Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

Highlighted
Expert

Re: I just hit the 300GB limit without doing much

Off topic posts removed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Data usage

Whats even sadder is this is there forums and they dont pay enough attention to the "Customers" they so diligintly want to keep 🙂

Highlighted
New Poster

300GB data cap

So Comcast put into place this 300GB data cap back in 2012...and it seems only this area in Nashville because back in my home town in Illinois there is not a data cap for my dads internet service. I am ok with a data cap but 300GB in 2012 is not 300GB in 2015 standards. Data only gets bigger, not smaller. Streaming only gets bigger not smaller. I really think they need to reevaluate data usage for todays media content, not 2012s.

Contributor

Re: 300GB data cap

I live in Maine with my parents and brother so we are subject to the 300 GB usage plan. We use the Performance tier with 25 Mbp/s download and 4 Mbp/s upload. We don't use Netflix. My parents don't watch a lot of online videos. I sometimes watch some videos on YouTube and on the Xfinity website (some TV show episodes). My brother sometimes uses Spotify.

We never use 300 GBs of data a month and don't have the issue some have experienced where they don't know why an excessive amount of data is being used. The wireless gateway we have is a Cisco DPC3939 which was manufactured in August 2013. We got a new one from the Brunswick, Maine service center when we first got Xfinity Internet in May 2014. The two private networks (one on 2.4 GHz and one on 5 GHz) are both password protected to help guard against unauthorized access. Xfinity WiFi is enabled, but per the Xfinity website, anyone using it does not count against our usage plan.

That all being said, I do think it would be cool if there wasn't a usage plan or what some call a "data cap". We used to have Internet service through FairPoint (a DSL ISP) and they didn't have a usage plan. Unfortunately for us, the maximum download speed available was around 1.5 Mbp/s. We couldn't do any HD streaming.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: 300GB data cap

@stevenjw0728 wrote:

So Comcast put into place this 300GB data cap back in 2012...and it seems only this area in Nashville because back in my home town in Illinois there is not a data cap for my dads internet service. I am ok with a data cap but 300GB in 2012 is not 300GB in 2015 standards. Data only gets bigger, not smaller. Streaming only gets bigger not smaller. I really think they need to reevaluate data usage for todays media content, not 2012s.

Now that Net Neutrality is in force, consumers can file a complaint in regard to the data caps.  It is not fair that you can stream Comcast On Demand and not use data while Netflix etc. does.  If you go over 300GB you pay more.  This is definately an example where competitors and consumers are harmed. There was an article on Ars Technica that stated:

"There is no ban on data caps, but providers are not allowed to use caps to harm consumers or competitors. Technically, the FCC said it would address concerns about data allowances and usage-based pricing plans "under the no-unreasonable interference/disadvantage [standard] on a case-by-case basis.""

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/06/the-fcc-will-now-take-your-net-neutrality-complaints/?unr...

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

glennbob, I don't recall that watching anything through the Xfinity website is excluded. I read a page about the usage plans and it didn't mention anything was excluded.

stevenjw0728, that's because some places are part of the usage plan trial but not every one of Comcast's service areas is. Also, the definition of a GB is the same as it was in 2012. Now if someone streams 4K video versus 1080p video that does use more bandwidth.
Highlighted
New Poster

@elsant01 wrote:
Also, the definition of a GB is the same as it was in 2012.

And it was the same when a floppy disk was the most common way of installing software. But that isn't the point at all.

What matters is that usage patterns have changed dramatically in just 3 years. Video is everywhere. You'd almost never encounter auto-playing videos, Netflix didn't have a single original show to its name, and few TVs had access to streaming services. Today, you're innundated with auto-playing video (heck, just go to paypal.com, and you'll be greeted by a full-page video background or scroll through the average social network feed), all the online video services are in a digital arms race of original content and library expansion, and almost every TV at the big box retailers include apps for all of the major video streaming services. Oh, and cord cutting is a thing.

I pay for data in blocks for my family's cellular data. I'm actually okay with that. Not just because it fits our needs, but because when there is some high data use I can look at the usage of every single device on my plan. That to me is one of the most critical failures of the Comcast data caps; that I can't pull up the router and see a list of connected devices and their data usage for the month (the other major failure being that they don't scale up with the service plans... if I'm paying three times the price of their standard tier for a faster connection, my data cap should also be much higher, like in Tuscon's trial).

Highlighted
Contributor

I actually did know about some of the stuff you said. I knew that the average amount of data used overall is increasing. The way they said it though sounded to me like they said the way data is measured has changed, not that more data is being used.

I know Comcast has been trying to improve their customer service but I'm unsure if that will lead to them either cancelling the data cap trial or if they will increase the data caps.
Highlighted
New Poster

greedy rat moles are civil when that wax there head sitting on a government regulatory panel. anyways. i've been considered fully disabled since before beeing considreed an adult...so i'm poor. i can only afford a small subscription service per month; as in netflix that only costs $8 a month giving me a bead into the outside world as opposed to the exorbant/obscenely overprice amount it would cost me to get the same amount of content by ordering comcast cable at a rate of around an extra $100 per month. in short massive controlled mitigation hurts everything except for the individual/s who indoctrinated it. dam comcast sux

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver
Moved:

Highlighted