Community Forum

Sudden slow internet speed.

Frequent Visitor

Sudden slow internet speed.

Suddenly my download speed dropped from 27Mbps to 4Mbps. Speedtest sometime show the download first going nicely at 27Mbps and then suddenly slows down a lot near the end.

Spoke to customer support and was unhelpful. he did indicate that he will send a tech, but i am hoping to see if there is any other option since it will take a few days for the tech to come.

Signal of SNR is 37dB, Power Level of Down is 0 or -1dBmV and Up is 51dBmV.

Modem is Motorola SB6141 SurfBoard DOCSIS 3.0.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Sudden slow internet speed.

Having the same issue, sudden slowness began on the 20th. Download is 1.17 to 2.01Mbps, upload is 0.31 to 2.17.  No one at comcast has any idea what the problem can be.  Modem reccycled, and no changes on this end. Getting into the comcast site takes forever, other sites are not as bad.  I will schedule a tech if it doesn't improve by tomorrow.

Regular Visitor

I had the same thing happen on the 20th at night.  My download speed dropped from approx. 25Mbs down to less than 3Mbps!  Upload speeds also went from 4-5Mbps to less than 1Mbs.  I recycled my router, modem, I even removed the router and connected the modem directly to my PC but no luck. My speed-test would also start out fast but then slow down near the end. I'm in Fremont California and have a Motorola SB6120.  I haven't spoke to CS yet because sometimes these thing clear up but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one seeing this slowdown.  I'm at work now so I don't know if this has cleared up yet.

Expert

Kaze105 wrote:

Suddenly my download speed dropped from 27Mbps to 4Mbps. Speedtest sometime show the download first going nicely at 27Mbps and then suddenly slows down a lot near the end../...

We need more information please:

- Post your upstream and downstream signal levels. Click the link or type: http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1 into your browser. We are interested in your power levels (dBmV) and your Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR). You may also want to contact Comcast and ask for your upstream SNR (uSNR) and receive level.
- Post your modem’s error logs.
- Post the make and model of your modem.
- Post the make and model of your router if you have one.
- Let us know if you contacted Comcast or had a tech visit.
- Let us know what the lights on your modem are doing when you are having problems.

- Plug directly into the modem (no router) via ethernet and run ShaperProbe.
- If you have already posted some of this information, you don't need to post it again.

I am not an employee.
New Poster

Chrome won't recognize those two IP addresses.

But SpeakEasy's test, from my machine, suggests that the problem is with the internet.  I'm getting downs of as much as 30+ and ups of a fairly steady 10 on most of the route choices, but New York and a couple of the others are much lower.  New York is worst, with downs of less than 4 (altho the up remains around 10).

This happens fairly constantly, for the past month or so, beginning in the late evening.  What's up?

- oldman

Frequent Visitor

Everything is back to normal this morning for no reason.  Either Comcast has some seriously incompetant folks working the support lines, or they prefer not telling customers there is a problem.  It is a joke contacting them for a problem.  Something needs to change.

Regular Visitor

This morning I tested the speed at speedtest.comcast.net. My upload speed seemed to be normal at around 4.8Mbps, and my download speed was much better, finishing the test at about 13.5Mbps, but that is still much slower than the 25Mbps that I used to get. The download test starts out slow, then it picks up speed peaking at maybe 29Mbps, but averaging only 13.5Mbps at the end of the test.  Weird but when I use speakeasy to do the test instead of comcast, I see it going fast at the beginning of the test, but slowing down near the end. 

FYI, yesterday I did the test and my  SNR was 37 or 38 dB, and my download power level was 0 or -1dBmV. That seems normal I think.

Frequent Visitor

Regular Visitor

WoooooooooHooooooooo! Full speed ahead!  It looks like Comcast fixed the problem.  I just tested the speed again after my computer booted up, and I got 29.93Mbps download and 5.84Mbps upload.  That was from the Comcast speed test.  I also tested it at Speakeasy and received virtually the same results!  I'm happy now but will it last?

Contributor

I hate to be pessimistic, but if they weren't aware of a problem in the first place, I doubt they fixed anything. 

Official Employee

Realistically do you think someone in the call center would know if Steve was having issues just in his neighborhood? Or what a Maintanance guy is doing on a particular day? Absolutely not. Hopefully it's fixed
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

All of that information for intermittant slow connection problems sounds great but the IP to connect to comcast to find out the information requires a username and password different from the one used to login to my account. How the heck are we supposed to find out what the username and password is?

