Community Forum

Static IP and current IP address with residential dory modem

New Poster

Static IP and current IP address with residential dory modem

Hello,

I am a current ComCast customer. We have a standard residential dory modem and have (shared residential) Internet, TV cable and phone service. 

In a couple of months I will be working from home and my company will be paying for a Static IP address for my home office. 

My question: Is it possible to have two different IP addresses at the same residence? One being a  fast business static ip and the other being a residential ip? I’m assuming ComCast would need to run a separate cable to my house from the Cable box in the backyard to achieve this? If not, is it possible to have two IP addresses on one cable line coming into my house? If so, how does ComCast push a faster speed to the static ip modem and then a residential speed to the other? 

Please advise. 

Thank you.

Expert

Re: Static IP and current IP address with residential dory modem

If you need a static IP, you'll need a Business Class account. You can have more than one modem at your residence. Comcast Business Class (800) 391-3000.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Static IP and current IP address with residential dory modem

You'll also have to use their Business Class gateway device in order to get a statically assigned IP address. They use the RIP Protocol within it to route the static IP from the WAN to the LAN.