Community Forum

Suggest me a good modem for Gigabit Internet with telephone jack, I will use my own wifi router

Regular Visitor

Suggest me a good modem for Gigabit Internet with telephone jack, I will use my own wifi router

Hi all, I am moving to Xfinity Gigabit with 1gbps speed plan with unlimited internet package.

I would like to buy my own modem for this. A friend of my who has the same plan rants about the modem issues he has been facing for months. For him the internet connection drops, and then he has to call the tech support and they have to factory reset and repurpose the firmware for 1gbps speed.

Anyways that's not my problem, i would like to use my own modem that also has a telephone jack. Oh, and i dont care if does not have a wifi router. I will use my own Asus Nighthawk wifi ac router.

Pls note: My PC hardware can handle the gig speed.

Expert

Re: Please suggest me a good modem for Gigabit Internet with telephone jack

There is no modem that supports GIgabit Internet and voice all together, so it means you would need to get your own modem, router (or a gateway), and an eMTA. I will be updating this reply shortly with the amazon links for suggestions.

Modems:

NETGEAR CM1000-100NAS

Motorola MB8600

Arris SB8200

If you want a DOCSIS 3.1 Gateway with Wi-Fi built in:

NETGEAR C7800 (Nighthawk X4S)

eMTA:

Since you dont need a high end modem to take care of voice only, i would recommend the TM722g, but its hard to find one new on Amazon when at least I searched, so I would possibly go with the TM822G, since on Amazon it is a bit cheaper the 822R and not really different from it.

Arris TM822G

Just when you do, make sure you are allowed to have two separate modems, which I believe you are allowed especially when one is for Internet and one for Voice, people at an Xfinity Store would know better, and when you go to activate, just call Comcast at either 800-XFINITY or 800-COMCAST and tell the representative that you are using it that way and make sure they are aware of which one is going to be Internet Only and Voice Only so that it can be activated properly.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your replies. Really appreciate it.

The technician will be coming in tomorrow to install. I will run down to Bestbuy and Fry's and see which one they have in stock. If they do not.. then I might have to settle down with Xfinity's own modem for a few months until i get my own.

By the way, do u suggest me anything I should let the technician know when he sets up the modem.

I have been hearing (colleages at work) a lot of techicians were not able to get the 1gig speed right from the get go.. and that required a lot of back and forth with tech support on phone with level 2 getting engaged.

So what is eMTA? I dont mind removing the telephone line (that way i can save 10 bucks), i primarily need a telephone line for fax. But if i can use a free phone service such as google's that works as well. Pls suggest/guide.

Expert

The only thing you really need to tell the technician is if you do get the modems you need, just present it to the technician instead of installing and activating the XB6 gateway. Other than that, it should be pretty standard of what the technician should be doing such as checking your signals. The biggest thing I would make sure, is that speed tests are ran after activation to make sure you are up and running.

I currently do not have Gig Tier so I don't have any personal experience to share on my side of it, but fingers crossed it works right from activation.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@AppreciateIt wrote:

The technician will be coming in tomorrow to install. I will run down to Bestbuy and Fry's and see which one they have in stock. If they do not.. then I might have to settle down with Xfinity's own modem for a few months until i get my own.

By the way, do u suggest me anything I should let the technician know when he sets up the modem.

I have been hearing (colleages at work) a lot of techicians were not able to get the 1gig speed right from the get go.. and that required a lot of back and forth with tech support on phone with level 2 getting engaged.

So what is eMTA? I dont mind removing the telephone line (that way i can save 10 bucks), i primarily need a telephone line for fax. But if i can use a free phone service such as google's that works as well. Pls suggest/guide.

To add:

Those nighmare scenarios are precisely why a tech install for Gigabit can come in handy. Certainly helped my own situation a lot when I got the service. I did have the XB6 gateway for a few weeks before I decided to buy my own modems and a more robust router. 

eMTA = Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter, i.e. a cable modem that has the phone function built in.

I actually found that having the Phone service on my Triple Play Bundle wound up being cheaper than having a Double Play only, plus I found it to be a little more reilable than having an internet only fax or phone service.

Of course, your own situation might vary from mine, so whatever saves you money is always good in my book. 

Expert

@darkangelic wrote:

@AppreciateIt wrote:

To add:

Those nighmare scenarios are precisely why a tech install for Gigabit can come in handy. Certainly helped my own situation a lot when I got the service. I did have the XB6 gateway for a few weeks before I decided to buy my own modems and a more robust router. 

eMTA = Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter, i.e. a cable modem that has the phone function built in.

I actually found that having the Phone service on my Triple Play Bundle wound up being cheaper than having a Double Play only, plus I found it to be a little more reilable than having an internet only fax or phone service.

Of course, your own situation might vary from mine, so whatever saves you money is always good in my book. 

Hey,

Just curious, how did the installation go?