Community Forum

TIER 3 - NOC TECH PLEASE - Upload Stream troubles - (tons of Info, Already called Tech support)

Frequent Visitor

TIER 3 - NOC TECH PLEASE - Upload Stream troubles - (tons of Info, Already called Tech support)

Hello! Thanks for taking the time...

Im a computer guy - not complete noob (CCNA, Net+, Masters in I.T.)  etc blah blah 

So, ill cut to the chase.

TL : DR

I replaced ALL the hardware and cables, Tested on multiple computers, Called comcast Tech support - On-prem tech saw the same issue, he called in Maintance. im 90% sure its an Upstream Router - Cant get the right person at Comcast to look at it.

ISSUE

- Everything I talk about below is Hard wired - Cat5e or Cat 6 wiring.(not talking about Wifi AT ALL)

- My Download speed is fine "most" of the time, my upload speed is HORRID all the time for the past 2 - 3 Weeks.

- I use a Large amount of data month (enough to buy unlimted for an additional $50 a month) - Game/Stream/Remote Tech support etc.

- Uploads (Especially noticable on Youtube/Twitch Streaming) are inconsistent and drop packets/frames constantly.  

- Connection will sometimes HANG (SEE BELOW) 

- Cant even hold a constant 2.5mb up.Enough that my Stream is MORE buffering than a live feed (Same settings I've used SUCCESSFULLY for the last 12 months)

timeout.jpg

- Current Plan: 150 Down / 20 Up (Just upgraded from 50/10 - HOPING to fix the issue, it didnt)

TIER.jpg

What I've done Already

- Replaced The Modem (BRAND NEW) - C7000-100NAS - I verified its on the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List)

- Replaced my Network card (Intel Gigabit)

- Replaced my Switch (Netgear prosafe 48 port Gigabit)

- Replaced all Desktop-To-Switch Cabling with NEW Preterminated Cat 6 wiring

- Reformated one of my Desktops with a Fresh Windows 10 build (official media)

(you can tell im getting frustrated when i start doing B.S. like that)

- Tested Wired DIRECTLY to the back of the Modem

- Called Comcast Phone support

- Had a Tech out here TODAY (10/10/17)

- We tested speeds and Signal in the house, Outside the house AND at the Tap next door

- STILL 4mb - 8mb up

- Tech Replaced 2/3 of the coax (not the "in roof" one)

- Speed Tests on Google, Speak Easy(Megapath now?), Okoola and Xfinity.

- All but the Xfinity speed test show Terrible speeds - EXCEPT the one Internal to comcast 

(Which Leads me to beleive its an upstream/Gateway router)

Proof of Recent replacement Modem purchase.

MODEMPURCHASE.jpgapproved device.jpg

Speed Test Results

ComcastSpeedTest.jpgSpeedtest3.jpg

speakeasy.jpg

Now heres the Kicker, - I WISH IT WAS THIS SPEED ALL OVER!!!! but it isnt!

ONLY the comcast speed test shows this!!!!

Xfinityspeedtest.jpg

Trace Route

tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.1.10.1
2 15 ms 8 ms 8 ms ***really dont wanna publish my router IP to the world***
3 8 ms 8 ms 9 ms GE-2-1-ur01.sweetwater.fl.pompano.comcast.net [68.86.161.153]
4 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms ae-4-ar02.stuart.fl.pompano.comcast.net [68.85.219.109]
5 17 ms 18 ms 15 ms he-0-17-0-0-ar01.northdade.fl.pompano.comcast.net [68.85.219.13]
6 16 ms 17 ms 16 ms be-20214-cr02.miami.fl.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.90.205]
7 17 ms 15 ms 15 ms be-12274-pe01.nota.fl.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.82.154]
8 14 ms 15 ms 20 ms as15169-2-c.nota.fl.ibone.comcast.net [66.208.228.98]
9 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 108.170.249.1
10 15 ms 17 ms 21 ms 108.170.228.43
11 15 ms 17 ms 15 ms google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

Modem Signal Up/down

MODEMDOWNCHANNELS.jpg

MODEMUPCHANNELS.jpg

DSL Reports - Line Quality Test - Showing Dropped Packets etc.

DSLREPORTS.jpg

If I could get someone at comcast XOC/Noc to look into this would be SUPER greatful.

