Community Forum

TG862G/NA Only using 1 bonded downstream

New Poster

TG862G/NA Only using 1 bonded downstream

I just bought my own modem, so I could avoid a modem rental fee. I am having an issue, but I believe I know the problem. I have a TG862G/NA that is only using 1 upstream and 1 downstream bonded channels, so the speeds are extremely slow compared to what I am subscribed to. I believe this is due to the old firmware on the device. How do I go about getting Xfinity to push updated firmware to my device? Is this automatic? Or can I get Xfinity support to push an updated firmware?
Expert

Re: TG862G/NA Only using 1 bonded downstream

First, try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. You will lose any customized settings. This will help it to pull whatever firmware load that is queued up on the system.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Ok, I will try that. I did full reset it a couple of times yesterday during setup, but I can try that again.
New Poster

Tried this again. Doesn’t seem to have done anything. Smiley Sad
Expert

What do the signal stat figures look like on those channels ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

kathy_router.PNG

New Poster

Here is the current HW/FW as well.

kathy_router_2.PNG

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

New Poster

RF Parameters

Downstream

DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 32 675.00 MHz -2.78 dBmV 35.97 dB 256QAM 247511084 0 0
Reset FEC Counters

Upstream

UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 53 36.50 MHz 51.25 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM

Status
System Uptime: 0 d: 0 h: 17 m
Computers Detected: staticCPE(1), dynamicCPE(2)
CM Status: Telephony-Reg Complete
Time and Date: Sun 2019-03-03 16:23:52

Interface Parameters
Interface Name Provisioned State Speed (Mbps) MAC address
LAN Port 1 Enabled Up 1000(Full) 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:71
LAN Port 2 Enabled Down ----- 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:71
LAN Port 3 Enabled Down ----- 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:71
LAN Port 4 Enabled Down ----- 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:71
CABLE Enabled Up ----- 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:72
MTA PassWithWarnings Up ----- 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:73
New Poster

Hardware Information

System: ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PacketCable 2.0 Touchstone Telephony Gateway
HW_REV: 5
VENDOR: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.
BOOTR: 1.2.1.61
SW_REV: 7.5.63C.SIP.PC20.TW
MODEL: TG862G
Serial Number: D3HBSMEC2525646
Battery Charger FW Rev: 02.10
Options:  

Firmware Build and Revisions
Firmware Name: TS070563C_032913_MODEL_862_GW_TW_SIP_PC20
Firmware Build Time: Fri Mar 29 11:42:55 EDT 2013
eSAFE 0 FW Revision: 2.0.40_0920E

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Expert

The upstream power is on the high side and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels . That can cause the un-bonding of channels, random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

New Poster

I was able to take a splitter out on the cable and here are the following results:

Do these seem out of norm?

Thank you again. Smiley Happy

RF Parameters

Downstream

DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 32 675.00 MHz 0.69 dBmV 36.17 dB 256QAM 125996444 2 33
Reset FEC Counters

Upstream

UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 53 36.50 MHz 48.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 5120 kSym/s 64QAM

Status
System Uptime: 0 d: 0 h: 56 m
Computers Detected: staticCPE(1), dynamicCPE(2)
CM Status: Telephony-Reg Complete
Time and Date: Sun 2019-03-03 17:02:57

Interface Parameters
Interface Name Provisioned State Speed (Mbps) MAC address
LAN Port 1 Enabled Up 1000(Full) 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:71
LAN Port 2 Enabled Up 100(Full) 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:71
LAN Port 3 Enabled Down ----- 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:71
LAN Port 4 Enabled Down ----- 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:71
CABLE Enabled Up ----- 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:72
MTA PassWithWarnings Up ----- 5C:57:1A:8F:C8:73
Expert

The "NA" designation is a generic North American one, the Comcast specific model has the "CT" designation on it. It's likely the modem is incompatible. 

I suggest you should return it and get a more modern, compatible one. 

Expert

51 dB on the upstream is high. Seems that there may be a signal / connection quality impairment.

Frequent Visitor

The retail tg862G sometimes come with a old firmware version that will not update automatically on Comcasts system.  They will need a specific updated firmware pushed to them in order for them to operate properly, fully utilize channel bonding.  Unfortunately this is not something that the normal "tier" agents typically recognize or even know about.  I do not know this person but seems like he may be able to help, or at least get you to someone that does.  https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/1125291

@ComcastJohnN 

Expert

Firmware has nothing to do with how many channels a modem will lock on to. Signal / connection quality impairments can.

Besides, the most current version of firmware available from the ISP is always available on the system and is automatically pushed out to devices

Comcast JohnN does not normally handle these type of issues.

Frequent Visitor

Yep, those are the standard boiler plate answers.  In this specific case however, I bet not.  The old firmware loaded will cause it to only bond to one upstream, and one downstream channel, and it will not update without manual intervention.  In this specific case stop with the general rf troubleshooting it is not going to help.  For the original poster of this thread, i hope you are planning on using a seperate wifi router attached to the 862G as the wifi built in is pretty lacking.  A Better option would be to just return it and buy something such as the SVG2482AC.  This would alleviate your current (firmware) and future (poor wifi) problems.

Expert

@downinitjr wrote:

Yep, those are the standard boiler plate answers.  .

I'm not a CC employee. I don't do "boilerplate answers", sorry......

Highlighted
Expert

@downinitjr wrote:

A Better option would be to just return it and buy something such as the SVG2482AC.  This would alleviate your current (firmware) and future (poor wifi) problems.

Which is what I stated earlier, however, I'd stay away from the SVG2482AC as it's saddled with the Puma 6 chipset and there have been reports from users who can't properly customize the network settings on it.  I'd suggest the Netgear C7100V or the Motorola MT7711.

Or better yet, a standalone eMTA modem and a separate router. 

Expert

@downinitjr wrote:

A Better option would be to just return it and buy something such as the SVG2482AC.  This would alleviate your current (firmware) and future (poor wifi) problems.

FWIW, the SVG2482 is also a gateway device which is still subject to the firmware being updated by the ISP.