Community Forum

Static IP and VPN questions, assisting friend with business gateways

New Poster

Static IP and VPN questions, assisting friend with business gateways

Hey There,

I'm currently trying to assist a friend with a local business in setting up a site to site VPN tunnel between his two offices using Synology RT2600AC routers, behind Comcast Business Gatways. I'm a little confused on how to take advantage of the static IP comcast business has assigned to both his locations. 

One location has a technicolor business gateway, not sure of  the model at the moment, and his other site has one of the newest connectionpro gateways, again didn't take note of the model.

When I put both Gateways in Bridged mode, with our Synology routers hooked up to LAN port 1--->Wan port on Synology, and plug in our static IP information manually, I don't get an internet connection. 

Do I need to disable bridge mode, and hook the Synology Router up to port 1 with the static IP settings, and just enter Pseudo-bridge mode, or even leave it in normal mode, and just disable the Gateways firewall?

Has anybody had experience with using a Static IP from comcast, with a VPN router behind it? Am I going about this all wrong? Any advice is appreciated. I don't have a business account login, so I figured I'd start by asking here. 

Expert

Re: Static IP and VPN questions, assisting friend with business gateways

FWIW, the Comcast supplied Business Class gateway devices can not be in bridge mode. They must be in router mode in order for the statically assigned IP addresses to be able to be routed from the WAN to the LAN. The RIP protocol is used within the device. This question would be better asked in their official Business Class Help Forms as this is the Residential Class forum;

https://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/

This topic is now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!