Community Forum

TV modem and Router location

New Poster

TV modem and Router location

Recently an Xfinity technician installed a TV modem and a router in my apartment using one TV cable outlet for a modem and router. I decided to move a router to a different room and connect to the outlet in this room. When I contacted Xfinity about my intention I was told this action could affect quality of images of TV in the first room, because of separation of a TV modem and a router. However, according to them if I want to install the second TV in the room where I wanted to place a router and keep a router in the first room, it is all right. I am really confused. A remote router affects TV in the first room and does not affect a TV in the second room. Please explain why the said is true.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: TV modem and Router location

You didn’t have to call in about moving your modem. Did the modem work where you wanted it?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: TV modem and Router location

The router did not work in the second room because a technician enabled only one outlet in the first room. I contacted Xfinity and they were ready to sent a technician for additional $40 to enable an outlet in the second room. I agreed to pay, but the agent was strongly against moving a router to the second room claiming they would not be able to guarantee good work of TV if a TV modem is in one room and a router in the other room. I can not decide what to do with enabling the second outlet, because I do not know if the agent correct in her statement.