comcast.  What on earth are you doing?

So the X1 system stores shows in the cloud.  So not only do you charge me for my DVR service...but you count what I watch against my data cap.

I hope the FCC drops a big old turd on your front porch.  

New Poster

Re: internet usage

There is no reason to have these caps.  

Think about it this way, if you max out 25mbps up and down...you use 300GB in approx. 16 HOURS.  so you get one day's worth for a monthly bill.

Do the same with your TV service.

It's not like they have to go out and mine internet.  IT's not a bandwith problem. It's not a lag problem...it's a greed problem.

BTW in THREE DAYS I have used 75GB.  Download WIN 10 on two machines, and misc. Netflix/internet use.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Are automatic overage charges LEGAL?

Your Data Cap is ridiculous and probably a violation of fair trade. The cap shouldn’t exist and your test market cap is way too low. New xbox or playstation consoles have 60 GB per game downloads and use about 30GB per month to upgrade/patch games and the operating system. So 2 games a month (and I don't even have kids!) with patches is 150gb out of my 300gb cap. Then 3gb per day use (even if I don't even do anything on the net) is 90gb more/month. That's 240gb out of my 300gb cap. Then my HD security cameras use 60gb/month/ per camera and I have 2 cameras. That's for home security for goodness sakes!!!  That's 120gb more per month. Getting the picture?

Your cap estimates are way too low and outdated, especially based on the new internet society and new gaming console game download sizes. And that doesn't include streaming any HD movies or music or backing up computers and ipads, etc. The only reason your statistics tell you that I'm in the 90th plus percentile is because they are outdated and inherent statistical self fulfilling bias that exists because people won't pay more for extra use so they limit their use to stay under the caps. I hear it from everyone I know.

How unnerving is it to not know if you are going to make it under the month’s data usage cap at any given point in time? And then if we use too much early in the month we can’t use the internet for the rest of the month? How is that a good experience? 

We all realize the caps are to try and hold the market captive.  It’s just so you can keep your cable customers instead of losing them to streaming services like hulu, Netflix, CBS, etc. You don't even bother to advertise other internet services with higher data caps because you don't even care about the data usage, just customer loss (which you should not have data caps anyway). If I could change to another service I would, and I have been a long time Comcast customer for more than 10 years. Once I leave, I will never come back. And how is it fair or right or legal to have my area be a "test market" when there is literally no competition for me to change to if I'm unhappy!! No other broadband service is available in my area! Additionally I pay the same/similar as the rest of the country that is non-capped. If you think I'm the only one with a problem with this you are mistaken. Every single person I know in my area is furious. People remember being treated like this by a corporation. We are furious and will all leave and never come back as soon as there is an alternative unless you get rid of the data caps or come up with a more reasonable alternative.

New Poster

I need help determining what my options are in the Memphis area market.  I am getting hammered on this new 300/gb data cap in the Memphis market and need to decide if I need to drop my TV pgk (hbo, etc,) and move the internet service somewhere else.  I currently subscribe to EVERYTHING except the security pkg including HD complete XF bundle, Extreme 105, and Voice and my bill this month was $399 including the bundle pricing and my data cap overage fees.  

No way would I personally eat up 300gb/month...(well maybe) but I have 5 family members, (2 adults who telecomute and work from home a lot at day/night, 2 teenagers and 1 young adult.)  Along with many of our immediate family who visit along with my kids friends who we have authroized in the past ....until now).  I have been forced to kick all vistors off our network. 

First, Xfinity promised me that if I moved to the HD complete XF bundle I would not have a data cap.  I have emails and online chat session printouts to prove it.  They told me many times to just ignore the datacap messages.  THEY LIED !!  (I am at the end of my two year agreement so it might be good timing to make a switch) . I need to understand why I need a 105 mb connection if I can't use it???

Second, This month when I was hammered with a huge overage, I called xfinity customer service and they really don't care if I move back to DSL or direct tv and they aren't gonna budge on giving me a credit for the overage. Really???

Third, I called the security group to find out how to pin-point usuage by device and they can't get anywhere close to helping me.  (they aren't budging either on the credit even though most markets are wide open, including AZ which has a 600 GB threshold)  I can see total internet bandwidth from my modem but we have been setting up a "smart" house with WINK and other items and without spending over $1k on Cisco hub/router equipment with netflow can I figure this out.  I have recently converted a modem to use DD-WRT, Tomato and running a software pkg such as Networx, etc and that is helping a little but we have a mix of mac's in the house and it is difficuly if the problem is with our work computers downloading work emails on the kids on netflix, spotify, etc. 

It seems like Xfinity would think through this a bit more, someone like me that is paying for ALL of their cable TV programming, the high speed modem and has five active family members.  Yes, I am using more internet that some, but I am also paying for all the premium TV programming.  It is no wonder that everyone is dropping cable TV. 

So, my options are to:

1) Drop the TV pkg and just stream everything and pay the large internet fees.  My overage fee was as much as my TV pgk this month so it would be a wash.

2) Move to Direct TV, AT&T or another carrier for the internet.  

