Community Forum

TG1682G Replacement

New Poster

TG1682G Replacement

I currrently have Blast tier 150m (however I never see that performanced, usually 80-90m) and using a TG1682G gateway. The gateway did not provide acceptable coverage in my house so I purchased a separate wireless router (much better) and put the gateway into bypass mode.

So I don't have phone service and only using the router as a modem and paying almost $14 a month for it. I have been considering purchasing my own modem and returning the gateway. I have read the suggestions on this forum and have a couple in mind.

However, as I understand it, firmware updates can only be applied by CC and they will only upgrade units that are rented from them (is this true?). That would mean even If I purchased a modem, the firmware would be fixed and any manufacturer updates cound't be applied.

Any advice or inputs on this?

Charlie

Expert

Re: TG1682G Replacement

All modem/gateway firmware updates are pushed by Comcast and installed regardless if you rent the modem or not. For the router, you would have to update it yourself or let auto update do it for you.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: TG1682G Replacement

Thanks for your quick reply. I had read a comment on a product review that CC didn't, just wanted to verify.

Thanks,

Charlie