Contributor

With all the responses you would think Comcast would get on the ball!

As for those asking about your equipment, what nonsense! Don't they listen, this is an intermittent problem. My speeds using Xfinity speedtest ranges from 25-30mbps down to 1-5mbps! This can happen anytime of the day, sometimes for a short time, sometimes for awhile??? This is obviously Comcast problem. I tell you, Fios is looking a lot better!!! My neighbor dropped Comcast and went with Verizon the other day, said he was sick and tired of Comcast crappy performance! I'm getting there too!

New Poster

The problem is not solved.  Here's my Comcast test at 11:49 pm on Friday, 8/30:

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/302204062.png

So from normal 30 down, 10 up I'm now getting 13 down, 8 up.  This is consistent with what's been happening the past few months, and this is the time that it usually goes down.

- oldman

Frequent Visitor

Signal level are posted in first post.

I do have a no ranging signal occuring once in a while according to log.

Model of modem is also in first post. Also contacted comcast. They reset my modem like 10000 times. The problem was first fixed after a few days, but now I am getting the problem again. The speed is 2Mbps download instead of 25Mbps that I am paying for.

Getting annoyed by this sudden constant slowdown.

Expert

Kaze,

Is there a router? Upstream receive level? Error logs?

I am not an employee.
New Poster

same problem here in Arlington, VA (DC area), extremely slow download speeds:

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/302365322.png

Frequent Visitor

i-am-nerdburg wrote:

Kaze,

Is there a router? Upstream receive level? Error logs?

No router. Error logs show:

5-Warning Z00.0 MIMO Event MIMO: //stored MIMO = -1 post cfg file MIMI=-1

3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received.

Upstream level is 51 52 51.

I have read that this is a little high. Also read http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/td-p/12... but it doesnt indicate how to reduce the upstream level.

Expert

Your upstream level is a little too high (should be less than 50dBmV) -- this may be your problem. Usually this is caused by too many splitters or bad/substandard wiring. It's possible it is a Comcast issue, but most likely the problem exists between the tap (pole) and your modem.

The upstream level rises because the modem is working harder to talk to the headend. It could be due to attenuation (too many splitters, long coax runs) or an upstream noise issue.

I am not an employee.
Contributor

If it was an issue inside the house, it would be an issue all the time! I have 25-30 Mbps down & 4-5 Mbps up, most of the time. Though it does fluctuate, it is mostly better than 15+ Mbps down & 3.5+ Mbps up.

Now as everyone else is saying, these pass few months have seen time where speeds drop down so slow it is a joke! I just ran Speed Test and got,             Ping                    Down               Up

11 ms                28.9 Mbps      4.51 Mbps

Those are just fine for me, but they are never consistent! I have had Ping that has ranged between 100's and 1000"s of ms and download speeds below 1Mbps! It has never been like that before, this has been going on these pass few months and is a simple Comcast failure! Maybe it is time they spend some of those ridiculous profits and fix these issues!

As I said before on another post, my neighbor got so tired of this failure and now has Fios and loves it! So far the intermittent slow downs have only been a inconvenience to me. As I don't do massive downloads or spend much time videos! But when I have to wait for a simple page to load it can be very aggravating! With Fios great offers it may become worth the time and energy to switch! If this continues or get worse it will be bye bye Comcast!!!!

New Poster

You guys got better than i got.  i got internet 2 weeks ago and was promissed 3mbs download.  i switched from AT&T DSL that was only 600kbs.   and i tought for the same money for 3mb,  it was a no brainer.  But here comes the Problems.  From day 1, all my speed tests tell me my ping is 25 which is good,  my download speed is 3.45mbs and upstream of 1.4.    BUT!!!!   Now forget about the speed test for a sec.  Nomatter where i go to download a file,  like lets just say http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6812,  which is directx 11 sdk,  it is over 500mb in size.  When i downloaded this file at my parents house, which is comcast ofcourse, same speed too, 3mb.  The dircxt downloaded at 3498kbs  which is 3.49mbs.  BUT   When i come home, i download the exact same file, at same exact site from microsot,  which has a 80mbs connection btw.  My Superior New and suppose to be better internet downloads the same file at 417kbs  maxx.   THAT IS .4mbs.