Highlighted
New Poster

I would love to agree with you, but I think that Comcast will get away with their name-game semantics.  They aren't 'capping' data...what they are piloting is a utilization threshold.  You still have unlimited* data...the * means that you have to pay for it.  I'd love to say that they're going to get shot down on this...but I'm not holding my breath.

I really hope Whomever thought that this was a good idea is suffering from severe gastrointeritis with all the BS they're peddling.

Contributor

For all of you that want to get rid of the usage cap file a complaint with the FCC. The more people who file complaints than the more likely the FCC will look into the usage caps and how unfair they are. I aslo stated how if companies are going to fine me for my usage than the companies need to stop allowing websites to automatically start running video without my approval and to turn off all the ads. That is all useage that I do not want but I am being charged for it. The complaint forced COMCAST to contact me within a week of filing. COMCAST was useless in their response but the complaint was on file now. Comcast told me the average user is still well below 300Gb a month in my area and that I am an outlier who uses 500GB each month with my large family. If everyone is using less than 300GB than there should be plenty for me to use daily without effecting anyone. Comcast should release some real statistics.

Expert
Moved:

Post removed due to a forum language filter bypass violation.

New Poster

Comcast are a bunch of lieing thevies they told me i didnt have a cap..I will be finding another ISP you guys are way to greedy..And it wouldnt be just highway robbery if you could roll over your data but yall want to keep the data you dont use..just another way to screw americans..

New Poster

Do yall have a plan with unlimted data?

New Poster

Re: internet usage limits

They have lost me.. Americans dont make anything anymore and we have the slowest internet on the planet a get charged more than any other county thx comcast..

New Poster

No other country has it..I have unlimted data on my phone and dont have to pay and my futer ISP dosnt have a data cap so you are wrong sir...

Frequent Visitor

We moved to Savannah from WA in April and I moved my Comcast service to the new house. Was MUCH cheaper here than what we paid in WA. So I was happy at first! At no time during the move did Comcast tell me about a data cap. I actually thought I had a virus when the pop up message showed up on my laptop for the first time!  So I talked to the people and told them that they gave me the wrong internet plan. I always had the unlimited plan and wanted to have the unlimited plan here as well. They told me there is no such thing here as unlimited internet for my area! 

I was gonna get the business line cause I work from home and I am sure that Comcast wont send me a pay check when I don't get paid anymore since I lose hours due to a data cap! lol! So I had just paid about $350 for the 1st month bill with new installation etc. and the business line would have charged me another $199 installation fee ...(or maybe it was $250? -- don't remember now, but it was a lot). Was not going to happen since we are military and will be moving again in 2-3 years anyway. Even if we go over every month we still be off cheaper than paying for the business plan. 

I was gonna go to ATT but their DSL (which is the only one available in my area --- and the only other ISP in my area) has a data cap of 150GB and charge even more for overages. 

So I am stuck with Comcast internet for now, but cancelled my TV with them. They not getting more than what I have to give them ..... and when I move they will be gone for good. Which is sad cause I really LOVED them in WA! Was very happy with them there!!! But over here they are hot garbage! 

New Poster

In addition to filing a complaint with the FCC, one may also file an antitrust complaint.  Data caps with high overage fees for an essential service in areas with no competition could reasonably be seen as an antitrust violation.  There is a 2013 law against retaliation.

Other avenues would be contacting a congressperson or the Better Business Bureau.

Single complaints won't have much impact, but a high volume of complaints did have an impact on the TWC merger attempt and the recent net neutrality ruling.

Silver Problem Solver

@kingdice34 wrote:

In addition to filing a complaint with the FCC, one may also file an antitrust complaint.  Data caps with high overage fees for an essential service in areas with no competition could reasonably be seen as an antitrust violation.  There is a 2013 law against retaliation.

Other avenues would be contacting a congressperson or the Better Business Bureau.

Single complaints won't have much impact, but a high volume of complaints did have an impact on the TWC merger attempt and the recent net neutrality ruling.

Sensible advice, it's great to have a rant on the forum here, but if you think it will make any difference you are mistaken. No one, especially not Comcast is listening.

The one problem I think would be that the trial areas are small in number right now, so few people (in relative terms) are effected by the caps at the moment. Even in the trial areas, I suspect that over 50% or more of customers, don't come anywhere near their cap and have never paid overages.

I hate the idea of a cap so small in this day and age, no one wants to be limited when they are paying a premium for internet access, but it seems Comcast are intent on imposing it. However until they do impose it on a large scale, I don't think the complaints will get enough traction.

Contributor

FCC Consumer Complaints (FCC Complaints)

Aug 11, 3:01 PM

Hi Joe,

Your Ticket No. 371075 was served on your carrier for its review and response.

Your carrier has provided the FCC with a response to your complaint. You should receive a copy of the response from the carrier within 7-10 days via postal mail. As such, no further action is required. Your complaint is closed.

Thank you for your complaint and help in furthering the FCC’s mission on behalf of consumers.

Contributor

Welcome to the segregated southSmiley Happy
Frequent Visitor

New Poster

Data Cap

Can someone please explain to me what the point of this data cap?  I just had to cancel my netflix becase for I went over this extremly small 300 gb limit. what really is the point of this limit, besides a way for Comcast to milk more money from us?