Community Forum

TG1682G Performance

Frequent Visitor

TG1682G Performance

I recently switched my TG1682G from bridge mode to regular mode. It's nice that I need one less device for my network but making changes via the GUI is excruciatingly slow. For example, from the Connected Devices screen, changing a device to use a reserved IP address takes almost 2 minutes from the moment I hit "save" until the screen refreshes. Extra fun is that it times out about 25% of the time. It's not specific to this function. It's slow doing everything.

Is this the expected behavior?

I'm using the Comcast equipment mostly because when I encounter a problem (maybe once or twice a year), it makes troubleshooting much easier as I can say "it's your stuff, make it work" rather than having the distraction of my equipment being blamed (which it might well be).

The SB6 is the logical upgrade and is available but I have no idea if it's any faster to administer plus I hear some ugly stuff about reliability due to the Intel chipset.

Expert

Re: TG1682G Performance

@tannebil wrote:

Is this the expected behavior?

I'm using the Comcast equipment mostly because when I encounter a problem (maybe once or twice a year), it makes troubleshooting much easier as I can say "it's your stuff, make it work" rather than having the distraction of my equipment being blamed (which it might well be).

The SB6 is the logical upgrade and is available but I have no idea if it's any faster to administer plus I hear some ugly stuff about reliability due to the Intel chipset.

No, it's not normal for it to be that slow. I'd suggest a factory reset (you'll lose all of your custom settings.) If you get no joy, replace it. If you can get an XB6, go for it. It is not plagued with the same problems as the old chipset. I'm sure someone will be along soon being all apoplectic about how horrible gateways are and such - but ignore the noise. Also if you want your own equipment, there shouldn't be any reason for you to get what you want. The phone reps can be limited in their ability to fix connection issues. Often it comes down to "send a tech" or "replace your modem" because that's what's available to them. Once you have your wiring and network dialed in, you should be trouble free 99.99% of the time. If you want your own equipment, you should feel comfortable with that. We are always happy to help! 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.