Community Forum

Surboard modem and Linksys router won't connect

New Poster

Surboard modem and Linksys router won't connect

Hi,
I have a surfboard modem and Linksys router both of which were working just fine yesterday. Then it says I no longer have connection. I was on the phone for close to an hour. We reset my modem and router I unplugged and replugged everything. The customer service representative said it was showing I was connected from his end. So I went directly from the modem and still couldn't get signal. Keep in mind it was working an hour before. He did a few resets from his end. All power cords are the ones made for them. I changed out Ethernet cables. I factory reset my router. He said that it's normal for surfboard modem to not connect directly to a laptop. Is this true? Anything else I can try?
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Surboard modem and Linksys router won't connect

Are the "US", the "DS", and the "Online" indicator lights lit steadily ?

And the modem needs to be power-cycled each and every time that you change the device that is being connected to it.

Expert

wrote:
 He said that it's normal for surfboard modem to not connect directly to a laptop. 

Eh no. But every time you plug a device into the modem, you must power cycle the modem. EG is asking what the lights are doing so we know if the modem is actually on-line or if there is some other issue. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Diamond Problem Solver

wrote:

wrote:
 He said that it's normal for surfboard modem to not connect directly to a laptop. 

Eh no. But every time you plug a device into the modem, you must power cycle the modem. 

Darn echoes... !!! 

New Poster

I power cycled it every time I made a change anything else you can think of?
Diamond Problem Solver

How about the lights ?

Expert

How about the lights ?

(echo echo echo) 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Diamond Problem Solver

Smiley Wink