I suppose to get 3mbs and i dont even get 1,  and the best part is,  i been chatting with online chat support, and omg,  i do believe 9 year old children could understand better than some of those guys on there.  It has been 8 days now, and no luck.  But the last guy was off the wall,  i explained the whole story,  he did all his diagnostics and whatever he could think of ot fix the problem for me,  by the way which took like 2 hours.  We still was at square 1,  i told him from start my modem isnt working correctly.

His big idea was  go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run the test.  so i did, for the millionth time by now,  like before  is says 3.4mbs downstream, and 1.4 upstream.  

His response is, we canot sent you a replacement modem because the speedtest results shows my equiptment was ok,   this dude is nuts.   i asked him why he not use comcast speed test,  and used some other company version of the online speed test to check my modems health.   i was amazed on how this guy even got hired for comast.   he knew nothing about anything,  nor the copasity to understand my real problem.  

I said to him in all caps  like this

LISTEN TO ME

i dont care what the speed test says

forget about the speed test for 1 sec ok

my max download speed is 417kbs  period  nomatter what the speed test says

my parents live 1 block away and it download at 3400kbs,  i waited 28 min at home  which finished at my parents house in 10 sec.

Next i tried to remember why i gave up 600kbs DSL for 417kbs,      i was starting to believe i made the wrong decision.

then they agen said again,  we cant replace my modem becase the speed test showed my equiptment was ok,  and again i siad do you not understand me at all,   please,  i hope it finally makes sense

BUT NOPE,,  whatta shocker

Once again,  he said he wont send me another modem, when mine is ok,   this guy is prob 9k miles away,  why does this guy place the trust of comcast equiptment in a company Ookla Speedtest.net.  But if i ran the call center i would have found some people who actually understand the concept of internet.  Im suprised that some even know their own name.

Then i siad,  for one,  if i was you i would send people to comcast speed test and use that one,  you get same result but, and it belongs to comcast.   I Lets see,  if i worked at a fried chicken joint,  if you came up to order,  i wouldnt say if your hungry,  there is a nice fish joint over there.

But end resault.  i said to the wierd,  confused,  and unaware employee

and i quote

LISTEN,  I SAID MY MODEM IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY,  I HAVE JUST GOT SERVICE 2 WEEKS AGO AND BEEN THE SAME SINCE DAY 1,  I DONT CARE WHAT OOKLA OR ANYOTHER SPEEDTEST WEBSITE SAYS,  I ONLY LEASE THIS MODEM,  EITHER YOU SEND ME A DIFFERENT MODEM, OR DISCONECTING MY SERVICE WILL BE THE FIRST THING I DO IN THE MORNING.  I DONT ASK FOR MUCH,  I WASTED 4 HOURS TALKING TO YOU,  WHEN I ASKED FOR THIS FROM THE VERY START.  MAN I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND ME FINALLY,  I WASTED 8 DAYS AND ABOUT 20 HOURS BY NOW,,   AND NOT ANYONE UNDERSTANDS.   

I SAID LAST TIME TO REP  SEND ME A MODEM TO REPLACE MY DEFECTIVE ONE, OR I WILL CANCEL SERVICE AS SOON AS THEY OPEN DOWNTOWN.  MY OLD DLS WAS FASTER ANYWAY.

THE OFFICAL COMCAST REP REPLY WAS

We can not replace any equiptment that is woking properly,  since the speedtest showed me that your equiptment is working correctly.  it dosnt matter is the modem is leased or not,   we only replace leased modems if they show as defective.  Yours seems to be fine.  Sorry we cant help ypu.

First thought was   OMG  Really

i have extensive networking and programming training, and i know when something isnt working right,  and this was soo obvious.   the rep couldnt understand why my download speed of the directx 11 sdk was only 417,  when i had him try to download it,  he said it downloaded at 80mbs for him.

i though to myself,  wow,  if he can download it at 80mbs,  which is the bandwith that microsoft currently uses,  then why doesnt he grasp the concept  if the speed test says 3mbs   but  it downloads actual files,  it maxxes out at 417kbs,  there has to be a problem,  my 10 year gets it, but not this guy

so i said ok,  I will come to local office when they open with all my equiptment and i will disconect my service and i will be sure to tell them why i will never get their service in the future.  I told him that i will make sure, that this rep is the reason why. 

All i wanted is to try a diffent modem

Since 9 reps and 8 lost hours has done nothing but waste my time, and made my blood boil.

