Community Forum

Temporary Cable/Underground Cable

Regular Visitor

Temporary Cable/Underground Cable

I recently had Comcast come out to install gigabit internet to my house and the tech mentioned he replaced the cable with an orange temporary cable and requested a underground bury. My question was, does this temporary cable effect my speeds at all?

The tech set up the coaxial going into my SB8200 and a cat6 cable going from SB8200 to my Orbi RBR50 yet when i hardwire with a cat6 to my gig ethernet port on my thinkpad I was only getting 250mb down.

Expert

Re: Temporary Cable/Underground Cable

Have you tried hardwiring directly to the 8200 cable modem for a test ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I have not, I was under the impression that a laptop hardwired into the modem wouldn't work. I thought it needed to be plugged into a router.

In order to test this im assuming I should turn everything off, unplug the router, unplug the ethernet between the router and modem. reboot the modem with no ethernet attached, attach an ethernet to the modem then my Laptop and I should have an internet connection?

I tried just unplugging from the router into my laptop while the modem was running but the connection showed no internet.

Expert

Yes. The modem has to be power-cycled / turned off. And then again when re-connecting the router.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I will test it after work tonight, thanks for the reply.

Regular Visitor

I was able to get much higher speeds after directly connecting my PC to the modem. I tested again with the router and the speeds are overall much better. I get around 500-900, is there any way to get these speeds more consistently in the upper half of that?
Official Employee

Wowzors, thank you for reaching out! I just responded back to your PM. Please get back to me there when you can! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.