Community Forum

Streaming Pausing

New Poster

Streaming Pausing

I see a lot of posts on streaming pausing. I was watching Amazon videos on my TV with no problems for a long time. Recently I have been seeing a pause in some videos but not others. I recently bought the old XFiles seasons 1 & 2 from Amazon and I get 10 or so minutes in and they start pausing for some reason. Other newer movies and tv shows run fine.

I went downstairs to my other tv and the XFiles run fine. Of course my wife dosn't like those so I have to watch them upstairs. (I know, Man card issue right)

I logged into my XFinity router and saw that my tv down stairs was running 2G and my tv upstairs was running 5g. TV downstairs is new and the one up stairs is about 5 years old. Go figure.. I didn't see any way to switch from 5G to 2G on my older tv in the network settings. The only way I could get it to run 2G was to disable 5g on my Xfinity router. When I did that, no more pausing and the video clarity is better. 

The XFiles seasons I have are more than 10 years old. I am wondering if maybe there is a buffering issue wth 5G and older encoded videos?  Who knows..I could have done more testing like run my Laptop at 5G and try that but I am not that interested. I just want to watch the XFiles without the wife picking on me..Smiley Happy Maybe someone else wants to test further. 

I burned a day on this issue, I hope this helps someone resolve sooner. 

Tags (2)