And they said no

I said to him before leaving the chat

Last chance man,   I didnt even complain about bill for 3mbs service when all i got was .4mbs.  all i wanted was a different modem,  thats all.

His exact words

Thank you for trying comcast online chat,  if you anymore problems.  please feel free to use our online chat in the future.

I was like WHAT

i said  wait man

his reply   

is there anything else i can do for you today

i said yes

he said go ahead

and i said

i cant beleive you will sacrifice a customer, by letting me disconnect my service.  All over you think my modem is fine.

My modem is junk,   what ever happened to the customer is always right,  if it was me,  i wouldnt let a cutomer terminate service over a modem.  al long as they stay,  if they wanna try a diff modem to make them happy,  christ give them one, right.

BUT  the rep responded  after 5 minutes of nothing and said

Sorry,  we can not replace your modem,  the speed test you ran indicated that you modem was working ok,  we cant not replace.  sorry i cant help you anymore.  i hope you have a wonderfull day.

and he disconnected

MY FIRST THOUGHT WAS.   EITHER HE IS SO FAR GONE HE DIDNT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING I SAID TO HIM FOR 2 HOURS STRAIGHT

OR

COMCAST REALLY DIDNT EVEN WANT MY BUSINESS IN THE FIRST PLACE.   When people agree to pay for 3mb internet,  they expect to get 3mb internet.  not .41mbs internet.  

To be Honest     Nobody Has Ever Made Me This Mad Before

Every person i chatted to on here,  expecially the last rep,  instead of  realizing i had a problem and understanding what was wrong.  All they wanted to do is agrue with me about my modem being ok,  every employee agrued with me about it,  and every rep used top notch comcast systems to determine this,  they all used  www.speedtest.net.  that was all 9 reps,  offical tool they used to tell me and ague with me cause the other companies website said it was ok.   

BTW,  I will try one last attempt in person at local office,  before i cancel my service,  maybe they have the brain capasity to fully grasp the reality, that just because your website says its ok, and the download speed says 3mb,  doesnt mean GOD has spoken.  When logically every file from every place i can think of,  even if i try to download antivirus sofware offered by comcast,  from comcast website,  only downloads at top blazzing speed is 417,  which is 0.47.     To me  Obviously there is a problem somewhere.

I will let everyone know if the reps at the local office understand,  if so i might just finally have my full download speeds.

Expert
Moved:

This post was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Contributor

It's funny I was going to write the other day, because everything seemed to be working much better! My speeds actually seem to be holding at a rate that I didn't noticed any type of slow down at all! This previous post was dated 9-2-13  as of this morning things seemed great! BUT...

Late morning things started to slow down so much I ran there speedtest and you can see the number here,

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/307262992.png

Just in case they don't show they are as follows,

1932ms Ping     7.03Mbps Down    .58Mbps Up

that was taken a few minutes ago, around 3:45pm,

The funniest thing is that it seems Comcast has now hidden this thread by saying it violated policies!! One way to stop people from airing their complaints! Though it doesn't fix the problem and the slow move to other services!

Sad just sad.....

Just had to add on to this, I ran speedtest again, check it out!!!

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/307297022.png

3073ms Ping     4.20Mbps Down    .20Mbps Up

that was taken a few minutes ago, around 4:15pm,

Just amazing...

Ran Speed Test again, 6pm,

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/307355502.png

89ms Ping     16.79Mbps Down    2.28Mbps Up

Slowly getting better, but has been a terrible day! Also, as I have said before I normally get around,

11-16 ms Ping     25-30 Mbps Down    4-5 Mbps Up

At least I use to.....

Today's number 9/12/13 @ 4:00 p.m.

http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/308353772.png

128 ms Ping     30.70 Mbps Down    4.39 Mbps Up

If this would only stay like this I would be very happy!

Contributor

Hey mdfox2,

I can not say for sure the issues you are having are the same as most of us are talking about here? As I stated in my posts, performance issues are random. It started a couple of months ago and has been a pain! Though as I said in my last post, before, I was almost going to post a positive comment because speeds have been running really well this past week, until today! Back to the same B.S....

Just wanted to say, watch out on your text, it seems Comcast used your typing to hide this thread! So we need to start a new thread to spread the word! That is the only way to get Comcast to spend a little money that they overcharge us, to upgrade their system!!!

I am suprised that they had you use OOKLA speed test, becuase Comcast always tells me to run their speed test. Which is,

http://speedtest.comcast.net/