Community Forum

TG862 Can't Add Static IP Address

Regular Contributor

TG862 Can't Add Static IP Address

In the past, I could add devices with static IP addresses via my router. It appears that a firmware upgrade killed this option. I need static IPs for my network.  Any ideas? 

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: TG862 Can't Add Static IP Address

From your recent topic, thought you were going to upgrade to a newer model ?
Regular Contributor

I'm waiting for delivery of the upgraded gateway. I was curious as to why I could add the static IPs in the past but not now possible with the TG862.

Diamond Problem Solver

If you no longer want to be a prisoner of their every whim, why not ditch renting their gateway devices and get your own high quality cable modem and a separate router and have more features and full and better control of your home network.

Regular Contributor

EG wrote:

If you no longer want to be a prisoner of their every whim, why not ditch renting their gateway devices and get your own high quality cable modem and a separate router and have more features and full and better control of your home network.

If I decide to go to bridge mode with the new gateway, what features should I look for in a router?

Diamond Problem Solver

Do you also have and wish to continue to use their phone service ? Which speed tier are you subscribed to ?

Regular Contributor

Yes I do wish to continue the X1 phone sevice and I have the 150 Blast.

EG wrote:

Do you also have and wish to continue to use their phone service ? Which speed tier are you subscribed to ?

Diamond Problem Solver

First. X1 has nothing to do with phone service, it is what they call their top of the line *DVR*. Second, unless you wan't to stop paying the monthly rental fee altogether (another story), then just put it in bridge mode as you stated and use a high quality router with it. The phone service will still function.

Here is an excellent site for researching routers;

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Contributor

The problem is technology changes so frequently that when you buy the new modem it doesn’t take long for it to become outdated - plus there’s the cost of it al. I’ve thought about getting a Comcast approved gateway, but $200 or more is expensive.

I agree with the original poster - this capability was previously allowed by using the admin site, but then Comcast changed over to xFi.
Diamond Problem Solver

Year old dead thread now being closed...