Community Forum

Squirrels chewing coax

Frequent Visitor

Squirrels chewing coax

Yep, it is a thing. They are attracted to the metal in the coax from your home to the pole. 
I messed around for about a year trying to figure out intermitent problems. After a second Xfinity tech visit (he was also the first), the tech sheepishly said to me “I should have checked your wire to the pole. It was totally chewed to shreds. I have never seen such a badly chewed wire!”
So, the lesson is this: When you have connection problems with any DOCSIS based system and you have wires to the pole and squirrels, make sure the tech checks the outside wires!
New coax fixed it.

Official Employee

Re: Squirrels chewing coax

Hi, tsakmok. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this. It definitely helps out the community here. You are right about squirrels checking coax, it's definitely a thing! Happy to hear your issue is fixed. Thanks again, take care!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Squirrels chewing coax

And rabbits/rodents love any exposed underground cable

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!