Feel free to reach out to me directly or here.. ill check back 2 - 3 times a day as able.

Constant buffering at 2-3mb a sec up speed.

buffering.jpg

Frequent Visitor

Re: TIER 3 - NOC TECH PLEASE - Upload Stream troubles - (tons of Info, Already called Tech support)

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/quot-My-service-isn-t-working-quot-Hurricane-Irma-Mega...

Someone else posting roughly the same issue after the hurricane Irma

Frequent Visitor

Re: TIER 3 - NOC TECH PLEASE - Upload Stream troubles - (tons of Info, Already called Tech support)

Still havent heard back from anyone (Forum or otherwise.. any one in particular i should PM or tag for this issue?)

Frequent Visitor

also posted on DSL Reports comcast section - hoping someone from comcast sees it

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31653527-Connectivity-South-Florida-Comcast-Upstream-slow-Buffering...

Frequent Visitor

still no reply from comcast technical support.

in another thread " " asked me to contact him via PM - replied with the account info he requested - nothing since his initial request for contact on the 10/11/17.

Sent a follow up PM.. nothing so far..

Called the On-Prem tech that was here "Carlos" no update from maintenance yet either.

Available for either a call, email or PM.

Frequent Visitor

Upload speeds STILL horrid. im seeing huge dropped packets for upload.... feels like a bad route somewhere in the comcast network.....

Got a reply PM from   about changing me over to IPv4 for testing....nothing else at this time....

Frequent Visitor

After reading THIS Forum post:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Is-Comcast-throttling-or-not-My-upload-speeds-are-sud...

The issue sounds to be very similar....

Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 12

I upgraded to Comcast Xtreme 105 internet earlier in the year, primarily because I've found my data needs going way up over the past year or two.  All of my games these days are coming to me digitally via Valve's Steam service, and even Xbox One / PS4's digital marketplace.  I watch a ton of videos online, and I also upload a lot of videos to Youtube (10+ minute clips, usually 2-3x a day). 

Two days ago my upload speeds crashed, I now see far under 1mbit to Youtube, with 800-1000mb files (1920x1080 30fps at 12mbps encode) taking around 2 hours to upload.  I've also tested uploads now over Skype, and via DropBox, the upload rate is always the same - under 1mbit.  Since this started the most I've seen my upload go at this point is 300Kb, but it's often under that, despite subscribing to Extreme 105.  I've verified this through Netlimiter 3 Pro.

Needless to say I'm pretty upset, especially given that I have tried reaching out to Comcast about this four times now.  Twice via online social media, no response at all, and twice via phone.  I have a pending "tier 2" escalation finally, but I have to wait for at least 24 hours to hear back.  I'm hoping others in this forum can lend some advice / share info that might explain what's going on here. 

Before I agreed to do this big package upgrade from Blast (including the new Xfinity X1 DVR, which seems to consume even more data) I made sure that there was indeed no data cap.  Talking to the rep today, they suggested that it was indeed lifted, and shouldn't be a factor.  Here's a screenshot of my data usage, which again I feel is bloated because of the X1 on-demand that we often watch now, but even if not, is by no means excessive for someone consuming and sharing media online daily-

http://puu.sh/awUfp/89b8e258c0.png

I really don't know what to do / think at this point.  If this is what I'm going to have to deal with every month now then I'm out of here, and won't be coming back to Comcast again. 

Edit: I should also point out that my bandwidth speed tests indicate that the bandwidth is there, it's just when I try to actually make use of my connection that the speed is extremely limited.  Nothing has changed w/my router, or my cable modem.  I also tested uploads on two different computers.

Edit #2 - Some information on my up and downstream channels via the modem page - http://puu.sh/awY4A/098b02839d.png

Edit #3 - I just tested streaming as well, via Twitch.tv.  It is dropping over 80% of packets on anything about 500kb/s - http://puu.sh/ax1Fu/f94bbfde29.png.  The pathetic aspect of this is for the past few days Comcast has given me absolutely no warning or notification of reduced speeds, the speedtest results make it seem like everything is normal - http://puu.sh/ax2EB/f5374f5344.png

Edit #4 - It's happening again, now in October 2014.  See my post (#4 in this thread) for details.