Community Forum

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

Hi,

I hope somebody can help. I experienced random signal drops and when I looked up the event log it shows a lot of T3 time-outs and other things I don't understand. 
The drops appear more and more frequently without us changing anything, everything is still the same, we never moved the modem or did anything else.
My modem is a combined cable modem router, it's the Netgear C7800 (NETGEAR® Nighthawk® X4S AC3200 WiFi DOCSIS® 3.1)

Those are some of the logs:
1) MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=28:80:88:ab:77:00;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:65:40:83;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

2) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=28:80:88:ab:77:00;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:65:40:83;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=28:80:88:ab:77:00;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:65:40:83;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

4) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;CM-MAC=28:80:88:ab:77:00;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

I really hope somebody understands this and can help pointing me into the right direction to establish a healthy wifi network without any drops anymore.

Please find some screenshots here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yGo_DQqitRnxXOuGs9lb5FOSElB5HjO8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/163rvEoXudlr7XuFdK6RQhLvTVeF2szRD/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fpwEHeyyf1L8IW4tTnxUbz5d0JqxXvC9/view?usp=sharing

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

It's all wifi (2.4 and 5GHz). The embarrasing part is I can't test wired since we don't have any computer with an ethernet port anymore...

Highlighted
Expert

O/k, too bad.. So, even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time, the error log entries confirm that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you so much!
I am very grateful for your quick help and response!
I will keep you updated how everything went after comcast reached out to me.

Highlighted
Expert

Quite welcome ! Please do.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi ToniBanana. We appreciate you visiting and posting on our Forums. Apologies you are experiencing trouble with your service. I can assist with further troubleshooting your internet connectivity issues. Please send me a private message and include your full name and service address so I can access your equipment. You can click my name (ComcastJoeTru) to view my profile and send me a private message. Click "Send a private message" and private message me.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Everything seems to be resolved.
ComcastJoeTru initiated following and that did the trick apparently:

"We use the term reprovision your modem, to describe the method of completed removing the provisioning of the device from our plant / service. It is more that a reboot or reset. This then allows us to provision the modem and activate it. It establishes a new connection to out plat / headen..."

Thank you so much again for all your help!!!

Highlighted
Expert

Good to hear ! Hope things hold up for you. Good luck !! Now closing this thread.